PDA

View Full Version : Duke 85, Wake 83 post game thread

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
01-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Go Duke! Go Luke!

Doria
01-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Awesome comeback. Think we showed a lot of heart not to fold, and our defense was good (can't believe I just said that) for the last 2.5 minutes. Offense needs to run through Kennard and Grayson from now on.

DukieInKansas
01-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Not pretty but all Ws look alike in the Win column

kAzE
Return of the Jedi

OldPhiKap
How the hell did Teddy Valentine get back on the ACC ref list?!?!?

Brockt10
Guys, I wore my undefeated Singler jersey

heyman25
01-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Go Duke! Go Luke!
Hope this team will respond to this win against always difficult Notre Dame. Luke Kennard is our best player! Mr. Clutch Cool Hand Luke.

Wander
I don't relish this idea, but we should consider the elephant in the room: Was Tatum's 5th foul the most important play of the game?

DukieInKansas

All hail the jersey!

phaedrus
Anyone know if Luke Kennard is a good shooter?

weezie
01-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm exhausted...who's with me?!

Bluedog
That was a gut check win and COULD be season changing. We obviously have a lot of areas to improve, but that was the first game all season we showed that much heart during a game of a lot of adversity (refs calling garbage fouls, on the road, Grayson getting tackled) where they could have just wilted. LUKE!!

Doria

Thank you for your service!

fuse
I wasn't sure about if there was such a thing as a bad win before this game.
A steal for sure.

Luke remains our most important player.

Hard to watch.
Glad we won!

jv001
I thought for awhile that it was going to be another game with Wake where the starting five fouls out. What a great 2nd half. I like the way the offense went through Luke and Grayson for the most part. I knew we were in for a dog fight when I saw Teddy Valentine. He's a joke. Hoping for a good game against ND in which we have 2 good halves of basketball. Coach Capel did a very good job today. GoDuke!

weezie
01-28-2017, 05:37 PM

Yes, and who sweetly asked you to? WHO????

DukeFanSince1990
Never a doubt.

flyingdutchdevil
I want Capel to do one thing and one thing only: ask Allen. Jones, Tatum, and Giles whose team this is. If everyone doesn't say 'Kennard', then the whole team does suicides. Repeat process.

Chard
Most satisfying win I've watched in a while.

Tough, tough environment, fouls galore, emotional roller coaster, etc., etc. That was awesome.

Neals384
I hope team roles are now clarified:
1) Luke: score
2) Everyone else: pass the ball to Luke. Defend. Rebound. Don't foul.

fuse

Yup!

sagegrouse
Grand theft!!! Feels so good!!!

Doria
01-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Honestly, I thought Valentine had retired. Disappointed to see I was wrong.

kAzE
Kedsy/Newton_14 . . . you guys finally going to admit Luke is the best shooter on the team yet? :)

All joking aside, this team really showed some great composure in the 2nd half despite some pretty atrocious officiating. Harry Giles played really well defensively down the stretch too, so much so so that Amile wasn't even on the floor during crunch time. That's huge going forward.

burnspbesq
Some day we will play 40 minutes. Hopefully some day soon.

DukeWarhead
01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
1. The ACC is absolutely nuts this year. Tough nuts.
2. Luke is the bomb.
3. we still can't play defense.
4. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

DukieInBrasil
Luke's team!!!!

jv001
Hope this team will respond to this win against always difficult Notre Dame. Luke Kennard is our best player! Mr. Clutch Cool Hand Luke.

Luke is our best offensive player but we have some other good players. Luke was certainly on fire today. GoDuke!

weezie

Grayson's late three was crucial....

Duke was Lukey....

CDu

He is putting that discussion to bed I think. 46% on 111 attempts this year. Up to 37.3% on 284 3s in his career. All starting from a 2-17 start to his career.

Dukehky
Luke was incredible. I mean, freaking perfect except from the free throw line. Let's not overlook the job Harry did on the boards and on help defense wise in the closing minutes; he's getting better.

Also, not to be overlooked, Frank was our best point guard and it wasn't even close. He is starting to click at that position as well. Especially since he attacks so well.

Matt... I guess I'm glad he kept shooting?

Grayson showed some real cahones tonight. I was really impressed with him. Wake was going after him with literally everything they had. Refs gave him no help and to only get one BS technical and not foul out, while hitting the second biggest shot of the game, pretty incredible.

I wonder if GA will feel he can attack more again with K back... Like I said before, officials are allowing other teams to do literally whatever they can to bait him. Slapping him in the face, getting all in his face after every single play, I think that isn't allowed to go on with K on the bench.

Teddy Valentine can literally go suck an egg, or an egg plant, whatever he wants. That was atrociously officiated the entire game. Collins should have been out of the game way more in the second half on that BS call on Harry where he was literally jumped on.

I hope this is a turning point. I kinda feel bad for Tatum because he's not playing well offensively, but say what you will about the success of it, he's working his butt off on the glass and on defense.

Vrank played pretty well too, but if he was going to be physical with Collins, I would have liked to have seen it be a little... more physical so to say. Like Patrick Davidson physical, except more so.

magjayran
01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Luke decided to be selfish in the best way at the best time. But he's such a team player that he knew when to give it up and get that hockey assist. Maybe we don't start Tatum next game and stay with the lineup we had to close this one out?

WHOneedsSOX

I watched the final 2.5 minutes on the toilet. Guess I'll be watching from here from now on.

Skydog
I don't relish this idea, but we should consider the elephant in the room: Was Tatum's 5th foul the most important play of the game?

I really believe it was. We had some of our old early season chemistry (pre-freshmen returning from injury) after he went out. For the last few minutes we looked like Duke teams I'm used to - determined, tough and smart. Not like the team that was on the floor at crunch time vs NC State.

kAzE
Luke Kennard.

No poll.

SkyBrickey
Frank, Grayson, Luke, Amile and Harry need to start vs Notre Dame. So much better ball movement and shot selection with Tatum on the bench. He needs to sit and learn something watching the other guys play team ball and get good looks. The last 10 minutes our offense looked like it did in the games before Tatum came back from his injury. Coincidence?

DukieInKansas
01-28-2017, 05:42 PM
I watched the final 2.5 minutes on the toilet. Guess I'll be watching from here from now on.

Whatever it takes.

Brockt10

I always do my best work from the throne.

weezie
Well, I guess...but I still love Grayson, no matter what.

curtis325
01-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Now hold on just a minute.

I was looking forward to voting for...LUKE!!!!

Tappan Zee Devil

A case could be made for that

wallyman
!!!!!!!
Well played.

duke4ever19
01-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Someone's gonna vote for Jack White, I can feel it.

rthomas
9-0 run over the last 2 minutes!

ChrisP
Incredibly proud of the team today. Let's face it, many of us fans gave up on them at halftime or shortly thereafter but this team did not quit. They didn't quit in the face of some absolutely horrid officiating/home cookin' and they didn't quit or back down to some punkish actions by some WF players. They just kept hanging around and hanging around and (finally) followed the red-hot hand of one Luke Kennard! 30pts in the second half - are you kidding me???

Like another poster said, I am beginning to fear for Grayson's safety at this point (at least on the road). My gosh, has there EVER been another men's college b-ball player who has put up with this much abuse from not only opposing fans, but now announcers as well? I've never wished for a Duke player to go pro early, but I'm really kind of hoping Allen will move on after this season. Not because I don't love the kid - and would REALLY love to see him stay and continue to represent Duke, but because he literally gets picked on and over-analyzed 24/7!

Anyway, gonna enjoy this win, BIGLY :cool: LEt's go Duke!

grossbus
01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
For a maligned D, two huge stops in the last minute.

Turk
1. The ACC is absolutely nuts this year. Tough nuts.
2. Luke is the bomb.
3. we still can't play defense.
4. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

5. "And never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line...."

ipatent
They often hit the wall in January, and ACC road games are usually an adventure. Fifteen turnovers hurt. The team isn't going to get a performance like that from Kennard every game. He looked like Vince Taylor circa 1982 out there at times. They need more from Tatum, Giles, Jackson and Bolden. The defense and ball movement need to improve as well.

Better than a loss, though, and clutch play at the end will inspire confidence.

Channing
Moonpie: "We're gonna win"

I was as negative as I have been in a long time watching that game. Like just yoked us to his back and pressed forward. That was impressive. After how NCSt ended was great to see late game execution

devildeac

Somebody could also vote for a certain player on the bench during the comeback, too. :o

moonpie23
ummm....i'll take LUKE, please, for $500

CatDevil
01-28-2017, 05:46 PM
I thought Moonpie was an option!!!

devildeac
01-28-2017, 05:47 PM
How the hell did Teddy Valentine get back on the ACC ref list?!?!?

Compromising photos w/the commish?

grossbus
Works for me.

fisheyes
I thought Moonpie was an option!!!

Beat me to it!

Moonpie with the assist on Chat!

fuse
I thought Vrank played well in limited minutes, as did Bolden.
What I don't have insight to understand is why Vrank got minutes with Bolden available to play.

AvlDukie
What a fantastic, unexpected comeback for a really important gut check victory!
Really appreciate the minutes Vrank gave us in the second half, and love the way Grayson is battling through so much adversity.
And Luke? Well - he is indeed The Man on this Duke team.
Agree with others that Tatum should come off the bench.
Nice adjustments by Coach Capel also.

Dukehky
01-28-2017, 05:48 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/grayson-allen-fight-wake-forest-duke-bryant-crawford-brandon-childress/onkew81ztph919bs0hr9bjizd?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

and it begins. What a freaking joke. If you read the article, don't. Don't give it any hits, it says that the guy grabbed him.

moonpie23
01-28-2017, 05:49 PM
i saved this for everyone....

we're gonna win this game......

y'all can copy/paste that thing to your hearts content..... royalty free..........enjoy

jv001
What I don't have insight to understand is why Vrank got minutes with Bolden available to play.

Vrank may have won the minutes with his practice time this week. I thought he played well and looked to be sure of himself. GoDuke!

curtis325

Too soon to say. Small sample size.

(sarcasm)

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Yeah. Tatum wore me out! 😈

wjuns7
01-28-2017, 05:50 PM
I think it's pretty clear that the pre-frosh-return-from-injury lineup that we used against Kansas (i.e., Frank, Luke, Grayson, Matt, Amile) should be our starting lineup/lineup that's used most often. This is the lineup that's shown the most heart, willingness to do whatever it takes, and, for lack of a better word, balls that we need to get this season back on track.

Amile/Harry/Marques can be interchanged--Harry and Marques are getting better slowly but surely, and Harry was legit today. We can bring Jayson in off the bench for some scoring punch when necessary. Also want to point out that Jayson's face was GREAT on the bench--genuinely happy for his teammates when we started making the big plays. Jayson definitely has a bit of a hero-ball mentality, but I definitely don't think this is anything personal amongst the boys as some folks have hypothesized in other threads.

FANTASTIC WIN TODAY. Not sure how good these kinds of games are for our collective mental/physical/emotional/spiritual well-beings, but I'll take it any day of the week.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 05:51 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/grayson-allen-fight-wake-forest-duke-bryant-crawford-brandon-childress/onkew81ztph919bs0hr9bjizd?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

and it begins. What a freaking joke. If you read the article, don't. Don't give it any hits, it says that the guy grabbed him.

Well that is definitely a work of fiction.

devildeac
All Grayson's fault. He jumped into that guys arms and then fell to the floor.

