PDA

View Full Version : Bill Burr gushes about his experience in Cameron

statik73
02-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Long time reader of the forum, I don't normally post, but thought some might be interested in this. Comedian Bill Burr could not have made me more jealous. He talked about going to the UNC game Thursday on his podcast today.
http://billburr.com/monday-morning-podcast-2-13-17/

Skip about 25 min in to hear about it. NSFW language.

ChillinDuke
02-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Long time reader of the forum, I don't normally post, but thought some might be interested in this. Comedian Bill Burr could not have made me more jealous. He talked about going to the UNC game Thursday on his podcast today.

Bill Burr is hysterical.

And his description of the game/atmosphere is amazing. For those that have attended before, his description is impeccably familiar...in a completely NSFW kind of way.

- Chillin

duke4ever19
02-13-2017, 06:27 PM

I love the Monday Morning Podcast! He and Norm Macdonald are my favorite comics.

You could hear how in awe he was at seeing Coach K on the sidelines. Compared it to seeing a walking, talking Stanley Cup:D
(Bill is a huge hockey fan, so that's high praise from him.)

jwillfan
02-13-2017, 07:37 PM
OK holy cow I laughed my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off at that. I played it in a room where my wife and 15 yo son could hear it (yes, I'm a bad parent) who have all been to Cameron and experienced what he talked about. We laughed particularly hard at the Crazy Towel Guy part. If he could clean it up and re-record it, it may be one of the best Cameron promos ever. @#$# Madison Square Garden!! Go there to see the Ice Capades!! Hahahaha. :D:D:D

Duke76
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
I love the Monday Morning Podcast! He and Norm Macdonald are my favorite comics.

You could hear how in awe he was at seeing Coach K on the sidelines. Compared it to seeing a walking, talking Stanley Cup:D
(Bill is a huge hockey fan, so that's high praise from him.)

pretty much sums anyone's experience in Cameron,,,,you just wish you could bottle the feelings up and pull them out whenever you feel depressed or upset about something...all you can do is chuckle about his experience, its the greatest to know we have experienced what he is talking about

pamtar
02-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Long time MMP listener here. But haven't listened in a while so thanks for the share! He talked about how much he liked Duke's campus when he was in town for three sold out shows a few months back. Mentioned crashing a wedding rehearsal at Duke chapel or something. Fun fact, he actually dropped out of State if I'm not mistaken. He's said a few times how much he hates Cary. Good stuff.

duke4ever19
02-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Long time MMP listener here. But haven't listened in a while so thanks for the share! He talked about how much he liked Duke's campus when he was in town for three sold out shows a few months back. Mentioned crashing a wedding rehearsal at Duke chapel or something. Fun fact, he actually dropped out of State if I'm not mistaken. He's said a few times how much he hates Cary. Good stuff.

You would be correct, fellow MPP listener! Here's his recent comments on his time at NC State.

Interviewer:I heard on one of your earlier shows that you lived in the Raleigh-Durham area. You did two semesters at N.C. State.

Bill Burr: Yeah, I was at N.C. State in an off-campus program. I would drive to the school, go to the library, and watch a recording of the class by myself. I’ve always been isolated. It was the funniest thing. You’d be watching [the video] and the teacher would be like, “Any questions?” Uh, yeah, I have a question. [Laughs] I literally had to call this guy up a couple of times. I felt like a leper. The next semester I was on campus. I really wished it worked out for me down there. I went to a performance school by the end of it. N.C. State was cool; I still root for them when they play Carolina or Duke. I’m always pulling for the Wolfpack.

duke09hms
02-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Duke-UNC segment from his official youtube channel (NSFW)

https://youtu.be/qILLrC9PbWg

His MMPC is the best!
Depending on how sensitive one is ...

bpietrew
02-14-2017, 12:21 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/an-amazing-scene-in-cameron-is-witness-to-dukes-most-impressive-game-of-the-season/

Billy Dat
02-14-2017, 11:49 AM
This was extremely funny. As others have said, he puncutates nearly every word with the F word, which i find highly amusing, but may not be safe for some ears. His comparison of K to the Stanley Cup, his play-by-play of the Crazies reactions to the halftime show, his introduction to the Crazy Towel Guy phenomenon...all of it is must listen.

flyingdutchdevil
02-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Love Bill Burr. Love Boston. Love Duke.

