PDA

View Full Version : Conference Tournament Week

Olympic Fan
03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
The NCAA Tournament actually opens tonight as 7-24 Maine begins its quest to win the national championship. All the Black Bears have to do is win three games in the Northeast Conference Tournament (opening tonight), the NCAA play-in game in Dayton and six more real NCAA games to claim the title. Despite their terrible season, they are just 10 games away from the NCAA title.

To me, that's what makes NCAA basketball so great -- we go into March and just about everybody in college basketball (except for a handful of teams in leagues that don't let everybody participate in the postseason tourney -- such as the Ivy, which this year will have four-team tourney) has a chance. In most leagues, just making the dance is the big prize, although they all dream of that headline making upset (some day a 16 will beat a 1).

I LOVE this week. There is so much energy and drama in small conference tournaments, especially those leagues where only the conference champ will get an NCAA bid.

It all starts tonight with four quarterfinal games in the Northeast Conference, four quarterfinals in the American East and two first-round games in the Ohio Valley.

We'll have conference tournament games every night from now until Sunday, Mar. 11.

Get pumped!

Kedsy
03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
The NCAA Tournament actually opens tonight as 7-24 Maine begins its quest to win the national championship.

Actually, the Atlantic Sun tournament started on Monday. The #1 and #2 seeds won and the #3 and #4 seeds lost.

rasputin
03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Actually, the Atlantic Sun tournament started on Monday. The #1 and #2 seeds won and the #3 and #4 seeds lost.

Actually, in the Atlantic Sun tournament on Monday, the winners were seeds 1, 2, 3, and 5, and the losers were 4, 6, 7, and 8. That #1 seed is Florida Gulf Coast, the team that made a big splash back in 2013.

gam7
03-01-2017, 02:16 PM

The question is: did you pick the #1 or #2 seed?

Hingeknocker
03-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Speaking of the Atlantic Sun, the 2-seed there is Lipscomb, who are one of the teams that has never made the NCAA tournament. Their drought is nothing compared to, say, Northwestern's, but still something interesting to watch in the A-Sun tournament.

Kedsy
03-01-2017, 02:38 PM
The question is: did you pick the #1 or #2 seed?

Yeah, ever since I watched them in the 2013 NCAAT, I've kinda liked FGCU.

ChillinDuke
03-01-2017, 02:51 PM
The NCAA Tournament actually opens tonight as 7-24 Maine begins its quest to win the national championship. All the Black Bears have to do is win three games in the Northeast Conference Tournament (opening tonight), the NCAA play-in game in Dayton and six more real NCAA games to claim the title. Despite their terrible season, they are just 10 games away from the NCAA title.

To me, that's what makes NCAA basketball so great -- we go into March and just about everybody in college basketball (except for a handful of teams in leagues that don't let everybody participate in the postseason tourney -- such as the Ivy, which this year will have four-team tourney) has a chance. In most leagues, just making the dance is the big prize, although they all dream of that headline making upset (some day a 16 will beat a 1).

I LOVE this week. There is so much energy and drama in small conference tournaments, especially those leagues where only the conference champ will get an NCAA bid.

It all starts tonight with four quarterfinal games in the Northeast Conference, four quarterfinals in the American East and two first-round games in the Ohio Valley.

We'll have conference tournament games every night from now until Sunday, Mar. 11.

Get pumped!

Actually, in the Atlantic Sun tournament on Monday, the winners were seeds 1, 2, 3, and 5, and the losers were 4, 6, 7, and 8. That #1 seed is Florida Gulf Coast, the team that made a big splash back in 2013.

Oh, oh, oh! I love this game! I'll play!

Actually, Maine is in the America East Conference - where the mighty Sea Wolves of Stony Brook reside. Go Wolves!

- Chillin

Neals384
03-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Oh, oh, oh! I love this game! I'll play!

Actually, Maine is in the America East Conference - where the mighty Sea Wolves of Stony Brook reside. Go Wolves!

- Chillin

Go Wolves - my alma mater!

