PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Miami (Saturday 2/25 4:00 pm ET, CBS) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Chard
02-24-2017, 12:09 PM
I'll start this one off with a short reading assignment. Based on popular discussion topics that I read in the post-game Syracuse thread, I thought this would be appropriate reading going into the last bit of the regular season.

From ACCSports.com: Small-ball euphoria is back at Duke with the awakening of Jayson Tatum (https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/small-ball-euphoria-back-duke-awakening-jayson-tatum/)

Switching screens? "Duke does not switch everything with this group of players, but it takes a liberal approach, and across a variety of positions. Opponents have countered that by getting one of Duke’s guards to switch onto a post player and then exploiting that mismatch."

Big men? "A critical turning point in Duke’s season was marked with the win at Wake Forest — not just because of the last-second win that helped Capel stabilize the ship without Coach K. But because that is largely when the Blue Devils decided to punt on playing two traditional big men."

Short rotation? "Also beginning with that game, Duke has used just two different starting lineups; Tatum, Allen, Amile Jefferson and Luke Kennard have started every game in that stretch, too. Those four players — along with Frank Jackson and Matt Jones — form the core of Duke’s rotation. Over the past eight games, this six-man group has combined to play 92.5 percent of the available minutes."

Good stuff and I think worth your click.

BandAlum83
02-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Go Duke!!!

Saratoga2
02-24-2017, 04:09 PM
I'll start this one off with a short reading assignment. Based on popular discussion topics that I read in the post-game Syracuse thread, I thought this would be appropriate reading going into the last bit of the regular season.

From ACCSports.com: Small-ball euphoria is back at Duke with the awakening of Jayson Tatum (https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/small-ball-euphoria-back-duke-awakening-jayson-tatum/)

Switching screens? "Duke does not switch everything with this group of players, but it takes a liberal approach, and across a variety of positions. Opponents have countered that by getting one of Duke’s guards to switch onto a post player and then exploiting that mismatch."

Big men? "A critical turning point in Duke’s season was marked with the win at Wake Forest — not just because of the last-second win that helped Capel stabilize the ship without Coach K. But because that is largely when the Blue Devils decided to punt on playing two traditional big men."

Short rotation? "Also beginning with that game, Duke has used just two different starting lineups; Tatum, Allen, Amile Jefferson and Luke Kennard have started every game in that stretch, too. Those four players — along with Frank Jackson and Matt Jones — form the core of Duke’s rotation. Over the past eight games, this six-man group has combined to play 92.5 percent of the available minutes."

Good stuff and I think worth your click.

Interesting take but since our bigs have played so little it is hard to say what would have happened with a different lineup in the game. Giles has improved a lot from what I can see and now Grayson is not playing good ball due to his injury. So maybe there is room for something different.

Clearly the coaching staff knows far more than we do about the status of injuries, the current performance of players and perhaps the likelihood of transfer from the program at the end of the season. These are things we either can only guess at or have no information to go on. Given that, who should we start and play against Miami Saturday? I would also expect the coaches need to assess what impact any lineup will have on team chemistry and individual player psyche’s going forward.

I see one choice as totally resting Grayson and starting Amile, Frank, Jayson, Matt and Luke. That would mean that Frank would have to avoid foul issues, something he might not be able to do. Who then would bring the ball up the court? Jayson, Matt and/or Luke? Who would substitute in if Frank then gets into trouble? Harry or Jack White?

Another choice for totally resting Grayson would be to start the bigger lineup with Harry and Amile in the front court and Jayson, Matt and Luke as the back court, bringing the ball up. That might give us some matchup advantages inside but expose us to the quickness of Miami. In that case Frank would only come in off the bench for shorter intervals. Bolden could act as a sub for our bigs. No mention of Chase here because we haven’t seen him for quite a while now.

The coaches can also try and play Grayson but for a reduced set of minutes if he can tolerate them. Again, we have no information as to his status other than his obvious impairment against Syracuse.

Will the goals be to win the game in Miami, to rest our players and get ready for the tournaments, develop some of our players further through PT? My guess is you win the one in front of you and worry about what comes next when faced with it.

At any rate, maybe coach K can give the big lineup another try.

Bob Green
02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see Duke rest Grayson Allen against Miami and perhaps even FSU to get him as close to 100 percent healthy prior to the game in Chapel Hill. We have the depth at wing/guard to play without Allen for a couple of games. He appeared to have no lift on his jump shot (he was basically shooting set shots) and very limited mobility on defense due to the ankle injury. The team needs him healthy against Carolina and in the post season so sit him now.

What's the risk? We drop a couple of games which causes us to get a lower (higher number) seed in the NCAAT. I say roll the dice!

As for this game, take care of the basketball, focus on defense and make shots. We'll be okay.

jv001
02-24-2017, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see Duke rest Grayson Allen against Miami and perhaps even FSU to get him as close to 100 percent healthy prior to the game in Chapel Hill. We have the depth at wing/guard to play without Allen for a couple of games. He appeared to have no lift on his jump shot (he was basically shooting set shots) and very limited mobility on defense due to the ankle injury. The team needs him healthy against Carolina and in the post season so sit him now.

