PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode #71: Duke beats UNC and we answer an email question

Dev11
02-14-2017, 08:54 AM
We somehow ended up with a lot of topics this week, so pardon what may feel like a three-way stream of consciousness.

Links:

iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps coming soon

dukelenoir
02-14-2017, 11:51 AM
We somehow ended up with a lot of topics this week, so pardon what may feel like a three-way stream of consciousness.

Links:

iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps coming soon

When Jason was talking about Duke fans that didn't go to Duke and mentioned "Herb-the tall thin guy", if he was talking about Herb Neubauer, the crazy towel guy, he did attend Duke in early-mid 1960s

JasonEvans
02-14-2017, 11:55 AM
When Jason was talking about Duke fans that didn't go to Duke and mentioned "Herb-the tall thin guy", if he was talking about Herb Neubauer, the crazy towel guy, he did attend Duke in early-mid 1960s

Thanks, my bad. I thought I had heard from someone that he as not an alum... not that it really matters. A fan is a fan and we are all on the same team!

Dukelogger
02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks, my bad. I thought I had heard from someone that he as not an alum... not that it really matters. A fan is a fan and we are all on the same team!

I get asked that quite frequently, mostly from Carowhina fans, "as an alum aren't you're annoyed by all of your bandwagon fans?" I can only speak for myself but to answer the question "heck no!" and especially here in NC I appreciate all the allies I can muster up. Just don't jump off when the going gets tough and try to make a football game once in a while!

brumby041
02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
I get asked that quite frequently, mostly from Carolina fans, "as an alum aren't you're annoyed by all of your bandwagon fans?" I can only speak for myself but to answer the question "heck no!" and especially here in NC I appreciate all the allies I can muster up. Just don't jump off when the going gets tough and try to make a football game once in a while!

Wait - you got grief from a Carolina fan about bandwagon fans? That's pretty rich!

OldPhiKap
02-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Wait - you got grief from a Carolina fan about bandwagon fans? That's pretty rich!

Well, you see, they're born and bred. Has nothing to do with a school distributing watered-down diplomas.

JasonEvans
02-14-2017, 01:21 PM
I thought Donald made an excellent point on the pod when he said there are only about 100,000 Duke alums in the world and yet our games are among the most-watched in all of college hoops. Even against bad opponents who would not otherwise draw a large audience, ESPN gets around a million people to watch a Duke game (multiples of that if it is a high-profile matchup). That says to me that the non-alum Duke fans far, far, far outnumber the fans who actually went to Duke.

-Jason "thanks to Stephen for a great question which led to a compelling conversation" Evans

OldPhiKap
02-14-2017, 01:28 PM
I thought Donald made an excellent point on the pod when he said there are only about 100,000 Duke alums in the world and yet our games are among the most-watched in all of college hoops. Even against bad opponents who would not otherwise draw a large audience, ESPN gets around a million people to watch a Duke game (multiples of that if it is a high-profile matchup). That says to me that the non-alum Duke fans far, far, far outnumber the fans who actually went to Duke.

-Jason "thanks to Stephen for a great question which led to a compelling conversation" Evans

That's assuming that the majority of people tuning in are rooting us on to victory. I am sure a lot of those eyes have bad intent.

But you are absolutely right that Duke basketball's fans far exceed the alumni base. Now, we need to get the football program moving into that direction -- if even a reasonable fraction thereof.

DukeDevil
02-14-2017, 02:47 PM
I'd just like to point out that the podcast didn't scout Clemson ahead of time IIRC. I believe that the cause of the 2nd half meltdown was due to a lack of a scouting report for the team. How are K and company going to get the team ready without it? This lack of preparation is unacceptable. Given how much we're paying you guys to get this done I think you need to step it up.

BandAlum83
02-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Don't forget these 100,000 alum have Mom's and Dads who have vested interests in being fans as well. Mine were faithful fans to the end :)

Duke is family!

(OF course I do have a somewhat bitter brother who loves to hate Duke also)

-jk
02-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Yeah - lots of non-alums around here, all quite welcome! Heck, Julian isn't an alum...