Edouble
02-14-2017, 05:12 PM
No idea who Bill Burr is, but his thoughts on the game were pretty funny.

Disappointed to hear that the Crazies are still doing the "you suck" part in the intros. Soooooo lame!

kAzE
02-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Love Bill Burr. He seemed to be way more enthused about the halftime entertainment than the actual game though :p

DukeFanSince1990
02-14-2017, 06:24 PM
Bill Burr is a very underrated comedian. And consistently Conan O'Brien's best guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXYGxrNWbo

Bluedog
02-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Disappointed to hear that the Crazies are still doing the "you suck" part in the intros. Soooooo lame!

I don't think this is actually true...The crazies all say "Hi ___" and then perhaps occasionally there are a few that yell something after that but the vast majority are quiet. But because it's quiet, the few people shouting can sometimes be heard. Also thought the same thing when he made that comment. Was a pretty funny segment.

-jk
02-14-2017, 09:54 PM
I don't think this is actually true...The crazies all say "Hi ___" and then perhaps occasionally there are a few that yell something after that but the vast majority are quiet. But because it's quiet, the few people shouting can sometimes be heard. Also thought the same thing when he made that comment. Was a pretty funny segment.

For good or ill, the "you suck" chorus was loud and clear for unc...

-jk

TruBlu
02-15-2017, 08:44 AM
For good or ill, the "you suck" chorus was loud and clear for unc...

-jk

Well, in the cheaters case, it's true.
GTHC

I concur with those that think it's inappropriate for all other visitors, except for Kentucky. And Maryland (thank God and Greyhound they're gone).

ricks68
02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Well, in the cheaters case, it's true.
GTHC

I concur with those that think it's inappropriate for all other visitors, except for Kentucky. And Maryland (thank God and Greyhound they're gone).

I don't agree. I think it is uncreative, not classy, immature, etc., and brings us down to the same level of those fans of all other teams that we constantly criticize for being so classless and boorish. It was not just a few students doing it at the game, and I thought that it was a poor reflection of the standards that we are trying to project to everyone outside of our program and the university as a whole. I think it is time for Coach K to reach out to the students to put a stop to it------especially when you consider that we observed players from both teams helping each other up after some spills on the floor during the game.

ricks

Stray Gator
02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
I don't agree. I think it is uncreative, not classy, immature, etc., and brings us down to the same level of those fans of all other teams that we constantly criticize for being so classless and boorish. It was not just a few students doing it at the game, and I thought that it was a poor reflection of the standards that we are trying to project to everyone outside of our program and the university as a whole. I think it is time for Coach K to reach out to the students to put a stop to it------especially when you consider that we observed players from both teams helping each other up after some spills on the floor during the game.

ricks

I agree with Ricks. Yelling "Hi [first name]" as each opposing player is introduced has always been a clever, amusing touch -- a uniquely sarcastic but lighthearted "welcome" to Cameron. But adding "You suck" is just puerile and churlish. It turns a positive moment on its head to leave a bitter and embarrassing aftertaste. Maybe it's a generational difference of opinion, but I would be happy to see the "You suck" part of the welcoming cheer go the way of the "arms-above-the-head O" during the national anthem -- to a well-deserved and long-overdue extinction.

Nugget
02-15-2017, 01:28 PM
I agree with Ricks. Yelling "Hi [first name]" as each opposing player is introduced has always been a clever, amusing touch -- a uniquely sarcastic but lighthearted "welcome" to Cameron. But adding "You suck" is just puerile and churlish. It turns a positive moment on its head to leave a bitter and embarrassing aftertaste. Maybe it's a generational difference of opinion, but I would be happy to see the "You suck" part of the welcoming cheer go the way of the "arms-above-the-head O" during the national anthem -- to a well-deserved and long-overdue extinction.

