PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Ten Hits Of The Sixties

Devilwin
02-24-2017, 05:38 PM
It's best decade in Rock history, more or less. Even you young bloods here know some 60s music. My list may be Beatles heavy, but there were tons of great groups out there in that decade!
My list.
1. Hey Jude-Beatles

2. California Girls-Beach Boys

3. Nowhere Man-Beatles

4. Ruby Tuesday-Rolling Stones

5. Look Through Any Window-Hollies

6. Just A Little-Beau Brummels

7. Good Vibrations-Beach Boys

8. Paperback Writer-Beatles

9. World Without Love-Peter and Gordon (song written by Paul McCartney at age 15)

10. Lies-The Knickerbockers

Indoor66
02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
I'll take the period from'50 to'64.

RPS
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
I can't limit it to ten. So here's my list of 30, with an added limitation of only one song per artist (so I won't be Beatles-heavy). For reference, the Billboard Top Twenty is here (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6296373/billboard-hot-100-1960).

Buffalo Springfield, “For What It’s Worth”
Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
The Beatles, “A Day in the Life”
Simon and Garfunkel, “The Boxer”
Creedance Clearwater Revival, “Fortunate Son”
Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
The Kinks, “You Really Got Me”
Sam Cooke, "A Change Is Gonna Come"
The Who, “My Generation”
Steppenwolf, “Born to be Wild”
The Rolling Stones, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”
Aretha Franklin, “Respect”
Roy Orbison, “Oh, Pretty Woman”
The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’”
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “All Along the Watchtower”
The Monkees, “I’m a Believer”
The Turtles, “Happy Together”
Sam Cooke, “A Change is Gonna Come”
The Byrds, “Turn! Turn! Turn!”
Marvin Gaye, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
Wilson Pickett, “Mustang Sally”
The Band, “The Weight”
Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, “People Get Ready”
The Zombies, “Time of the Season”
The Hollies, “Bus Stop”
The Shirelles, “Will You Love Me Tomorrow?”
The Righteous Brothers, “Unchained Melody”
The Isley Brothers, “Twist and Shout”
The Troggs, “Wild Thing”
Smoky Robinson and the Miracles, “The Tracks of My Tears”

DU82
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Obviously, Devil With the Blue Dress On (Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.) :)

Olympic Fan
02-24-2017, 08:20 PM
I was looking at this and, like RPS, I think it's an impossible task.

Just take the Beatles. Easily the most successful artists of the decades (although The Supremes sold nearly as many records), yet when you try to pick their best or most important song, you go in circles. USA Today not long ago picked Ticket to Ride, RPS picked A Day in the Life, Devilwin picked Hey Jude. Their most important song was the light-weight I Wanna Hold Your Hand -- in that it was the song that made them a cultural phenomena. I would argue that the album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the most influencial record of the decade ... but didn't produce a clearcut best song.

So what song does represent the Beatles in the 1960s?

You can go through the same debate over Dylan (Blowing in the Wind?) or the Doors (Light My Fire?) or the Stones (Satisfaction?). Simon and Garfinkel need to be on the list, but do you go with Sounds of Silence or Bridge over Troubled Water (performed and recorded in the '60s, but not released until '71). The Beach Boys have gained in reputation over the years. I'd argue for something from Pet Sounds (probably the second most important album of the decade) -- probably Wouldn't It Be Nice.

Aretha Franklin's Respect has to be on the list. I'd also argue for Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.

You can't leave off Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen.

My personal favorite is Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum.

You can't ignore the Detroit sound -- maybe the Track of My Tears by the Miracles, Reach Out by the Four Tops or something from the Supremes (they WERE the second-most popular group of the decade). I know that Frankie Valli and the Four seasons were huge in the decade. When I was a freshman at Duke in the fall of 1967, the biggest hit on the radio at the time was Wendy by The Association.

I'm a child of the '50s (at least that's when I came of age) and I can't forget so many songs -- My Generation by The Who ... I can still sing every word of House of the Rising Sun ... I Got You Babe by Cher (who could really sing) and Sonny (who couldn't) ... I like RPS' choice of For What It's Worth ... Turn, Turn Turn by the Byrds was huge ... People Get Ready, Unchained Melody, Wild Thing ... god, I could pick a thousands songs. Oh god, nothing from the Fifth Dimension?

