PDA

View Full Version : Baylor WBB Coach's Comments

DangerDevil
02-26-2017, 08:30 AM
If this belongs somewhere else please move it to the appropriate spot.

I can't believe the statement that Kim Mulkey made "defending" Baylor and can't imagine the outrage (justified in my opinion) that would have been directed at a male coach making anything close to her statement.

During her Senior Day remarks, Mulkey suggested that “If somebody is around you and they ever say ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” which was met with cheers from the crowd.

http://www.si.com/womens-college-basketball/2017/02/25/kim-mulkey-baylor-defends-university-sexual-assault-allegations

A commentor on another site sarcastically summarized my shock perfectly, "So she’s suggesting that people physically assault people concerned about sexual assaults?"

Steven43
02-26-2017, 08:51 AM

I can't believe the statement that Kim Mulkey made "defending" Baylor and can't imagine the outrage (justified in my opinion) that would have been directed at a male coach making anything close to her statement.

During her Senior Day remarks, Mulkey suggested that “If somebody is around you and they ever say ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” which was met with cheers from the crowd.

http://www.si.com/womens-college-basketball/2017/02/25/kim-mulkey-baylor-defends-university-sexual-assault-allegations

A commentor on another site sarcastically summarized my shock perfectly, "So she’s suggesting that people physically assault people concerned about sexual assaults?"
I'm shocked Duval is even considering going to Baylor. Four visits?? Really? I'm not impressed with Scott Drew, either. And if you've ever visited Baylor you would likely be even less impressed with Waco as a place to live. The Duval thing is mystifying.

burnspbesq
02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
There will be enormous pressure put on Baylor to fire Mulkey. She may not survive this.

DavidBenAkiva
02-26-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm shocked Duval is even considering going to Baylor. Four visits?? Really? I'm not impressed with Scott Drew, either. And if you've ever visited Baylor you would likely be even less impressed with Waco as a place to live. The Duval thing is mystifying.

I really don't know why people feel the need to constantly question if Scott Drew is a good coach. No, he hasn't won the Big 12 in his time in Waco, but he has consistently put out a competitive team. This has been done at a school that has almost no history of being successful in men's basketball and when he took the program over, it was figuratively a rotting crater of a program. Dave Bliss left the program in absolute disgrace after a former player murdered a teammate and then Bliss tried to coerce his team to side with the accused. And Scott Drew, little known coach that had one mediocre season at Valparaiso University following his father, came to Baylor to right the ship. And he had done that and more. Has there been one player at Baylor that has gotten in trouble under Scott Drew? There have been several players that have exceeded expectations and made it to the NBA.

Now, the men's basketball program is different from the rest of the university. What has happened with the football program has been an absolute dumpster fire. The university's president and AD have been rightly fired over the ongoing issues with covering up and seemingly encouraging sexual assault and rape culture. It's just awful. But has there ever been one issue with the men's basketball program under Scott Drew?

brevity
02-26-2017, 12:45 PM
So much of this is PPB. I'll say that, maybe to a female at Baylor, there is a generalization that the university campus is unsafe to them, and that maybe that generalization is unfair. I'll also say that it is properly within Kim Mulkey's position to counter that generalization with a statement that women can and do thrive at Baylor. Advocating violence was probably not the best way to make that statement. I'm not sure what else can be said about this.

There are lots of factors that go into a recruit's decision, and they can include the sports culture and local geography. They can also include style of play and predicted usage within next year's team. Enough people seem to be impressed with Scott Drew to make Baylor a viable option. Also, he is helping Baylor fill a power vacuum in the Big 12 with Kansas while Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State are in various stages of regrouping. I'm not sure what else can be said about this (the Baylor part of this) either.

TexHawk
02-26-2017, 02:40 PM
I really don't know why people feel the need to constantly question if Scott Drew is a good coach. No, he hasn't won the Big 12 in his time in Waco, but he has consistently put out a competitive team. This has been done at a school that has almost no history of being successful in men's basketball and when he took the program over, it was figuratively a rotting crater of a program. Dave Bliss left the program in absolute disgrace after a former player murdered a teammate and then Bliss tried to coerce his team to side with the accused. And Scott Drew, little known coach that had one mediocre season at Valparaiso University following his father, came to Baylor to right the ship. And he had done that and more. Has there been one player at Baylor that has gotten in trouble under Scott Drew? There have been several players that have exceeded expectations and made it to the NBA.
Drew has been fine on the court because he teaches an interesting system that puts his team in a spot to win games. He's sorta Boeheim-lite, especially with the zone defense. That system is susceptible to good shooting teams, but whatever, it works a lot of the time. He's also a fine recruiter. On the flip side, he is truly terrible when it comes to in-game adjustments, Xs/Os, timeouts, etc. Luke Winn at SI did a good job breaking down their last possession in the KU game last weekend, and it showed that a slight amount of preparation by the opponent for Drew's favorite plays is enough to give him a heart attack.

