PDA

View Full Version : Cut boots Price, Boyce

Olympic Fan
02-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Wow ... bad news.

David Cutcliffe kicked defensive tackle Brandon Boyce and defensive end Marquies Price off the team for "failing to meet the standards of a member of the program."

Big losses -- Boyce was probably out best pass rushing DT and Price was our most experienced DE.

We have a lot of young guys on the D-line, but these are two of our most proven players there.

chrishoke
02-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Huge blow. What is it with our D-linemen? :mad:

Tom B.
02-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Wow ... bad news.

David Cutcliffe kicked defensive tackle Brandon Boyce and defensive end Marquies Price off the team for "failing to meet the standards of a member of the program."

Big losses -- Boyce was probably out best pass rushing DT and Price was our most experienced DE.

We have a lot of young guys on the D-line, but these are two of our most proven players there.

The Chronicle now has a blurb up about it.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/02/cutcliffe-dismisses-sophomore-defensive-linemen-brandon-boyce-and-marquies-price

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Huge blow. What is it with our D-linemen? :mad:

The main problem is who we recruit. There are certain recruits that should not be on the Duke campus but because DE and DT are two of the hardest positions to recruit to at a school like Duke, our staff has 'overlooked' things in the past. It is their fault if you ask me. There are kids out there that deserve to be Duke students that can play defensive line, I'm certain. On the other hand, incoming Jordan and Frey are great kids from the looks of it. No idea about the others.

uh_no
02-21-2017, 02:40 PM
The main problem is who we recruit. There are certain recruits that should not be on the Duke campus but because DE and DT are two of the hardest positions to recruit to at a school like Duke, our staff has 'overlooked' things in the past.

that's quite the accusation.

I'm fine with whomever the staff wants to bring to campus, including taking shots on guys that may have had rough pasts, so long as the staff is also willing to cut them if they repeatedly are unable to meet Duke's standards. It would be unfortunate if guys didn't have any chance to turn their lives around because of where they're from. I like to think that some of these guys that may have had things "overlooked" have turned into valuable members of the program.....but you'll never hear about them because they didn't make headlines for getting kicked off the team or, as some other teams i'm a fan have been known for, stealing laptops.

So I'm not going to criticize a staff with the fortitude to kick top players off the team simply because they gave those guys a shot in the first place.

jaytoc
02-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Elitist and pretentious, I suppose, but I think we should aspire to something better than what Uh, no suggests is acceptable to him. Dedication to excellence and high integrity are not only qualities we hope Duke products exhibit, but should also be qualities we seek in applicants and entering students, even if student-athletes involved in brutal physical competition. Sure, there must be places where folks who've stumbled can be rehabilitated and have a second chance. And there are lots of them. Just not Duke, the way I see/want it.

BandAlum83
02-21-2017, 03:01 PM
I wonder if Jack focused on Basketball exclusively, if he would be getting more burn on the court this year. :rolleyes:

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 03:07 PM
that's quite the accusation.

I'm fine with whomever the staff wants to bring to campus, including taking shots on guys that may have had rough pasts, so long as the staff is also willing to cut them if they repeatedly are unable to meet Duke's standards. It would be unfortunate if guys didn't have any chance to turn their lives around because of where they're from. I like to think that some of these guys that may have had things "overlooked" have turned into valuable members of the program....but you'll never hear about them because they didn't make headlines for getting kicked off the team or, as some other teams i'm a fan have been known for, stealing laptops.

So I'm not going to criticize a staff with the fortitude to kick top players off the team simply because they gave those guys a shot in the first place.

I've always appreciated Cut's willingness to cut ties decisively. But better upfront decisions would alleviate the need in many cases.

duke79
02-21-2017, 03:24 PM
I've always appreciated Cut's willingness to cut ties decisively. But better upfront decisions would alleviate the need in many cases.

My guess is that it is hard to predict with 100% accuracy, when recruiting football players to a school like Duke, who will succeed (or at least survive) academically and in other college endeavors, outside of their athletic careers. Furthermore, do we know what caused Cut to dismiss them from the program? I assume, from Cut's perspective, it was something quite serious. I give him credit for not being afraid to take decisive action.

uh_no
02-21-2017, 03:41 PM
My guess is that it is hard to predict with 100% accuracy, when recruiting football players to a school like Duke, who will succeed (or at least survive) academically and in other college endeavors, outside of their athletic careers.

I think this is very important. There are a lot of really good kids that may not come from perfect backgrounds. I met plenty of them as an undergraduate, and they are every bit as woven into the fabric of today's Duke as anyone else. Many of us here have had the luxury of never having had our backgrounds questioned...many don't have that, and it would be a shame for the university if we rejected them at large because a relatively very small number end up with issues that require them to be dismissed from the program or school.

