PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl ads

rthomas
01-31-2017, 08:16 PM
This year, being a Steelers fan, I'm not that interested in the Super Bowl, except that I want Brady and the cheaters to lose in a big way, so I turn to the commercials.

Looking forward to the Budweiser ad, which throws serious shade at Trump's immigration policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcE2IvvrfA

I think I will buy a six pack of Bud for the the first time in a decade.

What are your favorite 2017 Super Bowl ads?

DukieInKansas
01-31-2017, 08:32 PM
I really wish they wouldn't show them early. Seeing them for the first time during the game is half the fun.

And I'm pulling for the Falcons since I lived there for 11 months and 5 days. :D

weezie
01-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Yeah, why ARE they showing these early? Won't we get enough political commentary during the actual halftime show now that Gaga shamed the NFL into backing off when she publicized the league request to just sing and not make statements?
Doubt I could be less interested in the Largest Bowl this year.

But apparently, some MLB teams sent equipment ahead to spring training camps, so there's that.

DukieInKansas
01-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah, why ARE they showing these early? Won't we get enough political commentary during the actual halftime show now that Gaga shamed the NFL into backing off when she publicized the league request to just sing and not make statements?
Doubt I could be less interested in the Largest Bowl this year.

But apparently, some MLB teams sent equipment ahead to spring training camps, so there's that.

Sadly, the Royals will have a big hole to fill very unexpectedly. It has been a rough week around here.

moonpie23
01-31-2017, 10:28 PM

just as GaGA CRUSHED the best National Anthem ever at SB L last year, look for her to up the bar for all future halftime shows.

GaGa is amazing.....her talent level, elite.

JasonEvans
01-31-2017, 10:37 PM
This ad does a poor job of making me want to use the product/company, but the ad itself is really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAtpM9jgCAQ

weezie
02-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Sadly, the Royals will have a big hole to fill very unexpectedly. It has been a rough week around here.

Yes, that was a terrible blow. Such a bright light extinguised.

just as GaGA CRUSHED the best National Anthem ever at SB L last year, look for her to up the bar for all future halftime shows...

No doubting that. I was bracing for her to make some big opinion statement after NPR reported a few weeks back that the NFL had asked her to avoid politics but aparently that was wrong on their (and my) part. It's being reported that never happened now so turn up the volume Gaga!

DukieInKansas
02-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes, that was a terrible blow. Such a bright light extinguised.

No doubting that. I was bracing for her to make some big opinion statement after NPR reported a few weeks back that the NFL had asked her to avoid politics but aparently that was wrong on their (and my) part. It's being reported that never happened now so turn up the volume Gaga!

I had never really known much about Lady GaGa other than she sometimes wore outfits made out of strange materials. I think it was on the Oscars that she sang something from the Sound of Music and she blew me away. What an amazing voice.

(Yes, I lived in Texas and learned to like country music so that is what I listen to the most.)

duke74
02-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Rewatch it every year about this time. And always...always tear up.

https://youtu.be/2-_qRS4Li7A

mattman91
02-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Budweiser sucks.

camion
02-02-2017, 11:23 AM
I had never really known much about Lady GaGa other than she sometimes wore outfits made out of strange materials. I think it was on the Oscars that she sang something from the Sound of Music and she blew me away. What an amazing voice.

(Yes, I lived in Texas and learned to like country music so that is what I listen to the most.)

I don't generally go for the type of music that she is most popular for, but there's no denying that she is very talented and can sing just about anything.

A link to the 2015 Oscar performance. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeS2_eBqoSg)

moonpie23
02-02-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't generally go for the type of music that she is most popular for, but there's no denying that she is very talented and can sing just about anything.

