PDA

View Full Version : Going to First Duke game

odoyle2004
01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm flying in from South Dakota for my first Duke game and I'm looking at buying General Admission Tickets. I know that is generally the student section but if I buy the General Admission tickets off of Stubhub do I need to be a student to sit in that section? Just don't want to fly there only to find out my tickets aren't valid. Thanks.

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm flying in from South Dakota for my first Duke game and I'm looking at buying General Admission Tickets. I know that is generally the student section but if I buy the General Admission tickets off of Stubhub do I need to be a student to sit in that section? Just don't want to fly there only to find out my tickets aren't valid. Thanks.

General Admin tickets on stub hub aren't the student section. You can't buy student section tickets at Duke (at least undergrad or grad tickets).

You'll be fine, but you're likely to pay a fortune. Cameron ain't cheap.

odoyle2004
01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
https://www.stubhub.com/duke-basketball-tickets-duke-vs-clemson-2-11-2017/event/9668559/?mbox=1&rS=6&abbyo=true&sliderpos=false&qtyq=false&qtyddab=true&dUpg=false&sort=price+asc&qty=2&sid=1913038&tktbkt=2

Would you be able to tell me where section 17 seats would be then because I'm a little confused. I thought that was the student section. Please help. Thanks.

FadedTackyShirt
01-31-2017, 12:58 PM
17 is the undergrad student section (ie the section that's always shown on TV). Bought GA section 17 tickets from scalpers a few years ago and the section was full, so they sent us across the way to Section 19 (behind the benches). Ended up right next to the lacrosse coach.

summerwind03
01-31-2017, 01:13 PM
https://www.stubhub.com/duke-basketball-tickets-duke-vs-clemson-2-11-2017/event/9668559/?mbox=1&rS=6&abbyo=true&sliderpos=false&qtyq=false&qtyddab=true&dUpg=false&sort=price+asc&qty=2&sid=1913038&tktbkt=2

Would you be able to tell me where section 17 seats would be then because I'm a little confused. I thought that was the student section. Please help. Thanks.

That's fascinating. Yesterday, the cheapest tickets on StubHub for those games were well over $250.

Since Iron Dukes released the floor seats for Pitt and Clemson, StubHub now has a ton of them, starting at $129 (plus fees, I assume).

Coballs
01-31-2017, 01:24 PM
That's fascinating. Yesterday, the cheapest tickets on StubHub for those games were well over $250.

Since Iron Dukes released the floor seats for Pitt and Clemson, StubHub now has a ton of them, starting at $129 (plus fees, I assume).

How do floor seats get released for games that occur while the students are on campus? Is it assumed that the student section won't fill and then a limited number of seats within the student section are then made available for purchases to Iron Duke members or the general public?

Native
01-31-2017, 06:48 PM
General Admin tickets on stub hub aren't the student section. You can't buy student section tickets at Duke (at least undergrad or grad tickets).

This isn't entirely true. A limited number of tickets in Section 17 are available to Iron Dukes members when it's anticipated that the student section won't fill to capacity. I imagine that some of these make their way onto the secondary market.

How do floor seats get released for games that occur while the students are on campus? Is it assumed that the student section won't fill and then a limited number of seats within the student section are then made available for purchases to Iron Duke members or the general public?

Yes.

Cameron ain't cheap.

This is entirely true.

FloorSlapper
01-31-2017, 07:49 PM

You don't need to be a student to use the Section 17 GA tickets. These are tickets sold for the outer edges of the section that are let in after the students. You will want to get there and line up an hour and a half to two hours before tip off though so you can get as close to the middle of the section as possible. Best place to lineup would be the doors on the side where they re-did the lobby in Cameron (directly across from the new Duke Store).

ricks68
01-31-2017, 11:02 PM
You don't need to be a student to use the Section 17 GA tickets. These are tickets sold for the outer edges of the section that are let in after the students. You will want to get there and line up an hour and a half to two hours before tip off though so you can get as close to the middle of the section as possible. Best place to lineup would be the doors on the side where they re-did the lobby in Cameron (directly across from the new Duke Store).

I can verify this post in addition to what Native had to say. As an Iron Duke, I get constant emails offering seats in the corners of the student sections and the corner by the opposing team's section in anticipation that they will not fill up. I also observed those sections fill with non-students while I was at the last two home games. Something different that I have noticed this year is the offers I see by the ticket office that now states exactly how many tickets they have remaining in those sections as time closes in on game day. They have been showing it for 2 games in advance.

ricks

odoyle2004
02-01-2017, 12:06 PM

How close to the middle do you think I would be able to get with these tickets? I really don't want to be stuck all the way at the end as my wife is kind of short and probably wouldn't get to see much.

ricks68
02-01-2017, 12:12 PM
How close to the middle do you think I would be able to get with these tickets? I really don't want to be stuck all the way at the end as my wife is kind of short and probably wouldn't get to see much.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, so I will defer to others on the board for your answer. Hint: Are you big enough to put your wife on your shoulders while you are standing for the entire game?

ricks

uh_no
02-01-2017, 12:39 PM

you will be stuck all the way to the end. the students get the center, and GA tickets are held to the far ends until just before tip, at which point they are allowed to fill in any remaining space towards the center. Last few games have been pretty full due to it being tenting season, though, so don't expect to be able to move too far.

Recent games it seems closest GA can get is somewhere in line with the rows of baseline blue floor seats. Recommendation is to get there early and try to grab front row as close as you can get.

summerwind03
02-01-2017, 01:05 PM
You are unlikely to have a good view and will probably miss some action, especially if you are short. That said, if you go into it with the right attitude, it is Very cool to be in the middle of the student section! You can always watch the game later.

