PDA

View Full Version : AL Championship Series

YmoBeThere
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
A long sports day(Duke-VA Tech football game in person, the Cocks beating the TarHoles while eating a bite at a local sports bar known for well...,Vandy-UGA on TV, a NNC win by Jeff Gordon just to the south of my temporary location in Burlington) capped by the Sox blowing one in the 11th. Gagne has not done well as anything other than the closer...

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-15-2007, 01:55 PM
That CJG fumble was painful. Like many Vandy games in the past, I was fooled into believing that we'd win (that win could have nicely set us up for a bowl!).

And then we fumbled and UGa drives 70 yrds the other way for a FG. ARGGGGH.

Karl Beem
10-15-2007, 02:22 PM
A long sports day(Duke-VA Tech football game in person, the Cocks beating the TarHoles while eating a bite at a local sports bar known for well...,Vandy-UGA on TV, a NNC win by Jeff Gordon just to the south of my temporary location in Burlington) capped by the Sox blowing one in the 11th. Gagne has not done well as anything other than the closer...

From the playbyplay (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=271013102):
E Gagne relieved J Papelbon.
C Blake struck out swinging.
G Sizemore singled to right.
A Cabrera walked, G Sizemore to second.
T Nixon hit for J Barfield.
J Lopez relieved E Gagne.

The Tribe proceeded to score 7 runs. This is being dumped on Gagne?

EarlJam
10-15-2007, 03:07 PM
From the playbyplay (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=271013102):
E Gagne relieved J Papelbon.
C Blake struck out swinging.
G Sizemore singled to right.
A Cabrera walked, G Sizemore to second.
T Nixon hit for J Barfield.
J Lopez relieved E Gagne.

For what it's worth, I can see this argument going both ways. I mean, if Gagne would have taken care of his batters, then Lopez would have never had to come in and the opportunity to score 7 runs would have never presented itself. Also, there was momentum gained by Gagne putting all those runners on base. Blame: Gagne.

Then again, to your point, the other guys came out of the Bullpen and really stunk it up. Blame: Lopez and others.

But it all could have been avoided had Gagne gotten three outs. He just couldn't do so.

-EarlJam, who predicts Colorado to go 152 - 10 next season.

DevilAlumna
10-15-2007, 03:48 PM
It was a bad weekend indeed for this Duke/Vandy/Nebraska/Seahawks fan.... :(

Go, (ummmm, I'm afraid whomever I cheer for next will lose....) D-Backs?

YmoBeThere
10-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Well, yes in a way. Gagne has become the local whipping boy due to his other failures. I prefer to lay this at the feet of Theo Epstein who went out and got him(and paid out all his bonuses up front), however Theo doesn't throw the little round object from the pitchers mound to the plate. The night before, Gagne loaded the bases with a 10-3 lead.

YmoBeThere
10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
It was a bad weekend indeed for this Duke/Vandy/Nebraska/Seahawks fan.... :(

Go, (ummmm, I'm afraid whomever I cheer for next will lose....) D-Backs?

Yeah, as a Duke/Vandy/Cowboys/(part time D-backs) fan, it wasn't great for me either. I wonder, should Callahan be looking for a job? Be he is glad to have that 5-year extension in hand...

throatybeard
10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Kenny Lofton is 40?

But he told Chris Myers he feels 25. I believe it.

YmoBeThere
10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Tribe up 2-1 in the series, I didn't see that coming...

jkidd31
10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I do not want to anger the Weaux Gods so I won't mention any specifics....but man Cleveland is due for a championship in anything.

As for Kenny Lofton, I was glad to see the Tribe pick him up for the stretch run because he was one of my favorites on the teams in the 90's and this team needed some veterns on it. But he has played amazing in the playoffs. Hitting him at 7 is like having another leadoff hitter in the bottom of your lineup. I hope he's back next year to play left field because he's still got it.

