PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 2/20-2/26

pfrduke
02-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Two weeks left to play and five teams have to feel like they have a reasonable shot at the regular season crown (with apologies to Virginia and Miami, I don't think there's any reasonable way that UNC loses 3 times and both Duke and Louisville lose twice down the stretch - the six-loss teams are out of contention). Carolina obviously has the inside edge, but their schedule down the stretch is not easy - Louisville, @UVA, @Pitt, Duke. Duke has to play 3 of the last 4 on the road (and the one home game is against FSU). Louisville's biggest test comes this week in Chapel Hill, although @Wake and home for ND are no cake walks either. FSU and Notre Dame need to get hot and hope for some carnage above them - between the two, the Irish have a much better shot at getting to 13-5, with home games against GT and BC before finishing the season out at Louisville.

Looking further down the standings at the bubble, BC and NCSU are done. Pitt's hope for an at large bid is vanishingly small - if they somehow go 4-0 @Wake, home vs. UNC, @GT, and @UVA, I think they'd have a reasonable case, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money against really any odds that they could pull that off. Clemson has a better shot at finishing 4-0, with 3 home games to close out the season after a trip to Blacksburg, but there's not really a marquee win down the final stretch - they might still have work to do in the ACCT even if they get to 8-10. Wake needs to go 3-0 to get to 9-9, and would pick up a big win against Louisville if they did so. Their case at 8-10 would be better if they beat Louisville and lose to Virginia Tech than vice versa, but I think they'd still be in the work to do camp either way. For the rest of the conference, currently at .500 or better, getting to 9-9 would have them feeling pretty comfortable, although still not certain.

Monday
[8]Virginia (8-6) hosts [34]Miami (8-6) (7:00, ESPN)
[19]Florida State (9-5) hosts [146]Boston College (2-12) (7:00, ESPNU)

Tuesday
[46]Virginia Tech (7-7) hosts [38]Clemson (4-10) (7:00, ESPNU)
[76]Georgia Tech (7-7) hosts [104]NC State (3-12) (8:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
[48]Syracuse (8-7) hosts [12]Duke (10-4) (7:00, ESPN)
[30]Wake Forest (6-9) hosts [64]Pittsburgh (4-10) (7:00, ACCN)
[6]North Carolina (11-3) hosts [4]Louisville (10-4) (9:00, ESPN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
[104]NC State (3-12) hosts [8]Virginia (8-6) (12:00, ESPN)
[38]Clemson (4-10) hosts [19]Florida State (9-5) (12:00, ACCN)
[64]Pittsburgh (4-10) hosts [6]North Carolina (11-3) (12:00, ACCN)
[34]Miami (8-6) hosts [12]Duke (10-4) (4:00, CBS)
[146]Boston College (2-12) hosts [46]Virginia Tech (7-7) (4:00, ACCN)

Sunday
[4]Louisville (10-4) hosts [48]Syracuse (8-7) (2:00, CBS)
[26]Notre Dame (10-5) hosts [76]Georgia Tech (7-7) (6:30, ESPNU)

BandAlum83
02-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Personally, I would love to see as many second tier teams win out as possible while we win out also. I am rooting for GT, they've had such a great season compared to projections. Let's get 10 in the tourney!

Bob Green
02-20-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm looking forward to the Miami at Virginia game at 7 pm tonight. Are the Hoos in freefall? Or, can they right the ship at home. Virginia has lost three in a row and four of their last five games. Their one win was against Louisville with the Cardinals playing with a depleted roster due to injuries and suspensions.

PackMan97
02-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Personally, I would love to see as many second tier teams win out as possible while we win out also.

NC State is doing our part to help the bubble teams win out!

BandAlum83
02-20-2017, 05:44 PM

It would be a complete hoot if NCState somehow won the ACCT and got to the sweet 16 with a coach who was already fired! Do they rehire him at that point? Or do they just go forward looking very foolish? I would love to see NCSU make a run in the ACCT (unless and until they play us).

