PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 2/6-2/12

pfrduke
02-06-2017, 12:19 PM
We've passed the halfway mark with 9 teams at or above .500 in conference play. Eight of those look to be in reasonably good shape for tournament bids, and Syracuse had an impressive week, stealing a win in Raleigh and then mounting a big second half comeback against Virginia (stop me if you've heard that before) to hold court against the Cavaliers at home. The pre-conference resume is still abysmal, and the schedule down the stretch is a challenge (they're the underdog in every remaining game until hosting Georgia Tech on the last day of the season), so I'm still not in the believer camp, but there are plenty of opportunities to earn a bid in front of them. Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, both at 5-6, still have a shouting chance - the Jackets have an easier schedule and will get to 9-9 if they can just defend home court against BC, Syracuse, NC State, and Pitt.

Monday
[3]Virginia (7-3) hosts [2]Louisville* (7-3) (7:00, ESPN)

*without Deng Adel and Mangok Mathiang, suspended for missing curfew

Tuesday
[27]Notre Dame (6-5) hosts [33]Wake Forest (5-6) (7:00, ESPNNews)
[79]Georgia Tech hosts [NR]Tusculum (7:30, ACCN)
[38]Clemson (3-7) hosts [47]Syracuse (7-4) (8:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
[13]Florida State (8-3) hosts [91]NC State (3-8) (7:00, ESPN2)
[141]Boston College (2-9) hosts [73]Pittsburgh (1-9) (7:00, ACCN)
[39]Miami (5-5) hosts [55]Virginia Tech (5-5) (9:00, ACCN)

Thursday an
[15]Duke (6-4) hosts [10]North Carolina (9-2) (8:00, ESPN)

Friday is dark

Saturday
[33]Wake Forest (5-6) hosts [91]NC State (3-8) (12:00, ACCN)
[15]Duke (6-4) hosts [38]Clemson (3-7) (1:00, ACCN)
[73]Pittsburgh (1-9) hosts [47]Syracuse (7-4) (1:00, ACCN)
[2]Louisville (7-3) hosts [39]Miami (5-5) (2:00, ESPN2)
[79]Georgia Tech (5-6) hosts [141]Boston College (2-9) (5:30, ACCN)
[27]Notre Dame (6-5) hosts [13]Florida State (8-3) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday
[55]Virginia Tech (5-5) hosts [3]Virginia (7-3) (6:30, ESPNU)

Tripping William
02-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Many, many thanks for putting these together each week. One correction, though: Isn't our game at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on Thursday (http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2948042/9-north-carolina-vs-18-duke)?

sagegrouse
02-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Many, many thanks for putting these together each week. One correction, though: Isn't our game at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on Thursday (http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2948042/9-north-carolina-vs-18-duke)?

Also, UNC @ Duke on ESPN.

pfrduke
02-06-2017, 02:21 PM

Yes, thanks. Fixed. It's going to be 2:00 a.m. Friday morning for me since I'll be traveling in Europe on business, so having trouble keeping the time straight. Hoping I can convince the hotel bar to stay open.

camion
02-06-2017, 03:37 PM
We don't have a Saturday-Monday quick turnaround, but we do have a late Thursday-early Saturday turnaround. :(

Olympic Fan
02-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Just one comment on tonight's Louisville at Virginia game ...

In addition to Adel and Mathiang, I'm pretty sure the Cards are still without Quentin Snyder (hip flexor) and Tony Hicks (broken hand).

That's four of their top seven-eight players. Including their starting center (Nathiang), their starting point guard (Snyder), their backup point guard (Hicks) and a starting wing (Adel).

Pitino does have depth -- Mahommad can step in for Mathiang and Stockman can take Mahamoond's normal second-string minutes. And the Cards still have plenty of options on the wing. But the absence of the team's only two points guards has to hurt.

Plus, Virginia has OWNED the Cards since they joined the league.

-jk
02-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Just one comment on tonight's Louisville at Virginia game ...

In addition to Adel and Mathiang, I'm pretty sure the Cards are still without Quentin Snyder (hip flexor) and Tony Hicks (broken hand).

That's four of their top seven-eight players. Including their starting center (Nathiang), their starting point guard (Snyder), their backup point guard (Hicks) and a starting wing (Adel).

Pitino does have depth -- Mahommad can step in for Mathiang and Stockman can take Mahamoond's normal second-string minutes. And the Cards still have plenty of options on the wing. But the absence of the team's only two points guards has to hurt.

Plus, Virginia has OWNED the Cards since they joined the league.

Which means, of course, that UVa will lose - given the acc this year...

-jk

Troublemaker
02-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Which means, of course, that UVa will lose - given the acc this year...

-jk

Louisville's been playing so well.

One thing that helps them is that UVA's glacial pace and inability to draw fouls make it so that Lville's lack of perimeter depth in this game won't hurt as much as it would with another opponent.

