PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Virginia (Feb 15, 2017)

JBDuke
02-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 65-55 win over Virginia?

Dev11
02-15-2017, 11:15 PM
This might not be a necessary poll.

Troublemaker
02-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Every single player listed had their moment. Even Marques had that monster block.

But yes, it's Jayson for putting the game away by himself with his shotmaking.

ricks68
02-15-2017, 11:17 PM

Duh!

ricks

Ultrarunner
02-15-2017, 11:19 PM

It's DBR. It's necessary. And someone will be contrary.

CDu
02-15-2017, 11:21 PM
I voted for Tatum, but definitely want to give shouts out to Jones (did he come out of the game? His defense was stifling) and Giles. Jones was - again - an absolute demon on defense. All night. It is amazing someone so unathletic is so good defensively. All heart, grit, effort, and awareness. And Giles really bailed us out when Jefferson got foul-happy. I felt it was his best game of the year so far.

wsb3
02-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Tatum was really something. He literally gave us separation down the stretch.

Before that stretch I wanted to vote for Matt for defense or Giles for what he gave us off the bench but Tatum was amazing..

kAzE
02-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Unanimous thus far!

JasonEvans
02-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Look, plenty of guys played well tonight and contributed, but I was truly hoping to open this thread and see only one option in the poll.

By the way, I thought Tatum came darn close to deserving MOTM for his rebounding as well.

Dukehky
02-15-2017, 11:39 PM
It was Tatum. I voted for Giles just to give him a little love. He looked like Harry Giles for spurts tonight. If he gets a lob instead of rocket pass from Luke, he's got more points and I think he gets more PT.

DukieInBrasil
02-15-2017, 11:48 PM
It was Tatum. I voted for Giles just to give him a little love. He looked like Harry Giles for spurts tonight. If he gets a lob instead of rocket pass from Luke, he's got more points and I think he gets more PT.

I liked the way Giles played tonight, much better looking than previously. But that fumbled pass was all on Harry. Luke's pass hit him in the hands.

JBDuke
02-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Look, plenty of guys played well tonight and contributed, but I was truly hoping to open this thread and see only one option in the poll.

By the way, I thought Tatum came darn close to deserving MOTM for his rebounding as well.

I figured that this would be a very one-sided poll, but the last time I put up a one-option poll, people griped about it. I'll save that for very special occasions.

I guess you just can't please all the people all the time.

BluDvlsN1
02-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Our Team continues to come together at the right time.

The way this season is progressing, each week it could be and usually is,
someone different.

What that tells me is that other coaches have to be tearing their hair out
developing a game plan against us.

This was a great defensive effort by VA, but we have so many weapons,
what do you plan for.

The fact is, Matt and Amile do their job as team captains, and
on the court.

The guards penetrate, find the open man, hit the 3's.

The big's are making more and better contributions.

Team and individual defense is coming together.

It's the collective of all this, that is bringing this together,
not any one individual.

This is fun.

I voted for Jayson because he was the guy tonight.

Great TEAM win. Fist!

NYBri
02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Tatum for 3!!!!

pamtar
02-16-2017, 12:04 AM
I was stuck on Giles until Tatum hit the dagger three with a hand in his face.

ricks68
02-16-2017, 12:13 AM
How about our defense? We held them to their lowest offensive output of the year.

ricks

KandG
02-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Almost decided to be contrary but went with the crowd. With that said, I'm amazed the poll is as one-sided as it was (as of the time I voted, 67 of 68 for Jayson), only because Matt was so outstanding shutting out Perrantes and generally playing the best defense I've seen any Duke player play all season. Matt was also a big part of the press that helped slow Virginia's already glacial offense down to a crawl.

But kudos Jayson, for an unbelievable shooting and rebounding display.

Son of Jarhead
02-16-2017, 02:12 AM
I voted for Jayson because we really needed his scoring tonight and he delivered, but I wish I could have voted for Matt too (& harry). Matt's defense was outstanding. He has been our best defender since game one, but he has also been getting better with each game. (It's obvious to me that he has really worked hard on his body and his game.) I also thought Harry played his best game so far on defense (though I suppose UVA's lack of a post threat made it a little easier).

Bluedevil114
02-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Jayson Tatum was ridiculous in the secon half. Great to have no letdown when Giles came in. The fourth foul on Jefferson was a terrible play for a 5th year player. Bringing your hand down was a terrible play. Giles played great and Tatum played better. Tatum also played great defense and rebounded the ball well.

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Nice blurb on Harry in a post game writeup.

Giles totaled 19 minutes, which was the most he has played in five games since also logging 18 minutes at Wake Forest. His stat line was only five points and three rebounds, but it was a confidence-boosting performance that he has needed since missing the first 11 games this season while rehabbing his right knee.
"It was a big game for Harry Giles," Krzyzewski said. "If Harry can do what he did tonight, that's going to help us a lot."

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117726/duke-learning-to-win-without-its-best-shot
(That whole article is a good one to read.)

wilson
02-16-2017, 08:41 AM

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117726/duke-learning-to-win-without-its-best-shot
(That whole article is a good one to read.)I too enjoyed that piece. Basically, the gist is that Duke is learning to win ugly. To me, it's a sign of growing team cohesion and maturity, always a good thing at this time of year. We're gonna be right in the mix come March.

