PDA

View Full Version : Was Stephen Miller a Duke Basketball Fan?

Henderson
02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Duke graduate Stephen Miller is now a senior White House advisor. Was he a Duke basketball fan?

Please don't go inappropriately political. This is a basketball question.

Thanks.

kAzE
02-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Duke graduate Stephen Miller is now a senior White House advisor. Was he a Duke basketball fan?

Thanks.

I remember the work he did in defense of the falsely accused Lacrosse players. I'd assume he's a Duke sports fan.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of his more recent work . . .

moonpie23
02-15-2017, 01:26 PM
PLEASE lock this thread...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

kAzE
02-15-2017, 01:29 PM
PLEASE lock this thread...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Agreed . . . it's a thread for a yes or no question that can't go any direction but political.

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Well, we spent a lot of time on Reggie Love in the last administration!

Wander
02-15-2017, 01:37 PM
I remember the work he did in defense of the falsely accused Lacrosse players. I'd assume he's a Duke sports fan.

Given how political the Lacrosse story got, I'm not sure anyone's stance on it says anything about their sports allegiances.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Agreed . . . it's a thread for a yes or no question that can't go any direction but political.

It doesn't have to go political. I think DBR members are capable of focusing on sports. I made that pitch in opening the thread. If people find themselves unable to control themselves, they shouldn't post. But you guys know how to behave yourselves, don't you?

I'm curious about a prominent Duke alum and his connection to Duke basketball. That's 100% on point here.

davekay1971
02-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Well, we spent a lot of time on Reggie Love in the last administration!

To be fair, Reggie Love was a prominent member of the Duke Basketball program. However, I agree with your overall point that fairness on DBR should allow for a non-PPB thread about a member of the Duke family in a prominent position in the White House regardless of which party is currently running the Executive Branch. I would assume those who disagree with the current POTUS can remain civil about Mr Miller.

kAzE
02-15-2017, 01:44 PM
It doesn't have to go political. I think DBR members are capable of focusing on sports. I made that pitch in opening the thread. If people find themselves unable to control themselves, they shouldn't post. But you guys know how to behave yourselves, don't you?

I'm curious about a prominent Duke alum and his connection to Duke basketball. That's 100% on point here.

I don't doubt your intent at all. Just given Miller's most recent public comments, he's become a lightning rod for political opinions, so I'm not sure how any in depth discussion about him can avoid it.

Bluedog
02-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Based on what little I knew about him while on campus at the same time, he was not a sports guy. Just a politics guy.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 01:48 PM
I don't doubt your intent at all. Just given Miller's most recent public comments, he's become a lightning rod for political opinions, so I'm not sure how any in depth discussion about him can avoid it.

So avoid the politics. It was a simple non-political question I posed. If you don't know the answer, no need to post at all.

flyingdutchdevil
02-15-2017, 01:49 PM
No, he really didn't care about Duke basketball.

That's all I'm going to say on this subject.

CDu
02-15-2017, 01:57 PM
So avoid the politics. It was a simple non-political question I posed. If you don't know the answer, no need to post at all.

Just curious: how is this an interesting question to you? If the answer is "yes", what does that mean to you? If the answer is "no", what does that mean? Stephen Miller isn't involved in Duke basketball (or basketball in general) in any way. So why do you care if he was or is a Duke basketball fan? And why would that be a basketball question?

Just seems weird.

It's entirely a separate point when talking about Reggie Love on a Duke basketball message board, since he was in fact a Duke basketball (and football) player.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Just curious: how is this an interesting question to you? If the answer is "yes", what does that mean to you? If the answer is "no", what does that mean? Stephen Miller isn't involved in Duke basketball (or basketball in general) in any way. So why do you care if he was or is a Duke basketball fan? And why would that be a basketball question?

Just seems weird.

It's entirely a separate point when talking about Reggie Love on a Duke basketball message board, since he was in fact a Duke basketball (and football) player.

It's simple curiosity. It's like asking whether Charlie Rose or Tim Cook was a Duke basketball fan.

Do you have anything to share on that point, or are you trying to make this political? If the latter, the problem is not with the thread.

Edouble
02-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Perhaps, if Mr. Miller is not interested in Duke basketball, the POTUS can enlighten him.

Trump, for those who might remember, took in the Duke-UNC game in Cameron, back in 2004. I recall him saying that he really liked Luol's game, something to the effect of "that #2 is really good around the basket."

CDu
02-15-2017, 02:09 PM
It's simple curiosity. It's like asking whether Charlie Rose or Tim Cook was a Duke basketball fan.