Olympic Fan
02-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Huge win Tuesday night by Syracuse -- mostly because it was on the road.

I think it's a win that puts them in the NCAA field -- at the moment. In the last three weeks they've gone from an RPI in the 120 range to today, when they are down to 59. That's a little outside the normal range for an at large team (the usual cutoff is in the mid-40s), but Cuse is piling up the wins and looking more and more like an at large team after the wins vs. Virginia and at Clemson.

The current RPI for the ACC's top 10 teams:

UNC - 4
Louisville - 5
FSU - 6
Virginia - 13
Duke - 18
Notre Dame - 27
Wake - 30
Clemson and Miami, tied at 53
Syracuse - 59

Pitt (at 12-11) is No. 61, but even with a decent RPI they aren't getting in until they start to win some games ... a lotof games. The same could be said of Clemson (13-10)

Bob Green
02-11-2017, 05:28 AM
Saturday
[33]Wake Forest (5-6) hosts [91]NC State (3-8) (12:00, ACCN)
[15]Duke (6-4) hosts [38]Clemson (3-7) (1:00, ACCN)
[73]Pittsburgh (1-9) hosts [47]Syracuse (7-4) (1:00, ACCN)
[2]Louisville (7-3) hosts [39]Miami (5-5) (2:00, ESPN2)
[79]Georgia Tech (5-6) hosts [141]Boston College (2-9) (5:30, ACCN)
[27]Notre Dame (6-5) hosts [13]Florida State (8-3) (6:00, ESPN)

Another fun filled Saturday of ACC Basketball is upon us. Outside the Duke game, NCSU at Wake and FSU at Notre Dame appear to be the most interesting match-ups. Hopefully the Irish can knock off the ACC leading Seminoles. While State is in 13th place in the ACC and Wake is in 11th, it is a Tobacco Road showdown so it interest me.

Doria
02-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Another fun filled Saturday of ACC Basketball is upon us. Outside the Duke game, NCSU at Wake and FSU at Notre Dame appear to be the most interesting match-ups. Hopefully the Irish can knock off the ACC leading Seminoles. While State is in 13th place in the ACC and Wake is in 11th, it is a Tobacco Road showdown so it interest me.

Although given NCSU's... uh, problems with consistency, I'd rather them drop this game in favor of a transcendent effort in their next one:p

I'm also interested in Louisville vs Miami. I'm sure Louisville will take this, but I'd love for Miami to sneak a road win here!

PackMan97
02-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Although given NCSU's... uh, problems with consistency, I'd rather them drop this game in favor of a transcendent effort in their next one:p

I'm not sure this team is capable of any sort of effort at the moment, let alone a transcendent one. I think this is likely the last straw. Getting rolled by 30 against the 11th place team in the conference just isn't acceptable.

Doria
02-11-2017, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure this team is capable of any sort of effort at the moment, let alone a transcendent one. I think this is likely the last straw. Getting rolled by 30 against the 11th place team in the conference just isn't acceptable.

Yeah, also not good when DSJ asks to come out because he's done, and Anya dares a fan to meet him outside... (Full disclosure, I really like Anya, just as a person, so it must be really bad for him to react like that.) Sorry about the game, though.

PackMan97
02-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Yeah, also not good when DSJ asks to come out because he's done, and Anya dares a fan to meet him outside... (Full disclosure, I really like Anya, just as a person, so it must be really bad for him to react like that.) Sorry about the game, though.

I didn't realize the game was at noon, so I was out running errands so I didn't get to witness the debacle. First time since Les and we had 8 guys on scholarship that we've dropped three ACC games by 25+ points in a season. /smfh

devildeac
02-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Apparently the game thread on PackPride was "Wake Today, Funeral in March." Brutal. Funny, but brutal.

PackMan97
02-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Apparently the game thread on PackPride was "Wake Today, Funeral in March." Brutal. Funny, but brutal.

That's the "Fire Gott" thread.

Olympic Fan
02-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Well, Pitt helped us by knocking off Syracuse ... too bad Miami couldn't quite hold on at Louisville. Great effort by the Canes, however.

I'd love to see Notre Dame take care of FSU later today ... and good luck Virginia Tech against Virginia in Blacksburg tomorrow.

As of this moment, Duke is currently tied with Louisville for fourth place.

If Notre Dame and Virginia Tech could win, we would essentially be in a four-way tie for second (actually FSU would have a half-game lead, but Duke, Virginia, Louisville and FSU would all have four ACC losses).

Troublemaker
02-11-2017, 07:53 PM
The supposedly slow Notre Dame team has been killing FSU off the dribble today.

CameronBlue
02-11-2017, 07:58 PM
That's the "Fire Gott" thread.

Incidental music by Chopin.

unclsam1
02-11-2017, 08:03 PM
FSU 7 of 22 from the foul line.