DevilAlumna
10-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, as a Duke/Vandy/Cowboys/(part time D-backs) fan, it wasn't great for me either. I wonder, should Callahan be looking for a job? Be he is glad to have that 5-year extension in hand...

Well, the AD who came on in 2003 from Pitt, was responsible for firing a moderately successful Solich and commencing a one-man search for Callahan, just got canned, so maybe Callahan's safe for now.

dukehoopsgirl
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Well, yes in a way. Gagne has become the local whipping boy due to his other failures. I prefer to lay this at the feet of Theo Epstein who went out and got him(and paid out all his bonuses up front), however Theo doesn't throw the little round object from the pitchers mound to the plate. The night before, Gagne loaded the bases with a 10-3 lead.

Yes, the responsibility lies with Gagne. There's also a great deal of responsibility to be had with Francona's decision to start him in the 11th. Throughout Gagne's regular-season woes with the Sox (and there were several), Francona reiterated that he would continue to give Gagne the ball in late-inning situations. Unfortunately, it's now the post-season! After the trouble he had in Friday's game, I was very frustrated that Francona went with him again on Saturday. Gagne just hasn't proven that he can get it done with the Sox!

tombrady
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes, the responsibility lies with Gagne. There's also a great deal of responsibility to be had with Francona's decision to start him in the 11th. Throughout Gagne's regular-season woes with the Sox (and there were several), Francona reiterated that he would continue to give Gagne the ball in late-inning situations. Unfortunately, it's now the post-season! After the trouble he had in Friday's game, I was very frustrated that Francona went with him again on Saturday. Gagne just hasn't proven that he can get it done with the Sox!

The Gagne trade (depending on how Murphy, Ramirez, and Gabbard perform over the next decade) has the potential to be one of the worst trades of all time. This is not hyperbole.

Gagne single-handedly cost the red sox at least 4 regular season games -- games they were winning when he came in and were losing when he left.

Gagne has had a definite negative value to the Red Sox this year, and game 2 was more of that. Technically, the red sox should get extra players for taking Gagne.

The fault lies with Theo.

I fu&king hate Cleveland right now. What a bunch of drum beating, towel waving losers.

billybreen
10-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I ******* hate Cleveland right now. What a bunch of drum beating, towel waving losers.

Well, technically they aren't the losers.

hc5duke
10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Well, technically they aren't the losers.

Off topic, I never understood why people wave white towels at sports games (including the crazy towel guy)... too much like you're waving a white flag for surrender.

Karl Beem
10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Off topic, I never understood why people wave white towels at sports games (including the crazy towel guy)... too much like you're waving a white flag for surrender.

I think Steeler fans started it with their "Terrible Towels". It does look great on HDTV.

EarlJam
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I think Steeler fans started it with their "Terrible Towels". It does look great on HDTV.

I think it looks cool too. One point: After a promotion where fans were given mostly white T-Shirts, I heard a baseball player years ago say that the white shirts distracted the outfielders, made it harder to see low flies and line drives (easily lost in the white shirts). I was wondering last night if the white towels created the same problem for Indians and Red Sox outfielders.

-Earljam

jkidd31
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
The Gagne trade (depending on how Murphy, Ramirez, and Gabbard perform over the next decade) has the potential to be one of the worst trades of all time. This is not hyperbole.

Gagne single-handedly cost the red sox at least 4 regular season games -- games they were winning when he came in and were losing when he left.

Gagne has had a definite negative value to the Red Sox this year, and game 2 was more of that. Technically, the red sox should get extra players for taking Gagne.

The fault lies with Theo.

I fu&king hate Cleveland right now. What a bunch of drum beating, towel
waving losers.

Gee that member of the Red Sox nation who revile the Yankees and say aren't we good guys because we don't spend as much as the Yankees? Boston has become the Yankees as a great atricle on Fox Sports writes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7323070

The Red Sox had their chance when they got CC and Fausto out before 5 innings and can only manage a split of those games in Boston. CC has been awful so far in the playoffs and I really don't think the SOx can count on another bad performance tomorrow night.

