PDA

View Full Version : Charles Shackleford RIP

freshmanjs
01-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Sad story. RIP.

link (http://wnct.com/2017/01/27/sources-former-nc-state-star-kinston-native-charles-shackleford-found-dead/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Newton_14
01-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Just saw this. Terrible news. We are the same age. I saw him play several games in High School his Jr and Sr years when Kinston came to Durham High School gym and played in an annual Christmas Holiday Tournament. They won it I believe his Senior year.

Very sad to see he has passed at 50.

DukieInKansas
01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Way too young. Condolences to his family and friends.

Tripping William
01-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Very sad. He uttered one of the best lines in all of ACC history. I may not dribble equally well with both my left and right hands for a while. May his amphibiousness rest in peace.

sagegrouse
01-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Very sad. He uttered one of the best lines in all of ACC history. I may not dribble equally well with both my left and right hands for a while. May his amphibiousness rest in peace.

"Amphibious" is regularly uttered by basketball announces in a joking way -- so Charles's words are living on.

ipatent
01-27-2017, 06:17 PM
The original Shack was a force for Jimmy V in his post-title years, may he rest in peace. He was part of the cast described in the Golenbock book that got V kicked upstairs, immortalized for his emissions on the team bus.

BD80
01-27-2017, 09:07 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ex-nc-state-basketball-star-charles-shackleford-found-dead/ar-AAmjUpr?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Very sad.

Cause of death unknown. Well, we know it wasn't drowning, because ...

jv001
01-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Prayers for the Shackleford family. Was Charles the player sitting on top of the backboard after winning the NCAAT? I still remember that picture but can't remember which game. GoDuke!

Owen Meany
01-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Prayers for the Shackleford family. Was Charles the player sitting on top of the backboard after winning the NCAAT? I still remember that picture but can't remember which game. GoDuke!

IIRC, that was Cozell McQueen.

jv001
01-27-2017, 11:09 PM
IIRC, that was Cozell McQueen.

Thanks, I believe it was McQueen. GoDuke!

ipatent
01-28-2017, 06:07 AM

I don't think he was on that team. Without looking it up, I think he was on later teams with the likes of Spud Webb and Gugliotta.

CDu
01-28-2017, 07:22 AM
I don't think he was on that team. Without looking it up, I think he was on later teams with the likes of Spud Webb and Gugliotta.

I think his career was actually wedged in the years right between those guys. Webb finished in the spring of 1985, Shackleford started in the fall of 1985 and left after the spring of 1988, and Gugs started in the fall of 1988. But yes, the amphibian was not on the State championship squad.

arnie
01-28-2017, 07:30 AM

He played with Chris Washburn. Two potentially great players that had no business enrolling at State or any other school. Would disciplinarians in their lives have helped; who knows, but the waste of their collective abilities is so sad.

ipatent
01-29-2017, 01:56 PM
State had a lot of pro caliber athletes back then, basketball and football.

sagegrouse
01-29-2017, 02:07 PM
I think his career was actually wedged in the years right between those guys. Webb finished in the spring of 1985, Shackleford started in the fall of 1985 and left after the spring of 1988, and Gugs started in the fall of 1988. But yes, the amphibian was not on the State championship squad.

He was on the team that won the ACC's as a sixth seed in 1987 at Landover, Md.

PackMan97
01-29-2017, 04:11 PM
I had my little one honor Shackleford today. He had fun doing it. Unfortunately, now he thinks he can breathe under water.

Reilly
01-29-2017, 10:17 PM
He was on the team that won the ACC's as a sixth seed in 1987 at Landover, Md.

Duke played State in the 9 pm game on the opening Friday that year ... and scored all of 15 points in the first half, if I recall correctly. That can't be right, can it? I'll leave to others to verify.

My day started early that morning (after a 3-hour car ride) walking a loop around the Cap Center, where I bumped into Moses Malone (on The Bullets, waiting for the bus for a road trip game).

Sad to think of Moses and Shack both now gone -- bookend big men to that day for me.