PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to hate ESPN

Eakane
02-06-2017, 04:48 PM
I'm mainly appreciative of the Bristol network for putting college ball in the spotlight, and televising so many games I otherwise would never get to see. OTOH, I tend to agree with the majority here that their opinion pieces are not even-handed, and that they'll take any chance they get to jump on Duke, and K and Gray in particular, with a level of glee that reveals their true feelings. That,combined with virtually no coverage of the cheating down the road.

Then there's Lunardi's bracketology. Last week we beat ND on the road, and take care of Pitt, and yet we drop from a 4 seed to a 5.

I know I shouldn't care, but it still galls me.

freshmanjs
02-06-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm mainly appreciative of the Bristol network for putting college ball in the spotlight, and televising so many games I otherwise would never get to see. OTOH, I tend to agree with the majority here that their opinion pieces are not even-handed, and that they'll take any chance they get to jump on Duke, and K and Gray in particular, with a level of glee that reveals their true feelings. That,combined with virtually no coverage of the cheating down the road.

Then there's Lunardi's bracketology. Last week we beat ND on the road, and take care of Pitt, and yet we drop from a 4 seed to a 5.

The reason is he had Florida jump from a 5 to a 3, which pushed a bunch of teams down a spot. Reasonable to disagree, but a) bracketology is meaningless and b) it's not about Duke hate at all -- he's always been fair with our seeding projections

rasputin
02-06-2017, 05:03 PM
The reason is he had Florida jump from a 5 to a 3, which pushed a bunch of teams down a spot. Reasonable to disagree, but a) bracketology is meaningless and b) it's not about Duke hate at all -- he's always been fair with our seeding projections

I think he's been "fair" -- meaning, here, "mediocre" -- regarding everyone's seeding projections. His colleagues talk about him as if he has some special knowledge, or even a special track record of demonstrated success, but he doesn't. When they call him "Joey Brackets" I always throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Rich
02-06-2017, 05:16 PM
I think he's been "fair" -- meaning, here, "mediocre" -- regarding everyone's seeding projections. His colleagues talk about him as if he has some special knowledge, or even a special track record of demonstrated success, but he doesn't. When they call him "Joey Brackets" I always throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I think he does too...have you seen his teeth?

Eakane
02-06-2017, 05:29 PM

Yeah, I'll disagree. Florida's been playing well, and had a nice home win over a slightly depleted Kentucky. But we beat them head to head fairly handily, when we were really depleted.

I'm not sure we're deserving of a three right now, but we shouldn't be pushed to the five line either.

In the end, you're right that it's meaningless. How we play the next eight games will tell the tale.

Olympic Fan
02-06-2017, 05:30 PM
I prefer Jerry Palm, but in both cases, accuracy increases the closer they get to Selection Sunday. The morning of the selection, the two of them usually get 65-67 of the 68 teams right. But this far in advance, they are just guessing.

That's why the committee's big reveal Feb. 12 is so ludicrous -- it might be a snapshot of the situation on that day, but the picture changes daily through February and March.

PS Long before anybody heard of Lunardi, the late Bill Brill was announcing his brackets on the Saturday night of the ACC Tournament -- the day before the NCAA selection announcement. And he was every bit as good -- if not better -- than Lunardi and Palm.

NYBri
02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Just keep winning. The rest will take care of itself.

Henderson
02-06-2017, 05:47 PM
If Lunardi's schtick is getting to you already, you're going to wear yourself out by April.

My advice: Pace yourself. Hate him just little every day. He's binge-worthy, and it's tempting, I know. But we still have two months to go.

kAzE
02-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Joe Lunardi is a joke . . did you see the ultra-narcissistic video he did after "Bracketology" made it into the Oxford dictionary? Apparently, spamming a word enough on the internet until it becomes vernacular equates to being a genius. It's funny when Jay Bilas does it, because it's all tongue in cheek . . . but not in this case.

freshmanjs
02-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Many make excellent points about how useless Bracketology is and how annoying Lunardi can be. I agree with both. The OP was saying this is another example of anti-Duke bias. I don't see that at all. No one has remotely made a case that there is any anti-Duke bias involved here.

flyingdutchdevil
02-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Many make excellent points about how useless Bracketology is and how annoying Lunardi can be. I agree with both. The OP was saying this is another example of anti-Duke bias. I don't see that at all. No one has remotely made a case that there is any anti-Duke bias involved here.

Couldn't agree more. There is zero anti-Duke bias here. A 5-seed is the appropriate seed for Duke, because Duke is ranked 18 and 19 in the AP and USA Today polls.

