PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Wake Forest (1/28, 3:00pm ET, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
01-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Put your thoughts in this thread.

See TV info by awhom here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39299-TV-Information-for-Wake-Forest-Game-(including-freely-available-Official-Stream)).

You can also stream the game online at theacc.com here (http://www.theacc.com/game-center/57f3cfe7e4b0dcabe018eef5).

BandAlum83
01-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Go Duke!!!!

DieHard
01-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Talented Wake team learning how to win consistently. Talented Duke team learning how to win consistently. Should be a great game, and I have not given up on this group. GO DUKE!

NM Duke Fan
01-26-2017, 07:41 PM
With Coach K's recent firm disciplinary action, I am now more excited about this game than I even was before. Really looking for defensive intensity for the full game, and on offense a more effective behavior of the team getting the ball to the player with the best shot and in a timely manner. I look for Bolden to continue his recent intensity and for Luke to get more shots. Hopefully Amile can play a bit closer to his full potential with the further recovery time, although that can be tricky with practice ongoing as well. And of course, who knows, perhaps we will see a particular Coach back for this game ...

jv001
01-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Maybe Coach K told Grayson he wanted to see the 2016 Grayson and he wants to see the fire back in his play. If the guys don't have the energy in this game, I don't know what will get them going. My biggest worry is Amile's health. We need him close to 100%. GoDuke!

Devilwin
01-26-2017, 08:53 PM
With Coach K's recent firm disciplinary action, I am now more excited about this game than I even was before. Really looking for defensive intensity for the full game, and on offense a more effective behavior of the team getting the ball to the player with the best shot and in a timely manner. I look for Bolden to continue his recent intensity and for Luke to get more shots. Hopefully Amile can play a bit closer to his full potential with the further recovery time, although that can be tricky with practice ongoing as well. And of course, who knows, perhaps we will see a particular Coach back for this game ...

Scott Hamilton reports K will not coach against Wake. But hey, maybe he don't know everything.:eek:

Tripping William
01-26-2017, 09:25 PM
I'll be watching in the chalet. Folks here in Switzerland are pretty optimistic about the Deacs' chances. As they should be; Duke regularly struggles over here. That said, Wake reminds me of Charlie Brown and the football. My money's on Lucy this time.

jv001
01-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Wake has looked pretty good this season in the few games I've watched on TV. They have decent guard play and they don't have Thomas(graduated) in the front court. I think he hurt them far more than he helped them. That alone should make them better. It comes down to how bad Duke wants the game. They should be excited about winning their first ACC game away from home. GoDuke!

MrPoon
01-27-2017, 11:54 AM
We all love discussing the Xs and Os of this team.
But for this game, I am looking forward to K's thumb print (boot print) to be more evident. This is a young team who read all the preseason headlines now have been struggling to adjust to the challenging reality of this unique/challenging/unexpected season. What is clear to me is the talent and skill are enough for a much better record. The psychology and execution is what is missing (in that order). A road game may be the perfect place to force this team to toughen up.

Can't wait to see them respond.
K doesn't get these ploys wrong very often and I doubt he did here either. Almost feel sorry for Wake.:)
Over/under of GA points is 18, he may come out with a Duke Uni with "He Hate Me" on the back.

gofurman
01-27-2017, 02:45 PM
We all love discussing the Xs and Os of this team.
But for this game, I am looking forward to K's thumb print (boot print) to be more evident. This is a young team who read all the preseason headlines now have been struggling to adjust to the challenging reality of this unique/challenging/unexpected season. What is clear to me is the talent and skill are enough for a much better record. The psychology and execution is what is missing (in that order). A road game may be the perfect place to force this team to toughen up.

Can't wait to see them respond.
K doesn't get these ploys wrong very often and I doubt he did here either. Almost feel sorry for Wake.:)
Over/under of GA points is 18, he may come out with a Duke Uni with "He Hate Me" on the back.

Ill only feel sorry for Wake... never. I want to WIN. Y - agree on the psychology but a few X and Os. Are Wakes guards super fast break-you-down guys? Collins is a load inside - that was a real find by Manning. Dude is gettin' a 17/9 or so a game now and improving - could be a super 4 years player maybe. I watched and the way he gets the boards I thought he was closer to 7'0 They list him at 6'10". He is impressive. One of the best big men in the ACC. Woods getting a 12p/3assist and Crawford w a 15pt / 6assist avg !

All three of those guys are Sophs. Wake could be a decent team next year w all three Juniors.
*Anyway, do either of Crawford or Woods really break you down like a CJ McCollum or Dennis Smith Jr?? Those type guys are our struggle right now. Ill live w just perimeter passes and shooting.

Please inform me !

jv001
01-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Ill only feel sorry for Wake... never. I want to WIN. Y - agree on the psychology but a few X and Os. Are Wakes guards super fast break-you-down guys? Collins is a load inside - that was a real find by Manning. Dude is gettin' a 17/9 or so a game now and improving - could be a super 4 years player maybe. I watched and the way he gets the boards I thought he was closer to 7'0 They list him at 6'10". He is impressive. One of the best big men in the ACC. Woods getting a 12p/3assist and Crawford w a 15pt / 6assist avg !

All three of those guys are Sophs. Wake could be a decent team next year w all three Juniors.
*Anyway, do either of Crawford or Woods really break you down like a CJ McCollum or Dennis Smith Jr?? Those type guys are our struggle right now. Ill live w just perimeter passes and shooting.

Please inform me !

