PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/30-2/5

pfrduke
01-30-2017, 02:07 AM
We're roughly halfway through the season and 2 1/2 games separate first from tenth (all ten of those teams are .500 or better). Eight of those look to be in reasonably good shape for tournament bids, and while it's time to talk about Georgia Tech as a ninth - not many bubble teams will have a better collection of wins than @VCU, UNC, Clemson, FSU, and Notre Dame - Syracuse still doesn't look like a team that's done enough to be in the conversation. I haven't yet given up on Clemson or Wake, but I have given up on Pitt, BC, and yes, NC State (the best you can say about their brutal stretch to finish the season - Syracuse, Miami, @FSU, @Wake, UNC, ND, @GT, UVA, @Clemson - is that it offers the chance of impressive wins, but as of today they're only favored in the Syracuse game (and even there, just barely)). I still think any ACC team other than Syracuse or BC that goes .500 or better in league play will get into the dance.

Monday
[24]Notre Dame (6-3) hosts [15]Duke (4-4) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
[9]North Carolina (7-2) hosts [86]Pittsburgh (1-7) (7:00, ESPN2)
[143]Boston College (2-7) hosts [34]Wake Forest (3-6) (7:00, ESPNU)

Wednesday
[78]NC State (3-6) hosts [54]Syracuse (5-4) (7:00, ESPN2)
[31]Clemson (2-6) hosts [71]Georgia Tech (5-4) (7:00, ACCN)
[33]Miami (4-4) hosts [23]Florida State (6-3) (8:00, ACCN)
[2]Virginia (6-2) hosts [50]Virginia Tech (5-4) (8:00, ACCN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
[54]Syracuse (5-4) hosts [2]Virginia (6-2) (12:00, ESPN2)
[15]Duke (4-4) hosts [86]Pittsburgh (1-7) (1:00, CBS)
[78]NC State (3-6) hosts [33]Miami (4-4) (3:00, ACCN)
[34]Wake Forest (3-6) hosts [71]Georgia Tech (5-4) (3:00, ACCN)
[143]Boston College (2-7) hosts [4]Louisville (6-3) (3:00, ACCN)
[9]North Carolina (7-2) hosts [24]Notre Dame (6-3) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday
[23]Florida State (6-3) hosts [31]Clemson (2-6) (12:30, ESPNU)

TruBlu
01-30-2017, 06:24 AM
The Duke - Pitt game on Saturday is at Duke. It is not "Pitt hosts Duke".

We do not need Cameron to be empty for this game.

Thanks for these threads. Very helpful.

pfrduke
01-30-2017, 11:00 AM
The Duke - Pitt game on Saturday is at Duke. It is not "Pitt hosts Duke".

We do not need Cameron to be empty for this game.

Thanks for these threads. Very helpful.

Fixed! Thanks for catching.

CDu
01-30-2017, 11:49 AM
A lot of opportunities for teams ahead of us in the standings to lose this week:

Syracuse (5-4) plays at State and then hosts UVa
Notre Dame (6-2) hosts us and then goes to Chapel Hill
Ga Tech (5-4) is on the road twice (at Clemson and at Wake)
FSU (6-3) goes to Miami
Va Tech (5-4) goes to UVa

If we can find a way to beat Notre Dame and then hold serve against Pitt, we could potentially find ourselves in a tie for fourth in the conference by week's end.

CDu
01-30-2017, 10:24 PM
A lot of opportunities for teams ahead of us in the standings to lose this week:

Syracuse (5-4) plays at State and then hosts UVa
Notre Dame (6-2) hosts us and then goes to Chapel Hill
Ga Tech (5-4) is on the road twice (at Clemson and at Wake)
FSU (6-3) goes to Miami
Va Tech (5-4) goes to UVa

If we can find a way to beat Notre Dame and then hold serve against Pitt, we could potentially find ourselves in a tie for fourth in the conference by week's end.

Step 1 complete. If we can hold serve at home, there is a good chance we will be movin on up in the conference as the carnage unfolds around us.

English
01-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Monday
[24]Notre Dame (6-3) hosts [15]Duke (4-4) (7:00, ESPN)

Perhaps more appropriate for the nerd polls thread, which has fallen off the first page, but Duke has now climbed back up to [13] after last night's road dub (from [15]). ND has dropped down to [27] after a home loss.

Duke is 13th AdjO and 31st AdjD. If you'd asked me to guess where I thought Duke would fall on adjusted defense (KenPom), I would've had us lower than 31st.

