PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams - season probably over

gofurman
02-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Feel for the guy.. seems a good team player. You probably saw he is having surgery.. done for year

On a purely objective note - he played about 20 minutes a game for UNC despite averaging only 6 points and 3 boards.. he must provide something else. What were his key contributions to UNC?? perimeter defense? What were his biggest attributes that they lose a little with him gone for the year

CDu
02-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Feel for the guy.. seems a good team player. You probably saw he is having surgery.. done for year

On a purely objective note - he played about 20 minutes a game for UNC despite averaging only 6 points and 3 boards.. he must provide something else. What were his key contributions to UNC?? perimeter defense? What were his biggest attributes that they lose a little with him gone for the year

He was a pretty decent perimeter defender. The biggest downside for the 'Heels in losing Williams is that it will force UNC to play guys like Woods and Robinson a bit more, and those guys haven't looked ready yet. But, primarily it just means more minutes for Theo Pinson, which is a good thing for UNC.

ipatent
02-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Wasn't there another Kenny Williams back in the '80s who played or almost played for UNC?

CDu
02-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there another Kenny Williams back in the '80s who played or almost played for UNC?

Yes, there was a 6'9" SF who played a few years for the Pacers in the early 90s by the same name. Not sure if they are related. Probably not. Both Kenny and Williams are common enough names for it to be a coincidence. Also probably not related to Kenny Williams the former White Sox GM.

ETA: just checked, and Kenny Williams of UNC is Kenny Williams III, so his father is also Kenny Williams. Doesn't answer the question of whether it is the NBA Kenny Williams (possible) or the MLB Kenny Williams (highly unlikely).

Owen Meany
02-16-2017, 04:27 PM

There was a Kenny Williams who committed to play at UNC. He was very talented. IIRC be played in a tournament in VA that included JR Reid and Alonzo Mourning and received the MVP award despite being only a sophomore. The fact that he failed to graduate from high school caused barely a ripple in the press given that he was a UNC recruit,but it did disqualify him from joining the UNC team. He went straight pro, which was not common at the time.

jv001
02-16-2017, 04:31 PM
There was a Kenny Williams who committed to play at UNC. He was very talented. IIRC be played in a tournament in VA that included JR Reid and Alonzo Mourning and received the MVP award despite being only a sophomore. The fact that he failed to graduate from high school caused barely a ripple in the press given that he was a UNC recruit,but it did disqualify him from joining the UNC team. He went straight pro, which was not common at the time.

This must not have been in the Cheat academic fraud years because they would have found a way for him to get enough high school credits and college credits as well. GoDuke!

Owen Meany
02-16-2017, 05:18 PM
This must not have been in the Cheat academic fraud years because they would have found a way for him to get enough high school credits and college credits as well. GoDuke!

I knew a close relative of Kenny's who grew up with him in Elizabeth City. He liked Kenny but was very open about the fact that Williams was an extremely poor student. This was during the prop48 days. After Williams' had committed to UNC, his relative told me that he had not qualified but that UNC told him it would be OK, he would be fine. He laughed about it (like they would get him the score he needed), but I don't necessarily take it that way since I would not think it was that easy to get someone to stand in for a 6'9" kid and take their exam. But I did think it showed that UNC would take him regardless of how unqualified he was for the school, if he did meet minimum requirements. A quick internet search showed claims he did graduate from high school, but I distinctly remember his relative saying he was not going to graduate, and later that he did not and thus was unable to attend UNC.

It struck me at the time because UNC athletics had such a strong image for academics while NCSU was getting pilloried (specifically about Washburn). But Washburn was recruited by Smith, and did score higher on the SAT than Kevin Madden. Then this really exceptional player committed to UNC but failed to even graduate from high school and nothing was said at all.

UrinalCake
02-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Their depth takes a hit, but they've been playing most of the season without Pinson who is now back so I imagine Williams's minutes would have dropped anyways since he and Pinson are similar players. Tough break for him personally but probably not a huge impact on the team.

wsb3
02-16-2017, 08:01 PM

I am probably wrong but I thought Dean did catch a little flack from not backing off Kenny Williams..It seems he said something to the effect of he didn't flunk high school he just did not get enough credits to graduate. I thought he went to a junior college & then the NBA..Is my aging memory wrong on that as well?

Sorry for the current Kenny Williams getting hurt. I don't wish injury on anyone..

CDu
02-16-2017, 08:42 PM
I am probably wrong but I thought Dean did catch a little flack from not backing off Kenny Williams..It seems he said something to the effect of he didn't flunk high school he just did not get enough credits to graduate. I thought he went to a junior college & then the NBA..Is my aging memory wrong on that as well?

Sorry for the current Kenny Williams getting hurt. I don't wish injury on anyone..

You are correct. Williams went to Barton County CC before entering the draft.

gofurman
02-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Their depth takes a hit, but they've been playing most of the season without Pinson who is now back so I imagine Williams's minutes would have dropped anyways since he and Pinson are similar players. Tough break for him personally but probably not a huge impact on the team.

Yeah. So consensus is that it is a little hit but not much to UNC? That theo Pinson and Kenny Williams share the same role?

(Because I do know Unc is better w Pinson than without. That's for sure).

So a little hit to depth. But it does mean they are one injury away from possible trouble. Less cushion

CDu
02-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Yeah. So consensus is that it is a little hit but not much to UNC? That theo Pinson and Kenny Williams share the same role?

(Because I do know Unc is better w Pinson than without. That's for sure).

So a little hit to depth. But it does mean they are one injury away from possible trouble. Less cushion

They don't share the same role. Pinson is a difference maker on defense, on the glass, and as a passer. Williams is a decent defender and a bit better as a shooter. But he isn't in Pinson's class overall.

As you said, it hurts their depth. Maybe. They have a pair of freshmen who may be able to handle primary backup duties. And putting Pinson in place of Williams is a boon for UNC.

moonpie23
02-16-2017, 10:57 PM
hate any player getting hurt..... good luck to him on his recovery...