What's the risk? We drop a couple of games which causes us to get a lower (higher number) seed in the NCAAT. I say roll the dice!

As for this game, take care of the basketball, focus on defense and make shots. We'll be okay.

I'm with you on your entire post. Let Grayson sit for two games and get him as close to ready as his injuries allow. I'm of the opinion our ceiling is not very high unless Grayson is the Grayson of old. GoDuke!

kAzE
02-24-2017, 04:23 PM
We have the depth at wing/guard to play without Allen for a couple of games.

Do we? I think we would need to rely on Jack White (who is more of a forward than a guard) if Grayson were to miss a game. without Grayson, we're down to 3 actual guards.

Don't get me wrong, I think Grayson needs to get healthy, but I'm not so sure we really have the depth at guard to play without Grayson unless there's a pretty drastic shift in our play style towards bigger lineups.

Bob Green
02-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Grayson needs to get healthy, but I'm not so sure we really have the depth at guard to play without Grayson unless there's a pretty drastic shift in our play style towards bigger lineups.

Sitting Allen would drive playing a two bigs line-up for more minutes than we have seen. Missing a starter always changes up the rotation but I am of the opinion a healthy Grayson Allen is worth changing things up.

mgtr
02-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Not surprising that Bob Green is right on target about Allen's PT. We need him healthy for next month!

COYS
02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Miami is a good team that could probably punch their ticket to the Big Dance if they beat Duke, tomorrow. Miami has been a tough place for Duke to play since the Canes joined the ACC. KenPom has it as a pick 'em with Duke ever so slightly favored at 52%. Still, despite the fact that this is a tough game and an important one to win, I still hope that the staff decides to give Grayson a break. When we beat Miami in Cameron, it was actually the game when Capel plugged Marques and Frank into the lineup for a long stretch which led to a massive Duke run to eliminate Miami's 11 point lead and then pull away in the second half. If we have to play a big lineup against anyone, the previous game against Miami might indicate that this is the team to roll with Amile and another big guy . . . especially if it means that Grayson can get healthy.

dukelion
02-24-2017, 06:24 PM

FSU is Grayson's last game ever at Cameron......he's gonna play in that game guaranteed.

jv001
02-24-2017, 06:26 PM
FSU is Grayson's last game ever at Cameron...he's gonna play in that game guaranteed.

Maybe, maybe not. He can return if he wants to. GoDuke!

gofurman
02-24-2017, 07:00 PM

Your last two sentences indicate you are way more confident than me. We just lost to a Syracuse team w half (twice as bad) the RPI or Kenpom as this Miami team if I recall. I think at least RPI had Miami as a good bit better. I'll be really happy if we win. We are hurt. Grayson and Amile. And Newton is back

Bob Green
02-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Your last two sentences indicate you are way more confident than me.

I'm a glass half full guy.

Troublemaker
02-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Tomorrow is Senior Day for Davon Reed and Kamari Murphy (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article134845134.html)

Troublemaker
02-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Sitting Allen would drive playing a two bigs line-up for more minutes than we have seen. Missing a starter always changes up the rotation but I am of the opinion a healthy Grayson Allen is worth changing things up.

Agreed. If Grayson rests tomorrow, we would see more two-big lineups. We wouldn't just have Frank, Luke, and Matt play 40 minutes. Jayson would play some at SF.

Tomorrow, we could ALSO see Duke's zone defense being broken out extensively for the first time this season.

Think about the timing. We have just played Syracuse, which means we spent a good deal of time mimicking their zone in practice. Which is basically just Duke's version of the zone as well since Coach K learned it from Boeheim.

We're having lots of problems defending the PNR, and Larranaga is a master of PNR offense. (Well, except when Marques Bolden is involved). Senior Day in Miami. They want revenge for how we embarrassed them in the 2nd half in Cameron.

Perfect time to throw a changeup.

MartyClark
02-24-2017, 08:56 PM
I'm in Coral Gables for the game with my wife and son #2. It doesn't seem like a college town. I haven't seen any Hurricane gear and nobody that we have talked to at the beach, restaurant or bars seem to have any knowledge of the game or interest in it.

The Canes are pretty good and I'm hoping we see good energy and efficiency from Duke tomorrow. Go Duke!

UrinalCake
02-24-2017, 09:37 PM
When we beat Miami in Cameron, it was actually the game when Capel plugged Marques and Frank into the lineup for a long stretch which led to a massive Duke run to eliminate Miami's 11 point lead and then pull away in the second half. If we have to play a big lineup against anyone, the previous game against Miami might indicate that this is the team to roll with Amile and another big guy . . . especially if it means that Grayson can get healthy.