Olympic Fan
02-20-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm looking forward to the Miami at Virginia game at 7 pm tonight. Are the Hoos in freefall? Or, can they right the ship at home. Virginia has lost three in a row and four of their last five games. Their one win was against Louisville with the Cardinals playing with a depleted roster due to injuries and suspensions.

I think Virginia is the victim of a killer stretch in their schedule.

The lose a 2 OT heartbreaker on the road to their biggest rival ... they lose a tough home game to a red-hot Duke team (that has been their biggest nemesis in the Bennett era) and they lose at UNC.

That doesn't look like free fall to me ... Notre Dame's Mike Brey talked of his team's four-game losing streak as "murder's row". Since enduring that, the schedule is breaking in his favor and Notre Dame has four straight wins (and two more coming before their tough finish at Louisville).

The schedule starts to break in Virginia's favor tonight. Miami is playing well, but in C'ville, it's a game the Cavs should win. They also have a road game at NC State that they should win and finish with two home games -- UNC and Pitt. Remember, they are 30-1 at home in the ACC when they are not playing Duke.

Florida State has also struggled recently on the road. I assume they get back tonight against BC in Tallahassee. I want to see how Bacon plays -- he was scoreless at Pitt Saturday and spent most of the second half on the bench (no word on any injury).

Bob Green
02-20-2017, 07:02 PM
That doesn't look like free fall to me ...

I tend to agree with you, which is why I posed a question instead of making a statement. We will start finding out in a couple of minutes. How much energy will Virginia bring on to the court tonight? The answer to that question will be an early indicator of how their night is going to go.

-jk
02-20-2017, 07:46 PM
The score's about right, but I wasn't expecting UVa to be down at the half...

-jk

Bob Green
02-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Halftime: Miami 20, Virginia 19. An absolutely pathetic half of basketball, on the offensive end of the court, for both teams.

Ultrarunner
02-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Halftime: Miami 20, Virginia 19. An absolutely pathetic half of basketball, on the offensive end of the court, for both teams.

Which is why I'm only tracking the box score. For visuals, I'm watching clouds billowing overhead.

The paint was already dry.

duketaylor
02-20-2017, 08:25 PM
UVA scoring a bit in the 2nd half, crowd enthused. Maybe some resurgence going on. Has been a brutal stretch for them.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Which is why I'm only tracking the box score. For visuals, I'm watching clouds billowing overhead.

The paint was already dry.
Feels more like watching the grass grow...

Troublemaker
02-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Props to Malcolm Brogdon for getting his jersey retired. Well deserved, of course. He was UVA's best player in each of their past three seasons, imo.

He was a two-way player -- very effective offensively -- but his defense should be legendary in UVA history. Instant fire extinguisher on any opposing player that got hot, including our own Brandon Ingram last season.

Ultrarunner
02-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Feels more like watching the grass grow...

Fair enough. It's still dormant hereabouts, too.

Just extrapolated - who has the under on /- 80? You gotta shot a to be winner, crazy man.

kmspeaks
02-20-2017, 09:00 PM
ACC refs doing their best to get Virginia off the schneid. Heading to OT.

duke4ever19
02-20-2017, 09:02 PM
ACC refs doing their best to get Virginia off the schneid. Heading to OT.

The shot clearly wasn't in time.

kmspeaks
02-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Yep. The last two fouls on Miami were also just as clearly clean blocks. If Diakite had made just one of two this game is already over.

BandAlum83
02-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Will need at least triple overtime for me to hit the over. I'm done in the ACC wager contest.

This game is so boring, I fell asleep for the 2nd half and missed nothing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-20-2017, 09:13 PM
And UVA's season meltdown is nearly complete.

duke4ever19
02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Yep. The last two fouls on Miami were also just as clearly clean blocks. If Diakite had made just one of two this game is already over.

Ah, that's what you were referring to. I agree.

Looks like Miami pulled this one out. UVA is heading in the wrong direction.

howardlander
02-20-2017, 09:16 PM
And UVA's season meltdown is nearly complete.