Do you have anything to share on that point, or are you trying to make this political? If the latter, the problem is not with the thread.

What in my post led you to believe that I was trying to make this political? I was legitimately trying to figure out why someone would find this interesting. You are the one who has (multiple times now) brought up politics.

Troublemaker
02-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Just seems weird.

Because different people find different questions to be interesting. For example, let's say Hendo really hates Miller's politics. He might find it somewhat interesting to know whether this person he dislikes so much had shared the same experience as a Cameron Crazy or the same interest in Duke basketball. Maybe they even stood next to each other in the bleachers at some point.

Based on this, Hendo came here and asked the question. And, not surprisingly, he found his answers:

Based on what little I knew about him while on campus at the same time, he was not a sports guy. Just a politics guy.

And now that Hendo has his answers, the thread could be locked.

Incidentally, a disinterest in sports is exactly what I would've predicted. People who are very political/ideological tend to spend the bulk of their time thinking about politics and ideology. They would actually sneer at us sports fans usually. "Hey, enjoy watching your sportsball." In this case, "bounceball."

dukebluesincebirth
02-15-2017, 02:10 PM
After a few minutes of quick Google researching, I see no link between Mr. Miller and Duke bball other than attending Duke Univ. Every article is related to politics, no mention of attending games, etc. So i'm going to go with NO.

BLPOG
02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
People who are very political/ideological tend to spend the bulk of their time thinking about politics and ideology. They would actually sneer at us sports fans usually. "Hey, enjoy watching your sportsball." In this case, "bounceball."

I don't think that's accurate at all and I would shocked if you could provide data to substantiate it.

That, on the other hand, is certainly accurate.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Incidentally, a disinterest in sports is exactly what I would've predicted. People who are very political/ideology tend to spend the bulk of their time thinking about politics and their ideology. They would actually sneer at us sports fans usually. "Hey, enjoy watching your sportsball." In this case, "bounceball."

Presidents Nixon, Clinton and Obama were all big sports fans.

W owned a baseball team.

I think Hendu raised an interesting question, hope there are more that knew Miller that can provide input. Not sure why there is a push to lock the thread; just avoid political comment. Not hard.

CDu
02-15-2017, 02:16 PM

W owned a baseball team.

I think Hendu raised an interesting question, hope there are more that knew Miller that can provide input. Not sure why there is a push to lock the thread; just avoid political comment. Not hard.

I think the question itself has been answered now.

DavidBenAkiva
02-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks.

If this was intended to be a basketball thread, why ask a question about an overtly political figure? People of all backgrounds love Duke Basketball. The previous administration featured former Duke player and overall badass Reggie Love. Generals, CEOs, common folks, everyone loves Duke Basketball. We're the first college basketball team with over 1 million followers on twitter and perennially ranked among the most popular teams in the country. Other teams and entire networks can't stop talking about us. Duke Basketball: Bringing the people together.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Um, after just two anecdotal responses, you want to lock down a question about the interest in Duke basketball of a prominent Duke alum? Really.

Troublemaker
02-15-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't think that's accurate at all and I would shocked if you could provide data to substantiate it.

I would be shocked if that data were available. Obviously, I can't prove it. Just my own personal observations over many years.

W owned a baseball team.

I didn't say politicians generally aren't big sports fans. I said people who are very political or ideological. Getting into the difference would lead us down the PPB road.

CDu
02-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Um, after just two anecdotal responses, you want to lock down a question about the interest in Duke basketball of a prominent Duke alum? Really.

I mean, what are you expecting? A girl/guy who was in his dorm has said Miller wasn't a Duke bball fan. What else is there to discuss on the topic?

Are you expecting his best friend to be on the board? Him? The best answer you are possibly going to get to your question is going to be anecdotal.

And if all you really are interested in is whether or not he is a Duke basketball fan, that anecdotal response would seem to fulfill the discussion. No?

I'm personally fine with leaving the thread open. Just not sure what further brilliant insight you are going to get beyond what has already been said.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 02:20 PM
If this was intended to be a basketball thread, why ask a question about an overtly political figure?

It's not my fault there's a Duke alum involved in politics. He's in the news. I'm curious whether he's a basketball fan. That's it. If you don't know... then....

flyingdutchdevil
02-15-2017, 02:21 PM
I mean, what are you expecting? A girl/guy who was in his dorm has said Miller wasn't a Duke bball fan. What else is there to discuss on the topic?

Are you expecting his best friend to be on the board? Him? The best answer you are possibly going to get to your question is going to be anecdotal.

