PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie schooling his team buds...

weezie
02-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Please somebody tell me he's kidding,

Start at 15:20

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/road-trip-170217

uh_no
02-17-2017, 08:24 PM

apparently didn't take rocks for jocks in spring semester? embarrassing for the university.

Troublemaker
02-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Okay, I guess I'm a weirdo. While I believe the world is round, I basically share none of the below reactions to Kyrie believing that it is flat. I think it's fine and not embarrassing even if he's serious, and I hope he eventually runs into someone like me who would not make fun of him or be dismissive of him and would civilly argue with him in point-counterpoint style until I hopefully can convince him that the world is round.

Kyrie Irving probably should have stayed at Duke longer:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/02/17/cavaliers-kyrie-irving-flat-earth

Dear God. I hope this turns out to be a joke.

Oh dear. That is really, really unfortunate.

I checked out the source Reddit thread, and apparently later in the podcast he acknowledges that the Earth is round, but likes to believe in conspiracy theories like the flat Earth, just so he's not blindly believing everything he hears. Not exactly encouraging. I couldn't be more dismayed at this news.

Oh man. You're right. That isn't exactly encouraging. I'm all for being skeptical of conventional wisdom, but I'm also a fan of the scientific process (which i admit is only as objective as the humans who follow it, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak). You'd think a guy who has such an excellent grasp of gravity as it pertains to basketball would be a little more understanding of how it works on larger scales.

apparently didn't take rocks for jocks in spring semester? embarrassing for the university.

Kdogg
02-17-2017, 08:34 PM
I hope it's a joke. If not he's been hangout with B.o.B and Tila Tequilla too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBZkek8OSU

Wander
02-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Okay, I guess I'm a weirdo. While I believe the world is round, I basically share none of the below reactions to Kyrie believing that it is flat. I think it's fine and not embarrassing even if it's not a joke, and I hope he eventually runs into someone like me who would not make fun of him or be dismissive of him and would civilly argue with him in point-counterpoint style until I hopefully can convince him that the world is round.

I really do appreciate the sentiment. There are plenty of issues out there - climate change, GMOs, whatever - that despite science being abundantly clear, have been poorly reported on enough in society such that intelligent, well-meaning people believe incorrect interpretations about. It's really worth having point-counterpoint conversations with people about these things.

The Earth being flat and the existence of planets aren't two of these issues. We shouldn't normalize these insane thoughts by having point-counterpoint debates on public forums. In private, if you know Kyrie, sure. But on a message board, humor is a pretty appropriate response, as well as disappointment on a Duke message board.

Troublemaker
02-17-2017, 09:13 PM
I really do appreciate the sentiment. There are plenty of issues out there - climate change, GMOs, whatever - that despite science being abundantly clear, have been poorly reported on enough in society such that intelligent, well-meaning people believe incorrect interpretations about. It's really worth having point-counterpoint conversations with people about these things.

The Earth being flat and the existence of planets aren't two of these issues. We shouldn't normalize these insane thoughts by having point-counterpoint debates on public forums. In private, if you know Kyrie, sure. But on a message board, humor is a pretty appropriate response, as well as disappointment on a Duke message board.

Well, let's first de-conflate a couple of things, which was my bad for conflating in the first place. Y'all can make fun of him or express disappointment all you want on a message board. I'm just saying that's not my reaction. But as far as real life interaction, I would guess no one has actually taken him seriously enough to debate him on the merits, which is unfortunate. Give me half an hour with Kyrie, and I think I can turn him into a round-earther. The flat-earthers have a pretty predictable list of common arguments, and you just have to know what they're going to say and be prepared to counter effectively/convincingly. (And incidentally, if one has never debated a flat-earther, they actually could catch you off guard. Some preparation would be needed.)

duke74
02-17-2017, 09:22 PM

Be nice here...from a marine geology major (basement of the Art Museum at the time). (Saw the light, however, and became a CPA) :)

Hingeknocker
02-17-2017, 10:15 PM
There is absolutely nothing fine about this. The Earth being round is not a belief. It's like saying you believe 2 + 2 = 4, or that the sun rises in the west.

We've got enough problems these days with Duke alums or former students making the news for the wrong reasons. I could not be more disappointed with Kyrie's statements.

I'm hoping this turns out to be a bad joke.

miramar
02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Maybe his rehab schedule prevented him from going to class.

duke4ever19
02-18-2017, 12:12 AM
Hey, the great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got duped into believing in fairies.

My mother and grandmother are also flat earth advocates. Their particular brand of flat-earthism is derived from a quirky literalist reading of the Bible combined with a few other things.