Yeah they've been really bad. Maybe Miami will be ranked now.

jhmoss1812
02-20-2017, 09:30 PM
It's tennis season boys!!!!

duketaylor
02-20-2017, 09:32 PM
So much for my "resurgence" post, just another (home) loss as they tumble in the seeding issue. ACC cannibalism continues. Hoos still play @State and home to Pitt (plus home to Heels), so they could notch a couple more wins. They need to, for sure. Exact opposite position as the Devils.

BigZ
02-20-2017, 10:11 PM
How do you score 48 points in a game that goes to OT?

BigZ
02-20-2017, 10:17 PM
I hope the committee leaves them out of the tournament

DukieInBrasil
02-20-2017, 10:32 PM
UVA was up 5 with 1.5 minutes to go, and i had to go somewhere else, only to see they lost in OT. They are in collapse mode.

DukieInBrasil
02-20-2017, 10:41 PM
but the crazy stat of the night is that FSU not only played 13 guys, but all 13 played at least 9 minutes. Not only that, all 13 of them scored. Not only that but they all scored at least 4 points, meaning they all scored at least twice.
That's some serious commitment to your depth.

brevity
02-20-2017, 11:09 PM
but the crazy stat of the night is that FSU not only played 13 guys, but all 13 played at least 9 minutes. Not only that, all 13 of them scored. Not only that but they all scored at least 4 points, meaning they all scored at least twice.
That's some serious commitment to your depth.

They also banked a couple of timeouts. Roy Williams is so turned on right now.

According to the box score, no Seminole player was in the game for more than 26 minutes. I guess that's one way to save your Bacon.

devildeac
02-20-2017, 11:11 PM
They also banked a couple of timeouts. Roy Williams is so turned on right now.

According to the box score, no Seminole player was in the game for more than 26 minutes. I guess that's one way to save your Bacon.

Mann, oh, Mann, Hamilton really had his Ojo working in that game.

(Sorry)

PackMan97
02-20-2017, 11:21 PM
It would be a complete hoot if NCState somehow won the ACCT and got to the sweet 16 with a coach who was already fired! Do they rehire him at that point? Or do they just go forward looking very foolish? I would love to see NCSU make a run in the ACCT (unless and until they play us).

It would be the very definition of NC State &$%*!

I'd love for the Pack to win the ACCT and make a deep run in the NCAAT. I think every State fan just wants success. If Sendek could have won anything of significance (ACCT, NCAAT Regional, etc) while he was here, he'd still be our coach.

That said, the current team has shown no ability to sustain the needed effort for more than a game. I doubt they'll suddenly learn to do so over a five game run.

Olympic Fan
02-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Really brutal loss for Virginia -- now four in a row.

The worst part is their second straight game under 50 points (even with the five extra minutes).

It will be interesting to see if their offense gets a boost against NC State's D -- the worst defense in the ACC ... and 325th nationally in average points allowed (87.0 average points allowed in ACC play) -- Nine straight opponents have topped 80 against them. I hope Virginia can get its offense untracked before UNC goes to C'ville next week.

Good win for FSU -- one that keeps them in the ACC regular season title race. They need help, but have an easy finish, other than the visit to Duke.

They win the tiebreaker to temporarily move ahead of Notre Dame for the No. 4 seed in the ACC Tournament -- and the double bye.

Wahoo2000
02-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Really brutal loss for Virginia -- now four in a row.

The worst part is their second straight game under 50 points (even with the five extra minutes).

It will be interesting to see if their offense gets a boost against NC State's D -- the worst defense in the ACC ... and 325th nationally in average points allowed (87.0 average points allowed in ACC play) -- Nine straight opponents have topped 80 against them. I hope Virginia can get its offense untracked before UNC goes to C'ville next week.

Good win for FSU -- one that keeps them in the ACC regular season title race. They need help, but have an easy finish, other than the visit to Duke.

They win the tiebreaker to temporarily move ahead of Notre Dame for the No. 4 seed in the ACC Tournament -- and the double bye.

Only if they give up uncontested layups and dunks. I've never seen a team, who was SO good on perimeter shots early in the season, go SO cold, over such an extended stretch of games. We got more than enough good looks from 3 and also from 18ish feet that we SHOULD have won easily. It's even in the guy's heads on the FT line now. We missed ALL THREE front ends of the 1-&-1 in the second half when we had a good chance to put the game away. Baffling.

