PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 95 Cheaters 71

DU82
02-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Domination over in Chapel Hell, as the Duke women win 95-71.

Rebecca Greenwell with 30, Kyra Lambert with a double double (13 assists, 12 points), and Lexie Brown with a relatively quiet (for her) 19.

The team out-rebounded the cheaters by 20, 42-22. Duke shot 56% (however Duke let them hit almost 43%, a recent high by an opponent.) In the second and third quarters, each time they went on a mini-run, Duke responded, then went on a 10-0 run to start the fourth quarter.

Duke is the third seed in the ACC Tournament next week. They'll play at about 8PM on Friday against the survivor of Syracuse-Pitt/UNC-Cheat.

dukelifer
02-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Rebecca Greenwell with 30, Kyra Lambert with a double double (13 assists, 12 points), and Lexie Brown with a relatively quiet (for her) 19.

The team out-rebounded the cheaters by 20, 42-22. Duke shot 56% (however Duke let them hit almost 43%, a recent high by an opponent.) In the second and third quarters, each time they went on a mini-run, Duke responded, then went on a 10-0 run to start the fourth quarter.

Duke is the third seed in the ACC Tournament next week. They'll play at about 8PM on Friday against the survivor of Syracuse-Pitt/UNC-Cheat.

It only gets worse from here for UNC. The sanctions will crush the women's program.

rsvman
02-26-2017, 04:59 PM
It only gets worse from here for UNC. The sanctions will crush the women's program.

Sounds good to me.

richardjackson199
02-26-2017, 05:04 PM
This women's team is fun, and is really peaking at the right time. I actually hope they eventually play UConn in the tourney. Nothing to lose, and I think they could do it this time. Show Azura what she's missing out on.

This year could end up being pretty gratifying for Coach P. It looks like keeping McCallie was the right call.

chrishoke
02-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Our three guards are a joy to watch - great chemistry among them. Always great to embarrass the cheaters on their home court.

Dukehky
02-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Sounds good to me.

I wonder how much Sylvia hates Roy, Fedora, and Bubba right now? Her program is a shell of itself. Not that it's not their own fault, but for her to see the success of the men's basketball team compared to how her program has been thrown under the bus, kind of ridiculous.

I'm not saying that UNC WBB isn't bad, I'm saying that men's basketball and football as well as the athletic department are worse. They totally threw the women's program under the bus because they deemed it less worthy and important than the other two.

So on top of having horribly racist under/overtones to the entire scandal with their targeting of classes, they're also incredibly sexist.

Maybe UNC is more like North Carolina generally than I would have thought. Time to move things to Carrboro.

Karl Beem
02-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Another great game by Becky McBuckets!;)

CameronBlue
02-26-2017, 08:24 PM
I wonder how much Sylvia hates Roy, Fedora, and Bubba right now? Her program is a shell of itself. Not that it's not their own fault, but for her to see the success of the men's basketball team compared to how her program has been thrown under the bus, kind of ridiculous.

I'm not saying that UNC WBB isn't bad, I'm saying that men's basketball and football as well as the athletic department are worse. They totally threw the women's program under the bus because they deemed it less worthy and important than the other two.

So on top of having horribly racist under/overtones to the entire scandal with their targeting of classes, they're also incredibly sexist.

Maybe UNC is more like North Carolina generally than I would have thought. Time to move things to Carrboro.

I haven't kept track (I'm sure someone here has) but all public comments, at least my perception of them, from Sylvia's lips have supported the UNC establishment. It's more than that she knows her and the program's place in the pecking order of UNC sports, it goes further. She seems to share the same sense of indignity; that UNC is being victimized by NCAA overreach. If in private she seethes in resentment of Roy, in public she is very much the UNC shill.

Dukehky
02-26-2017, 08:52 PM
I haven't kept track (I'm sure someone here has) but all public comments, at least my perception of them, from Sylvia's lips have supported the UNC establishment. It's more than that she knows her and the program's place in the pecking order of UNC sports, it goes further. She seems to share the same sense of indignity; that UNC is being victimized by NCAA overreach. If in private she seethes in resentment of Roy, in public she is very much the UNC shill.