Ballboy1998
02-16-2017, 08:54 AM
I went with Tatum for obvious reasons, but glad to see at least one renegade giving some love to Mr. Jones. Jones played great defense throughout. I thought Jones and Jefferson kept the game within reach early by getting us extra possessions through Jones's steals and Jefferson's offensive boards. If the two of them hadn't brought that intensity from the opening tip, the game may have gotten a bit out of reach for us early. Jones also added an important layup to start the second half and a big three in the second half as well.

elvis14
02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
For MOTM was Jayson. He scored 21 in the second half. Duke scored 21 in the first half.

Sometimes we should just list 1 choice.

BandAlum83
02-16-2017, 10:33 AM

(That whole article is a good one to read.)

Check the comments! :)

Haters heads be exploding like boom!

vfefrenzy
02-16-2017, 01:41 PM
I went with Tatum for obvious reasons, but glad to see at least one renegade giving some love to Mr. Jones. Jones played great defense throughout. I thought Jones and Jefferson kept the game within reach early by getting us extra possessions through Jones's steals and Jefferson's offensive boards. If the two of them hadn't brought that intensity from the opening tip, the game may have gotten a bit out of reach for us early. Jones also added an important layup to start the second half and a big three in the second half as well.

As the renegade in question (I have since attracted two followers), I figured since Tatum had over 100 votes, Jones deserved at least one.

Indoor66
02-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Without Matt's defense we do not win this game. He was outstanding for the entire game. Others were warm and cool. Tatum comes in a strong second with me.

elvis14
02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Without Matt's defense we do not win this game. He was outstanding for the entire game. Others were warm and cool. Tatum comes in a strong second with me.

Well that gets Matt up to 2.55%. Sorry but this was Jayson's game with a big gap between him and everyone else (there was no 'strong second').

jv001
02-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Well that gets Matt up to 2.55%. Sorry but this was Jayson's game with a big gap between him and everyone else (there was no 'strong second').

Matt may not be shooting the ball like he did last season, but he's needed for his defense. Until this season, I'm guilty of not appreciating his defense. He's made a believer out of me. Plus he's hit some big shots this season and is likely to go off again in one of our upcoming games. With Grayson not running on a full tank of gas, we just might need him to light up the Deacons. GoDuke!

CDu
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I think Jones was a great player in the win. But without Tatum, we lose that game. Jones played well, and was big part of why it was a 10-point win instead of neck and neck. But without Tatum's performance on both ends of the floor, we simply don't have a chance to win that game.

BluDvlsN1
02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Thought's regarding the MOTM poll.

I’m not singling out this games poll in particular, but referencing the MOTM polls in general.

My understanding of the MOTM is to determine the one (1) individual that was THE single, above the rest, player of the game.

Now, understanding that everyone’s criteria might be a bit different, some components seem obvious.

There are no right or wrong answers in the voting, only personal opinion.

Like for me in the Notre Dame game, if one play would qualify for MOTM, it’s Luke’s flying baseline save on the offensive end, with a midair bounce pass nutmeg of Vastoria to Grayson for a three.

That seemed to ignite the team.

There are always defensive or leadership contributions that don’t necessarily show up in the stat line, That are critical to overall Team game.

Then there are those polls where two players are so close it's a coin flip, those are some my personal favorites

But do they meet the MOTM objective, important, YES, but MOTM?

Consistently, most posters get that one player was clearly the MOTM, but put their mentions in a post, about those other players and contributions so that their efforts not be overlooked, and that is as it should be.

Is there another poll necessary that the MOTM doesn’t cover?

Indoor66
02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Is there another poll necessary that the MOTM doesn’t cover?

Sure is. One that only I vote in because I know that I am always right. :mad::cool:

BluDvlsN1
02-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Sure is. One that only I vote in because I know that I am always right. :mad::cool:

Hahaha, most of us experts would agree with that, just not collectively. ;)

elvis14
02-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Matt may not be shooting the ball like he did last season, but he's needed for his defense. Until this season, I'm guilty of not appreciating his defense. He's made a believer out of me. Plus he's hit some big shots this season and is likely to go off again in one of our upcoming games. With Grayson not running on a full tank of gas, we just might need him to light up the Deacons. GoDuke!

Just to be clear. I love Matt Jones and the intelligent hard nosed defense he brings to the team. I didn't mean anything negative about Matt at all. But this is a MOTM poll/thread not a "player who I like who had a nice game" thread. That's what the post game thread is for.

Indoor66
02-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Just to be clear. I love Matt Jones and the intelligent hard nosed defense he brings to the team. I didn't mean anything negative about Matt at all. But this is a MOTM poll/thread not a "player who I like who had a nice game" thread. That's what the post game thread is for.

I agree the poll if for the MOTM but some might feel, as I do, that the importance of the contribution by Matt on defense exceeded the single importance of any other player. In a low scoring game, defense is critical. More so than in a higher scoring one. Just my opinion and I know that my opinion is paramount. :p:rolleyes::cool:

Jeffrey
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
In a low scoring game, defense is critical. More so than in a higher scoring one.

In a low scoring game, is defense truly more critical than offense? Seems to me like every point we score is as important as every point they do not.

Good luck calculating how many points Matt personally took off their side of the scoreboard, but we certainly know how many points (and the percentage of our total) Jayson put on our side.