Nearly impossible to believe that we were in the top 10 nationally from 3 as late as the end of January. In the last 5 games, we're 21-87 (24%) from behind the arc, after being 41% for the season up until that point.

One thing is for sure - we lack the interior players to score reliably near the basket, and NONE of the perimeter guys have a very strong driving game. Either the jumpshooting issues will work themselves out, or we'll continue to be BEYOND a trainwreck offensively.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Battle of ACC bubble teams tonight:

Clemson at Virginia Tech, 7 pm
N.C. State at Georgia Tech, 8 pm

Actually, NC. State isn't close to the bubble and Virginia Tech is pretty solidly IN at the moment (although not a lock).

But Clemson an Georgia Tech are classic bubble teams -- FWIW, Lunardi has Georgia Tech as his last team in (as of this morning) and Clemson as his third team out.

I'm watching Josh Pastner's attempt to finish .500 in the ACC. They are 7-7 at the moment with a good chance to win No. 8 tonight. No. 9 will be tough -- at Notre Dame, Pitt at home and at Syracuse to finish out. Maybe Pitt at home, but the Panthers have been playing better.

Even so, I think Pastner has had the best first season in the ACC (measured against expectations) since Rick Barnes at Clemson in 1995 (expected to be one of the worst teams in ACC history, Barnes led Clemson to a rare win at Duke in his first ACC game, then brought the Tigers in at 5-11 -- ahead of NC State and Duke).

SlapTheFloor
02-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Louisville and UNC play tomorrow in the Dean Dome. Our best path to a #1 seed in the ACC tournament would be for UNC to win that one (and then have us win out and beat UNC in our final game). We don't play Louisville again and they have the tie breaker against us. Plus, their remaining schedule after UNC is pretty winnable: SYR, @WF, ND. That said, Go Cards!

OldPhiKap
02-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Louisville and UNC play tomorrow in the Dean Dome. Our best path to a #1 seed in the ACC tournament would be for UNC to win that one (and then have us win out and beat UNC in our final game). We don't play Louisville again and they have the tie breaker against us. Plus, their remaining schedule after UNC is pretty winnable: SYR, @WF, ND. That said, Go Cards!

Go Louisville, beat the crap out of those scum-sucking haughty cheating bastards. I'll worry about how we pass Louisville later.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2017, 02:02 PM

Does it really matter whether Duke is the No. 1 or No. 2 seed?

Yes, winning a share of the regular season title does matter -- that's a championship, but if Duke and Louisville tie for first, both teams are co-champions. Who cares if they get the No. 1 seed on a tiebreaker?

And consider this, we might need to bring UNC back to the pack before we play them. Yes, if we win out, we clinch at least a share of the regular season title. But what happens if we stumble in one of our tough road games at Syracuse or at Miami. In that case, you might be very happy that Louisville won in Chapel Hill (although we'd need help against Louisville (at Wake? Notre Dame?). The absolute worst outcome would be to beat UNC for the second time and still finish behind them in the standings (which could happen if they beat Louisville).

And BTW if we have to share the regular season title, I'd rather share it with Louisville than the Cheaters (and if they won out until the Duke game and lost then Duke and UNC would be co-champs).

So GO Cards! There is plenty of reason beside our general distain for the most dishonest program in college basketball history to pull against the Cheats Wednesday night.

Troublemaker
02-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Yes, winning a share of the regular season title does matter -- that's a championship, but if Duke and Louisville tie for first, both teams are co-champions. Who cares if they get the No. 1 seed on a tiebreaker?

And consider this, we might need to bring UNC back to the pack before we play them. Yes, if we win out, we clinch at least a share of the regular season title. But what happens if we stumble in one of our tough road games at Syracuse or at Miami. In that case, you might be very happy that Louisville won in Chapel Hill (although we'd need help against Louisville (at Wake? Notre Dame?). The absolute worst outcome would be to beat UNC for the second time and still finish behind them in the standings (which could happen if they beat Louisville).

And BTW if we have to share the regular season title, I'd rather share it with Louisville than the Cheaters (and if they won out until the Duke game and lost then Duke and UNC would be co-champs).