I'm sure that was a part of the discussion surrounding her contract extension a few years ago.

killerleft
02-26-2017, 11:00 PM

At least Roy Williams hasn't thrown a whole state under a bus.

That game was indeed fun to watch, getting back to women's basketball. The ole tractor was revving on all cylinders, especially in the second half.

rsvman
02-26-2017, 11:09 PM

How could he do that? It took everything he had to throw a small chair.

Kedsy
02-26-2017, 11:13 PM

This one wasn't as close as the final score. Leaonna put up 13 and 7. Kendall, Oderah, and Erin combined for 18 rebounds in 55 minutes. Kyra's 13 assists were against just 2 turnovers (she also had 6 rebounds and, as reported above, 12 points). In addition to her 19 points, Lexie had 4 rebounds, 4 steals, and 5 assists with 0 turnovers, and Becca (in addition to her 30 points) had 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and 3 assists with 0 turnovers. Altogether, Duke had 30 assists against a mere 10 turnovers.

burnspbesq
02-26-2017, 11:56 PM

That game was indeed fun to watch, getting back to women's basketball. The ole tractor was revving on all cylinders, especially in the second half.

I think that must have been a brand new, turbocharged tractor. The old one couldn't do 1.34 points per possession.

burnspbesq
02-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Duke opens with Cuse, Pitt, or UNC in the last game on Friday.

http://www.theacc.com/news/bracket-announced-for-2017-acc-women-s-basketball-tournament-02-26-2017

heyman25
02-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Saw a bit of the 2nd half. It appears Duke Women's Basketball is playing their best basketball at the right time.Greenwell, Brown ,and Lambert have been great in February. The role players are doing well too. Notre Dame and Fla State appear to be the best in the ACC. Duke is right behind these 2 teams. Good luck in Myrtle Beach.

jimsumner
02-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Credit where credit is due.

Duke missed the NCAAs last season and was picked sixth in the ACC in preseason.

Duke ended up tied for second in the ACC and almost certainly will be hosting first and second-round NCAA competition. Duke is playing defense at a very high level, its role players understand their roles and the team is focused and playing hard. Brown and Greenwell are stars. Lambert is a glue player and Odom is just tapping her immense potential.

McCallie has had her critics and I've been among them. But this team has pretty much maxed out its potential and she has to receive a lot of credit for that.

Indoor66
02-27-2017, 11:50 AM
I agree, Jim. Many of us have been less than thrilled with the Women's program. That said, this year has been fun. It is amazing what happens when the players make shots and play effective team ball. It sure makes the coaches look better. On that point, look at this years men's team for, thus far, the opposite result.

uh_no
02-27-2017, 11:57 AM
It sure makes the coaches look better.

It seems that at least since the chronicle interview, the coaching staff has managed to, shall we say, "avoid taking the focus off the basketball."

I'm not sure I'm ready to forgive P for the things she said last year (and may never), but must compliment her as she seemed to finally do something I wasn't sure she was capable of: take criticism constructively.

This still may yet be her last extension at Duke, but I sure enjoy the tractor she's driving this season over the bus she was driving last.

dudog84
02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Want to know how bad uNC women's basketball has become?

We slam them by 24 points at their place and drop 2 spots in the RPI.

budwom
02-27-2017, 04:04 PM

Despite wearing a dark suit yesterday (shocking!), if you looked closely at Sylvia, you could see the bus tire tracks crisscrossing her posterior (my TV is super ultra mega high def)....those guys you cite really did try pinning the whole
scheme on WBB, which on the face of it is utterly laughable. And yes, I'm sure she's been financially compensated to keep her from proclaiming this fact.

OZ
02-27-2017, 05:16 PM
I agree, Jim. Many of us have been less than thrilled with the Women's program. That said, this year has been fun. It is amazing what happens when the players make shots and play effective team ball. It sure makes the coaches look better. On that point, look at this years men's team for, thus far, the opposite result.

What then does that say about the men's coach?

Indoor66
02-27-2017, 05:54 PM
What then does that say about the men's coach?

Neither say anything about the coach. Coaches don't take any shots.

DukieInKansas
02-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Neither say anything about the coach. Coaches don't take any shots.

Except from the fans.