Skydog
02-21-2017, 04:08 PM
The main problem is who we recruit. There are certain recruits that should not be on the Duke campus but because DE and DT are two of the hardest positions to recruit to at a school like Duke, our staff has 'overlooked' things in the past. It is their fault if you ask me. There are kids out there that deserve to be Duke students that can play defensive line, I'm certain. On the other hand, incoming Jordan and Frey are great kids from the looks of it. No idea about the others.
Since you clearly know the background of these two particular kids and what their behaviors were that got them kicked off the team (or otherwise you wouldn't be so critical of the coach) please share them with the rest of us. I am just curious about what Cut overlooked in Price's background that should have warned him off. Same with Boyce.

sagegrouse
02-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Cut has been head coach here for nine years and has dismissed a few players. As far as I know, there have been no "Lazarus acts," where someone was put back on the team. Is that correct?

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 04:21 PM
I think this is very important. There are a lot of really good kids that may not come from perfect backgrounds. I met plenty of them as an undergraduate, and they are every bit as woven into the fabric of today's Duke as anyone else. Many of us here have had the luxury of never having had our backgrounds questioned...many don't have that, and it would be a shame for the university if we rejected them at large because a relatively very small number end up with issues that require them to be dismissed from the program or school.

I think this is the unfortunate rut that is easy to fall into...that there aren't enough football recruits out there that can play at this level and succeed across the board at Duke. Just not true. But I certainly don't want to mislead and say that every kid that has a problem at Duke was a red flag to begin with either. Any player has the ability to struggle as well as succeed. And many kids do deserve opportunities at Duke as a second chance as you've put it. I do applaud the staff for its swift actions and I'm not saying we take a ton of chances anyway. I simply don't think we have to take many at all.

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Cut has been head coach here for nine years and has dismissed a few players. As far as I know, there have been no "Lazarus acts," where someone was put back on the team. Is that correct?

Zero that I know of.

Bob Green
02-21-2017, 04:57 PM
After a somewhat frustrating day at work, this is not the news I wanted to read. Losing two experienced defensive linemen is a big blow.

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 05:02 PM
After a somewhat frustrating day at work, this is not the news I wanted to read. Losing two experienced defensive linemen is a big blow.

Not just any lineman. Price was on his way to all-acc plus kind of career.

duke79
02-21-2017, 05:03 PM

I agree with you here. And I'm sure that there are non-athletes that Duke accepts who, for one reason or another, don't make it at Duke. They just don't get the publicity that an major sport athlete gets when he or she is dismissed from the team. The admission/recruiting process is not perfect and it can be hard to project who will or not succeed at a particular school. Plus, otherwise good kids do stupid things at that age, that sometimes gets them in trouble.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-21-2017, 05:11 PM
At least we continue to do things the right way.

arnie
02-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Zero that I know of.

Yea, curious if these are "permanent" dismissals. Guess they are?

OldPhiKap
02-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Hate to see this, but I trust Cut and his commitment to doing things the right way. Best of luck to the two young men.

I think the attacks on the kids posted here, without any backing information whatsoever, to be reprehensible. Just my angry two cents.

Bob Green
02-21-2017, 05:26 PM
At least we continue to do things the right way.

Absolutely. Winning doesn't mean a thing if you are lowering standards to win. Coach Cutcliffe is committed to building a program with high standards.

Reilly
02-21-2017, 05:32 PM
... Winning doesn't mean a thing if you are lowering standards to win. ...

This is 100% false. In Chapel Hill, it means you get a ring.

Indoor66
02-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Absolutely. Winning doesn't mean a thing if you are lowering standards to win. Coach Cutcliffe is committed to building a program with high standards.

This is the difference between Durham and The Dump On The Hump.

Jeffrey
02-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Winning doesn't mean a thing if you are lowering standards to win.

I guess you have not seen John Calipari's performance-based compensation progression from 1988-2017.

FerryFor50
02-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Hate to see this, but I trust Cut and his commitment to doing things the right way. Best of luck to the two young men.

I think the attacks on the kids posted here, without any backing information whatsoever, to be reprehensible. Just my angry two cents.

Agreed.

It's not like Duke football players with solid backgrounds haven't been subject to misdeeds.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/duke-walk-on-son-of-john-mellencamp-arrested-again/

You can't really predict who will be top notch players, nor can you predict who will be the best behaved. I applaud the coaching staff for doing what many programs don't have the guts to do.