In the games that I saw none of their guards are in the class of CJ or Dennis. Two other guards that get a lot of play; Childress(son of Randolph) and Wilbekin. They are not quite as good as Crawford. One of the games that I saw, Crawford was in foul trouble throughout the game. As you say, Collins is a good front court player. However he had a terrible game against(you guest it) the Cheats. We'll need to bring our A game or we will probably leave Winston Salem with a loss. GoDuke!

KandG
01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Interesting that Featherston took the contrarian route and thought Duke might lose at Wake but against all logic win at Notre Dame. I think a split is likely this weekend (assuming Amile's health is alright) but the win seems more likely at Wake. I'm not sure our defense is yet at the point that it can handle ND's offense, though I would love to be surprised.

I've played the role of cautious optimist through most of the recent threads, but if we do lose both games this weekend (definitely a possibility), I think 9-9 or 8-10 is the most likely scenario for our conference record. That's as panicky as I'll get for now....starting 0-5 on the road in the ACC is a steep hill to climb. Really hoping for some improvement in our ball movement, our defense, our overall play, and most of all the collective attitude.

CDu
01-27-2017, 04:40 PM
The Deacs are led by a pair of sophomore studs in Collins and Crawford and a transfer sophomore Woods. They are both stars. Collins (6'10", 235lb soph) is the man in the middle for them. He averages 17 and 9 and is quite likely to make an All-ACC team this year. The only issue for him is fouls (3.1 per 24.8 minutes). But he will be a load inside. Crawford (6'3", 200lb soph) is a combo guard who runs the show. He averages 14.6 ppg, 5.9 apg, and 3.9 rpg and leads the team in minutes. Crawford is very strong and athletic, and he's made great improvements this year in taking over the playmaker duties (A/TO ratio over over 2 this year after being just over 1 last year). He isn't in the same category as Dennis Smith, Jr, but he is still really good. Woods (6'3", 205lb soph transfer from Charlotte) is more of the same - strong, athletic combo guard - but he is a better shooter (45% from 3). Woods and Crawford do the heavy lifting in terms of running the offense and shot creation. They'll be a handful.

Joining Collins inside is Mitoglou (6'10", 255lb junior from Greece). Mitoglou is kind of a poor man's, beefier version of Ryan Kelly. He can certainly bang inside, but he also likes to step away from the basket and shoot 3s. About half of his FG attempts come from beyond the arc, and he is a career 34% shooter from out there. Backing those two guys up is Doral Moore (7'1", 265lb soph). Moore is big and physical and makes his presence known, averaging 13 points, 12 rebounds, 4+ blocks, and 10 fouls per 40 minutes. If there is action to be had around the basket, he'll be involved when he is in there. The Deacs will also spend about 15 or so minutes going small at PF too.

On the wings, the Deacs start Austin Arians (6'6", 230lb grad transfer from Milwaukee). Arians is a pretty strong kid with a nice shooting touch (40% from 3, 90% from FT line). He doesn't contribute a lot besides his floor spacing though, averaging just 2 rebounds and 1 assist in his 24 mpg. Arians will play up a spot as needed when the Deacs go small. And Crawford and Woods are a bit interchangeable as PG or wing players. As needed, Greg McClinton (6'7", 200lb junior) can fill in for minutes here and there. McClinton is a nice barometer for Wake's improvement, as his minutes have declined each year as Wake has gotten better. McClinton rarely touches the ball on offense, and has no assists and just 20 FGA and 5 FTA in 140 minutes. He's kind of the definition of minutes-filler.

In terms of the guards, Woods and Crawford play the most minutes (30 mpg each) and share the lead guard duties. Behind them are a pair of littles. Wilbekin (6'2", 175lb junior and the brother of Scottie Wilbekin) is a shooter. He shoots 41% from 3 and 89% from the line. But he doesn't take many shots inside (about 2/3 of his FGA are 3s), doesn't shoot 2s well (27%), and thus doesn't get to the line much (about 1 FTA per game). Like Arians, he mainly provides floor spacing for Collins, Crawford, and Woods. In addition to Wilbekin, Childress (6'0", 190lb frosh and son of Randolph). Childress hasn't shown his dad's ability just yet. He shoots just 34% from the field. He can get to the line though, averaging about 5 FTA per 40 minutes.

Wake plays at roughly the same pace as Duke. They are sort of like a better version of NC State in that they are a good offensive team (#12 nationally in Pomeroy) and a bad defensive team (#128). Hopefully we show up focus and ready, because if we play with the same lack of discipline/focus as we did against NC State then we will likely lose. But at the same time, we have a clear talent advantage.

If Jefferson is playing, then I think one of the interesting matchups will be Arians trying to guard Tatum. Arians will be at a serious athletic disadvantage there. So hopefully this is a matchup that we can exploit successfully. I think that Allen/Jackson/Jones will spend as much time as possible on Woods and Crawford. Kennard will hopefully spend his time primarily on Wilbekin. Where things get interesting is how we decide to defend inside. Do we put Jefferson on Collins? Or will we go with Bolden and Giles on Collins and let Jefferson track Mitoglou?

gofurman
01-27-2017, 10:46 PM
In the games that I saw none of their guards are in the class of CJ or Dennis. Two other guards that get a lot of play; Childress(son of Randolph) and Wilbekin. They are not quite as good as Crawford. One of the games that I saw, Crawford was in foul trouble throughout the game. As you say, Collins is a good front court player. However he had a terrible game against(you guest it) the Cheats. We'll need to bring our A game or we will probably leave Winston Salem with a loss. GoDuke!