-jk

BluDvlsN1
02-14-2017, 05:16 PM
I thought I had heard from someone that he as not an alum... not that it really matters. A fan is a fan and we are all on the same team!

In the unlikely event anyone is interested or ever asked themselves, who is this guy? ;)

I’ve often wondered how non alumni were accepted as fans. I have my own set of reasons for being a fan but it’s lengthy. (actually this is the shorter version)

I grew up in NE Ohio, the youngest of 5, by a long shot.

When I grew to love basketball a bit more than football I didn’t figure it out till later in life, why.

I like all sports but have an affinity to quick transition sports, Basketball,Tennis, Soccer, Volleyball etc,

I still very much like baseball, football, love golf, swimming,etc.

In the 60’s I was very much in the I live in the geography so this must be my team, sports trap.

Ohio and Pennsylvania sports teams.

There were 3 years before the NCAA tournament expanded that Ohio St and Cincinnati would be the eventual national champions.

Through that I followed Lucas, Havlicek, Big O,and later Bobby Knight I was also following Pitt and Duquesne, at the time, in college sports.

Watching the tournaments and games, I came to appreciate some of the non regional sports teams, that’s where it began for me.

My older brother had to take me to geography school, because I was confusing at time Duke (Art Heyman era) and Duquesne (Willie Somerset era). I liked both but was only phoenetically correct sometimes when I would talk to him about a particular game or team .

Fast forward, If being regional or Alumni carried any of the weight for me, UCLA would be more likely my #1 team as that is where I went to school, but it’s not.

Gene Bartow wasn’t the reason I stepped away, but it was Larry Brown and Harrick that sealed that deal. Even though by Harrick, I was already full time in the Mike K camp proving to me my choice was correct. The values of the Wodden era were, history.

When I read the article outlining the Knight/Krzyewski relationship and values, and Coach K being recommended for the Duke job thats where I signed on full time.

By then I was in management in my career and had developed the habit of following coaches, team building and value systems.

Regarding Mike, the rest as they say…is history…. and still in the making.

It was/is fun being the basketball antichrist in some areas, they can all stew in their own juices, we do it right.

It is a student/athlete doctrine and that’s a value system I buy into. Take care of the well being of those,that are in your care.

So no, BluDvlsN1 is not an alum and the reason for the N1, is that for most of my pre DBR days, it was me and Duke against the haters,
DBR opened me up to kindred spirits.

So I’m not an Alum, but I do have some tenure, so to speak.:D

JasonEvans
02-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Yeah - lots of non-alums around here, all quite welcome! Heck, Julian isn't an alum...

Yup, I mentioned that on the pod (I'm sure you listened, right -jk?).

UrinalCake
02-14-2017, 10:16 PM
My take is that I would absolutely welcome a non-alum who wants to be a Duke fan. Honestly, I think the requirement that you have to be an alum is something that feeds into the view of Duke as being elitist which many opposing fanbases have. If you voluntarily choose to root for Duke and by association become a target of the hatred that so many have towards Duke, then more power to you!

With that said, my criteria for measuring a "true" fan is whether or not you continue to support your team when they aren't doing well. If you became a Duke fan in 1992, jumped ship in 1995, and then became a fan again in 1999, then I don't consider you a true fan. If you stopped watching during the Paulus/Hansbrough years and then started watching again when Kyrie Irving became an all-star then you are dead to me. Being a true Duke fan means you support your team no matter what, and that includes the inevitable downturn that will happen when K retires.

I enjoyed the recap of the UNC game and agree that it felt like we were in control even when the score kept getting tied. It felt like we were playing our game, which does involve shooting a lot of threes, while we were forcing them out of what they like to do and making them take a lot of contested jump shots. They were hitting them, but it felt like if we kept doing what we were doing then eventually they would stop hitting them because they aren't naturally a good shooting team. Also, I don't think you stressed enough how significant it was that Hicks didn't play with respect to rebounding. With him in the game, likely guarded by Tatum, there's no way we out-rebound them. On the flip side, I don't think Hicks would hit the same outside jumpshots that Maye hit, but it would have been a much different game.