There isn't any convincing them. I gave that up long ago. Besides my Grandmother has the most charming Charleston accent and you can't argue with someone that speaks that beautifully.

moonpie23
02-18-2017, 12:19 AM
superstitions affect many people.

The Gordog
02-18-2017, 12:23 AM

That dude is pretty much dead to me. Unless it turns out to be a bad joke.

BandAlum83
02-18-2017, 12:55 AM
Quite the week when I learn that Kyrie believes the earth is flat and that Stephen Miller and I share the same degree and major.

DukeFanSince1990
02-18-2017, 01:18 AM
If its a joke and it got this much of a rise out of people.........its a GREAT joke.

madscavenger
02-18-2017, 04:50 AM

Sorry, Wander. Art is exact. It is what it is. Science however, by definition, is approximate. These issues, e.g. man made climate change, reflect assumed models. A model consists of an assumption and a small number of rules. Change the assumption (or a rule or two) and all those abundantly clear beliefs are no longer abundantly clear. Things change over time. Has the Earth's atmosphere, flora and fauna, orbit, etc always been the same? Has technology altered how something is measured? Has the universe never experienced disruption? There are assumptions imbedded in everything science, akin to a conclusion at least partially already baked in the cake.. Citing contentions like "flat earth" as evidence constituting sufficient grounds to reject what you call incorrect interpretations undermines your sincerity with regard to advocating point-counterpoint conversations. Calling a person insane not only reflects incivility on your part, but also knee-jerk adherence to todays colorfast view of the world.

Nothing personal, Wander. Existence is more complex than we can ever know. What is called settled science is much a creature of agreed upon truth, limited to our senses and sensors, merely a snapshot in the grand scheme of things.

i hope you give my comments a little thought. The process itself is beneficial.........mad

BLPOG
02-18-2017, 07:15 AM
You guys are taking this thing way too seriously. There have been a number of celebrities who have said the world is flat before. It gets a huge reaction out of people. It's an epic and hilarious troll job.

The hand-wringing in this thread, on the other hand, is more than a little embarrassing.

dukelifer
02-18-2017, 07:19 AM
I think this explains his ridiculous handle- he is operating in a world with different physics.

slower
02-18-2017, 07:45 AM
There is absolutely nothing fine about this. The Earth being round is not a belief. It's like saying you believe 2 + 2 = 4, or that the sun rises in the west..

Yes, I personally enjoy heading to the Outer Banks, sitting on the beach, and feeling the warmth as the sun rises behind me. In the west.

Hingeknocker
02-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Yes, I personally enjoy heading to the Outer Banks, sitting on the beach, and feeling the warmth as the sun rises behind me. In the west.

Whoops! Clearly I was so flustered, I couldn't even get the simplest example right.

I'd hope Kyrie can learn from me. Make a mistake, admit you were wrong, make sure it never happens again.

Troublemaker
02-18-2017, 08:29 AM
If its a joke and it got this much of a rise out of people...its a GREAT joke.

There have been a number of celebrities who have said the world is flat before. It gets a huge reaction out of people. It's an epic and hilarious troll job.

Yeah, I agree. There's no bad joke here. The options are either a good troll or a sincere belief.

moonpie23
02-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Joke or troll or not. This story has legs.

this could really blow up in this young man's promising future. :(

Troublemaker
02-18-2017, 08:46 AM

How?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2017, 08:46 AM

He can ball - that's all that NBA players and coaches will care about.

But yeah, bad optics.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Dari and Mel having fun with it this morning

weezie
02-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Sheesh, not for a second did I think that posting this would result in anything other than a few chuckles. But as I've heard, "No one expects The Spanish Inquisition!"

dukebluesincebirth
02-18-2017, 09:37 AM
The reaction seems a bit exaggerated here. I listened, and I just heard someone saying it's a good habit to question things. He's in a process of training himself to not just accept everything at face value. His example is extreme, but he's only making a point.

NM Duke Fan
02-18-2017, 09:48 AM
We certainly live in "interesting times," as the old Chinese phrase (or curse) goes ...

I personally know quite well someone with advanced education and who is quite well read, who now believes in the flat earth model! I don't bother to engage in an argument ...