A link to the 2015 Oscar performance. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeS2_eBqoSg)

don't mean to hijack the thread, but here is a GAGA bit that gives her cred with music royalty... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EbB8Stse8)

and if you liked that........

check out Robert Downey Jr making me ask the question "is there anything this guy CAN'T do?" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1crxmBTxRlM)

left_hook_lacey
02-02-2017, 12:25 PM

It shouldn't bother you. You've lived in Atlanta for 11 months and 5 days. You are a Braves fan? No? :cool:

DukieInKansas
02-02-2017, 02:40 PM
It shouldn't bother you. You've lived in Atlanta for 11 months and 5 days. You are a Braves fan? No? :cool:

I would root for them but I can have enough futile fandom following the Royals. (I will almost always root for a National League team over an American League team, unless it is the Royals. I still can't get used to the Astros being in the AL now.) There is no logic to fandom, is there?

weezie
02-03-2017, 04:22 PM
...I can have enough futile fandom following the Royals...

Geez DinK, at least you have a WS trophy to keep you warm over there! You are a tough customer!!!

Devilwin
02-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Budweiser sucks.

Yes it does. And so does social commentary in a beer ad.:mad:

Jeffrey
02-03-2017, 06:11 PM
GaGa is amazing....her talent level, elite.

She will be selling elite (Tiffanys) in one Superbowl ad. It's Tiffanys attempt to attract millennials.

Jeffrey
02-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Yes it does. And so does social commentary in a beer ad.:mad:

In strongly divided 2017 America, I do not understand why any company would pay big bucks, for a Superbowl ad, and basically offend roughly half the country with a social commentary (either direction). Does not seem like a prudent business decision.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 06:40 PM
In strongly divided 2017 America, I do not understand why any company would pay big bucks, for a Superbowl ad, and basically offend roughly half the country with a social commentary (either direction). Does not seem like a prudent business decision.

We certainly agree on that. One has to wonder about some of these Executives.

DukieInKansas
02-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Geez DinK, at least you have a WS trophy to keep you warm over there! You are a tough customer!!!

True but the 30 years between them is hard to forget. The Tiggers will get theirs soon.

weezie
02-03-2017, 09:12 PM
What's this? Beyonce-Z rumored to possibly have her pregnant self lowered via crane from the ceiling of the NRG Dome or something?

Geez, the suspense is killing me. Yawwnnnn.

I miss Prince. :(

BD80
02-04-2017, 04:29 AM
True but the 30 years between them is hard to forget. The Tiggers will get theirs soon.

Cubbies soon? Within the next century?

OldPhiKap
02-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Let's see what we have . . .

Devilwin
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Add Coca Cola to the list..

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 08:48 PM

The Coca-Cola ad built on a theme from last year of internationalism and cultural differences. Didn't seem out of place to me, and didn't strike me as a Trump reaction.

duketaylor
02-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Least of our worries, but funny ad!!

Dirty Birds rule!!

Devilwin
02-05-2017, 08:58 PM
The Coca-Cola ad built on a theme from last year of internationalism and cultural differences. Didn't seem out of place to me, and didn't strike me as a Trump reaction.

Maybe I read too much into it, but it seems to me to be too coincidental.
I loved the Cam Newton Buick ad..lol

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Loved the tease for Stranger Things

Devilwin
02-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Can't wait for ads. The game sucks.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:03 PM

Agreed. And Gaga didn't do much for me except make me feel old.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2017, 09:08 PM
This game is GREAT!

Only really good commercials so far for me are for the Avocados from Mexico, and for Skittles.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Christopher Walken and Justin Timberlake was okayish.

brevity
02-05-2017, 09:10 PM

1971-2016: Starting with Don Draper's "Hilltop", Coca-Cola promotes global culture in their ads.
2017: By promoting global culture, Coca-Cola is deeply offensive.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:11 PM
1971-2016: Starting with Don Draper's "Hilltop", Coca-Cola promotes global culture in their ads.

Touché

FadedTackyShirt
02-05-2017, 09:11 PM

84 Lumber ad was blatantly anti-Trump. Bud ad was much ado about nothing, clearly legal immigrants. Indians weren't pro immigration, but a backlash to legal immigration?