Doria
03-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I love this week and the first week of the NCAAT. For me, it's a real opportunity to see a bunch of teams I'd normally never get the chance to see play. Also, I can learn fun and esoteric trivia, such as team mascots and the like!

pfrduke
03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
A handy-dandy reference guide to conference championship games:

March 4
Ohio Valley (ESPN2)

March 5
Atlantic Sun (ESPN)
Big South (ESPN)
Missouri Valley (CBS)

March 6
Colonial (CBSSN)
MAAC (ESPN/ESPN2)
Southern (ESPN/ESPN2)

March 7
Horizon (ESPN)
Northeast (ESPN2)
Summit (ESPN2)
West Coast (ESPN)

March 8
Patriot (CBSSN)

March 11
ACC (ESPN)
America East (ESPN2)
Big East (FOX)
Big Sky (ESPNU)
Big 12 (ESPN)
Big West (ESPN2)
CUSA (CBSSN)
MAC (ESPN2)
MEAC (ESPN2)
Mountain West (CBS)
Pac-12 (ESPN)
Southland (ESPN2)
SWAC (ESPNU)
WAC (ESPNU)

March 12
AAC (ESPN2)
Atlantic 10 (CBS)
Big Ten (CBS)
Ivy (ESPN2)
SEC (ESPN)
Sun Belt (ESPN2)
BRACKETS!!!

rasputin
03-01-2017, 06:03 PM
I love this week and the first week of the NCAAT. For me, it's a real opportunity to see a bunch of teams I'd normally never get the chance to see play. Also, I can learn fun and esoteric trivia, such as team mascots and the like!

Chanticleers? Billikens? Salukis?

Too bad we won't be seeing any of them in the NCAA's.

burnspbesq
03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Chanticleers? Billikens? Salukis?

Too bad we won't be seeing any of them in the NCAA's.

You might see the Anteaters. UC Irvine is tied for first in the Big West with UC Davis with one game left to play in the regular season. They play the Aggies in Irvine on Saturday. Winner gets the top seed for the Big West tournament.

gofurman
03-01-2017, 06:36 PM
You might see the Anteaters. UC Irvine is tied for first in the Big West with UC Davis with one game left to play in the regular season. They play the Aggies in Irvine on Saturday. Winner gets the top seed for the Big West tournament.

If only the Rhode Island School of Design was D1... Anyone know the mascot? without using Google? It's HILARIOUS

hint : when the hockey team - the Nads - play ... the students appropriately cheer ' Go Nads'

BigWayne
03-01-2017, 07:49 PM
If only the Rhode Island School of Design was D1... Anyone know the mascot? without using Google? It's HILARIOUS

hint : when the hockey team - the Nads - play ... the students appropriately cheer ' Go Nads'

Well I had to google it. We need to see this mascot in an ad waltzing through the cubicles in Bristol.

Click on Attachment 7215 (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7215)...NSFW.

gofurman
03-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Well I had to google it. We need to see this mascot in an ad waltzing through the cubicles in Bristol.

Click on Attachment 7215 (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7215)...NSFW.

That's right. The Rhode Island School of Design.. " SCROTIES". It's unreal. Would never hold up in D1

Awesome. I need a T-shirt

I couldn't make this up. When basketball season rolls around they cheer 'when the heat is on, our bal*ls stick together !!"

Cmon. That's funny

gofurman
03-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Anyway. Go Furman !!

Olympic Fan
03-01-2017, 11:58 PM
I could have missed one, but a quick check of the ESPN scoreboard makes it look like all 10 of the tournament games Wednesday night were won by the favorites.

Maine's glorious quest to run the table ends 10 games short with a 40-point loss.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2017, 02:51 PM
We have our first spot in the 68-team field filled --

Winthrop just beat Campbell to win the Big South.

Witchta State leading Illinois State in the MVC title game for the second spot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Pretty sure someone punched a ticket last night.

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure someone punched a ticket last night.

Jacksonville State won the Ohio Valley Conference on Saturday night.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2017-march-madness-auto-bids-conference-tournament-champions/zs8a5lfio7mkz1tb0w33fltr

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Florida Gulf Coast has won the Atlantic Sun Conference Championship with a 77-61 win over North Florida.

gofurman
03-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Way to go Winthrop Eagles - represent SC ! My Furman Paladins were a top seed in SoCon but lost in first game. Tough being in a lesser conference as you all know

Olympic Fan
03-06-2017, 12:52 AM
Okay, four teams in the field:

Jacksonville State in the Ohio Valley

Winthrop wins the Big South

Florida Gulf Coast wins the Atlantic Sun

Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley

So far, good news for bubble teams -- Wichita State might have been in contention for an at large bid had they lost. Illinois State (which lost to Wichita State in the finals) is an extreme longshot to get an at large.