Wander
02-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Sorry, Wander. Art is exact. It is what it is. Science however, by definition, is approximate. These issues, e.g. man made climate change, reflect assumed models. A model consists of an assumption and a small number of rules. Change the assumption (or a rule or two) and all those abundantly clear beliefs are no longer abundantly clear. Things change over time. Has the Earth's atmosphere, flora and fauna, orbit, etc always been the same? Has technology altered how something is measured? Has the universe never experienced disruption? There are assumptions imbedded in everything science, akin to a conclusion at least partially already baked in the cake.. Citing contentions like "flat earth" as evidence constituting sufficient grounds to reject what you call incorrect interpretations undermines your sincerity with regard to advocating point-counterpoint conversations. Calling a person insane not only reflects incivility on your part, but also knee-jerk adherence to todays colorfast view of the world.

Nothing personal, Wander. Existence is more complex than we can ever know. What is called settled science is much a creature of agreed upon truth, limited to our senses and sensors, merely a snapshot in the grand scheme of things.

i hope you give my comments a little thought. The process itself is beneficial.....mad

As a scientist who works on very similar subjects, you've gotten quite a few things wrong here, both on the specifics (e.g., do you think that we haven't extremely carefully considered things like changing orbits? There are entire subfields related to that subject) and the more general points (the idea that changing assumptions always alters the results). This is off topic at this point, so I'll quit there. You're welcome to PM me for more.

Is there absolutely no belief whatsoever that we shouldn't say "that's insane?" We have to give serious weight to the idea that the Earth is flat or that Coach K faked health problems to get losses off his record? I don't buy into that degree of "Oh, everyone has a point" relativism. If this was a Carolina player, we'd have 20 pages mocking UNC by now.

lotusland
02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
I appreciate Kyrie exposing the round-earthers for the snake oil salesmen they are. I NEVER sail anywhere near the horizon!

OldPhiKap
02-18-2017, 11:33 AM

jv001
02-18-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm with the crowd that thinks Kyrie is just trying to get a rise out of some people. It's evident that Kyrie doesn't take himself too seriously. I've had people tell me that the landing on the moon really didn't happen. It was just created on some movie set. Those people were trying to get a rise out of me and I didn't fall for it. One of my high school classmates said if you are in an elevator and it begins to fall, if you jump up just before it crashes you will not be harmed. I still don't know if that guy was joking or not joking. He was one of our best students, so I presume he was joking. I'll still cheer for Kyrie. GoDuke!

Indoor66
02-18-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm with the crowd that thinks Kyrie is just trying to get a rise out of some people. It's evident that Kyrie doesn't take himself too seriously. I've had people tell me that the landing on the moon really didn't happen. It was just created on some movie set. Those people were trying to get a rise out of me and I didn't fall for it. One of my high school classmates said if you are in an elevator and it begins to fall, if you jump up just before it crashes you will not be harmed. I still don't know if that guy was joking or not joking. He was one of our best students, so I presume he was joking. I'll still cheer for Kyrie. GoDuke!

Maybe Uncle Drew got to him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2017, 12:35 PM
One of my high school classmates said if you are in an elevator and it begins to fall, if you jump up just before it crashes you will not be harmed. I still don't know if that guy was joking or not joking.

Have you disproven this hypothesis? I myself haven't had the opportunity, thank goodness, but will stash the idea away and hope I remember to try it in case it works in a pinch.

Isn't Kyrie's dad from Australia? I would be inclined to ask him about The Land Down Under...

duke4ever19
02-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Besides addressing the "physics" involved in such a question, there are the practical, common sense question's that arise.

In a typical elevator, there are multiple cables (four-to-six and even more) capable of holding the elevator aloft on its own. The chances are slim that all would break at once. Also, from what I've read only once has their been a reported free-falling elevator as a result of a snapped cable and that was in the 1940s. There was one occupant and she survived the 75-foot drop.

Also, the typical office or apartment elevator has no windows (or at least not floor-to-ceiling glass panes), so in most situations, you would be robbed of any frame of reference in timing the jump at just the right time. This is all assuming that timing a jump even theoretically works.

BigZ
02-18-2017, 02:36 PM
This is one reason I don't listen to athletes on the political or social issues of the day. Most of them aren't very intelligent

InSpades
02-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Besides addressing the "physics" involved in such a question, there are the practical, common sense question's that arise.

In a typical elevator, there are multiple cables (four-to-six and even more) capable of holding the elevator aloft on its own. The chances are slim that all would break at once. Also, from what I've read only once has their been a reported free-falling elevator as a result of a snapped cable and that was in the 1940s. There was one occupant and she survived the 75-foot drop.

Also, the typical office or apartment elevator has no windows (or at least not floor-to-ceiling glass panes), so in most situations, you would be robbed of any frame of reference in timing the jump at just the right time. This is all assuming that timing a jump even theoretically works.