Bob Green
02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Final: Notre Dame 84, FSU 72. Bonzie Colson destroyed FSU with 33 points and 13 rebounds.

vick
02-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Another clankfest from Bacon (5-13 FGs, 2-6 FTs), who appears to have become this year's C. J. Fair: a good player who gets elevated to 1st-team ACC/POY discussion early in the season and stays there despite actual performance not even close to justifying it.

Troublemaker
02-12-2017, 08:43 PM
No matter what happens the rest of the game, it can't beat the craziness of that ball stopping on the rim at 68-68 towards the end of 1OT for a jumpball.

Going to 2OT now...

lotusland
02-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Why is VT wearing dark at home? Is that normal for them?

tbyers11
02-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Perrantes' layup just sitting there was bizarre. I have seen that happen occasionally, but never with 20 sec left in a tie game.

Troublemaker
02-12-2017, 08:59 PM
lol at Cory's analysis. "You do not want to do anything quickly" when VT had the ball in an obvious 2 for 1 situation. Good thing the Hokies were aware.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-12-2017, 09:00 PM
I haven't enjoyed a basketball game this much since Thursday night.

DU82
02-12-2017, 09:01 PM
lol at Cory's analysis. "You do not want to do anything quickly" when VT had the ball in an obvious 2 for 1 situation. Good thing the Hokies were aware.

I yelled the same thing. For some reason he didn't respond. AND...it did matter.

arnie
02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
I yelled the same thing. For some reason he didn't respond. AND...it did matter.

Crazy year!

Stray Gator
02-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Down goes Virginia. Now let's extend their skid on Wednesday night.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Did they just win the national championship?

lotusland
02-12-2017, 09:04 PM
VT in good shape for dancing at this point

lotusland
02-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Did they just win the national championship?

I can forgive them for storming the court after a win against their Rival. Lots to be excited about in Blacksburg

Troublemaker

For sure. If the Hokies had listened to Cory, we'd be going to 3OT right now.

dukelifer
Down goes Virginia. Now let's extend their skid on Wednesday night.

Va Tech can be a tough out- particularly at home. Other than the loss to State ( a game Duke had under control)- Duke's losses are not that bad.

Utley
02-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Good win for us by Va Tech. Not sure Allen is the hero there - missed just about everything he took the last 15 minutes but hit the final shot.

We are definitely back in the thick of it. I would love to see us win this thing but am most focused on getting a top 4 seed. I believe there are 5 elite teams in the ACC - someone is going to be on the wrong end of that.

It also helps make our loss there look a little less bad (although the size was admittedly much larger) and hopefully took a little extra out of UVA for the game on Wednesday.

CDu
02-12-2017, 09:10 PM
There is now just one team in the conference with fewer conference losses (3) than us (4). We are very much alive for that #1 spot.

duketaylor
02-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Not sure why anyone really cares about regular season records in regard to who "wins" the #1 seed in the tourney. Means nothing. Looking at the remaining schedule Louisville and FSU have easiest road, IMO. Heels and Hoos play twice and we play each once. I just want to be in top 4 and then move into a 3-seed or better for Big Dance. New bracketology tomorrow will be interesting. We should be a 3-seed and be ranked about 12th. Wisky loses, UVA loses.

Amazing how 2 weeks ago some are thinking we'd be hard-pressed for a bid. Sky falling, etc.

Let's get Amile healthy and Harry closer to healthy, then....

CDu
02-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Not sure why anyone really cares about regular season records in regard to who "wins" the #1 seed in the tourney. Means nothing. Looking at the remaining schedule Louisville and FSU have easiest road, IMO. Heels and Hoos play twice and we play each once. I just want to be in top 4 and then move into a 3-seed or better for Big Dance. New bracketology tomorrow will be interesting. We should be a 3-seed and be ranked about 12th. Wisky loses, UVA loses.

Amazing how 2 weeks ago some are thinking we'd be hard-pressed for a bid. Sky falling, etc.

Let's get Amile healthy and Harry closer to healthy, then...

It doesn't mean nothing. We hang banners in Cameron for getting that ACC 1 seed. And we haven't hung any sort of ACC banner in a while now. You may not care about those banners, but they are not nothing.

Plus, if we are the 1 seed, we will get better than a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

nocilla
02-13-2017, 11:07 AM
It doesn't mean nothing. We hang banners in Cameron for getting that ACC 1 seed. And we haven't hung any sort of ACC banner in a while now. You may not care about those banners, but they are not nothing.

Plus, if we are the 1 seed, we will get better than a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

If we win the Regular Season Title we will have earned it after playing the entire top half of the ACC on the road.

I'm usually in the camp of the Tournament Title is the one that matters, but winning this regular season would mean something. With the start we had and the road to get there it would be very impressive.