DukieInBrasil

maybe he felt like Bolden didn't give enough energy or value his first go round. Or tactically thought that he could burn thru Vrank's 5 fouls before turning to Bolden.

grossbus
Predict ESPN spends more time on Grayson than Luke or the win.

mgtr
01-28-2017, 05:53 PM
If we start calling Allen "Bo," then we would have Bo and Luke Duke!

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Grayson's late three was crucial...

Duke was Lukey...

I think that Grayson is physically limited. He does not even try to drive. Something is going on.

TKG
01-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Still waiting for Skip to move his Cheats' double digit loss to an unranked team to the front page of ESPN.com.

Ballboy1998
01-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Whenever I see a shooting stat of 100%, like Luke from three in this one, I think "he didn't take enough shots!" I still think Luke can be a real defensive liability at times, but what he has done from the offensive end throughout this season has been truly amazing. His second half offensive performance was transcendent.

This team still has a lot of holes to figure out, but hopefully this gives them something to build on. Sadly, I'm not sure having to handle ND's offense is the way for our defense to build momentum, but so be it.

Go Duke!

wavedukefan70s
If we start calling Allen "Bo," then we would have Bo and Luke Duke!

Who is daisy?thats the real question?😉

Duke 81 LA
A case could be made for that

Devils outscored Wake 20-8 after Tatum's fifth foul

Coincidence I think not

TKG
01-28-2017, 05:58 PM
JT needs to come off the bench. Let him get the feel for the game by watching. He is talented but is still trying to figure out how to fit into a team concept.

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2017, 05:58 PM
i thought Giles played reasonably well. He was definitely not getting equal treatment by the refs. Maybe he should start instead of Tatum next game.
I'm concerned that Amile is not 100%, and we've got a fast turnaround to a home game vs. Notre Dame.

MChambers
01-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Whenever I see a shooting stat of 100%, like Luke from three in this one, I think "he didn't take enough shots!" I still think Luke can be a real defensive liability at times, but what he has done from the offensive end throughout this season has been truly amazing. His second half offensive performance was transcendent.

This team still has a lot of holes to figure out, but hopefully this gives them something to build on. Sadly, I'm not sure having to handle ND's offense is the way for our defense to build momentum, but so be it.

Go Duke!
Interestingly, Wake's offense has a higher Pomeroy rating than Norte Dame's. I would not have thought that, in any season.

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2017, 06:01 PM
I think that Grayson is physically limited. He does not even try to drive. Something is going on.

yeah, that fast brake he had where he was 1on1 in the lane and decided to pass back out for a 3, and it got stolen. I was really surprised that he didn't even try to go to the rim and draw contact. Maybe he knew that he might get clobbered without a foul called.

Skydog
01-28-2017, 06:02 PM
I think it's pretty clear that the pre-frosh-return-from-injury lineup that we used against Kansas (i.e., Frank, Luke, Grayson, Matt, Amile) should be our starting lineup/lineup that's used most often. This is the lineup that's shown the most heart, willingness to do whatever it takes, and, for lack of a better word, balls that we need to get this season back on track.

Amile/Harry/Marques can be interchanged--Harry and Marques are getting better slowly but surely, and Harry was legit today. We can bring Jayson in off the bench for some scoring punch when necessary. Also want to point out that Jayson's face was GREAT on the bench--genuinely happy for his teammates when we started making the big plays. Jayson definitely has a bit of a hero-ball mentality, but I definitely don't think this is anything personal amongst the boys as some folks have hypothesized in other threads.

FANTASTIC WIN TODAY. Not sure how good these kinds of games are for our collective mental/physical/emotional/spiritual well-beings, but I'll take it any day of the week.

Agree completely. I actually think we ended up with the perfect mix of players at the end of the game. Amile wasn't effective - only 3 rebounds in 20 min - so I was happy to see Giles in at the end.

Bluedevil114
01-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Wow. 53 points in the second half. Offense needs to go through Luke. Tatum frustrates me as he stops the offensive flow. That was a garbage call on Allen. He did nothing wrong. All the announcers is was blame him for going after a rebound. Ridiculous.

mattman91
01-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Well...looks like I'm keeping my hair. Thanks Luke!

Furniture
01-28-2017, 06:05 PM
I am not into blaming anyone. Duke got close from good play several times during the second half with Tatum. Tatum took 6 shots. How is he killing us? Jayson was 2 from six. Matt 1 from 10. I love Matt!

jv001
01-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Wow. 53 points in the second half. Offense needs to go through Luke. Tatum frustrates me as he stops the offensive flow. That was a garbage call on Allen. He did nothing wrong. All the announcers is was blame him for going after a rebound. Ridiculous.

Jayson does stop the offensive flow at times. It was clear to me that Coach Capel was yelling "move the ball" to him after one offensive set. GoDuke!

Skydog
01-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Who is daisy?thats the real question?😉

I used to live across the street from Daisy. One day she offered to help teach my son to ride a bike. I was happy to watch her help! :)

CoachJ10
01-28-2017, 06:07 PM
In the expansion era, the ACC has never been stronger from top to bottom. There are some quality players and quality coaches in this league, no doubt. The challenges of our season need to be seen in this context.

Wake played great today. They obviously were aided in their efforts by the refs (Valentine's crew should never ref another ACC game again), but they played the game they wanted and made plays.

But we are Duke. We get everyone's best shot. And today, for the first time this season...we made some plays down the stretch.

Next play. But dont forget this feeling.

Philsfan
01-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Great shot, kid! That was one in a million!

CDu
01-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Worth noting that the stretch run was made with Giles and not Jefferson on the floor. Hopefully that is a confidence boost for the kid. Not complaining about Jefferson (he is critical), just hoping that a positive moment for Giles gets him going.

mgtr
01-28-2017, 06:12 PM
I used to live across the street from Daisy. One day she offered to help teach my son to ride a bike. I was happy to watch her help! :)

I assume you followed a Love My Neighbor policy!

Newton_14
01-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Incredibly proud of the team today. Let's face it, many of us fans gave up on them at halftime or shortly thereafter but this team did not quit. They didn't quit in the face of some absolutely horrid officiating/home cookin' and they didn't quit or back down to some punkish actions by some WF players. They just kept hanging around and hanging around and (finally) followed the red-hot hand of one Luke Kennard! 30pts in the second half - are you kidding me???

Like another poster said, I am beginning to fear for Grayson's safety at this point (at least on the road). My gosh, has there EVER been another men's college b-ball player who has put up with this much abuse from not only opposing fans, but now announcers as well? I've never wished for a Duke player to go pro early, but I'm really kind of hoping Allen will move on after this season. Not because I don't love the kid - and would REALLY love to see him stay and continue to represent Duke, but because he literally gets picked on and over-analyzed 24/7!

Anyway, gonna enjoy this win, BIGLY :cool: LEt's go Duke!

Can you imagine what would have happened had Grayson walked into the middle of the Wake bench, grabbed Childress and thrown him down into a chair? He would have been thrown out of the game and the entire world would have screamed that he should be banned forever from College Hoops. That was ridiculous including how G-Man and Brando made very little of it. Unreal.

What a comeback. Very similar to the Gone in 60 seconds comeback actually, minus Wake choking on FT's like the Twerps did. After stinking the joint up most of the game and being left for dead near the end, Kennard pulls a Jason Williams and just goes off on Wake. I think my heart rate spiked at about 150 when that shot went in. Kudos to Grayson too for knocking the 3 down that closed it to a 1 point Wake lead.

The last 10 minutes or so were Duke Basketball. The first 30? not so much.

Great comeback, great win! Let's hope this shocks them back to life.

CatDevil
01-28-2017, 06:13 PM
i saved this for everyone...

we're gonna win this game...

y'all can copy/paste that thing to your hearts content... royalty free...enjoy

I Believe!!! Weezie stuck with the team too!!

I am grateful you began the posts during chat...it had become very negative. The kid and I smiled every time you hit it

wsb3
01-28-2017, 06:18 PM

God bless you...

BD80
Not pretty but all Ws look alike in the Win column

No room for pictures on the scorecard

This could be the crux of the team's chemistry issues, we're still working out the roles ...

Kedsy/Newton_14 . . . you guys finally going to admit Luke is the best shooter on the team yet? :) ...

It is NOT Matt

OK, we have room for some pictures ...

NYBri

I thought the same thing.

To expand on this, the poor play this season seems to have begun while the team transitioned from the offense going through Grayson/Luke to going through Jayson.

Just sayin'.

MaxAMillion

I actually thought Vrank looked better. You probably have chemistry issues if he takes Bolden's minutes, but I actually see a future for Vrank this year and beyond with the team. I never would have believed it at the beginning of the year.

FadedTackyShirt
01-28-2017, 06:19 PM
-Luke to the rescue!
-Good mins from Vrank
-Grayson needs to follow Deshaun Watson to the pros, both get tackled with the same frequency.
-3 crappy halves and 3 solid halves in the last 3 games. One solid 40 min effort would be nice.
-Like Giles, but way too yappy today.
-Had to rip Wake's heart out: gagged on a winnable game and played like punks, spurned hometown recruit played well.

wsb3
01-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Uh, No weezie...I mean just because I am having my first cold beer of the year..(Worry about calories & Holiday gained weight tomorrow)

Skydog
01-28-2017, 06:23 PM
I assume you followed a Love My Neighbor policy!
I discussed it with my wife - she selfishly didn't approve.

CoachJ10
01-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Capel is getting no respects from the ACC refs. It is very insulting and frustrating to see.

wsb3
01-28-2017, 06:24 PM

thank God my beer was empty..keyboards soaked with spewed beer...not good..

jwillfan
01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
I know we'll get our usual great breakdown from folks like Troublemaker regarding ice vs hedge and zone but I noticed one thing I'm interested to hear if anyone else did - when Vrank was in it looked to me like a real pick and roll play where he rolled hard to the basket when a Wake defender jumped out on Kennard and was rewarded with a pass and easy dunk or layup. Seems like our post offense is non-existent. I was yelling at the TV when Amile was in the low block being guarded by a guard (Wilbekin?) and had a mismatch and no one was seeing him. G-man even commented on it.

MaxAMillion
01-28-2017, 06:28 PM

That is probably some recency bias. After the Miami game ther were post saying the 2nd half lineup should be the starting unit going forward. I think there needs to be some acceptance of the fact that this team is still trying to find itself. Players will have good and bad games and lineups will be fluid. I think people will be a lot less frustrated if they understand that there will be highs and lows as the team works to get better. Heck they could easily get run off the floor against ND regardless of who plays.

YmoBeThere
01-28-2017, 06:30 PM

Nope, the big man and his 4 fouls got my vote. Plus, did you see that dunk? :rolleyes:

Brockt10
01-28-2017, 06:31 PM
God bless you...

You are all welcome. Do I get a ring this year too?

KandG
01-28-2017, 06:36 PM
What a steal. Thought the team looked DOA in the first half and was as lost and clueless as they've ever been, and the (ridiculously) quick whistles didn't help. Second half was obviously a different story.

There will be some carping over the turnovers (too many for sure), but I thought many of them came out of a better attempt to move the ball around. Grayson, Matt and Luke were all skipping the ball around and trying to find shooters and drivers on the wings when we didn't have anything inside, rather than settling for jumpers (though there was bit of that early as well). 18 assists on 28 made field goals in this afternoon's game is a vast improvement on our previous ACC road games, where we had 26 assists TOTAL in three games on 73 made field goals.

