PDA

View Full Version : How good would a pro team of all ex-Blue Devils be???

Vin the Sim
02-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Hi,

EK Forum Newbie - happy to be aboard!

What to do you guys think about current Duke players in the NBA? It's a curious question .... makes me wonder how a roster of ex-Blue Devils would fair against other school-centric teams, such as ex-Kentucky Wildcats, ex-UCLA Bruins, etc.

IMO .... an All-Blue Devil team would be very competitive - right up there with any team, I think. It would also be a very deep team. By my count, 20 ex-Blue Devils have logged minutes in the 2016-17 NBA Regular Season. That ranks second among all schools, with only Kentucky having more.

Here's a 12 man roster of ex-Blue Devils I would pick to represent Duke, if I were to play a simulated basketball game against another school (all stats from the 2016-17 NBA Season):

Starting Lineup

PG Kyrie Irving (24.4ppg, 5.9apg, 1.2spg)
SG J.J. Redick (15.1ppg, 1.3apg, 42.1 3ptFG%)
G-F Rodney Hood (13.7ppg, 3.6rpg, 36.6 3ptFG%)
PF Jabari Parker (20.1ppg, 6.1rpg, 1.0sgp)
C Mason Plumlee (11.1ppg, 8.0rpg, 1.2bpg)

Bench

PG-SG Austin Rivers (12.2ppg, 3.0apg, 39.9% 3ptFG%)
PG Seth Curry (11.7 ppg, 2.7apg, 41.6% 3ptFG%)
SG Gerald Henderson (9.7ppg, 1.7apg, 36.9 3ptFG%)
SF Justise Winslow (10.9ppg, 5.2rpg, 3.7apg)
SF Brandon Ingram (8.0ppg, 4.1rpg, 1.9apg)
C Jahlil Okafor (11.4ppg, 4.8rpg, 1.1bpg)
C-PF Josh McRoberts (4.9ppg, 3.4rpg, 2.3apg)

My starting lineup features a sort of "position-less" Hood at the three spot. At 6'8", he'd be fine crashing the boards and defending even bigger small forwards. I prefer him over a conventional Small Forward like Winslow or Ingram.

Parker, of course, is out with his second ACL tear in three years; if he couldn't be in a sim game or on a roster, I would choose Luol Deng to take his place on the roster. But Luol is a shell of his former self, so Winslow & Ingram are favored for the starting spot ahead of Deng (although Plumlee & Okafor would start together in a bigger lineup). Like Parker, Winslow has also had an injury-riddled season, and his inclusion here is speculative as well ....

I think this Duke team would run well and have no problem scoring points. The issue would be defending - specifically, interior defense .... with no real shot blocking presense on the roster. Perimeter defense might be fine .... especially with Irving's ball-hawking setting the tone.

Thoughts???

Vin the Sim

dahntaysdawg
02-22-2017, 05:42 PM
I built this exact team (minus mcbob) in NBA 2k17. They are undefeated through 15 games so can't imagine real life being any different 😉