I remember that game very well. We trailed at halftime 36-25 after a miserable offensive showing. But our defense was actually pretty good, with Bolden coming out and executing the hedges on high ball screens and then getting back to his man. He also had a couple of followup-slams and a couple other buckets for what was by far his best game of the season. Coming out of halftime Capel benched Luke and Grayson and let Bolden and Jackson get extended run as he felt they were playing with more energy. Matt had an enormous steal off an in-bounds followed by our first three of the game, the crowd erupted and we ran away with it from there. I think they had only scored 4 points in the second half when there were just a few minutes remaining. But despite the margin of victory, the game felt much closer and really turned on just a couple of plays.

It remains to be seen whether K will try to recreate that magic by giving Bolden extended minutes. Miami is not terribly big up front, so if he can play big then it could be a good matchup.

Newton_14
02-24-2017, 09:57 PM

Fully agree and if Bolden does not play in this game I might lose my mind. In my opinion hard hedging has been our best defense against high ball screens this season and of all the bigs Bolden did it the best. He totally blew up Miami's offense in the 2nd half of the Miami game in Cameron.

That said, I fully expect K to play the same 6.5 player rotation tomorrow with Bolden racking up another DNP-CD and we get killed with high ball screens all game using our switch everything defensive approach. I hope I am at least wrong on the last part if not all of it.

Brockt10
02-24-2017, 10:36 PM
Fully agree and if Bolden does not play in this game I might lose my mind. In my opinion hard hedging has been our best defense against high ball screens this season and of all the bigs Bolden did it the best. He totally blew up Miami's offense in the 2nd half of the Miami game in Cameron.

That said, I fully expect K to play the same 6.5 player rotation tomorrow with Bolden racking up another DNP-CD and we get killed with high ball screens all game using our switch everything defensive approach. I hope I am at least wrong on the last part if not all of it.

Agree with all of your points. I have more recently noticed teams having a guard on big man mismatch down low. It feels like teams have caught on and expose us every single time. I do trust K though and think he knows best. It could be a learning by fire circumstance where he thinks switching is our best bet at a championship. It's an incredibly aggravating situation though.

gofurman
02-24-2017, 10:47 PM
I'm a glass half full guy.

I can appreciate that. Hope you are right about Duke winning. Just a few facts make this an outlier. Grayson isn't healthy. Amile isn't fully healthy. It's at Miami. Larrannaga does well v K. It's senior Day there. That's big. They, like the Cuse, would love a marquee win. Newton is probably back and they beat UVA without him. He's their main guy

-jk
02-24-2017, 11:00 PM
The Tilde has had plenty of time to riposte Bolden's high hedges. We'll need something fresh...

(Well, unless they have a fatal weakness there... He's a really good coach.)

-jk

Troublemaker
02-24-2017, 11:09 PM
I can appreciate that. Hope you are right about Duke winning. Just a few facts make this an outlier. Grayson isn't healthy. Amile isn't fully healthy. It's at Miami. Larrannaga does well v K. It's senior Day there. That's big. They, like the Cuse, would love a marquee win. Newton is probably back and they beat UVA without him. He's their main guy

Ja'Quan Newton will probably come off the bench for limited minutes. Unfortunately for Duke. He's had a disappointing junior season, and they've been better without him.

gofurman
02-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Ja'Quan Newton will probably come off the bench for limited minutes. Unfortunately for Duke. He's had a disappointing junior season, and they've been better without him.

Serious question. Why are they better off without Newton? He is top two Miami in minutes played and points - Larranaga must think pretty highly of him.

When Duke played Miami last time it was Brown / Newton and Reed that were the three guys w double digit points. No one else did much.
What makes you say they are better off without him? Curious Thx!

subzero02
02-25-2017, 06:04 AM
We are favored by 2.5 to 3 points by most sports books. The money has been going on us. Our game is the 3rd in a triple header on CBS that also features SMU/Uconn (12pm) and UF/Uk(2pm). I'lll be rooting for Semi early.

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Serious question. Why are they better off without Newton? He is top two Miami in minutes played and points - Larranaga must think pretty highly of him.

When Duke played Miami last time it was Brown / Newton and Reed that were the three guys w double digit points. No one else did much.

I said they've been better without him, which is different from saying they would be better off without him. I'm sure Miami wants him on the team and hopes that bringing him off the bench (https://twitter.com/ChristyChirinos/status/835191035898789888) will make him more efficient.

Inefficiency is his problem. In terms of conventional stats, he's a point guard that averages 3.6 assists and 3.5 turnovers and is only shooting 28% from three. In terms of "advanced stats," he's been by far their highest usage player despite a sub-100 offensive rating. It's no surprise that they were 3-0 without him. Shame on Duke if we allow him to play well today against us.

Miami's SBNation site article (http://www.stateoftheu.com/2017/2/22/14702492/miami-hurricane-basketball-should-bench-jaquan-newton) calling for the benching

Miami message board (https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/3-0-newton-newton-suspension/117708) take

Newton_14
02-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Yeah Trouble! What Furman said! Heck I thought you like me an my family!:cool:

Seriously I thought Newton was their best guard at attacking the rim, but I have not seen them play since we last played them so I have nothing to go on in terms of how good they are without him.