You are better off lying flat on the ground so as to spread the resulting force across the greatest amount of surface area. Of course if you are in a true free fall you would probably have to push yourself down to the ground.

subzero02
02-18-2017, 03:20 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18710759/kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-believes-earth-flat

I think it's a ploy by Kyrie to get a free ride into space funded by spaceX.

dukelifer
02-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Only if he falls off the ends of the earth.

Doria
02-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Haha, you guys are nuts! I just checked back into this thread, and I see you're discussing falling-elevator strategies!

weezie
02-18-2017, 03:41 PM
....Of course if you are in a true free fall you would probably have to push yourself down to the ground.

But it's not the fall that hurts. It's the sudden stop at the bottom.

uh_no
02-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Haha, you guys are nuts! I just checked back into this thread, and I see you're discussing falling-elevator strategies!

don't get us started on airplanes and treadmills

OldPhiKap
02-18-2017, 05:28 PM
The elevators in my office fall up because of counterweights; the hydraulics push the elevator down.

Just so you know if you visit.

rthomas
02-18-2017, 06:08 PM
I think Kyrie is trying to make the playing field more equal between Duke education and UNC education. lol.

Son of Jarhead
02-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Me thinks Uncle Drew is just messing with all the young fellas. I fully expect a new Pepsi Max commercial with the old guys sitting around talking about the court being flat and the ball being round or some such.:cool:

subzero02
02-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Me thinks Uncle Drew is just messing with all the young fellas. I fully expect a new Pepsi Max commercial with the old guys sitting around talking about the court being flat and the ball being round or some such.:cool:

Best case scenario...

Ewe
02-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Sorry, Wander. Art is exact. It is what it is. Science however, by definition, is approximate. These issues, e.g. man made climate change, reflect assumed models. A model consists of an assumption and a small number of rules. Change the assumption (or a rule or two) and all those abundantly clear beliefs are no longer abundantly clear. . .

i hope you give my comments a little thought. The process itself is beneficial.....mad

Amen to that. Spoken by a former member of the Duke faculty, and yes, in hard sciences.

Anyone capable of uttering the phrase "settled science" has absolutely no clue what science is., and no idea how to critically evaluate scientific evidence.

Wander
02-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Amen to that. Spoken by a former member of the Duke faculty, and yes, in hard sciences.

Anyone capable of uttering the phrase "settled science" has absolutely no clue what science is., and no idea how to critically evaluate scientific evidence.

Nice insults, especially in your 2nd ever post on DBR. But a scientific philosophy that doesn't allow statements like "The Earth is not flat" to be considered "settled" is a lame (and borderline useless) scientific philosophy.

Even if Kyrie is trolling, which I very much doubt, it's still embarrassing. He doesn't have a degree, which minimizes that embarrassment for Duke, but he's still one of the faces of our university.

DukieInKansas
02-18-2017, 09:20 PM
But it's not the fall that hurts. It's the sudden stop at the bottom.

Those darn landings are tricky.

subzero02
02-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Nice insults, especially in your 2nd ever post on DBR. But a scientific philosophy that doesn't allow statements like "The Earth is not flat" to be considered "settled" is a lame (and borderline useless) scientific philosophy.

Even if Kyrie is trolling, which I very much doubt, it's still embarrassing. He doesn't have a degree, which minimizes that embarrassment for Duke, but he's still one of the faces of our university.

htttp://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18710759/kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-believes-earth-flat

He was making a point about some of the ridiculous stories the media covers... he was also trying to generate conversation and have people do their own research. I am sure we will hear more about it tomorrow.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-18-2017, 09:47 PM
The truth is Kyrie's world is flat, and 94 feet long. :)

porkpa
02-19-2017, 06:34 AM
So Kyrie, The earth is flat. You were born in Australia. You migrated to North America. You've been in Europe and undoubtedly other places. In your many journeys why haven't you fallen off the flat surface?

Indoor66
02-19-2017, 07:27 AM
The truth is Kyrie's world is flat, and 94 feet long. :)

...And he sees Bilas walking up and down a lot.

CDu
02-19-2017, 09:02 AM
htttp://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18710759/kyrie-irving-cleveland-cavaliers-believes-earth-flat

He was making a point about some of the ridiculous stories the media covers... he was also trying to generate conversation and have people do their own research. I am sure we will hear more about it tomorrow.

