PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football Spring Showcase Today at 10:00AM

TruBlu
03-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Just a heads up that the Spring Showcase (scrimmage?) is today, Saturday, March 4 at 10:00 AM.

It is being carried by the ACC Network Extra. It shows up as being on Watch ESPN app.

This seriously snuck up on me, so I wanted to alert others who might also have been in the dark.

Mods, please move/merge if needed.

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 09:54 AM
The culmination of Spring Practice more than two weeks before the first day of Spring. It seems weird but Coach Cutcliffe has had success with his early practice strategy.

EDIT: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/3018550/size/condensed/

TruBlu
03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
According to the announcers, there will be a scrimmage at the end of the drills.

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Coach Cutcliffe was talking about the running game and expressed a lot of pleasure with Brittain Brown (#22) and his performance during Spring. Coach stated they came very close to playing Brown several times last season but he did not want to use a year of his eligibility.

Coach also stated Nico Pierre (#6) is a powerful youngster who has learned how to play the running back position since moving over from quarterback.

Coach also discussed running the ball between the tackles with the objective being a four yard gain.

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Most Improved Offense:

Wide receiver Aaron Young (#8) and running back Shaun Wilson (#29). Coach Cutcliffe stated Shaun Wilson has always been outstanding but this Spring he has taken it to a new level.

Most Improved Defense:

Defensive end Tre Hornbuckle (#59) and safety Jeremy McDuffie (#9). Coach stated McDuffie has fully embraced the position change from cornerback to safety.

Blue Devil Heart Award:

Long snapper Bronson Bruneau (#46).

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 11:08 AM
According to the announcers, there will be a scrimmage at the end of the drills.

The scrimmage is coming up next for anyone desiring to watch. :cool: I am definitely watching.

TruBlu
03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Loved the t-shirt worn by Ben Humphreys (recovering from shoulder surgery) was wearing:

"Silence of the Rams"

chrishoke
03-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I thought Brittain Brown looked very good - powerful runner.

In a surprise, at least to me, Harris is the #2 QB. He threw a nice TD to a TE in close space. Parker is the #3 QB.

DT Mike Ramsey returned a fumble 80 some yds for a TD.

Aaron Young at WR looks like a star.

budwom
03-04-2017, 01:16 PM
that's great, we need more out of our wide receivers...I've heard good stuff about Lloyd, Bracey, this would be good.

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 01:35 PM
In a surprise, at least to me, Harris is the #2 QB. He threw a nice TD to a TE in close space.

Harris (#18) also threw a nice deep ball to Aaron Young (#8) down the right side.

I took some notes while watching the practice and will post some more random thoughts a bit later.

du_bb1
03-04-2017, 02:03 PM
this was encouraging-they looked pretty sharp-D line did ok but needs to fill those holes
created by the missing links.....
surprised to see Harris at # 2 -but he looked good

could be a good year !

Bob Green
03-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Here are some random thoughts:

There were multiple bad snap exchanges between Austin Davis (#50) and Daniel Jones (#17). This is surprising and unacceptable between two veteran players.

Jeremy McDuffie (#9) has switched positions from cornerback to strike safety. Jacob Morgenstern (#40) is the backup.
Brandon Feamster (#30) has switched positions from safety to cornerback. Feamster has great size at 6'3" 210.

As I posted above, Coach Cutcliffe praised running back Brittain Brown (#22). Commentator Dave Harding described Brown as an instant impact player. I know a lot of us fans who follow the program closely were surprised when Brown did not play as a true freshman. I am looking forward to seeing him in action come September.

David Harding also talked about the depth at wide receiver stating this is the deepest Duke has been at wide receiver in the David Cutcliffe era. Daniel Jones (#17) was interviewed at the end of the broadcast and he stated depth at wide receiver is a real bright spot. Scott Bracey (#11) was running with the second unit offense.

Austin Parker (#42) kicked two short field goals. A.J. Reed kicked the extra point after the TD reception by tight end Davis Koppenhaver (#81). It appears to me, Parker is ahead of Reed in place kicking duties.

Several different players fielded punts today but it appeared wide receiver Keyston Fuller (#7) was backed there most often.

There is a lot of work left to do in solidifying the offensive line. Ohio State transfer Evan Lisle (#72) and Zach Harmon (#63) played right tackle and right guard respectively in place of graduated seniors. Redshirt freshman Robert Kraeling (#77) started at left tackle in place of veteran Gabe Brandner (#76) who is still recovering from surgery.

The defensive line looked good today. Tre Hornbuckle (#59), Mike Ramsay (#99) and Trevon McSwain (#95) stood out to me.

Hopefully Jim Sumner and Olympic Fan will jump in to this thread and provide us their impressions of the practice and scrimmage.