FadedTackyShirt
02-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Depends on if this will be a one off trip or not, but don't think GA seats for an ACC game when class is in session is the best way to go for a first (only?) trip.

Have to line up, won't get to explore Cameron before the game, and seats won't be ideal. Realistically there are probably only two dozen crappy seats out of 9314, but not all vantage points in 17 & 19 are great. Understand wanting to have tickets in hand, but buying tickets elsewhere in Cameron and taking in the whole CIS experience might be a better plan.

Our crew usually scalps late (when prices drop), but we're alums and have been to scores of games. Being low and in the corners in GA isn't great. Wouldn't recommend scalping for a first timer, but also wouldn't recommend GA seats other than holiday times. Diehards prefer front row center, but last row GA center are the best seats IMO.

flyingdutchdevil
02-01-2017, 01:38 PM
This isn't entirely true. A limited number of tickets in Section 17 are available to Iron Dukes members when it's anticipated that the student section won't fill to capacity. I imagine that some of these make their way onto the secondary market.

Has this always been the case? Or is this a new initiative? I'm a little surprised (and saddened), but it does make sense. Iron Dukes give a crap load of money to Duke.

uh_no
02-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Realistically there are probably only two dozen crappy seats out of 9314, but not all vantage points in 17 & 19 are great.

you rang? :)

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39177-The-Worst-Seats-In-Cameron-A-Photographic-Compendium

odoyle2004
02-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the info. I hope it's not my only trip to Cameron but it's taken me 31 years to get to one game and flying from South Dakota isn't cheap. Special thanks for the link to the pictures of the bad seats. I will be sure to watch out for them.

FadedTackyShirt
02-01-2017, 03:13 PM
you rang? :)

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39177-The-Worst-Seats-In-Cameron-A-Photographic-Compendium

Touché, figured that thead would eventually resurface. One of my friends was whining about their seats last week. Section 11, relatively low, but directly behind the basket. Given that the basket supports come down from the ceiling, the supports partially obstruct the view from several seats in Sections 2, 3, 10, and 11.

DukeandMdFan
02-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Depends on if this will be a one off trip or not, but don't think GA seats for an ACC game when class is in session is the best way to go for a first (only?) trip.

Have to line up, won't get to explore Cameron before the game, and seats won't be ideal. Realistically there are probably only two dozen crappy seats out of 9314, but not all vantage points in 17 & 19 are great. Understand wanting to have tickets in hand, but buying tickets elsewhere in Cameron and taking in the whole CIS experience might be a better plan.

Our crew usually scalps late (when prices drop), but we're alums and have been to scores of games. Being low and in the corners in GA isn't great. Wouldn't recommend scalping for a first timer, but also wouldn't recommend GA seats other than holiday times. Diehards prefer front row center, but last row GA center are the best seats IMO.

You can also go to the game with GA seats in hand and then hope to buy affordable-to-you tickets from a scalper. If you are able to buy tickets, then you can likely sell the GA tickets.

odoyle2004
02-01-2017, 04:19 PM
I haven't bought any tickets yet. Are ticket prices on stubhub for non GA tickets more likely to go up or down between now and the 11th? Also, is there a cheaper option than aftermarket sites like stubhub? Thanks again.

Dukehky
02-01-2017, 05:14 PM
I haven't bought any tickets yet. Are ticket prices on stubhub for non GA tickets more likely to go up or down between now and the 11th? Also, is there a cheaper option than aftermarket sites like stubhub? Thanks again.

PM me

-jk
02-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Local scalping is almost always cheaper than pre-purchasing. It's a game of tip-off chicken, and you don't always win.

When you consider how much you'll be paying just to get to Cameron, don't skimp on the ticket portion. If you can get a pair of reserved upstairs (sections 1-16) seats, other than the ones uh_no shared, you'll have time to relax and enjoy the totality of your visit, stress-free.

And as to the math - the real cost for season-ticket-holding Iron Dukes members to see a game in Cameron is way higher than the already insane face value. You could probably scalp into every home game (except sometimes unc) for less than paying the ID for the privilege of buying season tix. (I've seen Duke play basketball games in 52 venues - Cameron is still tops!)

-jk

Native
02-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Has this always been the case? Or is this a new initiative? I'm a little surprised (and saddened), but it does make sense. Iron Dukes give a crap load of money to Duke.

It's been the case for quite some time now. At least during my four years at Duke — I graduated in 2015 — and I imagine it was going on for at least a few seasons prior to my arrival on campus.

ricks68
02-01-2017, 06:34 PM

It has been going on for a number of years, now. In fact, as an Iron Duke, we get first choice of the ends of the student rows on a number of games even prior to the season beginning. Then, they are available to the public after the Iron Dukes get theirs.

ricks

uh_no
02-01-2017, 07:08 PM
It's been the case for quite some time now. At least during my four years at Duke — I graduated in 2015 — and I imagine it was going on for at least a few seasons prior to my arrival on campus.

I was ugrad 2007-2010, grad 2010-2011, and I'm fairly confident it was not the case while I was an undergraduate, and certainly not before the rearranged the section (09-10). I can't speak with much confidence about 2010-11 due to having that glorious grad student card, but as you say, it was definitely there in 11-12, when I grabbed a few tickets over the course of the season.

Despite not having implemented it yet, they had been planning it for at least a couple years ahead of time. In 07-08, they wanted to start getting an idea of how many tickets they could sell ahead of game time. To do that, they created this "validation" system, whereby you had to "sign up" to go to the game starting 3 days before hand. The amount of people who could sign up was limited to capacity, and you had to have signed up to stand in line. Students who did not sign up had to wait in an alternate line where the UNC walk up line forms and were let in when the regular line was emptied.