In other words, he was trying to sound smart and enlightened, but instead used a really poor example and showed his ignorance.

budwom
02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm afraid that Kyrie's "clarification" yesterday did nothing to make his position more understandable....but no, he clearly wasn't kidding with his
original comments. Hardly anything to worry about though....(I'm thinking any post hoops career with NASA is in serious jeopardy, however).

rsvman
02-19-2017, 09:49 AM
He's still a pretty good shooter, so I guess he at least intuitively has some understanding of Newtonian physics.:cool:

(The 3-point shoot-out went to a tiebreaker and he ended up second to Eric Gordon, but it was a pretty impressive performance.)

PackMan97
02-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Don't worry, this flat earth thing, hansboroughs inability to read children's books...there will always be shackleford and amphibious.

That said, I always find it funny how wrong public perception was about science at the time of Christopher Columbus. Science had the size of time earth right to what amounts to a rounding error. They did it think the earth was flat. Columbus was the one arguing bad science. He argued the earth was smaller no that it was not as far to India and that his expedition could make it. He was wrong of course and only the unknown Americas saved his bacon.

moonpie23
02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
it sounds like he was in some very articulate convos at 4:20..........you can actually prove conspiracies that way.

FadedTackyShirt
02-19-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm afraid that Kyrie's "clarification" yesterday did nothing to make his position more understandable...but no, he clearly wasn't kidding with his
original comments. Hardly anything to worry about though...(I'm thinking any post hoops career with NASA is in serious jeopardy, however).

Hidden Figures women (4 year players who earned degrees) > Uncle Drew

Atlanta Duke
02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
This from Commissioner Silver :)

“Kyrie and I went to the same college,” Silver said, drawing laughs. “He may have taken some different courses than I did."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/02/18/adam-silver-sides-with-science-says-earth-is-in-fact-round/?utm_term=.e76c75d2a098

downeastdad
02-19-2017, 11:48 AM
I thought this took a lot of stones for a UNC student to comment on Duke athletes' education:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693709-north-carolina-fans-sign-mocks-duke-for-kyrie-irvings-flat-earth-remarks

Blue KevIL
02-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Well, the Cavaliers had a player in the 80's named World B. Free.

Now, they have World B. Flat

weezie
02-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Well, the Cavaliers had a player in the 80's named World B. Free.

Now, they have World B. Flat

NICE!!!

duke4ever19
02-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Apparently Draymond Green thinks there's something to this 'flat-earth' theory too. :D

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/02/18/draymond-green-kyrie-irving-flat-earth

Someone should ask them what they think scientists have to gain from lying to people about the shape of the earth. Like I said, I know a few flat-earthers (my mother and grandmother), but their explanations stem from a bizarre interpretation of certain religious texts. I highly doubt Draymond and Kyrie share that same reasoning.

g-money
02-19-2017, 07:22 PM
One would think that Kyrie would've encountered more than a few of these flight routes growing up:

The more I think about this, the more bizarre it feels. It's gotta be a prank, right?

Edit: porkpa beat me to this seemingly relevant fact upthread...

KenTankerous
02-19-2017, 07:41 PM
I LOVE every bit of this out of Kyrie!

It's obvious that in a post-racial America with duly elected President Donald Trump, SNL being quoted by on-line news sources, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Jon Stewart being asked to run in 2020, Scott Pruitt leading the EPA, and pink yarn being sold out everywhere except Hobby Lobby, the world is flat!

OR

Get out of echo chambers, turn off the talking heads, stop getting "facts" from retweets and read a peer-reviewed paper, and three sides of the story before making world altering decisions.

Sorry to come in hot with the political flashpoints but it has gotten beyond ridiculous to the point that there is no middle. Power to the Purple!

CDu
02-19-2017, 07:44 PM
I LOVE every bit of this out of Kyrie!

It's obvious that in a post-racial America with duly elected President Donald Trump, SNL being quoted by on-line news sources, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Jon Stewart being asked to run in 2020, Scott Pruitt leading the EPA, and pink yarn being sold out everywhere except Hobby Lobby, the world is flat!

OR

Get out of echo chambers, turn off the talking heads, stop getting "facts" from retweets and read a peer-reviewed paper, and three sides of the story before making world altering decisions.

Sorry to come in hot with the political flashpoints but it has gotten beyond ridiculous to the point that there is no middle. Power to the Purple!

Not sure I see the connection.

mgtr
02-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Assume that Kyrie really believes that the earth is flat. How does that change his life? How does that change my life or your life? Other than bad press for Kyrie, how is anyone's life changed? It isn't.

OZ
02-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Not sure I see the connection.

The world being flat is an "alternative" fact; which, evidently is now acceptable to some folks. Not unlike the conclusions by the powers-that-be concerning the uncheats cheating scandal - it never happened!