53n206
01-31-2017, 08:41 PM
When the Pittsburgh player crashed into the Carolina defender, an obvious offensive foul which went against the Tar Heels. I thought now he knows a little about how it feels to coach a Duke team.

dukefan_828
01-31-2017, 08:52 PM
WHY DID THEY GIVE CAROLINA FTs in a one posession game, down 3 and been on fire from 3?? LETS GO PITT!!!!

Troublemaker
01-31-2017, 09:11 PM
WHY DID THEY GIVE CAROLINA FTs in a one posession game, down 3 and been on fire from 3?? LETS GO PITT!!!!

Pitt didn't believe that it could stop UNC. So instead of letting UNC run clock and score at the end of the clock (Pitt's belief), they decided to extend the game and try to trade 3s for 2s (or 1s if UNC missed free throws).

If Pitt were a good defensive team, it might make sense to play defense and try to get the stop and the rebound (and, keep in mind, UNC is a great offensive rebounding team). But since Pitt is a bad defensive team, there is logic to extending the game.

pfrduke
01-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Pitt didn't believe that it could stop UNC. So instead of letting UNC run clock and score at the end of the clock (Pitt's belief), they decided to extend the game and try to trade 3s for 2s (or 1s if UNC missed free throws).

If Pitt were a good defensive team, it might make sense to play defense and try to get the stop and the rebound (and, keep in mind, UNC is a great offensive rebounding team). But since Pitt is a bad defensive team, there is logic to extending the game.

Plus, Jamal Artis almost sold the three-point shot on Jackson's intentional foul. Like, really close.

Newton_14
01-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Hmmm... I didn't see it, but depending on how much time would have been left at the end of the shot clock, I would have rolled the other way and not fouled...play them tough, try to force a bad shot and hope to get the rebound. My two cents....

devildeac
01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Hmmm... I didn't see it, but depending on how much time would have been left at the end of the shot clock, I would have rolled the other way and not fouled...play them tough, try to force a bad shot and hope to get the rebound. My two cents...

Musta been a lotta head-snappin' and floppin' in this one as the FT difference was 19-5. Not tellin' ya which way either...

:mad:

And DUKE gets all the calls????

Yet another opportunity to call acc reffing BS shenanigans here.

duke4ever19
02-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Plus, Jamal Artis almost sold the three-point shot on Jackson's intentional foul. Like, really close.

A certain Teddy Valentine made that call, or should I say, didn't make that call? Good, reliable Ted. Never wants to be in the limelight.

CDu
02-01-2017, 08:06 PM
We could be up to sixth in the ACC by the end of the night. With opportunities to move up to fifth this weekend.

Bob Green
02-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Dennis Smith is 1 rebound away from a triple-double with 7 minutes left in the State - Syracuse game.

devildeac
02-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Dennis Smith is 1 rebound away from a triple-double with 7 minutes left in the State - Syracuse game.

He's got it with 10 boards, 14 assists and 13 points and NCSU up 2 points with 3:07 to go.

devildeac
02-01-2017, 08:50 PM
If State and Clemson can hold on (looks very good for the Tigers now but the Wolfpack barely hanging on), Syracuse and GT will be 1/2 game behind our favorite acc team :) .

arnie
02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
The Pack is back. At least in the back end of the standings. Got would be gone at year's end, except for our gift.

jwillfan
02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
The Pack is back. At least in the back end of the standings. Got would be gone at year's end, except for our gift.

Nah, Gottfried survives at least through his contract due to his relationship with the AD Yow and the fact they don't want a GT situation, having to pay 2 coaches.

CDu
02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Nah, Gottfried survives at least through his contract due to his relationship with the AD Yow and the fact they don't want a GT situation, having to pay 2 coaches.

How many years does Yow have left? How many years left on Gott's deal?

PackMan97
02-01-2017, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure, but I think the wolves are starting to circle....they want some fresh meat. You don't bring in two 5-star recruits, have players like Rowan, Abu, Henderson and Dorin and lay an egg. The parts of our team would start or play a major role on any team in the league.

We are less than the sum of our parts...and that's all coaching. How many times do you see K, Williams, Boheim, Pitino, etc have that problem?

devildeac
02-01-2017, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the wolves are starting to circle...they want some fresh meat. You don't bring in two 5-star recruits, have players like Rowan, Abu, Henderson and Dorin and lay an egg. The parts of our team would start or play a major role on any team in the league.