I mean, yeah, it would be awesome for Duke to have a 1-seed right now, but that would just be an alternative fact.

Papa John
02-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Lunardi's bracketology is akin to those coupon mailers I get once a week. They're fodder, with no real intrinsic value whatsoever, so I just toss them right into the trash. Best bet is to simply ignore Lunardi's bracketology, particularly at this point in the season. It's more meaningless now than it is in early March, when the official brackets are announced. No sense getting worked up over nothing...

Indoor66
02-06-2017, 06:15 PM
If Lunardi's schtick is getting to you already, you're going to wear yourself out by April.

My advice: Pace yourself. Hate him just little every day. He's binge-worthy, and it's tempting, I know. But we still have two months to go.

Simple solution: Ignore him!

sagegrouse
02-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Lunardi's bracketology is akin to those coupon mailers I get once a week. They're fodder, with no real intrinsic value whatsoever, so I just toss them right into the trash. Best bet is to simply ignore Lunardi's bracketology, particularly at this point in the season. It's more meaningless now than it is in early March, when the official brackets are announced. No sense getting worked up over nothing...

Joe Lunardi is a no-talent guy who got a gig that's a meal ticket forever, so long as no one is able to edge him out of the limelight.

Troublemaker
02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Bracket Matrix (http://www.bracketmatrix.com/) has Duke as a 5 seed as of this morning, so Lunardi is not out of line. I myself would also probably have us as a 5 seed as of today.

Now, should Duke beat UNC on Thursday (which I expect), I would make a sizable move for Duke to a 3 seed.

crote
02-06-2017, 06:32 PM
fwiw, both jerry palm (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology) and sports illustrated (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/06/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-villanova-kansas-baylor-gonzaga) have duke as a 5 seed right now as well.

davekay1971
02-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Joe Lunardi is a joke . . did you see the ultra-narcissistic video he did after "Bracketology" made it into the Oxford dictionary? Apparently, spamming a word enough on the internet until it becomes vernacular equates to being a genius. It's funny when Jay Bilas does it, because it's all tongue in cheek . . . but not in this case.

As long as Clark Kellogg's invention, "spurtability" didn't make it. The King's English may have the standards of a drunken sailor or shore leave...but even a drunken sailor on shore leave has SOME discretion.

BigWayne
02-06-2017, 08:13 PM
Just keep winning. The rest will take care of itself.

Yep. I'll just watch the games each week and be entertained along the way. Fretting over bracketology at this point reminds me of the people that I see watching events through the screen on their cellphones because they are so concerned with getting a great video to look at later.

duketaylor
02-06-2017, 08:14 PM
thought maybe a 4 this week, at best. Not worried today, or next week. I am looking at getting some NCAA Tourney tix for 1st weekend, but would need to be somewhat local, as in a higher seed and not shipped out. It's way early to worry. Look at the sked going forward, an amazing number of games of significance importance.

weezie
02-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Hendo speaketh the truth.

Concentrate less on Joey Brackets and more on hating the holes. Far more soul-satisfying and zen-like.

dukelifer
02-06-2017, 08:36 PM
A couple weeks ago there was talk of turning down an NIT bid. Duke will end up where it deserves. A 3 seed is a goal but who knows right now. Need to get through Thursday first.

chadlee989
02-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I agree we are most likely a 5 seed right now. But Joey has Kentucky as a 3 seed and the bracket matrix has them as a 2 seed. We have the same record against a tougher schedule. Both lost to Kansas. Ours on neutral site them at home. They lost to Florida we beat Florida.

Scorp4me
02-06-2017, 11:37 PM
I mean, yeah, it would be awesome for Duke to have a 1-seed right now, but that would just be an alternative fact.

Naaa, that'd be fake news.

Steven43
02-07-2017, 01:03 AM
Lunardi's bracketology is akin to those coupon mailers I get once a week. They're fodder, with no real intrinsic value whatsoever, so I just toss them right into the trash.
I would suggest you recycle them instead. It's just as easy. 😃

jacone21
02-07-2017, 01:19 AM
Lunardi has about as much impact on Duke's fate as a guy selling Ralph Lauren knock offs in Kuala Lumpur.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Joey Brackets is a farce. His weekly updates just serve to stir the pot. I don't understand why he is an "expert."

Hand me the polls, the RPI, and conference championship results on Sunday afternoon and I could mock up the brackets with as much accuracy as Lunardi. I'd miss a team or two, and miss a seed or three, and then I could whine about how the committee got it wrong, even though it is a coin flip.

