PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Matt!

Duke79UNLV77
02-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Any guy who earns a kiss from K when he comes out for the last time on senior night is alright with me! Total team player!

duketaylor
02-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Here, here!! (My bad for not including him)!!

moonpie23
02-28-2017, 10:18 PM
thank you matt, from the bottom of our hearts!!

mattman91
02-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Loved Matt Jones every since he was a freshmen. Always plays smart, hustles, and is a great defensive leader.

Also has a great name:rolleyes:

He isn't finished yet!

The Gordog
02-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Thank you Mr. Jones. No #5 without your D-fence! Once again, the other team's best wing has a horrible night. Coincidence - not!

duke4ever19
02-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Here's Matt's speech.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5999707

jv001
03-01-2017, 09:15 AM
I loved your farewell speech. You have been a great rep for Duke University. Thank you for your efforts on guarding our opponent's best offensive player and you did an amazing job. God bless you young man. GoDuke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Thank you Matt. You had an incredible career at Duke.

I've always loved defensive players, which is why I have always respected your game. You aren't the quickest player, but you are by far the most capable backcourt defender on Duke. You always take the opposing team's best guard/wing and often hold them to subpar games.

And while your offense is erratic, you take the open shot. You are a good shooter, but sometimes you have those bad days. And that's okay.

There are certain players who DBR complains about that I often agree with. There are players who DBR complains about where I understand the complaints but disagree with the argument (McBob, for one). But there is only one player who DBR complains about that I never understood the complaints. That, Matt Jones, is you. You have become my favorite player in what has been a very strange year. You are consistent in your defensive pressure/assignment and wildly inconsistent on the offensive end. And for that, I love watching you.

Thanks again for your awesome 4 years.

-FDD

MCFinARL
03-01-2017, 10:43 AM
It has been too easy, at times, to overlook Matt Jones, both because it's easier to focus on offense than on defense and because his demeanor both on court and in interviews is most often workmanlike and unassuming. But he exemplifies (as does Amile) the best aspects of the Duke program--players who work hard, understand their roles, put team accomplishments before personal ones, improve throughout their time at Duke, and grow into leadership roles.

Don't want to re-open the debate about one and dones versus four-year players--they are all true Duke guys to me and I have enjoyed watching them all--but it is special to watch someone grow over a full college career and come out a man--and a very mature, very promising one as far as one can tell from a distance. Thanks, Matt, for letting us share that journey.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2017, 10:56 AM
It has been too easy, at times, to overlook Matt Jones, both because it's easier to focus on offense than on defense and because his demeanor both on court and in interviews is most often workmanlike and unassuming. But he exemplifies (as does Amile) the best aspects of the Duke program--players who work hard, understand their roles, put team accomplishments before personal ones, improve throughout their time at Duke, and grow into leadership roles.

Don't want to re-open the debate about one and dones versus four-year players--they are all true Duke guys to me and I have enjoyed watching them all--but it is special to watch someone grow over a full college career and come out a man--and a very mature, very promising one as far as one can tell from a distance. Thanks, Matt, for letting us share that journey.

The debate, at least for me, is easy: I can emotionally connect better with four year players than 1-year players.

That's why my favorite Dukies over the last 15 years have been JJ Redick, Nolan Smith, and Quinn Cook: three players who developed greatly over their respective careers. They may not be the most talented (Redick's NBA career path is truly wonderful), but I relate them to Duke moreso than Parker, Irving, Winslow, etc.

Does that mean OAD are lesser "Dukies"? Nope. I just means they don't get as much of my support as 4-year players. And I think that's pretty natural. If you're a Warriors fan, do you like Curry or Durant better?