We are less than the sum of our parts...and that's all coaching. How many times do you see K, Williams, Boheim, Pitino, etc have that problem?

firegott.com?

I have some vague recollection of firesendek.com and/or firelowe.com. :rolleyes:

PackMan97
02-01-2017, 10:45 PM
firegott.com?

I have some vague recollection of firesendek.com and/or firelowe.com. :rolleyes:

fireswofford.com

devildeac
02-01-2017, 11:53 PM
fireswofford.com

Now that I can endorse 150%!

Doria
02-02-2017, 01:04 PM

I am pretty sure it runs through 2020, but I may be short an extension. That was the last date I remember, though. Probably not worth it to fire him now, unless they're guaranteed a better coach.

Olympic Fan
02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
If State and Clemson can hold on (looks very good for the Tigers now but the Wolfpack barely hanging on), Syracuse and GT will be 1/2 game behind our favorite acc team :) .

Obviously, Clemson held on and State didn't. But Virginia Tech also lost, dropping them below us.

To me, it's not a matter of half-games, I look at the standings in the loss column. You can never get those back. After Wednesday night's games:

UNC and Virginia have two ACC losses

FSU and Louisville have three ACC losses

Duke is one of three ACC teams with four ACC loses, along with Notre Dame and Syracuse

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami all have five ACC losses

Saturday could see some significant movement (provided Duke can hold serve at home to Pitt). Virginia at Syracuse is the biggest game -- the 'Cuse finally got a road win, can they hold serve at home against a top team? Also Notre Dame at North Carolina. Louisville ought to be okay at BC, but the Eagles are a little feisty this season.

Doria
02-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I was pretty disappointed to watch State snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I expected their godawful performance against Louisville (I think?) because there's no way this current State teams strings together another victory against a ranked opponent after beating us. And as I anticipated, their performance was woebegone. But I thought that they were in decent shape against Syracuse, coming down the stretch, only to see--to my utter lack of surprise--them choke their way to defeat.

I'm tentatively looking forward to the ND game Saturday. Hope it'll be a boring game because the Irish trounce Carolina (or at least an entertaining game, I guess).

rasputin
02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
I was pretty disappointed to watch State snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I expected their godawful performance against Louisville (I think?) because there's no way this current State teams strings together another victory against a ranked opponent after beating us. And as I anticipated, their performance was woebegone. But I thought that they were in decent shape against Syracuse, coming down the stretch, only to see--to my utter lack of surprise--them choke their way to defeat.

I'm tentatively looking forward to the ND game Saturday. Hope it'll be a boring game because the Irish trounce Carolina (or at least an entertaining game, I guess).

I was yelling at the TV for the Pack to foul at the end of regulation. Syracuse had the ball with, like, 11 seconds left (too early to foul when you're up by 3), but when the clock got down to 4 or 5 I didn't understand why State didn't foul, and the failure to do so cost them.

jv001
02-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Obviously, Clemson held on and State didn't. But Virginia Tech also lost, dropping them below us.

To me, it's not a matter of half-games, I look at the standings in the loss column. You can never get those back. After Wednesday night's games:

UNC and Virginia have two ACC losses

FSU and Louisville have three ACC losses

Duke is one of three ACC teams with four ACC loses, along with Notre Dame and Syracuse

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami all have five ACC losses

Saturday could see some significant movement (provided Duke can hold serve at home to Pitt). Virginia at Syracuse is the biggest game -- the 'Cuse finally got a road win, can they hold serve at home against a top team? Also Notre Dame at North Carolina. Louisville ought to be okay at BC, but the Eagles are a little feisty this season.

I look at the standings the same way(bolded). I do the same thing in baseball. Beginning in late July, I look at the loss column of my St. Louis Cardinals. Last year it wasn't much fun because of those cubbies. The cubs are not as bad as uncheat, but they are low on my favorite teams list. GoDuke1

PackMan97
02-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Word on the street is that Carolina is trying to get out of playing ND tomorrow night because of a water main break that has disrupted their campus.

First they delay the NC State game because of "lack of snow" and now they are trying to screw with ND? Dirty rotten cheats to the end.

If it's a public safety issue to hold the game with 20,000 fans the simple solution is to hold the game with 0 fans :)

Tripping William
02-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Word on the street is that Carolina is trying to get out of playing ND tomorrow night because of a water main break that has disrupted their campus.

First they delay the NC State game because of "lack of snow" and now they are trying to screw with ND? Dirty rotten cheats to the end.