Wake is good. They almost cameo back from down 16 or so to UNC. They beat State on the road etc. they are playing pretty well and Isee them being good next year - the big three of Collins, Crawford and Woods are all sophomore. They have a future that is looking better

jv001
01-27-2017, 10:56 PM
The Deacs are led by a pair of sophomore studs in Collins and Crawford and a transfer sophomore Woods. They are both stars. Collins (6'10", 235lb soph) is the man in the middle for them. He averages 17 and 9 and is quite likely to make an All-ACC team this year. The only issue for him is fouls (3.1 per 24.8 minutes). But he will be a load inside. Crawford (6'3", 200lb soph) is a combo guard who runs the show. He averages 14.6 ppg, 5.9 apg, and 3.9 rpg and leads the team in minutes. Crawford is very strong and athletic, and he's made great improvements this year in taking over the playmaker duties (A/TO ratio over over 2 this year after being just over 1 last year). He isn't in the same category as Dennis Smith, Jr, but he is still really good. Woods (6'3", 205lb soph transfer from Charlotte) is more of the same - strong, athletic combo guard - but he is a better shooter (45% from 3). Woods and Crawford do the heavy lifting in terms of running the offense and shot creation. They'll be a handful.

Joining Collins inside is Mitoglou (6'10", 255lb junior from Greece). Mitoglou is kind of a poor man's, beefier version of Ryan Kelly. He can certainly bang inside, but he also likes to step away from the basket and shoot 3s. About half of his FG attempts come from beyond the arc, and he is a career 34% shooter from out there. Backing those two guys up is Doral Moore (7'1", 265lb soph). Moore is big and physical and makes his presence known, averaging 13 points, 12 rebounds, 4+ blocks, and 10 fouls per 40 minutes. If there is action to be had around the basket, he'll be involved when he is in there. The Deacs will also spend about 15 or so minutes going small at PF too.

On the wings, the Deacs start Austin Arians (6'6", 230lb grad transfer from Milwaukee). Arians is a pretty strong kid with a nice shooting touch (40% from 3, 90% from FT line). He doesn't contribute a lot besides his floor spacing though, averaging just 2 rebounds and 1 assist in his 24 mpg. Arians will play up a spot as needed when the Deacs go small. And Crawford and Woods are a bit interchangeable as PG or wing players. As needed, Greg McClinton (6'7", 200lb junior) can fill in for minutes here and there. McClinton is a nice barometer for Wake's improvement, as his minutes have declined each year as Wake has gotten better. McClinton rarely touches the ball on offense, and has no assists and just 20 FGA and 5 FTA in 140 minutes. He's kind of the definition of minutes-filler.

In terms of the guards, Woods and Crawford play the most minutes (30 mpg each) and share the lead guard duties. Behind them are a pair of littles. Wilbekin (6'2", 175lb junior and the brother of Scottie Wilbekin) is a shooter. He shoots 41% from 3 and 89% from the line. But he doesn't take many shots inside (about 2/3 of his FGA are 3s), doesn't shoot 2s well (27%), and thus doesn't get to the line much (about 1 FTA per game). Like Arians, he mainly provides floor spacing for Collins, Crawford, and Woods. In addition to Wilbekin, Childress (6'0", 190lb frosh and son of Randolph). Childress hasn't shown his dad's ability just yet. He shoots just 34% from the field. He can get to the line though, averaging about 5 FTA per 40 minutes.

Wake plays at roughly the same pace as Duke. They are sort of like a better version of NC State in that they are a good offensive team (#12 nationally in Pomeroy) and a bad defensive team (#128). Hopefully we show up focus and ready, because if we play with the same lack of discipline/focus as we did against NC State then we will likely lose. But at the same time, we have a clear talent advantage.

If Jefferson is playing, then I think one of the interesting matchups will be Arians trying to guard Tatum. Arians will be at a serious athletic disadvantage there. So hopefully this is a matchup that we can exploit successfully. I think that Allen/Jackson/Jones will spend as much time as possible on Woods and Crawford. Kennard will hopefully spend his time primarily on Wilbekin. Where things get interesting is how we decide to defend inside. Do we put Jefferson on Collins? Or will we go with Bolden and Giles on Collins and let Jefferson track Mitoglou?

I like Amile on Collins and not on Mitoglou because I don't want Amile that far away from the basket. We're going to need Amile to gather rebounds. But it is possible that Amile tracks Mitoglou because he can get the Wake crowd going with his 3 point shooting. Good write up on the Deacs. GoDuke!

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Appreciate the excellent summary. The Deacs shoot .767 on FTs(all top 7 guys in minutes are over .700). Go Duke!

jv001
01-28-2017, 09:52 AM
One other thing Duke will have to watch for is the lob at the basket to any of: Collins 6'10", Mitoglou 6'10" and Moore 7'1". I've seen them do this 2 or 3 times in the games I've watched. I'm sure Coach Capel has shown the team video and they are aware of it, but the team still needs to execute on defense to stop those plays. This is going to be an interesting game. GoDuke!

mattman91
01-28-2017, 10:04 AM
If we lose to Wake I will cut off all of my hair.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Do the guys get to wear Duke uniforms this game?
Love, Ima

MrPoon
01-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Love, Ima

If they loose to Wake, I'm worried we'll show up to South Bend with the bunny suit Ralphie wore in A Christmas Story.

Doria
01-28-2017, 11:09 AM
If they loose to Wake, I'm worried we'll show up to South Bend with the bunny suit Ralphie wore in A Christmas Story.

I'm not sure whether to be horrified or amused by this mental image. I guess it can be two things...

91_92_01_10_15
01-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Focus. I remember this as a buzzword from early in K's career. We focus today. We play every play. We will be fine.