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Yeah Trouble! What Furman said! Heck I thought you like me an my family!:cool:

Seriously I thought Newton was their best guard at attacking the rim, but I have not seen them play since we last played them so I have nothing to go on in terms of how good they are without him.

Yes, those Newtons are okay in my book. We are definitely not better without you, and if I haven't heard from you in awhile, I'll seek you out.

As for Ja'Quan, I agree with you that he's their best guard attacking the rim. He's just really mediocre to poor at everything else but has spent this season doing too much of everything else. Just one example - he's shooting only 37% on 2-pt jumpers but those make up 55% of his shots. I think Miami is going to lower his minutes and his role and work with him to lower his usage so that he's playing within the offense and picking his spots to attack the basket. He can be a very effective player if this is successfully accomplished.

WVDUKEFAN
02-25-2017, 08:54 AM
I think we have the potential to win this game and every other game for the rest of the season. We've been a Jekyll and Hyde team this year. With a healthy Grayson Allen, our odds are a lot better. We need things to come together, but we're on the mix.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-25-2017, 09:23 AM
I think we have the potential to win this game and every other game for the rest of the season. We've been a Jekyll and Hyde team this year. With a healthy Grayson Allen, our odds are a lot better. We need things to come together, but we're on the mix.

I disagree with the Jekyll and Hyde description. We have slowly evolved and played every game close.

jv001
02-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Reed is the player that scares me the most. In the games that I've watched he looked to be a good outside shooter and can put the ball on the floor and drive with good results. As others have said, Newton is a point guard that can beat us off the dribble, but I didn't know his shooting percentages were so low. GoDuke!

Chard
02-25-2017, 10:24 AM
I'm just curious to see if certain players are going to be held out if any. This season has had so many surprises.

This UM team kicked UNC'S butt at home this year and Duke hasn't matched UM's intensity when playing in Coral Gables. I hope we see Duke play well today, win or lose. Hurt players shouldn't play 30+ minutes. Mental errors should decline. A butt whooping won't help this team. Another close loss may; as long as the guys play well.

duketaylor
02-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Our defense has improved over the last month, overall, only to somehow disappear at times. I think we've been playing 30+ minutes of good/very good D and also 5-10 minutes of ole D, just ugly. Hard to figure, but I understand the Jekyll and Hyde reference. K's looking for energy-level; I think we'll play hard today and be in another very close game-not about to predict an outcome. That said, GO DUKE!!!

MrPoon
02-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Our defense has improved over the last month, overall, only to somehow disappear at times. I think we've been playing 30+ minutes of good/very good D and also 5-10 minutes of ole D, just ugly. Hard to figure, but I understand the Jekyll and Hyde reference. K's looking for energy-level; I think we'll play hard today and be in another very close game-not about to predict an outcome. That said, GO DUKE!!!

That 5 to 10 min stretch seems to come mid way through the second half and is the difference between comfortable wins and nail biters. K has talked post game about this team learning to win. And performing in tight games is important but so too is a sense of "professionalism" and finishing a team. During this streak nearly every game they had a chance to open up, push a lead and rest/develope our bench. Such a razor edge. We may be good in tight games but we may have injured, tired legs on a jump shooting team.

I really worry about the ACC tournament. Olsen from AZ used to lose early once he was assured of a NCAA bid to be fresh.

hsheffield
02-25-2017, 11:52 AM
I'm in Coral Gables for the game with my wife and son #2. It doesn't seem like a college town. I haven't seen any Hurricane gear and nobody that we have talked to at the beach, restaurant or bars seem to have any knowledge of the game or interest in it.

The Canes are pretty good and I'm hoping we see good energy and efficiency from Duke tomorrow. Go Duke!

got on my Duke shirt and headed to Miami for the game!

was thinking of taking an Uber from our hotel but DH worries that the driver won't be able to get close to the Watsco Center and wonders if we should look for parking around the arena.

Anyone know the roads around there enough to know if it's possible to get a close by drop off by Uber? Or would it be better to try to park?

thanks for any help!!!

Furniture
02-25-2017, 11:59 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/835524094087024640/video/1

Indoor66
02-25-2017, 12:18 PM

was thinking of taking an Uber from our hotel but DH worries that the driver won't be able to get close to the Watsco Center and wonders if we should look for parking around the arena.

Anyone know the roads around there enough to know if it's possible to get a close by drop off by Uber? Or would it be better to try to park?

thanks for any help!!!

Uber should be able to drop you at the stadium. It will be easier than trying to park.

BandAlum83
02-25-2017, 12:25 PM
There was a segment on this week's Coach K TV show highlighting Jack White.

One surprise was that K said Jack has a knee problem that it needs to get drained every so often.