Also, Belmont is the first team to secure a guaranteed NIT spot. Not sure about UNC Asheville, which I think tied Winthrop in the Big South (regular season conference champs that don't make the NCAA get NIT bids automatically)

Three more NCAA slots filled Monday night -- UNC-Wilmington vs. Charleston in the CAA; East Tennessee State vs. UNC-Greensboro in the Southern; Siena vs. Iona in the MAAC.

Reilly
03-06-2017, 09:45 AM
... Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley

So far, good news for bubble teams -- Wichita State might have been in contention for an at large bid had they lost ...

Prickly Gregg Marshall says he regrets he didn't get an at-large bid to stick it to Jerry Palm, and that Palm was rated 41st of 66 bracketologists (or something like that). Anyone know who did the bracketologist rankings/have a link?

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/5/14824700/gregg-marshall-celebrates-title-by-ripping-cbs-bracketologist-jerry-palm-wichita-state

Troublemaker
03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Prickly Gregg Marshall says he regrets he didn't get an at-large bid to stick it to Jerry Palm, and that Palm was rated 41st of 66 bracketologists (or something like that). Anyone know who did the bracketologist rankings/have a link?

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/3/5/14824700/gregg-marshall-celebrates-title-by-ripping-cbs-bracketologist-jerry-palm-wichita-state

It's even worse than that. Marshall's quote is that Palm is ranked 61st out of 88 bracketeers, and the site Marshall was reading is Bracket Matrix (http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html) (link is to the rankings of bracketeers).

Pretty cool how such a low-tech site has so many college basketball people reading it.

wsb3
03-06-2017, 09:04 PM
UNCW in again. Now please don't let them be in our bracket so I can pull for them. Remarkable coaching job & now back to back NCAA appearances & they may just win a game this year.

Wander
03-06-2017, 09:54 PM
the Ivy, which this year will have four-team tourney

I somehow missed that this was a thing this year. Poor Princeton - undefeated in 2017 and has to play a true road game to get in the tournament.

DU82
03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
In the Northeast Conference final, it's St. Francis vs. Mount St. Mary. It's the Red Flash of PA rather than the Terriers of NY, so they continue their futility along with Army, William & Mary and the Citadel. Northwestern, we hope, will drop the non-tourney teams to four (of those eligible since the beginning.)

BigWayne
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
UNCW in again. Now please don't let them be in our bracket so I can pull for them. Remarkable coaching job & now back to back NCAA appearances & they may just win a game this year.

Right now, it's about a 50/50 chance we see them in our pod. Despite a rosy RPI score, the lack of a top 50 win is pushing all the bracket guys to put UNCW at a 12. If Duke is a 4 or 5, a 12 seed will be in our pod. We will probably get sent to Greenville. UNCW will likely either be in Greenville or Orlando. If UNCW somehow slides up to an 11 seed and Duke stays a 4, then we will miss them. Alternatively, if we win the ACCT, we will move up above a 4 and miss UNCW if they stay a 12.

Olympic Fan
03-07-2017, 09:40 PM
In the Northeast Conference final, it's St. Francis vs. Mount St. Mary. It's the Red Flash of PA rather than the Terriers of NY, so they continue their futility along with Army, William & Mary and the Citadel. Northwestern, we hope, will drop the non-tourney teams to four (of those eligible since the beginning.)

Mt. Saint Mary's punches it's ticket.

So does Northern Kentucky -- in their first year of Division 1 eligibility. Tough game with Milwaukee -- a 23-loss team that would have been the worst record to ever make the field.

Gonzaga playing St. Mary's right now in the WCC finals ... and South Dakota State facing Omaha ion another title game (I forget which one)

wsb3
03-07-2017, 10:37 PM

So does Northern Kentucky -- in their first year of Division 1 eligibility. Tough game with Milwaukee -- a 23-loss team that would have been the worst record to ever make the field.

Gonzaga playing St. Mary's right now in the WCC finals ... and South Dakota State facing Omaha ion another title game (I forget which one)

Summit. Love the Jackrabbits (great name)

Olympic Fan
03-08-2017, 01:36 AM
The Zags pull away late to win their bid to the NCAA.