And based on your signature I assume you are a Pats fan? We'll all I can say for the Pats is I hope Peyton Manning carves them up in two weeks like he did in the second half of the playoff game. The game is in Indy so the Pats won't be able to short out the opponents head sets, plus Manning can call the whole game at the line anyway.

jkidd31
10-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Tombrady-Also do you "F'ing hate Cleveland just" because they are out playing Boston or because the are doing it for about $80 million less?

Boston could still come back and win this series, but I think this years as well as previous years goes to show you can still win without spending insane amounts of money. Both Ariaonz and Colorado's payrolls are lower then the Indians.

tombrady
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Gee that member of the Red Sox nation who revile the Yankees and say aren't we good guys because we don't spend as much as the Yankees? Boston has become the Yankees as a great atricle on Fox Sports writes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7323070

The Red Sox had their chance when they got CC and Fausto out before 5 innings and can only manage a split of those games in Boston. CC has been awful so far in the playoffs and I really don't think the SOx can count on another bad performance tomorrow night.

And based on your signature I assume you are a Pats fan? We'll all I can say for the Pats is I hope Peyton Manning carves them up in two weeks like he did in the second half of the playoff game. The game is in Indy so the Pats won't be able to short out the opponents head sets, plus Manning can call the whole game at the line anyway.

Moving past the point that this post was incredibly difficult to read, I don't even know where to begin ripping it apart.

a) I won't even get into the difference between the red sox and yankees, but I'll point to Bobby Abreu last year as an example. Both teams wanted him. The yankees were able to get him because they could give up worthless prospects and take on Abreu's entire salary. The red sox could not get him because they could not afford to take on his entire salary, and would have to give away prime prospects. See how this works?

b) they "only managed a split" of the first 2 games with CC and Fausto going? I would say that is a success, not an "only." Would I have liked to win both? Of course. But this was "their chance?" I didn't know it was a 2 game series.

c) CC has been awful in the playoffs so far, so he's gonna be good in his next start? What the heck kind of logic is that? You defeat your own point.

d) Manning can carve up the Pats all he wants, it doesn't really matter when Tom Brady hangs 48 points up will it? Manning -- 1/2 of a game. Brady -- the rest of their careers. I'll take Brady. Cut that meat!

tombrady
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Tombrady-Also do you "F'ing hate Cleveland just" because they are out playing Boston or because the are doing it for about $80 million less?

Boston could still come back and win this series, but I think this years as well as previous years goes to show you can still win without spending insane amounts of money. Both Ariaonz and Colorado's payrolls are lower then the Indians.

I hate them because they are beating my team. If you don't understand this, you don't understand sports.

What is Ariaonz?

jkidd31
10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
I hate them because they are beating my team. If you don't understand this, you don't understand sports.

What is Ariaonz?

It's called working and typing at the same time.

I used to get all upset about my teams winning (broke a few things after Duke losses) but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. I like to see my teams win, but if they don't I still have to get up the next morning and go to work.

I might add this has only come to pass in the last couple years.

EarlJam
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
It's called working and typing at the same time.

I used to get all upset about my teams winning (broke a few things after Duke losses) but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. I like to see my teams win, but if they don't I still have to get up the next morning and go to work.

I might add this has only come to pass in the last couple years.

Back in 2002, I thought the same thing. I thought I had lost my "over the top" passion for my favorite teams winning or losing. I found out otherwise in March, after the missed Jason Williams free throw and ensuing non-foul call. Oh boy. I threw a fit. The passion was still there....in force.

Currently, I'd like to think I've matured to a certain degree, but I won't be able to say for certain until another heart-breaking, bone-crushing, defeat from the jaws of victory, loss in a big game.