It seems reasonable at face value....have a major incentive to make people do this so we can get an accurate forehand estimate. The issue, though (and they really should have seen this coming), was that there was absolutely no downside to signing up and then NOT going to the game, so naturally, that's what everyone did. The validation would fill up in minutes, and if not everyone in your line group was able to validate, then, well, tough luck. A google-fu master can likely find the numerous chronicle letters ranting about how die hards could get hosed if they were partying a bit too hard when validation opened and how it was too close to a lottery and devalued waiting in line.

Ultimately the system was scrapped about halfway through the season.

While that plan was short lived (though it could have worked if you allowed unlimited validation and had a disincentive to not show up if you'd registered (three strikes you're out or something)), the impetus for putting it in place still existed, and ultimately lead to the reorganization of cameron, which both concentrated the u-grads in 17 (instead of allowing some to sit in 19), as well as got the grad students the band side bleachers. Ultimately that still wasn't enough for a lot of games, and the selling began. I remember http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/103/boston-college-eagles distinctly. There were about 3-4 rows deep crazies at center court, and about 1 as you got to the baseline. The line monitors were begging everyone to call their friends and to spread out as much as possible to not make it look abhorrent. I don't know if that was the straw that broke the camel's back, but sure enough, you were soon after able to buy tickets to ACC games.

I think the line monitors have done a pretty good job estimating attendance. I don't know if any students have been turned away yet, but from my vantage point just above the entrance to the students, it seems that it gets really tight just before tipoff, indicating that we're running at almost perfect capacity.

Anyway, student attendance aside, there are enough people that want to go to games that there should never be an empty seat in cameron, and I'm glad that we've found a way to get those previously empty seats to people who'll show up and be raucous.

Aside:
-props for the far end of the student section, who've taken to heckling the opposing warm-ups more than the past few years.
-FT shenanigans have gotten a bit stale....it's like the same 2-3 things now....some seldom used goodies: everyone SHHHHing and then screaming....not squatting down and jumping up...just shhhing, the 10 count.
-when did the roll call die? It used to be nearly every player at every game. Should also give Dicky B a roll call (for better or worse) before he heads his merry way.

60sDukie
02-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Several years ago we bought tickets in section 17 for a Clemson game. Ended up at the end of the section several rows up. I am short and could only see the bottom of the baskets. Never saw any of the game. Just knew when someone scored. Will NEVER buy those tickets again. Better to splurge for seats upstairs.

dukie’s_daughter
02-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Several years ago we bought tickets in section 17 for a Clemson game. Ended up at the end of the section several rows up. I am short and could only see the bottom of the baskets. Never saw any of the game. Just knew when someone scored. Will NEVER buy those tickets again. Better to splurge for seats upstairs.

Last year I twice bought Section 17 tix. I am 5'2". Didn't see a thing. Splurge and buy a ticket for a real seat!

Good luck!!

DCDevil9194
02-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Last year I twice bought Section 17 tix. I am 5'2". Didn't see a thing. Splurge and buy a ticket for a real seat!

Good luck!!

I'll offer another perspective. The last couple years we (including two short kids) have bought GA tickets to an ACC game. We get there early, about 3 hours before the game starts. We make sure we end up in the first or second row. From the first couple rows, we can see almost the entire court. It is not as leisurely as upstairs seats, but it is a lot of fun, and puts you in the middle of the Cameron experience.

odoyle2004
02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
So I just put together the fact that we are flying in for the game on Thursday, and that our flight gets in to RDU 2 hours before tip-off of the UNC game. Assuming there is no delays and we get there as fast as we can, is there a chance that there will be scalpers there selling tickets still right around tip-off time?

FadedTackyShirt
02-03-2017, 10:51 AM
So I just put together the fact that we are flying in for the game on Thursday, and that our flight gets in to RDU 2 hours before tip-off of the UNC game. Assuming there is no delays and we get there as fast as we can, is there a chance that there will be scalpers there selling tickets still right around tip-off time?

Tip-15 mins is the most optimal time to buy from scalpers. Friends or I have scalped tickets for every ACC school but Carolina (school applied loosely to that pastel diploma mill) and there are always scalpers out there even after tip.

Closest comparable ticket would be JJ's jersey retirement on a weekend (Florida State). Took awhile, but finally found a pair for $350. Schweeet seats right on the rail, 3 point line (poetic karma), directly across from Brodhead's seats. Bring $s, even a late pair should be North of $500.

ricks68
02-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Am I the only one that is confused here? Do you have tickets for the UNCheaters game or the Clemson game or neither? And-----do you seriously think you can get tickets right before the Cheaters game for not a ton of cold hard cash?

Please explain, or did you mistake February 1 for April 1?

ricks

Ballboy1998
02-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Am I the only one that is confused here? Do you have tickets for the UNCheaters game or the Clemson game or neither? And-----do you seriously think you can get tickets right before the Cheaters game for not a ton of cold hard cash?

Please explain, or did you mistake February 1 for April 1?

ricks

My understanding is that he plans to buy tickets for the Clemson game next Saturday, Feb. 11, and just realized that his flight into town for that visit gets him in on Thursday just before the UNC game, so he was considering the possibility of trying to go to two games instead of one.

My thought would be that (1) there certainly may still be some tickets being sold out front right before tip of the unc game, (2) they will almost certainly cost an arm and a leg, (3) it could be fun to watch the game on or near campus if an attempt to buy tickets fails (which I would think likely) -- I don't know if students watch at The Loop bar now that it took over the Dillo's old place??? You could also go to the Bar at the Washington Duke, or go downtown to somewhere like Satisfaction or Tyler's.

uh_no
02-03-2017, 11:12 AM
My understanding is that he plans to buy tickets for the Clemson game next Saturday, Feb. 11, and just realized that his flight into town for that visit gets him in on Thursday just before the UNC game, so he was considering the possibility of trying to go to two games instead of one.