And South Dakota State wins the Summit (thanks for the reminder) ...

I think only one title decided Wednesday -- Patriot League ... Lehigh vs. Bucknell.

ChillinDuke
03-08-2017, 01:21 PM

How do these teams enter D1 (Northern Kentucky, Grand Canyon, etc) but the # of teams on KenPom continue to stay the same every year? Who has been dropping out of D1?

A question for another thread, I suppose.

- Chillin

Kedsy
03-08-2017, 01:29 PM
How do these teams enter D1 (Northern Kentucky, Grand Canyon, etc) but the # of teams on KenPom continue to stay the same every year? Who has been dropping out of D1?

A question for another thread, I suppose.

- Chillin

Northern Kentucky has been in D1 for 5 years, they're just tournament-eligible for the first time now. In 2012, there were 6 fewer D1 teams in Pomeroy's database.

gam7
03-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Wow, Gillon had a virtually identical run-up and shot from the same spot on the floor to tie the Miami game, as he did vs. Duke. And he missed badly...

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-08-2017, 02:20 PM
There's only one thing worse than Lunardi on ESPN and that's Lunardi on ESPN via webcam. Can they please for the love of god stop?

Olympic Fan
03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
One of the things I always watch is how many tournament teams each state comes up with.

North Carolina barely missed on UNC Greensboro and Campbell (both lost in their tournament finals), but has UNC Wilmington in the field. Duke and UNC are locks. Wake Forest has a very good chance to be an at large team. And NCCU will be the favorite when the MEAC Tournament opens.

That's five -- even without a miracle from Davidson in the A-10 or ECU in the AAC.

Who will get more?

Florida will get Miami, FSU, Florida and FGCU ... do they have any more realistic candidates? (Note: Jacksonville State is in Alabama, not Jacksonville, Fla)

California always has a lot of candidates -- UCLA and St. Mary's for sure. Maybe Cal and/or Southern Cal. Who else?

Is there another state out there with a lot of candidates?

Reilly
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM

You can sort, by state, this list of 477 schools (includes some old-timers that no longer play major CBB):

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/

Reilly
03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
In the schadenfreude department, Iona beat Siena 87-86 in OT in the MAAC final the other night. Siena's coach is former MD assistant Jimmy Patsos -- famous for being the guy Gary Williams would turn and yell at (and a yeller himself) and for ordering a double-team of Steph Curry for a whole game while coaching Loyola (MD).

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 08:10 PM
You can sort, by state, this list of 477 schools (includes some old-timers that no longer play major CBB):

For instance, 12th on the list is the Amherst Lord Jeffs, who played Division I basketball from 1901-1902.

Fun Fact: Amherst College dropped the mascot name 'Lord Jeffs' from it's name in 2016, because Lord Jeffery Amherst, besides being a successful British military commander during the French and Indian War, advocated the use of small-pox infected blankets in an effort to eradicate the native people. Whoopsie! :D

Reilly
03-08-2017, 08:21 PM
... advocated the use of small-pox infected blankets in an effort to eradicate the native people ...

I volunteer to make the next banner that the Helms Bakery Co. may want to award our Chapel Hill friends.

Duke79UNLV77
03-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Did ESPN switch from Championship Week to Champ Week as part of its cost-saving measures??

VA_BDevil
03-08-2017, 08:30 PM
There's only one thing worse than Lunardi on ESPN and that's Lunardi on ESPN via webcam. Can they please for the love of god stop?

Definitely a face made for radio.

Olympic Fan
03-08-2017, 10:07 PM

I think you missed my point. I know where the schools are.

What I'm trying to guess are which will be the 68 teams in the field -- and what state will have the most entries.

No need to sort through 477 schools or even 351 Division 1 teams.

We have to use some judgment. For instance, I pointed out five strong candidates from the ACC (although 2-3 more are technically alive).

Kentucky will get Louisville and Kentucky. They also have Northern Kentucky in the field. Can they get two more?

How many will Virginia get? California? Indiana?

We won't know until Sunday, but fun to speculate.

Reilly
03-08-2017, 10:25 PM
I think you missed my point. I know where the schools are.

What I'm trying to guess are which will be the 68 teams in the field -- and what state will have the most entries.

No need to sort through 477 schools or even 351 Division 1 teams.

