PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode #70: Another Trivia Quiz

Dev11
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Today I reveal my bottom 1% IT ability among millennials who post on message boards. Enjoy!

Links:
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:

0:10 Jason welcomes us as he cries about his Falcons blowing the Super Bowl and tries to find a Duke equivalence.

3:00 We move on to recap the game against the “Pitt Pampers.” Sam was at the game and was impressed with Pitt’s size.

10:40 Jason waxes poetic on Grayson Allen’s magical final 7 minutes of the game.

15:20 “Let’s talk about the bench” -- Sam says Harry Giles’ defense is still preventing him from getting more playing time.

18:45 Sam gives us the view from the stands of what Coach K looked like in his first game back.

22:35 Time for the Carolina preview. We each give our one key to the game… Donald says it is energy and feeding off Cameron, Sam says we need to frustrate Joel Berry, and Jason says we must rebound.

34:05 Tenting Quiz- Part 2. Donald and Sam prove they are worthy of getting to the front of the Black tenting line for the Carolina game.

52:30 Parting Shots – Sam gets us into a conversation about how much we love our listeners which devolves into a peek inside Sam’s digital ineptitude.

56:45 Parting Shot – Donald also shares a story of meeting podcast fans

59:40 Parting Shot – Jason tells us about JJ Redick’s intellect

1:04:05 Player of the week – Grayson Allen

UrinalCake
02-06-2017, 10:33 AM
I said this in the off topic board but the Duke equivalent would be our loss to Texas A&M in the 2013 Chic Fil-A Bowl. We came in as huge underdogs, got off to a great start and went up something like 21-0. Could have had an even bigger lead at halftime but were feeling great about ourselves nonetheless. Then in the second half Manziel does his best Brady impression and just can't be stopped; even when we were still up by a touchdown it felt like all the pressure was on us. We couldn't hold onto the lead and they went on to win.

To me the flow of the game had a very similar feel. Like the Falcons, the game would have been a chance to vault our program into national relevance, but we missed the opportunity.

BandAlum83
02-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Sorry guys, I won't be listening to this Podcast. I have instituted a personal news blackout of #SBLIdebacle. Thanks for the heads up on the run down.

If you can assure that after the first few minutes it isn't mentioned, I will down load and slide forward in time.

#Indenial #inmourning

JasonEvans
02-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Sorry guys, I won't be listening to this Podcast. I have instituted a personal news blackout of #SBLIdebacle. Thanks for the heads up on the run down.

If you can assure that after the first few minutes it isn't mentioned, I will down load and slide forward in time.

#Indenial #inmourning

The "game that shall not be talked about" is only talked about in the first 2-3 minutes at the most. After that it is all Duke (and UNC preview).

So, go ahead and listen!

JasonEvans
02-06-2017, 07:13 PM
By the way, here is the JJ Redick article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-clippers-redick-20170204-story.html)I talked about in the pod... good read!

“I’m a voracious reader … and I’ve become sort of obsessed with Trump in the last six months. I don’t really speak about it, not because it’s not my place or I don’t have a voice — I do. But I would say this: There’s been a lot of jokes and side comments from people in the league about [White House Press Secretary] Sean Spicer and alternative facts and all that stuff, but I don’t think any of it is funny.

“I’m actually horrified right now. People who are losing their healthcare, women who are losing their right to decide what to do with their body, that’s not funny to me. So, you can joke about crowd size [at Trump’s inauguration] and all of that B.S., but it’s not funny.”

A younger Reddick, especially the cocky sharpshooter many loved to hate at Duke from 2002 to 2006, would not have held, let alone voiced, such strong political opinions.

But Redick is 32 now, in his 11th NBA season, and he and his wife, Chelsea, have two sons, 2˝-year-old Knox and 5-month-old Kai. With age, experience — and especially fatherhood — has come maturity, a more serious approach to life and basketball and increased social awareness.