If it's a public safety issue to hold the game with 20,000 fans the simple solution is to hold the game with 0 fans :)

And because it isn't "the friggin' Duke game," there would be no discernible difference in the noise-level. :rolleyes:

Stray Gator
02-03-2017, 05:49 PM

WRAL just reported that the Notre Dame-UNC game has been moved to Sunday at 1:00 p.m. due to the water contamination problem in Orange County.

DukieTiger
02-03-2017, 05:54 PM
WRAL just reported that the Notre Dame-UNC game has been moved to Sunday at 1:00 p.m. due to the water contamination problem in Orange County.

I've been waiting on this for years, given that they are so full of you-know-what over there.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2017, 06:01 PM

I've been waiting on this for years, given that they are so full of you-know-what over there.

This is why you have to separate storm sewer and sanitary sewer systems. Especially where, as DukeTiger notes, a back-up is eminently foreseeable.

rasputin
02-03-2017, 06:01 PM
This is why you have to separate storm sewer and sanitary sewer systems. Especially where, s DukeRiger notes, a back-up is eminently foreseeable.

UNC IS a sewer.

howardlander
02-03-2017, 06:06 PM

Apparently the game has also been moved to the Greensboro coliseum.

Howard

Stray Gator
02-03-2017, 06:12 PM

Howard

That's correct.

TKG
02-03-2017, 06:29 PM
This just confirms something we have thought for a long time, there IS something in the water over there!

norduck
02-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Howard
espn not tagging along. No tv.

DU82
02-03-2017, 07:20 PM
espn not tagging along. No tv.

They said that the game will be on ESPNews. Can't interrupt the 50 hour marathon coverage of some football game.

sagegrouse
02-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Back in the day (mid-1960's), the Town of Chapel Hill was running a fairly obnoxious promotion campaign with bumper stickers and other stuff pushing some line like, "Life Is Better in Chapel Hill." Then there was a water shortage in 1968 in this perfect Garden of Eden, and the burghers of Chapel Hill turned to the City of Durham for help. IIRC, the Durham City Council said, "Hell no" and turned down the request. The issue was later resolved, but Chapel Hill learned a lesson.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Maybe if they hadn't spent all their money on a fruitless defense of their cheating ways they could have afforded some infrastructure. Can't they just go to that old well for water? It's in every picture of that dump.

oh yeah... now they really are the dump on the hump.

Come on crazies, this is too good, don't let us down next week.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Back in the day (mid-1960's), the Town of Chapel Hill was running a fairly obnoxious promotion campaign with bumper stickers and other stuff pushing some line like, "Life Is Better in Chapel Hill." Then there was a water shortage in 1968 in this perfect Garden of Eden, and the burghers of Chapel Hill turned to the City of Durham for help. IIRC, the Durham City Council said, "Hell no" and turned down the request. The issue was later resolved, but Chapel Hill learned a lesson.

And,now, the rest of the story. The chairman of the Public Works Committee of the Durham City Council was none other than Tom Hunt of Hunt Construction Company - a life long Duke supporter. The Mayor was, IRRC, Sense Grabarek, CPA, a Duke grad. Chapel Hill had blocked certain projects that the City of Durham wanted to do.

The issue was resolved by the building of a pipeline to the Orange County line - but Durham retained control of the shut off valve.

Newton_14
02-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Howard

Even though the joint will still be slam full of cheat fans, it will still not be the same as a true home game for uncCheat/true road game for ND. I will take every advantage availableno matter how slight. Hopefully ND finds the Greensboro rims as accommodating as they did when they won the ACC Championship over the Cheats the last time these two teams met in that building.

Plus, this throws them off their routine and gives them one less day to prepare for Duke, and gives us one more day of rest than them. Again, no matter how small or slight, I will take every advantage we can get.

Go ND and Go Duke!!

sagegrouse
02-03-2017, 09:22 PM
And,now, the rest of the story. The chairman of the Public Works Committee of the Durham City Council was none other than Tom Hunt of Hunt Construction Company - a life long Duke supporter. The Mayor was, IRRC, Sense Grabarek, CPA, a Duke grad. Chapel Hill had blocked certain projects that the City of Durham wanted to do.

The issue was resolved by the building of a pipeline to the Orange County line - but Durham retained control of the shut off valve.

And the rest of the rest of the story: The Mayor at the time was Wense Grabarek. His predecessor was -- wait for it -- Emanuel J. “Mutt” Evans, Durham's "First Jewish Mayor, 1951-1963" (per the courthouse web site). Mutt is Jason Evans's grandfather.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-04-2017, 07:58 AM
I'm hoping so see some more videos of tar heel "students" getting punked next week...