My thought would be that (1) there certainly may still be some tickets being sold out front right before tip of the unc game, (2) they will almost certainly cost an arm and a leg, (3) it could be fun to watch the game on or near campus if an attempt to buy tickets fails (which I would think likely) -- I don't know if students watch at The Loop bar now that it took over the Dillo's old place??? You could also go to the Bar at the Washington Duke, or go downtown to somewhere like Satisfaction or Tyler's.

I think the devil's krafthouse would be the place I'd hit up these days.

Hanging around the bar at tyler's or tobacco road is also a good time.

Coballs
02-03-2017, 11:19 AM
I think the devil's krafthouse would be the place I'd hit up these days.

Hanging around the bar at tyler's or tobacco road is also a good time.

I'm coming down this weekend with a bunch of friends for the Pitt game. Between the Krafthouse, Tyler's and Tobacco Road, which is the best option to watch the other games later in the afternoon factoring in beer selection, food quality, and number of TV screens?

FadedTackyShirt
02-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Closest spot would be the bar at the JB Duke, new hotel attached to Fuqua. Same owners as Washington Duke. WDI bar is nicer, but JBD has two bars and is slightly closer for a dedicated late ticket hunter.

flyingdutchdevil
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm coming down this weekend with a bunch of friends for the Pitt game. Between the Krafthouse, Tyler's and Tobacco Road, which is the best option to watch the other games later in the afternoon factoring in beer selection, food quality, and number of TV screens?

Ooooh....good question. I like the TVs at Tobacco Road, but Tyler's is better for beer and ambiance. Food is probably comparable (good pub grub).

On second thought, I'd go to Tyler's. Less Carolina fans...

ricks68
02-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Saw the Superbowl at Fullsteam on their big screen last year, but the picture was fuzzy. Still fun, but may not be as much for the UNCheaters game as there will probably be too many of the gross blue color fans there along with the fuzzy screen.

ricks

uh_no
02-03-2017, 11:55 AM

Tobacco road for food + screens
Tylers for beer selection
krafthouse for on campus environment

I'd say after the game, hit up the krafthouse anyway to see if it suits your fancy...since it's already on campus, then if not, hit up tylers. When i'm usually there on wednesday (can you say PINT NIGHT???) they have 3-4 games on the different screens in the front. With effectively no other sports going on, you ought to be able to get whatever you want. I find it a bit more intimate than tobacco road, and if it's not super busy, the bar tenders are generally sports fans too and are great to chat with.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2017, 12:03 PM

This practice began long ago. Selling seats in the student sections (we filled the entire downstairs then) was something Eddie Cameron initiated to make sure the seats were filled and to bring in a little bit of revenue. This practice was in place during the early 60s.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 12:37 PM
This practice began long ago. Selling seats in the student sections (we filled the entire downstairs then) was something Eddie Cameron initiated to make sure the seats were filled and to bring in a little bit of revenue. This practice was in place during the early 60s.

Eddie never missed an opportunity to bring in a buck! 😈😎

Coballs
02-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Has anyone pre-gamed at this Club Blue Devil and, if so, do you recommend it?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211450700

odoyle2004
02-03-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm coming with the intention of going to just the one Clemson game, but I thought with my flight landing so close to the start of the UNC game, maybe I could scalp some tickets for reasonable prices and go to 2. If not that's fine but I love the idea of watching the game from a bar with a bunch of Duke fans rather than my hotel room. So whatever your recommendation is for the best bar with the most Duke fans, that's where we'll be going. Thanks for the ideas!

ricks68
02-03-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm coming with the intention of going to just the one Clemson game, but I thought with my flight landing so close to the start of the UNC game, maybe I could scalp some tickets for reasonable prices and go to 2. If not that's fine but I love the idea of watching the game from a bar with a bunch of Duke fans rather than my hotel room. So whatever your recommendation is for the best bar with the most Duke fans, that's where we'll be going. Thanks for the ideas!

Man, if I was able to be there ahead of the Cheat game, and had the available bucks in my pocket, you better believe I would give it a shot for sure. I say go for it. Then, after we win, you can sell the Clemson tickets because it would be like comparing seeing a Duke/UNCheat game in Cameron to any other game, period. (I thought of maybe comparing it to the NBA or MLB final deciding game, or maybe the Superbowl, vs any other game in the coinciding sport, but nah----no comparison.) Besides, you need to have time to recover, anyway, since you will not be able to hear for a few days, or be able to move until your legs, back and arms are massaged for a looong time, or even speak until your vocal cords are thoroughly rested. (And, if that is not the case, you should not have been allowed to be there in the first place!)

Hope you are successful, as it would be nice for us to meet you inside.:)

ricks

sagegrouse
02-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Eddie never missed an opportunity to bring in a buck! 😈😎

In my era, earlier but overlapping with DitBD, fewer than one-half the games were sell-outs. In fact, students were allowed to sit in the general admission section upstairs behind the basket, and I did a few times to sit in an actual chair with back and sides. (We were more laid back then than the Crazies, but we only lost one home game in my four years at Duke.) I don't remember any incursions by regular patrons in the fold out sections, but that may have happened after Jeff Mullins and I graduated.

uh_no
02-03-2017, 07:45 PM

if you can swing it, i'd say definitely worth it to come by campus even for the crazies filing in. it's certainly a sight and electric atmosphere. The cameras will be around, and tons of people milling about hyped about duke basketball.

BandAlum83
02-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Local scalping is almost always cheaper than pre-purchasing. It's a game of tip-off chicken, and you don't always win.