And if all you really are interested in is whether or not he is a Duke basketball fan, that anecdotal response would seem to fulfill the discussion. No?

I am definitely a guy. My wife confirmed that last night.

Troublemaker
02-15-2017, 02:22 PM

That's up to the mods, obviously.

You're probably not going to get anything but anecdotal responses.

CDu
02-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Sorry if I offended. Just didn't want to make assumptions as I know plenty of women contribute to this board.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 02:24 PM

One person from his dorm? Let's see what others might say. I'd hate be be judged by the comment of one guy from my dorm, wouldn't you?

flyingdutchdevil
02-15-2017, 02:24 PM
One person from his dorm? Let's see what others might say. I'd hate be be judged by the comment of one guy from my dorm, wouldn't you?

I have pretty damn good judgment, thank you very much.

flyingdutchdevil
02-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Sorry if I offended. Just didn't want to make assumptions as I know plenty of women contribute to this board.

I'm being facetious. I don't get offended by being called a girl.

Henderson
02-15-2017, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing from a mod along the lines of "The poster asked a non-political question about a Duke alum's interest in basketball. If you don't have anything to add, don't post."

IrishDevil
02-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Also knew Miller from freshman dorm, etc., and I second FDD - no interest in Duke basketball.

CDu
02-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with the thread staying open (I'm generally opposed to locking threads except in extreme cases). I just don't think you're going to get a more definitive answer than the ones you have already gotten.

But, feel free to hope for a more close contact than flyingdutchdevil on this board.

davekay1971
02-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Incidentally, a disinterest in sports is exactly what I would've predicted. People who are very political/ideological tend to spend the bulk of their time thinking about politics and ideology. They would actually sneer at us sports fans usually. "Hey, enjoy watching your sportsball." In this case, "bounceball."

But is that true? US presidents have a long history and strong sports enthusiasm (and participation). Obama was a basketball but, Nixon loved football, the Bushes were baseball and football guys, Ford, of course, played at Michigan, etc... And Reggie Love, obviously, played at Duke and talked enthusiastically about his admiration for Obama as a man, and for his politics. I think there are plenty of "politics nerds" in Washington, but also plenty of folks for whom politics and sports are equal passions!

killerleft
02-15-2017, 02:45 PM

I'm a little prudish. Can't we stick to politics around here?

budwom
02-15-2017, 02:46 PM

W owned a baseball team.

Apropos to that, a lot of politicians like to SAY they're fans of the local teams while not knowing jack squat about them. There was an epically funny clip of Prez Nixon praising "that passer" from Texas, truly great stuff.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Apropos to that, a lot of politicians like to SAY they're fans of the local teams while not knowing jack squat about them. There was an epically funny clip of Prez Nixon praising "that passer" from Texas, truly great stuff.

The play he drew up for the Redskins to run lost a handful of yards the one time it was tried.

Nixon, famously for us, was at the Duke-Arizona basketball game in the Meadowlands when Laettner missed a key free throw at the end that could have won the game. Nixon went to the Duke locker and told him -- "Don't worry son. I've blown the big one too" (Or something like that).

Jimmy Carter is a fixture at Braves games. And was a huge Allman Brothers fan -- but that's another story.

Woodrow Wilson, I hear, did not like sports.

rasputin
02-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Because different people find different questions to be interesting. For example, let's say Hendo really hates Miller's politics. He might find it somewhat interesting to know whether this person he dislikes so much had shared the same experience as a Cameron Crazy or the same interest in Duke basketball. Maybe they even stood next to each other in the bleachers at some point.

Based on this, Hendo came here and asked the question. And, not surprisingly, he found his answers:

There are many, many regular posters to this Board who are both "very political/ideological" and huge sports fans. The former PPB and the 2016 election thread on the OTB testify to that.

Bluedog
02-15-2017, 02:52 PM

I think it was the Republican Debate with Romney and somebody else a while back when asked "what would you be doing tonight if you weren't here?" The answer: "Watching college football and the great thing that's going on" or something along those lines. His opponent then agreed with that -- that he'd be watching football. What month was it? March. ;)

DukeFanSince1990
02-15-2017, 02:53 PM

This guy knows how to party.

El_Diablo
02-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Woodrow Wilson, I hear, did not like sports.