FWIW: Rolling Stone recently asked its readers to pick the 10 best songs of the decade:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-songs-of-the-sixties-20110405/1-bob-dylan-like-a-rolling-stone-0174832

Devilwin
02-24-2017, 08:20 PM
I can't limit it to ten. So here's my list of 30, with an added limitation of only one song per artist (so I won't be Beatles-heavy). For reference, the Billboard Top Twenty is here (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6296373/billboard-hot-100-1960).

The Who, “My Generation”
The Band, “The Weight”
The Hollies, “Bus Stop”
The Troggs, “Wild Thing”

Yeah, I thought about 25 at least. Lots of good songs way back then.

RPS
02-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Yup.

You can go through the same debate over Dylan (Blowing in the Wind?) or the Doors (Light My Fire?) or the Stones (Satisfaction?). Simon and Garfinkel need to be on the list, but do you go with Sounds of Silence or Bridge over Troubled Water (performed and recorded in the '60s, but not released until '71). The Beach Boys have gained in reputation over the years. I'd argue for something from Pet Sounds (probably the second most important album of the decade) -- probably Wouldn't It Be Nice.
I didn't go with anything like "most influential" because it would make an impossible task that much harder. I went with the songs I like best. Where my choices disagree with these, you have a very good argument.

Aretha Franklin's Respect has to be on the list. I'd also argue for Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart.
Pearl was very hard to leave off.

It was my #31.

Great song.

You can't ignore the Detroit sound -- maybe the Track of My Tears by the Miracles, Reach Out by the Four Tops or something from the Supremes (they WERE the second-most popular group of the decade). I know that Frankie Valli and the Four seasons were huge in the decade. When I was a freshman at Duke in the fall of 1967, the biggest hit on the radio at the time was Wendy by The Association.
All great songs. You could easily add some Ray Charles, Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash too, especially if you stick to dates more than genre.

Thanks for sharing.

Devilwin
02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Here's a list of the top selling hits of the sixties.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVv1Q47BYflIAVysnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEycXNta2s 3BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDQjM0NDhfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1488016337/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2frateyourmusic.com%2flist%2fdjiaind %2fbest_selling_singles_of_the_1960s%2f/RK=0/RS=n4i0bDccnQDKpuPVnK.bBGPMtO0-

devildeac
02-24-2017, 09:23 PM
I could probably contemplate this for hours and come up with 50 songs so I admire the folks who have already posted their lists of 10-30 tunes.

duke79
02-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Love this thread. Great decade for music. It would be hard to pick just 10 songs. There were dozens and dozens of great songs, IMHO, and many, many great, groundbreaking groups that came along in the 60's. Obviously, a very tumultuous decade in American history and much of the music reflected that dynamic.

duke74
02-24-2017, 09:52 PM

The Who, “My Generation”
The Band, “The Weight”
The Hollies, “Bus Stop”
The Troggs, “Wild Thing”

This...and I'd add "Today" and "Coming Back to Me" by Jefferson Airplane (prefer to White Rabbit), "Midnight Confessions" by the Grass Roots, and of course "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond.

A great era...from transitioning from 50s rock and roll, to the British invasion, to psychedelia. I live on Sixties on 6 on SiriusXM.

YmoBeThere
02-24-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm fairly certain the list begins and ends with:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly

But what do I know? I was born in '71.

-jk
02-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Can we have a ruling? Does "60's" music stretch into the early 70's? (Similarly, any discussion of "80's" music might include the late 70's.)

It was the mid-70's that was mostly a wasteland, teenaged or otherwise...

-jk

YmoBeThere
02-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Does "60's" music stretch into the early 70's? (Similarly, any discussion of "80's" music might include the late 70's.)
-jk

List revised

I'm fairly certain the list is this:

Aqualung by Jethro Tull
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly

But what do I know? I was born in '71.

killerleft
02-25-2017, 01:41 AM
Picking a top ten from the 60s? Impossible. As a preteen and teen growing up during that period, the best I remember as my favorites at that time? Still impossible, but here's a legitimate attempt at it:

1. "Sherry", The Four Seasons
2. "The Twist", Chubby Checker.
3. "House of the Rising Sun", Eric Burdon & the Animals
4. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", The Beatles
5. "Soul and Inspiration", The Righteous Brothers
6. "With a Little Help From My Friends", Joe Cocker (nice assist by Paul, John, and Ringo:o)
7. "Magic Carpet Ride", Steppenwolf
8. "Spinning Wheel", Blood, Sweat and Tears
9. "California Dreamin'", The Mamas and the Papas
10. "Crimson and Clover", Tommy James & the Shondells

Olympic Fan
02-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Can we have a ruling? Does "60's" music stretch into the early 70's? (Similarly, any discussion of "80's" music might include the late 70's.)

