PDA

View Full Version : CBS: This Duke Team Belongs to Luke

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Without Kennard, Duke isn't even in the game. Hell, without Kennard, Duke isn't anything better than a No. 8 seed in March. There once was a time -- all of two weeks ago -- when that notion would've been ridiculous to me, to you, to most in college basketball. Now, I've never been more sure of it. Without Kennard, Duke is an ACC afterthought. Without Kennard, Duke loses in blowout fashion at Wake Forest.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/once-and-for-all-duke-has-to-accept-that-this-team-belongs-to-luke-kennard/

TKG
01-28-2017, 07:38 PM
The sooner his teammates understand that the better......

Wander
01-28-2017, 07:39 PM
I think a (healthy) Jefferson is just as good and important to Duke as Kennard.

smythe13
01-28-2017, 07:43 PM
The sooner the coaching staff figures it out the better

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:47 PM
I was already thinking this as well. Luke is the guy we need to run the offense through. He's far and away the best offensive player on the team, at least until Grayson decides to start playing like his 2015-16 aggressive self at some point.

53n206
01-28-2017, 07:52 PM
I was already thinking this as well. Luke is the guy we need to run the offense through. He's far and away the best offensive player on the team, at least until Grayson decides to start playing like his 2015-16 aggressive self at some point.

At this point can Grayson play with aggression? Tossed within 5 min with 2 technicals.

AFL
01-28-2017, 08:00 PM
The sooner his teammates understand that the better...

Amen!

kAzE
01-28-2017, 08:00 PM
At this point can Grayson play with aggression? Tossed within 5 min with 2 technicals.

Don't get me wrong, Grayson is still a wonderful player and still does an incredible job for this team, but in his current role, and the way he's been forced to play because of absurd scrutiny this season, he's just not the guy. It's unfortunate that he's forced to play out of position, I'm just saying that Luke has to be the focus of the offense. I think we should feature him similar to JJ Redick when he was a senior.

The other possibility is that Frank Jackson just becomes the point guard, meaning Grayson can go back to the wing, and focus on scoring once again, where he can be a monster.

AFL
01-28-2017, 08:02 PM
I think a (healthy) Jefferson is just as good and important to Duke as Kennard.

I beg to differ. But after Kennard, I'll admit that Jefferson is the second most important player on the team. Both Kennard and Jefferson are irreplaceable.

TKG
01-28-2017, 08:03 PM
In his post game press conference, Capel called attention to FJ's contribution running the point today. It would be nice to see that trend continue and have both LK and GA as snipers from the wings and focused on finding seams in the D.

Jim3k
01-28-2017, 08:21 PM

Couldn't see the game live due to cable company issues, but the official box score (http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2016-17/basketball-m/du0128.htm) shows that Grayson was charged with only one technical. Wake had two players charged with technicals.

-jk
01-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Couldn't see the game live due to cable company issues, but the official box score (http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2016-17/basketball-m/du0128.htm) shows that Grayson was charged with only one technical. Wake had two players charged with technicals.

There was a double tech with Grayson. The second one was an intentional foul (Grayson grabbed an arm after a miss, when the wake guy kept his arm in Grayson's face a little longer than necessary) and a subsequent tech on Wake in the followup melee.

The refs completely lost control of the game...

-jk

Edouble
01-28-2017, 09:00 PM

The game wasn't on cable, it was online. :(:confused::eek:

Saratoga2
01-28-2017, 09:00 PM
There was a double tech with Grayson. The second one was an intentional foul (Grayson grabbed an arm after a miss, when the wake guy kept his arm in Grayson's face a little longer than necessary) and a subsequent tech on Wake in the followup melee.

-jk

I thought the refs did a poor job by calling phantom fouls, putting players in foul trouble and slowing the pace of the game. I haven't looked at the box score but believe Wake got a very high number of points from the foul line. Of course some were deserved but in my opinion many were more of the play on variety.

killerleft
01-28-2017, 09:18 PM

Two technicals means disqualification. When Grayson came back out after the tiff it was proof he had not been T'd up.

Bluedog
01-28-2017, 09:23 PM

-jk

It wasn't an intentional foul called. (There are no "intentional fouls" in college anymore, just flagrants and technicals). Just a common foul. Wake went to the line because we were over the foul limit. And he went with to the line with nobody to rebound simply because Duke was shooting FTs right after as a result of the tech. The commentators did a poor job of relaying what was going on in the game for sure. Grayson got called for a common foul during the play for hitting the guy on the wrist and the Wake guy who tackled Grayson after play was over him got a tech. ESPN headline: "Grayson Allen involved in play that results in technical." Seriously. Nevermind, that he wasn't the one called for the tech! Guy who got it not even mentioned by name...

CDu
01-28-2017, 09:33 PM
It wasn't an intentional foul called. (There are no "intentional fouls" in college anymore, just flagrants and technicals). Just a common foul. Wake went to the line because we were over the foul limit. And he went with to the line with nobody to rebound simply because Duke was shooting FTs right after as a result of the tech. The commentators did a poor job of relaying what was going on in the game for sure. Grayson got called for a common foul during the play for hitting the guy on the wrist and the Wake guy who tackled Grayson after play was over him got a tech. ESPN headline: "Grayson Allen involved in play that results in technical." Seriously. Nevermind, that he wasn't the one called for the tech! Guy who got it not even mentioned by name...

Yup, that is correct.

Jim3k
01-28-2017, 10:49 PM
The game wasn't on cable, it was online.

To get the streamed version, your cable company has to offer Watch ESPN (formerly ESPN3); ACC+ is a part of that system. Since my cable company (WAVE) is one of the few which does not offer it, I can't access ACC+. True even if I have a streaming stick of some kind (like my HULU). You have to sign in with your cable company's password. And I can't. I have asked, but they won't budge. :(

[It gets worse at the end of the month. I have two digitally set up HDTVs. Both are approved by the company. But I also have several smaller sets which can only get analog (no box). At the end of the month, they will be rendered useless, as the company is forcing everyone to get some sort of converter--which I will have to pay extra for. :mad:]

OldPhiKap
01-28-2017, 10:52 PM

-jk

You mean calling fifty fouls and letting kids jaw during all the down time is counterproductive?

That game was absolutely painful to watch, and took 2 1/2 hours.

YmoBeThere
01-28-2017, 11:09 PM
You mean calling fifty fouls and letting kids jaw during all the down time is counterproductive?

That game was absolutely painful to watch, and took 2 1/2 hours.

Did it at least have a good ending?

Rich
01-28-2017, 11:24 PM
The game wasn't on cable, it was online. :(:confused::eek:

It was on an obscure cable channel that occasionally shows ACC games in my part of the country (Xfinity in NJ).

jv001
01-29-2017, 12:50 AM
I watched the game on Time Warner Cable who had the game on local CBS(WFMY). However I missed the first 4 or 5 minutes while they showed every commercial they have. As for this being Luke's team, I agree we should go through him on every possession that's not a fast break. He's shown to be a willing passer and not a black hole. Grayson and Frank(4 assists-0 turnovers) are good passers and Matt chipped in today with 6 assists but had 3 turnovers. This is a good TEAM and they should play like it. GoDuke!

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 01:09 AM

-jk

I am quite sure the second foul you speak of was a common foul, JK.

CDu
01-29-2017, 08:42 AM
I am quite sure the second foul you speak of was a common foul, JK.

You are correct. For one thing, there is no such thing as an intentional foul now. But for another, the official play-by-play lists it as a common foul. It was a 2-shot common foul because Wake was in the double-bonus. And it was a 2-shot foul with no rebounders because of Wake's technical.