4 or 5 ads that conceivably could be interpreted as anti-Trump, but no offsetting pro-Trump ads.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:13 PM
84 Lumber ad was blatantly anti-Trump. Bud ad was much ado about nothing, clearly legal immigrants. Indians weren't pro immigration, but a backlash to legal immigration?

4 or 5 ads that conceivably could be interpreted as anti-Trump, but no offsetting pro-Trump ads.

The 84 Lumber ad was a woman and child trekking across the land. Lots of subtext, sure. Didn't say much, but left lots of room for folks to get upset if you want I guess. Not sure how a mother and daughter hitchhiking is anti-Trump.

El_Diablo
02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
The Fast and Furious 8 parody trailer was hilarious! I could not stop laughing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
The Fast and Furious 8 parody trailer was hilarious! I could not stop laughing.

Yeah... about that...

rthomas
02-05-2017, 09:46 PM

Those who have decided to boycott Budweiser, are probably drinking Bud Light, not realizing it is the same global company.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Who cares about the ads - the game is interesting again!

davekay1971
02-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Those who have decided to boycott Budweiser, are probably drinking Bud Light, not realizing it is the same global company.

Probably better for those folks to venture over to the Beer thread here on DBR and get some better suggestions.

weezie
02-05-2017, 11:04 PM

Maybe their mothers drank Bud and/or Bud Light while they were pregnant.

Wait, what was the four years of bad hair advertising again?

weezie
02-06-2017, 08:14 AM
We were wondering what happened to the poor guy in the boat in the middle of the lake during the Ford ad.

Nobody came to save him!!!

Reilly
02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
We were wondering what happened to the poor guy in the boat in the middle of the lake during the Ford ad.

Nobody came to save him!!!

Send Joe Alleva to get him?

DukieInKansas
02-06-2017, 10:35 AM

And it wasn't a new commercial, was it? I seem to recall having seen it for quite a while now.

DukieInKansas
02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I liked the Skittles "Romance the Rainbow" and Cam Newton/Buick ads.

The Hyundai ad filmed during the first half and aired at the end was pretty impressive.

Jeffrey
02-06-2017, 10:39 AM

We must have watched a different game. I loved the one I watched.

BLPOG
02-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I loved the Cam Newton Buick ad..lol

Nah, Coke has been doing international/cultures of the world/feel-good-humanity stuff for years.

Wander
02-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Yeah, in order to find a wildly popular and successful brand that built social commentary into their model you have to go all the way back to.... halftime of this Super Bowl.

Jeffrey
02-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah, in order to find a wildly popular and successful brand that built social commentary into their model you have to go all the way back to... halftime of this Super Bowl.

Are you confusing social responsibility and social commentary? Attacking Trump's proposed policies (since basically half of America appears to support them) is a very different strategy than corporate social responsibility (which almost all of America appears to support). IMO, one makes business sense, one does not.

weezie
02-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Send Joe Alleva to get him?

Ding, ding, ding!!!

CrazyNotCrazie
02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
I tend to agree with the political stances being espoused by these advertisers, but these ads did not really make me any more likely to buy their products, while I think they made a lot of people less likely to buy their products. I am fully conversant in the idea of building brand loyalty, etc. but as much as it is nice to know someone at the company or at their ad agency is on the same page as me politically, that isn't really driving my purchasing decision. Or to loosely paraphrase Michael Jordan, "Republicans buy sneakers too."

Jeffrey
02-06-2017, 03:03 PM
I tend to agree with the political stances being espoused by these advertisers, but these ads did not really make me any more likely to buy their products, while I think they made a lot of people less likely to buy their products. I am fully conversant in the idea of building brand loyalty, etc. but as much as it is nice to know someone at the company or at their ad agency is on the same page as me politically, that isn't really driving my purchasing decision. Or to loosely paraphrase Michael Jordan, "Republicans buy sneakers too."