ChrisP
02-04-2017, 08:49 AM
It definitely is, in many ways, the dump on the hump. However, I happen to live here (Cheaterville) now and this whole lack of water thing is starting to really stink. Pun intended. I went to 3 stores yesterday and spent like $70 on bottled water for the family. All because some 45 year old water main broke. I'm thinking, "Shouldn't they just plan/budget to replace the mains oh every, you know, FORTY years or so?" What, exactly are my super high property taxes paying for in this dump???

Indoor66
02-04-2017, 09:10 AM
It definitely is, in many ways, the dump on the hump. However, I happen to live here (Cheaterville) now and this whole lack of water thing is starting to really stink. Pun intended. I went to 3 stores yesterday and spent like $70 on bottled water for the family. All because some 45 year old water main broke. I'm thinking, "Shouldn't they just plan/budget to replace the mains oh every, you know, FORTY years or so?" What, exactly are my super high property taxes paying for in this dump???

Mains are replaced when they break. There are mains that have functioned without problem for well over 100 years. The cost of replacement, even when needed, is quite high. Regular replacement would financially break most communities.

Stray Gator
02-04-2017, 09:15 AM
If only they could have collected on all those unpaid parking tickets . . .

CDu
02-04-2017, 03:47 PM
We now control our own destiny against every team in the ACC except Louisville.

devildeac
02-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Can't verify this but heard Bonzie Colson picked up 3 quick, early fouls in the shoot-around...

:rolleyes:

BandAlum83
02-06-2017, 10:59 AM
The new week "This Week" thread isn't up yet, so this big news can go here for now.

Mangok Mathiang, Deng Adel to sit against Virginia for missing curfew
(http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18630741/louisville-cardinals-mangok-mathiang-deng-adel-suspended-virginia-cavaliers-missing-curfew).

Someone noted we control our own destiny against all but Louisville. We may have just gotten an assist.

Troublemaker
02-06-2017, 12:01 PM
The new week "This Week" thread isn't up yet, so this big news can go here for now.

Mangok Mathiang, Deng Adel to sit against Virginia for missing curfew
(http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18630741/louisville-cardinals-mangok-mathiang-deng-adel-suspended-virginia-cavaliers-missing-curfew).

Someone noted we control our own destiny against all but Louisville. We may have just gotten an assist.

Yikes, and Lville already had two point guards out. AND UVA has been a huge thorn in their side since they joined the ACC. Would be a big upset if the Cards somehow win tonight. They have been on a roll, though.

CDu
02-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Yikes, and Lville already had two point guards out. AND UVA has been a huge thorn in their side since they joined the ACC. Would be a big upset if the Cards somehow win tonight. They have been on a roll, though.

Yeah, I may have undersold the picture a little bit. If Louisville loses tonight, it gets slightly muddier. There would technically be a scenario in which we could still fall behind either Louisville, UVa, or FSU, if we win out.

Note: this assumes we win out, which is obviously an unlikely but possible scenario.

If Louisville loses tonight and Louisville, FSU, and UVa win out thereafter (aside from an FSU loss to us), we'd finish in a 4-way tie with Louisville, FSU, and UVa. FSU (3-1 against the group in that scenario) would be the 1 seed, we'd be the 2 seed (tied with UVa at 2-2 but with the head-to-head tiebreaker). UVa would be #3 and Louisville would be #4.

If Louisville loses tonight and just Louisville and FSU win out (again assuming the FSU loss to us), we would be in a 3-way tie with those two. FSU would again be the #1 seed, with Louisville getting the #2 on head-to-head.

If FSU and UVa win out (again with FSU losing to us), we would either be the #1 (if UNC is 4th) or #2 behind FSU (if Louisville is 4th).

If Louisville loses tonight and then Louisville and UVa win out, we'd finish #2 to UVa.

If only UVa wins out, we'd be the #1. If only FSU wins out, we'd either be the #1 (if UNC is ahead of Louisville) or #2 behind FSU (vice versa). If only Louisville wins out, we'd be the #2 to Louisville.

Again, this is all contingent upon us winning out. But if we do win out, I think we'll likely be the #1 team in the conference.

Regardless, we are very much in the race for the conference title, as everyone has multiple very losable games left.

Troublemaker
02-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Regardless, we are very much in the race for the conference title, as everyone has multiple very losable games left.