Let's go, Duke!

devildeac
01-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Love, Ima

Most likely, yes:rolleyes:. But, if we wore c*rolina jerseys, maybe the Deacs would roll over for us like they often do for the cheaters. (And yes, I know they made it a fairly close game recently.)

Troublemaker
01-28-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm a little bit worried about the pick and pop for Mitoglou in this game. It's really hard to hedge when the screener can shoot threes. We might have to switch and end up in a mismatch.

In general, our pick-and-roll coverage will have to change a bit to account for Mitoglou's shooting ability.

Doria
01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm a little bit worried about the pick and pop for Mitoglou in this game. It's really hard to hedge when the screener can shoot threes. We might have to switch and end up in a mismatch.

In general, our pick-and-roll coverage will have to change a bit to account for Mitoglou's shooting ability.

Yeah, I think last year we benefited from not letting anyone go off for a career game (I believe Devin Thomas helped us, also). But Grayson's game didn't hurt. Would love to see a similar result from him, not necessarily in point totals, but just in getting the groove back.

BandAlum83
01-28-2017, 12:01 PM

You don't have hair.

Am I right?

superdave
01-28-2017, 12:08 PM
I dont really know what to expect today. This team needs to mature quickly. I think that could mean heavier minutes for the vets, and heavier instruction for the freshmen.

The only thing I really want to see today is defensive intensity.

mattman91
01-28-2017, 12:13 PM
You don't have hair.

Am I right?

It is actually pretty long. 2 1/2 years of growth...time to donate anyway.

-bdbd
01-28-2017, 12:47 PM

Won't that lead to a lot of chafing in certain areas?

:eek:

jipops
01-28-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm with the prediction thay we drop this game and finally win at ND. I'm just not confident our defense will be there against Wake's offense and their front court won't have any problems scoring in and around the paint. It's after today's game I see us going into full desperation mode just to get a tournament bid.

Doria
01-28-2017, 01:52 PM
I'm with the prediction thay we drop this game and finally win at ND. I'm just not confident our defense will be there against Wake's offense and their front court won't have any problems scoring in and around the paint. It's after today's game I see us going into full desperation mode just to get a tournament bid.

I might have agreed, had Notre Dame not just lost. I can't believe they won't be motivated after that.

mr. synellinden
01-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Stephen Wiseman just tweeted that Amile arrived wearing a boot.

Troublemaker
01-28-2017, 01:54 PM

Notre Dame will slice us up worse if we can't defend Wake.

Has a traditional post player really burned us yet this season? Our issue is opposing guards.

OldPhiKap
01-28-2017, 02:08 PM

I'll have to find the "Eat Me" cake costume I wore to the football game, and point the Lincoln west.

Devilwin
01-28-2017, 02:10 PM
BR says players showed up wearing Duke gear..

devildeac
01-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Stephen Wiseman just tweeted that Amile arrived wearing a boot.

If he's wearing a boot on the sidelines, then I'll be worried. :(

fisheyes
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
My daughter is at the game as says that he is warming up!

Devilwin
01-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Tar Holes down 22 in second half vs Miami.

jv001
01-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Tar Heels down 22 in second half vs Miami.

Wrong thread. :cool: GoDuke!

-jk
01-28-2017, 02:41 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Edouble
01-28-2017, 02:46 PM
BR says players showed up wearing Duke gear..

Who is BR?

riverside6
01-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Wake, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-wake-forest-basketball-live-stats-01282017

mattman91
01-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Wake, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-wake-forest-basketball-live-stats-01282017

Answers the Amile question...

WVDUKEFAN
01-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Is Coach K back?

WVDUKEFAN
01-28-2017, 03:01 PM
The game is on "this" channel. It channel 188 on Comcast.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Tar Heels down 22 in second half vs Miami.

Never the wrong thread!

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 03:19 PM
I missed the beginning. Who started the game?

BlueandWhite
01-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Never the wrong thread!

Second foul call on Kennard was a pile of garbage. I'm not optimistic about the officiating today.

TruBlu
01-28-2017, 03:26 PM
The refs better have an emergency spare whistle. They are going to wear their initial whistles out in the first half (both ways).

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Hard to get into a rhythm with so many whistles!

kshepinthehouse
01-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Awful shot selection.

TruBlu
01-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Definitely not pretty basketball.

dukelion
01-28-2017, 03:36 PM
This is gross basketball from both sides.

smh

kshepinthehouse
01-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Why is Bolden parked on the bench?

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 03:37 PM
What a brick fest, little effective passing, quick 3 pointers, some poor decisions by Matt. Just not in a synergy or rhythm. They started out with some better passing, then it slowly ebbed away.What a scoring drought and mistake onslaught. At least the game is tight!

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Is it safe to say that Jeff Capel has resoundedly failed his audition to be the next Duke head coach

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 03:38 PM
This is gross basketball from both sides.

smhI couldn't agree more. If I wasn't a Duke fan I'd have changed the channel already. Frustrating to watch your team struggle.

arnie
01-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Awful shot selection.

I guess Wake has the best defense in the history of NCAA bball. How else to explain the dysfunction I'm watching.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Offense: Guard drives into the lane gets up into the air passes out to the three-point line miss shot.

Defense: ole.

Not seeing much of a positive result from the meeting at K's house.

dukelion
01-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Man Matt is streaky

heyman25
01-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Man Matt is streaky

0-5 from the field for Matt Jones.

TruBlu
01-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Four Duke players with 2 fouls with 8 minutes left in first half. Wake in the double bonus. Ugly.

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Man Matt is streaky

I think streaky is being generous. Dude's just not a good shooter, period.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Opposing team gets tons of lay up practice when they play us.

heyman25
Kennard is not getting the ball enough . Only 3 shots in the 1st half. I can't see the game.