-EarlJam

jkidd31
10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Moving past the point that this post was incredibly difficult to read, I don't even know where to begin ripping it apart.

a) I won't even get into the difference between the red sox and yankees, but I'll point to Bobby Abreu last year as an example. Both teams wanted him. The yankees were able to get him because they could give up worthless prospects and take on Abreu's entire salary. The red sox could not get him because they could not afford to take on his entire salary, and would have to give away prime prospects. See how this works?

b) they "only managed a split" of the first 2 games with CC and Fausto going? I would say that is a success, not an "only." Would I have liked to win both? Of course. But this was "their chance?" I didn't know it was a 2 game series.

c) CC has been awful in the playoffs so far, so he's gonna be good in his next start? What the heck kind of logic is that? You defeat your own point.

d) Manning can carve up the Pats all he wants, it doesn't really matter when Tom Brady hangs 48 points up will it? Manning -- 1/2 of a game. Brady -- the rest of their careers. I'll take Brady. Cut that meat!

a) What about Dice K...the Sox outbid the Yanks. Not to mnetion they are paying $14 Mill for JD Drew. The Indians tried playing the big money game in the late '90's to win it because they were so close and it ended up with guys like Brian Giles and Sean Casey playing well for other teams and signing Robbie Alomor and Chuck Finley to big contracts they came no where near earning.

b) My good friend is a huge Red Sox fan (orginally fronm the Boston) area and that is a direct quote from him. He feels the key moment in was Boston not taking better advantage of knocking Carmona out in game #2 and the Indians still coming back to tie. He also feels the Indians play has eliminated Papelbon from being a factor in the Series.

c) CC's numbers for the year were as good if not better then Beckett's. I'd have to say the odds are good he won't pitch another game that will be like the first two appearences in the playoffs. And as bad as he was against the Yankees Cleveland still won that game.

d) I'll take the bet on the Pats hanging 48 on Indy. I'll be surpised if either team scores 30. I think Indy will try to control the clock to keep NE off the field. There is no doubt these are the two best teams in football and should be the primetime game.

jkidd31
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Back in 2002, I thought the same thing. I thought I had lost my "over the top" passion for my favorite teams winning or losing. I found out otherwise in March, after the missed Jason Williams free throw and ensuing non-foul call. Oh boy. I threw a fit. The passion was still there....in force.

Currently, I'd like to think I've matured to a certain degree, but I won't be able to say for certain until another heart-breaking, bone-crushing, defeat from the jaws of victory, loss in a big game.

-EarlJam

My top ones are as follows:

UConn '04. James actually suspened my posting rights after that game because I was highly intoxicated and wrote some nasty stuff. Granted it was bad enough Duke lost the way they did, but that loss also cost me $350 because if Duke won I had 2nd place in a huge pool locked,

UConn '99, was at the game-enough said.

UK '98, Ouch

UNC Regular season '05. This was the game I went over the deep end. It was on my wifes birthdat and I was such an arse she said it was her worst birthday ever (beer powered again). I also said I didn't give a crap about my little boy who was a couple months old. It was after this and the fact I didn't remmeber saying any of it that I started realizing what was important.

tombrady
10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
a) What about Dice K...the Sox outbid the Yanks. Not to mnetion they are paying $14 Mill for JD Drew. The Indians tried playing the big money game in the late '90's to win it because they were so close and it ended up with guys like Brian Giles and Sean Casey playing well for other teams and signing Robbie Alomor and Chuck Finley to big contracts they came no where near earning.

The Mets outbid the Yankees also. If the Yankees really wanted to, they could have poured as much money as the others. They just didn't anticipate the demand, or didn't have as much counterintel as the other teams did. Just because they have a huge money advantage doesn't mean they would just waste it -- the bid was the bid, it wasn't reduced to just above the next closest or anything.

