PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. UNC-CH (Feb 9, 2017)

JBDuke
02-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 76-68 win over the Heels tonight?

CDu
02-09-2017, 10:06 PM
This is a tough one. Allen and Kennard were incredibly efficient. Tatum was a BEAST. Jones was incredible on defense. Jefferson absolutely owned UNC's bigs. Giles and Bolden contributed. Jackson played well. So much fun!

NM Duke Fan
02-09-2017, 10:07 PM
I had to choose between Allen and Tatum. Jason got my vote due to his exceptional second half. He was by far the leading rebounder I believe, had two nice blocks, got back on transition D well overall. Just a poised performance.

devildeac
02-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Grayson F. Allen

But, I'm really, really happy Tatum and Kennard wear the right shade of blue.

CameronBlue
02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Grayson F. Allen

Who can choose, Allen maybe by the slimmest of margins, Luke and Tatum were fabulous. Duke is blessed.

FerryFor50
02-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Absolutely has to be Allen. He used a cheat code tonight.

YmoBeThere
02-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Best game for Jayson Tatum so far in his Duke career. Played offense in the flow of the game and worked hard on defense. It looked like he really understood where he needed to be and when to be there.

Ballboy1998
02-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Lots of good choices and hard to not pick Grayson or Jayson, but I went somewhat contrarian and picked Matt. After yelling at his lazy pass on the second possession of the game, I thought he played a truly phenomenal MATT JONES game. Every single situation where the guy who wanted it more was going to get it, Matt got it, including the 50/50 rebound that just about sealed the game.

Bolden got a bit lost in his few minutes and looked uncomfortable, but I thought everyone else who played had really positive games overall.

curtis325
02-09-2017, 10:17 PM
I chose Jayson by a gnat's eyelash.

devildeac
02-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Grayson F. Allen

Lethal Weapon 3.

Ggallagher
02-09-2017, 10:20 PM
My vote's going to Tatum, but Grayson, Luke and Matt were equally deserving. What a great effort!

Newton_14
02-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Grayson F. Allen

Grayson Freakin Allen the 2nd! So in control the entire time despite horrible foul calls on him... the 3's, the controlled drives (that baseline dunk brought me outa the recliner!!). Then the dagger 3 with the game teetering in the balance.

Like others said, lots of support from really the entire lot of guys that got in the game tonight. Matt had a great defensive game and hit a big 3, Tatum killed it in the 2nd Half (Monster Dunk on Meeks), Kennard worked his butt off making some sick two pointers. That last one driving across the lane left to right and shooting with all his momentum going the wrong way? Incredible display of athletic ability!

All of our bigs played well save for 3 or 4 brain farts leaving a uncCheat big alone under the basket. (I blame 1. Hugeness of The Game 2. Rookie Mistake 3. Just plain losing focus amidst the crazy atmosphere and constant noise (great job tonight Crazies & Crusties! It killed me not to be there with ya'll!)

Statement game! By Grayson individually and By Duke!

9F all day everyday!

Go back to chapel HELL you bunch of cheatin bastards!

DukieInBrasil
02-09-2017, 10:44 PM
Grayson made huge bomb after huge bomb! Bombs early to get us going, bomb to end the half and put us up 1, bombs at the end to push the lead. Kid bombed all over UNCheaters all night long.

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2017, 10:45 PM
My first vote for Tatum, and it was a really hard choice. But...with Grayson out, Jayson did what needed to be done. With Grayson in, he showed what a force to be reckoned with this team is going to be down the stretch.

MCFinARL
02-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Voted for Allen, but want to give Matt Jones a nod for the crucial rebound he stole away from Berry near the end of the game and a coupe of other great plays at key moments.

Saratoga2
02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
In this game, the award could have been given to any of the 3 top scorers and it would have been justified. In addition, Matt had an excellent defensive game. Really this was a TEAM win where guys were unselfish and fed the open man.

Skydog
02-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Great improvement on Tatum's part. Nine rebounds, 2 great blocks and an impressive 5 assists with only 2 turnovers. And Kennard carried us the first half. Kudos to both. But Tatum was 5-14 from the floor while Allen was 9-15 -- including an outstanding 7-12 from deep. Have to go with my man Grayson.

elvis14
02-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Grayson was the MOTM. It wasn't just the numbers (and efficiency) but the timing. Anytime the cheats started to get it going...GA got it going and then some.

Very happy with the guys that aren't the MOTM like Jayson and Frank.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-10-2017, 12:28 AM
Grayson tonight. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif But isn't it great that this team is starting to play closer to what we expected/hoped for?!! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

jipops
02-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Matt Jones' spectacular defense and huge offensive rebound at the end cannot go unmentioned here.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-10-2017, 12:39 AM
I was a fist. A big ol' fist. The first fist of the year. AND the Crazies never, never ever stopped! I just can't vote this time.
Love Ima

weezie
02-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Grayson James Allen said, "Climb on!" and so the Devils did. Come back Grayson and your jersey will be in the rafters.

BandAlum83
02-10-2017, 01:23 AM
This was as a really, really hard choice.

In the end, I picked Jayson. Yeah he took a lot of shots to get his 19, but he had a monster second half and really was a stat stuffer. 19/9/5/2blks.