It was the mid-70's that was mostly a wasteland, teenaged or otherwise...

-jk

Are you kidding?

1975 was one of the great years in rock music -- the golden age of punk rock.

Patti Smith released Horses (with the greatest song of the decade -- Gloria)

Queen released A Night at the Opera (with Bohemian Rhapsody)

David Bowie released the Young Americans (and had a hit with the song Fame, co-written with John Lennon)

A kid from Jersey released an album called Born to Run ... and Bruce Springsteen found himself on the cover of Time and Newsweek at the same time.

The Sex Pistols exploded in England in 1975 ... the Clash came together in that year (although they didn't explode until '77)

1975 was the year of Abba's Dancing Queen, Gaynor's I Will Survive and Elton's Philadelphia Freedom. If you like country, John Denver did Thank God I'm a Country Boy and Glen Campbell did Rhinestone Cowboy.

The Ramones debuted Blitzkrieg Bop at CGBG in 1975 ... Deborah Harry and Blondie were also blowing up there, along with the Talking Heads and Television.

Expand to 1974 and 1976 and you get just as much gold ... It was a GREAT period in rock.

campered
02-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Here's a list of the top selling hits of the sixties.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVv1Q47BYflIAVysnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEycXNta2s 3BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM1BHZ0aWQDQjM0NDhfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1488016337/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2frateyourmusic.com%2flist%2fdjiaind %2fbest_selling_singles_of_the_1960s%2f/RK=0/RS=n4i0bDccnQDKpuPVnK.bBGPMtO0-

Yahoo does not authorize this link. Option, go there at your own risk! Wonder why??

Devilwin
02-25-2017, 03:45 PM

Just take the Beatles. Easily the most successful artists of the decades (although The Supremes sold nearly as many records), yet when you try to pick their best or most important song, you go in circles. USA Today not long ago picked Ticket to Ride, RPS picked A Day in the Life, Devilwin picked Hey Jude. Their most important song was the light-weight I Wanna Hold Your Hand -- in that it was the song that made them a cultural phenomena. I would argue that the album Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the most influencial record of the decade ... but didn't produce a clearcut best song.

So what song does represent the Beatles in the 1960s?

I'm a child of the '50s (at least that's when I came of age) and I can't forget so many songs -- My Generation by The Who ... I can still sing every word of House of the Rising Sun ... I Got You Babe by Cher (who could really sing) and Sonny (who couldn't) ... I like RPS' choice of For What It's Worth ... Turn, Turn Turn by the Byrds was huge ... People Get Ready, Unchained Melody, Wild Thing ... god, I could pick a thousands songs. Oh god, nothing from the Fifth Dimension?

FWIW: Rolling Stone recently asked its readers to pick the 10 best songs of the decade:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-songs-of-the-sixties-20110405/1-bob-dylan-like-a-rolling-stone-0174832

I've been looking for the Supremes record sales, and do not see them listed anywhere. I did see one item that had them at around 26 million, and other at 32 million. There is a claim of 100 million, but even that is not even close to the Beatles, at 276 million confirmed by RIAA. There are claims of over 600 million for the Beatles, but we go with RIAA. Where did the info about the Supremes sales come from? I looked everywhere under top recording artists and didn't see the Supremes at all, which is odd, because the group was very popular in the sixties.
A Day In The Life in my opinion, was Sgt Pepper's Best.

RPS
02-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Are you kidding?

[1975 was fantastic]. Expand to 1974 and 1976 and you get just as much gold ... It was a GREAT period in rock.
Exactly.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2017, 07:00 PM
I've been looking for the Supremes record sales, and do not see them listed anywhere. I did see one item that had them at around 26 million, and other at 32 million. There is a claim of 100 million, but even that is not even close to the Beatles, at 276 million confirmed by RIAA. There are claims of over 600 million for the Beatles, but we go with RIAA. Where did the info about the Supremes sales come from? I looked everywhere under top recording artists and didn't see the Supremes at all, which is odd, because the group was very popular in the sixties.
A Day In The Life in my opinion, was Sgt Pepper's Best.