So GO Cards! There is plenty of reason beside our general distain for the most dishonest program in college basketball history to pull against the Cheats Wednesday night.

Agreed 100%.

Keep it simple. Besides 9F, UNC is 11-3 and Louisville is a game behind at 10-4. I know that UNC's remaining schedule looks tougher but it's probably too cute to use that as the basis for rooting for the Heels here.

(Not that SlapTheFloor did that -- he/she clearly said Go Cards!)

PackMan97
02-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Agreed 100%.

Keep it simple. Besides 9F, UNC is 11-3 and Louisville is a game behind at 10-4. I know that UNC's remaining schedule looks tougher but it's probably too cute to use that as the basis for rooting for the Heels here.

(Not that SlapTheFloor did that -- he/she clearly said Go Cards!)

There is never a basis for rooting for the Tarheels to win. Never.

In the limited situations where a loss by someone playing against the Cheaters, it is acceptable to root for that opponent to lose but be careful you do not take happiness in the heels winning.

UrinalCake
02-21-2017, 03:20 PM
How do you score 48 points in a game that goes to OT?

Against Wake our strategy was to play zero defense and simply try to out score them. Against Miami, UVA's strategy apparently was to play zero offense and try to out-defend them. It is mind boggling, it's like they think using up the entire shot clock is more important than scoring a bucket. Over and over they would let the clock run down to 5 and then throw up a prayer.

FSU is a sneaky pick to win the ACCT - with all that depth they can stay completely fresh for three games in three days and would have much more energy than their opponent in the final game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Actually, I think it would be pretty amusing if we were co-champs with the cheats but had a regular season sweep to hold over their heads. I could enjoy that. Yes, definitely.

devildeac
02-21-2017, 05:22 PM
There is never a basis for rooting for the Tarheels to win. Never. In the limited situations where a loss by someone playing against the Cheaters, it is acceptable to root for that opponent to lose but be careful you do not take happiness in the heels winning.

I'd like to buy that magazine, please.

brevity
02-21-2017, 06:07 PM
There is never a basis for rooting for the Tarheels to win. Never.

I'd like to buy that magazine, please.

The Technician is a student daily newspaper and can be picked up for free on the NCSU campus.

vick
02-21-2017, 06:17 PM
In a subplot, the UNC-UL game pairs players with very similar offensive stat profiles in ACC play:

Donovan Mitchell: 34 MPG, 121 ORTG, 24.4% possessions
Justin Jackson: 33 MPG, 119 ORTG, 25.0% possessions

Given Mitchell is indisputably a much better defender, you'd think Mitchell would be a frontrunner for POY, but Jackson seems to be getting much more chatter. Hopefully a UL win can change that.

PackMan97
02-21-2017, 09:42 PM

I just had to say something...Pack playing hard against GT up 9 with 6 to play. Though...that is a lot of time left and a few on the Pack are in foul difficulty.

Fouls:
17 on the Pack
5 on Tech

LOLZ. Not since Dean Smith vs Rick Barnes has there been such a foul discrepancy and I'll admit, we only have half of what Clemson did on that day against the Cheats.

duketaylor
02-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Dagger for GT's hopes unless deep ACC Tourney run, see making finals, IMO.

VT now decently solid.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Great night of ACC basketball.

That Clemson-VPI game was a classic. I can't believe how much heartbreak Brad Brownell has faced this season 4-11 in the ACC and they have:

-- an OT loss to UNC (missed a game-clinch FT with five seconds left)

-- TWO one point losses to Va Tech -- the most recently one on a game-winning 3 with three seconds left

-- A one-point loss to Syracuse when they give up a last-second three

-- A two-point loss at Duke when they couldn't get the last shot off at the buzzer

-- they also have a four-point loss to Virginia and a five-point loss at Notre Dame

About two or three more plays and they would be a solid NCAA team ... as it stands, they won't get in the NIT.