CDu
I think streaky is being generous. Dude's just not a good shooter, period.

His career 3pt shooting % would beg to differ.

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 03:51 PM
After Tatum's missed rebound on the FT and suboptimal effort on defense to let the Wake player get an easy layup he needs to watch the game for a while

Indoor66
01-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Not even fun to watch.

I may have figured out what tractor offense is. 😢

NYBri
01-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Telling play was early in the game...Duke lane violation on the first free throw of a two shot foul.

dukelion
01-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Same issues on defense but now the offense looks broken.

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Today this does not look like an NCAA tournament team ...

NYBri
Another lay up.

heyman25
Wake Forest shooting over 50% tells me Duke defense is still not together.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Borderline NIT, sadly at the moment.

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm not a glass half empty kind of guy but man it sure looks like the wheels are coming off. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck.

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 03:58 PM
His career 3pt shooting % would beg to differ.

Stop it dude, his career FG percentage is 40%. That's not 3's by the way, which I'm sure is lower. He shoots 67% from the FT line.

CDu
01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Stop it dude, his career FG percentage is 40%. That's not 3's by the way, which I'm sure is lower. He shoots 67% from the FT line.

His career 3pt% is 37.7%. That is a good %.

Doria
01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Wake Forest shooting over 50% tells me Duke defense is still not together.

Since the offense isn't either, that basically means Duke isn't together in general. Sigh.

fuse
01-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Pretty sure this "team" isn't seeing the inside of the Duke locker room anytime soon.

No heart, no pride, no fight.
What a Bizzarro world season so far.

arnie

I'd guess no chance this is tourney team unless K comes back now. The play Capel drew up at end of half tells all. At least this season keeps Duke from making huge mistake when K leaves.

The players aren't responding to Capel.

ncexnyc
Another poor close to a half and all I can say about the defense is ole.

Skydog
2016: 41.5% from 3, 74% ft. Not great on 2's though.

TKG
01-28-2017, 04:01 PM
I can't see the game.

Count your blessings.

NYBri
This is the strangest season. I think we played better as a team in the Blue-White scrimmage.

Down 10 at half scoring 32 points?

Something is seriously wrong here. This team has completely digressed.

Kfanarmy
Kennard is not getting the ball enough . Only 3 shots in the 1st half. I can't see the game.

He isn't taking some that he should...playing tentative on O.

Doria
01-28-2017, 04:02 PM
On the plus side, Grayson's looking better than I've seen him in a while.

CameronBlue
01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
His career 3pt% is 37.7%. That is a good %.

This back and forth about Matt is not going anywhere. For this game however it can be said that Duke sorely leads Senior Leadership and Matt has not produced. Maybe he'll pick it up in the 2nd half.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Seems safe to say that this team has some serious issues. Really disappointed to see the poor defensive effort AGAIN - especially after K supposedly laid down the law. I will say that the ridiculously quick whistles and phantom fouls haven't helped much, either.

fuse
01-28-2017, 04:05 PM
I'd guess no chance this is tourney team unless K comes back now. The play Capel drew up at end of half tells all. At least this season keeps Duke from making huge mistake when K leaves.

The players aren't responding to Capel.

Maybe its too Wooden old school- the players have to play. I'm not ready to put any of this on Capel.

Put it on injuries, distractions, lack of on court leadership, cohesion and defense. Something is pretty broken because this looked like both a strong offense and defensive team through the Kansas game. No doubt a lot has changed since then. To me, this mostly looks like a bunch of guys that don't enjoy playing with each other very much.

I wish this team could bottle Frank Jackson's attitude and play with a little fire and chip on their shoulder.

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 04:06 PM
I see no effective leadership, neither on the bench nor on the court. Matt looks lost today to me. Greyson at least is more aggressive with his offense, that is about the sum of the positives that come to mind.

bluenorth
Just ugly basketball. The refs obviously did not get the memo - all those people in the stands are NOT there to watch you. They'd like to see a basketball game, not a free throw shooting demonstration. But that doesn't excuse what the players are doing either. After having early success going inside, why settle for so many 3s, especially early in a possession? Very frustrating to watch.

Spanarkel
I nominate Jack White. He played 3 minutes, blocked out on the boards and stayed close to his man on defense, and seemed to hustle.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 04:07 PM
From my perspective, I think the worst injury we've had is the GOAT's.

TKG
01-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Maybe its too Wooden old school- the players have to play. I'm not ready to put any of this on Capel.

Put it on injuries, distractions, lack of on court leadership, cohesion and defense. Something is pretty broken because this looked like both a strong offense and defensive team through the Kansas game. No doubt a lot has changed since then. To me, this mostly looks like a bunch of guys that don't enjoy playing with each other very much.

I wish this team could bottle Frank Jackson's attitude and play with a little fire and chip on their shoulder.

Makes you wonder what the team talked about in the players-only meeting after the State game.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Just ugly basketball. The refs obviously did not get the memo - all those people in the stands are NOT there to watch you.

Or to watch a Wake lay up drill.

TruBlu
01-28-2017, 04:09 PM
From my perspective, I think the worst injury we've had is the GOAT's.

Well, my optimism is seriously hurt.

kshepinthehouse
01-28-2017, 04:10 PM
What is Giles plus minus on the year? My guess is a net negative. I don't think he helps us much. Especially when Wakes big clumsy backup center catches the ball, takes one step, and dunks on him.

arnie

If you decide Capel has no impact on the team's play or attitude as an interim, OK. But he's certainly not making any points in the next head coach selection process.

kmspeaks
Second foul call on Kennard was a pile of garbage. I'm not optimistic about the officiating today.