Interesting footnote to the assist numbers: We outscored Wake 20-10 in the final six minutes, and 17 of those 20 points were assisted (3 Kennard three pointers and a two pointer, a Matt Jones 3 and a Grayson Allen 3). All that happened after Tatum fouled out with under 7 minutes left.

I'm on record as not being on board with Luke as a point guard, but thought he did a very good job with his playmaking and using Vrank as a screener in the second half with everyone else in foul trouble. Though Wake's defense is quite bad (not sure better teams will allow Luke that much space), I'm now more on board with the ball moving between Grayson, Luke and Frank as hubs for the offense. Thought Frank made some strides today -- I almost fell out of my chair when he actually kicked the ball out after putting his head down for a drive early, and he had no turnovers in 24 minutes while all the starters were throwing the ball away.

As noted above, refs were way too loose with the whistle, but our team still has issues trying to defend without fouling. In all our road games and the home game vs Miami, we got into the bonus with 11 or 12 minutes of play left in the first half. That's a big part of why our defense isn't near where it needs to be. We either decide to stop providing resistance altogether, or like today, get everyone into foul trouble. In fairness to players like Jayson and Harry, they were victimized really badly by some questionable whistles -- Jayson actually turned away from the defender on one Wake drive and still got called for the foul.

Big minutes for Vrankovic -- I just loved his screen setting and his willingness to be physical with Collins. Harry continues to improve gradually: first half was more of the usual mistakes on defense (he recovers better now after hedges, but doesn't cut off lanes to the basket when the pass is thrown to his man), but the second half he was tougher and springier around the basket. Interesting that he got minutes over Amile at the end of the game.

The Grayson Allen drama has reached comical levels now...I'm just waiting for footage to surface where he starts fights that break out in the stands (just by looking toward the stands) and gets held responsible for objects being thrown onto the court. In all seriousness, I'm OK with him showing some fire on the court and otherwise walking away from obvious attempts to provoke him. Today I thought he was much better at combining passionate play with some composure.

We somehow survived Matt missing 7 of 8 threes, Jayson with one of his worst games yet (clearly rattled by the foul trouble), and Luke missing the front end of two one-and-ones (that I was sure would end up costing us the game).

Loved the postgame interview with Luke: just so hyped in answering the questions from Brando and G-Man. The pride he showed in the comeback and wanting to prove his team worthy of the Duke name gave me chills.

Neals384
01-28-2017, 06:36 PM

Glad you took one for the team...so to speak.

bluedev_92
01-28-2017, 06:39 PM
What a comeback. Everything going against them. Refs were horrible. Really liked Vrank's minutes. Incredible display by Kennard in 2nd half & Grayson kept them in it along the way...

Kfanarmy
01-28-2017, 06:57 PM

Why post something and tell people not to read it? Seriously?

Kfanarmy
01-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Was it Childress that threw Allen into his chair on the Duke bench? He should be suspended.

Dukehky
01-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Why post something and tell people not to read it? Seriously?

I didn't want to just say that someone else had said it and not allow people to see for themselves if they wanted to.

TruBlu
01-28-2017, 07:05 PM
This could be a great building block for the rest of the season. Very happy for the win. Great game by Luke. Proud of Grayson for his composure (except for verbally replying to the Wake player and getting the technical).

I would have felt sorry for Wake for having lost this game. But I don't, because of their thuggish behavior.

And a suggestion for Swofford and the ACC: Open the Greensboro Coliseum. Put your refs out there, with no basketball teams. Just have the refs blow their whistles every 30 seconds, and find out how many fans come to see them. Teddy Valentine is not the attraction, regardless of what Teddy thinks.

DrChainsaw
01-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Was it Childress that threw Allen into his chair on the Duke bench? He should be suspended.

Not holding my breath (although I did for the last 1:30 of the game).

Furniture
01-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Jay Williams said that his Kentucky and Kansas halftime headline would be the great win by Duke. Luke Kennard and Grayson Allens composure in all that chaos!!

Channing
01-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Just out of curiosity can someone explain what happened with Luke and personal fouls

WVDUKEFAN
01-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Great win. We're still growing. At least there was some defense in the second half. I'm watching Kansas and Kentucky right now. All I can say is that Giles, Bolden, Tatum and Jefferson better learn to run end to end like these kids if they want to compete in March.

dbcooper
01-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Kudos to Grayson, every team they play now has antics and in some cases it seems to try to get in his head. well done today Mr. Allen for not retaliating when you were slammed on to your own bench and players. I know that was very hard to do and a classy move. Well done young man!!

Great win today, heart, grit, and maturity in the last 10 mins.

Do Duke!

duketaylor
01-28-2017, 07:17 PM
I can't figure out why Grayson was called for a T when he was pulled down when simply trying to leave "a situation" as he only tried to save the ball.
I was about to call the ACC office to complain about the absurd officiating. Pathetic and that's prolly not strong enough.

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Just out of curiosity can someone explain what happened with Luke and personal fouls

I think the TV guys got the count wrong - said 4 when it was 3.

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:18 PM
I'll just say it . . . we're a better team when Jayson Tatum isn't on the floor right now. There's no question he's maybe the most talented player on the team, but he's Carmelo Anthony when it comes to ball movement and floor spacing . . .

It's not something that can't be fixed, but it was obvious in this game how much better we were offensively after he left the game.

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:19 PM

One of his fouls was corrected to be on Amile instead.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 07:20 PM
I can't figure out why Grayson was called for a T when he was pulled down when simply trying to leave "a situation" as he only tried to save the ball.
I was about to call the ACC office to complain about the absurd officiating. Pathetic and that's prolly not strong enough.

He got a technical earlier for a verbal altercation. On that out of bounds play I am pretty sure he only got a personal. Childress got the T.

Bluedog
01-28-2017, 07:21 PM

He wasn't called for a T. Just a personal foul before the situation. Only Wake got the T. But because of the foul before, Wake still got to shoot FTs. The commentators were kinda clueless about it and ESPN has an incorrect headline immediately after (which was later corrected...to say "Allen got a T earlier in game").

CDu

He wasn't called for a technical in that skirmish. He got called for a foul prior to the skirmish and Childress got the tech.

Newton_14
Just out of curiosity can someone explain what happened with Luke and personal fouls He never had 4 fouls. The announcers did not pay enough attention and credited Luke with two fouls that were called on others. Luke only had 2 fouls when they were saying he had 4. They finally figured it out late in the game.

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:22 PM
He got a technical earlier for a verbal altercation. On that out of bounds play I am pretty sure only got a personal. Childress got the T.

The announcers incorrectly said that the Wake Forest player shooting double bonus free throws was shooting technical free throws, so they added to the confusion.

dbcooper
01-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Agree 10000 % ...I re-watched this play several times and could never see anything that Grayson or our bench did to receive a Technical Foul... WTF???? It was never explained by Brando and G-Man.

Go Duke!

CDu
01-28-2017, 07:26 PM
I think the TV guys got the count wrong - said 4 when it was 3.

He never had 4 fouls. The announcers did not pay enough attention and credited Luke with two fouls that were called on others. Luke only had 2 fouls when they were saying he had 4. They finally figured it out late in the game.

Correct. The announcers repeatedly noted that they had awful seats. They were constantly guessing on plays. Including...

The announcers incorrectly said that the Wake Forest player shooting double bonus free throws was shooting technical free throws, so they added to the confusion.

Yup. Allen had a common foul, then in the dead-ball situation Childress got a tech.

Wake was in the double bonus, but since the tech happened the result was an uncontested two free throws for Crawford, then Kennard shot the techs, then Duke's ball.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 07:26 PM

I didn't hear that but Brando was confused a lot in that game. Multiple times I heard him identify incorrect players, Giles and Jefferson as well as Tatum and Jackson. My husband went to Wake and said the announcers are pretty far from the court. But I imagine they have monitors?

NashvilleDevil
01-28-2017, 07:37 PM
Duke wins and UNC loses. What a great day!

-jk
01-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Correct. The announcers repeatedly noted that they had awful seats. They were constantly guessing on plays. Including...

Yup. Allen had a common foul, then in the dead-ball situation Childress got a tech.

Wake was in the double bonus, but since the tech happened the result was an uncontested two free throws for Crawford, then Kennard shot the techs, then Duke's ball.

I think Grayson got an intentional (not common) foul for the arm grab with no chance to play the ball (which was 20' away at the time).

-jk

CDu
01-28-2017, 07:49 PM
I think Grayson got an intentional (not common) foul for the arm grab with no chance to play the ball (which was 20' away at the time).

-jk

I don't think that is correct. That type of foul happens all the time. The foul allowed Allen a chance to get to the ball. It was a common foul.

And neither GoDuke nor ESPN suggest it as anything but a common foul.

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Fantastic game by Luke! Last year his 30 point game against ND was followed 2 days later by 0 points against Syracuse. I think that he's vastly improved over last year and I certainly don't expect that dramatic a drop in his production on Monday, but ND's VJ Beachum had a 30+ point game this year followed by 3 points the next game so it must be hard to stay anywhere close to that ethereal a level.

gofurman
01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
I know we'll get our usual great breakdown from folks like Troublemaker regarding ice vs hedge and zone but I noticed one thing I'm interested to hear if anyone else did - when Vrank was in it looked to me like a real pick and roll play where he rolled hard to the basket when a Wake defender jumped out on Kennard and was rewarded with a pass and easy dunk or layup. Seems like our post offense is non-existent. I was yelling at the TV when Amile was in the low block being guarded by a guard (Wilbekin?) and had a mismatch and no one was seeing him. G-man even commented on it.

This. My whole thread about no Amile or interior offense. We need to feed the post some. Give Giles and Amile a chance to earn space for the shooters. It's much easier to keep Luke and Grayson open when an opponent has to respect the inside game at least a little.
PLEASE feed Amile or Harry just a few times

kAzE
01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
We took a huge step in the right direction in the 2nd half of this game. If we keep playing like the team we were in the 2nd half of this one, we're going do some good things the rest of the season.

This win is huge for morale. Notre Dame coming up. The very real risk of losing 5 out of 6 games. Instead, we got our first road win of the season. It's starting to look like we've finally turned the corner.

JNort
01-28-2017, 08:06 PM
What time do they usually put up the full game replay on goduke? Had to work and really wanna watch.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 08:06 PM
I had the first rumblings in my stomach when early on we committed a lane violation on the first shot of a two shot foul.

Glad we didn't lose by a point. :cool:

Luke brought us back.

AFL
01-28-2017, 08:07 PM

I will second that!

NYBri
01-28-2017, 08:07 PM
What time do they usually put up the full game replay on goduke? Had to work and really wanna watch.

Just watch the last 2:30.

hsheffield
01-28-2017, 08:13 PM
He got a technical earlier for a verbal altercation. On that out of bounds play I am pretty sure he only got a personal. Childress got the T.

at around 12:45 in the second half, #13 for Wake LOWERS HIS SHOULDER and plows into GA who hits the floor.

the worst refs in a long time call a BLOCK.

please tell me what I missed? Could it have actually been a block?