When you consider how much you'll be paying just to get to Cameron, don't skimp on the ticket portion. If you can get a pair of reserved upstairs (sections 1-16) seats, other than the ones uh_no shared, you'll have time to relax and enjoy the totality of your visit, stress-free.

And as to the math - the real cost for season-ticket-holding Iron Dukes members to see a game in Cameron is way higher than the already insane face value. You could probably scalp into every home game (except sometimes unc) for less than paying the ID for the privilege of buying season tix. (I've seen Duke play basketball games in 52 venues - Cameron is still tops!)

-jk

52 Venues? That's insane!!

I'm at 7, I think.

Cameron
Meadowlands (1986 Regional Finals)
Greensboro Colliseum (1979, 1980 Big 4 tournament)
Charlotte Collesium (1993 ACC tournament - and the Storm of the Century)
Georgia Dome (ACC tournament - 2001, 2009)
GA Tech Alexander Memorial (couple of times)
Cole Field House - MD 1985 (MD made a great comeback and beat us in overtime. Half their Fans didn't see it because they left when they were down)

I can't remember any others...

FadedTackyShirt
02-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Slightly OT, but if we wanted to do a microbrew crawl of Durham, which places would be musts?

Food and/or TV doesn't matter. Brewpubs don't count, want actual microbreweries (on-site brewing). Recently did a similar crawl in Wilmington over a weekend and hit a dozen spots. Assume we would have to break it into multiple trips in conjunction with Duke hoops or football, but trying to quantify. Thanks.

ricks68
02-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Slightly OT, but if we wanted to do a microbrew crawl of Durham, which places would be musts?

Food and/or TV doesn't matter. Brewpubs don't count, want actual microbreweries (on-site brewing). Recently did a similar crawl in Wilmington over a weekend and hit a dozen spots. Assume we would have to break it into multiple trips in conjunction with Duke hoops or football, but trying to quantify. Thanks.

Repeat your post on the Ymmmm, beer thread on the Off Topic board and you should get a multitude of detailed informative answers.

ricks

Ballboy1998
02-04-2017, 10:40 AM

In my opinion, the MUST HIT microbreweries in Durham are:

Fullsteam
Ponysaurus
Durty Bull

Bull City Burger and Brewery also brews on site, though I personally think their food is better than their beer. In addition, while it is not a brewery, any beer tour of Durham would be incomplete without a stop at Sam's Quik Stop, a beer shop mecca that now also has a huge amount of stuff on tap that you can drink there. The guys at Sam's would also be a good resource for additional suggestions.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that would be my list.

FadedTackyShirt
02-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Repeat your post on the Ymmmm, beer thread on the Off Topic board and you should get a multitude of detailed informative answers.

ricks

Done, thanks. Mods delete/move if necessary.

rsvman
02-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Satisfaction is not a bad place to catch a game. Food's decent. TVs are decent to good. I think the place would be hopping for the Carolina game, and it's mostly people in Duke blue.

It's been around forever; I kind of like that ol' skool aspect.

devildeac
02-04-2017, 11:34 AM

My 50 IBUs and 6% ABV response is up on the Ymm, Beer thread. Hope it helps.

uh_no
02-04-2017, 11:48 AM
In my opinion, the MUST HIT microbreweries in Durham are:

Fullsteam
Ponysaurus
Durty Bull

Bull City Burger and Brewery also brews on site, though I personally think their food is better than their beer. In addition, while it is not a brewery, any beer tour of Durham would be incomplete without a stop at Sam's Quik Stop, a beer shop mecca that now also has a huge amount of stuff on tap that you can drink there. The guys at Sam's would also be a good resource for additional suggestions.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that would be my list.

cloud brewing in brightleaf. they brew in Raleigh but have a taproom here. bull city brewing. the bulls have their own brewery now too but not sure if you can get it off season. if you're venturing out of Durham

mystery in Hillsborough, gizmo, lonerider, aviator, big boss, bond brothers.

real shame triangle closed down :-(

FadedTackyShirt
02-04-2017, 05:19 PM
cloud brewing in brightleaf. they brew in Raleigh but have a taproom here. bull city brewing. the bulls have their own brewery now too but not sure if you can get it off season. if you're venturing out of Durham

mystery in Hillsborough, gizmo, lonerider, aviator, big boss, bond brothers.

real shame triangle closed down :-(

Ponysaurus is an Uber away, but Fullsteam, Durty Bull, Bull City, and Cloud look like a doable walking microbrewery crawl.

Washington Duke and JB Duke are convenient but limited for walkable post game options, so hoping to nudge our crew into downtown lodging. Have only been to the Durham Hotel for drinks. What's the better option: DH or 21c Museum Hotel?

devildeac
02-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Walking pubcrawl in Raleigh not bad either with Nickelpoint, Neuse River Brewing, Sub Noir, Lynnwood Brewing Concern and Big Boss about 1.5 miles apart.

For uh no: Does Clouds brew their own or are they just a "by the ounce" beer joint? I've never been to the one in Raleigh. :o

uh_no
02-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Ponysaurus is an Uber away, but Fullsteam, Durty Bull, Bull City, and Cloud look like a doable walking microbrewery crawl.

Washington Duke and JB Duke are convenient but limited for walkable post game options, so hoping to nudge our crew into downtown lodging. Have only been to the Durham Hotel for drinks. What's the better option: DH or 21c Museum Hotel?

I haven't stayed at either, but they're both super neat to hang around and new in the last couple years. I would give the nudge to the durham just because of the rooftop bar. 21c has a modern art museum that's free to the public though, and a great bar downstairs (counting house). Highly recommend the museum even if you don't stay there.

