PDA

View Full Version : The Best Team In NC In 1969

Devilwin
02-17-2017, 12:19 AM
No, it wasn't Duke, or UNC, State, or Wake Forest. It was the High Point College Purple Panthers. Led by the incomparable Gene Littles and running mate Danny Whitt at guards, 6'11" Jim Picka at center, and Joe Colbert and Steve Taghenhorst at the forward slots, the team won the CC (Carolinas Conference), and eventually finished third in the nation in the NAIA national tournament. Only an upset by Eastern New Mexico State kept the Panthers from the title.
And before you think I am nuts thinking a small school like that could be better than our ACC teams, remember that at that time there was a benefit game played each year after the season between all stars from the CC and ACC. That year the CC All Stars, led by Littles, Picka, and Whitt, blew the ACC Stars out if my memory serves me, by 18 points!
I remember that team well, used to listen to their games on the radio, if Duke wasn't on.
All these memories of my beloved Blue Devils just got me thinking of great teams from that era, and growing up in High Point had to give a shout out to the Purple Panthers of '69!
And, while I am at it, just wanted to say why I became a Duke fan. Was watching a game on tv with my Grandfather, must have been around ten years old. It was Davidson ( coached by Left Driesell) and Duke. Duke won, and I just loved the name "Blue Devils." So I was hooked!!:cool:

campered
02-17-2017, 10:10 AM
No, it wasn't Duke, or UNC, State, or Wake Forest. It was the High Point College Purple Panthers. Led by the incomparable Gene Littles and running mate Danny Whitt at guards, 6'11" Jim Picka at center, and Joe Colbert and Steve Taghenhorst at the forward slots, the team won the CC (Carolinas Conference), and eventually finished third in the nation in the NAIA national tournament. Only an upset by Eastern New Mexico State kept the Panthers from the title.
And before you think I am nuts thinking a small school like that could be better than our ACC teams, remember that at that time there was a benefit game played each year after the season between all stars from the CC and ACC. That year the CC All Stars, led by Littles, Picka, and Whitt, blew the ACC Stars out if my memory serves me, by 18 points!
I remember that team well, used to listen to their games on the radio, if Duke wasn't on.
All these memories of my beloved Blue Devils just got me thinking of great teams from that era, and growing up in High Point had to give a shout out to the Purple Panthers of '69!
And, while I am at it, just wanted to say why I became a Duke fan. Was watching a game on tv with my Grandfather, must have been around ten years old. It was Davidson ( coached by Left Driesell) and Duke. Duke won, and I just loved the name "Blue Devils." So I was hooked!!:cool:WOW!! While I do not remember the High Point team you mentioned, I do remember Gene Littles. Seems like he went on to play for the Carolina Cougars in the ABA, I think. Also the Duke/Davidson game, I remember watching one on TV too as a kid. I believe Davidson's star player then was Mike Maloy, (not sure of last name spelling). They had a powerful team that gave Duke fits as I recall. The good ole Jefferson Pilot sponsored days in the ACC!!

CameronBlue
02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
The good ole Jefferson Pilot sponsored days in the ACC!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4gptzlIGow

jv001
02-17-2017, 10:25 AM
WOW!! While I do not remember the High Point team you mentioned, I do remember Gene Littles. Seems like he went on to play for the Carolina Cougars in the ABA, I think. Also the Duke/Davidson game, I remember watching one on TV too as a kid. I believe Davidson's star player then was Mike Maloy, (not sure of last name spelling). They had a powerful team that gave Duke fits as I recall. The good ole Jefferson Pilot sponsored days in the ACC!!

Gene Littles was the point guard for the Cougars and a good one. I think a player by the name of McClain(sp?) was the other guard. I do remember the High Point team that you mentioned. They were very good. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
02-17-2017, 01:25 PM
I hate, HATE, HATE!!! this thread.

Why? Because you are going to make me tout a Carolina team.