Agree with Stray. I'm not sure when the "you suck" began to be appended, but it wasn't part of the program when I was at Duke in 88-91. I do remember Maryland's crowd doing that. I'm certainly not in favor of the Crazies doing something that is both puerile and derivative of Maryland.

Having said that, wanted to also give credit to the Crazies for an amazing showing at the Carolina game. The sustained noise (really the most important thing the crowd adds) was palpable through the tv.

BlueDster
02-15-2017, 01:33 PM
I was in the stands from 2006-2010, and the "you suck" was only used during the UNC games for that entire stretch. The entire student section did it and it was discussed openly as part of the UNC game tradition at that point. I think adding that piece is relatively harmless and fits with amping up the UNC game as special. I think in a way it also acknowledges that the Duke fans know the UNC players better than other team's players due to the closeness of the rivalry. I'm not sure if it's being done every game now, which I agree is a little lame and more importantly takes away from the uniqueness of the UNC game.

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
I was in the stands from 2006-2010, and the "you suck" was only used during the UNC games for that entire stretch. The entire student section did it and it was discussed openly as part of the UNC game tradition at that point. I think adding that piece is relatively harmless and fits with amping up the UNC game as special. I think in a way it also acknowledges that the Duke fans know the UNC players better than other team's players due to the closeness of the rivalry. I'm not sure if it's being done every game now, which I agree is a little lame and more importantly takes away from the uniqueness of the UNC game.

I think it is churlish, sophomoric and inappropriate at any game. We are bigger and better than 3rd grade humor.

killerleft
02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
This would have been much better: "You Cheat!".

English
02-15-2017, 01:53 PM
I think it is churlish, sophomoric and inappropriate at any game. We are bigger and better than 3rd grade humor.

Uhhhh, have you seen the chant/fact sheets for the opposing players lately? Talk about a point of embarrassment. Nothing clever or spontaneous about those snoozers. I received a few pics of those texted to me before the unc game, and it's laughable how what once made the Crazies the envy of other teams' fanbases now makes them look rigid, rehearsed, and lame.

duke4ever19
02-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Precisely why I like it. :)

Stray Gator
02-15-2017, 02:01 PM

I understand the desire to add something extra to signify the rivalry when welcoming UNC, but there certainly must be options that are not so juvenile and tasteless as "You suck." For example, why not "Our house," or "Who cares," or "Prepare to lose," or something more worthy of the reputation for cleverness that Cameron Crazies take pride in perpetuating?

BlueDster
02-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I understand the desire to add something extra to signify the rivalry when welcoming UNC, but there certainly must be options that are not so juvenile and tasteless as "You suck." For example, why not "Our house," or "Who cares," or "Prepare to lose," or something more worthy of the reputation for cleverness that Cameron Crazies take pride in perpetuating?

I really don't see how telling players "you suck" is that much different than saying "Go to hell, Carolina" other than the tradition and history that go along with it (let alone all of the Crazies screaming "EAT SH*T" after "Carolina go to hell" at every game regardless of opponent). All are something one might yell in a moment of weakness at someone who cuts them off in traffic. I agree that more clever or inventive options are possible, but the point is I don't think this is the one crude or uninventive aspect of the Crazies' performance. The way I always looked at it was saying "Hi ____" was a kind of humorous, unexpected nicety that we as Cameron Crazies were not willing to extend to UNC. It wouldn't bother me if it were changed to another similar phrase, but one looking to make all of the Crazies' cheers clever would need to do a more extensive audit.

BandAlum83
02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Uhhhh, have you seen the chant/fact sheets for the opposing players lately? Talk about a point of embarrassment. Nothing clever or spontaneous about those snoozers. I received a few pics of those texted to me before the unc game, and it's laughable how what once made the Crazies the envy of other teams' fanbases now makes them look rigid, rehearsed, and lame.