You can walk ponysaurus, it's like half a mile from bull city (and the cuban restaurant on the way is quite good!), but that area of town is, shall we say, pre-gentrified. it's on the way up, but I don't feel the most comfortable walking there at night....mostly because there's far less going on than the area between downtown and Fullsteam (where things are popping up like candy...)

sagegrouse
02-04-2017, 06:45 PM

I dunno which is better, but i have stayed at the Museum Hotel a few times, and it is very nice with an interesting bar (with food).

uh_no
02-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I dunno which is better, but i have stayed at the Museum Hotel a few times, and it is very nice with an interesting bar (with food).

if you go, be sure to use the second floor bathrooms in the lobby....you'll see why.

odoyle2004
02-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Man, if I was able to be there ahead of the Cheat game, and had the available bucks in my pocket, you better believe I would give it a shot for sure. I say go for it. Then, after we win, you can sell the Clemson tickets because it would be like comparing seeing a Duke/UNCheat game in Cameron to any other game, period. (I thought of maybe comparing it to the NBA or MLB final deciding game, or maybe the Superbowl, vs any other game in the coinciding sport, but nah----no comparison.) Besides, you need to have time to recover, anyway, since you will not be able to hear for a few days, or be able to move until your legs, back and arms are massaged for a looong time, or even speak until your vocal cords are thoroughly rested. (And, if that is not the case, you should not have been allowed to be there in the first place!)

Hope you are successful, as it would be nice for us to meet you inside.:)

ricks

Man, now you have me all psyched up for the game on Thursday. I have to try to get there now(assuming our plane makes it on time). Not sure any one can answer this but what would be a reasonable amount of cash to bring along? I'm not overly comfortable carrying a large amount of cash around a strange place.

uh_no
02-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Man, now you have me all psyched up for the game on Thursday. I have to try to get there now(assuming our plane makes it on time). Not sure any one can answer this but what would be a reasonable amount of cash to bring along? I'm not overly comfortable carrying a large amount of cash around a strange place.

there are ATM's in the bryan center. You won't be in any trouble between the bryan center and cameron on a gameday (or ever really)...there are too many people around. get to campus -> go to ATMs -> get cash -> buy tickets. I think they may also have an ATM at the new team store...but not sure.

ricks68
02-05-2017, 01:48 AM

You're lucky. Stub Hub has tickets on the ends from 750 to about 1200. The sides are running from 1250 to about 3000, with one down low behind the benches or scorer's table for about 4000. You can use that to gauge about how the much the scalpers may want at the stadium (if they have any at all).:rolleyes: Also, I don't think you can get enough out of an ATM to cover that.:eek:

Note: The prices are a little down this year because neither team is in the top 5, and we aren't up to par yet, etc.

Unfortunately, while the above is certainly quite a bit tongue-in-cheek, it's true.

ricks

odoyle2004
02-07-2017, 09:30 AM
So if I get there in time for the game Thursday, where am I most likely to find someone who is selling tickets. I'm going to be extremely crunched for time so I want to be able to find someone as fast as possible.

BLPOG
02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
So if I get there in time for the game Thursday, where am I most likely to find someone who is selling tickets. I'm going to be extremely crunched for time so I want to be able to find someone as fast as possible.

There will be scalpers (although potentially not very many) right outside Cameron, both along the corridor between the stadium and Card Gym and near the main entrance. I doubt there will be many by the student entrance because there will be too much other commotion over there for this game, but there will probably be some between Krzyzewskiville and Towerview Road on that side.

uh_no
02-07-2017, 10:44 AM
There will be scalpers (although potentially not very many) right outside Cameron, both along the corridor between the stadium and Card Gym and near the main entrance. I doubt there will be many by the student entrance because there will be too much other commotion over there for this game, but there will probably be some between Krzyzewskiville and Towerview Road on that side.

along with by card, the stretch along the card parking lot towards towerview, and then along towerview towards science drive. Why? because that's where non-ID parking people have to walk from the circuit lot.

FadedTackyShirt
02-07-2017, 11:15 AM
The grassy median by the Wallace Wade bust is Ground Zero for pro scalpers.

Always better to buy from Duke fans looking to dump tickets late, but they'll be few and far between for UNC. Pros will be out there 'til the bitter end.

BandAlum83
02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

As crazy as the Cameron crowd may seem on TV, I don't think the place is really all that strange.

I mean, I graduated in 83. I know the student body has changed some since then, but if anything, it has gotten nerdier. Some may call that strange, but it's probably more cool now than it was back in my day!

What was really strange back then were the short shorts the players wore then. Have you seen the vintage Johnny Dawkins or JayBil pics? Strange!

So relax! Have fun! Embrace the Crazy! Spurn the Strange!

(Or get some strange - but that's a different thread and board altogether.)

msdukie
02-08-2017, 12:04 AM

I'm at 7, I think.

Cameron
Cole Field House - MD 1985 (MD made a great comeback and beat us in overtime. Half their Fans didn't see it because they left when they were down)

I think I'm at 31:

Cameron
Dean Dome
PNC [RBC]
Reynolds
Joel
U Hall
JPJ
LIttlejohn
Alexander [pre-McTamish]
TLCCC
Watsco Center [BankUnited]
Xfinity [Comcast]
Cole
KFC Yum!
Carrier Dome
Wells Fargo
Trop
Amalie [SP Times Forum]
Charlotte Coliseum
Greensboro Coliseum
Lucas Oil
MSG
Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Georgia Dome
Phillips Arena
Sun Dome (K’s first road game in 1980 as a 5 year old)
Barclays
Meadowlands
Verizon Center
Assembly Hall
United Center

I might be missing some, that's off the top of my head.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Dont want to Hijack your thread, but got my tickets yesterday off stubhub for Thursday, it wasn't cheap but for the first time in my life I can actually afford it and not care about the consequences. So flying in tomorrow for the game. Now just have to find the Stubhub pickup stpot.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Sidenote: The Millennium Hotel is the pickup spot for tickets, is it fairly easy to get to and then get to the game trying to see how much time i should allow myself?