Look, I'm sure 1969 High Point was a nice team ... but they were not the best team in North Carolina that year. Not close.

That honor goes to 1969 UNC ... you say High Point finished third in the NAIA (the equivalent of NCAA Division II)? Well, UNC finished third in the NCAA -- 27-5.

Yeah, High Point had a nice guard in Geno Littles -- UNC had a better one in All-American Charlie Scott. UNC also had a senior trio of center Rusty Clark, All-ACC first team forward Bill Bunting and All-ACC second team guard Dick Grubar. That trio were three-year starters on three straight Final Four teams and ACC champions. Littles was a good pro ... Scott was a better one (led the ABA in scoring and was a first-team All-ABA pick). Bunting started on the same Carolina Cougar team that Littles did. Grubar played a year with the Indiana Pacers.

I'm not sure the '69 Deacs weren't better than High Point -- Charlie Davis was a better guard than Littles and Gil McGregor was a beast down low.

Darn you for making me sing the praises of a team from UNC Cheat!

BTW: The Carolina Cougars did play in three cities in their first year -- that was the entire point of their existence. The team came about because Frank Deford wrote an article in Sports Illustrated, touting the idea of a regional franchise. He suggested that North Carolina would be the perfect place for such a team, pointing out that there were three major arenas in the state. Jim Gardner, a Rocky Mount businessman, saw the article and liked the idea. He put together a consortium to buy an ABA expansion franchise. But the struggling Houston team came on the market, so they bought that tea, moved to Carolina, and fired every player and coach on gthe team. Gardner's group made it a true local team -- the starting guards were Gene Littles and Bob Verga (Ted "Hound Dog" McClain was a sub), the forwards were the UNC duo of Larry Miller and Bill Bunting ... the center was the only non Carolina product, George Peeples. Bones McKinney coached that first Carolina team to the playoffs as Verga earned first-team All-ABA honors and Miller was a second-team pick. Carolina split its home games between the Greensboro Coliseum, the old Charlotte Coliseum (the round one on Independence Blvd.) and Dorton Arena in Raleigh (they couldn't get Reynolds Coliseum). A year or so later, when they added Billy Cunningham and Joe Cardwell, the team adopted Greensboro as its only home.

Indoor66
02-17-2017, 01:36 PM
I hate, HATE, HATE!!! this thread.

Why? Because you are going to make me tout a Carolina team.

Look, I'm sure 1969 High Point was a nice team ... but they were not the best team in North Carolina that year. Not close.

That honor goes to 1969 UNC ... you say High Point finished third in the NAIA (the equivalent of NCAA Division II)? Well, UNC finished third in the NCAA -- 27-5.

Yeah, High Point had a nice guard in Geno Littles -- UNC had a better one in All-American Charlie Scott. UNC also had a senior trio of center Rusty Clark, All-ACC first team forward Bill Bunting and All-ACC second team guard Dick Grubar. That trio were three-year starters on three straight Final Four teams and ACC champions. Littles was a good pro ... Scott was a better one (led the ABA in scoring and was a first-team All-ABA pick). Bunting started on the same Carolina Cougar team that Littles did. Grubar played a year with the Indiana Pacers.

I'm not sure the '69 Deacs weren't better than High Point -- Charlie Davis was a better guard than Littles and Gil McGregor was a beast down low.

Darn you for making me sing the praises of a team from UNC Cheat!

BTW: The Carolina Cougars did play in three cities in their first year -- that was the entire point of their existence. The team came about because Frank Deford wrote an article in Sports Illustrated, touting the idea of a regional franchise. He suggested that North Carolina would be the perfect place for such a team, pointing out that there were three major arenas in the state. Jim Gardner, a Rocky Mount businessman, saw the article and liked the idea. He put together a consortium to buy an ABA expansion franchise. But the struggling Houston team came on the market, so they bought that tea, moved to Carolina, and fired every player and coach on gthe team. Gardner's group made it a true local team -- the starting guards were Gene Littles and Bob Verga (Ted "Hound Dog" McClain was a sub), the forwards were the UNC duo of Larry Miller and Bill Bunting ... the center was the only non Carolina product, George Peeples. Bones McKinney coached that first Carolina team to the playoffs as Verga earned first-team All-ABA honors and Miller was a second-team pick. Carolina split its home games between the Greensboro Coliseum, the old Charlotte Coliseum (the round one on Independence Blvd.) and Dorton Arena in Raleigh (they couldn't get Reynolds Coliseum). A year or so later, when they added Billy Cunningham and Joe Cardwell, the team adopted Greensboro as its only home.