"Very much" might be overstating it, depending on how you define it. I think Duke has like a 5-10% chance of winning the conference. (Note: no serious math went into that calc.)

Keep in mind I've been one of the more optimistic posters and had one of the most optimistic predictions in the "Predict Duke's ACC Record" poll. But yeah, I've not really given much thought to winning the regular season since the NCSU loss. [This could change if we win the next 3 games (UNC, Clemson, @UVA), at which point I'd probably get sucked back into thinking about it.]

CDu
02-06-2017, 06:36 PM
"Very much" might be overstating it, depending on how you define it. I think Duke has like a 5-10% chance of winning the conference. (Note: no serious math went into that calc.)

Keep in mind I've been one of the more optimistic posters and had one of the most optimistic predictions in the "Predict Duke's ACC Record" poll. But yeah, I've not really given much thought to winning the regular season since the NCSU loss. [This could change if we win the next 3 games (UNC, Clemson, @UVA), at which point I'd probably get sucked back into thinking about it.]

If we win those three games, I wouldn't just say it is time to think about it. I would talk about us as heavy contenders. By that point, we would be only half a game out of first. And we would have games against @UNC and FSU which would likely decide it.

I definitely don't think we are likely to win it. As of now? Sure, 5-10% is reasonable. And sure, that number is down from probably around 25-30% in preseason. But 5% is definitely in it. UNC, UVa, and FSU are surely the favorites as of now. But we have the talent and the opportunity to run each of them down.

Troublemaker
02-06-2017, 06:43 PM
If we win those three games, I wouldn't just say it is time to think about it. I would talk about us as heavy contenders. By that point, we would be only half a game out of first. And we would have games against @UNC and FSU which would likely decide it.

I definitely don't think we are likely to win it. As of now? Sure, 5-10% is reasonable. And sure, that number is down from probably around 25-30% in preseason. But 5% is definitely in it. UNC, UVa, and FSU are surely the favorites as of now. But we have the talent and the opportunity to run each of them down.

Yeah, our difference is just semantics, as I thought. We have roughly the same estimate.

Also, you probably forgot to list Louisville, who has a favorable schedule down the stretch. (Relatively speaking for an ACC contender). If they can pull off the upset tonight while shorthanded, they're probably the favorite.

CDu
02-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Yeah, our difference is just semantics, as I thought. We have roughly the same estimate.

Also, you probably forgot to list Louisville, who has a favorable schedule down the stretch. (Relatively speaking for an ACC contender). If they can pull off the upset tonight while shorthanded, they're probably the favorite.

Yeah, the only reason I left Louisville out because if they lose tonight (and I think they lose tonight) then they will have been swept by FSU and Louisville and have to go to UNC. So they would have trouble with any tiebreak scenario.

FSU has the easiest path left. Their issue is consistency. But in terms of likelihood of winning out, they would seem to be the most likely. Louisville is next easiest, but they have road games against UVa and UNC and then at home versus Notre Dame. UNC and UVa both have pretty rough schedules left.

Kishiznit
02-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Odd that it worked out this way...looking at the top 8 ACC teams (current standings) below is the number of road games each will play vs. the other 7.
UNC-CHeat: 2
FSU: 5
UVA: 5
Louisville: 5
Cuse: 4
DUKE: 7
Irish: 4
VaTech: 4

Any guesses on which squad travels to the bottom 7?

Newton_14
02-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Odd that it worked out this way...looking at the top 8 ACC teams (current standings) below is the number of road games each will play vs. the other 7.

They have a cakewalk. Thanks Commish...

arnie
02-07-2017, 07:18 AM

That's Ok. The untested and overrated holes wont understand what hit them when they play strong teams on neutral courts in both ACC and NCAA tourneys.

Troublemaker
02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
That's Ok. The untested and overrated holes wont understand what hit them when they play strong teams on neutral courts in both ACC and NCAA tourneys.

Unfortunately, a bunch of players who played in the national championship game probably can't be called untested. They get the benefits of the schedule without the downsides.

jv001
02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
UNC-CHeat: 2FSU: 5

They can all go to Hades as far as I'm concerned. They've always been cheaters and everything they have won over the years was won by their cheating. They're nothing, yeh a big ZERO. GTHC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DukieInBrasil
02-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Clemson really on a roll vs the 'Cuse zone, 10-0 run with jump hooks in the lane, FT line jumpers, alley oop dunks. They're really picking apart the zone by attacking it in the heart.