BLPOG
02-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Sidenote: The Millennium Hotel is the pickup spot for tickets, is it fairly easy to get to and then get to the game trying to see how much time i should allow myself?

Very easy to get there. It's about a half mile from the edge of West Campus and not much farther to Cameron. If you're taking a cab it'll be fast. I've walked it before, although frankly I wouldn't recommend that.

uh_no
02-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Very easy to get there. It's about a half mile from the edge of West Campus and not much farther to Cameron. If you're taking a cab it'll be fast. I've walked it before, although frankly I wouldn't recommend that.

agree...bit of a haul to hoof it. should be easy in out whether driving or ubering

odoyle2004
02-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I'd like to buy tickets right now but with my flight not scheduled to get in until 2 hours before tip off, I don't really want to buy tickets and then get delayed and miss the game.

ricks68
02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I'd like to buy tickets right now but with my flight not scheduled to get in until 2 hours before tip off, I don't really want to buy tickets and then get delayed and miss the game.

You should be able to pull it off no problem if you use carry-on and are on a reliable airline. If you do it, however, you will need to go directly to the game and figure a way to store your luggage somewhere. It's not as if you have to deal with large stadium traffic and long lines to get in.

ricks

duke79
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Yea, given everything that can go wrong when travelling these days, I would not take that chance either, especially given how much you have to pay for those tickets online.

Good luck getting in to the game and have a great time at Duke and in Durham! Please root for the right color.

odoyle2004
02-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Yea, given everything that can go wrong when travelling these days, I would not take that chance either, especially given how much you have to pay for those tickets online.

Good luck getting in to the game and have a great time at Duke and in Durham! Please root for the right color.

Royal Blue beats baby blue everytime!!!

-jk
02-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Especially with a nor'easter in the works for tomorrow, PHL and north...

-jk

duke79
02-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Royal Blue beats baby blue everytime!!!

Amen to that! We're nominating you for honorary membership in the Duke alumni family.

odoyle2004
02-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Amen to that! We're nominating you for honorary membership in the Duke alumni family.

I would accept that nomination in a heartbeat! Already told my 5 year old he needs to try harder at kindergarten so he can go to Duke!

duke79
02-09-2017, 03:44 PM
I would accept that nomination in a heartbeat! Already told my 5 year old he needs to try harder at kindergarten so he can go to Duke!

Good luck with your son! Only 13 years to go before he's off to Duke (hopefully!). My advice is to not move from South Dakota. All these schools like geographic diversity and being from SD will definitely help.

devildeac
02-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Looking at a Ponysaurus/Bull City Brewery and Burgers/Fullsteam Brewery "tour" tomorrow night. Anyone interested?

Ballboy1998
02-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Looking at a Ponysaurus/Bull City Brewery and Burgers/Fullsteam Brewery "tour" tomorrow night. Anyone interested?

If you haven't been, I would put in a strong recommendation for Durty Bull as well. It is only a couple blocks from Fullsteam and I was very impressed with their beer when I visited.

devildeac
02-09-2017, 11:19 PM
If you haven't been, I would put in a strong recommendation for Durty Bull as well. It is only a couple blocks from Fullsteam and I was very impressed with their beer when I visited.

Good suggestion. Thanks! I didn't realize they were open yet. Care to post any reviews/thoughts on the Ymm, Beer thread? ;)

BandAlum83
02-09-2017, 11:20 PM
So did our OP make it to the game tonight?

DU82
02-09-2017, 11:43 PM

I'm at 7, I think.

Cameron

-jk's mom Elizabeth made it to 64 venues. I have the list here somewhere.

I have 40 on my list where I've watched Duke play (I must be missing a few; I shouldn't be 12 behind jk), plus a few unique venues watching the women's team. (Plus 22 college football stadiums and 38 MLB parks.)

odoyle2004
02-10-2017, 08:40 AM
So did our OP make it to the game tonight?

I made it to the campus and walked around for about an hour but I couldn't find one ticket available for sale. Saw about 10 other people looking but nobody had any. Not the end of the world. Going to Saturdays game instead.

NSDukeFan
02-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I made it to the campus and walked around for about an hour but I couldn't find one ticket available for sale. Saw about 10 other people looking but nobody had any. Not the end of the world. Going to Saturdays game instead.

You didn't miss much.

Says the guy who has never seen a game in Cameron.

duke79
02-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Ugh, sorry to hear this. Hard to believe there wasn't one person trying to scalp a ticket but it is a very tough game to get in to. Plus, I'm sure that any tickets available would have been big bucks.

Enjoy Saturday's game! The atmosphere won't be quite so intense but still a spectacle to see and enjoy.

Stray Gator
02-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear this. Hard to believe there wasn't one person trying to scalp a ticket but it is a very tough game to get in to. Plus, I'm sure that any tickets available would have been big bucks. . . .