The refs better have an emergency spare whistle. They are going to wear their initial whistles out in the first half (both ways).

Hard to get into a rhythm with so many whistles!

Definitely not pretty basketball.

bluenorth
I nominate Jack White. He played 3 minutes, blocked out on the boards and stayed close to his man on defense, and seemed to hustle.

I liked what I saw of White too. The art of the blockout is not totally dead! And he seemed to understand his role on offense. He'll be a good four year player for the team.

Saratoga2
01-28-2017, 04:11 PM
With Wake represented as an average defensive game at best, it makes one wonder why we think its necessary to take so many 3's and especially when they are taken early in the clock. I realize our defense is really weak, but why can't we execute better on the offensive end?

jv001
01-28-2017, 04:11 PM
It seems that our guys don't have quick reaction on defense. They play with their arms down and I know they can't be tired. The are getting time to rest with all the foul calls. GoDuke!

jv001
01-28-2017, 04:13 PM
With Wake represented as an average defensive game at best, it makes one wonder why we think its necessary to take so many 3's and especially when they are taken early in the clock. I realize our defense is really weak, but why can't we execute better on the offensive end?

Agree, and with the way the refs are blowing their whistles, we could get some foul calls. I'm hoping Matt get's hot this half. GoDuke!

6th Man
Both sides of the ball were pathetic in the 1st half. There is no semblance of offense or defense.

bluenorth
What is Giles plus minus on the year? My guess is a net negative. I don't think he helps us much. Especially when Wakes big clumsy backup center catches the ball, takes one step, and dunks on him.

Agreed. Even knowing his injury history etc., I'd expect more from such a highly rated player.

BlueandWhite
He isn't taking some that he should...playing tentative on O.

Kennard is the best player on this team. He can't be just another scoring option. He needs to be made PG for the rest of the season, starting now. 35 minutes a game minimum, every single game, running the offense.

Number of TO's in the first half: ridiculous.

Defense: below average for ANY team, let alone Duke. Their defensive play that half was lackadaisical, little intensity, poor communication.

magjayran
01-28-2017, 04:14 PM
I guess I just expect Duke to play with a certain amount of passion. This team doesn't. I've gone from mad to sad. Bob Harris deserves better.

Ballboy1998
01-28-2017, 04:16 PM
While the score is 100% on Duke for lackluster effort and play, I am ever amazed at Ted Valentine's ability to call so many inconsequential and dubious fouls while at the same time missing so many obvious calls -- both ways. The next game with good flow officiated by Valentine will be the first.

Hopefully we figure something out in the second half, but this team is very much running out of time for things to click.

SlapTheFloor
01-28-2017, 04:17 PM
This is looking pretty bad. Assuming we don't suddenly remember how to play in the second half, we will be 3-5 after this game with a game on Monday at Notre Dame. So, most likely, by Tuesday we will be 3-6 in the conference play. Winning the ACC regular season will be almost impossible, and we will be venturing down toward the tournament bubble.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Allen throws away inbound pass.

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Grayson and Kennard are keeping us alive. Just keep feeding them.

Coballs
01-28-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to think purchasing a non-refundable flight to Phoenix was not my brightest idea. 😣

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 04:20 PM
While the score is 100% on Duke for lackluster effort and play, I am ever amazed at Ted Valentine's ability to call so many inconsequential and dubious fouls while at the same time missing so many obvious calls -- both ways. The next game with good flow officiated by Valentine will be the first.

Hopefully we figure something out in the second half, but this team is very much running out of time for things to click.

I'm honored to be able to watch a game with a lane violation and palming call, as well as dubious fouls on LK(his second)and AJ(his third). Thanks, Ted.

dukelion
01-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Another reality is that this is the worst Duke 3pt shooting team in almost a decade.

With the type of offense we play that's going to lead to some issue.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 04:24 PM
That exchange tells the story. Allen drives, gets in the air, throws it away and fast break 3 pt lay up,

kshepinthehouse
01-28-2017, 04:25 PM
I wish Harry would play post defense behind his man with the ball and just put his hands straight up.

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Allen throws away inbound pass.

That play seems emblematic of the season.

Bluedog
01-28-2017, 04:27 PM
That exchange tells the story. Allen drives, gets in the air, throws it away and fast break 3 pt lay up,

On a "foul" where Tatum intentionally got out of the way to give up the layup, but somehow still got called....

DaleDuke7
01-28-2017, 04:31 PM

You make a really good point about them not enjoying playing together. Many of our great teams were closer than brothers. While it's not essential for a team to like each other to play well together, (as K has said before) it would mean they would have to put those feelings aside and act like they do in order to be successful. Not sure if they can or are willing to do that.

Not sure yet if Capel deserves any blame. While I do think having K back would make a big difference, we can't expect Capel to be anywhere near the Coach that K is. And Capel can't make the players listen to his advice and execute.

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Matt Jones is killing us.

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Wake in the bonus at 12:56😳

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 04:34 PM
8 on 5 tough to beat!

WakeDevil
TV Ted strikes again.

Coballs
Vrank in over Bolden?!?!

edit: Vrank in over Bolden!!!!

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Who else would like to see Capel straight up just walk out on the floor and slug Teddy V?

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm glad Allen stood up for himself there. If he didn't then the refs would've done nothing to the Wake Forest player. I understand Allen brought it on himself but it's not just open season on him from other players.

WakeDevil
01-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Who else would like to see Capel straight up just walk out on the floor and slug Teddy V?

Maybe a former IU coach is in the stands and would assist us.