Yes, you are correct that it's a matter of perspective. Baylor was a joke before he got there. But at the same time, it's been 14 years since he took over. They/we should probably have some expectations at this point. He's missed the same amount of tournaments that he's made, and he has four first round tournament losses once he's gotten there. Nationally, it seems like he's trading on his E8s in 2010/2012. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked around this offseason, maybe to Illinois.

Now, the men's basketball program is different from the rest of the university. What has happened with the football program has been an absolute dumpster fire. The university's president and AD have been rightly fired over the ongoing issues with covering up and seemingly encouraging sexual assault and rape culture. It's just awful. But has there ever been one issue with the men's basketball program under Scott Drew?
From a fellow conference member, my biggest beef with the Baylor situation is their sanctimonius "Baylor Way" stuff, which is eerily similar to your neighbors down the road. They claim it with a straight face while defending Art Briles at every turn. Stupefying. I will admit that the football stink rubs off on the hoops team a bit for me, but that's because it's the same fans. You are correct that Drew deserves some sort of "credit" for a pretty clean program (recruiting rumors aside).

Steven43
02-26-2017, 03:59 PM

Wow, you sure made a lot of my simple comment 'I'm not impressed with Scott Drew.' A bit of an overreaction, I'd say.

WakeDevil
02-26-2017, 05:52 PM
The OP needs a chill pill.

uh_no
02-26-2017, 06:17 PM

i mean....

"rip em up tear em up"
"we're gonna beat the hell out of you"

any advocacy of violence in such a get 'em riled up sports atmosphere has to be taken with a grain of salt. I will be sad if someone actually takes that as affirmative consent to punch someone in the face.

Now, that isn't true of all places....i wouldn't say that to soccer hooligans, for instance.

Am I a fan of what she said? No. Would I be happy if a Duke coach said that? I wouldn't be thrilled. If I were the AD, i'd take her aside and tell her to simmer down a touch and maybe make a statement. But do I really care all that much? no.

rsvman
02-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Do people really think that she meant it literally?

duke4ever19
02-26-2017, 11:09 PM
The real question is, will she volunteer to post bail for anyone that acts on her advice?

Turk
02-27-2017, 07:52 AM
I'm inclined to give Coach Mulkey a pass on this one. She's loyal to her players, caught up in the emotion and rhetoric of being recognized for winning 500 games, and well aware of who signs her paychecks. One might also take it a bit farther and suggest that she is empowering females to stand up for themselves and make their own decisions. (A little too far for me, personally).

The link also has an excerpt from the presser, where Coach Mulkey says, "I'd send my daughter here, and I'd pay for anyone else's daughter to come here." Hmm... My Swee'Pea got accepted to Baylor med school in Houston and was planning to turn them down. It might be a good idea for her to get in touch with Coach and see if she can work a deal...

As for the football program, here's a refresher from The Ringer. Because the athletic department looked the other way for so long, it will tarnish other Baylor sports, even if they are clean and run like independent fiefdoms by their respective coaches such as Ms. Mulvey. Deal with it.

https://theringer.com/baylor-bears-football-program-art-briles-court-filing-2fc2103c5bb5#.3ldyt3qju

And to TexHawk's point about the "Baylor Way", the school released Art Briles' texts only under pressure and when it was in its own interests. Sound familiar?

“If you mention Baylor’s mission one more time, I’m going to throw up. … I was promised a national championship.”

AustinDevil
02-27-2017, 08:15 AM
i mean...

"rip em up tear em up"
"we're gonna beat the hell out of you"

any advocacy of violence in such a get 'em riled up sports atmosphere has to be taken with a grain of salt. I will be sad if someone actually takes that as affirmative consent to punch someone in the face.

Now, that isn't true of all places...i wouldn't say that to soccer hooligans, for instance.

Am I a fan of what she said? No. Would I be happy if a Duke coach said that? I wouldn't be thrilled. If I were the AD, i'd take her aside and tell her to simmer down a touch and maybe make a statement. But do I really care all that much? no.

Interestingly, Baylor also uses "Rip 'em up, tear em up," followed by "Sic 'em, B-U!"

http://www.baylor.edu/students/gameday/index.php?id=867034

Anyway, I agree with the OP, and I also think one's reaction to this depends on your exposure to the truly sordid details of their willingness to not just overlook, but to protect, rapists while utterly failing their students (and others, for that matter) who were attacked. And also your proximity to their arrogant, holier-than-thou fans, as TexHawk already explained. But at least their basketball program hasn't covered up any murders recently, so there's that on the plus side.

weezie
02-27-2017, 09:17 AM
When we played them in the NCAAs a few years ago, it was a fan base that seemed truly ornery. Rather second rate people, and yes, I know how elitist that sounds. But there was a menace in the air aside from the usual Duke hate.

They're weird.

BD80
02-27-2017, 06:31 PM
The OP needs a chill pill.

Or a punch in the face?