If it's any consolation, we ran into a friend with the Iron Dukes' major gifts office on the concourse at halftime last night, and he told us that trying to fill the demand for tickets to this game was never more difficult. That also explains why, as someone noted earlier, there seemed to be far fewer UNC fans in Cameron. While I regret that more Duke fans were unable to find tickets and enjoy the experience, I consider the resulting reduction in the number of UNC fans who could attend the game to be a very welcome silver lining.

weezie
02-10-2017, 05:59 PM
... (I've seen Duke play basketball games in 52 venues - Cameron is still tops!) -jk

23 but I'm still pondering the list. It's been a long time spent in arenas...

mhd8912
02-10-2017, 10:07 PM
First time poster. Going to Cameron for the first time tomorrow. A friend and I are going to the Clemson game. He's helped me a lot here recently so I'm treating him to the game. Don't hate on me but...I'm a VCU fan (graduated from VCU) but he's a huge Duke fan. I grew up with Duke family members though so I don't mind. I'm really excited just to experience the atmosphere. I got GA tickets in section 17. It was the only ones I could really afford. Just a couple of quick questions for a first timer...

1. What time should we get there? We're coming from Danville, VA so not far from Durham. Then it's back to Richmond, VA
2. Any recommendations on places to park? Don't mind spending some money to park.
3. Where's a good place to stand in section 17 if you're short (5'6)?
4. What entrance do you go to if you have GA tickets?

Thanks guys! Good luck tomorrow!

-jk
02-10-2017, 10:25 PM
First time poster. Going to Cameron for the first time tomorrow. A friend and I are going to the Clemson game. He's helped me a lot here recently so I'm treating him to the game. Don't hate on me but...I'm a VCU fan (graduated from VCU) but he's a huge Duke fan. I grew up with Duke family members though so I don't mind. I'm really excited just to experience the atmosphere. I got GA tickets in section 17. It was the only ones I could really afford. Just a couple of quick questions for a first timer...

1. What time should we get there? We're coming from Danville, VA so not far from Durham. Then it's back to Richmond, VA
2. Any recommendations on places to park? Don't mind spending some money to park.

Thanks guys! Good luck tomorrow!

Welcome! You might start at the top of this thread, then move on to the DBR Visitors' Bureau (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=DBRVisit) (put together by several local degenerates)...

-jk

uh_no
02-10-2017, 10:27 PM

A line will for for GA. the earlier the better. doors open 60-90 minutes before the game

2. Any recommendations on places to park? Don't mind spending some money to park. you'll have to park in the circuit lot. about a half mile walk.

3. Where's a good place to stand in section 17 if you're short (5'6)?unfortunately, nowhere. GA tickets are in the corners. Best you can hope for is to show up early and get in the front.

believe it's the side entrance opposite card gymm but don't quote me on that.

Welcome to cameron. My favorite part about ushering is talking to the many people there for the first time! It's tough with GA, but be sure to check out the museum if you get a minute.

devildeac
02-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Welcome! You might start at the top of this thread, then move on to the DBR Visitors' Bureau (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=DBRVisit) (put together by several local degenerates)...

-jk

Now that's quite an insult to the local degenerates I know!:rolleyes:

mhd8912
02-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunate to hear about not being able to see in section 17 but oh well, may luck out. Good luck again today. It is nice to see a healthy Duke team. Injuries suck.

Indoor66
02-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Now that's quite an insult to the local degenerates I know!:rolleyes:

It is obvious you don't know the right degenerates! :cool:

BLPOG
02-11-2017, 09:09 AM

A line will for for GA. the earlier the better. doors open 60-90 minutes before the game
you'll have to park in the circuit lot. about a half mile walk.
unfortunately, nowhere. GA tickets are in the corners. Best you can hope for is to show up early and get in the front.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunate to hear about not being able to see in section 17 but oh well, may luck out. Good luck again today. It is nice to see a healthy Duke team. Injuries suck.

I am also a short guy (5'6" on a good day), so let me reiterate that the ends of section 17 are not great for the vertically challenged. As uh_no said, your hope is to get in the front. Be optimistic! It's definitely achievable. Just line up as early as you can tolerate and your chances should be pretty good. There were a few games as a student for which the "bad" part of 17 were my only option, but things still usually turned out pretty well.

Newton_14
02-11-2017, 09:38 AM

You'll be fine, but you're likely to pay a fortune. Cameron ain't cheap.

Actually, Section 17 (Student Section) is exactly what those tickets are. Duke sells those tickets a lot throughout the season. Now, the students are let in first, so unless it is a game where they are not on campus due to a break, you would not be able to get near center court, and would most likely be in one of the corners, but still, you are in the Student Section.

Duke sells these for a lot of games actually, I assume based on some type of calculation or something that estimates somehow the anticipated number of students expected to attend the game. For games where the students are on break, Section 17 is filled up almost entirely with the general public.

devildeac
02-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Actually, Section 17 (Student Section) is exactly what those tickets are. Duke sells those tickets a lot throughout the season. Now, the students are let in first, so unless it is a game where they are not on campus due to a break, you would not be able to get near center court, and would most likely be in one of the corners, but still, you are in the Student Section.

Duke sells these for a lot of games actually, I assume based on some type of calculation or something that estimates somehow the anticipated number of students expected to attend the game. For games where the students are on break, Section 17 is filled up almost entirely with the general public.

Hey, Newton, clean up your &^^%$(^# signature! :o:rolleyes:

-jk
02-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Devil84 seems to have reverted the wankerized posts.

I'm still not sure what happened, though.

-jk

msdukie
02-14-2017, 10:31 PM
If it's any consolation, we ran into a friend with the Iron Dukes' major gifts office on the concourse at halftime last night, and he told us that trying to fill the demand for tickets to this game was never more difficult. That also explains why, as someone noted earlier, there seemed to be far fewer UNC fans in Cameron. While I regret that more Duke fans were unable to find tickets and enjoy the experience, I consider the resulting reduction in the number of UNC fans who could attend the game to be a very welcome silver lining.

Unfortunately, I still saw way too many of them in Section 14 Thursday. Fortunately, they went home sad :)