Fact sheets is one thing, and maybe good to educate the crowd. Chant sheets? get rid of them! The crowd, while I was there, was always about spontaneity, wit and cleverness. It was organic. Even if the cheers were devised pre-game, the losing chants would not catch on. Individuals or groups would often make up cheers on the spot that would catch fire! It was very cool!

And when did they lose the true cadence of the "Air Ball" chant? It is supposed to be slower and taunting: almost childish. Not fast! I heard it in the background of a non-Duke game and remember thinking "They don't know how to do that cheer." To fast! It's all in the timing! But it seems the crazies have lost the meaning and timing of the cheer also.

And where are the "Air Dunk" chants at a missed dunk???

Now all of you! Off my lawn!!

ChillinDuke
02-15-2017, 04:28 PM
I respectfully disagree with those that think "You suck!" is childish or somehow below us. If you've ever been to another sporting event and heard the sorts of language that is screamed, I fail to see how a coordinated "You suck!" is viewed as equal or worse. In fact, I am of the opinion that it's hysterical. It's accurate, succinct, and gets the point across for how the crowd feels about the particular player that has just been introduced. I love it for its simplicity.

- Chillin

Reilly
02-15-2017, 04:44 PM
... Yelling "Hi [first name]" as each opposing player is introduced has always been a clever, amusing touch -- a uniquely sarcastic but lighthearted "welcome" to Cameron ...

This is the absolute best. The faux friendliness. The sort of embarrassed, goofy grins it produces on the opponent's players' faces. The cohesion of the crowd. The "we're-just-having-fun-with-you-before-we-annihilate-you" maniacal quality to the greeting. It's funny. It's unhinged. It's Cameron. Damn kids today with their cheer sheets and line monitors and ...

duke4ever19
02-15-2017, 04:46 PM

I think Burr is right that the mock friendliness of "Hi ____! You suck!" is both childish and hilarious. Hey, it made a comedian laugh (much harder to do than you would think).

Perhaps I'm desensitized to language (Heck, I did my grad work on the Marquis De Sade), but I find it hard to believe that anyone would have an issue with that chant, especially on the grounds of it being inappropriate, "churlish," and tasteless. To me, it's as vanilla as Tim Duncan.

Indoor66
02-15-2017, 05:02 PM
I think Burr is right that the mock friendliness of "Hi ____! You suck!" is both childish and hilarious. Hey, it made a comedian laugh (much harder to do than you would think).

Perhaps I'm desensitized to language (Heck, I did my grad work on the Marquis De Sade), but I find it hard to believe that anyone would have an issue with that chant, especially on the grounds of it being inappropriate, "churlish," and tasteless. To me, it's as vanilla as Tim Duncan.

That speaks more about you than about the"cheer." IMO, yelling at a sporting event is about support, not denigration.

Tripping William
02-15-2017, 05:10 PM
This debate reminds me a bit of March 1996. I'm taking a lot of this from Feinstein's account in "A March to Madness," but I was there in person for it, in the grad student section, when Jay Heaps sorta hockey-checked Jeff McInnis into press row very late in a game that was virtually over on the scoreboard. For much of the game, a sign had been floating around Cameron: "Have You Driven A Ford Lately," with "Ford" depicted in the famous auto-maker's logo, in reference to rumors that McInnis and the wife of assistant Phil Ford had gotten, umm, "friendly." When Heaps committed his foul, McInnis went off, picking up his second technical foul and resulting in his ejection. More than any "aahhhhh, see ya!," the crowd lustily chanted a vulgar reference to the rectal orifice, which if I re-typed would set off the hyper-sensitive wanker-filter. Lots worse than "third grade humor," and Dean E. Smith (he of the "I did *not* call Rick Robey an S.O.B. because it would make my mother blush") was incensed, opining that the "esteemed" Duke faculty should be ashamed of the vocabulary of their student body.

The Duke head guy's reply (three days later)? "All they did was make an accurate comment about McInnis."

I plead the Fifth Amendment about whether or not I participated in churlish behavior that day.

gam7
02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
For much of the game, a sign had been floating around Cameron: "Have You Driven A Ford Lately," with "Ford" depicted in the famous auto-maker's logo, in reference to rumors that McInnis and the wife of assistant Phil Ford had gotten, umm, "friendly."