We have to use some judgment. For instance, I pointed out five strong candidates from the ACC (although 2-3 more are technically alive).

Kentucky will get Louisville and Kentucky. They also have Northern Kentucky in the field. Can they get two more?

How many will Virginia get? California? Indiana?

We won't know until Sunday, but fun to speculate.

No, I didn't miss your point. I was pointing out to you, and to any others so inclined, a decent tool for jogging a memory as to which D1 schools might be in which states, so as to then get on to the further analysis you want. It's one thing to know that there are a lot of California schools; it's an easier thing, imo, to quickly scan a list of them and jog one's memory of which schools are there so as to spur a more informed discussion including "oh yeah, school X is having a decent season." I was surprised how many D1 schools are in South Carolina, for example, though I knew all of them if asked about each individually.

And by the way, Syracuse and WFU both already lost today.

luburch
03-09-2017, 06:51 AM
One of the things I always watch is how many tournament teams each state comes up with.

North Carolina barely missed on UNC Greensboro and Campbell (both lost in their tournament finals), but has UNC Wilmington in the field. Duke and UNC are locks. Wake Forest has a very good chance to be an at large team. And NCCU will be the favorite when the MEAC Tournament opens.

That's five -- even without a miracle from Davidson in the A-10 or ECU in the AAC.

Who will get more?

Florida will get Miami, FSU, Florida and FGCU ... do they have any more realistic candidates? (Note: Jacksonville State is in Alabama, not Jacksonville, Fla)

California always has a lot of candidates -- UCLA and St. Mary's for sure. Maybe Cal and/or Southern Cal. Who else?

Indiana usually comes to mind in this conversation, but I believe they only have three this year (Butler, Notre Dame, and Purdue). Valpo likley would have qualified, but Alec Peters is out for the season. Technically Indiana could still make the tournament, but they might need to win the BTT to get in, which has never happened.

DukieInKansas
03-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Shout out to Michigan. They are playing in their practice uniforms today because their game uniforms are still in the cargo section of their plain which is in a ditch at the airport. Adding insult to injury, they got stuck in DC traffic once they arrive this am. And thanks to the other Big 10 teams that were willing to slide their games to accomodate Michigan's late arrive to DC.

Go Big Blue!

Doria
03-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Shout out to Michigan. They are playing in their practice uniforms today because their game uniforms are still in the cargo section of their plain which is in a ditch at the airport. Adding insult to injury, they got stuck in DC traffic once they arrive this am. And thanks to the other Big 10 teams that were willing to slide their games to accomodate Michigan's late arrive to DC.

Go Big Blue!

Wow, I really feel for them. I'm sure they're already emotionally (and probably physically) exhausted.

DukieInKansas
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Go Big Blue!

Too late to correct my typo. plain should be plane. (D'oh!)

Olympic Fan
03-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Huge upset in the Big 12 quarterfinals ...

No. 8 seed TCU just upset No. 1 Kansas, 85-82.

As usually happens in the Big 12, the refs did their best to give the game to Kansas (calling a bogus foul on a Frank Mason travel with 22 seconds left that allowed the Jayhawks to tie the game).

Kansas was without suspended freshman star Josh Jackson.

I'd say the loss costs them the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA (which now goes to Nova). Kansas will still be A No. 1 seed.

brevity
03-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Huge upset in the Big 12 quarterfinals ...

No. 8 seed TCU just upset No. 1 Kansas, 85-82.

As usually happens in the Big 12, the refs did their best to give the game to Kansas (calling a bogus foul on a Frank Mason travel with 22 seconds left that allowed the Jayhawks to tie the game).

Kansas was without suspended freshman star Josh Jackson.

I'd say the loss costs them the overall No. 1 seed in the NCAA (which now goes to Nova). Kansas will still be A No. 1 seed.

Ditto: (6-seed) Kansas State 70, (3-seed) Baylor 64.

Baylor now has a tenuous grasp on the 2 seed line, especially if other teams (ahem) move up. Things would line up nicely for the Selection Committee to put Gonzaga, Oregon, and Baylor in the West Regional. Not suggesting any team as the 4 seed, but I wouldn't envy them.

Meanwhile, the Big XII semifinals are TCU-Iowa State and Kansas State-West Virginia. Should more upsets happen, you could see the conference steal a 6th (KSU crosses the bubble) and 7th (TCU as an automatic) bid.