This is as useless as Joey Brackets' distant cousin, the "if the season ended today" NCAA football sham they pull in late September.

ESPN click bait.

COYS
02-07-2017, 11:10 AM
It's hard for me to get worked up over this at this point in time, too, considering that a 5-seed is about right. If we end up getting a higher seed, it will be because we've earned it, and we have many chances to do that. A win over UNC would be a nice start. In addition, we've got FSU at home, UVA, UNC, 'Cuse, and Miami on the road, and the ACCT to prove to the committee that we're worthy of a higher seed. We've got plenty of opportunities to improve our seeding.

BandAlum83
02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
A couple weeks ago there was talk of turning down an NIT bid. Duke will end up where it deserves. A 3 seed is a goal but who knows right now. Need to get through Thursday first.

Am I the only one who believes that if we win our next 11, we will be a Number one seed?

I actually believe the same for 5 other ACC schools. If any were to win out, it would mean winning the ACC regular season and ACCT.

Doing that in the consensus toughest conference would certainly be deserving, even for a 5 loss school. It might be easier for a Duke because of all of the early season injuries and K being sidelined.

The way commentators talk, it seems only UNC and Virginia are potential #1 seeds (UL dropped out after last night's loss)

Thoughts?

Eakane
02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Paraphrasing Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod.

You're not the only one. I doubt that any of the 6 you have in mind can run the table. I think it's more likely that two ACC teams get one seeds. Team A wins every game except the ACC Championship, Team B wins the championship and every remaining game except against Team A. I challenge you to make a credible argument that either doesn't deserve a one seed.

Normally, teams with 5-7 losses get 2 or 3 seeds, but this is an exceptional year in the ACC where you've got to protect home court and any road win is to be treasured. It's going to be a fun ride for the next 2 months.

Dev11
02-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Am I the only one who believes that if we win our next 11, we will be a Number one seed?

I actually believe the same for 5 other ACC schools. If any were to win out, it would mean winning the ACC regular season and ACCT.

Thoughts?

I agree with you.

These exercises are silly. With a month to go, Duke's outcomes are anywhere from winning out, which I think would result in a 1 seed, to losing out, which I think would result in missing the tournament and getting a high NIT seed. If Duke can win at Notre Dame and lose at home to State within 10 days of each other, anything can happen.

Reading brackets and polls during the season is a good way to drive yourself crazy.

gam7
02-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Reading brackets and polls during the season is a good way to drive yourself crazy.

Wish I had read this advice before seeing that Lunardi's projected path for us (as a 5) is Wisconsin in round 2, Kansas in Sweet 16 and Louisville in Elite 8... and then the final four. Heavens to Betsy!

DukieInKansas
02-07-2017, 06:26 PM
It doesn't matter what seed we are as long as we win our last game of the year.

Let's go, Duke!

9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f

Fish80
02-07-2017, 07:50 PM
It doesn't matter what seed we are as long as we win our last game of the year.

Let's go, Duke!

9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f 9f

Not to quibble, but let's win a few more between now and then. Starting with Thursday.

😳😊

duke4ever19
02-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Joey Brackets is a farce. His weekly updates just serve to stir the pot. I don't understand why he is an "expert."

Hand me the polls, the RPI, and conference championship results on Sunday afternoon and I could mock up the brackets with as much accuracy as Lunardi. I'd miss a team or two, and miss a seed or three, and then I could whine about how the committee got it wrong, even though it is a coin flip.

This is as useless as Joey Brackets' distant cousin, the "if the season ended today" NCAA football sham they pull in late September.

ESPN click bait.

Quick aside:

If you wikipedia Joe Lunardi, it lists his spouse as "Pammy Brackets." There's no way that he didn't write his own wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lunardi

weezie
02-07-2017, 09:15 PM
^^^Are his kids named Tammy and Sammy?

duke4ever19
02-07-2017, 09:18 PM
^^^Are his kids named Tammy and Sammy?

Oh man, I hope so.

martydoesntfoul
02-08-2017, 12:11 AM
If you're looking for hate-ESPN company, don't count me in for Joey "Complete Waste of Time" Lunardi. But do count me in for this: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18642969/michigan-state-nick-ward-gets-technical-foul-apparent-trip-rival

duke4ever19
02-08-2017, 12:39 AM
If you're looking for hate-ESPN company, don't count me in for Joey "Complete Waste of Time" Lunardi. But do count me in for this: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18642969/michigan-state-nick-ward-gets-technical-foul-apparent-trip-rival

Nick Ward thinks he can out-trip the master? Grayson Allen could trip circles around this guy. Amateurs.