Definitely a 4 yr player- recruited as such even though he had a pro offer in Australia.. when Grayson and Amile decided to stay, K made clear to him that he would have less opportunity to play this year, and Jack was on with that. K says he's gotten better as a scout team player, and is an excellent teammate.

It was a good segment.

Otherwise in the show, K says there is still a lot new happening every week with development and improvement.

fuse
02-25-2017, 12:26 PM

thanks for any help!!!

Without getting into any specific detail (google can help you with details) I'd encourage an Uber alternative. To avoid any (further?) controversy, this is not a political statement. There are some pretty interesting allegations coming from a former Uber employee that reinforce Uber may not be a business you want to support. And no, I do not work for Uber or an Uber competitor.
[Mods feel free to remove this post if the commentary is unwelcome.]

To keep this on topic, I expect another tough game that is winnable with 40 minutes of focused effort.

Let's go Duke!

Bob Green
02-25-2017, 12:34 PM
I expect another tough game that is winnable with 40 minutes of focused effort.

Absolutely should be a tough game today. Miami gave us all we could handle, in the 1st half, at Cameron, before we opened in up in the 2nd half. We are going to need 40 minutes of focused effort to win in Coral Gables.

brevity
02-25-2017, 01:57 PM
There was a segment on this week's Coach K TV show highlighting Jack White.

One surprise was that K said Jack has a knee problem that it needs to get drained every so often.

Interestingly, when doctors drain Jack White's knee, the fluid goes clockwise instead of counterclockwise, because he's from Australia. (Not really (http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp).)

hsheffield
02-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys-made it to the arena . Grayson doesn't look like he's warming up

nmduke2001
02-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Grayson out with a bum ankle according to CBS.

accfanfrom1970
02-25-2017, 03:17 PM
CBS said he's out....get healthy Grayson, we need you.

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys-made it to the arena . Grayson doesn't look like he's warming up

Thanks for the update.

Great news! I just became more optimistic, both for this game, and for the rest of the season.

DBFAN
02-25-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm so Glad Grayson getting today off. We may not win, but unless UNC loses at UVA regular season is out of reach. No need to play him unless it's for all the marbles

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm so Glad Grayson getting today off. We may not win, but unless UNC loses at UVA regular season is out of reach. No need to play him unless it's for all the marbles

It's not just that, imo. We're probably a better team TODAY without him limping around.

That was always the flaw with the "play them to get a better seed" line of thinking.

RESTING them gives Duke the best chance at a better seed. AND gives Duke a better chance of playing near our ceiling later on.

IMO. Glad Grayson is resting. Kinda wish Amile were, too.

elvis14
02-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update.

Great news! I just became more optimistic, both for this game, and for the rest of the season.

I feel the same way. Grayson just isn't effective playing on 1 leg and this team really can make a run at titles if healthy.

Bob Green
02-25-2017, 03:25 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

hsheffield
02-25-2017, 03:26 PM
So far amile is moving around without a noticeable limp

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 03:27 PM
The Florida / Kentucky game isn't going to finish anywhere near on time.

Does anyone know how we can watch the beginning of the Duke game?

DBFAN
02-25-2017, 03:30 PM
It's not just that, imo. We're probably a better team TODAY without him limping around.

That was always the flaw with the "play them to get a better seed" line of thinking.

RESTING them gives Duke the best chance at a better seed. AND gives Duke a better chance of playing near our ceiling later on.

IMO. Glad Grayson is resting. Kinda wish Amile were, too.

I'm just wondering if K is planning on playing Giles and Bolden a lot more today. If so Jefferson would get a lot more rest, and that may be why he isn't out too

TruBlu
02-25-2017, 03:34 PM
The Florida / Kentucky game isn't going to finish anywhere near on time.

Does anyone know how we can watch the beginning of the Duke game?

It might be possible to watch it on the CBS sports app. That's what I'm hoping, at least.

DavidBenAkiva
02-25-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm glad that Allen is sitting out the game. As K said in his presser after the Wake Forest game, he would sit Allen and Jefferson if this were the NBA. Being 2 games out of the ACC #1 seed with 3 to play, I think he is going to play the team for health. That might also mean that we see a number of 2 guard lineups with Tatum at the 3, Jefferson at the 4, and Giles and Bolden playing the post position. Who knows, though. K might play all 3 guards 40 minutes just to spite all the fans.

Furniture
02-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Harry replaces Grayson in the starting line up..

BandAlum83
02-25-2017, 03:45 PM
It might be possible to watch it on the CBS sports app. That's what I'm hoping, at least.

It is such BS how the networks do this. They schedule for every 2 hours. How often does a college bbal game go 2 hors when it is nationally televised and the breaks are longer. We may not be watching duke until 10 minutes into the game.

TKG
02-25-2017, 03:47 PM
FJ with an opportunity to step up.

sagegrouse
02-25-2017, 03:51 PM
It is such BS how the networks do this. They schedule for every 2 hours. How often does a college bbal game go 2 hors when it is nationally televised and the breaks are longer. We may not be watching duke until 10 minutes into the game.