I try not to terp about refs but IMO this kind of BS call contributes to the players getting chippy and the game getting dangerous. It doesn't seem ok to reward a player w/ FTs for acting like a charging bull.....

is my contempt for Valentine showing?

duketaylor
01-28-2017, 08:15 PM
I commented while watching with a friend (VCU grad and knowledgeable b-ball person) that Duke didn't even get the ball inside at all and settled for 3s almost the entire game. I saw very little of Amile in the 2nd half, if any. We've got to develop an inside-out game. Cannot rely just on 3s. Recipe for failure, IMO. Still lots of
work to do. Giving up an average of over 77 pts. per game in ACC play, and when you take out the 57 and 58 points in two of those, it's 84-way too many.

duke4ever19
01-28-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm watching the KU vs. UK game. About 2:30 left in the second half, and Kentucky still had a foul to give. Must be nice.

JNort
01-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Never mind, it's already up. My phone was just acting silly.

NashvilleDevil
01-28-2017, 08:27 PM
at around 12:45 in the second half, #13 for Wake LOWERS HIS SHOULDER and plows into GA who hits the floor.

I try not to terp about refs but IMO this kind of BS call contributes to the players getting chippy and the game getting dangerous. It doesn't seem ok to reward a player w/ FTs for acting like a charging bull....

No. TV Teddy is the worst.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 08:30 PM

I try not to terp about refs but IMO this kind of BS call contributes to the players getting chippy and the game getting dangerous. It doesn't seem ok to reward a player w/ FTs for acting like a charging bull...

I think the call could have gone either way. However, since it involved Allen I knew when I heard the whistle it was going to be a block. Valentine is terrible for sure.

The refs seem to be allowing other players to be rough with Allen and they rarely blow the whistle. In my opinion they are putting GA in a situation where he could get hurt. Allen made some very bad choices by intentionally tripping opponents and deserves to have the refs watch him closely. However, he doesn't deserve to have them turn a blind eye when players foul him.

MartyClark
01-28-2017, 08:31 PM
I watched the first half and then had to leave for a birthday party. I internally debated whether to even DVR the 2nd half but did. I was so certain of a Duke loss that I looked at the score, on DBR, before watching the 2nd half. I was shocked to see Duke had won.

While watching the 2nd half, I had considerable doubts about the outcome and even wondered, at one point, if this was a cruel DBR hoax. This is the only time I have known the result and still enjoyed watching the game.

This was a gutty, maybe lucky, win. Luke was great.

Grayson is going to be hurt if the refs and ACC allow this type of stuff to continue. Childress should be suspended for a game. I'm not sure he was trying to hurt Grayson but Childress should not be allowed to grab an opposing player and throw him down. Somebody needs to make a statement that this stuff is not allowed.

Go Duke. I hope this sparks a resurgence.

miramar
01-28-2017, 08:32 PM
"And Vrankovic picks up his fourth foul."

However, I would have expected this one:

"And Grayson Allen is body slammed to the floor during a dead ball situation! Man, that's way worse than a trip! Definitely deserves a five-game suspension from the ACC."

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I think the call could have gone either way. However, since it involved Allen I knew when I heard the whistle it was going to be a block. Valentine is terrible for sure.

The refs seem to be allowing other players to be rough with Allen and they rarely blow the whistle. In my opinion they are putting GA in a situation where he could get hurt. Allen made some very bad choices by intentionally tripping opponents and deserves to have the refs watch him closely. However, he doesn't deserve to have them turn a blind eye when players foul him.

I thought it was a pretty clear charge. Wake player lowered his shoulder. That always gets called when a post guy does it.

Also annoying that it wasn't just a T on Grayson; it was a double tech (one on Wake, too), and from the stands it looked like the Wake player started it by getting in Allen 's face.

In fact, both NCSU and Wake have made concerted efforts to be overly physical and chatty with Allen. Get used to it; that's the scouting report now.

Dukeford
01-28-2017, 08:50 PM
ected this one:

"And Grayson Allen is body slammed to the floor during a dead ball situation! Man, that's way worse than a trip! Definitely deserves a five-game suspension from the ACC."

I have re-watched the incident several times now. And as odd as Childress' actions were, I honestly don't think he intended malice. His facial expression and body language do not indicate that. It's almost like he was trying to stop something before it happened. Is it possible that he and Grayson are friends or something?

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 08:58 PM
I thought it was a pretty clear charge. Wake player lowered his shoulder. That always gets called when a post guy does it.

Also annoying that it wasn't just a T on Grayson; it was a double tech (one on Wake, too), and from the stands it looked like the Wake player started it by getting in Allen 's face.

In fact, both NCSU and Wake have made concerted efforts to be overly physical and chatty with Allen. Get used to it; that's the scouting report now.

Yeah it was definitely started by the Wake player. If Allen hadn't woofed back I think that would have been the end of it. I am guessing Valentine and crew would have been happy to ignore the initial taunting.

You are absolutely right about the scouting report. Opposing teams want to get in GA's head. But why are the refs OK with it?

killerleft
01-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Great win. We're still growing. At least there was some defense in the second half. I'm watching Kansas and Kentucky right now. All I can say is that Giles, Bolden, Tatum and Jefferson better learn to run end to end like these kids if they want to compete in March.

Nope. Let's let Master K formulate a plan where we don't have to. He's always been pretty good at stuff like that. I'm still thinkin' we'll learn the art of defense somewhere along the way. We've done that, too.

BandAlum83
01-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Can you imagine what would have happened had Grayson walked into the middle of the Wake bench, grabbed Childress and thrown him down into a chair? He would have been thrown out of the game and the entire world would have screamed that he should be banned forever from College Hoops. That was ridiculous including how G-Man and Brando made very little of it. Unreal.

What a comeback. Very similar to the Gone in 60 seconds comeback actually, minus Wake choking on FT's like the Twerps did. After stinking the joint up most of the game and being left for dead near the end, Kennard pulls a Jason Williams and just goes off on Wake. I think my heart rate spiked at about 150 when that shot went in. Kudos to Grayson too for knocking the 3 down that closed it to a 1 point Wake lead.

The last 10 minutes or so were Duke Basketball. The first 30? not so much.

Great comeback, great win! Let's hope this shocks them back to life.

Is that what happened? I thoguht it was the end-of-benchers of Duke getiing in between and trying to protect Grayson. He was calm and not reacting to Childress, but seemed to get upset when the team rallied to him. I think they were afraid something would happen, but I was encouraged to see them all come to his aid.

Atldukie79
01-28-2017, 09:18 PM
All time performance by Luke.
Gutty comeback by the team.
Grayson wavered on his new steely resolve, but ultimately kept his cool.

Neither Tatum nor Giles know how to play defense. They get beaten on drives, they don't rotate, they are mince meat on fast break defense.
I see some progress, but remain frustrated by their lack of awareness and anticipation.

30 fouls on Duke, 20 on Wake...hmmmmm.

Tatum fouout call was questionable. I believe the ball hit the Wake defender. And the ball was in tight against his chest when he brought it through.

Nonetheless, this could be the turning point in the season if we follow up with a win against ND.

MaxAMillion
01-28-2017, 09:19 PM

I try not to terp about refs but IMO this kind of BS call contributes to the players getting chippy and the game getting dangerous. It doesn't seem ok to reward a player w/ FTs for acting like a charging bull....

Is that the call where Allen got the Technical? If so, I thought that was a block. Grayson never got in front of him. You can lower your shoulder if you are trying to get around a defender if that defender does not have position. I thought the foul calls on Allen were legit. The refs just did not appear to call it the same way on both ends. The fourth foul call on Giles was the one that I thought was ridiculous. Glad to see the team could play through it.

MaxAMillion
01-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Is that what happened? I thoguht it was the end-of-benchers of Duke getiing in between and trying to protect Grayson. He was calm and not reacting to Childress, but seemed to get upset when the team rallied to him. I think they were afraid something would happen, but I was encouraged to see them all come to his aid.

Nope, the Wake players puts both arms around him and throws him into the seats. What is funny is the comment on ESPN afterwards was that Allen did nothing wrong on that play. No comment on the Wake player throwing him into the chairs. I give Allen great credit for playing like he is with all this nonsense going on. It is a lot for one player to handle. This is one area where I can't wait for K to come back. He always defends his players publicly, even if he takes crap for it. I believe he would have brought up Allen getting thrown around. K got grief for his comments after the Oregon game, but I for one appreciated them. Always defend Duke and your program while pointing out the other teams poor behavior (considering the entire sports world is against you).

CDu
01-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Nope, Childress definitely bear-hugged Allen and threw him into the bench. That is what caused the whole thing. Allen and Crawford were fine before that.

dukelifer
01-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Duke just lost a game they should have won and today they won a game that they should have lost. The main positive from the game is the team trusting Luke to be the man in the clutch. He likes the big moment and usually delivers. Duke clearly still hasn't figured it out but winning usually helps a team. Liked the minutes Vrank gave Duke. He is solid and I hope he continue to see time. Fortunate to come out with the win but credit Luke with a fantastic second half.

accfanfrom1970
01-28-2017, 09:39 PM
To me it is simple....,jimmy chitwood simple. Every time
on offense Luke needs to touch the ball, every time.
We don't shoot, we wait, work the ball, and make sure Luke touches the ball every time down the court. He doesn't have to
shoot, he just has to be involved in the O. Every time down....

tux
01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Nope, Childress definitely bear-hugged Allen and threw him into the bench. That is what caused the whole thing. Allen and Crawford were fine before that.

I can't help but wonder what tonight would be like if Grayson had thrown one of Wake's players into their bench? The announcers just sort of acknowledged that Childress grabbed Allen, but it was almost like "big deal, let's move on..."

killerleft
01-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Neither Tatum nor Giles know how to play defense. They get beaten on drives, they don't rotate, they are mince meat on fast break defense.
I see some progress, but remain frustrated by their lack of awareness and anticipation.

Tatum fouout call was questionable. I believe the ball hit the Wake defender. And the ball was in tight against his chest when he brought it through.

Nonetheless, this could be the turning point in the season if we follow up with a win against ND.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Saratoga2
01-28-2017, 09:45 PM
What I and others recommended coming into the game is that either Grayson or Frank bring the ball into the front court and make sure that Luke touches the ball on every possession that is not a fast break. He is our best play maker and also as we have seen will score efficiency in a number of ways. We saw more of this approach in the second half and it worked well, especially since Luke shot incredibly well.

Another point that was made before the game and also recognized in this thread is we need to feed the post and get and inside game going to make the inside out opportunities that add versatility to our offense. I think we have two guys inside that pose a scoring threat. Both Amile and Harry have the moves and touch inside to pose a threat.

Lets stop bashing Jayson. There were repetitive suggestions that we have a better team if he is on the bench. In fact, he is an 18 year old with limited PT and experience. He has excellent skills and size and in my estimation he is a valuable player for us. Like other players, he should be coached to have Luke touch the ball at least once on every play.

We also shouldn't forget that Grayson can be a very effective scorer in his own right. We want to keep the offense versatile since the obvious defense of Duke is to shut Luke down as much as possible.

Turk
01-28-2017, 09:50 PM

Put me in the wishy-washy "either way" camp on the Grayson block / charge. Yes, Crawford lowered his shoulder but I'm not sure Grayson beat him to the spot first. I could live with that - it was Grayson's third foul.

What drove me nuts was the aftermath. It looked like Crawford starts jawing, Grayson responds, but no one really gets chest to chest. The quick-trigger double T on both Crawford and Allen was an overreaction. A decent crew would have talked to each player, then the coaches, then next play. That would have defused the situation for at least a few trips down the floor until the next blown call. However, the double T meant that Grayson also got his fourth foul, which took him out of the game for a good chunk of time.

