PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Clempsun Pre- and In-Game thread

awhom111
02-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Stream:
http://www.theacc.com/game-center/57f3cff3e4b0d989b845d303

TV Stations:
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-the-acc-network-clemson-at-duke-02-11-2017

Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3005539.jpg

Here are your options based on location:

Black:
-On TV on station listed on link above
-Online via link provided above (official, free, unrestricted)

Green:
-On TV on station listed on link above
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (791 on DirecTV and 824 on Verizon FIOS)
-Online via link provided in above (official, free, unrestricted)
-Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

gofurman
02-11-2017, 12:57 AM
Did something happen to this thread? There were several posts earlier

This is a dangerous Tiger team. Beat Pitt at Pitt, lost to UNC in OT, just list to Syracuse on a last second shot.... Only lost to VT by a point because VT hit 16-17'FTs. Just crazy. Very much like Pitt in that they are undervalued and have good talent and might be a tourney team if in the SEC. They beat top 25 South Carolina and also beat UGA. LOST To,UVA by 4.

Emotional drain and physical drain on our guys. Not even a practice day!! Probably watch film today and then just play tomorrow.

Two stars (like Pitt) are SF PF. Blossomgame (probable NBA) and Grantham. Others who contribute are Shelton At PG who,is steady but doesn't break you down w dribble penetration so that's good. Behind him are Avery and Reed. Both very good players.

Center is where the Tigers struggle. They have a freshman top HS (top 33 recruit) who transferred from Texas AM. Elijah s skilled and will be v good in ACC but needs another year. Djitte is a senior and a stronger version of current Jeter. Rebounds. Blocks. Put backs.

Positions 1-4 can hurt you. Especially Blossomgame. He will probably be a late first round pick

Brownell has had great D at Clemson. Not this year. Unc beat them 89-86. Usually Clemson has bad O. This year their O is pretty good. Lots of 75-70 losses.

Anyway, .can our guys turn it around in one day? No time to scout hardly. Will Clemson mail it in after yet another heartbreaker?

-jk
02-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Did something happen to this thread? There were several posts earlier

Wankerizer ran amok. Had to try again...

-jk

jipops
02-11-2017, 01:28 AM
This falls under the definition of trap game right? This probably won't be a thing of beauty to watch.

BandAlum83
02-11-2017, 01:29 AM
Go Duke!!!

TruBlu
02-11-2017, 06:52 AM
This falls under the definition of trap game right? This probably won't be a thing of beauty to watch.

Well, they are guys, so . . .

rtnorthrup
02-11-2017, 08:00 AM
If I recall, and my memory is not very good, the PGA used to have a silly season skins format, where if you won a hole you had to follow it up with a second win to get credit. Like you had to back it up to show its wasnt a fluke. I've always felt that way about underdog/up-and-comers in college sports. A great win never felt that significant if you followed it up with a loss the very next time out. That didn't usually apply to the top teams, but for some reason, it feels like Duke REALLY needs to follow up the UNC win with a good performance. One of the CBS reporters said something to the affect that you can only have so many "turn-it-around" games until you end up back where you started from. The good news is that Coach K is one of (THE?) best tournament coaches ever. He will treat this one day turnaround the same way he would treat an NCAA tournament weekend.

It seems like there may be a couple of narratives for this team, and that neither of them tell the complete picture. On the one hand, if we don't blow a couple of large second half leads against NC State, this team would have won 6 in a row, sit .5 games out of first in the ACC and tied in the loss column. I think the narrative surrounding this team would be a little different, though there is still plenty of Duke hype coming on the heel (pun intended) of our last win. But the truth is that we did give up two large second half leads against NC State, needed some Luke Kennard heroics to beat Wake, and struggled to put away a pretty average Pitt team at Cameron. As Fox Mulder would say, "the truth is out there".

I'm looking forward to today's game. Clemson is a capable opponent, and I echo those saying I expect this game to be less free flowing than the UNC game. I know Jefferson is still not 100% but I would love to see him find his offensive game. (side note- his defense on Kennedy Meeks the other night didn't get the media credit it deserved. A very good lesson for young bigs; Jefferson won the early positional battles against Meeks, making entry passes difficult.)

Any kind of win will keep up the positive feeling among the players.

Turk
02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Clempsun? I thought it was Climmsen... I've been on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line for way too long... Go Duke!

Native
02-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Just win, baby. I don't care if we blow them out or win at the buzzer.

Just. Win.