Exactly, stockholders want the CEO to increase shareholder value. The CEO can make political, religious, etc. stances on their own dime and time.

elvis14
02-06-2017, 04:00 PM
I really liked the Cam Newton and the Skittles ad for entertainment purposes.

As for the Bud, Coke, 84 Lumber, etc. I whole heartedly applaud them. Sometimes taking the high road is more important the the bottom line. I am 100% more likely to support a business that is openly anti-Trump.

Devilwin
02-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Hey Jeffrey, the first half did suck. The game was a tale of two halves.

Devilwin
02-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I really liked the Cam Newton and the Skittles ad for entertainment purposes.

As for the Bud, Coke, 84 Lumber, etc. I whole heartedly applaud them. Sometimes taking the high road is more important the the bottom line. I am 100% more likely to support a business that is openly anti-Trump.
I missed the 84 Lumber ad, but someone told me today it mocked illegal immigration.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-07-2017, 06:52 AM
I missed the 84 Lumber ad, but someone told me today it mocked illegal immigration.

Interesting interpretation... hard to see how it mocked anything. Was a pretty serious ad.

Jeffrey
02-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Hey Jeffrey, the first half did suck. The game was a tale of two halves.

I found the first half almost as good as the second. It amazed me how many different tweaks Belichick was making to try to stop Shanahan's offense. I thought Julio Jones had two catches equal to any of Jerry Rice's Superbowl catches and Ryan had one of the greatest Superbowl QB performances. Sure, almost everyone will talk about what Brady did in the second half. But, it does not matter unless Bellichick completely turns the table on Shanahan.

nmduke2001
02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Interesting interpretation... hard to see how it mocked anything. Was a pretty serious ad.

I've seen the entire 84 Lumber commercial 3 times now and I still don't know what it's about. At first I thought it was pro-immigration. Then, I thought that they were projecting the company building the wall, so it was pro-wall. Now, I'm just not sure.

The CEO is pro-wall. "Maggie Hardy Magerko, owner and CEO of 84 Lumber, told People magazine that she backs Trump’s proposed border wall with Mexico but didn’t intend to take a political stand with the emotional advertisement." As quoted in the press, "We need to keep America safe,” Magerko told People. “America needs to be safe so you and I can have the liberty to talk… The wall, I think it represents, to me, security. I like security.”

I guess an ad agency can successfully say they've brought attention to a company when that company is both praised and ridiculed by both parties for the same exact ad.

FadedTackyShirt
02-07-2017, 11:36 AM
I also watched the entire 84 Lumber ad on their website and agree it was a jumbled mess. Have no idea what the message or who their intended target audience/market was.

Wander
02-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I've seen the entire 84 Lumber commercial 3 times now and I still don't know what it's about.

Same. It's super overtly political, so I can understand people not liking it, although I have no idea which "side" is supposed to like it or not like it.

The Coke and Budweiser adds were super innocuous though. You gotta check your sensitivity meter if those bothered you.

rthomas
02-07-2017, 12:49 PM
I loved that Trump supporters were so upset about Budweiser's commercial, where white people were immigrating to America in the early 1900's, that they started a #boycott, but couldn't even spell Budweiser correctly. So now, of course, #boycottbudwiser is getting the treatment.

What all of these boycotters and people upset about commercials don't seem to understand is that these are global companies.

camion
02-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Same. It's super overtly political, so I can understand people not liking it, although I have no idea which "side" is supposed to like it or not like it.

The Coke and Budweiser adds were super innocuous though. You gotta check your sensitivity meter if those bothered you.

I have found in my young life that if I try hard I can be offended by anything. :mad: :)

Indoor66
02-07-2017, 03:40 PM
I have found in my young life that if I try hard I can be offended by anything. :mad: :)

Or if you want a pleasant life be tolerant and be offended by almost nothing.😎