I hereby nominate Vrank for on-court policeman. He brought a lot of energy and seems to enjoy banging around. If Grayson takes a hit that doesn't get called, a nice little blind-side back pick by Vrank could be one way to even the score.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 09:59 PM
We also shouldn't forget that Grayson can be a very effective scorer in his own right. We want to keep the offense versatile since the obvious defense of Duke is to shut Luke down as much as possible.

Grayson had a huge 3 down the stretch.

53n206
01-28-2017, 10:03 PM

Perhaps their lower extremity injuries have something to do with their movement. Can take a long time to fully recover.

weezie
01-28-2017, 10:05 PM

"Uuuuuuuge" !!!!! Stemmed the tide, it did.

Duke76
01-28-2017, 10:30 PM
"Uuuuuuuge" !!!!! Stemmed the tide, it did.

just now watching the highlights having missed the game and it looked as if obviously the boys were not hesitating on their shots...no stupid pump fakes that are not needed....shots were all taken with confidence and speed...but the other thing were the controlled set plays, I saw some new ones of picks for Luke and Grayson...good job guys

Kishiznit
01-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Incredible game - witnessed from great seats at the Joel. Grayson Allen is absolutely abused for 2+ hours verbally and physically. A 20 year old kid playing at the highest level does not deserve this. I can't imagine being his parents watching him play, I know how emotional the abuse made me and I was challenged keeping it together. As many posters have stated on previous topics, I hope when Coach 1K gets back, he calls out every journalist and talking head from Skipper's regime that has created this fiasco.

GO DUKE! Let this be the start to a remarkable run!

BandAlum83
01-28-2017, 11:13 PM

If that is the case, it is absolutely outrageous. Childress should be ejected and suspended, no doubt. Did the announcers totally niss this because of their vantage point

When I get back home I'm going to replay it over and over. This makes no sense.

BlueandWhite
01-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Yes - discrepancy in fouls was ridiculous.

Gotta figure out a defense crash course for Tatum/Giles. Your observations are correct. Here's to hoping that work on D in practice (which will no doubt be an emphasis) will translate to games.

OZ
01-28-2017, 11:28 PM
Neither Tatum nor Giles know how to play defense.

You might want to check out Wake's next to last possession. Clearly, Wake wanted to go inside to Collins, but Giles covered him the entire time. Finally, Wake was forced to take a bad shot, whereby, Giles stood his ground, blocked out Collins and got the all important rebound. And he may have just barely tipped the last shot by Wake. From where I was sitting, it looked as if the arc of the ball was altered just enough.

devildeac
01-28-2017, 11:44 PM
Is that the call where Allen got the Technical? If so, I thought that was a block. Grayson never got in front of him. You can lower your shoulder if you are trying to get around a defender if that defender does not have position. I thought the foul calls on Allen were legit. The refs just did not appear to call it the same way on both ends. The fourth foul call on Giles was the one that I thought was ridiculous. Glad to see the team could play through it.

And Tatum was called for a charge on a very similar play in the first half when he lowered a shoulder and the wake guy was moving sideways without having established position. I just want consistency on both ends.

devildeac
01-28-2017, 11:48 PM

With a nice assist from Matt.

ncexnyc
01-28-2017, 11:55 PM
I had to take a very long break after the game as it was an extremely emotional and nerve wracking win.

Yes, Luke had a great game, but Grayson makes it a lot easier for everyone else when he's got it going, which he did today. It becomes a case of pick your poison for the opposition.

It was nice to see Giles have one of his better games, if not his best game today. He looked really active and had some nice moves around the basket.

Vrank also played well today, which was surprising since we never get to see what he can do.

Definitely like Frank as our PG, but I do realize that if we roll with Grayson, Luke, and Frank, who are the other two starters? Time is running out and sooner or later we'll have to decide which line-up is the one we're going to sink or swim with.

I was really disappointed with the G-Man today. Yes, Grayson has brought a lot of this on himself, but my god Crawford tries to block the 3 attempt, puts his arm on Grayson's and then cuts Grayson off while he's going for the loose ball. Then Woods decides to enter the fray, but not a word is said about that. And finally Childress throws Grayson into the seats and it's not even mentioned. I know they weren't courtside, but I'm sure they were getting the same replays we were.

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 12:08 AM
Put me in the wishy-washy "either way" camp on the Grayson block / charge. Yes, Crawford lowered his shoulder but I'm not sure Grayson beat him to the spot first. I could live with that - it was Grayson's third foul.

What drove me nuts was the aftermath. It looked like Crawford starts jawing, Grayson responds, but no one really gets chest to chest. The quick-trigger double T on both Crawford and Allen was an overreaction. A decent crew would have talked to each player, then the coaches, then next play. That would have defused the situation for at least a few trips down the floor until the next blown call. However, the double T meant that Grayson also got his fourth foul, which took him out of the game for a good chunk of time.

I hereby nominate Vrank for on-court policeman. He brought a lot of energy and seems to enjoy banging around. If Grayson takes a hit that doesn't get called, a nice little blind-side back pick by Vrank could be one way to even the score.

The block was his second foul and the technical made 3 fouls. If it was 3 and 4, the subsequent common foul before the scuffle would have fouled him out.

OZ
01-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Our seats were about six rows behind Duke's bench where the "incident" took place. One way to look at this is nothing bad really happened. Allen missed his shot and he and Crawford went hard after the loose ball. Allen did grab Crawford momentarily and swatted at the ball - and was called for a foul. I was looking right at Allen holding my breath that he would hold his. He and Crawford looked at each other and Allen turned away. The ref immediately came over as did a couple of Wake players (who began to pull Crawford away). I am no lip reader, but it honestly looked like Crawford was angry that his teammates were inserting themselves into this and seemed to be telling them , "Nothing was happening." At this point Vrank made an appearance and I remember thinking, he'll be a barrier for Allen. Then from out of nowhere, Childress appeared, grabbed Grayson and pushed him down in a seat - then walked away. I was stunned, as I have (after having watched a million games) never seen that happen before. But, the way Childress acted and the Duke players reacted, my first thought was, Childress was doing a "good" thing by getting Allen out of there. Now, having returned home and reviewed it several times and read some of the comments of the board, I'm not sure as to what actually happened. I would like to hear from Allen and/or Childress as to what actually took place.
I know that Childress got a technical and he should have, but I can't help but wonder what were his intentions?

BlueTeuf
01-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Then from out of nowhere, Childress appeared, grabbed Grayson and pushed him down in a seat - then walked away.

This seems to be a common perception - but I don't think it is what happened. I think a Duke player (with a white warm-up jersey on) dragged/pushed Allen into the bench (likely thinking it important to extricate Allen from a volatile situation). This is page 9 of the post game thread and I'm the only one to offer this interpretation - so perhaps I'm wrong.

Re-watch the video with this possibility in mind - and then see what you think.

ChillinDuke
01-29-2017, 12:46 AM
Our seats were about six rows behind Duke's bench where the "incident" took place. One way to look at this is nothing bad really happened. Allen missed his shot and he and Crawford went hard after the loose ball. Allen did grab Crawford momentarily and swatted at the ball - and was called for a foul. I was looking right at Allen holding my breath that he would hold his. He and Crawford looked at each other and Allen turned away. The ref immediately came over as did a couple of Wake players (who began to pull Crawford away). I am no lip reader, but it honestly looked like Crawford was angry that his teammates were inserting themselves into this and seemed to be telling them , "Nothing was happening." At this point Vrank made an appearance and I remember thinking, he'll be a barrier for Allen. Then from out of nowhere, Childress appeared, grabbed Grayson and pushed him down in a seat - then walked away. I was stunned, as I have (after having watched a million games) never seen that happen before. But, the way Childress acted and the Duke players reacted, my first thought was, Childress was doing a "good" thing by getting Allen out of there. Now, having returned home and reviewed it several times and read some of the comments of the board, I'm not sure as to what actually happened. I would like to hear from Allen and/or Childress as to what actually took place.
I know that Childress got a technical and he should have, but I can't help but wonder what were his intentions?

I'm not sure his intentions, but you can't do that. You just can't. Players from opposing teams can't walk out of bounds during a dead ball into the opposing team's bench and initiate contact (strong contact) with an opposing player. You just can't. Period. The end.

Intentions or whatever, a technical is obvious but I'd argue for ejection. If not ejection, where is the line even? Players simply can't do certain things - ever. And to me, that just seemed to obviously be one of those things.

If Childress was caught up in a tangle or a fray or momentum carried him there, it's a different story. But that's not what happened. He made a conscious decision to go over there, "hug" his opponent Allen, and "push" him.

Just can't be allowed. Under any circumstance. We should have Vrank do that next game during a timeout. Because why not? Or have a player run past the scorers table when waiting to sub in and grab an opposing team's water cup. Take a sip. Why not? No harm there. Grab a towel while you're over there. Maybe high five the opposing bench players. Go right on down the high five line and back. Then plop down at the scorers table, take another sip of that delicious opposing water, wipe your brow, you got it made. Cuz there are no rules around here anymore.

...Oh, except Harry boxing out for rebounds. Not allowed to do that. It gets in the way of opposing players' going over the back. That's a rule for sure - foul on Harry.

- Chillin

ETA: I feel like this season is being played within Bill Walton's brain. Like what kind of alternate college basketball universe are we in? Most bizarre Duke season I've ever watched and it's really not even remotely close.

WHOneedsSOX
01-29-2017, 12:49 AM
ESPN is such a freaking joke. "Allen gets into a skirmish and then says a few words to the Wake Forest bench." He was in front of his own bench!!!

jv001
01-29-2017, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure his intentions, but you can't do that. You just can't. Players from opposing teams can't walk out of bounds during a dead ball into the opposing team's bench and initiate contact (strong contact) with an opposing player. You just can't. Period. The end.

Intentions or whatever, a technical is obvious but I'd argue for ejection. If not ejection, where is the line even? Players simply can't do certain things - ever. And to me, that just seemed to obviously be one of those things.

If Childress was caught up in a tangle or a fray or momentum carried him there, it's a different story. But that's not what happened. He made a conscious decision to go over there, "hug" his opponent Allen, and "push" him.

Just can't be allowed. Under any circumstance. We should have Vrank do that next game during a timeout. Because why not? Or have a player run past the scorers table when waiting to sub in and grab an opposing team's water cup. Take a sip. Why not? No harm there. Grab a towel while you're over there. Maybe high five the opposing bench players. Go right on down the high five line and back. Then plop down at the scorers table, take another sip of that delicious opposing water, wipe your brow, you got it made. Cuz there are no rules around here anymore.

...Oh, except Harry boxing out for rebounds. Not allowed to do that. It gets in the way of opposing players' going over the back. That's a rule for sure - foul on Harry.

- Chillin

ETA: I feel like this season is being played within Bill Walton's brain. Like what kind of alternate college basketball universe are we in? Most bizarre Duke season I've ever watched and it's really not even remotely close.

I hope not. Walton's brain has been fried for a long time. :cool: GoDuke!

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 12:56 AM

I've watched it multiple times now in super slo mo. Childress comes from the right side of the screen to a position behind Grayson and bear hugs him from behind. He then turns him and body slams him to the seats.