I don't know what the last '90s Indians have to do with the mid-2000 Red Sox. Should teams that have money not spend it? Seems to me, if my team had a competitive advantage gained from a) a big market b) a passionate market, and c) recent success driving sales, then I would want them to spend spend spend to make the team better, not sit on their profits (see: KC, Pitt, etc. and where they are).

b) My good friend is a huge Red Sox fan (orginally fronm the Boston) area and that is a direct quote from him. He feels the key moment in was Boston not taking better advantage of knocking Carmona out in game #2 and the Indians still coming back to tie. He also feels the Indians play has eliminated Papelbon from being a factor in the Series.

You typically pitch your best pitcher in key situations -- Papelbon has done this. The other games havn't really been close, so you don't use your best pitchers. Baseball 101.

c) CC's numbers for the year were as good if not better then Beckett's. I'd have to say the odds are good he won't pitch another game that will be like the first two appearences in the playoffs. And as bad as he was against the Yankees Cleveland still won that game.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

The RS offense needs to get back on track.

YmoBeThere
10-18-2007, 06:52 AM
More Manny being Manny...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgiV5NSA_hlthWzs2Gkj5rURvLYF?slug=ap-alcs&prov=ap&type=lgns

tombrady
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
More Manny being Manny...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgiV5NSA_hlthWzs2Gkj5rURvLYF?slug=ap-alcs&prov=ap&type=lgns

...which is just what this team needs if it is going to win 3 games. In 2004, they were loose as a goose and just let things happen -- no worries. Worked out pretty well.

The last thing they want to do is be all uptight and scared.

Beckett wins tonight, then we head back to Boston with Schilling going for game 6 -- I like our chances to get to a 7th game, where anything can happen.

throatybeard
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Manny being Manny is standing and admiring one's own solo HR while still trailing an ALCS game by 4 runs.

EarlJam
10-18-2007, 02:20 PM
In lieu of his comments, Manny should just show up at the game tonight about five minutes before first pitch, wasted, wearing his old Cleveland Indians uniform and carrying a wiffleball bat....

It will be interesting to see what the Cleveland fans come up with. If Tyler "don't tase me" Hansbrough had made similar comments about a game against Duke in the ACC Championship, the Crazies would slaughter him (metaphorically speaking).

-EarlJam

tombrady
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Manny being Manny is standing and admiring one's own solo HR while still trailing an ALCS game by 4 runs.

gotta admit, that was an absolute bomb to straight away center.

that said, yes, it was a bit excessive on the heels of a 7 run half-inning.

wiscodevil
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
never underestimate a hometown fans' ability to overlook things as long as a guy is playing well

tombrady
10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
never underestimate a hometown fans' ability to overlook things as long as a guy is playing well

are you KIDDING ME? manny has been absolutely DESTROYED by the boston media for being slow/an idiot/uncaring DESPITE playing at a hall of fame level for half a decade.

you have it all backward.

cato
10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
a) I won't even get into the difference between the red sox and yankees

Oh, please do. I bet there's an even bigger difference than between Duke and Carolina.

TillyGalore
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
are you KIDDING ME? manny has been absolutely DESTROYED by the boston media for being slow/an idiot/uncaring DESPITE playing at a hall of fame level for half a decade.

The Boston media (and some of it's fans, sorry tombrady) are a huge reason I don't miss Boston. The weather, of course, is another.

YmoBeThere
10-18-2007, 07:12 PM
The Boston media (and some of it's fans, sorry tombrady) are a huge reason I don't miss Boston. The weather, of course, is another.

The media is easy to ignore, the fans have been tolerable, but the weather can't be avoided.

wiscodevil
10-18-2007, 08:15 PM

I wasn't talking about the media. Controversy sells.

wiscodevil
10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
gotta admit, that was an absolute bomb to straight away center.

that said, yes, it was a bit excessive on the heels of a 7 run half-inning.

this is what I war referring to. A bit excessive?!? How about moronic? (And I actually usually kinda like Manny)

billybreen
10-18-2007, 09:13 PM
The media is easy to ignore, the fans have been tolerable, but the weather can't be avoided.