That Jim Gardner of who you speak was the founder of Hardee's. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Carson_Gardner) A very successful businessman. He also ran for Governor as a a Republican in 1968.

Jeffrey
02-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Which AARP plan do you guys recommend?

Indoor66
02-17-2017, 01:44 PM

You youngsters may look forward to living for more years and having more memories to savor, more performances to recall and more aches and pains to suffer. :cool:

Jeffrey
02-17-2017, 02:01 PM
You youngsters may look forward to living for more years and having more memories to savor, more performances to recall and more aches and pains to suffer. :cool:

Which makes me wise to ask...

I already have a great pill dispenser. I picked it up at one of Jerry Garcia's estate sales.

Devilwin
02-17-2017, 03:19 PM
It's all conjecture, of course, Olympicfan, as the two teams (HP and UNC did not play each other) but I saw the Panthers play twice that year, and they were very good. Legendary sportscaster Charlie Harville called them the best team in the Carolinas, bar none. As for the three losses, upsets can happen to anybody. I talked to my brother today, and he and his friend attended the All Star Game in Greensboro with a group from the Boys Club of High Point. I was wrong about the final score, the NAIA team won by 12, not 18 as I said, but had a 20 point lead through most of the second half..And three Panthers started for the NAIA team..But, like I said, it's all opinion at this point.

dball
02-17-2017, 04:00 PM
That Jim Gardner of who you speak was the founder of Hardee's. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Carson_Gardner) A very successful businessman. He also ran for Governor as a a Republican in 1968.

Wilbur Hardee founded the eponymous Hardee's in Greenville NC. Gardner was the first franchisee. Wilbur had two restaurants in Greenville as I recall when Gardner purchased a franchise.

Gardner and his group did later buy Hardee out. Certainly Gardner's group was responsible for the company's rapid growth.

budwom
02-17-2017, 04:09 PM

I personally go with Prune Level, which is top of the line...

jimsumner
02-17-2017, 04:18 PM
I strongly agree with Olympic Fan. There's no way in the world that the 1969 High Point team would have been even remotely competitive against a top-tier NCAA team. Yes, Gene Littles was an ACC-level talent. But that's it.

And that North Carolina team beat Davidson--Mike Maloy, Doug Cook, Jerry Kroll--on a Charlie Scott buzzer-beater, one of the four times Lefty made it to the Elite Eight but came up short. Wake Forest had Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor, Duke had Randy Denton and Dick DeVenzio, NC State had Van Williford and Joe Serdich. All of these teams had more talent than even the best NAIA teams.

At best, High Point was the sixth best team in the state.

IMO.

Jeffrey
02-17-2017, 05:01 PM
I personally go with Prune Level, which is top of the line...

Sounds pricey!

Devilwin
02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
I strongly agree with Olympic Fan. There's no way in the world that the 1969 High Point team would have been even remotely competitive against a top-tier NCAA team. Yes, Gene Littles was an ACC-level talent. But that's it.

And that North Carolina team beat Davidson--Mike Maloy, Doug Cook, Jerry Kroll--on a Charlie Scott buzzer-beater, one of the four times Lefty made it to the Elite Eight but came up short. Wake Forest had Charlie Davis and Gil McGregor, Duke had Randy Denton and Dick DeVenzio, NC State had Van Williford and Joe Serdich. All of these teams had more talent than even the best NAIA teams.