--Jason "please note, I think the good read here is not because of JJ's politics, but to hear what a thoughtful and intellectual person he has become" Evans

UrinalCake
02-06-2017, 07:46 PM
^ thanks for the link, it was a great read about one of our program's great embassadors. The podcast he did over the summer was excellent, had some great guests and fantastic discussion on basketball and many other topics as well. Second only to the DBR podcast, of course 8-)

duke4ever19
02-07-2017, 01:54 PM
By the way, here is the JJ Redick article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-clippers-redick-20170204-story.html)I talked about in the pod... good read!

--Jason "please note, I think the good read here is not because of JJ's politics, but to hear what a thoughtful and intellectual person he has become" Evans

Alas, J.J. Redick is 32-year old man who reads op-eds and has sincere opinions on politics. He is one mid-life crisis away from becoming the typical American male.

BandAlum83
02-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Alas, J.J. Redick is 32-year old man who reads op-eds and has sincere opinions on politics. He is one mid-life crisis away from becoming the typical American male.

Cynic! (and I mean that in the nicest way). ;)

grad_devil
02-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Didn't Miami join the ACC in 2004?

Technically, when Danny Ferry scored 58 points against Miami in 1988, it wasn't an ACC contest, just a regular contest, correct?

Love the podcast - much better audio balance this time!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Didn't Miami join the ACC in 2004?

Technically, when Danny Ferry scored 58 points against Miami in 1988, it wasn't an ACC contest, just a regular contest, correct?

Love the podcast - much better audio balance this time!
Correct. And if I remember, when listening to Bob Harris's broadcast of that game, Miami had just restarted their bball team that year after not playing for several. So beating Miami was expected. Ferry scoring 58 was not!

Guys, love the podcasts! Listened to #70 yesterday while driving. I misses Art Heyman, #25, hanging in the rafters (can't see his banner from my seat in Cameron!) but I got Ferry on the last question. I'll join you in Tent #1! GTHc!

Dev11
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Correct. And if I remember, when listening to Bob Harris's broadcast of that game, Miami had just restarted their bball team that year after not playing for several. So beating Miami was expected. Ferry scoring 58 was not!

Guys, love the podcasts! Listened to #70 yesterday while driving. I misses Art Heyman, #25, hanging in the rafters (can't see his banner from my seat in Cameron!) but I got Ferry on the last question. I'll join you in Tent #1! GTHc!

I have a distinct memory of a trivia contest between all of the freshman dorms in 2007 that I won for Bassett for knowing all of the Defensive Players of the Year, so I'm a little upset that somewhere along the way I forgot about Billy King. Clearly I have studying to do.

As Jason mentioned this week, if you have questions or ideas for us, feel free to post them in these threads or PM to any of us (the hosts are me, blazindw, and JasonEvans).

JasonEvans
02-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Well, let's not downplay the accomplishment too much.

Miami did rejoin D1 basketball in 1985, but it is not like they came in as a meek, overmatched program. They hired Clemson's Bill Foster to run the program and were immediately competitive going 14-14 in his first year. By the time Ferry was scoring 58 against them, it was the 1988-89 season and Miami was 4 years into their D1 tenure. So, there wasn't a single player left on the roster who could recall the pre-D1 days. What's more, they went 19-12 that season, clearly a fairly good team.

That 58 point game was played at Miami and the game was only broadcast live on the Florida Sportschannel (which would go on to be called The Sunshine Network, I think). It was not available on cable in the Triangle so me and my buddies all went to a local sportsbar to watch. I would say there were no more than a few hundred people on campus who saw that game live. Let me tell you, we were all talking about it the next day. I vaguely recall that the Duke Store made a VHS copy of the game and put it on sale a day or so after it happened, it was that special. The dizzying array of mid-range jumpers he hit in that game... wow... a forgotten art, I think.

-Jason "enjoy ------->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvPvBTIwkAM" Evans