PDA

View Full Version : Is Grayson's fire back?

mailman2927
01-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Couldn't watch the game live yesterday but did watch it today. It seemed to me that Grayson looked different than he has in awhile. Almost like he said screw the haters, I'm going to play my game. Noticed after hitting an early 3, he put his finger to his mouth telling the crowd ssshhh. I LOVED IT. Reminded me of JJ's swag a little bit. Did anyone else get the same vibe I did?

killerleft
01-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Yes. I've been looking for it. Grayson without the fire is not the All-American we know and love.

He walks the line. He just does.

LasVegas
01-29-2017, 02:57 PM
I was listening to JJ's podcast the other day. One episode he had Chris Collins on and they were discussing the acc champ game his senior year, IIRC. Boston college was really taking it to the team and JJ was no where to be found. A minute or so into the second half, Collins told K to pull JJ so he could tear into him on the bench. JJ got angry and yelled back and Collins whispered to K that he was ready to go back in. He then hit three straight threes and Duke took over the game. Collins basically said he needed JJ angry, needed that fire in him. I feel the same can be said sometimes for Grayson. Sometimes the Kraken does need released!

jv001
01-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Maybe Coach K gave Grayson his blessing to get fired up again in the meeting at K's home. Think you're playing Wisconsin in a big game. GoDuke!

subzero02
01-29-2017, 11:22 PM
Maybe Coach K gave Grayson his blessing to get fired up again in the meeting at K's home. Think you're playing Wisconsin in a big game. GoDuke!

Blessing to get fired up again? I doubt he ever told him not to be fired up.

FerryFor50
01-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Couldn't watch the game live yesterday but did watch it today. It seemed to me that Grayson looked different than he has in awhile. Almost like he said screw the haters, I'm going to play my game. Noticed after hitting an early 3, he put his finger to his mouth telling the crowd ssshhh. I LOVED IT. Reminded me of JJ's swag a little bit. Did anyone else get the same vibe I did?

The shush was directed at a few hecklers at courtside. They were pretty active all game long.

kAzE
01-30-2017, 11:16 AM
I like that the media has started to shift their perception of the "the guy" from Grayson to Luke since the Wake game. I think for the most part, media folks have nothing but positives to say about Luke, and it's good that their attention has started to shift a bit. Grayson obviously still made headlines because of that sideline thing with Childress by no fault of his own, but if Grayson becomes just another Duke player instead of the face of the program, I think it will help him and the team finally get past this media witch hunt. It's definitely affected his play to some degree.

flyingdutchdevil
01-30-2017, 11:21 AM
I like that the media has started to shift their perception of the "the guy" from Grayson to Luke since the Wake game. I think for the most part, media folks have nothing but positives to say about Luke, and it's good that their attention has started to shift a bit. Grayson obviously still made headlines because of that sideline thing with Childress by no fault of his own, but if Grayson becomes just another Duke player instead of the face of the program, I think it will help him and the team finally get past this media witch hunt.

Yeah, until Dana O'Neil asks "Will Luke Kennard be the next hated white Duke player?"

$%&#ing ESPN.

Anywho, agree with your post. Luke is a darling. I love his stoic face when he goes 6/6 from 3pt land and saves the game or when he goes 2-6 against BC. Also, the "only" knock against Kennard, if you can call it that, is that he constantly plays with his hair. Frankly speaking, I love that tick and merely adds to his charm.

BTW, nice new avatar. Hopefully, Kennard sticks around for another year and then I can change mine over the summer.

BandAlum83
01-30-2017, 11:24 AM
I like that the media has started to shift their perception of the "the guy" from Grayson to Luke since the Wake game. I think for the most part, media folks have nothing but positives to say about Luke, and it's good that their attention has started to shift a bit. Grayson obviously still made headlines because of that sideline thing with Childress by no fault of his own, but if Grayson becomes just another Duke player instead of the face of the program, I think it will help him and the team finally get past this media witch hunt. It's definitely affected his play to some degree.

Important to note that at least the one article I saw that presented "alternative facts" had a comment section full of pushback from even Duke haters that Grayson did nothing wrong.

That kind of feedback should also stem the tide of Grayson stories.

kAzE
01-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Yeah, until Dana O'Neil asks "Will Luke Kennard be the next hated white Duke player?"

$%&#ing ESPN.

Anywho, agree with your post. Luke is a darling. I love his stoic face when he goes 6/6 from 3pt land and saves the game or when he goes 2-6 against BC. Also, the "only" knock against Kennard, if you can call it that, is that he constantly plays with his hair. Frankly speaking, I love that tick and merely adds to his charm.

BTW, nice new avatar. Hopefully, Kennard sticks around for another year and then I can change mine over the summer.

I hope he sticks around, too. I can already tell that there will be a major debate here after the season whether or not he should go pro, but I'm selfish, and I think it would be amazing to watch next year's team be Luke's team from start to finish. I think we would get a JJ-esque season out of the kid. He's incredible.

wavedukefan70s
01-30-2017, 11:41 AM
What two wake players did to G.A.is a pathetic display.not to mention the foul on luke then the intentional knee afterwards.its open season on duke and allen.i hope both can weather the storm.
The stress level that grayson is under must be absolutley crushing at times.i give him props for moving forward and playing the best he can.hes playing a lot of p.g. so his numbers are down.i believe he has fire .it may be hard to see learning and being a floor general.
He is very aware.i believe if he does not raise his hands in the bench scrum.he gets a tech.smart play.thats a team play.anyones instinct would be to knock the stuffing out of the guy that slung him on the bench(hell i wanted to punch him).he ate it for the sake of the team.make no mistake hes back and smarter than before.

Skydog
01-30-2017, 06:01 PM

I thought the same - Grayson looked more confident and offensively aggressive from the start. Scored a much needed 19 points and went 5-11 from 3, 4-4 from the line and confidently drains that much needed 3 in the final minute. Great reaction on his part to all the negative energy coming at him from all sides. Hope this was the just the beginning of a long streak of fired up Allen performances.

jv001
01-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Blessing to get fired up again? I doubt he ever told him not to be fired up.

I think Coach K told Grayson to keep his anger under control and quit tripping people. I know that K never told Grayson not to play fired up. For what ever reason, Grayson wasn't playing like the Grayson of last season and just maybe he's had to find the middle ground. I'm hoping he's back to the Good Grayson Allen. We need him to be that player to reach the team goals. GoDuke!