Great finish to NC State at Georgia Tech ... State is up 14 with under three minutes left and almost blows it -- Tech has a decent 3-point try at the buzzer to win . Amazing how much better State has played since Gottfried got fired. What interested me was the change in their style tonight. They did the same thing Pitt did to break a slump -- they slowed the tempo down and milked the clock for almost 30 seconds on each possession. THAT is why they held Georgia Tech to 69 -- the first team in 10 games not to top 80 against the Pack.

Agree that's a dagger to Georgia Tech's tourney hopes. It's going to take something remarkable to get the Jackets (or Clemson) in the field now.

Three games tomorrow. All the attention on the two Hall of Fame duels (K vs. Boeheim and Roy vs. Pitino), but don't overlook Pitt at Wake Forest -- the last two bubble teams for the ACC (well, maybe Syracuse, but if they lose to us, they are in trouble).

Olympic Fan
02-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Pretty good article in the New York Times, touting the 2017 ACC as the strongest conference in the history of college basketball:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/sports/ncaabasketball/acc-basketball-ncaa-tournament.html?_r=0

wgl1228
02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Despite the loss last night things still could get interesting. Obviously Duke needs to win out but they also need UNC and Louisville to lose another game before the March 4 match up. UNC has Pitt and UVA on the road and both teams are certainly capable of winning. Louisville has Syracuse at home, Wake on the road, and Notre Dame at home. A few things have to fall into place but a chance at winning the ACC regular season is still there.

CDu
02-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Despite the loss last night things still could get interesting. Obviously Duke needs to win out but they also need UNC and Louisville to lose another game before the March 4 match up. UNC has Pitt and UVA on the road and both teams are certainly capable of winning. Louisville has Syracuse at home, Wake on the road, and Notre Dame at home. A few things have to fall into place but a chance at winning the ACC regular season is still there.

Just to add to your point. We will be the #1 seed if the following happen:
- we win out;
- UNC losses to either UVa or Pitt; and
- Louisville loses to Notre Dame

It would then be a 3 or 4 way tie, and we'd have the tiebreaker in a 3-way tie with UNC and Louisville (we'd be 2-1, Louisville 1-1, UNC 1-2) and a 4-way tie with Louisville, UNC, and Notre Dame (we'd be 3-1, UNC 2-2, Notre Dame 1-2, and Louisville 1-2)

I would say our chances of an outright regular season crown are basically nonexistent. But I think our chances of a shared ACC regular season title are very much alive. Probably unlikely. But very much alive.

Olympic Fan
02-23-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm not giving up on a share of the regular season title until (1) Duke loses again or (2) UNC sweeps Pitt and Virginia on the road.

I know the Cheats seem to be in a good place, but they have been VERY ordinary on the road.

I do think somebody is going to finish 13-5 or better ... that's why we can't lose ourselves.

My top goal at the moment is still to win a share of the regular season title ... next to that, I don't care if we are seeded 1-2-3-4 ... but I think the double bye is an important goal.

CDu
02-23-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm not giving up on a share of the regular season title until (1) Duke loses again or (2) UNC sweeps Pitt and Virginia on the road.

I know the Cheats seem to be in a good place, but they have been VERY ordinary on the road.

I do think somebody is going to finish 13-5 or better ... that's why we can't lose ourselves.

My top goal at the moment is still to win a share of the regular season title ... next to that, I don't care if we are seeded 1-2-3-4 ... but I think the double bye is an important goal.

I completely agree. A 13-5 record won't be easy for us to reach. But it is definitely possible. We'll have to play better defense than we did against Wake and against Syracuse though. Our defense has, simply stated, put too much pressure on our offense in the last two games. We were fortunate to win at home and unfortunate to lose on the road. But in both games the defense was awful. That can't continue if we want to get a share of the regular season title, nor can it continue if we want to win either of the ACC or NCAA titles.

Bob Green
02-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Saturday
[104]NC State (3-12) hosts [8]Virginia (8-6) (12:00, ESPN)
[38]Clemson (4-10) hosts [19]Florida State (9-5) (12:00, ACCN)
[64]Pittsburgh (4-10) hosts [6]North Carolina (11-3) (12:00, ACCN)
[34]Miami (8-6) hosts [12]Duke (10-4) (4:00, CBS)
[146]Boston College (2-12) hosts [46]Virginia Tech (7-7) (4:00, ACCN)

The penultimate Saturday (regular season) has arrived. I was planning to take my grandson to the Duke - St. Joseph Lacrosse game today but the weather report says 60 percent chance of rain with thunderstorms from noon to 4 pm so I guess I'll stay home and watch basketball all day instead.