Wander
02-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Assume that Kyrie really believes that the earth is flat. How does that change his life? How does that change my life or your life? Other than bad press for Kyrie, how is anyone's life changed? It isn't.

People literally die because of things like this. When I say things like this, I don't mean this issue specifically, but I see Kyrie's comments as analogous to, if not exactly the same as, the "arguments" people make about vaccines causing autism. If Kyrie gets some kids believing in this nonsense, I would bet they are more likely to believe other nonsense which does have a more direct effect on people's lives. Vaccines aren't the only issue like this, but it's an easy example (that I hope won't be too controversial on DBR).

More selfishly (since you asked), as a space guy, my funding sources are a little bit more likely to dry up if the American public stops starts thinking that planets don't even exist, which Kyrie also essentially claimed.

jv001
02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
People literally die because of things like this. When I say things like this, I don't mean this issue specifically, but I see Kyrie's comments as analogous to, if not exactly the same as, the "arguments" people make about vaccines causing autism. If Kyrie gets some kids believing in this nonsense, I would bet they are more likely to believe other nonsense. Vaccines aren't the only issue like this, but it's an easy example (that I hope won't be too controversial on DBR).

More selfishly (since you asked), as a space guy, my funding sources are a little bit more likely to dry up if the American public stops starts thinking that planets don't even exist, which Kyrie also essentially claimed.

I'm concerned more about kids hearing music with vulgar language than what Kyrie said about the world being flat. I hope he's kidding but if not, I'm not losing one minutes sleep over it. GoDuke!

Troublemaker
02-19-2017, 08:01 PM

You're right, of course (but beware of incoming half-hearted "slippery slope" arguments). That's why I'm amused by the overreactions. To the point where I'm wondering whether **I'm** being trolled. Like, is Gordog serious below?

That dude is pretty much dead to me. Unless it turns out to be a bad joke.

I can confidently say Kyrie is not dead to me, whether he believes we reside on a sphere or not. I would prefer that he does, but my opinion of him hasn't budged.

I can actually understand folks getting worked up over the vaccination debate because that has real health implications. But flat-earth believers? Meh.

mgtr
02-19-2017, 08:04 PM
OK, good argument. I agree that people believe crazy things which can hurt all of us, the best of which you cite. Here is the problem: How do you get parents to believe education is important? As a retired college prof, I think that is the critical question.

Kfanarmy
02-19-2017, 08:21 PM
People literally die because of things like this...

Afraid they'll test his theory and end up falling off? 😃

DukieInKansas
02-19-2017, 08:27 PM
For the teachers on the thread: I have learned something from this. I did not know that there was such a thing as the Flat Earth Society. You do learn something new every day.

duke4ever19
02-19-2017, 08:28 PM

If I were Kyrie, I'd be more scared of the sea monsters that eat ships whole.

Falling off the earth ain't nothin' compared to being gored by a sea pig.

uh_no
02-19-2017, 09:44 PM

so why do any of us follow sports at all?

OZ
02-19-2017, 10:16 PM

I can only speak for myself, but attending games at Wallace Wade/Cameron provides me with a controlled and safe place to yell, scream, boo, curse, blame, second guess, cheer, praise, coach, experience both disappointment and joy, spend time with friends and vicariously relive the old days. All of that keeps me from having to go to a psychiatrist - and it is a lot cheaper. That's why I follow sports!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-19-2017, 10:59 PM

As my (Tar Heel) neighbor once said... sports are great, because they let us care a lot about something that doesn't mean anything.

InSpades
02-20-2017, 12:57 AM
One would think that Kyrie would've encountered more than a few of these flight routes growing up:

The more I think about this, the more bizarre it feels. It's gotta be a prank, right?

Edit: porkpa beat me to this seemingly relevant fact upthread...

I bet we got those "maps" from the same people that told us the earth is round... don't believe everything you are told!

WWBD
02-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Kyrie is rich enough to take one of those Virgin Galactic sub-orbital flights and see for himself. This is truly one of the most alarming and disappointing alumni turns in a while.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-20-2017, 07:10 AM
I know what's going on here. He's agreed to be a source of distraction for Duke haters so that K can get this year's team fully focused on the final stretch run. That has to be it.

arnie
02-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Kyrie is rich enough to take one of those Virgin Galactic sub-orbital flights and see for himself. This is truly one of the most alarming and disappointing alumni turns in a while.

