PDA

View Full Version : Chris Duhon arrest and resignation

jimsumner
01-26-2017, 09:56 AM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Duke-star-Chris-Duhon-arrested-resigns-at-Marshall-50827309

nathanbryan
01-26-2017, 10:05 AM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Duke-star-Chris-Duhon-arrested-resigns-at-Marshall-50827309

Sad to see. Duhon was an all time great PG for Duke. - Coming from a younger fan. He is the first Duke PG I remember watching play. Hope he is okay.

Fish80
01-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Not good. Hope Chris gets the help he needs.

Indoor66
01-26-2017, 10:13 AM
I pray for Chris to find his way. Only he can make the decision and take the action that will make himself whole.

ScreechTDX1847
01-26-2017, 10:28 AM
I pray for Chris to find his way. Only he can make the decision and take the action that will make himself whole.

Driving with a revoked license - is this really that bad? Presumably, he lost due to DUI/DWI which is what exacerbates the issue?

jimsumner
01-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Driving with a revoked license - is this really that bad? Presumably, he lost due to DUI/DWI which is what exacerbates the issue?

Yes, to all the questions. Lost license to DUI, repeat offender on driving without license.

FadedTackyShirt
01-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Amen. Hindsight is 20/20, but Duhon's alcohol problems were hardly unknown while he was at Duke. He won't get well until he confronts the issue himself. My thoughts and prayers are with Du.

Doria
01-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Sad to see. Hope he gets help, so he can lead a happier, healthier life. Thoughts are with him.

Mike Corey
01-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Amen. Hindsight is 20/20, but Duhon's alcohol problems were hardly unknown while he was at Duke. He won't get well until he confronts the issue himself. My thoughts and prayers are with Du.

Yup.

Chris has done tremendous things for so many, and contributed greatly to Duke. He needs our support; hope we can help, if through nothing else, than to love him now when he needs it most.

Jeffrey
01-26-2017, 11:41 AM

How is this handled in N.C.?

I know of a lady who lost her N.C. license due to DUI/DWI, she keeps right on driving, has been pulled over multiple times for driving with a revoked license, and she still keeps right on driving. I'm surprised, and somewhat concerned, her car has not been impounded and she has not been put in jail. Why revoke someone's license, if nothing serious happens to them for repeatedly driving with a revoked license?

PackMan97
01-26-2017, 11:54 AM

I know of a lady who lost her N.C. license due to DUI/DWI, she keeps right on driving, has been pulled over multiple times for driving with a revoked license, and she still keeps right on driving. I'm surprised, and somewhat concerned, her car has not been impounded and she has not been put in jail. Why revoke someone's license, if nothing serious happens to them for repeatedly driving with a revoked license?

Fines and Court fees are revenue....throwing someone in jail is an expense. That's my cynical take on it.

I loved watching Duhon play as well, it's sad to see how many former athletes end up in these situations. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be unable to practice my chose profession after having dedicated my entire life to it (most of these kids start dreaming about being a college/pro in elementary/middle school). My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who is battling with any form of addiction.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-26-2017, 12:00 PM
I feel like Alice down the rabbit hole. Hardly anything is what it seems anymore.
Love, Ima

Jeffrey
01-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Fines and Court fees are revenue...throwing someone in jail is an expense. That's my cynical take on it.

That appears to be reality, but it sure is not safe for society. It certainly is not a "Protect and Serve" approach.

I've lost track of how many times the N.C. cops have pulled her over while driving with a revoked license. She has had at least two accidents (one reported) during this period.

brlftz
01-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Given that he apparently was sober and just taking the risk of driving without a license, these reactions seem a little over the top.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Sad, unfortunate, and entirely avoidable.

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere else soon, with lesson learned.

Jeffrey
01-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Given that he apparently was sober and just taking the risk of driving without a license, these reactions seem a little over the top.

This is a rather traditional (oral warning, written warning, suspension, termination) progressive discipline approach by Marshall. IIRC, he was suspended, by Marshall, for 2 months less than a year ago. IMO, giving him the option to resign was fair, but also kind.

Steven43
01-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Is he currently an alcoholic? Are you sure of this? That's a strong label to put on someone.

Reilly
01-26-2017, 01:24 PM
... entirely avoidable ...

Per sports-reference.com, Chris made $33 million over 9 years in the NBA. What would it cost to employ a full-time driver, or have Uber on-call 24/7 for the duration of the license suspension?

Jeffrey
01-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Is he currently an alcoholic? Are you sure of this? That's a strong label to put on someone.

Some would say blaming an addiction, instead of the individual, is generous.

brlftz
01-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Some would say blaming an addiction, instead of the individual, is generous.

Why are we even talking about alcohol? It doesn't seem to have played a role in this

English
01-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Per sports-reference.com, Chris made $33 million over 9 years in the NBA. What would it cost to employ a full-time driver, or have Uber on-call 24/7 for the duration of the license suspension?

Uhhhhh, isn't this Uber's business model? It would cost nothing to have Uber on-call. It's a free app.

I spent a lot of time with Duhon at Duke, and he partied perhaps harder than some other D1 athletes and Duke students, but he was definitely not an outlier. I'd suggest that "problems with alcohol in college" is a misguided euphemism for 'the dude liked to party.' FWIW, the basketball players, in large measure (with a couple of exceptions), all partied together and with basically the same vigor.*

*Of course, I did the same, so maybe I just don't remember it all.

