PDA

View Full Version : MBB Team Poster

duke211
10-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Im going to the Blue White game, will the poster be printed by then? How is the game I never have been to the event?

Highlander
10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Im going to the Blue White game, will the poster be printed by then? How is the game I never have been to the event?

They usually display them at the game, and I assume they are for sale.

The game is fun, although the introductions are usually the best part. The team scrimmage is interesting, but usually sublime, because you end up cheering for both teams.

markbdevil
10-31-2007, 11:34 AM
07-08 Men's basketball poster.

monkey
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Looks pretty cool - is there a larger photo of this available somewhere on the web?

FreezingDevil
10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but this would not rank as one of my favorite posters. I guess I just prefer the players in my basketball posters to be wearing their uniforms.

dcarp23
10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but this would not rank as one of my favorite posters. I guess I just prefer the players in my basketball posters to be wearing their uniforms.

To each his own, obviously, but I'm the opposite. This is one of my favorites, though the ones from the mid 90s where they were doing ridiculous things like wearing suits and talking on cell phones were on a whole other level.

My favorite, still, of all time, is the Championship Vision from my freshman year. I'd love to find a copy of that one some where.

juise
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
This year's is OK in my book. It's definitely better than "Duke Rocks" from a few years ago. My favorite is "The Big Dance" (the team on the court in tuxedos) from the 2000-2001 championship year, my freshman year. I've got that one signed and framed at home.

camcraz25
10-31-2007, 01:48 PM
haha, juise...my favorite is the Big Dance one as well...what is it about nice-looking boys in tuxes?

hurleyfor3
10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
The 1985-86 poster had a chemistry theme. It was shot in one of the lecture halls in Gross Chem and the players were dressed in lab coats surrounded by all sorts of chemistry apparati. And of course it was the '86 team.

VaDukie
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
The Big Dance and Band of Brothers (05-06) are my two favorites.

bdh21
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
My favorite has got to be one from the late 80s... "Team Chemistry" The photo was actually taken in my favorite place on campus: the lecture hall in Gross Chem!!

FreezingDevil
10-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Whats the best way to get a hold of some of those classic posters? now those were old school

Cameron
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
"The Big Dance" is hands down my most favorite Duke team poster. When that poster came out, you just knew it was going to be Shane's year.

Tommac
10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
The Big Dance is also my favorite poster. I have one hanging in my garage. My second favorite is probably the 97-98 Blue Planet poster.

SilkyJ
10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
The poster is OK but I LOVE those jackets. I have my grandmother's varsity letter that she received when she was a cheerleader ('49) and it looks exactly like the big D on the jackets. Anybody know if/how to get one??? Haven't been to the Duke store in a while...

Troublemaker
10-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I like it. "Old School". That sums up Duke Nation's hopes for this team perfect, that it will play like a vintage, old-school Duke team.

tchawk
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
My favorite team poster would have to be the 90-91 "Young Guns" poster (themed after the Young Gun movie). Then after they won their 1st National Championship later that year, they released an updated version called "Young Champs" with "Guns" slashed out. Pretty cool poster with Grant, Hurley, and Laettner!

cspan37421
10-31-2007, 09:12 PM
The one from 1985-6, taken in Gross Chem, was titled "Formula for Success" and the schedule was laid out in the form of the periodic table of the elements, with opponents known by two-letter combos like Wf for Wake Forest. My sentimental favorite and of the ones I know (the 4 from my year and a smattering of others), easily the cleverest of all. just my biased opinion.

ugadevil
11-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I liked the one, "Lights, Cameron, Action". I think it was Duhon's senior year? My favorite part about that poster is the fact that Nick Horvath looks like a defensive lineman in the poster.

Highlander
11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Whats the best way to get a hold of some of those classic posters? now those were old school

I dunno. However, it would be a fun project to try and put together an online directory of previous year's team posters. I know I have quite a few old ones in a tube somewhere I could photograph, but have neither the time or energy to organize them.

Anyone care to take up the torch?

Grey Devil
11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I really like this year's team picture/poster.

But then I'm old school.

I like it because it was taken in one of the old reading rooms at Perkins, where I spent a lot of time. Of course, I also like it because I happen to have earned one of those jackets when I was at Duke. In fact, I must admit that I was a tiny bit irked seeing the frosh wearing a jacket already, even though I knew they would be getting one in due time. In my mind they needed to earn it first. It took me two years of varsity competition to get a jacket then. Anybody know if it's still the same now?

Highlander
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
07-08 Men's basketball poster.

If you want to see an example of a truly horrific basketball poster, see the UNC poster attached. Think the movie "300".

It's pretty funny. Not Kris Lang laying out on the folding chairs funny, but pretty funny. Of course, funny isn't really what they were going for...

throatybeard
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
If you want to see an example of a truly horrific basketball poster, see the UNC poster attached. Think the movie "300".