Most outrageous I remember was when the Duke game was preceded by a Nova-Georgetown game that went to double-overtime. Then, losing by six or seven points, Villanova coach Jay Wright called a time-out with 0.2 seconds left -- that "two-tenths of one second" -- to give us another three minutes of delay. We got the Duke game with five minutes left in the first half.

DU82
02-25-2017, 03:52 PM

In the past CBS had been good about scheduling the first game at 1:30 and the second at 4. Not sure what happened today.

Anyway, the game appears to be available at the CBS web site:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/video/cbk-live

DavidBenAkiva
02-25-2017, 03:53 PM

I just logged into CBS Sports and they allow you to watch the game live online.

hallcity
02-25-2017, 03:55 PM
the florida / kentucky game isn't going to finish anywhere near on time.

Does anyone know how we can watch the beginning of the duke game?

cbs-sn?

TKG
02-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Most outrageous I remember was when the Duke game was preceded by a Nova-Georgetown game that went to double-overtime. Then, losing by six or seven points, Villanova coach Jay Wright called a time-out with 0.2 seconds left -- that "two-tenths of one second" -- to give us another three minutes of delay. We got the Duke game with five minutes left in the first half.

There was a time when ESPN/TMZ would schedule both Big East games and ACC games back-to-back with the BE getting the 7pm start. In those days the BE was college basketball's answer to the NFL, the games would last 2.25 hours to 2.5 hours on average. The ACC games were always joined in progress.

pfrduke
02-25-2017, 04:03 PM
We won't tip until 4:15 so may not be much missed game.

kmspeaks
02-25-2017, 04:08 PM
We won't tip until 4:15 so may not be much missed game.

Good to know. The CBS sports app is showing a "coverage will resume momentarily" message so hopefully it'll kick in whenever CBS switches over to our game.

Troublemaker
02-25-2017, 04:09 PM
Harry replaces Grayson in the starting line up..

A lot at stake today for the two-big lineup fans...

NM Duke Fan
02-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Very glad to see on CBS site that Allen will miss the game. Just what some of us had been calling for. Time for Frank to step up further and there may be more time for Giles. Who knows about Bolden, but this would be the game one might think.

pfrduke
02-25-2017, 04:12 PM
And Florida thankfully decided never to foul to extend the game. Not sure why but thrilled that they did.

wilson
02-25-2017, 04:17 PM
My goodness, these uniforms are exquisite. Nary a stitch of black that I can see. I'm in love.

BigZ
02-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Officials already terrible

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Luke just got destroyed underneath with no call. C'mon refs!

Giles looking really active so far. Nice switches on defense.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Already going with Bolden and the hard hedge. Working pretty well.
Too many turnovers early on, though.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Amile with 2 To's early.

Frank with a nice 3.

Duke looking good if they can settle down, tough with a new lineup.

Spanarkel
02-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Officials already terrible

Agree. Two walks called on Duke, two walks not called on UM

rsvman
02-25-2017, 04:40 PM
We have had at least five shots roll around the rim and out!
It's driving me crazy how many shots looked in but ended up out.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Mister Frank Jackson!

Duke's height is bothering miami, nice to see.

Miami is trying to help duke, sloppy. Hopefully duke can capitalize more.

Indoor66
02-25-2017, 04:44 PM
We never seem to shoot well at Miami.

BigZ
02-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Defense is great. Rebounding is great too

pfrduke
02-25-2017, 04:47 PM
We've played really good defense 2 of the last 3 halves. Need to have it stay that way in the next half of this game. Like the energy Bolden had brought on that end - Giles needs to watch film of how Bolden recovers after the hedge; Marques does it much better than Harry right now.

ChrisP
02-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Yet another game where refs allowing tons of contact by Duke's opponent but if we breathe heavy on them...it's a foul :(

curtis325
02-25-2017, 04:48 PM
3 total fouls in the first 16.5 minutes!

hallcity
02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Reminding me a little of the Syracuse game. Many opportunities to go out to nice lead in the first half due to good defense and rebounding but the Duke shots keep rimming out. Somebody's going to get hot eventually. Hope it's Duke.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Luke with some nice moves in the paint. He makes it look easy.

And duke loses focus..layup line...arghh.

pfrduke
02-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Yet another game where refs allowing tons of contact by Duke's opponent but if we breathe heavy on them...it's a foul :(

I don't know. I think they've allowed a lot of contact in both directions. No one's shooting a lot of free throws.

subzero02
Our lack of offense is keeping them in the game.

rsvman
Luke with some nice moves in the paint. He makes it look easy.

And duke loses focus..layup line...arghh.

Meh. One easy bucket of the hedge. We've created all kinds of problems for them.