One of my all-time favorite signs at any sporting event ever.

Stray Gator
02-15-2017, 05:47 PM
I really don't see how telling players "you suck" is that much different than saying "Go to hell, Carolina" other than the tradition and history that go along with it (let alone all of the Crazies screaming "EAT SH*T" after "Carolina go to hell" at every game regardless of opponent). . . .

Well, since you raised the point, this might be a timely occasion to remind everyone that the original line in the fight song is "Carolina, good night, beat State" -- not "Carolina go to hell, eat sh*t." And for the record, as a Duke alumnus and fan (and parent), I find that alteration, which transforms the song into something crude, juvenile, and vulgar, equally objectionable and embarrassing. But then I'm a crusty old-timer who remembers when being part of the Duke community meant taking pride in the fact that our students accepted the challenge of rising to a higher standard of quality and originality in their cheers, rather than simply parroting the unimaginative profanities that we hear in other schools' sports arenas.

Stray Gator
02-15-2017, 06:02 PM
I respectfully disagree with those that think "You suck!" is childish or somehow below us. If you've ever been to another sporting event and heard the sorts of language that is screamed, I fail to see how a coordinated "You suck!" is viewed as equal or worse. In fact, I am of the opinion that it's hysterical. It's accurate, succinct, and gets the point across for how the crowd feels about the particular player that has just been introduced. I love it for its simplicity.

- Chillin

And I respectfully submit that when we approve of Duke students and fans resorting to the kind of profane language and inane cheers that we commonly hear at other schools' (or professional) sporting events, we relinquish any right to claim that the Cameron Crazies are any more clever or imaginative or special than others. I understand that you love the "You suck" chant for its simplicity. I just happen to prefer something more sophisticated, which distinguishes our students and fans and the atmosphere in Cameron from what you can find on any evening at countless other venues. I suspect that your view will prevail, but that doesn't mean I'll ever change my mind about it being unworthy of Duke -- and not funny.

rasputin
02-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Well, since you raised the point, this might be a timely occasion to remind everyone that the original line in the fight song is "Carolina, good night, beat State" -- not "Carolina go to hell, eat sh*t." And for the record, as a Duke alumnus and fan (and parent), I find that alteration, which transforms the song into something crude, juvenile, and vulgar, equally objectionable and embarrassing. But then I'm a crusty old-timer who remembers when being part of the Duke community meant taking pride in the fact that our students accepted the challenge of rising to a higher standard of quality and originality in their cheers, rather than simply parroting the unimaginative profanities that we hear in other schools' sports arenas.

As usual I can't spork Stray.

I suspect that the divide here is largely generational. I don't completely agree with the previous poster who said that cheering should be all support, not derision, and a lot of the successful, clever stuff that has been said and done in CIS has been making fun of the opposition. I do agree with Stray that we should be able to do this without resorting to cheap vulgarity. [One exception I'll make, which was about a sponsor, not an opponent, was the famous Pilot Life sign.]

During the JJ hatefest, I was one of those who e-mailed the President at the University of Maryland after their "fans" were chanting "___ you JJ" all night. I got a response from, I think, the Athletic Director. I was pleased to get a response at all, but not pleased with the substance of the response, which was to hide behind the First Amendment. [I'm a lawyer who represents public schools, and I deal in First Amendment stuff fairly frequently, and the notion that a public school can't tell its kids and patrons not to be over-the-top vulgar on national TV is bunk. I should also mention that his response did acknowledge that the conduct of their kids reflected badly on the university.] I reminded him that, at the very least, Coach Williams could have admonished the kids to knock it off (which Coach K has been known to do). I wasn't surprised that I never got any further response.

DU82
02-15-2017, 07:23 PM
This is the absolute best. The faux friendliness. The sort of embarrassed, goofy grins it produces on the opponent's players' faces. The cohesion of the crowd. The "we're-just-having-fun-with-you-before-we-annihilate-you" maniacal quality to the greeting. It's funny. It's unhinged. It's Cameron. Damn kids today with their cheer sheets and line monitors and ...

