PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Florida State (Feb 28, 2017)

JBDuke
02-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Florida State tonight?

Saratoga2
02-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Florida State tonight?

Frank Jackson was a force and played mainly smart ball. Jayson, Luke, Amile and Matt also played well.

DukeDevil
02-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Frank stepped up big time but Amile controlled so many aspects of this game. Senior night indeed.

MrPoon
02-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Frank was huge, Tatum was very important, Luke key... tonight was Amile's night. 6-6 14pts, 11 rbs.
Jones second... almost a tie... we will miss those two so very much

Ggallagher
02-28-2017, 09:19 PM
I really loved what Frank contributed - and I certainly look forward to seeing more of it next year, but I had to go with Jayson for his defensive and offensive contributions for the entire game.

jwillfan
02-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Considered voting for Amile but those missed FTs were key. Frank was so dynamic and pushed us out to that big lead early in the 2nd half that I think crushed their spirits enough. Tough choice, no bad choices. Go Duke!

Billy Dat
02-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Amile!

Newton_14
02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Man this was hard!! I was sure I was going to vote for Frank and then went back and forth several times clicking on Amile then Frank an on an on... In the end despite feeling Frank was the key tonight, my 5th Senior hung a Double Double on the biggest team in the Country and best defensive team in the ACC on a bum foot. Guess I went with my heart!

Amile by a fingertip over the Rook Frank....

OZZIE4DUKE
02-28-2017, 10:04 PM
I was going to vote for Frank, until Nick said Go TnHell carolina in his senior post game speech, so he got my vote tonight!

mattman91
02-28-2017, 10:30 PM
I was going to vote for Frank, until Nick said Go TnHell carolina in his senior post game speech, so he got my vote tonight!

This happened?

Epic. If confirmed, I'll vote for him.

pamtar
02-28-2017, 10:36 PM
This happened?

Epic. If confirmed, I'll vote for him.

Yep, closed the senior speeches with a big GTHC! I'm still voting for Amile though. His defense in the paint was manly.

mattman91
02-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Yep, closed the senior speeches with a big GTHC! I'm still voting for Amile though. His defense in the paint was manly.

Sporks to whoever finds a video of this first

jipops
02-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Frank had an outstanding game but I have to go with Amile. 14 pts on 6-6 shooting. 11 boards. 4 blocks. Was never in any foul trouble against all the FSU bigs. He was the steadying force.

duke4ever19
02-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Sporks to whoever finds a video of this first

Here ya go! Pagliuca's GTHC!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?KEY=FYABSSWVGXKSLAD.20170131031516&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Steven43
03-01-2017, 12:38 AM
Here ya go! Pagliuca's GTHC!

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?KEY=FYABSSWVGXKSLAD.20170131031516&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Love it! Particularly enjoyed seeing Matt, Grayson, Sean, Antonio, and Justin smiling and laughing after Nick said it. He seems like a cool guy. These guys (Duke Basketball) always make me proud.

CharlestonDave
03-01-2017, 03:25 AM
Was Dicky V going a little overboard as respects Frank Jackson last night ?

He was projecting him as a potential super star . I will leave that assessment to those on this Board who watch much more Duke Basketball then I do and who have much more knowledge of the game than I have.

Billy Dat
03-01-2017, 08:23 AM

He was projecting him as a potential super star . I will leave that assessment to those on this Board who watch much more Duke Basketball then I do and who have much more knowledge of the game than I have.

If he doesn't have to sacrifice his offensive game by primarily playing PG then, yes, I think he's going to be a huge player next year on the conference and national scene, maybe even as much of a breakout as Grayson last year and Luke this year. He may be our only current rotation player to return next year.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2017, 08:25 AM

He annoyed me when he kept saying that he was a star NOW, like he was implying he had never shown up before this game. Jackson has had a few games now where he has shown the player that he is becoming. He was great last night, and he has been great before.
That being said, and as amazing as FJ was, I went with Tatum as my MOTM. For me, he had the stronger game across both halves, and was just one board shy of a double-double.
I like games where any number of players could have easily have gotten my vote. GTHC!

Edit...even K made note of his being a star before last night.

In fact, Krzyzewski was sure to point out the rookie's impact at Miami, when Jackson scored 16 points, even taking the team's second-to-last shot, letting go of a three-pointer with just 20 seconds to play.
"Frank was sensational," Krzyzewski said. "Frank has had a really good year, but down at Miami, he almost won the game for us."
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-slams-door-on-slump-talk-seals-senior-night-with-win/16558216/

jv001
03-01-2017, 08:57 AM
If he doesn't have to sacrifice his offensive game by primarily playing PG then, yes, I think he's going to be a huge player next year on the conference and national scene, maybe even as much of a breakout as Grayson last year and Luke this year. He may be our only current rotation player to return next year.

I was thinking this same thing after the game last night. I hope we land Duval who from what I've read will probably start at PG for whatever school he picks. I like the idea of having two really quick guards in our back court. But for now, let's send the tarhole cheats to the place they need to be in. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2017, 09:25 AM
But I wish I voted for Matt Jones. No real reason other than Bacon/Senior Night. I also just realized that Matt Jones is my favorite player on this team.

JNort
03-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Nah I agree with him, kid is a stud and I have thought that since the beginning of the season.

kAzE
03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Dickie V is known to use hyperbole rather a lot, but I agree here. We would be lucky to have Frank for more than 2 years. I could even see him going 1 and done with a couple of big NCAAT performances, a la Tyus Stones.

JNort
03-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Nah I agree with him, kid is a stud and I have thought that since the beginning of the season.

From back in January this was my Dickie V moment:

"Frank I think has a bright bright future and could be the next superstar guard at Duke but he is a year away from being a difference maker. Right now he just needs to learn to adjust his speed on offense and let things come to him more naturally."

SupaDave
03-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Vitale was indeed enamored but I was more than impressed with how FJ handled the pressure from Florida State's defenders. He used his size to his advantage and attacked creases in the defense. Most complete game he's played all year. I thought to myself - hey now, we have a point guard. FSU's defense is top notch - he scorched them (and I think there's a theme with this FSU team that they play with questionable effort when down - ala the intentional foul on Tatum). His ball handling was superb. His decision making was nearly the right call all game.

One play in particular that stood out for me was a reset in the 2nd half that Amile called and then Jackson recognizing it - signaled to the rest of the team. Excellent communication. It made me think of Hurley/Hill with G in the post. They scored on that play. Literally made a mental note to myself.

Honestly - this new found confidence (health) is a game changer. With Grayson able to run back up point, he gets to come in the game at the 2, with Luke/Matt at the 3, Jayson/Amile at the 4, and Amile/Giles at the 5. Bolden just may be coming along as well.

My hopes for 3 Rivers Stadium are high for tomorrow.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Have you ever listened to Dickie V? Everything is amazing, every player is true talent, every coach is a genius. He puts the "hyper" back into "hyperbole."