Also in bubble news: Xavier beat Butler in a Big East quarterfinal. They were probably in anyway, but this certainly helps.

tbyers11
03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
With #1 seed Purdue losing to Michigan in the quarterfinals, will any B1G team get a protected (top 4) seed?

Man that league has not been good this year.

phaedrus
03-10-2017, 02:58 PM
After a successful regular season (in which they finished 20-10 after two straight 12-18 finishes), Johnny Dawkins' UCF Knights are taking on Memphis in the first round of the AAC tournament. They've won 5 straight including a win over #15 Cincinnati and they have an outside shot at an NIT bid if they put in a strong showing in this tournament.

Incidentally, they are ranked 74 in KenPom, just ahead of Pitt. 14-17 Stanford is ranked 104.

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Wow. You think Coach K would ever say this? http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18872913/bob-knight-says-hopes-ex-indiana-university-bosses-all-dead

Basically, Bob Knight said he hopes admin who were present when he fired "are all dead".

I know a lot of people on this board like Bob Knight. I've never been in that boat. He is a genius on the court, but he's done/said some terrible things.

Atlanta Duke
03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread.

Wow. You think Coach K would ever say this? http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18872913/bob-knight-says-hopes-ex-indiana-university-bosses-all-dead

Basically, Bob Knight said he hopes admin who were present when he fired "are all dead".

I know a lot of people on this board like Bob Knight. I've never been in that boat. He is a genius on the court, but he's done/said some terrible things.

Thanks for the link

As was said about Keith Olberman when he first left ESPN, Bob Knight does not burn bridges - he napalms them

Props to Coach K for managing to rebuild his relationship with Coach Knight after Knight cut him off following the 1992 Final Four - that could not have been an easy task

MartyClark
03-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Knight needs his enemies. He wants them to die, then he wants to relieve himself on their graves.

I'm surprised at the number of people who still praise him as an old school coach, traditional values, not coddling the kids, discipline by golly!

He seems to be a miserable human being.

94duke
03-10-2017, 04:30 PM
So, I saw that Michigan beat Purdue in OT.
How about those other conference tournaments?!

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 04:41 PM
So, I saw that Michigan beat Purdue in OT.
How about those other conference tournaments?!

YAAAAAAAAAWN....no time

;)

pfrduke
03-11-2017, 12:23 AM
"We're sitting in the shadow of the Staue of Liberty" - a real thing Bill Walton just said about being in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Troublemaker
03-11-2017, 12:27 AM
"We're sitting in the shadow of the Staue of Liberty" - a real thing Bill Walton just said about being in T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

He's actually not wrong because the arena is next to the New York, New York casino hotel, which has a replica of the Statue outside.

pfrduke
03-11-2017, 12:28 AM
He's actually not wrong because the arena is next to the New York, New York casino hotel.

Yeah, I know, but there's still a little cognitive dissonance in the comment.

Troublemaker
03-11-2017, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I know, but there's still a little cognitive dissonance in the comment.

Ah, gotcha. Definitely a hilarious comment still.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 12:45 AM
Great game winning play by Nova's Josh Hart. They are very good.

wsb3
03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Vermont is in..

Olympic Fan
03-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Vermont is in..

I watched the last 10 minutes ... bizarre ending. TWO court-stormings!

First, Vermont and Albany are tied 50-all with two minutes left, when Vermont hits a go-ahead basket ... but it's waved off because a ref says he stepped on the baseline on his drive -- replay showed he was nowhere close to the baseball -- at least 10 inches from the line.

No matter, Vermont has a 56-52 lead with seconds remaining. Albany has the ball out under its own basket with 0.9 seconds left. They inbounds, a guy lets fly a wild 3, the buzzer sounds and the fans pour on the court (the game was at Vermont). But wait ... a ref called a foul on the shot? After clearing the court and an almost 10 minute delay to review the clock, they pit 0.3 seconds back on the clock and give the guy three free throws. He misses the first (which virtually makes it impossible to win), hits the second and intentionally misses the third. The ball is slapped out of bounds, the buzzer sounds again and again the crowd rushes the court as Vermont wins 56-53.

Now watching NCCU, which dominated the MEAC, battling Norfolk State (playing at home!) for the MEAC title. NCCU was down two at the half, but now has a double digit lead with just under 10 minutes left.