4 of his assists were in the first half, so it wasn't like he just showed up after half time.

I've thought Jayson will turn into an excellent defender. I think we are starting to see that as he uses his feet more and resists the urge to reach in. Making better decisions like knowing when to stay vertical and when to go for the block. We are seeing it. I really believe he will be a defensive monster by the post season.

Of course, people point out he doesn't get back on defense. Well, there is one play that put it over the top for me and made me choose JT:

1st half, our second possession, JT takes a 3, and misses. We get the Offensive rebound (Matty) who passes to JT, who passes it back to Matt who misses a 3 attempt. Now it this point, after UNC rebounds, it's off to the races. Luke May gets the outlet pass at the foul line.

Here's the moment he catches it. Look how far JT is behind him. Somehow he closes the distance and makes the spectacular block that turns into a rebound for us.

Beginning of the game..that's a statement. He came to play tonight. That play is the gnat's whisker that had me give the MOTM to JT instead of Grayson.

Great Job, Jayson! If you happen to read this, know that we are proud of you, your progress, and the heart you've shown!

Indoor66
02-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Tonight there are a number of worthy choices. It appears that we may be seeing the emergence of the team everyone thought we had. It appears to me that we might actually be healthy again.

My vote is for Allen. I think he is finally healthy - about 90%. His movement is more fluid; his shot release is after some lift; and he is able to make cuts and elevate. Not all the way back but close. He was the difference in the game. He demanded a level of attention that caused opportunity for others.

Welcome back Grayson. We know who you are. We thank you.

BD80
02-10-2017, 06:59 AM
My vote goes to the Sixth Man.

The atmosphere was fantastic! Like I remember it being years ago.

And the free throw defense was AMAZING. Literally won the game on free throw defense.

Troublemaker
02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Tonight there are a number of worthy choices. It appears that we may be seeing the emergence of the team everyone thought we had. It appears to me that we might actually be healthy again.

I don't think we'll ever reach the lofty heights of the preseason expectations, especially if one believed that Duke would be head and shoulders above the rest of the country. The injuries did cost us that much. BUT, I think Duke can be a top-5 team and roughly as good as anyone else. And that, of course, is something to be grateful for, too. (Never become so spoiled that one can't appreciate a top-5 team.)

MCFinARL
02-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Lots of good choices and hard to not pick Grayson or Jayson, but I went somewhat contrarian and picked Matt. After yelling at his lazy pass on the second possession of the game, I thought he played a truly phenomenal MATT JONES game. Every single situation where the guy who wanted it more was going to get it, Matt got it, including the 50/50 rebound that just about sealed the game.

Bolden got a bit lost in his few minutes and looked uncomfortable, but I thought everyone else who played had really positive games overall.

Even Bolden had a terrific play, though, with that amazing steal from behind. Credit where credit is due.

Wander
02-10-2017, 09:33 AM
I don't think we'll ever reach the lofty heights of the preseason expectations

Yeah, this is a common narrative that I've seen - "Duke is finally looking like the Duke we all expected" - and it's completely wrong. There's just no way that can be true with Giles being a minor role player and Bolden being basically a non-factor. We can still be good enough to be title contenders, but it's not the team most of us thought we'd have.

Ballboy1998
02-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Even Bolden had a terrific play, though, with that amazing steal from behind. Credit where credit is due.

True enough, that was a great play and Bolden definitely had some positive contributions as well. Perhaps my initial statement on Bolden was a bit overly harsh because I was thinking mainly of one play where he got lost on a baseline screen assignment and left his guy (I think Bradley?) 100% wide open directly under the basket for an easy dunk. I am generally very high on Bolden and just think his development this season was setback mightily by his injury.

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Grayson and Matty Ice. Grayson's offense was key (and that dagger was beautiful) but I felt that Matt's defense and hustle plays gave Duke what they were lacking.

So, I ultimately voted for Grayson. Cus it's Grayson.

dukebluesincebirth
02-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...tough choice between Jayson Tatum (for putting Meeks on a poster!!!) or Grayson for putting Theo Pinson on absolute SKATES on that 3 to end the first half!!! Shew! Where you going, Theo? Skate park? I love dunks, but I think I have to lean Grayson on this one. I mean, Pinson nearly did a split halfway into the lane. By the time he recovered, his eyes got burnt. Then Grayson makes a face like, "damn I'm sick." Icy cold.

dukefan_828
02-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Watching the game for a 2nd time right now, matt jones made some huge defensive plays in this first half!! Have to wonder if Giles is on some sort of minutes limit? He continues to look great when he is in the game as well as showing some improvements defensively imo. Yet he continues to hover around the 10 min mark.. Really wanted more of Big Ticket last night when Amile was stuggling! Frank Jackson was HUUGE off the bench, if we get that from him nightly we have the best guard play in the country. Luke was Luke, how good is he off the dribble with nifty moves at the rim?! Jayson is starting to take less bone headed attempts although there was a few but he just finds away to get his! Great second half and loved seeing him put Sean Mays little cousin Kennedy "Fats" Meeks on a poster!! Then theirs, Grayson J Allen!! So nice to see him finally tune everything out and focus on playing his game, we've got the guy we all came to know and love back! He was huge last night, as he has been in the previous 5. LOVE our guys.