Jeffrey
01-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Why are we even talking about alcohol? It doesn't seem to have played a role in this

I agree, there's no reasonable excuse. Hiring a driver, in West Virginia, would have been very affordable for Duhon. I suspect more than one Marshall student would have accepted the opportunity.

rsvman
01-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Because the reason his license was revoked was a DUI. So I'd say that even though he was sober this time around, alcohol clearly played a role. Had it not been for alcohol, he would not have had his license revoked, and therefore would not have been driving while his license was revoked.

brlftz
01-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Because the reason his license was revoked was a DUI. So I'd say that even though he was sober this time around, alcohol clearly played a role. Had it not been for alcohol, he would not have had his license revoked, and therefore would not have been driving while his license was revoked.

Yes, there's an indirect relation, but this incident specifically did not involve alcohol. I think people are overdramatizing in this thread.

Indoor66
01-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, there's an indirect relation, but this incident specifically did not involve alcohol. I think people are overdramatizing in this thread.

It is possible that there is a history of which you are unaware and that does need to be rehashed on a message board.

jimsumner
01-26-2017, 02:12 PM

Well, he was fired from his job. Seems like some drama might be in order.

Reilly
01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
... What would it cost to employ a full-time driver, or have Uber on-call 24/7 for the duration of the license suspension?

Uhhhhh, isn't this Uber's business model? It would cost nothing to have Uber on-call. It's a free app. ...

I apologize if I confused you with my confusing word usage. I meant to ask what it would cost to have a full-time driver, or what would it cost to use Uber all the time -- not to ask literally what it would cost to have Uber on-call.

ScreechTDX1847
01-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Kind of my position on this as well.

brlftz
01-26-2017, 02:45 PM
It is possible that there is a history of which you are unaware and that does need to be rehashed on a message board.

I'm 100% aware of the history. I'm just disagreeing with the implication that this some kind of relapse

English
01-26-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm 100% aware of the history. I'm just disagreeing with the implication that this some kind of relapse

I think your point (which I agree with) is, not everyone who gets a DUI is an alcoholic. Even those who blow over double the legal limit. And those who repeatedly drive with a revoked license, for whatever revocation reason (including a prior DUI), are also not immediately alcoholics. Especially when no alcohol is involved in the subsequent incidents.

Now, a series of stupid decisions? No question. Punishable? Again, certainly.

Merlindevildog91
01-26-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm not an attorney in WV, but I can tell you in Virginia, driving on a suspended or revoked license not a major deal on the first offense. I heard several years ago from one of our judges that one out of five VA drivers is not properly licensed. A conviction of a third or subsequent offense of driving on a suspended or revoked license, though, requires a mandatory sentence of ten days in jail (i.e., ten days without any time off for good behavior.) Most judges increase the jail time as the number of offenses goes up.

However, driving when one's privilege to drive is revoked for DUI is a much bigger deal. A third conviction within 10 years is a felony.

Legislators may be interested in easing up on the first category, but everyone has a story about someone who was killed by a drunk driver, and no one ever got voted out of office by being tough on DUI and DUI related offenses.

burnspbesq
01-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Just wondering out loud ... the obvious (to me) question is whether this constitutes cause under his employment agreement. If not ...

cato
01-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Just wondering out loud ... the obvious (to me) question is whether this constitutes cause under his employment agreement. If not ...

Isn't everyone an at will employee these days?

OldPhiKap
01-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Didn't he resign?

In any event, there is not a chance that Duhon would bring an action. He messed up; he obviously knows it; time to move on.

CDu
01-26-2017, 05:39 PM

I would imagine there is/was a code of conduct clause in his contract that allows for termination if he commits a crime. But it is irrelevant as he resigned.

Regardless of whether this incident was alcohol-related, he showed poor judgement in breaking the law by driving with a revoked license.

jv001
01-26-2017, 08:11 PM

Several years ago my wife, daughter and I were on the way to church when we were re-ended. The man that hit us did not stop. We called 911 and reported the incident then I proceeded to follow the guy. In the meantime, Highway patrol cars ran him down at Winston Salem State University. He had been drinking and on his way to his daughter's graduation. They took him to jail. When we went to court we found out he was driving without a license because of drunken driving. He got off with a fine. Even though he fled the accident. Some court system we have here in Winston Salem. Now back to our regular broadcast. I will pray for Chris. GoDuke!

Fish80
01-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Several years ago my wife, daughter and I were on the way to church when we were re-ended. The man that hit us did not stop. We called 911 and reported the incident then I proceeded to follow the guy. In the meantime, Highway patrol cars ran him down at Winston Salem State University. He had been drinking and on his way to his daughter's graduation. They took him to jail. When we went to court we found out he was driving without a license because of drunken driving. He got off with a fine. Even though he fled the accident. Some court system we have here in Winston Salem. Now back to our regular broadcast. I will pray for Chris. GoDuke!

Sorry for your troubles. Many many other stories, sadly some much worse. A neighbor's daughter went to jail after an accident that tragically killed an elderly lady. The daughter was DUI.

While I am a big fan of Chris Duhon the Duke basketball player, I understand all too well the tragic consequences of DUI.

His license was suspended for DUI. If indeed he has an alcohol problem, I pray he gets the help he needs.