PDA

View Full Version : Good article about mid-season NCAA mock bracket

MarkD83
01-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Seth Davis has an article about the NCAA selection committee getting together in mid-Feb to put together a mock bracket (not bracketology).

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/30/ncaa-tournament-cbs-march-madness-preview-show

His article also has some very interesting tid-bits such as

"As long as everyone is healthy, the perfect rotation is seven or eight players. That way everyone gets their minutes and their shots, which makes for good chemistry."

and

"Sophomore guard Luke Kennard is the Blue Devils’ best player. Period. And Grayson Allen needs to be their second-best player. Everyone else, including the heralded freshmen, need to fall in line behind those two."

As an aside stop going to ESPN.com to get your NCAA basketball info and Duke box scores. SI and other sites do a great job and are not fixated on Duke hate. The article I linked is a great example of a very positive and balanced view of what is happening in college basketball.

YmoBeThere
01-31-2017, 07:17 AM
"Sophomore guard Luke Kennard is the Blue Devils’ best player. Period. And Grayson Allen needs to be their second-best player. Everyone else, including the heralded freshmen, need to fall in line behind those two."

Interesting comment given yesterday's much more even scoring load...

MarkD83
01-31-2017, 07:40 PM
Interesting comment given yesterday's much more even scoring load...

To be fair to Seth, I believe the article was written right after the Wake game where Luke scored 30 points in the 2nd half. That means there could be some "recency" bias in the comment about Luke.

MarkD83
01-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Since I am going to sites other than ESPN for balanced coverage of Duke basketball, here is another article.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/31/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-luke-kennard-acc

Here is the quote I like from Luke...

“We’ve hit adversity throughout the entire year,” Kennard said, following an 84–74 triumph that was Duke’s second road win in three days. “It’s been a lot of mental stuff this week. We kind of figured it all out. We’re becoming the team we want to be.”

(maybe a moderator can change the thread title to Good Non-ESPN Articles.)

weezie
01-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Seth has "peeps," that's about all I took away from that article. I am impressed though...with the peeps.

duketaylor
01-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Since I am going to sites other than ESPN for balanced coverage of Duke basketball, here is another article.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/31/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-luke-kennard-acc

Here is the quote I like from Luke...

“We’ve hit adversity throughout the entire year,” Kennard said, following an 84–74 triumph that was Duke’s second road win in three days. “It’s been a lot of mental stuff this week. We kind of figured it all out. We’re becoming the team we want to be.”

(maybe a moderator can change the thread title to Good Non-ESPN Articles.)

"We’re becoming the team we want to be.”

That really sticks out to me. Exactly the mentality of what's needed, IMO. Love to hear this. I firmly believe this team knows its potential. I think I do and can't wait to see if they can reach it. I think they've been as frustrated as we've been with expectations. Injuries don't help at all. Players or coaches.

A healthy Duke team and staff moving forward will be lots of fun.

kmspeaks
02-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Seth Davis has an article about the NCAA selection committee getting together in mid-Feb to put together a mock bracket (not bracketology).

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/30/ncaa-tournament-cbs-march-madness-preview-show

His article also has some very interesting tid-bits such as

"As long as everyone is healthy, the perfect rotation is seven or eight players. That way everyone gets their minutes and their shots, which makes for good chemistry."

and

As an aside stop going to ESPN.com to get your NCAA basketball info and Duke box scores. SI and other sites do a great job and are not fixated on Duke hate. The article I linked is a great example of a very positive and balanced view of what is happening in college basketball.

This was my favorite: "This week’s unsolicited advice for TV directors: Please do not show us a live box of a coach on the sidelines while the game is going on. Like, ever."

brlftz
02-02-2017, 12:34 PM
This was my favorite: "This week’s unsolicited advice for TV directors: Please do not show us a live box of a coach on the sidelines while the game is going on. Like, ever."

We call it the "turn my big screen into a small screen" -cam