For example:

http://deadspin.com/woman-punched-by-joe-mixon-says-argument-was-incited-by-1792201184

That said, it's really disappointing that kids like Boyce, Price and Terrence Alls couldn't conduct themselves in a way to allow them to stay on with an up and coming program that needs their talents.

chrishoke
02-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Bad things happen to good people. The true test of integrity is how you respond. Cut is above reproach in that regard.

vick
02-21-2017, 07:10 PM

I strongly agree with this sentiment. With the huge caveat I have no idea what happened in this particular case, taking appropriate chances on players (and then removing those who do not maintain program standards) strikes me as clearly superior only taking people who had better backgrounds. It doesn't make you Art Briles.

Lauderdevil
02-21-2017, 07:23 PM
I hate to see this, but Cut has made clear the kind of program he wants to run, which is consistent with the kind of university Duke aspires to be. We don't know if the issues here were persistent or one-time, academic or outside the classroom. It's perfectly possible these are good kids who simply made a big mistake, like a lot of kids do. What we do know is that Cut is sending a strong message to current players -- and future players and their parents, not to mention the community at large -- that he wants to run a clean program with kids who evidence character in all they do. I say bravo to that.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Just one observation -- Boyce was suspended for four games last season.

I don't know if it was the same issue or not, but it appears he's already had his second chance.

Inonehand
02-21-2017, 10:22 PM

I think it is quite a stretch to call anything here an attack on anyone but it is entirely your right to feel that way. Saying that we let in kids that should not be at Duke simply attacks Duke fans belief that we always do it the 'right' way. We do generally. Sometimes we go too far. Cut always handles issues decisively. It isn't an attack to think we could avoid some of these issues. One of our recent dismissals was suspended this fall at his new school too. My guess is there probably were red flags prior to his admission to Duke.

DukieInKansas
02-21-2017, 10:36 PM
I think it is quite a stretch to call anything here an attack on anyone but it is entirely your right to feel that way. Saying that we let in kids that should not be at Duke simply attacks Duke fans belief that we always do it the 'right' way. We do generally. Sometimes we go too far. Cut always handles issues decisively. It isn't an attack to think we could avoid some of these issues. One of our recent dismissals was suspended this fall at his new school too. My guess is there probably were red flags prior to his admission to Duke.

Sometimes there are no red flags because families do everything possible to hide issues until the kid goes one step too far. Decades ago, that was the case with a local "good" kid - Boy Scout, good family, good grades, volunteer fireman, etc. His step too far was a small pipe bomb at school. Thankfully, no serious injuries. The identity of the young man was a surprise to many.

I'm glad that we have a football coach that will take action when a player, no matter how good they are, doesn't uphold his end of the expectations at Duke. I hope that both young men learn from this experience and go on to have productive and happy lives.

Faison1
02-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Such a bummer! I was really looking forward to seeing our D-Line as a position of strength. I guess I'll have to wait a couple more years....

gep
02-21-2017, 11:51 PM
Sometimes there are no red flags because families do everything possible to hide issues until the kid goes one step too far. Decades ago, that was the case with a local "good" kid - Boy Scout, good family, good grades, volunteer fireman, etc. His step too far was a small pipe bomb at school. Thankfully, no serious injuries. The identity of the young man was a surprise to many.

I'm glad that we have a football coach that will take action when a player, no matter how good they are, doesn't uphold his end of the expectations at Duke. I hope that both young men learn from this experience and go on to have productive and happy lives.

I think this is the key. Recruiting is not exact, but expectations by coach/school and by player can be clearly identified. Player crosses that line...

Bob Green
02-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Such a bummer! I was really looking forward to seeing our D-Line as a position of strength. I guess I'll have to wait a couple more years...

I wouldn't throw in the towel on the defensive line yet. Yes, losing these guys is a blow to experienced depth but we have a lot of young talent especially at DE. We played three true freshmen at the position last season: Tre Hornbuckle, Terrell Lucas and Chidi Okonya. We also have some incoming recruits who have the potential to be immediate contributors.

budwom
02-22-2017, 08:37 AM
I agree with Bob. I think we'll be fine at DE, and Boyce was not a huge contributor at DT, very undersized....still, not good news

mbird30
02-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Agreed 100%

El_Diablo
02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
we let in kids that should not be at Duke

What specifically had they done prior to their time at Duke that warrants this conclusion? Or are you just assuming that there were red flags and that the coaching staff ignored them for some reason?

chrishoke
02-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Marquies Price‏ @ 91Reasons_ 15h 15 hours ago
Thank You🙏🏾

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5OYV-WUkAAcOkm.jpg

Inonehand
02-22-2017, 01:38 PM
What specifically had they done prior to their time at Duke that warrants this conclusion? Or are you just assuming that there were red flags and that the coaching staff ignored them for some reason?