The claim that the Supremes were the second-biggest selling group of the 1960s is something I've heard on a number of occasions, including the documentary The History of Rock and Roll. But you are right -- it is a surprisingly hard claim to nail down. Looking at it more closely, one problem is the games Motown's Barry Gordy played with his sales records -- to this day, it's impossible to get accurate accounting of any Motown artists and their sales.

I can offer this, Billboard Magazine's bio of the Supremes:

http://www.billboard.com/artist/419238/supremes/biography

It does start out by calling them the most successful American group of the '60s, adding "for a time rivaled even the Beatles in terms of red-hot commercial appeal, reeling off five number one singles in a row at one point."

It was a short-lived rivalry. For the decade, the Beatles buried the Supremes (and everybody else). It wasn't close. But they might have been No. 2 in the decade ... it's just not as clear.

ncexnyc
02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
I don't know how you can have any list of top songs from the sixties without Napoleon XIV's, "They're Coming to Take Me Away," or The Royal Guardsman's, "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron." Two 45's I gladly saved up my nickels and dimes for.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2017, 11:03 PM
I don't know how you can have any list of top songs from the sixties without Napoleon XIV's, "They're Coming to Take Me Away," or The Royal Guardsman's, "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron." Two 45's I gladly saved up my nickels and dimes for.

Well, if you are going to go there, you have to mention Allen Sherman's 1963 Grammy winner, "Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder," which was the best-selling comic song of the 1960s (with the possible exception of Bobby Pickett's "Monster Mash" which was not as big an initial hit, but made the Billboard charts three times in the decade as a seasonal novelty song.)

PS I much prefer Sherman's lesser known hit, "The End of the Symphony" ... also, as long as we're on this line, does anybody else from that era remember Tom Lehrer?

duke74
02-26-2017, 03:10 AM
Well, if you are going to go there, you have to mention Allen Sherman's 1963 Grammy winner, "Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder," which was the best-selling comic song of the 1960s (with the possible exception of Bobby Pickett's "Monster Mash" which was not as big an initial hit, but made the Billboard charts three times in the decade as a seasonal novelty song.)

PS I much prefer Sherman's lesser known hit, "The End of the Symphony" ... also, as long as we're on this line, does anybody else from that era remember Tom Lehrer?

"All the counselors hate the waiters and the lake has alligators...". Resonated with those of us who did the sleepaway camp thing in our youth (generally Jewish kids from NYC).

And I do remember Lehrer.

Devilwin
02-26-2017, 03:48 AM
The claim that the Supremes were the second-biggest selling group of the 1960s is something I've heard on a number of occasions, including the documentary The History of Rock and Roll. But you are right -- it is a surprisingly hard claim to nail down. Looking at it more closely, one problem is the games Motown's Barry Gordy played with his sales records -- to this day, it's impossible to get accurate accounting of any Motown artists and their sales.

I can offer this, Billboard Magazine's bio of the Supremes:

http://www.billboard.com/artist/419238/supremes/biography

It does start out by calling them the most successful American group of the '60s, adding "for a time rivaled even the Beatles in terms of red-hot commercial appeal, reeling off five number one singles in a row at one point."

It was a short-lived rivalry. For the decade, the Beatles buried the Supremes (and everybody else). It wasn't close. But they might have been No. 2 in the decade ... it's just not as clear.

I found one site that said the Supremes sales were inflated to give them Gold records that the sales didn't justify (for example, giving a gold record for 500,000 units sold instead of a million) all done by Gordy. I will find that link and give it to you if you want. Also could not find anything on the Four Seasons, and they sold millions too.

RPS
02-26-2017, 08:54 AM
[D]oes anybody else from that era remember Tom Lehrer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Oh yes. Those interested might visit the Tom Lehrer Wisdom Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/6funswede).

ricks68
02-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Vatican Rag

ricks

ricks68
02-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Bill Dana as The Astronaut.

ricks

ricks68
02-26-2017, 02:21 PM

ricks

Sorry, not a song. But the Purple People Eater is.

ricks

Ggallagher
02-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Sorry, not a song. But the Purple People Eater is.

ricks

Yes, but.... That's a song from the fifties. And thanks for reminding me of that :(

ricks68
02-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Yes, but... That's a song from the fifties. And thanks for reminding me of that :(

Sorry, but I don't think that I should be the only one to suffer.😯

ricks

Olympic Fan
02-26-2017, 03:31 PM

ricks

As ricks points out ... not a song. There were several comic records which went big in the decade. Bob Newhart had several HUGE comic albums in the 1960s. And Vaughn Meader had a specular success with "First Family", a 1962 parody of the Kennedy family.

