PDA

View Full Version : ACC Unbalanced Schedule

redick4pres
02-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Good morning, everyone! Had a couple thoughts on the conference expansion and as a result, unbalanced schedule for the ACC. If this topic has been covered too much, please forgive me and the mods can move or take it down.

Last night, UNC finished up their road conference games at 0-3 vs. opponents over .500. They lost to Duke, Miami, and UVA on the road. Meanwhile, by the end of Saturday night, we will have played the TOP NINE ACC teams on the road this year! I'm not suggesting that there is some conspiracy, nor do I think there is. However, I do believe that it's getting harder and harder to honestly tell who the best team in the conference is over the regular season based on these unbalanced schedules.

A UNC fan pointed out to me that we lost to NC State at home and they beat them by 50. But I quickly replied that we beat Georgia Tech by 53 while they lost to them by double digits. Does anyone have the same feeling about these schedules? Maybe I'm totally off-base, but I think that it makes it harder to look at these teams more objectively come early March and Selection Sunday.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Good morning, everyone! Had a couple thoughts on the conference expansion and as a result, unbalanced schedule for the ACC. If this topic has been covered too much, please forgive me and the mods can move or take it down.

Last night, UNC finished up their road conference games at 0-3 vs. opponents over .500. They lost to Duke, Miami, and UVA on the road. Meanwhile, by the end of Saturday night, we will have played the TOP NINE ACC teams on the road this year! I'm not suggesting that there is some conspiracy, nor do I think there is. However, I do believe that it's getting harder and harder to honestly tell who the best team in the conference is over the regular season based on these unbalanced schedules.

A UNC fan pointed out to me that we lost to NC State at home and they beat them by 50. But I quickly replied that we beat Georgia Tech by 53 while they lost to them by double digits. Does anyone have the same feeling about these schedules? Maybe I'm totally off-base, but I think that it makes it harder to look at these teams more objectively come early March and Selection Sunday.

Check the current "This Week in the ACC" thread. Lots of discussion there and in many earlier threads.

W&LHoo
02-28-2017, 11:00 AM

While there's definitely truth to what you're saying, we're not going to be able to go back to the old (perfect) round-robin of the classic ACC. Wins get rewarded and losses don't, and strength of schedule tends not to get taken adequately into account.

I remember reading at the beginning of the season that UVA had the toughest schedule of any major conference team. I don't know if I buy that entirely, though it's certainly arguable. Would we have a bette record if we'd played weaker teams? Sure. Would we be ranked higher if people weren't "pacist?" Probably.

We have the league we have. I take some solace in knowing that the more battle-tested teams tend to do better in post season play.