That is 6 dismissals in the past 17 months. That were public. I know nothing specific about any kid. I simply believe we have made poor decisions in some cases. If I'm wrong and I hope I am, that's great. But a dismissal per quarter is not a rate I want to see going forward.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
02-22-2017, 02:36 PM
I appreciate the information about the two dismissals but I find much of the discussion to be mere speculation with no supporting facts. The only facts we know are that two players didn't meet Cut's standards and he dismissed them. This discussion that Duke shouldn't have recruited the kids appears baseless. Who knows how an 18 year is gong to turn out. The admissions office tries to make informed decisions, but nobody can absolutely predict who will or will not succeed. The same goes for football coaches. While as a fan you hate to see talented players fail I applaud Coach's consistently. If you don't do what's expected you have to leave. That is the only takeaway the known facts support in this situation.

jv001
02-22-2017, 03:40 PM
I appreciate the information about the two dismissals but I find much of the discussion to be mere speculation with no supporting facts. The only facts we know are that two players didn't meet Cut's standards and he dismissed them. This discussion that Duke shouldn't have recruited the kids appears baseless. Who knows how an 18 year is gong to turn out. The admissions office tries to make informed decisions, but nobody can absolutely predict who will or will not succeed. The same goes for football coaches. While as a fan you hate to see talented players fail I applaud Coach's consistently. If you don't do what's expected you have to leave. That is the only takeaway the known facts support in this situation.

I agree with your entire post. Without the facts in each case, I don't see how we can say the coaching staff is recruiting some bad kids. I bet there are some good parents that have tried to raise their children the right way. But when 18 year old kids get away from home and away from their parents, you don't know how they will react to being on their own. Some kids that have a sheltered life at home, might go wild in college. The opportunity is there for that to happen. Toss in being the big man on campus(football player), something bad can happen. I trust Coach Cut and his staff to recruit what they think will be good kids. GoDuke!

Inonehand
02-22-2017, 05:44 PM
I agree with your entire post. Without the facts in each case, I don't see how we can say the coaching staff is recruiting some bad kids. I bet there are some good parents that have tried to raise their children the right way. But when 18 year old kids get away from home and away from their parents, you don't know how they will react to being on their own. Some kids that have a sheltered life at home, might go wild in college. The opportunity is there for that to happen. Toss in being the big man on campus(football player), something bad can happen. I trust Coach Cut and his staff to recruit what they think will be good kids. GoDuke!

I agree with this 100%. The original thought on this has been twisted quite liberally but that doesn't really matter at this point. Price's note to the Duke community has me wanting to follow his career especially. Hopefully all involved learn and grow.

NSDukeFan
02-22-2017, 07:04 PM
An alternative would be to never dismiss any players, even if they didn't meet university and program standards , as long as they performed on the playing field.

Of course, this would only be an issue for the big money sport of women's basketball.

Bob Green
04-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Boyce and Price are headed to the University of South Florida:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/dismissed-duke-football-players-headed-to-usf/2321433

They will have to sit out the 2017 season.

OldPhiKap
04-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Boyce and Price are headed to the University of South Florida:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/dismissed-duke-football-players-headed-to-usf/2321433

They will have to sit out the 2017 season.

Thanks for the update, Bob. I wish both young men success and appreciate their efforts for Duke.

BlueDevil2K
12-22-2018, 10:41 PM
I stumbled upon a (not so good) postscript to this thread...

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/12/22/usf-expected-to-dismiss-11-suspended-players-4-assistants/

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2018, 11:03 PM

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/12/22/usf-expected-to-dismiss-11-suspended-players-4-assistants/

Those suspended: WR Darnell Salomon, WR DeVontres Dukes, WR Deangelo Antoine, RB Elijah Mack, RB Duran Bell, DB Donelle Thomas, DB Naytron Culpepper, DT Brandon Boyce, DT Armon Williams, DL Marquies Price and OL Jeremiah Stafford.

None are likely to return in 2019, the source indicated.

Can't say they didn't get their chances. Side note...Charlie Strong obviously don't play.

Furniture
12-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Trust the Cut...

left_hook_lacey
12-25-2018, 07:17 AM
In a world of endless pandering to tender-hearted millennials, it's good to know there are at still coaches out there that will take a hard line when the time is right.

budwom
12-25-2018, 08:47 AM

yeah, Boyce and Price are both gone from USF...plus ca change as the french would say

jv001
12-25-2018, 08:59 AM
I guess in the end, the best thing about this thread was that it was started by OF/Al. RIP and I hope you're having a great Christmas. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
12-25-2018, 11:44 AM

All I can say, Devil2K, is that you have sharp eyes and a great memory.

jimsumner
12-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Duke thought Price had a chance to be really good, All-ACC good, maybe NFL good. A sad end to a once promising career.