What?? Researchers/scientists at Duke have reported fraudulent results in high profile experiments, business execs have been fired for corruption (every school has this issue), IRS top dog may have been involved in a serious scandal (hard to know who did what to whom) and Jay Bilas essentially defends UNC's methods of depriving minority athletes' opportunity to take real classes.

Kyrie was at Duke two semesters and I doubt he took any real science or astronomy courses. He was at Duke to play BBall and not flunk out after 1st semester. His thoughts on curvature of the earth are not related to his field of expertise and I'm not so sure he's serious.

moonpie23
02-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Kyrie is rich enough to take one of those Virgin Galactic sub-orbital flights and see for himself. .

he could come back and report his findings to his buddies in the FES...OR...

he could send ME, and i would let him know what was up......yeah....that's the ticket...

Indoor66
02-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Couldn't Spork you, but I love your response!😎

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
he could come back and report his findings to his buddies in the FES...OR...

he could send ME, and i would let him know what was up...yeah...that's the ticket...

Well, your username suggests you are an expert...

Duke79UNLV77
02-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Kyrie played the world in an Andy Kaufman sort of way.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/02/kyrie_irving_admits_science_su.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Kyrie played the world in an Andy Kaufman sort of way.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/02/kyrie_irving_admits_science_su.html

At worst, very good damage control. At best, interesting social experiment.

I suspect that's the end of this story.

Troublemaker
02-20-2017, 09:52 AM
This is truly one of the most alarming and disappointing alumni turns in a while.

Nah.

People who conduct surveys like to say "You can't get 100 people to agree that the sky is blue" or some variant.

The same thing holds here. You're not going to get all ~8 billion people on Earth to agree that Earth is a sphere. Or being, USA-centric about it, you're not going to get all ~320 million to believe it. Or being Duke-centric, you're not going every single one of hundreds of thousands of alumni to believe it. It's just statistically impossible, essentially.

So when you do come across someone who believes the Earth is flat, the proper response is perhaps: "Oh, cool. I've just come across an outlier that statistical probability says exist. It's like I won the lottery! Whooo!"

See, from that perspective, it's actually ANTI-Math&Science to be alarmed or to get worked up about finding out that someone is a flat-earther. You're fighting probability.

In the end, it looks like Kyrie was just trolling anyway. I'm glad that he wasn't able to troll **me** because I had my PRO-Math&Science perspective on how to handle finding out that an alumnus is a flat-eather.

Wander
02-20-2017, 09:57 AM
At worst, very good damage control. At best, interesting social experiment.

I suspect that's the end of this story.

Yeah, it sounds to me just like damage control.

Even if not, it's an idiotic experiment. It's like that episode of HIMYM where Barney tries to make a point that his friends don't trust his stripper girlfriend by faking a situation where they genuinely shouldn't and then calling them out on it. Lamest "gotcha" moment ever.

Duke79UNLV77
02-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah, it sounds to me just like damage control.

Even if not, it's an idiotic experiment. It's like that episode of HIMYM where Barney tries to make a point that his friends don't trust his stripper girlfriend by faking a situation where they genuinely shouldn't and then calling them out on it. Lamest "gotcha" moment ever.

Sounds like just damage control or an idiotic experiment if you assume the worst and don't give the benefit of the doubt. Kyrie has proven himself for years in interviews to be very thoughtful and articulate. He also has been literally around the world between being born in Australia, playing internationally, and I'm sure personal travels. He also has a perspective on current political and fake news events. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

sagegrouse
02-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Sounds like just damage control or an idiotic experiment if you assume the worst and don't give the benefit of the doubt. Kyrie has proven himself for years in interviews to be very thoughtful and articulate. He also has been literally around the world between being born in Australia, playing internationally, and I'm sure personal travels. He also has a perspective on current political and fake news events. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Sounds like a riff on "alternative facts." But I still think he is angling for a free space ride from Richard Branson.

BandAlum83
02-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Nah.

People who conduct surveys like to say "You can't get 100 people to agree that the sky is blue" or some variant.

The same thing holds here. You're not going to get all ~8 billion people on Earth to agree that Earth is a sphere. Or being, USA-centric about it, you're not going to get all ~320 million to believe it. Or being Duke-centric, you're not going every single one of hundreds of thousands of alumni to believe it. It's just statistically impossible, essentially.

So when you do come across someone who believes the Earth is flat, the proper response is perhaps: "Oh, cool. I've just come across an outlier that statistical probability says exist. It's like I won the lottery! Whooo!"

See, from that perspective, it's actually ANTI-Math&Science to be alarmed or to get worked up about finding out that someone is a flat-earther. You're fighting probability.

