PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti-Duke Chants, Signs, etc.

Reddevil
01-31-2017, 09:24 AM
While we are in a good mood, I know there have been many mean spirited things said over the years about the team, but what are some of the good natured, or funny jabs you have seen? I know this is a pro Duke site, and I have been a huge fan since the 60's so I do not mean to step on toes by any means. The "Grayson Allen drinks O'Douls" sign referenced in another post just got me thinking, "What have you seen that made you laugh?"

Tripping William
01-31-2017, 09:31 AM
While we are in a good mood, I know there have been many mean spirited things said over the years about the team, but what are some of the good natured, or funny jabs you have seen? I know this is a pro Duke site, and I have been a huge fan since the 60's so I do not mean to step on toes by any means. The "Grayson Allen drinks O'Douls" sign referenced in another post just got me thinking, "What have you seen that made you laugh?"

The "I Still Hate Laettner" t-shirts.

PackMan97
01-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Sadly, the board filter and the mods won't really let the best anti-duke signs be posted ;)

Blue KevIL
01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
I thought the "The Gipper vs The Tripper" sign last night was pretty clever.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/1/30/14447834/notre-dame-snapchat-filter-grayson-allen-duke-ncaa-mens-basketball

PackMan97
01-31-2017, 12:39 PM
I actually did recall my favorite...from I believe from a William and Mary game.

"We've got Jefferson
You've got Nixon"

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2017, 12:57 PM
"Jabari Parker likes Nickelback"

Still my favorite. It's too funny. And I hope it isn't true.

rsvman
01-31-2017, 01:24 PM
Can't think of any besides what has been posted above. To be honest, a lot of our enemies are not too clever. They generally like to take another very common 4-letter word and then just switch the first letter of that word and the first letter of Duke, and they're pretty satisfied with that result. Not really remotely clever or amusing the very first time, let alone the ten-millionth time.

Tripping William
01-31-2017, 01:28 PM
I actually did recall my favorite...from I believe from a William and Mary game.

"We've got Jefferson
You've got Nixon"

Presumably pre-Amile? ;)

Skydog
01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Presumably pre-Amile? ;)

Not exactly what you want but a long time ago I was at a Duke soccer game where we were losing to 0-2 to the Wolfpack. State fans started chanting "Scoreboard" "Scoreboard" "Scoreboard". That just led to the Duke fans coming back with "Board Scores" "Board Scores" "Board Scores". May not be the only time that chant has happened but it was pretty funny to me.

PackMan97
01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Presumably pre-Amile? ;)

Not unless Amile has been elected President of the United States of America :)

Highlander
01-31-2017, 03:23 PM
I thought the yellow standing sign that said "Caution - tripping hazard. Watch your step!" was pretty clever last night as well.

Sweetest chant I ever heard was at a Duke/MD game when the fans chanted "F YOU JJ" as he buried their team in another loss.

UrinalCake
01-31-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm going to go ahead and derail this thread with my favorite sign from a non-Duke fanbase. This was at Virginia last year, the game following our defeat of UNC in Chapel Hill.

UrinalCake
01-31-2017, 03:28 PM
Also at the Notre Dame game last year, someone had a sign that said "UNC Classes - less real than Manti Teo's girlfriend." That one was epic.

Kdogg
01-31-2017, 03:29 PM
1999 Duke vs UCONN Final Four. During the game the Duke fans reappropriated the U-C-O-N-N, UCONN, UNCONN, UNCONN that there fans were chanting to U-S-U-C-K, Usuck, Usuck, Usuck. Admittedly not the wittiest cheer from the Duke side but that UCONN chant is terrible and annoying. State has a similar chant too. Well we lost and the UCONN fans turned around to the Duke students sitting in the rafters and asked "Who sucks now?" To this day it still kind of hurts.

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2017, 03:32 PM
1999 Duke vs UCONN Final Four. During the game the Duke fans reappropriated the U-C-O-N-N, UCONN, UNCONN, UNCONN that there fans were chanting to U-S-U-C-K, Usuck, Usuck, Usuck. Admittedly not the wittiest cheer from the Duke side but that UCONN chant is terrible and annoying. State has a similar chant too. Well we lost and the UCONN fans turned around to the Duke students sitting in the rafters and asked "Who sucks now?" To this day it still kind of hurts.

Yeah...that's the risk of mean-spirited chants; when they backfire, you have no response. That's why "Jabari Parker likes Nickelback" is so funny to me. Win, and it's funny; lose, and it's funny.

Tripping William
01-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Yeah...that's the risk of mean-spirited chants; when they backfire, you have no response. That's why "Jabari Parker likes Nickelback" is so funny to me. Win, and it's funny; lose, and it's funny.

"Jabari Bars Only Serve O'Doul's" was a real missed opportunity.

duke79
01-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Also at the Notre Dame game last year, someone had a sign that said "UNC Classes - less real than Manti Teo's girlfriend." That one was epic.

LOL, very funny and clever. I had completely forgotten about poor Manti. THAT was a bizarre story. Is he still playing football?

rsvman
01-31-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm going to go ahead and derail this thread with my favorite sign from a non-Duke fanbase. This was at Virginia last year, the game following our defeat of UNC in Chapel Hill.

This is freaking hysterical! I love it.

RPS
01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
LOL, very funny and clever. I had completely forgotten about poor Manti. THAT was a bizarre story. Is he still playing football?
Manti Te'o plays for the Los Angeles Chargers, which means he is now dead to me. He got hurt in September and missed the rest of the season.