Back when schools were allowed to play exhibitions against foreign national teams, some of the players actually waved back to say hi to the fans. (The sarcastic welcome didn't translate to Polish or Russian, it seemed.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2017, 08:05 PM
And I respectfully submit that when we approve of Duke students and fans resorting to the kind of profane language and inane cheers that we commonly hear at other schools' (or professional) sporting events, we relinquish any right to claim that the Cameron Crazies are any more clever or imaginative or special than others. I understand that you love the "You suck" chant for its simplicity. I just happen to prefer something more sophisticated, which distinguishes our students and fans and the atmosphere in Cameron from what you can find on any evening at countless other venues. I suspect that your view will prevail, but that doesn't mean I'll ever change my mind about it being unworthy of Duke -- and not funny.

Blah blah, spread some comments....

I agree, Stray Gator, as I usually do.

fidel
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM

i find much more humor in 'we beg to differ' than I do another lament of 'Bullxxxx'. its clever, and far more incisive.

duke4ever19
02-16-2017, 11:52 AM
That speaks more about you than about the"cheer." IMO, yelling at a sporting event is about support, not denigration.

My opinions on any given matter are precisely that, my opinions on the matter. That's how opinions work. You assert that it reveals more about me than about the cheer. Of course it does. The cheer is the subject of debate and I am sharing my view on that happening. It's supposed to be revealing. Likewise, your aversion/dislike to that cheer tells me a little something about you.

So, we can extrapolate from this that since you are about "support, not denigration," it follows that you do not support booing in any way shape or form at a rival team, ref, coach etc, since it falls under the characterization of denigration.

alteran
02-16-2017, 02:27 PM

Only for UNC, I think-- and which seems entirely appropriate. (They do, in fact, suck.)

I didn't notice "you suck" at either of the other three games I lucked into this year, although there were some stragglers at the Clemson game.

alteran
02-16-2017, 04:03 PM
I don't mind "you suck!" on vulgarity principles as some here clearly do. My primary beef with it is it stomps on the joke! The whole point of the "Hi, Joe!" cheer is the sarcastic friendliness, following that with "you suck" just kills it.

Throwing in the "you suck" to point out the obvious to UNC works for me if that's the only time we do it. That's just me. Others may differ.

One thing I feel strongly is that you can't have humorous brilliance without risk. There's a reason comics hone their routines in smaller venues over time. You want to be a place that spawns "Speedo Guy?" Well, the latitude and acceptance for that silliness also makes room for, "you suck (D***!)." You like, "We beg to differ!"? You LITERALLY don't get that without the "Did you send her flowers" and the accompanying overreach from the Herman Veal game before it.

There's no edgy humour without risk. And failure. Personally, I miss the days when Cameron was edgier, and the Duke culture gave the Crazies the latitude to be brilliant-- at the risk of sometimes being stupid.

Rich
02-16-2017, 04:39 PM
There's no edgy humour without risk. And failure. Personally, I miss the days when Cameron was edgier, and the Duke culture gave the Crazies the latitude to be brilliant-- at the risk of sometimes being stupid.

Yeah, and I miss throwing tennis balls across the court before the game.

Indoor66
02-16-2017, 05:13 PM
I miss the baffles in the ceiling. 👹

4Gen
02-16-2017, 05:25 PM
I lol when Bill said the Asian woman said, F*&# that. Not apropos of anything here, just noteworthy funny.

alteran
02-17-2017, 10:02 AM
I miss the baffles in the ceiling. 👹

Seriously. Maybe they could place them directly in front of the speakers. I'm pretty sure the stadium music volume violates the Geneva convention at times.

Jeffrey
02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
I really don't see how telling players "you suck" is that much different than saying "Go to hell, Carolina"

IMO, there's a substantial difference between verbally attacking a person and a school. If we must, then I'd strongly prefer we verbally attack a rival school than make it personal. Many times, we are verbally attacking an immature teenager.