He starts yelling and his appearance is very angry as his players pull him back.

I agree that before this, nothing was going on. Crawford and Allen were fine. They seemed to be "basketball play, nothing to see here. Next play"

Childress was totally out of line and out of control. Will ESPN show it that way? Doubt it.

We need a GIF of that take down.

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 01:03 AM
Just rewatched Luke's big 3.

Giles gives a few bunny hops on the low post to spring Luke on the curl. Nice pick, but could he have been called for a moving pick?

So glad he wasn't, of course. Otherwise it was a play run to perfection.

OZ
01-29-2017, 01:11 AM

- Chillin

I never said he could have or should have grabbed Allen. I also stated that Childress received a tech and he should have. I would not be opposed to his being suspended, because, NO you shouldn't do that! But, it was just so bizarre, I couldn't help but wonder, what was he thinking? But, at least I afforded you the opportunity to put your sardonic humor on display.

SlapTheFloor
01-29-2017, 01:20 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread already, but was this our first road win of the season?

CameronCrazy'11
01-29-2017, 01:47 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread already, but was this our first road win of the season?

If you don't count beating Vegas in Vegas, which for some reason they don't.

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-29-2017, 03:39 AM
If you don't count beating Vegas in Vegas, which for some reason they don't.

Duke played UNLV at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, in the first college basketball game at T-Mobile Arena. UNLV has no other games at T-Mobile Arena (this season). UNLV's home court is the Thomas & Mack Center, which is approximately 2 miles from T-Mobile Arena.

Devilwin
01-29-2017, 07:32 AM
So happy with this win. Another great second half comeback. Still, there's lots of room for improvement. Wondering about Bolden. Three minutes or so of playing time?
Our bigs continue to get abused down low, but Harry is coming along, albeit it slowly. Jayson needs to be more aggressive on the boards. But overall, playing in front of a very hostile crowd that tormented Grayson relentlessly, you had to admire the heart and fire that Luke ignited in the team. Luke was just unreal yesterday..
On Grayson.
I know this may have been self inflicted, but I am sick of all this abuse from the media, fans, and other players. The kid has done his time. Leave him alone...

My brother is a UNC fan. He said we got a royal jobbing from the refs, and said Childress should have been ejected (which I agree with). All this after his team got thrashed by Miami! For a Carolina fan of all people to say that must mean there's some truth in it, lol.

somf4eva
01-29-2017, 07:51 AM

I agree that nothing was happening at the beginning. It appeared that as the Duke players stood up to get get out of the way or protect Allen, the Wake players saw this and rushed over. At this point, again, everything was fine as Crawford was telling his guys to calm down. Also, I notice Nolan coming in there real quick to remove Allen from the situation. Childress had no reason to be in there I have have no idea how he was not ejected.

To see some of the reactions over this on ESPN and sbnation is infuriating.

fuse
01-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Still waiting for the media outrage over the Childress activity.
Manning should legitimately consider a suspension.

In the real world, DBR fan outrage in this thread will have to suffice.

I will say that Mike deCourcy is pretty cool.
I called out the Sporting News on twitter with the before and after headline ("Grayson Allen in a fight" to "involved in scuffle") and he direct messaged me.
Yes, the media is part of the problem, nice to see some of the good ones recognize that.

Tripping William
01-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Still waiting for the media outrage over the Childress activity.
Manning should legitimately consider a suspension.

In the real world, DBR fan outrage in this thread will have to suffice.

I will say that Mike deCourcy is pretty cool.
I called out the Sporting News on twitter with the before and after headline ("Grayson Allen in a fight" to "involved in scuffle") and he direct messaged me.
Yes, the media is part of the problem, nice to see some of the good ones recognize that.

Keep waiting. And the correct headline would have been, "Grayson Allen aggressively pursues rebound." He did no more than he did going for that loose ball against Wisconsin's Traevon Jackson.

Atldukie79
01-29-2017, 08:26 AM
You might want to check out Wake's next to last possession. Clearly, Wake wanted to go inside to Collins, but Giles covered him the entire time. Finally, Wake was forced to take a bad shot, whereby, Giles stood his ground, blocked out Collins and got the all important rebound. And he may have just barely tipped the last shot by Wake. From where I was sitting, it looked as if the arc of the ball was altered just enough.

I am delighted to see plays like the ones you describe. On balance, they both have much to learn. Both have trouble with hard drives from the perimeter which result in layups. Often their rotations are late. They miss players lurking behind them. As a previous poster noted, perhaps their lingering lower extremity injuries still haunt them.

moonpie23
01-29-2017, 09:07 AM
how many games is coach manning going to suspend childress for?

I can't seem to find that...

quahog174
01-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Cool Hand Luke and Master Grayson to the rescue!

Saratoga2
01-29-2017, 09:40 AM
A few notable stats from last night:

Matt, who saved us against Miami and who did a good job in the NC State game going 4 for 11 and 3 for 8 from the three point line threw a real clunker last night going 1 for 10 over all and 1 for 8 from the three point line. A lot of his shots were wide open. Don't know how to take this swing but so many unproductive offensive possessions are difficult to overcome.

Our two that played point on the other hand had good offensive games getting a total of 25 points. Grayson went 5 for 13 and 5 from 11 from the three point line and was 4 for 4 from the line while Frank was 3 for 7 ad 1 for 3 from the 3 line and 2 for 2 from the foul line. Both were on the floor together at times but we got 25 points from essentially one position.

Clearly, opposing coaches will focus on Luke and we will need others to come through offensively. Grayson and Frank can do that. Jayson has the skills to also do that and in addition we need to find Amile and Harry inside.

Furniture
01-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Enjoy Grayson interviewing Luke after the game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/825510200513851397/video/1

Top plays from the game. Luke is all over them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/825522046536916998/video/1

superdave
01-29-2017, 10:00 AM
We got a little bit of everything yesterday, from the brainless fouls and passes to no one, to the brilliant execution on set plays and riding the hot hand. The game was a roller coaster.

I do wonder what this game does for the team's confidence. It is a road win against a young and improving Wake team. They dug deep for the comeback, similar to the Miami game. Guys stepped up even with a ll the foul trouble. We will know tomorrow if they carry any of this momentum into South Bend or if there's still some bigger issues.

The biggest concern - besides consistent defensive intensity - is the frontcourt. We didnt get a whole lot from them yesterday, and even had to look to Vrankovic for minutes. At this point in the year, you would expect a more stable rotation and better production. Bolden looked great on D vs Miami but has done little since then. Giles shows flashes but has not put together a couple of games that look like what we would expect. I think that makes it more likely we play small ball the bulk of the game. The Unc game will be interesting because they have a big frontcourt that we will have to counter. It would be great to see Giles and Bolden step up and earn more minutes. We did win the rebounding battle yesterday in spite of foul trouble and limited minutes for a lot of bigs.

azzefkram
01-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Optimism (though it started to falter when Woods(?) banked in that long two late in the game). Great win for the good guys. The first half was ugly but the second half was much better. A little less intervention from Teddy V and maybe the end isn't so stressful. Luke was unconscious in the second half. I thought Harry looked better on D. Collins is a tough cover and add in some really suspect calls to add to the difficulty. Nice game from Grayson. Respectable cameos from Jack and Vrank. Bolden's a bit of a puzzle right now. Jayson is going to be a great pro but I'm not sure he will be a great college player. There should be a rule added that makes it an automatic turnover whenever Matt drives the ball since that what happens most of the time anyways. Next up is ND. Beat the team in front of you and the rest will take care of itself.

Furniture
01-29-2017, 10:34 AM
These highlights are nice with Capels press comments plus interviews with Luke, Harry and Grayson.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/825679894461947904/video/1

'we are going to win this game'

richardjackson199
01-29-2017, 10:37 AM

And Kentucky lost.

The officiating and commentating were both on other-worldly awful levels. When Grayson got his Technical, this occurred after several consecutive plays where very bad calls and fouls had gone against Duke. Grayson was moving his feet well on defense. I thought that one was probably a charge, but it was a tough call where block was understandable. I saw Grayson's reaction as frustration building from horrendous officiating. Go back, rewatch the game, and just count how many awful calls or phantom fouls were called. Giles called for foul while boxing out in defensive position. Tatum and others called for foul while stepping out of the way to avoid any contact. And it wasn't all Valentine - his fellow officials were often the culprits. The Duke players were often laughing at the calls they were so bad. The one on Matt Jones for the push-off was the right call, but that was about the only one they got right. The over and back turnover was also wrong- Luke had established both feet well over the half-court line as he caught it.

I'm amazed we won a road game where Wake shot that many free-throws. We were all in foul trouble from the opening minutes, and Wake seemed to play most of both halves in the bonus/double bonus. And Luke at one point was 5-9 on the free throw line including missing front end of a 1-and-1. Props to our team for coming together on the road and overcoming that much adversity. No wonder Luke sounded so proud of his team's play -- and if you listen to him it was not his 30 point half he was proud of (or his 6-6 from 3, almost 7-7 with the toe on the line, or almost 8-8 with the 3 free throws he did hit when fouled on 1 three). Maybe K's motivational techniques aren't so comical after all Seth, we responded pretty well to the challenge to play like Duke.

And Brando was out to lunch. Blasphemy maybe, but I'd much rather listen to Bilas or Vitale than that guy again. Not Len Elmore, but Brando was approaching that level of cluelessness.

Childress should be SUSPENDED. He should have been ejected from that game. The refs spent much more time on the monitor trying to decide if Tatum's 5th foul was flagrant 1 than reviewing a guy coming into our bench to slam Grayson into the seats. Kudos to Grayson for keeping his cool. K needs to be talking to the ACC office about protecting Grayson from this crap. That play should be reviewed, and Childress should sit Wake's next game with a suspension.

btw on Tatum's 5th foul, he had the ball in scoring position under the basket and the Wake player fouled him on the arm prior to Tatum's 5th. I agree losing Tatum was huge, but not in a good way. He is making lots of freshman mistakes and has shown plenty of poor decision-making, agreed. But he is one of our best players. For Duke to achieve its ceiling this year, we need Tatum to play well and be in the game. He has shown plenty of ability in all aspects of the game. He just needs to continue to work on playing team first ball, and letting good scoring opportunities come to him within the flow of the offense. If he and our freshmen continue to improve, this could still be a fun season.

Despite my prediction of Duke's ACC record, I would expect some more losses for Duke given our difficult remaining schedule. At this point, we should not feel pressure to win out, and I hope the board doesn't melt down when we lose one. The focus should be on improving every day - better team ball movement on offense to get better shots. Focus on being in the right place on defense, staying in front of fast penetrators, preventing fast-break transition run-outs, and creating more of those opportunities. We are not going to get a 1 seed and we aren't going to win the ACC regular season. No big deal at this point. Wild cards sometimes win the super bowl. Whether we are a 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 seed - we can win it if we optimize our potential and keep improving.

I'm liking our chances better. This team just showed some toughness and togetherness under extremely adverse conditions. We owe Notre Dame some payback. Time for our 2nd huge win in South Bend in a few months.

jipops
01-29-2017, 10:43 AM
I don't like to go all Jay Bilas and become fixated on officiating, but this game was a joke. Childress' face makes contact with the ball and it's Tatum's 5th? That was just one example. 30 fouls called on Duke. THIRTY! At about the 13 minute mark we finally started to lock in on D and the whimsical whistles broke that apart. Under 10 the defense stunk. Vrank of course gets an arm to the chest and gets a foul.