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2017, 09:46 AM
I watched much of the 2nd half of the Syracuse-Clemson game, and i admire that Clemson was able to very effectively attack the zone for long stretches. Clemson started faltering a little bit to let 'Cuse get closer, but down the stretch they brain-farted the game away. Most of the blame for the loss, unfortunately, goes to Djitte. He fumbled away a pass that hit him in the hands wide open under the basket which would have been a momentum killing bucket to stop a 'Cuse run. Moments later he was fouled away from the ball and missed the front end of a 1n1, again losing the chance to kill 'Cuse mo. Those are 3, possibly 4, points that Djitte gave away in the last 2 minutes of a game they lost by 1 point.
As for Duke, expect some bruises and some baffled looks of "why wasn' that called a foul?". If our guys can get over that and just focus on playing smart ball i think we win pretty comfortably. If we get too hung up in no-calls or somehow don't bring toughness or focus, we could lose. Blossomgame and Grantham stepped up big vs. Cuse and they're both good Fs, but Clemson also has 3 quality guards who can shoot pretty well. Blossomgame vs Tatum is a good matchup on paper, but i bet K tries to get Jones on Blossomgame as much as possible with Tatum on Grantham. I like our other matchups across the board.

duketaylor
02-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Should still be leftover adrenaline from Thursday, IMO. I still have mine:cool: Or maybe that due to another stimulant. We need to play with energy today and I'd like to see K go at least 9 deep and keep fresh legs in. Don't play again til Wed, so leave it all on the floor. Go Al Davis, "Just Win Baby!!!"

uh_no
02-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Should still be leftover adrenaline from Thursday, IMO. I still have mine:cool: Or maybe that due to another stimulant. We need to play with energy today and I'd like to see K go at least 9 deep and keep fresh legs in. Don't play again til Wed, so leave it all on the floor. Go Al Davis, "Just Win Baby!!!"

we'll have to do 1 and 2 day turnarounds in the postseason....so might as well start getting used to it. I wouldn't expect to see anyone other than the regular 8 unless there are fouls, injuries, or we're in garbage time.

whereinthehellami
02-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Tough short turn around but consistency and a sold effort will show team growth. If Duke wins easily, it would be another step the team has taken.

NYBri
02-11-2017, 10:52 AM
No injuries, please! Playing Clempsun is usually a brawl.

-jk
02-11-2017, 11:53 AM
we'll have to do 1 and 2 day turnarounds in the postseason...so might as well start getting used to it. I wouldn't expect to see anyone other than the regular 8 unless there are fouls, injuries, or we're in garbage time.

I agree in principle, but in those games the other team is also playing on a short turn-around, and media timeouts are really long...

-jk

Henderson
02-11-2017, 12:32 PM
With both Amile and Matt playing a little tweaked, I'd like to see a game that permits them some meaningful bench time. This team doesn't need nagging unrested injuries in the coming weeks. My guess, though, is that if they are physically capable of playing 30 minutes each, they will, whether strictly needed or not.

Native
02-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Students bringing it in the sign category today. From the Chronicle's Hank Tucker (https://twitter.com/hanktucker13):

-jk
02-11-2017, 12:35 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
02-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/clemson-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02112017

Krzyzewskiville
02-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Any chance this is on TV in the North East region? Specifically New York?

Native
02-11-2017, 01:05 PM

Having to go through WatchESPN here in NYC.

subzero02
02-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Allen rolls his ankle pretty badly and goes to the locker room under his own power. He was noticeably limping while walking down the court. We look really flat but have forced Clemson in to two shot clock violations already.

subzero02
02-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Allen is back and appears to be moving pretty well...

InSpades
02-11-2017, 01:31 PM

I'm getting the game on ESPN College Extra 4 in NJ...

I'm curious what the refs would have called on the shot clock violation (that wasn't) if Clemson had made the shot. It seems like Clemson got a free shot from 3 there... no? Since they missed the rim they got the ball back. If they made the shot they couldn't take it away from them... Seems like a weird play there.

dukeinla
02-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Allen is back and appears to be moving pretty well... surprised that Marquis was the first off the bench and that amile came in for him. Is Harry ok?

subzero02
02-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Harry is in for Amile (2 fouls) and looks good. He's had some strong defensive rebounds and a block. Giles is an elite rebounder, that much is obvious. He is not in the flow on offense; he needs a few more looks in the post IMO. When he finally received an entry pass he attempted to take his man but then made a nice pass to Tatum on the opposite wing for an open 3(missed).

Indoor66
02-11-2017, 01:46 PM
I can get the game on the Net via the ACC App.

NM Duke Fan
02-11-2017, 02:21 PM
What a great drive by Jackson off the pick and roll, perfect execution and went right to a great spot to break down the D, nice shiftiness!

NYBri
02-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Don't like the flow or feel of this game.

kshepinthehouse
02-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Kennard falling asleep on D.

subzero02
We are starting to feel the fatigue from Thursday night. We need to play inside more and get to the line.

InSpades
Clemson scored 18 points in the 1st half... they've scored 25 in the 1st 9:27 of the 2nd half. I guess this answers the question of whether they were off or we were playing good D.

IBleedBlue
02-11-2017, 02:44 PM
What happened to Chase Jeter?
Is he injured or recupering from something that the fans don't know?

subzero02
02-11-2017, 02:44 PM
If we make our foul shots, we win...

NYBri
02-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Free throws!!!

NYBri
02-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Bad Jayson showed up today.