Woodrow Wilson was a sports fan. He played baseball (second base) and helped form the "Lightfoot Baseball Club" as a kid, which apparently gave rise to his interest in politics:

While living in the house, Wilson formed the Lightfoot Baseball Club with friends and served as its president. He wrote a constitution and bylaws and conducted the meetings according to Parliamentary Procedure in the carriage house. This started his lifelong fascination with governing and political science, culminating in the U.S. Presidency and formation of the League of Nations.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/augusta/wilsonhouse.html

dyedwab
02-15-2017, 03:04 PM
I would be shocked if that data were available. Obviously, I can't prove it. Just my own personal observations over many years.

I didn't say politicians generally aren't big sports fans. I said people who are very political or ideological. Getting into the difference would lead us down the PPB road.

I disagree with this point. I work in politics and find that, disproportionately compared to other aspects of my life, there are a lot of passionate sports fans. Leaving aside ideology for the moment, politics has a lot of zero-sum wins and losses, just like sports. Passion in politics also requires a level a detailed knowledge that also manifests itself among rabid sports fans. Plus, both are very, very competitive.

And I know a lot of people in politics whose primary distraction from the very intense, very long hours they work is watching Sports Center, reading box scores, and making time to watch games.

So, YMMV, but this is my experience.

rasputin
02-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Woodrow Wilson was a sports fan. He played baseball (second base) and helped form the "Lightfoot Baseball Club" as a kid, which apparently gave rise to his interest in politics:

While living in the house, Wilson formed the Lightfoot Baseball Club with friends and served as its president. He wrote a constitution and bylaws and conducted the meetings according to Parliamentary Procedure in the carriage house. This started his lifelong fascination with governing and political science, culminating in the U.S. Presidency and formation of the League of Nations.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/augusta/wilsonhouse.html

Woodrow Wilson was also a football coach at Princeton.

Wander
02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
I think it was the Republican Debate with Romney and somebody else a while back when asked "what would you be doing tonight if you weren't here?" The answer: "Watching college football and the great thing that's going on" or something along those lines. His opponent then agreed with that -- that he'd be watching football. What month was it? March. ;)

I was going to bring up that moment too. Gingrich said he'd be watching the championship college basketball game (the question was asked in January). Then Santorum and Romney corrected it to say they'd be watching the college football championship game that night (the football game wasn't that night). I don't remember anybody on the stage even picking up on the mistake.

So I tend to agree with Troublemaker that most politicians tend to find themselves above sports (of course, they have to PRETEND to like sports, but that's another story). There are exceptions, like Obama who I think genuinely loves college basketball. I don't think there's any trend as a function of political party on this one.

Troublemaker
02-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I disagree with this point. I work in politics and find that, disproportionately compared to other aspects of my life, there are a lot of passionate sports fans. Leaving aside ideology for the moment, politics has a lot of zero-sum wins and losses, just like sports. Passion in politics also requires a level a detailed knowledge that also manifests itself among rabid sports fans. Plus, both are very, very competitive.

And I know a lot of people in politics whose primary distraction from the very intense, very long hours they work is watching Sports Center, reading box scores, and making time to watch games.

Good post.

Alright, forget I said it.

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 03:22 PM

I can honestly say that my interest in politics and Duke basketball are both what would be considered to be 99th percentile.

I imagine a great many PoliSci/Econ/Public policy majors are in the same camp as I.

That being said, I had no idea stephen Miller Is a Dukie. What do we know about his time at Duke? When was he there? Fraternity? Extra-curriculars? Major?

What's his sign?

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 03:27 PM

And famously, Romney did say he enjoyed "Sport"

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 03:28 PM

Did you work with/for George W? He was a SportCenter fan, I believe.

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Woodrow Wilson was also a football coach at Princeton.

Wasn't he also famous for kicking a football made out of a cocnut through uprights formed by the necks of Giraffes?

flyingdutchdevil
02-15-2017, 03:35 PM
I can honestly say that my interest in politics and Duke basketball are both what would be considered to be 99th percentile.

I imagine a great many PoliSci/Econ/Public policy majors are in the same camp as I.

That being said, I had no idea stephen Miller Is a Dukie. What do we know about his time at Duke? When was he there? Fraternity? Extra-curriculars? Major?

What's his sign?

I wasn't going to comment, but I figured I would. I am trying to be 100% objective here. It's not easy.

-No fraternity, no living group
-He wasn't a loner, but he didn't have many friends. He wasn't awkward but rather didn't engage unless you engaged with him first
-He is a friendly guy when you converse with him
-His ideology was very apparent during his freshman to senior years
-He was (is) fantastic at debating
-I had plenty of friends who were part of Republican club(s). They would distance themselves from Stephen because his ideology was often too right from their own

SIDE NOTE: One thing I loved about Duke - and I wonder if this is still the case - is how apolitical it was compared to over top-notch schools. Democrat and Republican clubs existed, but they weren't powerful nor highly attended. Students didn't make friendships because of ideology. As a matter of fact, more people (like myself) bonded due to our dislike for politics. That has changed as I've gotten older, but I thought it was a great thing about attending Duke.