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 04:39 PM
This feels alot like that othet Wake game in WS that ended up fouling out multiple Duke players.

pfrduke
01-28-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm not convinced Tim Brando knows what any of our players look like.

ChrisP
I'm glad Allen stood up for himself there. If he didn't then the refs would've done nothing to the Wake Forest player. I understand Allen brought it on himself but it's not just open season on him from other players.

Totally agree but...you just know this will spur a whole 'nother round of Grayson/Duke hate at ESPN

arnie

I generally refuse to blame refs in any sport. However, today they are atrocious.

pfrduke
This feels alot like that othet Wake game in WS that ended up fouling out multiple Duke players.

Was just thinking that. We fouled out 5 in 2003, but that at least went to OT. Might beat it in regulation today

Spanarkel
01-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Maybe a former IU coach is in the stands and would assist us.

Valentine had every opportunity to call that last mugging on Jayson's drive and he stood there and watched. I would like to know how Valentine was allowed to stay on the baseline for several Wake offensive possessions in a row, including the phantom fourth foul on HG? Thought the refs were supposed to rotate.

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 04:41 PM
On a "foul" where Tatum intentionally got out of the way to give up the layup, but somehow still got called...

And after the uncalled bump that knocked Grayson off balance.

Ballboy1998
01-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Teddy Valentine never ceases to outdo himself. Sadly, we dug ourselves into such a hole that we can't afford to have bad calls go against us over and over again. Good test of toughness.

On a positive note, really enjoying Vrank's energy and attitude out there.

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Totally agree but...you just know this will spur a whole 'nother round of Grayson/Duke hate at ESPN

They're going to talk about him anyways. Let them. Hopefully this rallies the team around Allen even more and they start playing more together.

indy1duke
01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
These refs are beyond incompetent. It is unbelievable.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me with these refs!!!

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Double fouls: the ultimate ref cop out.

ChrisP
Tatum just...no. Really???

DUKIECB
Tatum never does anything within the offense. His bad shot selection is killing us.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 04:50 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me with these refs!!!

I was thinking you got to be kidding me that someone besides Kennard is taking a shot.

WHOneedsSOX
Double fouls: the ultimate ref cop out.

The "I didn't see what happened but there are two guys on the floor so I'll call a foul on both guys" call.

SupaDave
Tatum's shot selection is still very poor.

He's head is not in the game unless he has the ball.

I just watched him lazily go to his spot as Jones told him where to go.

I'm disappointed.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Maybe I am just a clueless fan (entirely possible) but why, oh WHY does Tatum get so much PT?

wavedukefan70s
Smh on several things.

NYBri
Tatum. Sigh.

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Never mind the two fouls before.

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Tatum gets destroyed repeatedly underneath. No call. Guy sticks his face in and gets hit? Call on Tatum.

indy1duke
Tatum got fouled before he elbowed that guy.

WHOneedsSOX
Ref decided what to call after blowing his whistle there on Tatum's foul. Wanted to call the obvious hold on the Wake player until he saw the Wake player was hit in the face.

BlueandWhite
01-28-2017, 04:55 PM
These refs are beyond incompetent. It is unbelievable.

I posted earlier after Luke's second foul (ridiculous call) that I had a bad feeling about today's officiating--confirmed! Only one ACC ref who was worse than Valentine: the infamous Lenny Wirtz.

Bad sequence earlier with Tatum's fadeaway short off the front of the rim -- take it to the basket strong!! Or pass to Kennard! -- followed by Wake's 3. And now Tatum is done.

We can still win this game. Kennard needs to take over.

ChrisP
Fully expect these jokers in stripes to cuff Tatum and put him in the paddy wagon

TruBlu
Tatum didn't elbow him. The ball hit him.

ncexnyc
Bogus foul call on Tatum.

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 04:56 PM
I posted earlier after Luke's second foul (ridiculous call) that I had a bad feeling about today's officiating--confirmed! Only one ACC ref who was worse than Valentine: the infamous Lenny Wirtz.

Bad sequence earlier with Tatum's fadeaway short off the front of the rim -- take it to the basket strong!! Or pass to Kennard! -- followed by Wake's 3. And now Tatum is done.

We can still win this game. Kennard needs to take over.

Duke will have to get some stops if they want to win this game. Going to have to hold Wake to under 80 points in my opinion.

NYBri
Glad Tatum is seated.

gillmic
I'm glad that the refs have sent Tatum to the bench, because Capel was not going to do it. Tatum has become me may least favorite player in years due to his inability to play team ball or defense.

FerryFor50
Oh goodie. The gameplan from here on out against Duke will be to try and physically punk them every game.

NYBri
01-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Missed 1&1 is death.

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Why no techs on wake?

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Missed 1&1 is death.

Second time for Kennard.

This game is a perfect opportunity for players to flop like crazy. Just throw yourself backwards when someone touches you and they'll call it.

pfrduke
01-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Missed 1&1 is death.

It feels like a disproportionate number of Luke's misses this year have been on the front end of 1 & 1s. Both misses today have been.

FerryFor50
Someone better get tossed for that.

wavedukefan70s
This is bullcrap..

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 05:01 PM
This is all the refs fault. They have done absolutely nothing to control this game. How the hell can you allow two guys to talk to each other after the whistle when you can obviously see what's going on? Absolutely horrible. Not even talking about the ridiculous fouls called.

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Should be two wake players tossed.woods and childress.

NM Duke Fan
Incredibly ugly game, and then almost a brawl. Allen has got to show better control as well.

WHOneedsSOX
This is bullcrap..