I _love_ Boston weather. Fall in New England is like nothing else. Locals tend to hate the winters, but I'll take them over 100 degrees and 100% humidity all summer in Charleston. Yuck.

TillyGalore
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Fall in New England is like nothing else.

Fall in New England is the only thing I miss. Billy have you been to Vermont yet? You haven't experienced fall until you've been to Vermont in October.

YmoBeThere
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Fall in New England is the only thing I miss. Billy have you been to Vermont yet? You haven't experienced fall until you've been to Vermont in October.

For someone new to the area, the fall has been good except that it feels almost like winter already(okay, only yesterday morning when it was 34F outside). A little hyperbole...

billybreen
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Yep, absolutely. Vermont rocks. We're also going to the Pumpkin Festival in Keane, NH (http://www.pumpkinfestival.org/) this weekend.

hc5duke
10-18-2007, 11:09 PM
I _love_ Boston weather. Fall in New England is like nothing else. Locals tend to hate the winters, but I'll take them over 100 degrees and 100% humidity all summer in Charleston. Yuck.

Hmm tough call... I lived in Troy, NY (next to Albany) for a year and a half, and that's where I realized there is nothing worse than negative Fahrenheit temperatures (before adding wind chill). I've been to Charleston in August, and yes, I'd much rather spend a whole summer in Charleston (or Houston, hotter + more humid) than winter in upstate NY (or Boston for that matter).

But for now I'll enjoy my Bay Area weather for as long as I can :)

billybreen
10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Hmm tough call... I lived in Troy, NY (next to Albany) for a year and a half, and that's where I realized there is nothing worse than negative Fahrenheit temperatures (before adding wind chill). I've been to Charleston in August, and yes, I'd much rather spend a whole summer in Charleston (or Houston, hotter + more humid) than winter in upstate NY (or Boston for that matter).

But for now I'll enjoy my Bay Area weather for as long as I can :)

There's no colder winter than a summer in San Francisco.

The way I see it, it's much easier to get warm when you are cold than to get cool when you are hot. You can put on as many layers as you need, but you can only take so much off. I'm always hot, though, so I probably have a skewed view on things.

hc5duke
10-18-2007, 11:56 PM
There's no colder winter than a summer in San Francisco.

The way I see it, it's much easier to get warm when you are cold than to get cool when you are hot. You can put on as many layers as you need, but you can only take so much off. I'm always hot, though, so I probably have a skewed view on things.

Yeah I wouldn't want to live in SF, I like it out here in East Bay - average high of 85F in the summer, average low of 40F in the winter.

I beg to differ about putting on layers - I distinctly remember waiting for a cab outside when it was -20F. It wasn't windy at ALL, I had shirt+shirt+sweatshirt+THICK jacket on top, long johns+sweat pants on at the time, and it was STILL cold!

billybreen
10-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I beg to differ about putting on layers - I distinctly remember waiting for a cab outside when it was -20F. It wasn't windy at ALL, I had shirt+shirt+sweatshirt+THICK jacket on top, long johns+sweat pants on at the time, and it was STILL cold!

Pansy :)

YmoBeThere
10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
As an aside, the ALCS heads back to Boston....

YmoBeThere
10-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Regarding weather, I used to have a job where I would spend 3-4 weeks in December, January or February in Brazil. I greatly enjoyed the summer in winter change(from my NC winters). These days, I try and arrange as many trips to Arizona and California during those same months...not the same thing but the best I can do.

throatybeard
10-19-2007, 09:40 AM
It's almost never -20 in Boston.

I was there for a conference in the dead of January in 2004, and the highs were 30-some degrees below normal, hanging around 5 with lows around -5. The newscasters said it was the coldest front they'd had in a decade.