Excellent D by Giles in that last 2 minutes. He did well rotating and denying the post. There is hope!

weezie
01-29-2017, 10:49 AM
...The officiating and commentating were both on other-worldly awful levels....Go back, rewatch the game, and just count how many awful calls or phantom fouls were called... I'm amazed we won a road game where Wake shot that many free-throws. We were all in foul trouble from the opening minutes, and Wake seemed to play most of both halves in the bonus/double bonus...Childress should be SUSPENDED. He should have been ejected from that game. The refs spent much more time on the monitor trying to decide if Tatum's 5th foul was flagrant 1 than reviewing a guy coming into our bench to slam Grayson into the seats... K needs to be talking to the ACC office about protecting Grayson from this crap. That play should be reviewed, and Childress should sit Wake's next game with a suspension.

...At this point, we should not feel pressure to win out, and I hope the board doesn't melt down when we lose one. The focus should be on improving every day - better team ball movement on offense to get better shots. Focus on being in the right place on defense, staying in front of fast penetrators, preventing fast-break transition run-outs, and creating more of those opportunities... This team just showed some toughness and togetherness under extremely adverse conditions. We owe Notre Dame some payback..

I'll have what richardjackson is having. Perfect summation.

alteran
01-29-2017, 10:53 AM
I just wanted to make a comment on this, "better without Tatum" meme.

I think with all the preseason national media hype, some have forgotten that he is a freshman, with about a third of the experience he should have at this point in this season. He's probably JUST beginning to adjust to the increased speed of college basketball, and he's doing it against the craziest level of ACC competition maybe ever, not in the Saint Elsewhere Thanksgiving Classic.

Big men at Duke have an inordinate, complicated burden in Duke's defensive scheme. Okafor, with much more PT, only mostly got it by the NCAA tourney. As a swing, Tatum has both this burden sometimes, and sometimes not-- making it even easier to be confused. Some people see lack of effort where I see confusion. I get the feeling when he's locked in and gets where he is supposed to be and what he's supposed to do, he's fine, like against Miami.

He's doing absolutely beautiful drives through solid defenses a lot to get to the hoop. He's missing some of those, but when the game slows down for him, those are going to drop. And at Duke, hot shooters shoot. And cold shooters shoot, too. The coaches must know he's got a good shot if they keep letting him take it.

Bottom line-- freshman are freshman. Duke needs to keep him in, we have an unbelievable ceiling if he ends up getting it by early March.

DukeDevilDeb
01-29-2017, 10:56 AM
This seems to be a common perception - but I don't think it is what happened. I think a Duke player (with a white warm-up jersey on) dragged/pushed Allen into the bench (likely thinking it important to extricate Allen from a volatile situation). This is page 9 of the post game thread and I'm the only one to offer this interpretation - so perhaps I'm wrong.

I agree with you... but Childress didn't help at all!

Go Devils!

CDu
01-29-2017, 11:17 AM

You are responding to a poster who apparently was AT the game and sitting behind the Duke bench. I suspect they had a better view than you.

At first, I shared your viewpoint. But with each replay, I became 100% convinced that it was indeed Childress that grabbed Allen and threw him down.

plimnko
01-29-2017, 11:31 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dukes-allen-ignites-yet-another-brawl/ar-AAmmeoK?li=BBnbfcL

please correct me if i'm wrong

Atlanta Duke
01-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Good column by Ed Hardin in the Greensboro News & Record describing the crowd's behavior yesterday.

They booed lustily every time Grayson Allen touched the ball. Well, the truth is, they booed the first two times Kennard touched the ball because they didn’t know the difference between Allen and Kennard.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/ed-hardin-latest-heated-chapter-in-duke-wake-rivalry-goes/article_f03aa706-6c55-56c4-8f0f-3723a9fdaca3.html

kmspeaks
01-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Others have pretty much covered the basketball aspects of this game so I've got nothing to add there, but Brando and Gminski should be ashamed of the conversation they had on air during the replays and review of "The Incident". Neither Grayson Allen nor Bryant Crawford did anything wrong. Woods and Wilbekin came over to turn nothing in to something and then Childress committed the flagrant. Yet all those two wanted to talk about was how this was Grayson's fault for committing a foul (something that, according to TV Teddy and his crew, happened 50 times yesterday) and lauding Danny Manning for keeping his team on the bench, aka doing his job.

sagegrouse
01-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Childress should be SUSPENDED. He should have been ejected from that game. The refs spent much more time on the monitor trying to decide if Tatum's 5th foul was flagrant 1 than reviewing a guy coming into our bench to slam Grayson into the seats. Kudos to Grayson for keeping his cool. K needs to be talking to the ACC office about protecting Grayson from this crap. That play should be reviewed, and Childress should sit Wake's next game with a suspension.

On Childress, isn't it a colorable argument (I have no idea what that means, but I have always wanted to use the term) for him to say, "I admire Grayson and think he has been treated unfairly, and I wanted to get him seated on the bench where he was out of trouble."

du_bb1
01-29-2017, 11:57 AM
If being redundant to previous posts mea culpa-have not read the previous pages

Late to the party-attended game-home late and slept in--well worth it !

To start--getting to the game-traffic is horrendous-took 35 minutes to get to the parking lot from edge of campus-and we were there
almost an hour early

Great atmosphere-very few empty seats-great crowd-other than the constant riding of Grayson-and Harry-
Wake fans in our area were good-friendly-classy BB fans
I do like being able to buy a beer at the game !

Nice at half time to honor Bob Harris-well appreciated by the crowd

The eye test--thought we took a step forward in the second half-energy was good, positive body language and better rotation on defense,
hopefully this will carry over and not be a one time event. Was interesting, on at least 2 occasions-during time out-Capel stepped back
and Nate did the talking with the team.

Will not delve into individual players or plays, feel confident our resident gurus have dissected this thoroughly. I do feel more confident in
the coming games--one step at a time. It was a really good day

Ballboy1998
01-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Others have pretty much covered the basketball aspects of this game so I've got nothing to add there, but Brando and Gminski should be ashamed of the conversation they had on air during the replays and review of "The Incident". Neither Grayson Allen nor Bryant Crawford did anything wrong. Woods and Wilbekin came over to turn nothing in to something and then Childress committed the flagrant. Yet all those two wanted to talk about was how this was Grayson's fault for committing a foul (something that, according to TV Teddy and his crew, happened 50 times yesterday) and lauding Danny Manning for keeping his team on the bench, aka doing his job.

Yes, they were embarrassingly clueless all night, with their handling of that situation being the best example. Even going back to the earlier situation where Grayson got a technical, they never explained that it was a double technical (which I think was the right call in that case) and instead only said that Grayson got a technical and were somehow so oblivious as to say that Wake was shooting technical free throws even though it was clearly one-and-one free throws for the blocking foul.

As for the Childress incident, they never even seemed to notice -- or at least totally failed to comment on -- Childress's actions. Allen and Crawford both looked to have handled themselves admirably, with Crawford seemingly imploring his teammates to chill out because nothing was happening. I have never seen a player do something similar to what Childress did, and continue to think he should have been ejected for his actions and am frankly amazed our bench guys resisted slugging him.

ESPN's shameful coverage of the whole thing is but the latest example of desperate flailing by an entity quickly fading into irrelevance in a world of instant internet highlights. Good riddance.

sagegrouse
01-29-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/dukes-allen-ignites-yet-another-brawl/ar-AAmmeoK?li=BBnbfcL

Here's the lead paras. from our dufus friend, Adam Weinrib, at MSN Sports:

Does somebody near him want to remind Grayson Allen to grow up, or is that our job?

Because every game, home or away, rain or shine, there's always something immature going on with the Duke Blue Devils and it's always traceable to Allen.

With just over five minutes left in this chippy, and overly foul-filled contest, Allen extended his arms, and a sea of carnage followed him to the bench.

Steven43
01-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Well...looks like I'm keeping my hair. Thanks Luke!

But he's not.

We kid because we care, Luke.

Steven43
01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Capel is getting no respects from the ACC refs. It is very insulting and frustrating to see.

Capel's not on the court. What do you mean?

Steven43
01-29-2017, 12:51 PM
That is probably some recency bias. After the Miami game ther were post saying the 2nd half lineup should be the starting unit going forward. I think there needs to be some acceptance of the fact that this team is still trying to find itself. Players will have good and bad games and lineups will be fluid. I think people will be a lot less frustrated if they understand that there will be highs and lows as the team works to get better. Heck they could easily get run off the floor against ND regardless of who plays.
Very smart post.

Furniture
01-29-2017, 12:53 PM

Read the comments section. Fairly unanimous agreement that Grayson did nothing wrong and a lot of condemnation of the writer of the article by lots of non Duke fans.

One comment called it 'alternative facts'.

6th Man
01-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Can you imagine the news today if Grayson Allen did what Childress did yesterday?

lotusland
01-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Duke's wins over GT and Miami look better today. Home loss to State does not. It's good to finally get a Conference' road win but it didn't exactly inspire confidence going to South Bend. I think Duke needs to attack the basket against ND. Giles/Bolden, Amile, Tatum, Luke and Grayson. Tatum at the 3 spot will have size and should be able to get to the basket with a good shot. Ditto Luke and Grayson. If help comes drop off to Amile, Giles, Bolden in the base line. Gotta box out Bonzi and limit second shots on D.

Neals384
01-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Duke's wins over GT and Miami look better today. Home loss to State does not. It's good to finally get a Conference' road win but it didn't exactly inspire confidence going to South Bend. I think Duke needs to attack the basket against ND. Giles/Bolden, Amile, Tatum, Luke and Grayson. Tatum at the 3 spot will have size and should be able to get to the basket with a good shot. Ditto Luke and Grayson. If help comes drop off to Amile, Giles, Bolden in the base line. Gotta box out Bonzi and limit second shots on D.

We didn't see Tatum at the 3 at all vs. Wake, and may not vs. ND.

Neals384
01-29-2017, 01:26 PM
You are responding to a poster who apparently was AT the game and sitting behind the Duke bench. I suspect they had a better view than you.

At first, I shared your viewpoint. But with each replay, I became 100% convinced that it was indeed Childress that grabbed Allen and threw him down.

I can't post a high res gif, but in this view I think you can see it was clearly Childress.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrokenCanineGilamonster-size_restricted.gif

Troublemaker
01-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Tatum at the 3 spot will have size and should be able to get to the basket with a good shot.

VJ Beachem is 6'8" (same as Jayson) and a good defender. Notre Dame in general has improved on defense a lot. Our offense will have to be sharp.

We didn't see Tatum at the 3 at all vs. Wake, and may not vs. ND.

This might continue. I've very concerned about Amile. I think he's playing at much less than 100%, and that means Jayson will take on a lot of PF duty. (Whether that's good or not, I haven't decided.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-29-2017, 01:39 PM
I can't post a high res gif, but in this view I think you can see it was clearly Childress.

Honestly, I can't see anything clearly there, or in real time, or in Direct TV replay.

I assumed it was a Wake player taking him down. The guy I watched with thought it was a Duke guy in white warm ups putting him out of harm's way. And, as noted, the commentators were zero help.

wsb3
01-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Curious..30 points by a Duke player in one half. How often has that been done? I would say Danny Ferry & his 58 point game vs Miami..any others?