DrChainsaw
02-15-2017, 03:54 PM

What's his sign?

I didn't even KNOW Steve Miller went to Duke. There's nothing in his discography that would suggest being a Duke fan, except maybe Born 2B Blue, and that was pretty late in his career.

Go figure.

NYBri
02-15-2017, 04:01 PM
I prefer playing time threads and vigils to this one dedicated to this so-called person.

Over and out. See you all on another thread.

Let's go DUKE!

rthomas
02-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I wasn't going to comment, but I figured I would. I am trying to be 100% objective here. It's not easy.

-No fraternity, no living group
-He wasn't a loner, but he didn't have many friends. He wasn't awkward but rather didn't engage unless you engaged with him first
-He is a friendly guy when you converse with him
-His ideology was very apparent during his freshman to senior years
-He was (is) fantastic at debating
-I had plenty of friends who were part of Republican club(s). They would distance themselves from Stephen because his ideology was often too right from their own

SIDE NOTE: One thing I loved about Duke - and I wonder if this is still the case - is how apolitical it was compared to over top-notch schools. Democrat and Republican clubs existed, but they weren't powerful nor highly attended. Students didn't make friendships because of ideology. As a matter of fact, more people (like myself) bonded due to our dislike for politics. That has changed as I've gotten older, but I thought it was a great thing about attending Duke.

He must have spent a great deal of his time learning how not to blink his eyes.

weezie
02-15-2017, 04:26 PM

Now those are some sobering words...

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Now those are some sobering words...

There are a disproportionate number of posters out here from my dorm/time period.

We could tell stories, or could also adhere to the cold-war period military strategy of Mutually Assured Distruction :)

davekay1971
02-15-2017, 04:33 PM
I prefer playing time threads and vigils to this one dedicated to this so-called person.

Over and out. See you all on another thread.

Let's go DUKE!

Wait! You can't drop that bomb and go! So-called person?!?! What are you saying? Is he a space alien? Or a robot? Blade Runner was set in 2017 wasn't it? (Props to me if I nailed that, btw, because I am going from memory, not checking the web). Is he a replicant? Would he pass the Voit Comp? Or would he pull a Leon and end the test Leon style? Was he a human at Duke, then killed and replaced by a robot?

This thread just got much more interesting. And, btw, if he was a robot at Duke, I'd have preferred him to be built to run a 3.8 40, strong enough to plow down defensive linemen, and put on the football team.

Addendum: crap. Blade Runner was set in 2019.

FadedTackyShirt
02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
I was going to bring up that moment too. Gingrich said he'd be watching the championship college basketball game (the question was asked in January). Then Santorum and Romney corrected it to say they'd be watching the college football championship game that night (the football game wasn't that night). I don't remember anybody on the stage even picking up on the mistake.

So I tend to agree with Troublemaker that most politicians tend to find themselves above sports (of course, they have to PRETEND to like sports, but that's another story). There are exceptions, like Obama who I think genuinely loves college basketball. I don't think there's any trend as a function of political party on this one.

Was in New Hampshire during the NFL playoffs and the weekend before the CFB championship game.

Ted Cruz was worse in Indiana in 2016. IN was his last stand and he tried to recreate a scene from Hoosiers. Elaborate stagecraft with a flunkie measuring the height of the rim in a high school gym. Cruz gagged on the money line and called it a basketball "ring".

Never a good idea to blatantly pander, but especially bad when you let your intended audience know you're clueless.

moonpie23
02-15-2017, 05:31 PM
he looks like bobby hurley

kAzE
02-15-2017, 05:34 PM
he looks like bobby hurley

Stephen Colbert described him as a "young Gargamel"

MChambers
02-15-2017, 05:36 PM
I didn't even KNOW Steve Miller went to Duke. There's nothing in his discography that would suggest being a Duke fan, except maybe Born 2B Blue, and that was pretty late in his career.

Go figure.

Did anyone call him the Gangster of Love?

jwillfan
02-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Jimmy Carter is a fixture at Braves games. And was a huge Allman Brothers fan -- but that's another story.

That reminded me of this, starting at the 2:50 mark: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/ask-president-carter/n8649?snl=1

Thanks!

rasputin
02-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Did anyone call him the Gangster of Love?

No, but some people called him Maurice.