IMO.

We are all entitled to our opinion. Many that saw that team would disagree, but it is what it is. People that saw the High Point led NAIA All Stars wouldn't believe they had a shot either against ACC players. But they did, and laid a quality butt kicking on the invincible ACC..Lol. And Gil McGregor and other stars were on the team, however, my brother did say just now there were no Duke or UNC players on the ACC squad. Regardless, the NAIA kicked their butts, and that's a fact.

arnie
02-17-2017, 05:12 PM
We are all entitled to our opinion. Many that saw that team would disagree, but it is what it is. People that saw the High Point led NAIA All Stars wouldn't believe they had a shot either against ACC players. But they did, and laid a quality butt kicking on the invincible ACC..Lol. And Gil McGregor and other stars were on the team, however, my brother did say just now there were no Duke or UNC players on the ACC squad. Regardless, the NAIA kicked their butts, and that's a fact.

Basing your opinion on a benefit all star game - realize college baseball teams sometimes best MLB teams in spring training. I doubt ACC stars were inspired for the game. IMHO

Devilwin
02-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Basing your opinion on a benefit all star game - realize college baseball teams sometimes best MLB teams in spring training. I doubt ACC stars were inspired for the game. IMHO
Could be. But who is to say? Maybe the NAIA was goofing around? No big deal, but I can promise you that team could give an ACC school a run for their money.

Indoor66
02-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Wilbur Hardee founded the eponymous Hardee's in Greenville NC. Gardner was the first franchisee. Wilbur had two restaurants in Greenville as I recall when Gardner purchased a franchise.

Gardner and his group did later buy Hardee out. Certainly Gardner's group was responsible for the company's rapid growth.

I'll stand corrected but further state that Jim's group founded the Chain which is the significant step. There used to be Ray's and Chip's and many others. They were swallowed by the survivors.

Olympic Fan
02-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Yeah and some people think Godfather III was the best of the Godfather movies ... everybody is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't make all opinions right.

I covered the Carolinas Conference in 1969 when I wrote for the Burlington Times News. Elon (with a wonderful guard named Tommy Cole) was in that league. It was a fun conference, although down a bit from 1968. Littles was only the second best player in the league that year -- Catawba's Dwight Durante was at another level (his duels with Henry Logan, which ended in 1968, were the stuff of legends).

But with such stars, there was no way that High Point (or anybody else in that conference) were close to even the mid-level ACC schools.

As for that all-star game you set so much stock in, players in that era always played a series of postseason "all-star" games during that era -- after they completed their college eligibility. Those were like pickup games with fans. There were no coaches and nobody took them seriously.

As you say, no Duke or UNC players were in the game you cite ... and you are wrong that Gil McGregor participated --he was a sophomore in 1969. He couldn't play in those all-star games until after his senior season in 1971. Your NAIA all-stars beat a bunch of Big Four scrubs -- no Charlie Scott, no Charlie Davis, no Van Williford, no Gil McGregor, no Randy Denton. I'm sorry, but to try and use that to justify claiming High Point was the best team in the state ... that's a weak argument.

It was a fine small college team with a pro guard on the roster, but there were a number of NAIA teams from that era that were similar or better -- Guilford (with future pro big man Bob Kauffman) and Winston-Salem State (with Earl "The Pearl" Monroe) each won NAIA national titles. Western Carolina with Henry Logan and Catwaba with Dwight Durante were very similar teams to Gene Littles and High Point.\\None of them could have played with the best Big Four teams of that era.

Devilwin
02-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Yeah and some people think Godfather III was the best of the Godfather movies ... everybody is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't make all opinions right.

I covered the Carolinas Conference in 1969 when I wrote for the Burlington Times News. Elon (with a wonderful guard named Tommy Cole) was in that league. It was a fun conference, although down a bit from 1968. Littles was only the second best player in the league that year -- Catawba's Dwight Durante was at another level (his duels with Henry Logan, which ended in 1968, were the stuff of legends).