Woods was jawing with Jones a minute prior. Refs do nothing about it. Then Woods tries to start something out of nothing. Guarantee he doesn't get t'd up here.

subzero02
01-28-2017, 05:03 PM
How in the world is wake shooting foul shots???

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 05:04 PM
How in the world is wake shooting foul shots??? Unbelievable

WHOneedsSOX
How in the world is wake shooting foul shots???

Foul on Allen. Duke should get free throws after.

ChrisP
Incredibly ugly game, and then almost a brawl. Allen has got to show better control as well.

What did Grayson do that was wrong???

pfrduke

None of that is on Allen. He fouled a guy but then said and did absolutely nothing before getting tackled by Childress.

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2017, 05:05 PM
How did woods not get a foul on that.

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Man Duke basketball sure is ugly these days.

subzero02
01-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Unreal....this season has finally worn me down a bit. I am beside myself.... can't imagine how the players feel

Bluedog
01-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Lead story ESPN right now : "Allen called for a technical". Haha haha. It's so sad it's comical. His T was a double T, and he just got tackled....

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 05:07 PM
From #1 to NIT.

sbroc012
01-28-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm completely befuddled how Childress did not get ejected for that? And guarantee the ACC won't even look at it.

Ballboy1998
01-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Allen commits a soft common foul, stands still and silent while one uninvolved Wake player comes up and shoves him and another Wake player runs up from behind and suplexes Allen over the Duke bench and the commentators solemnly discuss how Allen has brought it all on himself and whether he should get a second tech (apparently for being suplexed).

The fact that Childress didn't get ejected is an utter joke. The fact that Teddy Valentine is allowed to officiate anything beyond peewee basketball is an utter joke. And Duke's defense is a total joke.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm completely befuddled how Childress did not get ejected for that? And guarantee the ACC won't even look at it.

Agreed! WTH???

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Credit Wake; every time Duke gets close, they hit a big, contested shot to stem the flow.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 05:14 PM
OMG, I would LOOOOOOVE to win this game!

Ballboy1998
Credit Wake; every time Duke gets close, they hit a big, contested shot to stem the flow.

Even if they clearly fail to call bank...

DUKIECB
I'm completely befuddled how Childress did not get ejected for that? And guarantee the ACC won't even look at it. Can you imagine if the roles were reversed? They would have given Grayson the death penalty.

FerryFor50
01-28-2017, 05:15 PM
How is Duke still in this?

Bluedog
01-28-2017, 05:15 PM
ESPN headline: "After a Grayson Allen foul, things got heated and both teams were assessed a technical foul." Is that even true?! Geez, ESPN is pathetic. No T on Duke...

NM Duke Fan
01-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Finally some great passing leading to Allen's 3.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Let's go DUKE!!!!!

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 05:20 PM
If anyone except Kennard or Allen takes the last shot I'm going to lose it.

DUKIECB
01-28-2017, 05:21 PM
YES!!!!!!!!

subzero02
01-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Use that force Luke...

heyman25
01-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Cool Hand Like clutch!
One more stop!

bleedingblue88
01-28-2017, 05:23 PM
What did i just witness, luke is the last jedi

gillmic
01-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Tatum to the bench. Duke comes back. I don't think this is a coincidence.

ncexnyc
01-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Give Giles an assist on that basket.

ChrisP
It is our ball, right? Hope Collins is ok but...gotta be our ball

subzero02
Tatum to the bench. Duke comes back. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Stop that noise...

NM Duke Fan
Hope Collins will be OK, a great player.

Miracles do happen, a road win even if incredibly ugly. Still is some hope. Giles needs to be careful with talking in that sistuation.!

NYBri
Wow.

curtis325
01-28-2017, 05:25 PM
How you like me now!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Big freaking win. HUGE.

ChrisP
01-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Love it. Wake can go to the same place as the cheaters! Hint: It's very warm there

dairedevil
That's got to be one of the ugliest wins in Duke basketball history, but I'll take it!

NYBri
Season saving comeback. Tatum was not on the floor for the comeback.

Edouble
YES!!!!!

NM Duke Fan
As many of us have been saying, Luke needs to be shooting the ball more, one of the best performances in a long time.

sagegrouse
01-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Grand theft!!! Feels so good!!!

scottdude8
As great as that win was, somehow I can't fully enjoy it. Turning Grayson into a villain is draining the fun out of these games and it makes me so furious.

Skydog
Season saving comeback. Tatum was not on the floor for the comeback.

Not a coincidence.

fuse
Hurts to admit bad win.
Hoping this establishes this is Luke's team, and maybe better things can happen for the rest of the season.

CarmenWallaceWade
01-28-2017, 05:28 PM
our offense should run through Luke. every game. period.

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 05:28 PM
As great as that win was, somehow I can't fully enjoy it. Turning Grayson into a villain is draining the fun out of these games and it makes me so furious.

It sucks but it looks like Allen is handling it well. Looks like he's having a bit of fun with it. Screw ESPN and the rest of the media. All that just fuels his teammates to have his back even more.

Edit: Go look at that frozen frame of the scuffle on ESPN right now. Allen is smiling! He's starting to embrace the hate.

Ballboy1998
01-28-2017, 05:29 PM

My best advice is to watch the game on mute and never turn on or load up espn ever again. ESPN: If you can't do, bloviate.

A much needed win. This team needs to play like their back is against the wall for the rest of the year.

WHOneedsSOX
01-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Surprised Jefferson wasn't in at all late in the game there, even when they needed those stops. I guess his injury is worse than I thought.

Kjeffrey
01-28-2017, 05:30 PM
The refs are allowing way too much contact on him by other players. I fear he will get hurt.