PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Wake Forest 1-28-2017

Newton_14
01-28-2017, 05:53 PM
OK. This one has the poll. (As it should).

jv001
01-28-2017, 05:55 PM
OK. This one has the poll. (As it should).

Sorry buddy, I don't see it. GoDuke!

wallyman
01-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Ok. As long as only votes for Kennard count.

Newton_14
01-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Hey Kaze, my apologies buddy, I intended to merge the MOTM thread you started with this one and I screwed it up and merged yours with the Post Game thread instead. Sorry. My bad there.

What a comeback and what a game by Luke Kennard! Season saving possibly.

flyingdutchdevil
01-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Some $&?@#% will vote for a non-Kennard player. And he/she will probably vote for Tatum.

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Some $&?@#% will vote for a non-Kennard player. And he/she will probably vote for Tatum.

...and if voting for him should be banned!

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2017, 06:14 PM
This was the statement game that this team needed. And that statement was: This is Luke's team!

wsb3
01-28-2017, 06:15 PM
You would have to be certifiably insane not to vote for Luke..;)

flyingdutchdevil
01-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Welp. There it goes

CDu
01-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Welp. There it goes

There will never be a unanimous selection. That is just not how DBR works.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Luke, of course! But a shout out to fellow PC alum Antonio Vrankovic! No, I'm not the one who voted for him.

Newton_14
01-28-2017, 06:53 PM
There will never be a unanimous selection. That is just not how DBR works.
Agree, but like others, I strongly believe each MOTM Poll should list every player that got into the game.

Luke was easily the MOTM today for his performance in the 2nd half and hitting the game winning shot to boot. Everyone who understands the game should have voted for him but there is always at least one, often times more, contrarians....Doesn't make Luke's performance or win in the poll less important....

BluDvlsN1
01-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Great comeback win!

https://twitter.com/Tyusjones06/status/825472998207582208

duke4ever19
01-28-2017, 07:11 PM
I'd be very interested to hear the argument for Vrank being MOTM.

It will take the eloquence of Cicero and Demosthenes to convince me he is, in fact, MOTM, but I'm all ears.

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 07:15 PM

It will take the eloquence of Cicero and Demosthenes to convince me he is, in fact, MOTM, but I'm all ears.

Either that or talking with a mouth full of marbles.

CDu
01-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Agree, but like others, I strongly believe each MOTM Poll should list every player that got into the game.

Luke was easily the MOTM today for his performance in the 2nd half and hitting the game winning shot to boot. Everyone who understands the game should have voted for him but there is always at least one, often times more, contrarians...Doesn't make Luke's performance or win in the poll less important...

Not complaining. Just reminding that there will likely never be a unanimous selection. Every time someone has a phenomenal game, folks suggest someone will be unanimous. And yet every time there is a contrarian who goes another direction. Just the way it is.

Newton_14
01-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Not complaining. Just reminding that there will likely never be a unanimous selection. Every time someone has a phenomenal game, folks suggest someone will be unanimous. And yet every time there is a contrarian who goes another direction. Just the way it is. Oh sorry. I wasn't intending to say you were. I just built on your post there to further the point.

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Hey Kaze, my apologies buddy, I intended to merge the MOTM thread you started with this one and I screwed it up and merged yours with the Post Game thread instead. Sorry. My bad there.

What a comeback and what a game by Luke Kennard! Season saving possibly.

No worries :)

I got a little overexcited because of Luke's unreal performance. What. A. Game.

Breaking out the new profile pic . . .

YmoBeThere
01-28-2017, 08:21 PM

The Kid only got 99.32% of the vote.

TruBlu
01-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Which is fairly close to his shooting percentage from 3 point land.;)

mph
01-29-2017, 10:55 AM
I like contrarians. Heck, being surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious UNC fans in my elementary school is what attracted me to Duke in the 1st place. That said, I think the MOTM contrarians ought to post a defense of their pick. I agree that Vrank and Allen played well, but IMO Luke was on another level. (I'm happy to reciprocate by offering a defense of my contrarianism as a 5th grader. :D)

Edouble
01-29-2017, 11:04 AM

Thanks in part to you, who voted for Vrank. :confused:

CDu
01-29-2017, 11:12 AM
I like contrarians. Heck, being surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious UNC fans in my elementary school is what attracted me to Duke in the 1st place. That said, I think the MOTM contrarians ought to post a defense of their pick. I agree that Vrank and Allen played well, but IMO Luke was on another level. (I'm happy to reciprocate by offering a defense of my contrarianism as a 5th grader. :D)

Vrankovic committed 4 fouls in 6 minutes, gathered no rebounds and got a dunk because the Wake defense ignored him standing alone under the basket. The team was outscored by 2 with him in the game. I am not sure it is appropriate to say he played well.