But with such stars, there was no way that High Point (or anybody else in that conference) were close to even the mid-level ACC schools.

As for that all-star game you set so much stock in, players in that era always played a series of postseason "all-star" games during that era -- after they completed their college eligibility. Those were like pickup games with fans. There were no coaches and nobody took them seriously.

As you say, no Duke or UNC players were in the game you cite ... and you are wrong that Gil McGregor participated --he was a sophomore in 1969. He couldn't play in those all-star games until after his senior season in 1971. Your NAIA all-stars beat a bunch of Big Four scrubs -- no Charlie Scott, no Charlie Davis, no Van Williford, no Gil McGregor, no Randy Denton. I'm sorry, but to try and use that to justify claiming High Point was the best team in the state ... that's a weak argument.

It was a fine small college team with a pro guard on the roster, but there were a number of NAIA teams from that era that were similar or better -- Guilford (with future pro big man Bob Kauffman) and Winston-Salem State (with Earl "The Pearl" Monroe) each won NAIA national titles. Western Carolina with Henry Logan and Catwaba with Dwight Durante were very similar teams to Gene Littles and High Point.\\None of them could have played with the best Big Four teams of that era.

Excuse me, but unless my brother is lying, he said he got McGregor's autograph. And Mike isn't prone to lying.

dball
02-17-2017, 09:43 PM
I'll stand corrected but further state that Jim's group founded the Chain which is the significant step. There used to be Ray's and Chip's and many others. They were swallowed by the survivors.

Not sure your point here. Wilbur owned the first restaurants and sold the first francise. That would be the start of the Chain.

As indicated Gardner's group grew the Chain.

I could go into more detail but have a movie in the works with Michael Keaton. (Ray Kroc joke)

Olympic Fan
02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Excuse me, but unless my brother is lying, he said he got McGregor's autograph. And Mike isn't prone to lying.

Nobody says he's lying, but it's easy to confuse years.

Gil McGregor was a senior in 1971 and he played on that "all-star" tour that spring.

If he had played in 1969, he would have been ineligible to play college basketball in 1970 and 1971.

Only seniors who had completed their eligibility could play in those post-season games.

burnspbesq
02-18-2017, 10:06 AM

IMO.

Doug Cook was from my high school, and it used to crack us up that Thacker always mangled the pronunciation of his home town. It's Ho-HO-Kus, not HO-Ko-Kus, Jim. You can still get an argument, among RHS grads old enough to have seen them both play, as to whether Cook or Tim Mullen was the best player ever to wear the Maroon and White.

jv001
02-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Great information on that era. Who was the head coach at Elon during that time? I'm thinking Coach Steele, but I remember him at High Point. I may be getting him confused with someone else. I do know for a fact that Doug Moe was an assistant coach at Elon but I can't remember the years. He slipped me and my friend in for some Elon games.
There were some very good small college teams during that time. Catawba, Lenoir Rhyne, Western Carolina and a few others. We had a player(Jerry Moore) from our small town school, Madison-Mayodan who received a scholarship to Miami. Jerry played one or two years at Miami and then transferred to Catawba. If I'm not mistaken, Jerry made all state his senior year. I believe the coach at Catawba was Charlie Moir. Matter of fact Charlie had a brother(Sam?) that coached in the ACC if I'm not mistaken. Then again it might have been Charlie that coached in the ACC. I'm sure your memory is way better than mine. Thanks for the information you posted. GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
02-18-2017, 11:12 AM
Great information on that era. Who was the head coach at Elon during that time? I'm thinking Coach Steele, but I remember him at High Point. I may be getting him confused with someone else. I do know for a fact that Doug Moe was an assistant coach at Elon but I can't remember the years. He slipped me and my friend in for some Elon games.
There were some very good small college teams during that time. Catawba, Lenoir Rhyne, Western Carolina and a few others. We had a player(Jerry Moore) from our small town school, Madison-Mayodan who received a scholarship to Miami. Jerry played one or two years at Miami and then transferred to Catawba. If I'm not mistaken, Jerry made all state his senior year. I believe the coach at Catawba was Charlie Moir. Matter of fact Charlie had a brother(Sam?) that coached in the ACC if I'm not mistaken. Then again it might have been Charlie that coached in the ACC. I'm sure your memory is way better than mine. Thanks for the information you posted. GoDuke!