As for Lehrer, there was a period when I was in high school that I thought it was the most brilliant artist working ... my favorite was "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"

I guess you had to be there.

PS I might not have been wrong to think of Lehrer as a genius -- he was a mathematician of note and taught political science at MIT. More significantly, he's believed to be the inventor of the Jello shot (and they gave Dylan the Nobel Prize!)

burnspbesq
02-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Gotta dig a little deeper to find the hidden gems.

"Since I Fell for You," Lenny Welch
"My Guy," Mary Wells
"Because," The Dave Clark Five"
"A Summer Song," Chad and Jeremy
"Ferry Cross the Mersey," Gerry and the Pacemakers
"God Only Knows," The Beach Boys
"Rhythm of the Rain," The Cascades
"Walk Away Renee," The Left Banke
"She Has a Way," The Byrds
"Alone Again Or," Love
"Today," Jefferson Airplane
"Flying on the Ground Is Wrong," Buffalo Springfield
"Soul Sacrifice," Santana
"Tell It Like It Is," Aaron Neville
"You're All I Need to Get By," Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
"Green Onions," Booker T. And the MGs
"Higher and Higher," Jackie Wilson
"Gimme Some Lovin," The Spencer Davis Group
"Tell Her No," The Zombies
"For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her," Simon and Garfunkel
"Twelve Thirty," The Mamas and the Papas
"I Got a Line on You," Spirit
"Crossroads," Cream

FWIW, my alltime favorite Beatles song is "Tell Me Why."

burnspbesq
02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
my favorite was "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"

Anyone who doesn't understand that "The Masochism Tango" is the greatest song ever written ... I just can't.

devildeac
02-26-2017, 10:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Oh yes. Those interested might visit the Tom Lehrer Wisdom Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/6funswede).

Vatican Rag

ricks

Masochism Tango. Yes, Mrs. dd and I have circled the dance floor more than once to that bizarro song.

burnspbesq
02-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Can we have a ruling?It was the mid-70's that was mostly a wasteland, teenaged or otherwise...

-jk

I'm happy to live in any wasteland where the soundtrack includes "Aja," "Born to Run," "Heart Like a Wheel," "My Aim Is True," "The Pretender," "Terrence Boylan," the original cast soundtrack of "Company," the Horne/Mc Cracken recording of "Carmen," "The Hissing of Summer Lawns," "Pieces of the Sky," "Learn to Love It," and "Pat Metheny Group," just to name a few.

Devilwin
02-27-2017, 05:20 AM

"Since I Fell for You," Lenny Welch
"My Guy," Mary Wells
"Because," The Dave Clark Five"
"A Summer Song," Chad and Jeremy
"Ferry Cross the Mersey," Gerry and the Pacemakers
"God Only Knows," The Beach Boys
"Rhythm of the Rain," The Cascades
"Walk Away Renee," The Left Banke
"She Has a Way," The Byrds
"Alone Again Or," Love
"Today," Jefferson Airplane
"Flying on the Ground Is Wrong," Buffalo Springfield
"Soul Sacrifice," Santana
"Tell It Like It Is," Aaron Neville
"You're All I Need to Get By," Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
"Green Onions," Booker T. And the MGs
"Higher and Higher," Jackie Wilson
"Gimme Some Lovin," The Spencer Davis Group
"Tell Her No," The Zombies
"For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her," Simon and Garfunkel
"Twelve Thirty," The Mamas and the Papas
"I Got a Line on You," Spirit
"Crossroads," Cream

FWIW, my alltime favorite Beatles song is "Tell Me Why."

Some great ones on that list. Have you heard the Beach Boys version of "Tell Me Why"? It's a studio out take, can't recall which album it's on, but a very good version.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVu6K_bNYvQQAmnInnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyczh0YXF uBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjM0NDhfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1488219659/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dlkn8 9Z2m6J4/RK=0/RS=ne0bSeh9qD.V1t.PCl8z6HUGe2g-

RPS
02-27-2017, 08:52 AM

"Gimme Some Lovin'" is a fantastic song. Indeed, this is a great list.