In the end, it looks like Kyrie was just trolling anyway. I'm glad that he wasn't able to troll **me** because I had my PRO-Math&Science perspective on how to handle finding out that an alumnus is a flat-eather.

I want to spork you for this! (but I can't)

Wander
02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Kyrie has proven himself for years in interviews to be very thoughtful and articulate.

"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

rsvman
02-20-2017, 12:37 PM
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Perhaps, but they're wrong in a more pleasing way.

kAzE
02-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Every part of me wants to believe that this is a satirical political statement, in response to the President's recent statements that have ignored undeniable facts (electoral college margins, for example). It would really difficult for me to buy this at face value, because he's been known to troll people in a sarcastic manner. Kyrie is really smart, so it this is just a really bizzare story, even if it is meant as a political statement. I'm guessing he probably never thought it would blow up like this.

DukeFanSince1990
02-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Nah.

My best friend is an Economist. You sound like an Economist. Are you an Economist?

howardlander
02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a riff on "alternative facts." But I still think he is angling for a free space ride from Richard Branson.

Yeah, that's what I think too. It's an alternative fact and who can argue with those?

Howard

weezie
02-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Granted, I am easily distracted by shiny objects and balloons, but I have officially lost my train of understanding now.

Not that the loss loomed as a tragic one going into this...

NSDukeFan
02-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Nah.

...Or get everyone on DBR to agree on a MOTM?

jv001
02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
I can't believe we're up to 6 pages and counting on this subject/thread. This thread might catch the John Wall recruiting one before all is said and done. GoDuke!

Kfanarmy
02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
And now we have precisely the metaphysical dialogue that our fellow thinker Kyrie was intending to spur (by some lines of thought).

Point, Irving.

I sincerely doubt KI was trying to spur thought...

Kfanarmy
02-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Every part of me wants to believe that this is a satirical political statement, in response to the President's recent statements that have ignored undeniable facts (electoral college margins, for example). It would really difficult for me to buy this at face value, because he's been known to troll people in a sarcastic manner. Kyrie is really smart, so it this is just a really bizzare story, even if it is meant as a political statement. I'm guessing he probably never thought it would blow up like this.

Goodness, how far can one go to hypothesize KI having a grand intent here? A political statement without a hint of one. Oh so subtle. It was completely lost on everyone else?

IrishDevil
02-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Granted, I am easily distracted by shiny objects and balloons, but I have officially lost my train of understanding now.

Not that the loss loomed as a tragic one going into this...

Agreed. That post about feldenkrais must be around here somewhere...

gep
02-20-2017, 07:46 PM
On ESPN outside the lines today, they mentioned that Kyrie is getting ready/already ready to launch Uncle Drew again... so promotion? They showed a clip with the guys voting for the all-star team. Maybe the flat earth reference surfaces in this episode? :cool:

devilsadvocate85
02-20-2017, 08:12 PM
On ESPN outside the lines today, they mentioned that Kyrie is getting ready/already ready to launch Uncle Drew again... so promotion? They showed a clip with the guys voting for the all-star team. Maybe the flat earth reference surfaces in this episode? :cool:

Saw the clip a couple times on ESPN today. Seems pretty clear that he was trying to provoke someone or something and not that he truly believes this. The prevailing theory was that he was poking at "fake news/facts" that have become so prevalent these days.

Added notes - the original quote was from a podcast hosted by some Cavs teammates where they were also discussing whether they believed in aliens. It is clearly Kylie goofing on the gullible consumers of social media as "news".

WWBD
02-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Saw the clip a couple times on ESPN today. Seems pretty clear that he was trying to provoke someone or something and not that he truly believes this. The prevailing theory was that he was poking at "fake news/facts" that have become so prevalent these days.

Added notes - the original quote was from a podcast hosted by some Cavs teammates where they were also discussing whether they believed in aliens. It is clearly Kylie goofing on the gullible consumers of social media as "news".

Kyrie wasn't trying to provoke anything. Watch that Markazi interview. There's no "wink, wink" going on there. There's no Shane Battier-level irony. There's no thesis statement anywhere to be had.
Sounds like for the first time in his life enough people said "WTF!" to him that he realized he needed to backpedal. Plus it was quickly reaching the point where it was going to be a distraction to the Cavs. The PR spin on this one is deep.

"How you gonna put "planets" in quotations?" is the best thing to come out of this. Otherwise it's a complete embarrassment for Kyrie.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2017, 10:10 PM
I sincerely doubt KI was trying to spur thought...

I was snarking.

JBDuke
02-21-2017, 12:07 AM
We're done here. Nothing more to see.