CAT Blue Devil
02-25-2017, 04:59 PM
1 made free throw by Amile and identical shooting percentages across the board. Strange.

jv001
02-25-2017, 05:05 PM
Sure would like to see Jayson or Luke at foul line against that Zone. Amile seems wasted there not being 100% healthy. Our defense along with some missed layups from Miami has not been the problem. It's our offense that stinks. I thought for a while neither team would reach 20 points by halftime. I sure hope Grayson get's well by tournament time because we need him. Frank has looked good except for that last turnover that gave the Hurricanes the lead. GoDuke!

Almost forgot. What's up with all the slipping and sliding? Maybe it's time for some new shoes. GoDuke!

OZ
02-25-2017, 05:08 PM

By my count, we have 2 fouls at half; they have 3. They are letting them play. We just need to hit a few shots.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Miami has targeted Amile off the dribble and has gotten 2-3 buckets. It hasn't been bad defense by Amile, just a step slow/inch short kind of thing.

Duke has isolated #4 on Miami a few times, but there has been more there that they have missed. #4 is slow footed and undersized.

Luke needs to heat up some for Duke to win this. He has missed some good looks.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Unfortunate way to end the half.

Still right in it, and the defense is looking good. We need to make more shots, plain and simple.

accfanfrom1970
02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
How do we come out of half time and turn it over, then give up a another layup?

subzero02
02-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Shots need to start falling soon and no more turnovers.

jv001
02-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Miami makes a stupid foul that enables us to get the last shot of the half and us up one. Then the in-experience shows it's ugly face with Frank turning it over and the bad guys get a fast break layup. Little things like that can cost us the ball game. I think the announcers said Duke with 7 turnovers and 8 Miami points off them. One other thing, Tatum was on the guys that did not get back down court to help defend a fast break. Miami missed the layup and comes up with the rebound and basket. I know Amile was one of the guys that didn't get back down court. Yeh, little things can cost a team the game. GoDuke!

Karl Beem
02-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Can't comment - I'll get banned.

Indoor66
02-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Didn't think that this team would have such trouble with the offense.

fgb
02-25-2017, 05:17 PM
best case scenario here is going to be a "tough it out" comeback win. bad way to have to win against this miami team.

WVDUKEFAN
02-25-2017, 05:18 PM
I disagree with the Jekyll and Hyde description. We have slowly evolved and played every game close.

This sort of play is what I was referring to. 29% from the floor.

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:19 PM
It is almost March. We can't score and its turnovers galore leading to easy baskets. No more excuses. For all the talent on the court, Duke looks terrible. Miami is not that good, yet Duke is making them look good.

jv001
02-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Didn't think that this team would have such trouble with the offense.

I didn't either. I guess the way we played against the Cuse Zone gave the head coach an idea. Then again, they may play mostly zone. I don't watch them enough to know. GoDuke!

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:20 PM
We can't make a shot!

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:20 PM
This team's prospects for post season are fading fast.

Karl Beem
02-25-2017, 05:21 PM
We can't make a shot!

Nor dribble.

jv001
02-25-2017, 05:22 PM
The way we're shooting opens up offensive rebounding. Maybe that may save the day. GoDuke!

kmspeaks
02-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Too many turnovers, but we are getting what feels like a bunch of good looks that just aren't going down.

dukelion
As many have said all year the reliance on making outside shots will be the death of us.

This team just doesn't get many easy buckets around the rim.

jv001
Nor dribble.

Be careful. :cool: GoDuke!

heyman25
Players better call a team meeting after this awful performance.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Whither Tatum?

uh_no
02-25-2017, 05:26 PM
As many have said all year the reliance on making outside shots will be the death of us.

This team just doesn't get many easy buckets around the rim.

ehhh...outside shots are alright if you're a really strong rebounding team. duke is only slightly above average in that regard.

every team will have down offensive nights. in such cases you need to be able to get stops. this team can't get stops.

Chicago 1995
02-25-2017, 05:26 PM
This is just who we are. Capable of really good nights, but also capable of terrible basketball. Talented team, but they don't fit together and they don't respond well to adversity

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Frank Jackson does not look like a PG.Hope Duval decides to come to Duke.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:28 PM
This is just who we are. Capable of really good nights, but also capable of terrible basketball. Talented team, but they don't fit together and they don't respond well to adversity

The game isn't over yet...

downeastdad
02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't know who looks more helpless this half, Giles or Bolden. Lot of competition from the rest of the team, too.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Whither Tatum?

Oh, there he is!

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Bolden and Giles don't show any NBA potential in this game. If you can't convert from less than a foot from the basket, not sure what positives scouts see.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 05:31 PM
I think Luke has been blocked twice now. Miami is playing good defense with a lot of effort. Tough sledding for Duke.

Tatum and Bolden coming alive. Tatum giving some much needed offense. Bolden with some effort plays.

Big 3 by Luke from Matt, good baseline look.

C'mom Duke, you can do this!

uh_no
02-25-2017, 05:34 PM
I think Luke has been blocked twice now. Miami is playing good defense with a lot of effort. Tough sledding for Duke.

Tatum and Bolden coming alive. Tatum giving some much needed offense. Bolden with some effort plays.

Big 3 by Luke from Matt, good baseline look.