Thanks for bringing up the CHeat academic scandal and keeping it in the forefront. Like Jason, I grew up really respecting the rivalry and respecting UNC as a school, even though I wanted to beat them I saw them as a really good school and a program that did things the right way. The fact that they were cheating the whole time is a huge slap in the face, and everything they have done since the cheating was exposed has been worse than the cheating itself. I will offer one counter to Jason's point about Penn State though, I believe they actually appealed the NCAA's decision and had their punishment reduced. So they didn't exactly accept everything the NCAA handed down as Jason suggested, but I do give them credit for actually conducting a real, independent investigation into what happened as opposed to UNC's Wainstein Report which was deliberately narrow in scope and intentionally structured to place all of the blame on two people, or the previous Martin report which was a complete clown show. Anyways, I appreciate Jason using one of his parting shots on the scandal because I feel that UNC's strategy has been to continually delay and deflect so that the general public becomes tired of it. If we as Duke fans get to the point where we say "I don't care anymore, just get it over with" then we are falling right into the hands of what UNC and their high-priced PR firm wants.

On a technical note, after breathing a sigh of relief in the previous podcast when Jason nicely leveled the volume of the pep band in post-processing, I was once again blasted by the ear-piercing loudness in this one. And a couple times when Sam was talking there was noticable breathing into someone else's mike, which hadn't been muted. Not a big deal and I really don't want to complain because you guys do an awesome job and I know it takes a ton of work to put this together. Thanks as always!

BluDvlsN1
02-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Comment:

Prior to my post above, I had read the thread only.

The comments regarding fans/alums triggered a long nagging question
I had about how non Dukies, were perceived as fans.

Then I made the time to listen to the podcast, the best hour
I invested yesterday. I found the analysis of teams and games
insightful.

The whole discussion on Alums and non Alums being fans
has really put my above mentioned nagging question to rest.

I would have lost a lot if there was a trivia bet on the number of
actual alums.

Truly, if the fan base were based on Alums, friends, family, staff,
it most certainly would be a significantly smaller base.

Thanks for putting that in perspective and to rest.

Very well stated fellas.

To all fellow DBR'ers, if you have not listened to the podcast,
I encourage you to invest the time.

Correction:

There was an egregious typo in my post above.

Clearly it is "Wooden"

With my old fat, tired fingers, there are times (too many),:rolleyes:
that I would love to have the permanent edit option.

Mea Culpa.

The Gordog
02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

That might be true if you qualify it as undergrad alums. If you include grad a professional schools I would wager the number is north of 225,000.

kAzE
02-15-2017, 12:40 PM
With that said, my criteria for measuring a "true" fan is whether or not you continue to support your team when they aren't doing well. If you became a Duke fan in 1992, jumped ship in 1995, and then became a fan again in 1999, then I don't consider you a true fan. If you stopped watching during the Paulus/Hansbrough years and then started watching again when Kyrie Irving became an all-star then you are dead to me. Being a true Duke fan means you support your team no matter what, and that includes the inevitable downturn that will happen when K retires

I think this part is a bit contradictory to the rest of your post. For every sports team, there are loyal fans who stick with the team through thick and thin, and of course, bandwagon fans who come and go. Both are fine in my opinion. I don't think less of anyone who didn't stick around in 1995. Maybe they just had other priorities in life at the time and didn't want to watch their favorite team lose. And honestly, I think that's okay.

Sure, you can label them however you want, but there's no reason to disparage them or consider them "dead." The fact is, as long as we support the team together at some point, we're all Duke fans. Like the guys in the podcast said, there's around 100,000-200,000 Duke alums in the world. That's not very many to begin with, and a good chunk of those alums aren't really into sports. I'll take Duke supporters where I can get them, even if they are only around when we are good. I think it's a bit "elitist" to exclude those fans. It's fine that some of us are more invested than others. Those of us who are "true" fans can carry that distinction with pride, but I'm happy to root for the team with bandwagoners. Everyone has to determine their own level of commitment.

