PDA

View Full Version : 3pt Shooting and defense

BandAlum83
02-10-2017, 11:09 PM
I don't really ever do this, but I'm still on a high after last night's game and there's just no new material out here, so I ventured into Inside Carolina land.

There's a really interesting conversation / debate going on over there in a thread titled "48.1% FROM 3"

It reminds me (in reverse) of the debates and complaints on our own DBR boards about our inability to stop the layup drills that seem to happen during our games.

In their thread, they lament their own inability to stop the 3 ball, noting we were 48.1% from 3 last night. Note some of these comments:

Drive and kick ... that's our Achilles heel and has been since Coach Smith. Back in the day our defensive philosophy worked 70% of the time. Kids weren't going to make 3s consistently throughout the entire game. The game has changed and now everyone shoots the 3ball. Teams that have 1 or 2 players who shoot it well give us problems. When you have 4 guys shooting it well, we lose. Just shows how much the game has changed and we will need to evolve our defensive principles to remain current with the times.

It aint just luck when every team we play shoots over 50% on us. Winners get stops losers say the other team was hot. Play defense or STF U!

ESPN just ran a stat showing most 3's made in a game against UNC. All 4 were in the last 4 years. 2 of them by Duke, 1 by Pitt (a week ago) and 1 by Indiana (last year). A very troubling statistic.

And maybe the money post:

the thing about 3s, as y'all will know either from Pomeroy or folks who quote Pomeroy, is there's no evidence defense affects your opponent's 3-point %. but the other side of that equation is that he DID find evidence that you can influence the NUMBER of 3s your opponent takes.
FWIW,Duke are 15-2 when they take at least 20 3s; when they take under 20, they are 4-3.

I find the conversation fascinating and am really glad it's over there. We do have the GOAT, no doubt. Not only has he has changed with the times, I would say that he was an early adopter and visionary when he saw what the # could mean to the game.

So while Carolina fans believe Roy hasn't kept up with the times, they see their hearts get crushed game after game by a dagger three time and time again! All the while, K emphasizes limiting 3s and getting hands in faces to the detriment (at times) of interior defense and giving up layups.

I think we are the winner in this, for as one of their posters points out:

roy plays the same defense after losing 12 of the last 15.

So this is take two on this post. JK somehow messed up the other thread when doing an edit and wankerized DBR. Great going JK!

JK actually messaged me to tell me he had to delete the thread and said I can blame him when I repost. Now that's a class act! Thanks JK!

BandAlum83
02-13-2017, 11:19 AM
So we seemed to stick to the script pretty well against Clemson:

We (Matt) totally shut down their best offensive threat, Blossingame
We limited them to 22% from 3 pt land
We limited them to 38% from the field

Rebounds were about a wash. So what happened?

Seems to me that our offense stalled. Absent Luke's 7/9 shooting down the stretch, we were 14/41 from the field. 34% just won't do it on most nights, and wouldn't have without Luke being Luke down the stretch.

It wasn't just Luke, of course. It was K also noticing the mismatch Luke was able to exploit down the stretch. Similar, it seems to Tatum going for 19 in the second half of UNC off of Mismatches.

To me, that is the story of the game. K finding the combination on offense. Finding the mismatched to optimize our offense on a short turnaround afternoon.

He also taught that grit, determination and heart will win games in this situation.

I would also say, unequivocally to me, our defense did the job this game when looked at in total.

sammy3469
02-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Just to put some stats on this:

Duke is currently #17 in limiting 3 point attempts per game (17.0 per game) and #8 in 3pt% allowed (30.0%) which means Duke gives up just 5.1 threes per game which is #6 in the nation.

UNC is currently #314 in limiting 3 point attempts per game (24.1 per game) and #163 in 3pt% allowed (34.9%) which means UNC gives up just 8.4 threes per game which is #297.

The only other prominent national team that's even in UNC's ballpark is Kansas that gives up 7.5 3s per game (#193). Villanova gives up a ton of 3s as well, but limits opponents to 30% shooting.