Bill Miller was the coach when I covered the Fighting Christians ... as they were known at that time.

I think Jerry Steele (who succeeded Bones as coach of the Cougars) coached at Guilford (where he was Dave Odom's coach). After he was fired by the Cougars, he took over at High Point.

Charlie Moir coached at Virginia Tech from 1977-87 (before they joined the ACC). Hen also coached at Tulane. Don't know if he had a brother in coaching -- it's possible, but he didn't coach in the ACC.

PS Doug Moe actually enrolled at Elon briefly. It was before my time there, but he took classes for a semester when he was suspended at UNC (I think that would be the first semester of the 1959-60 school year). He would still drop by the team occasionally, but by the time I was there, he was playing in the ABA.

jv001
02-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Bill Miller was the coach when I covered the Fighting Christians ... as they were known at that time.

I think Jerry Steele (who succeeded Bones as coach of the Cougars) coached at Guilford (where he was Dave Odom's coach). After he was fired by the Cougars, he took over at High Point.

Charlie Moir coached at Virginia Tech from 1977-87 (before they joined the ACC). Hen also coached at Tulane. Don't know if he had a brother in coaching -- it's possible, but he didn't coach in the ACC.

PS Doug Moe actually enrolled at Elon briefly. It was before my time there, but he took classes for a semester when he was suspended at UNC (I think that would be the first semester of the 1959-60 school year). He would still drop by the team occasionally, but by the time I was there, he was playing in the ABA.

That time line seems right. I was still in high school. My friend, Leroy Myers played baseball, basketball and golf at Elon. At one time Leroy held a record in NAIA baseball. In the playoffs, he walked 5 times and scored 5 times. He was a terrific athlete. In high school, he had the record at our school for points in a game(56). At Elon, his senior year he was point guard on the Basketball team, starter on the baseball team and #1 golfer on the golf team. After his playing days were over, he coached high school for many years. he passed away about 10 years ago to a heart attack. The weekend before his death, he shot 65 at a tough Pilot Knob CC. He was 65 at the time. There's an effort being made to have Leroy inducted to the NC High School HOF. He deserves it. Thanks again for the information you provide to DBR. GoDuke!

szstark
02-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Show some respect. Duke basketball has been around for a long time and was great before K came along. You should only hope that you can end up with as many good memories of Duke basketball as those of us who can relate directly to this thread. :)

Indoor66
02-18-2017, 12:14 PM

Sam Moir coached at Catawba from 1960 to 1994. Charlie Moir coached at Virginia Tech.

Devilwin
02-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Nobody says he's lying, but it's easy to confuse years.

Gil McGregor was a senior in 1971 and he played on that "all-star" tour that spring.

If he had played in 1969, he would have been ineligible to play college basketball in 1970 and 1971.

Only seniors who had completed their eligibility could play in those post-season games.

He got Little's autograph that night too.
Look, you're obviously a well schooled individual on this subject. But since there is no way to know if HPU could have beaten an ACC squad, (or not) it's a moot point. I started the thread mainly because we were conversing about the late Charlie Harville, who I am certain you are familiar with. I recall him making the statement on air about the Panthers, therefore, the thread was started as a topic for interesting conversation.
One of these days, you and I are going to stumble into agreeing on something, just wait and see!

jv001
02-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Sam Moir coached at Catawba from 1960 to 1994. Charlie Moir coached at Virginia Tech.

Thanks Indoor, I thought there were two of the Moirs. I just didn't know where they coached. GoDuke!