JetpackJesus
01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
Matt Norlander over at CBS has cast his vote for Luke.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/once-and-for-all-duke-has-to-accept-that-this-team-belongs-to-luke-kennard/

Sorry for long url. Posting from mobile.

magjayran
01-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Even the MOTM poll that had Austin Rivers or "Someone else and you better have a good reason" was unanimous.

I voted for Austin then. I voted for Luke this time.

DukieInBrasil
01-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Vrankovic committed 4 fouls in 6 minutes, gathered no rebounds and got a dunk because the Wake defense ignored him standing alone under the basket. The team was outscored by 2 with him in the game. I am not sure it is appropriate to say he played well.

All true, but there is something to be said for the way that Collins got rattled while Vrank was in, and Vrank goaded him into a foul as well. Even though Vrank wasn't on him during the final stretch, Collins didn't score during the final 5 minutes. I think that starts with Vrank pushing him out of his comfort zone, got him out of his groove (during which he was mind-bogglingly good) and he never got his groove back. I'm not advocating that he is MOTM for that, but i see that he did something valuable to the team that went beyond just the -2. He helped change the attitude of the game, from one in which Wake could do whatever it wanted to one, that eventually, couldn't do anything that it wanted.

mph
01-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Vrank is stealthy like that. Seriously, I agree with your point although +/- on 6 minutes doesn't mean much. While Grayson played well objectively, Vrankovic played well relative to expectations. I only lumped Grayson and Vrankovic together because they both received MOTM votes, and I should have clarified that I don't think their level of play was close to comparable. We both agree that Luke was the MOTM and I assume that we both agree that a vote for Grayson is much more defensible than a vote for Vrank. In both cases, I'd like to hear the contrarians make their case.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Vrank did a great job, in that (1) he was ready when called; (2) he knew his role; and (3) he filled that role well.

Sometimes, playing "great" is doing exactly what your role calls for you to do.

Capel said he had a great week of practice. The players after the game said he brought energy when he got out there.

Great game for Vrank. But Luke was clearly the MOTM by a wide margin over everyone else.

JNort
01-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Not an argument for Vrank but I usually vote for who played the best relative to expectations. I went with Luke this time cause the rest of the team played pretty poorly outside of Grayson who imo played average to my expectations for him as opposed to Luke who went a ltitle beyond.

Wander
01-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Not an argument for Vrank but I usually vote for who played the best relative to expectations.

Also voted for Luke, but just to add to this, there's no rule that says MOTM is equal to "best player in the game." Sometimes the metric I use is something like "What happened in this game that is most important to our long-term season goals?" So, for example, if an important player comes back from injury and plays well, I might vote for him even if he wasn't the best player in the game. Or maybe there's foul trouble and Jeter steps up and plays 15 minutes of good defense - maybe not the best player, but he shows he's ready to fill in during an emergency situation in the tournament.

jv001
01-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Then their are others that have their favorites and if it's close they vote for their favorite. We see it in the post game threads when their player get's a pat on the back and others get the negative or back handed compliments. I guess it's human nature. :cool:GoDuke!

gep
01-29-2017, 11:48 PM
All true, but there is something to be said for the way that Collins got rattled while Vrank was in, and Vrank goaded him into a foul as well. Even though Vrank wasn't on him during the final stretch, Collins didn't score during the final 5 minutes. I think that starts with Vrank pushing him out of his comfort zone, got him out of his groove (during which he was mind-bogglingly good) and he never got his groove back. I'm not advocating that he is MOTM for that, but i see that he did something valuable to the team that went beyond just the -2. He helped change the attitude of the game, from one in which Wake could do whatever it wanted to one, that eventually, couldn't do anything that it wanted.

Vrank did a great job, in that (1) he was ready when called; (2) he knew his role; and (3) he filled that role well.

Sometimes, playing "great" is doing exactly what your role calls for you to do.

Capel said he had a great week of practice. The players after the game said he brought energy when he got out there.

Great game for Vrank. But Luke was clearly the MOTM by a wide margin over everyone else.

I was hoping there would be a "Patrick Davidson" moment in this Wake Forest game... just like as happened before :cool:

wavedukefan70s
01-30-2017, 01:06 AM
The jedi....