Like New York, Boston isn't actually cold. It's on the water.

wilson
10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Color me terrified that the red sux are about to rip off another six wins in a row and take another Series. Yeccch.

tombrady
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Color me terrified that the red sux are about to rip off another six wins in a row and take another Series. Yeccch.

thats right b!tches. Down 3-2, we got Schilling going in Game 6 and then anything can happen in Game 7. Sounds like '04 to me.

Be scurred.

EarlJam
10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
thats right b!tches. Down 3-2, we got Schilling going in Game 6 and then anything can happen in Game 7. Sounds like '04 to me.

Be scurred.

Looking into my crystal ball, I too see visions of 2004, with Curt Schilling pitching better, bleeding more in game 6.....

(source: theonion.com)

-EarlJam

cato
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
It's almost never -20 in Boston.

I was there for a conference in the dead of January in 2004, and the highs were 30-some degrees below normal, hanging around 5 with lows around -5. The newscasters said it was the coldest front they'd had in a decade.

Like New York, Boston isn't actually cold. It's on the water.

I disagree. It may not be cold like Minnesota, Maine or North Dakota, but it gets plenty cold when a system moves down from Canada. In 2002, I spent almost the entire winter walking to class in the morning over ice. That is cold enough for me.

There are two things that really bother me about cold: 1) when you get in a car in the morning, and it's freezing, and it seems to take forever to warm up, and 2) the constant cycling between freezing and overheating that happens when you bundle up for the cold and then go inside somewhere.

cato
10-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Be scurred.

Who are you calling a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.?

EarlJam
10-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Who are you calling a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.?

Oh Hell! Here we go! It's ON!

hc5duke
10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I disagree. It may not be cold like Minnesota, Maine or North Dakota, but it gets plenty cold when a system moves down from Canada. In 2002, I spent almost the entire winter walking to class in the morning over ice. That is cold enough for me.

So... as usual, we can just blame Canada?

There are two things that really bother me about cold: 1) when you get in a car in the morning, and it's freezing, and it seems to take forever to warm up, and 2) the constant cycling between freezing and overheating that happens when you bundle up for the cold and then go inside somewhere.

1 - they have remote starters you can get for ~$30 and typically you can install it yourself, or a mechanic can probably do it for under $100. My old Volvo did pretty much what you expected of a Scandinavian car - heated up pretty fast, but the A/C never worked right.
2 - ditto.

throatybeard
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
2) the constant cycling between freezing and overheating that happens when you bundle up for the cold and then go inside somewhere.

That has to do with idiots overheating buildings, not with the cold itself.

hc5duke
10-19-2007, 02:14 PM

But if you had 0F outside and 65F inside, that's still 65 degrees jump.

tombrady
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
can't love the summer without the winter.

tombrady
10-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Fausto (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200607310.shtml) Carmona (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200608020.shtml).

billybreen
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Word to that. My trick is not to bundle up quite so much and to shed the nonessential as soon as I gey inside. Having a high tolerance for cold (I walk my dog in flip flops in the snow) helps.

cato
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Word to that. My trick is not to bundle up quite so much and to shed the nonessential as soon as I gey inside. Having a high tolerance for cold (I walk my dog in flip flops in the snow) helps.

That's a good trick. My trick was to move to San Diego.

billybreen
10-19-2007, 06:43 PM
That's a good trick. My trick was to move to San Diego.

Bah. I like seasons.

DevilAlumna
10-20-2007, 02:14 AM
A Duke roommate of mine was from Boston. I vowed never to move to that town the day she told me her mom was out shovelling snow... OFF THE ROOF.

It didn't help that I did my college "visit" trip through Beantown during a 20-year record low, in Jan. 91 (92?), not knowing that most (all?) Boston-area schools had a January term and most students weren't around.

A March visit to Duke was SOOO much more lovely! :D

tombrady
10-20-2007, 11:32 PM
game 7 I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es.

its gonna be a rowdy one.

EarlJam
10-20-2007, 11:36 PM
game 7 I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es.

its gonna be a rowdy one.

