PDA

View Full Version : So about those Duke/UNC ESPN promos...

scottdude8
03-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Anyone else notice how blatant a ripoff they are of the opening of each Stranger Things episode? They even turn "vs" upside down towards the end, which if you've seen the show you know what that means. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, that show is awesome and the opening is super cool... but still a bit of an odd choice, right?

Just wanted to make sure I'm not the only one who noticed this, haha. Also, everyone should watch that show regardless!

Matches
03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
The show is excellent.

Those promos are terrible.

Seriously, though - watch the show.

brlftz
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
What's wrong with a pop culture reference? I enjoyed the show, and the ad just makes me smile. I still dig the 80s style spooky synth music.

scottdude8
03-01-2017, 02:01 PM
What's wrong with a pop culture reference? I enjoyed the show, and the ad just makes me smile. I still dig the 80s style spooky synth music.

Nothing wrong with the reference... like I said I love the show and think the promos are sort of cool. Just seemed like a sort of random pop culture reference, especially since the show's peak popularity was last summer, right?

English
03-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Nothing wrong with the reference... like I said I love the show and think the promos are sort of cool. Just seemed like a sort of random pop culture reference, especially since the show's peak popularity was last summer, right?

Great catch--I was thinking it reminds me of the intro to Tron: Legacy (the sequel to the 80's movie Tron). Either way, the promo is complete cheese, and that's totally fine with me.

That said, I was a little disappointed that the Duke clip in the promo wasn't Jayson posterizing Meeks (instead, it was Grayson hanging on the rim after his monster dunk). Nits to pick and all, but seems like a missed opportunity.

martydoesntfoul
03-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Coincidence? I think not.

http://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/two-brothers-funnel-their-nostalgia-for-eighties-era-durham-summers-into-new-netflix-series-stranger-things/Content?oid=5051936

Two Brothers Funnel Their Nostalgia for Eighties-Era Durham Summers Into New Netflix Series Stranger Things

Gooch
03-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Coincidence? I think not.

http://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/two-brothers-funnel-their-nostalgia-for-eighties-era-durham-summers-into-new-netflix-series-stranger-things/Content?oid=5051936

Two Brothers Funnel Their Nostalgia for Eighties-Era Durham Summers Into New Netflix Series Stranger Things

This line made me feel old:

"The Carolina Theatre was a big part of our movie-going experience," Ross adds. "Amélie and Memento—seeing films like those were a big deal, and we were the youngest there by thirty or forty years."

Ouch.

Indoor66
03-01-2017, 03:16 PM
This line made me feel old:

"The Carolina Theatre was a big part of our movie-going experience," Ross adds. "Amélie and Memento—seeing films like those were a big deal, and we were the youngest there by thirty or forty years."

Ouch.

Gee, for some of us the Criterion Theater was a big part of our movie-going experience. 😃😎

Doria
03-01-2017, 04:49 PM
The color and font also reminded my roommate and me of the CW's Riverdale promos. Music and upside down U is all Stranger Things.

ricks68
03-02-2017, 12:03 AM
Gee, for some of us the Criterion Theater was a big part of our movie-going experience. 😃😎

Most ASSuredly.😉

ricks