PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Notre Dame (Jan 30, 2017)

JBDuke
01-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Notre Dame tonight?

slower
01-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Notre Dame tonight?

JB, MOTM was obviously your buddy Hancock from chat, who motivated Tatum to have a great game. :p

Dukehky
01-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Where ya'll that hated on Jayson Tatum's defense at?

OldPhiKap
01-30-2017, 10:41 PM
I will note: we have never lost a game in which Vrank has played.

But I voted Tatum.

Bluedevil114
01-30-2017, 10:46 PM
There is a difference in this team when the offense goes through Kennard and Allen. ND limited Kennard's looks all night long. Grayson was very good tonight. Jayson played under control and took advantage of mismatches but allowed the offense to go through Luke and Grayson. Much better ball movement tonight.

crf30
01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
I voted for Matt. Very efficient game for him after having a few games with pitiful shooting percentages.
Really nice to see Grayson play like he did last year too.

Ballboy1998
01-30-2017, 10:53 PM
A lot of good options for this one, but I went with Grayson largely because I thought he came up very big during a couple stretches where ND started to threaten the lead.

jv001
01-30-2017, 11:00 PM
I could have easily voted for Matt, Jayson, Luke or Grayson. Everyone stepped up when ND tried to keep Luke from beating them. I went with Jayson for his double/double and how he played mostly under control. I was proud of Luke for not forcing things and it helped us win a tough game. GoDuke

kAzE
01-30-2017, 11:03 PM
3 way tie for me between Grayson, Jayson, and Matt. All 3 of those guys were spectacular. I gave my vote to Jayson since I've voted for the other 2 before.

Jayson started the game terribly, but REALLY found his groove in the 2nd half and absolutely dominated the Irish. Goes to show, when the buckets go in, everything is good, and when they don't, he's ball stopper. He did have a couple of bad shots and dumb turnovers in the first half, but he was unstoppable otherwise. Matt was so good on defense as usual, and came up with big baskets, including the steal in the backcourt for a layup; a really deflating play for them.

Funny that we talked about how he's only had 13 free throw attempts on the season. He went 5-5 tonight :)

devildeac
01-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Tough call here but I'm going with Tatum with a dubbel-dubbel. 14 boards!!

Allen, Matt and Luke had really good games, too.

killerleft
01-30-2017, 11:22 PM
Tatum. O, kneel for Tatum.

Excellent D. Huuuuuuge rebounds. Grayson was more like Grayson. Matt was Matt.

BluDvlsN1
01-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Great team win, they’re getting into the “we won’t be beat mindset,
answered every ND run.

Really good defense, the offensive strategy and execution
is kudos to Jeff.

If one play could drive the vote it would have to be Luke’s baseline, behind the back pass, nutmeg
of Vasturia to Grayson for the 3. :cool:

A fair case can be made for either Jayson or Grayson.

Jayson’s double double was strong, 14 boards, and 8/14 shooting was a huge contribution, he played better today
in the late game than recently, but he is still showing his occasional questionable decision
making with his turn overs.

Grayson, in a tough environment, against a strong opponent, stayed focused,
played within the game, was the steady leader thats expected of him.
His stat line was good, but the focus was on him so steady, he wouldn’t
be beaten.

I gave him the edge because of the growth and maturity and
team leadership by example, he evidenced today.

Indoor66
01-31-2017, 07:18 AM
I have to go with Jayson. Others were good but he was very good. Rarely left the flow of the offense (after that 1st fade away that missed) and was relentless on the boards.

Better passing tonight - better ball movement. It is amazing what that opens up. It permits some great one-on-one play because everyone has to stay home on defense. Stagnation gone! Keep it up and this team can win a lot.

Reddevil
01-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Terrific team building type game. I voted for Grayson because of the four free throws at the end of the game to really seal it.

azzefkram
01-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Went with Jayson in a coin flip. Grayson and Matt also had really good games. Harry did a good job filling in for Amile after he fouled out.

flyingdutchdevil
01-31-2017, 09:04 AM
JB, MOTM was obviously your buddy Hancock from chat, who motivated Tatum to have a great game. :p

Can't spork you, but I thought this was pretty funny.

Newton_14
01-31-2017, 09:27 AM
I went with Grayson for his solid game overall but more importantly, for taking over when ND cut it to 1 and had the crowd going crazy. Grayson shut that down with a quick 3 and then a midrange jumper after the stop to push the lead right back to 6 demoralizing the ND players and the crowd. Those two shots were huge. Game savers imo.

Troublemaker
01-31-2017, 09:33 AM
I went with Grayson for his solid game overall but more importantly, for taking over when ND cut it to 1 and had the crowd going crazy. Grayson shut that down with a quick 3 and then a midrange jumper after the stop to push the lead right back to 6 demoralizing the ND players and the crowd. Those two shots were huge. Game savers imo.

Yeah, even though I voted for Jayson for his double-double including 14 rebounds(!), Grayson definitely made it tough because he hit those two high-leverage shots. The "fangraph" of win probability for Duke should've spiked upon those two shots.

Troublemaker
01-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Yeah, even though I voted for Jayson for his double-double including 14 rebounds(!), Grayson definitely made it tough because he hit those two high-leverage shots. The "fangraph" of win probability for Duke should've spiked upon those two shots.

At 63-62, Duke's chances of winning were 50/50. When Grayson made his three for 66-62, Duke's chances jumped to 72%. When he made his midrange jumper for 68-62, it jumped again to 85%. High-leverage makes for you.

http://i.imgur.com/kmyBsCX.png

OZZIE4DUKE
01-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Grayson, by a nose over Jayson! Great game by all last night! LGD GTHc!

wsb3
01-31-2017, 10:08 AM
I love it when there is more than one player for serious consideration for MOTM...Great case could be made for Tatum...Slow start but very good after that. Huge double double. Matt Jones had as an efficient offensive game as I can recall.. Great game by Matt..

But I will go with Grayson..Overall game & the 3 when ND cut it to one was the biggest shot of the night..

tbyers11
01-31-2017, 10:09 AM

This. Grayson and Jayson were both great in this game, but Grayson's 3 was the biggest shot of the game and the midrange jumper wasn't far behind.

Indoor66
01-31-2017, 10:43 AM
At 63-62, Duke's chances of winning were 50/50. When Grayson made his three for 66-62, Duke's chances jumped to 72%. When he made his midrange jumper for 68-62, it jumped again to 85%. High-leverage makes for you.

http://i.imgur.com/kmyBsCX.png

Good Lord! How meaningless.

CDu
01-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Good Lord! How meaningless.

I highly disagree. That graph shows you just how meaningful those four possessions (the stops and the two Allen makes) were. It had become a toss-up game that we effectively snuffed out in a hurry with two stops and two big makes by Allen.

killerleft
01-31-2017, 10:59 AM
I highly disagree. That graph shows you just how meaningful those four possessions (the stops and the two Allen makes) were. It had become a toss-up game that we effectively snuffed out in a hurry with two stops and two big makes by Allen.

Yep. I know I felt a lot better after that! As wsb3 said, when the choice isn't easy for MOTM after a win, we should be very happy.

ncexnyc
01-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Several players had very nice games, but today I went with Jayson. I believe this is the player we thought we were getting at the start of the season. He did a little bit of everything and for the most part made solid decisions during the game.