Cleveland "Drew" up the wrong game plan.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
10-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Guessing Headlines for tomorrow...

Moment of DREWth! Red Sox Force Game Seven!

Worth Every Schilling! Curt, Drew, Lead Sox

Not so Fausto! Series will go to Seven!

Roll the Dice! Yes Boston, there is a Game Seven!

Red Sox beat the Indians to Force Game Seven.

That's all I got right now. Yawner of a game but some exciting moments. The throw to the cranium during the run-down comes to mind.

-EarlJam

JasonEvans
10-21-2007, 07:57 AM
How about this headline:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071021/capt.8fa1070639334b89a941d754cdc5959f.alcs_indians _red_sox_baseball_bxf129.jpg
Heading to Game 7

Actually, the Boston Herald ran a "Isn't It Grand!" headline with a photo of JD Drew. The Globe went with the dull, "Red Sox Romp, Game 7 Awaits" Yawn!!

--Jason "this comeback by Boston was quite predictible to me... with Beckett and then a home game, I had a feeling game 7 was coming" Evans

dukehoopsgirl
10-21-2007, 04:08 PM
The throw to the cranium during the run-down comes to mind.

-EarlJam

What was humorous about that was Tim McCarver's assertion that Eric Wedge was arguing that Youklis had purposely put his head in the direction of the ball......I'd say if a baseball was coming at my head, I'd probably duck too! McCarver has always seemed anti-Sox - much like Billy Packer's announcing during Duke games.

YmoBeThere
10-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Bah. I like seasons.

Seasons can be overrated. I would like perpetual weather like today...mid 70's by 3:30. I'm gonna miss days like these.

EarlJam
10-21-2007, 08:03 PM
This atmosphere/set up is awesome. Ready to settle in for an ALCS classic battle! If I may attempt to communicate the sentiment of DBR's version of Tom Brady, "It's time to figure out who's the BEAST and who's the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!"

-EarlJam

EarlJam
10-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Holding Lofton at third!? OH brother.

-EarlJam

YmoBeThere
10-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Agreed, but Lofton trying to stretch the single off the wall into a double was also costly.

Karl Beem
10-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Agreed, but Lofton trying to stretch the single off the wall into a double was also costly.

You mean the bad call by the ump was costly.

YmoBeThere
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
True, but I wouldn't have wanted him to stretch it any way.

EarlJam
10-21-2007, 11:21 PM
True, but I wouldn't have wanted him to stretch it any way.

Bad call, yes....but also an AMAZING throw by Manny. It took a perfect throw to get that call.

Long fly to right-center as I type this to end the inning for Cleveland. So many chances. This has to be gut-wrenching and frustrating as hell for Indians fans.

-EarlJam

tombrady
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

Deslok
10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
But the Red Sox roll.

EarlJam
10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

Shouldn't that be "Cleveland ROCKED...Socked...Mocked...Topped and Mopped!?" Congratulations. Those guys are tough, most deserving.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
10-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Tom Brady and the Patriots well, they had a somewhat decent day as well. Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

-EarlJam

tombrady
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Tom Brady and the Patriots well, they had a somewhat decent day as well. Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

-EarlJam

wait till pierce, garnett, and allen start lighting up the Eastern Conference.

whoo boy.

EarlJam
10-22-2007, 12:25 AM
wait till pierce, garnett, and allen start lighting up the Eastern Conference.

whoo boy.

Not to mention Boston College in the BCS. Good times for Beantown sports INDEED!!!!!!

-EarlJam

jkidd31
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
This Series was over Thursday night when Boston won game 5. I watched the game with my Bo Sox friend and I told him congrats on making the Series. He was like there are still two games left. I've been a Cleveland fan two long and you could see this coming a mile away.

Props to Manny for saying what he said before game 5 becaused it really put the focus on him and not the rest of the team.

Duke4Ever32
10-29-2007, 12:29 AM

How prophetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BOSTON RED SOX - 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!