Also, fidel (rightly) pointed out that my list doubled up on Sam Cooke. I'd replace that song with "Louie, Louie," by the Kingsmen or, now that I'm reminded of it, "Gimme Some Lovin'."

camion
02-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Sorry, but I don't think that I should be the only one to suffer.😯

ricks

Hey, don't diss Purple People Eater. That was the first record I bought with my own money.

I was 8 at the time. :)

Devilwin
02-27-2017, 05:18 PM
How about "Im Henry the 8th, I am" by Herman's Hermits?

-jk
02-27-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm happy to live in any wasteland where the soundtrack includes "Aja," "Born to Run," "Heart Like a Wheel," "My Aim Is True," "The Pretender," "Terrence Boylan," the original cast soundtrack of "Company," the Horne/Mc Cracken recording of "Carmen," "The Hissing of Summer Lawns," "Pieces of the Sky," "Learn to Love It," and "Pat Metheny Group," just to name a few.

Sorry - I was thinking more about what got air time on the mid-70s radio...

-jk

Jeffrey
02-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Sorry - I was thinking more about what got air time on the mid-70s radio...

-jk

You merely missed by a couple years. It was around 1977 when Disco ended the greatest run in music.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Just checking out a song that I thought might deserve placement here when I ran across a list of Burt Bacharach (most with lyrics by Hal David)

I was blown away ...

He had a top 10 song for Perry Como in the '50s, but his first '60s hit was "Please Stay" by the Drifters -- which was a hugely popular song at Duke when I was there.

That's just the start. It was followed by:
Baby, It's You by the Shirelles
Only Love Can Break a Heart by Gene Pitney
Don't Make Me Over by Dionne Warwick
Wishin and Hopin by Dionne Warwick
Blue on Blue by Bobby Vinton
Close to You, which was a minor hit for Richard Chamberlain, but blew up in 1970 for the Carpenters
Walk On By by Dionne Warwick
Always Something There to Remind Me by Lou Johnson (a song covered almost a dozen times)
What the World Needs Now is Love by Jackie DeShannon ... this was the song I was checking out ...
What's New I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.cat? by Tom Jones
The Look of love by Dusty Springfield (the best female voice of the decade)
Say a Little Prayer by Dionne Warwick
Do You know the Way to San Jose? by Dionne Warwick
This Guy's in Love with You by Herb Alpert (No. 1 for Albert; No. 7 for Warwick)
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head by BJ Thomas

He also had big hits in the decade with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (Gene Pitney) and Alfie (with Cilla Black)

He would later write for Neil Diamond, Rod Stewart, Patti LeBelle, Roberta Flack and Elvis Costello.

Obviously, his stuff is pop, not rock, but he was a huge part of the 1960s sound.

duke74
02-27-2017, 08:44 PM
How about "Im Henry the 8th, I am" by Herman's Hermits?

Prefer "Listen People" or "End of the World", although Henry is certainly a classic

Saw Peter Noone at BB Kings a few weeks ago. Sensational show...gave his all. (Wife has crushed on him since he was baby-faced Herman)

NashvilleDevil
03-01-2017, 06:15 AM
I'm going to come back to this thread later but I'll add anything by one of my favorites, Sam Cooke. That is all.

Devilwin
03-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Prefer "Listen People" or "End of the World", although Henry is certainly a classic

Saw Peter Noone at BB Kings a few weeks ago. Sensational show...gave his all. (Wife has crushed on him since he was baby-faced Herman)

My favorite song by them was "She's A Must To Avoid".
And Gene Pitney was awesome. It Hurts To Be In Love was one of my all time favorites.
Beau Brummels had a string of great songs too.

duke74
03-01-2017, 08:21 PM
My favorite song by them was "She's A Must To Avoid".
And Gene Pitney was awesome. It Hurts To Be In Love was one of my all time favorites.
Beau Brummels had a string of great songs too.

I remember when folks thought it was "She's a Muscular Boy."

Loved the Beau Brummels - "Just a Little." "So I'll cry just a little cause I love you so...And I'll die just a little cause I have to go...Away..." And "Laugh Laugh".

Olympic Fan
03-01-2017, 10:03 PM
I remember when folks thought it was "She's a Muscular Boy."Loved the Beau Brummels - "Just a Little." "So I'll cry just a little cause I love you so...And I'll die just a little cause I have to go...Away..." And "Laugh Laugh".

Don't get us started again with misheard lyrics:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/