BTW: Did anybody see the end of the Arizona-UCLA game Friday night? Arizona I kicking their butts, up 11 with the ball as the final seconds tick off and everybody just standing around waiting for the game to end. But Sean Miller signals to his point guard to call a time out - and the call it with 0.9 seconds left. It's not to get any subs in (there were no lineup changes). What was that about?

Frank McGuire used to do that on the road to rub his victory in -- he'd tell his kids to enjoy it. But it backfired when Everett Case did that to him in the final seconds of the 1959 ACC title game.

Olympic Fan
03-11-2017, 03:03 PM
NCCU wins 67-56 ... looking like the state of North Carolina gets five NCAA teams (Wilmington, NCCU, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest)

Note: I was wrong -- the tourney is not on Norfolk's homecourt. It's at the Scope ... in their hometown, but not their homecourt.

Michigan about to edge Minnesota to reach the Big 10 finals. Against Northwestern?

Bama giving Kentucky all it can handle in the SEC semifinals.

Two other Duke greats about to go into action. Johnny Dawkins and Central Florida get SMU in the American semifinals; Tommy Amaker and Harvard get Yale in the Ivy semifinals.

wsb3
03-11-2017, 03:07 PM
I watched the last 10 minutes ... bizarre ending. TWO court-stormings!

First, Vermont and Albany are tied 50-all with two minutes left, when Vermont hits a go-ahead basket ... but it's waved off because a ref says he stepped on the baseline on his drive -- replay showed he was nowhere close to the baseball -- at least 10 inches from the line.

No matter, Vermont has a 56-52 lead with seconds remaining. Albany has the ball out under its own basket with 0.9 seconds left. They inbounds, a guy lets fly a wild 3, the buzzer sounds and the fans pour on the court (the game was at Vermont). But wait ... a ref called a foul on the shot? After clearing the court and an almost 10 minute delay to review the clock, they pit 0.3 seconds back on the clock and give the guy three free throws. He misses the first (which virtually makes it impossible to win), hits the second and intentionally misses the third. The ball is slapped out of bounds, the buzzer sounds again and again the crowd rushes the court as Vermont wins 56-53.

Wow..We are installing flooring so I happen to walk by TV just as it ended. Thanks for filling in the blanks. Wow. That is a bizarre ending.

tbyers11
03-11-2017, 03:39 PM
BTW: Did anybody see the end of the Arizona-UCLA game Friday night? Arizona I kicking their butts, up 11 with the ball as the final seconds tick off and everybody just standing around waiting for the game to end. But Sean Miller signals to his point guard to call a time out - and the call it with 0.9 seconds left. It's not to get any subs in (there were no lineup changes). What was that about?

Frank McGuire used to do that on the road to rub his victory in -- he'd tell his kids to enjoy it. But it backfired when Everett Case did that to him in the final seconds of the 1959 ACC title game.

2 weeks ago when UCLA beat Arizona 77-72 at the McKale Center, Steve Alford called a timeout with about a 1 sec left when the game was decided. Sean Miller said he didn't call the timeout as retaliation for Alford maneuver but nobody is buying it.

Olympic Fan
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Great finish in the first Ivy League Tournament game ever played.

The Ivy's just have a four-team tournament ... and in the first game, No. 4 seed Penn leads No. 1 seed Princeton (14-0 in the regular season) all the way.

With 12 seconds left, Penn is up 59-57 at the FT line for a 1 + 1. But the kid misses, Princeton rushes down and ties the score on an offensive rebound basket with 5.3 seconds left.

Penn calls timeout but doesn't get a good shot off before the buzzer. At that point, Princeton has not led at any point in the 40-minutes of regulation.

But Princeton dominates the overtime to win 72-64.

A Penn win would have been great for Tommy Amaker and Harvard -- his team is the No. 2 seed (playing No. 3 Yale).

hsheffield
03-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Wisconsin is running Northwestern out of the building: 61-35 with 9 min left.

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 12:22 AM
I want nothing to do with Arizona. Particularly in a game on the west coast.

-jk
03-12-2017, 12:40 AM

Amen...

-jk

weezie
03-12-2017, 12:41 AM

They are HUGE. Markennen is a dead eye from 3 too. Trier, holy moly.

gam7
03-12-2017, 01:49 AM

Been there, done that. No thank you.