Virginia travels to NC State having lost four games in a row and five of last six. State finally won a game earlier this week after dropping seven in a row. A trip to Raleigh is just what the doctor ordered for Virginia. The Cavaliers should win this one.

Florida State at Clemson should be a close game. Vegas has the Seminoles favored by 1.5 points. Clemson is a decent team with a lousy record because they have lost a lot of close games. FSU better bring their A Game because the Tigers are not going to roll over. A Clemson win is good for Duke.

North Carolina travels to the Oakland Zoo to face Pittsburgh. Tar Heels will cover the eight points spread.

Virginia Tech travels to Boston College with the opportunity to secure win #20 on the season. Hokies are favored by six and the Eagles have lost 11 games in a row.

Duke travels to Miami needing a victory to stay in contention for a double bye in the ACCT. Lots of discussion on this one in the game thread so I'll limit my comments to stating I'll be betting on Duke to cover in the DBR ACC Betting Contest. :cool:

Olympic Fan
02-25-2017, 12:12 PM
The penultimate Saturday (regular season) has arrived. I was planning to take my grandson to the Duke - St. Joseph Lacrosse game today but the weather report says 60 percent chance of rain with thunderstorms from noon to 4 pm so I guess I'll stay home and watch basketball all day instead.

Virginia travels to NC State having lost four games in a row and five of last six. State finally won a game earlier this week after dropping seven in a row. A trip to Raleigh is just what the doctor ordered for Virginia. The Cavaliers should win this one.

Florida State at Clemson should be a close game. Vegas has the Seminoles favored by 1.5 points. Clemson is a decent team with a lousy record because they have lost a lot of close games. FSU better bring their A Game because the Tigers are not going to roll over. A Clemson win is good for Duke.

North Carolina travels to the Oakland Zoo to face Pittsburgh. Tar Heels will cover the eight points spread.

Virginia Tech travels to Boston College with the opportunity to secure win #20 on the season. Hokies are favored by six and the Eagles have lost 11 games in a row.

Duke travels to Miami needing a victory to stay in contention for a double bye in the ACCT. Lots of discussion on this one in the game thread so I'll limit my comments to stating I'll be betting on Duke to cover in the DBR ACC Betting Contest. :cool:

Obviously, a Duke win is the prime objective today. But win or lose in Miami, we need:

Clemson to upset FSU and most importantly Pitt to take care of UNC ... FSU has had some road success, but UNC has been quite ordinary in road games ... it's just that thanks to the unbalanced schedule, they haven't had to play that many good teams on the road. The State-Virginia and VPI-BC games don't impact us much -- if we win.

Tomorrow, we need to pull for the road teams (Syracuse at Louisville and Georgia Tech at Notre Dame).

wgl1228
02-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Pitt was down 2 with about two minutes to go in the half and then all of a sudden UNC up 12. Too many second chances for UNC.

jwillfan
02-25-2017, 01:28 PM
State in full tank mode against UVa, Guy having a career day. Really hoping to get that lottery pick...oh, wait, nevermind. :cool:

brevity
02-25-2017, 01:39 PM
State in full tank mode against UVa, Guy having a career day. Really hoping to get that lottery pick...oh, wait, nevermind. :cool:

"Trust the process." - Debbie Yow

BandAlum83
02-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Looks like another heartbreaker for Clemson. FSU had to come back at the end.

Doria
02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Oh, man. I feel for Clemson.

Olympic Fan
02-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Yeah, Clemson up three with two minutes left and failed to score on the last four possessions to lose by two.

In other games, UNC had its best road performance of the year against Pitt (unless you count NC State). And BC, which had been fighting through defeats with real class, appears to have given up the ghost as they were blown out for the second time in a row -- this one at home to VPI.