PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Returning for Pitt Game

Eternal Outlaw
02-02-2017, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/827291384210190336

Picture of K and Goat emoji included in tweet from DukeMBB about Saturday...

Ballboy1998
02-02-2017, 06:19 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/827291384210190336

Picture of K and Goat emoji included in tweet from DukeMBB about Saturday...

Just heard on ESPN that he is expected to return for Pitt. Go Duke!

richardjackson199
02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Just heard on ESPN that he is expected to return for Pitt. Go Duke!

Yep.
Dana O'Neil - "Duke confirms Mike Krzyzewski will return to the sidelines on Saturday against Pitt. Has been out with back surgery for the month. Second game - North Carolina on Thursday at Cameron."

freshmanjs
02-02-2017, 06:25 PM
I think if we went back to Jan 6 and said that Capel would be 4-3 during the 4 week stretch, we wouldn't have been too surprised. A bit of a swap on NCSU vs ND for the 3rd loss, but stuff happens. I think Jeff did well and his "audition" went fine (to the extent it's relevant, which I think is little).

Troublemaker
02-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Excellent news!

And yes, Coach Capel did very well during his stint. He discovered some things that worked, some things that didn't, and had the team improving throughout the 7-game stretch.

DukieInKansas
02-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Welcome back, Coach K. Thank you, Coach Capel, for standing in some pretty big shoes.

Troublemaker
02-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Coach K speaks for >5 minutes about his return and what he's been doing: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5930998

Compliments Jeff for doing a "marvelous job," discusses the lack of continuity on this team, thanks the well-wishers, etc.

MarkD83
02-02-2017, 07:46 PM
My only fear is that he is trying to rush back too soon, which was a big issue in 1995. However, I will trust his doctor's and his judgement. More importantly Mickie's judgement.

gep
02-02-2017, 11:42 PM
My only fear is that he is trying to rush back too soon, which was a big issue in 1995. However, I will trust his doctor's and his judgement. More importantly Mickie's judgement.

This is the key... so if he's back on the sidelines, you know that he's READY.:cool: GO DUKE!!!

Edouble
02-03-2017, 09:04 AM
I think if we went back to Jan 6 and said that Capel would be 4-3 during the 4 week stretch, we wouldn't have been too surprised. A bit of a swap on NCSU vs ND for the 3rd loss, but stuff happens. I think Jeff did well and his "audition" went fine (to the extent it's relevant, which I think is little).

I would have been surprised... coming off of a 110-57 scorching of the same Ga Tech team that beat unc by 12 points, with Harry getting his first start, no less.

I don't think I was the only one around here who thought that the juggernault had finally arrived. I'm not too proud to admit that I would have been disappointed to hear that we would go 4-3 over the remainder of January.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Great to have Coach K back and thanks to Coach Capel for holding down the fort. The good news for K is that we have three straight home games, a road trip (I assume) to UVA, and no airplane travel until Syracuse on Feb. 22. I'm sure that on flights he isn't squeezed into the middle seat of the last row of coach on commercial flights, but staying off of any planes for a few more weeks should help his rehab.

Billy Dat
02-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Here's what Mickie had to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPgPrtOxvK4

NashvilleDevil
02-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Here's what Mickie had to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPgPrtOxvK4

He is going to eat lightning and crap thunder?

Troublemaker
02-03-2017, 10:28 AM
I would have been surprised... coming off of a 110-57 scorching of the same Ga Tech team that beat unc by 12 points, with Harry getting his first start, no less.

I don't think I was the only one around here who thought that the juggernault had finally arrived. I'm not too proud to admit that I would have been disappointed to hear that we would go 4-3 over the remainder of January.

True. I would modify to say that once Amile went down in the BC game, it would not have been surprising to go 3-3 after that.

freshmanjs
02-03-2017, 10:32 AM
True. I would modify to say that once Amile went down in the BC game, it would not have been surprising to go 3-3 after that.

Agree and I should have said that!

Jarhead
02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Well, now wee know who Mike's successor will be. Any questions? We'll start with, "When?"

flyingdutchdevil
02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Well, now wee know who Mike's successor will be. Any questions? We'll start with, "When?"

Chris Collins or Jeff Capel? Actually, I have no idea who the successor will be. Maybe Mike Brey is actually 47 instead of 57 years old...

CrazyNotCrazie
02-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Mike Cragg is retiring? :)

Kfanarmy
02-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Excellent news!

And yes, Coach Capel did very well during his stint. He discovered some things that worked, some things that didn't, and had the team improving throughout the 7-game stretch.

He did ok....I think 4-3 from any team is not "very well" but it is acceptable given the circumstance.

BD80
02-03-2017, 01:53 PM
He is going to eat lightning and crap thunder?

Some of the meds he was taking were a little rough on the system ...

CDu
02-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Well, if there was any concern about this being a trap game, I think the return of Coach K should hopefully help reduce/eliminate that risk. Looking forward to having him back on the sidelines!

Troublemaker
02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
He did ok...I think 4-3 from any team is not "very well" but it is acceptable given the circumstance.

"Given the circumstances" is the key part. Looking at just the 4-3 record is a shallow way of approaching things, imo.

CDu
02-03-2017, 02:51 PM
"Given the circumstances" is the key part. Looking at just the 4-3 record is a shallow way of approaching things, imo.

Yeah, 4-3 with a healthy Jefferson? Maybe not so hot. But with Jefferson missing multiple games and being limited in others it doesn't look so bad.

I think a healthy Jefferson would have put the bar at 6-1 or 5-2.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Well, if there was any concern about this being a trap game, I think the return of Coach K should hopefully help reduce/eliminate that risk. Looking forward to having him back on the sidelines!

Yeah, trap games are for teams that are rolling. If we come out flat for this game with or without K, it would bode very poorly.

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah, trap games are for teams that are rolling. If we come out flat for this game with or without K, it would bode very poorly.

We are rolling! We have a 3 game winning streak going. Better than anyone else in the ACC can say!

Let's make it 4 tomorrow!

Go Duke!!!!

tbyers11
02-03-2017, 03:25 PM
We are rolling! We have a 3 game winning streak going. Better than anyone else in the ACC can say!

Let's make it 4 tomorrow!

Go Duke!!!!

Umm, except we only have a 2 game winning streak.

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Umm, except we only have a 2 game winning streak.

I thought so, too. But it says 3 on the ACC standings shown on ESPN.

Only it doesn't, my eyes didn't follow the line to its correct end.

Syracuse has the 3 game win streak.

Nevermind....

gofurman
02-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I thought so, too. But it says 3 on the ACC standings shown on ESPN.

Only it doesn't, my eyes didn't follow the line to its correct end.

Syracuse has the 3 game win streak.

Nevermind...

As someone else noted..trap games are for teams in top ten etc. Teams currently sitting at 5-4 in conference aren't really ones I see as susceptible to trap games. Wasn't NC State our last home game? we NEED this win. Looking at the schedule I still say 10-8 or so in conference is about our predictive finish. RPI agrees w me. Teams slated for 10-8 in conference and a 4/5 seed shouldn't utter the words 'trap game'

Cool site
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Duke.html

Predicts that we finish w 22 wins or so. Gives the spread on each game. Go to the link and as you page down you see probability of possible finishes ..20 wins. 21 wins. 22 wins etc. and probability of winning each game in terms of spread. Underdogs at UNC and UVA