53n206
01-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't it be great if when Valentine was "doing" one our games, and we were way ahead, one of our players coming in from the bench would hand Valentine a pair of glasses.
Has this been done previously? Perhaps the "Crazies" could work this theme up in some way.

Eternal Outlaw
01-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Honestly, I can't see anything clearly there, or in real time, or in Direct TV replay.

I assumed it was a Wake player taking him down. The guy I watched with thought it was a Duke guy in white warm ups putting him out of harm's way. And, as noted, the commentators were zero help.

https://twitter.com/Tdouble2323/status/825465521772589056

From twitter which is a slowed down replay of it. Obviously can't get the bodies out of the way but seems much clearer to follow and see Childress was the one who forcibly put Allen on bench

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-29-2017, 01:59 PM

From twitter which is a slowed down replay of it. Obviously can't get the bodies out of the way but seems much clearer to follow and see Childress was the one who forcibly put Allen on bench

Yup. Best clear shot I have seen. Thanks.

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 02:06 PM

I have the game on my DVR. I watched it repeatedly in super slo mo. There is NO DOUBT that Childress not only grabs hi, but also body slams Grayson into the seats.

Duke76
01-29-2017, 02:13 PM

just noticed something again on Grayson's jump shot......it is so much better when his feet are a little more spread with the right ft slightly in front of the other and it is a jump shot rather that feet together and close and very little lift

just very noticeable to me

Devilwin
01-29-2017, 02:20 PM

No doubt. I watched seven times in slo mo, there's no question about it. We will see if anything is said or done about it. I doubt it, mainly because it's Grayson.
And, Grayson did nothing to deserve that. Childress basically took advantage of this stinking media circus to get away with mild violence.
I will say this. If it had been me, Childress would have to see a dentist right away! Grayson Allen is a much better man than I am...

OZ
01-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Good column by Ed Hardin in the Greensboro News & Record describing the crowd's behavior yesterday.

]They booed lustily every time Grayson Allen touched the ball. Well, the truth is, they booed the first two times Kennard touched the ball because they didn’t know the difference between Allen and Kennard[/B].

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/ed-hardin-latest-heated-chapter-in-duke-wake-rivalry-goes/article_f03aa706-6c55-56c4-8f0f-3723a9fdaca3.html

...and they also booed every time Giles touched the ball...showered him with an assortment of expletives the entire game...and sung chants to him. They also threw a few things toward the Duke bench.
However in the last 40 seconds karma got its payback. With their team, holding onto a one point lead and with the ball, the Wake students began to make their way down to the court's edge, anticipating running onto the court to celebrate their big victory. Afterwards, the only running onto the court was the Duke bench to greet their victorious brothers.

Tripping William
01-29-2017, 02:24 PM
No doubt. I watched seven times in slo mo, there's no question about it. We will see if anything is said or done about it. I doubt it, mainly because it's Grayson.
And, Grayson did nothing to deserve that. Childress basically took advantage of this stinking media circus to get away with mild violence.
I will say this. If it had been me, Childress would have to see a dentist right away! Grayson Allen is a much better man than I am...

Childress's dad did something roughly similar to Jeff McInnis, only on the court and with a crossover. And then dared McInnis to come after him. It was a thing of beauty. Younger Childress's actions? Not so much.

CDu
01-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Bingo.

devildeac
01-29-2017, 02:38 PM

I can't seem to find that...

(insert brief interlude here for tuning of your respective sarcasm meters)

I'm not worried about that as I'm sure the honest and upright acc office will take care of that incident. :mad:

OZ
01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
The next time someone calls out our players for "bizarre behavior," show them this. This guy, however, should NOT be suspended, but be made to coach this same team forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3R4hkjjx8

devildeac
01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
A few notable stats from last night:

Matt, who saved us against Miami and who did a good job in the NC State game going 4 for 11 and 3 for 8 from the three point line threw a real clunker last night going 1 for 10 over all and 1 for 8 from the three point line. A lot of his shots were wide open. Don't know how to take this swing but so many unproductive offensive possessions are difficult to overcome.

Our two that played point on the other hand had good offensive games getting a total of 25 points. Grayson went 5 for 13 and 5 from 11 from the three point line and was 4 for 4 from the line while Frank was 3 for 7 ad 1 for 3 from the 3 line and 2 for 2 from the foul line. Both were on the floor together at times but we got 25 points from essentially one position.

Clearly, opposing coaches will focus on Luke and we will need others to come through offensively. Grayson and Frank can do that. Jayson has the skills to also do that and in addition we need to find Amile and Harry inside.

Some other interesting stats:

Matt had 6A (led team) and 3 TO.

GA led Duke with 6 boards. WTH?

Frank had 4A and 0 TO.

Our bigs (including Amile, Bolden, Giles and Vrank) accumulated 14 fouls in 47 combined minutes.

Furniture
01-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Re yesterdays supposed incident with Grayson. At this point isn't this forum becoming like the press? Why perpetuate this?

brevity
01-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Does anybody know if the ACC broadcast team employs a sideline reporter? This game could have benefited from one.

I'm not worried about that as I'm sure the honest and upright acc office will take care of that incident. :mad:

Coach Manning should have the opportunity to address this internally before the ACC gets involved.

By the way, this was the mistake Jay Williams made in his haste to tweet and speak in response to Grayson's trip in the Elon game. I read a few hundred takes on that incident, waiting for anyone else to notice that Jay made a direct plea to the ACC, bypassing Coach K altogether. His message that day was clear: the ACC needs to step in because Coach K can't or won't. Had an outsider said this, it would be mildly rude, but from a former player it was devastating.

killerleft
01-29-2017, 03:00 PM

I actually assumed the same thing. The TV view of Grayson and Childress was mostly blocked, and I thought that what Childress was trying to do was foiled by Grayson losing his balance. The whole thing could have been avoided. Grayson had turned away after his momentum brought him face to face with Crawford. The intervention of other players led to whatever happened.

curtis325
01-29-2017, 03:19 PM

I can't watch that game-winning shot often enough. It was a great play called by Capel and executed beautifully. Maybe Giles moved just a little on the screen, but the ref was looking directly at it and didn't even flinch (maybe he was fatigued from so many bogus calls all game or maybe his whistle was worn out). The pass from Frank to Luke was perfect and that is so important for a catch-and-shoot. Mad props to FJ for the pass and of course it was destined to go in when Luke let fly.

devilsince1977
01-29-2017, 03:26 PM
The next time someone calls out our players for "bizarre behavior," show them this. This guy, however, should NOT be suspended, but be made to coach this same team forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3R4hkjjx8

Roy needs time with a mental health professional after this bench tirade. How childish and immature. Oh, that's right it is only inappropriate for a 20 yr old.

He also needs Coach Knight to show him how a real MAN abuses a chair

Troublemaker
01-29-2017, 03:27 PM
You know, watching all the videos on the DukeMBB twitter account makes its really hard to believe that this team has interpersonal strife. Unless they're wonderful actors.

I think sometimes they're lazy in transition, and I think they've been struggling to click on the court (understandably) as the frosh build up from returning from injury, but I do not think this team dislikes each other.

richardjackson199
01-29-2017, 03:50 PM
I'll have what richardjackson is having. Perfect summation.

Thanks! Oh I'm having it today alright.

Loved those linked videos. Hopefully the team just keeps having fun playing basketball together.
If so, the Wake game could be a microcosm for this season: deeply frustrating, uncontrollable distractions, relentless adversity, unfair vitriol, steadfast resilience, growing trust, and an emergent juggernaut making it's best run at the end ... when it matters most. And then brothers celebrating victory together.

Another round of shots! (from Luke and Grayson)

CoachJ10
01-29-2017, 03:52 PM
So as far as we know, the ACC and Wake Forest have said nothing with regards to Childress' actions.

Indeed.

killerleft
01-29-2017, 04:00 PM
On Childress, isn't it a colorable argument (I have no idea what that means, but I have always wanted to use the term) for him to say, "I admire Grayson and think he has been treated unfairly, and I wanted to get him seated on the bench where he was out of trouble."

First I've heard this quote. I believe this is what he was attempting to do. He should have left it alone, though. Can't grab people like that.

91_92_01_10_15
01-29-2017, 04:09 PM
First I've heard this quote. I believe this is what he was attempting to do. He should have left it alone, though. Can't grab people like that.

I think sagegrouse made that one up.

killerleft
01-29-2017, 04:18 PM

:o, if so. I was looking for some confirmation for what I think happened. Except for Woods, it seemed that everyone was trying to keep Allen away from trouble. Only Allen and Crawford did nothing. The refs sucked, but if they had believed that Crawford was trying to toss Grayson like a Tolkien dwarf, they would have ejected him for sure.

Kjeffrey
01-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Does anyone else think it is strange that neither Amile nor Tatum react when Childress does that? It makes me wonder if they knew he was doing it to get Allen out of a potentially bad situation. Maybe he said something as he was doing it.

sagegrouse
01-29-2017, 04:40 PM

I sure did make it up. I was thinking of plausible reasons for not punishing Childress further, because I didn't think that Brandon really wanted to take on Allen.

I mean, I want to use the full potential of the internet.

alteran
01-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Does anyone else think it is strange that neither Amile nor Tatum react when Childress does that? It makes me wonder if they knew he was doing it to get Allen out of a potentially bad situation. Maybe he said something as he was doing it.

Or maybe they realize that the only thing that can be tolerated at all is Duke players being entirely above reproach, and even then ESPN will act like it's their fault.

MChambers
01-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Roy needs time with a mental health professional after this bench tirade. How childish and immature. Oh, that's right it is only inappropriate for a 20 yr old.

He also needs Coach Knight to show him how a real MAN abuses a chair

Best part is the expression on the players right in front of him. They seemed to be tuning him completely out.

Rich
01-29-2017, 04:58 PM
I sure did make it up. I was thinking of plausible reasons for not punishing Childress further, because I didn't think that Brandon really wanted to take on Allen.

I mean, I want to use the full potential of the internet.

Oh great, I thought this was the only safe haven. Now I learn that DBR perpetuates fake news and "alternative facts."

szstark
01-29-2017, 05:32 PM

That's exactly what I've been thinking. Not a single Duke player tried to get Childress off of Grayson. If Childress was saying something like "Grayson, stay out of it", he was trying to help the situation. I have no idea whether that happened or not, but it sure would explain a lot about the Duke bench's reaction at the time.

CDu
01-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Some other interesting stats:

Matt had 6A (led team) and 3 TO.

GA led Duke with 6 boards. WTH?

Frank had 4A and 0 TO.

Our bigs (including Amile, Bolden, Giles and Vrank) accumulated 14 fouls in 47 combined minutes.

The boards can be explained by none of our bigs playing more than 21 minutes. Tatum and Giles had 10 rebounds combined in just 39 minutes. It was, by necessity, a team rebounding game.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2017, 05:34 PM

Sagegrouse is the FAKE NEWS we've been waiting for. #AltFacts #1984

(Sorry, been reading too much Twitter)

(Also see that Rich beat me to it, as usual)

Kdogg
01-29-2017, 06:22 PM

I saw this live and the playbacks. My first reaction was anger but after seeing the replay yesterday it seems like Childress was trying to separate Grayson from the scrum. It also seemed like Grayson was in the act of sitting down which make it look like something it's not.

I really feel sorry for Grayson. He's taking so many hits and will never get the benefit of the doubt.