As for the pod . . . I enjoyed the content as always, but I agree that the Duke band drop that plays between segments was SUPER loud, like, probably at risk of causing traffic accidents. Let's reign that in a bit for next week, shall we? :)

blazindw
02-15-2017, 12:48 PM
On a technical note, after breathing a sigh of relief in the previous podcast when Jason nicely leveled the volume of the pep band in post-processing, I was once again blasted by the ear-piercing loudness in this one. And a couple times when Sam was talking there was noticable breathing into someone else's mike, which hadn't been muted. Not a big deal and I really don't want to complain because you guys do an awesome job and I know it takes a ton of work to put this together. Thanks as always!

This week is on me...I did the editing and had to rush through some of it to get it out in time for Valentine's Day (where I was off the grid the entire day). I'm not nearly as good an editor as Jason is with these things. Things to work on for next time!

Lid
02-15-2017, 03:01 PM
I enjoyed this week's pod, too, and wanted to throw in my two cents about the alum/non-alum fan question.

I grew up a Duke fan in eastern NC, with no familial association -- just preferred Duke's style over Four Corners, liked its academic reputation, and had a minor crush on Jim Spanarkel as a kid. There is NOTHING to cement your fandom like being the only "out" Duke fan in your grade in a NC elementary school. Trust me on this.

I ended up going to Duke so I lost my non-alum status, but in my experience, it's easy to be a Duke basketball fan when you're a student or an alum. If you're a non-alum and willing to stand up and be counted, especially in a town similar to my hometown, I'm giving you extra credit and Duke blue glitter, instead of questioning your bona fides!

kAzE
02-15-2017, 03:05 PM
There is NOTHING to cement your fandom like being the only "out" Duke fan in your grade in a NC elementary school. Trust me on this.

I feel you 100%. I was an "out" Duke fan in Lexington, KY through most of middle school and high school. It was bad. Real bad.

Lid
02-15-2017, 03:08 PM
I feel you 100%. I was an "out" Duke fan in Lexington, KY through most of middle school and high school. It was bad. Real bad.
Yikes. When I said "nothing," I apparently actually didn't mean "nothing." Props to you.

Dev11
02-15-2017, 07:31 PM
I enjoyed this week's pod, too, and wanted to throw in my two cents about the alum/non-alum fan question.

I grew up a Duke fan in eastern NC, with no familial association -- just preferred Duke's style over Four Corners, liked its academic reputation, and had a minor crush on Jim Spanarkel as a kid. There is NOTHING to cement your fandom like being the only "out" Duke fan in your grade in a NC elementary school. Trust me on this.

I've mentioned this before on the pod, and I don't want to get into the "not our rivals" bit, but the streets of Montgomery County, Maryland for somebody who graduated high school in 2007 as a Duke fan were traumatic. I only suffered through minor physical altercations and homophobic taunts.

Mea culpa for not previewing Clemson.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2017, 08:01 PM
There is NOTHING to cement your fandom like being the only "out" Duke fan in your grade in a NC elementary school. Trust me on this.

Thanks for recognition on this. Growing up in Charlotte, I was ALWAYS the only Duke fan in the room. Growing up in the 80's all I heard was how Duke can't win it all.

I am not a Facebook user, but would that I were, it would be tempting to track down all those UNC Jordan fans from the 80's and ask if Duke still can't win it all.

As we all know, mid 1990's, the refrain changed to "well, Duke can't produce NBA talent," which I always thought was weird, because isn't it more impressive to win NCAA Championships with less talent?

Who knows what the clueless say today... ask your nearest Tar Hole fan.

JasonEvans
02-15-2017, 08:20 PM
This week is on me...I did the editing and had to rush through some of it to get it out in time for Valentine's Day (where I was off the grid the entire day). I'm not nearly as good an editor as Jason is with these things. Things to work on for next time!

Thanks for falling on the sword, Donald. I probably edit 95% of the pods but sometimes I have stuff going on an Donald picks up the slack. As for Sam, he's useless ;)

-Jason "bwahahahahahahahaha!" Evans

JasonEvans
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM
By the way, we are getting so much response and conversation out of the "Duke fan/alum" question... so we need the rest of ya'll to send us questions! PM me or Sam (Dev11) or Donald (BlazinDW) your questions and we will answer on the pod.