C'mom Duke, you can do this!

shows you how important grayson is in getting other people shots, even when he's not hitting.

subzero02
02-25-2017, 05:41 PM
They aren't biting on Kennard's fakes... instead they are just grabbing his arms.

Also, why do we spend so much time watching the ball after we block it. Grab the ball Bolden.

rsvman
Still turning the ball over way too much.

whereinthehellami
Frank with two big 3s.

I would love to see Tatum with a shot fake and then straight to the tin. Miami playing too aggressive on defense, can be exploited.

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:42 PM
If Duke was sharp today we would be up by 15.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Painful to give up that hoop and harm.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Kennard is killing us, sad to say. Twelve missed shots, and he's been blocked about a million times.

whereinthehellami
Bolden gets boxed out too easily. Need's more fight when rebounding.

Who will step up for Duke?

mph
Painful to give up that hoop and harm.

I love Bolden's effort but he's struggling to figure out where he should be on defense.

kshepinthehouse
02-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Tatum below average transition offense. Seems to never finish in transition.

WVDUKEFAN
02-25-2017, 05:52 PM
I love Bolden's effort but he's struggling to figure out where he should be on defense.

Struggling is a good word. I was going to say he's clueless, but struggling is much kinder. Thanks.

subzero02
If Duke was sharp today we would be up by 15.

I agree... we are getting positive contributions from almost everone. Kennard is struggling with his shot and amile has had some bad turnovers but Giles, Bolden and Jackson have had some big plays despite their mistakes. We have a chance to win but I think this game was important for our growth as a team regardless of the outcome.

heyman25
I will give them credit for fighting back, but poor execution, poor shooting, and giving Miami so many opportunities is not good basketball.

subzero02
02-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Giles with a great screen on Kennard...

Chicago 1995
02-25-2017, 05:54 PM
The two threes Matt jones has attempted in the last five minutes should have him on the bench in these situations. Forever

whereinthehellami
02-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Good night and good bye.

heyman25
Jones needs to stay in the gym and practice shooting. I must say our captains have to improve on offense.

uh_no
The two threes Matt jones has attempted in the last five minutes should have him on the bench in these situations. Forever

man. i'm loving 3 minutes of hero ball offense from duke here. jackson kennard, tatum, jones, all complicit.

heyman25
02-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Team was sloppy and does not deserve a W.

Chicago 1995
02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
man. i'm loving 3 minutes of hero ball offense from duke here. jackson kennard, tatum, jones, all complicit.

At least Tatum and Jackson have actually contributed on O today. Somebody has to shoot. That it's not them -- just like Grayson hero-balling ius to a loss at Syracuse rather than passing the damned ball -- is an utter failure of our on court experienced leadership

Eternal Outlaw
So sick of ACC refs, our driving players got two FTA in a game full of hacking.

Yes, I realize could have made more shots but hard to get a rhythm when everything you do is a hack or bump

heyman25
Coach K needs to go back the drawing board. These guys did not play very well in a very important game.

rsvman
02-25-2017, 06:01 PM
How many threes can we possibly miss in one game?

downeastdad
Team was sloppy and does not deserve a W.

But then again, Miami didn't play well enough to win, either.

heyman25
High expectations in October and no expectations for March.

gocanes0506
02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Coach K needs to go back the drawing board. These guys did not play very well in a very important game.

He can't get the team to play offense within 3 minutes left in the game. Cost Duke at least 3 games this season.

NM Duke Fan
02-25-2017, 06:03 PM
With such poor shooting percentage from Luke and Tatum it was a wonder it was not worse than it was. Jackson was the only bright spot on offense. Bad shooting games happen, at least they did keep figting. Needed way less hero ball down the stretch ...

rsvman
02-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Oh, so NOW Kennard decides to make a three.
If Files and Kennard had made their free throws, we'd actually be tied.

bleedingblue88
02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
season may be one of coach k's worst coaching jobs ever. So much talent for such mediocre results. I think all of us in duke nation sense a 1st or 2nd round exit this year

uh_no
02-25-2017, 06:06 PM
season may be one of coach k's worst coaching jobs ever. So much talent for such mediocre results. I think all of us in duke nation sense a 1st or 2nd round exit this year

it's amazing how quickly DBR opinion turns.

dukeinla
the tv announcers were commenting on the home run pass. everyone knew it was an option except Matt Jones. Senior leadership

BigZ
It is 2012 and 2014 all over again

Chicago 1995
02-25-2017, 06:07 PM

There are a lot of mitigating factors this year, but this is feeling a lot more like 05-06 than not. IMO, that's the worst year K had in the last 30. Never developed anything beyond JJ and Sheldon that year. Didn't develop depth. Cost us against an LSU team coached by a bad HS coach

BigZ
02-25-2017, 06:07 PM
No TImeouts by K when needed

Brockt10
02-25-2017, 06:08 PM
It is 2012 and 2014 all over again

Hopefully this isn't true but it feels that way.