It's pretty funny. Not Kris Lang laying out on the folding chairs funny, but pretty funny. Of course, funny isn't really what they were going for...

Oh. My. God. So many questions.

1) Why did they deflate the basketballs?
2) How did they deflate the basketballs?
3) Was someone using the players in a giant game of ring toss?
4) WTH are they doing with the weights?

Troublemaker
11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh. My. God. So many questions.

1) Why did they deflate the basketballs?
2) How did they deflate the basketballs?
3) Was someone using the players in a giant game of ring toss?
4) WTH are they doing with the weights?

1) The players that can't palm the ball needed the basketball to be deflated so they could hold the shield in their other hand.

TillyGalore
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
1) The players that can't palm the ball needed the basketball to be deflated so they could hold the shield in their other hand.

Tyler Hanswhatever is the only one holding an inflated ball, and he's not even palming it. Is that, him being the only Tar Hole holding an inflated ball, supposed to mean something? If so, what? Or am I thinking to much on this one?

Grey Devil
11-01-2007, 10:18 PM
What kind of slogan is that? Especially when it looks like all they've taken are a bunch of manhole covers?!

And are they supposed to be angry? (Guess I would be, too, if I worked my tail off and all I got were a bunch of flat basketballs, broken off hoops and manhole covers....) I just about laughed out loud at some of their expressions.

Grey Devil

Indoor66
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
What kind of slogan is that? Especially when it looks like all they've taken are a bunch of manhole covers?!

And are they supposed to be angry? (Guess I would be, too, if I worked my tail off and all I got were a bunch of flat basketballs, broken off hoops and manhole covers....) I just about laughed out loud at some of their expressions.

Grey Devil

I guess they they are demonstrating that they have 'tude.

hurleyfor3
11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Tyler Hanswhatever is the only one holding an inflated ball, and he's not even palming it. Is that, him being the only Tar Hole holding an inflated ball, supposed to mean something? If so, what? Or am I thinking to much on this one?

UNC Basketball '08. Prepare to have your expectations deflated.

TillyGalore
11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
UNC Basketball '08. Prepare to have your expectations deflated.

POTD!!! I love it.

graybead
11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
However, it would be a fun project to try and put together an online directory of previous year's team posters. I know I have quite a few old ones in a tube somewhere I could photograph, but have neither the time or energy to organize them.

Anyone care to take up the torch?

I have begun putting up some of my Duke memorabilia onto Photobucket. I decided to photograph the posters that I have and I put them up this morning. It's kind of tough to get good photos due to glare and angles, but I did the best I could. Check them out at http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/dukeroom/Posters/

I also have a lot of yearbooks, magazines and sports cards at http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/dukeroom/

Eventually, i plan to have all of this linked from my website at http://www.dukeroom.com

If you have any of the missing posters, send me a photo and I'll add them. I have all of them from 1990 except for 94-95, 95-96, and 2002-03.

Taco
11-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Holy crap that's terrible

TillyGalore
11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
If you have any of the missing posters, send me a photo and I'll add them. I have all of them from 1990 except for 94-95, 95-96, and 2002-03.

I recently picked up a "Chronicles of Redick" poster. Will try to take a decent picture of it to send you for your collection off JJ posters. I <3 JJ. :D

EarlJam
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM

He looks like her. I swear he does. He has to be her little brother - or son.

-EarlJam

FreezingDevil
11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Holy crap that's terrible

Question: why are they holding hoola hoops? I can somewhat understand the shields and daggers, but hoola hoops???

Seriously, I hope this is a sign of things to come...

EarlJam
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Question: why are they holding hoola hoops? I can somewhat understand the shields and daggers, but hoola hoops???

Seriously, I hope this is a sign of things to come...

And are those shields they are holding? Or are they hubcaps stolen from Roy Williams' SUV?

-EarlJam

BluePlanet28
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Our new Duke Basketball website (dukeblueplanet.com) will have a feature on the posters and you will be able to see all of them from years past. Hopefully at some point we can work on getting the older ones up for sale at a fair price for our fans. All of them from the Coach K era hang in our team offices and they bring back awesome memories. Mrs. K has been involved in the production of every poster following the 1980-81 season and she has been the driving force behind their creativity and unique themes.

Dave Bradley
Recruiting & Communications Coordinator
Duke Basketball

ArnieMc
11-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Team photos used to be available on line every year. I have always used them as wallpaper. Will the new team photo be available on your site.

BluePlanet28
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
We will have tons of photos on there including the team photo (but maybe not in the size that is conducive for wallpaper). However, we also hope to have a few wallpaper options up in the next month that fans can download -- The team photo or the team poster would most likely be an option for that.