PDA

View Full Version : Amile's offense?

gofurman
01-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Maybe this belongs in another thread but I have been wondering where has Amiles offense gone? V Florida he had a 24 15. 24 points on so many crafty moves. Allen had a bad game w maybe 6 points. Basically we beat a top 25 UF team w Kennard and Amile and Tatum offense. And that was with no Giles and a very new Bolden

I haven't seen Amile be that crafty around the basket much since then - even pre-injury. Why have we gone away from that ? 24/15 ????? We don't even pass to him in the post much. He was playing at an All-America level in there as a double double machine.

As I said, it appeared to me we just quit giving him solo opportunities in the post pre-injury. I really don't get it. Tatum as a freshman. V Amile as a Senior and our best and nearly-only inside threat? Outside you have Tatum and Grayson and Kennard. Amile is the one who can keep opposing D honest with his moves. The dude is crafty. Thoughts? I don't understand why we have abandoned Amile's beautiful O ?????? I am mystified

MaxAMillion
01-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Maybe this belongs in another thread but I have been wondering where has Amiles offense gone? V Florida he had a 24 15. 24 points on so many crafty moves. Allen had a bad game w maybe 6 points. Basically we beat a top 25 UF team w Kennard and Amile and Tatum offense. And that was with no Giles and a very new Bolden

I haven't seen Amile be that crafty around the basket much since then - even pre-injury. Why have we gone away from that ? 24/15 ????? We don't even pass to him in the post much. He was playing at an All-America level in there as a double double machine.

As I said, it appeared to me we just quit giving him solo opportunities in the post pre-injury. I really don't get it. Tatum as a freshman. V Amile as a Senior and our best and nearly-only inside threat? Outside you have Tatum and Grayson and Kennard. Amile is the one who can keep opposing D honest with his moves. The dude is crafty. Thoughts? I don't understand why we have abandoned Amile's beautiful O ?????? I am mystified

He is hurt...he isn't playing as well as he did before the injury because he can't do it physically. You should go back and look at Amile's numbers each game. He was not a primary option on offense. Most nights he would have 7-8 FG attempts during the game. Even games when he does score, it is as much from hustle and put backs as it is Amile being a low post option. His true value is in his defense and rebounding. It would help if he was 100% but apparently every player on the team will get an injury. I see Jeter now has a back injury. I have never in my life seen one college team with so many injuries (coach included) in one half of a season.

kAzE
01-25-2017, 01:41 AM
Amile definitely needs more touches on offense when he's closer to full strength. He was one of the biggest reasons Luke, and our offense in general, had so much success early in the year. Our ball movement back then seemed to be more on point than it is now, and we we definitely were better with our defensive positioning.

I think we were actually a better overall team early in the season with our 6 man rotation than right now, because Amile, Luke, Grayson, and Matt already knew how to play together. Frank was a good fit for those guys as well, adding another perimeter scoring option.

But then, adding so many new freshmen after the team had established a rhythm has really complicated the situation on both sides of the ball. There's no doubt we can be a better team when everyone is healthy, because Tatum, Giles, and Bolden raise our potential ceiling immensely, but it has taken a lot longer for everyone to learn to play as a team than I had imagined.

jv001
01-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Amile definitely needs more touches on offense when he's closer to full strength. He was one of the biggest reasons Luke, and our offense in general, had so much success early in the year. Our ball movement back then seemed to be more on point than it is now, and we we definitely were better with our defensive positioning.

I think we were actually a better overall team early in the season with our 6 man rotation than right now, because Amile, Luke, Grayson, and Matt already knew how to play together. Frank was a good fit for those guys as well, adding another perimeter scoring option.

But then, adding so many new freshmen after the team had established a rhythm has really complicated the situation on both sides of the ball. There's no doubt we can be a better team when everyone is healthy, because Tatum, Giles, and Bolden raise our potential ceiling immensely, but it has taken a lot longer for everyone to learn to play as a team than I had imagined.

Duke will realize it's potential when Giles, Tatum, Bolden and Frank come close to their ceiling. Much like you said above. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2017, 07:26 AM
He is hurt...he isn't playing as well as he did before the injury because he can't do it physically. You should go back and look at Amile's numbers each game. He was not a primary option on offense. Most nights he would have 7-8 FG attempts during the game. Even games when he does score, it is as much from hustle and put backs as it is Amile being a low post option. His true value is in his defense and rebounding. It would help if he was 100% but apparently every player on the team will get an injury. I see Jeter now has a back injury. I have never in my life seen one college team with so many injuries (coach included) in one half of a season.

He may not have been a "primary" option, but he was getting scores by being passed the ball and then doing some crazy good post move to put up a shot off the glass. In other words, being a low post option. He did get hustle buckets, but he also scored b/c Duke looked to him to score.

Indoor66
01-25-2017, 09:29 AM
He may not have been a "primary" option, but he was getting scores by being passed the ball and then doing some crazy good post move to put up a shot off the glass. In other words, being a low post option. He did get hustle buckets, but he also scored b/c Duke looked to him to score.

No one can score if he doesn't receive the ball in a position from which he can score. We have not been moving the ball with an eye toward entry passes. As a result, we haven't been getting the player movement that results in openings. It has been a static offense.

DukieInBrasil
01-25-2017, 10:32 AM
No one can score if he doesn't receive the ball in a position from which he can score. We have not been moving the ball with an eye toward entry passes. As a result, we haven't been getting the player movement that results in openings. It has been a static offense.

that's true recently, but it was not true at the beginning of the year, which was the claim i was responding to.

Indoor66
01-25-2017, 11:47 AM
that's true recently, but it was not true at the beginning of the year, which was the claim i was responding to.

And I was addressing recent play.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 03:26 PM
And I was addressing recent play.

TWEET!!!

Illegal use of recency bias. F1 violation so 2 beers and possession to the offended poster.

;):rolleyes:

Indoor66
01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
TWEET!!!

Illegal use of recency bias. F1 violation so 2 beers and possession to the offended poster.

;):rolleyes:

Damn M.D. Referees! :mad::cool:

Jeffrey
01-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Damn M.D. Referees! :mad::cool:

Yep, their whole world now seems to be rules, regulations, and red tape. I'm not sure if they are even allowed to have original thought anymore. :D

devildeac
01-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Yep, their whole world now seems to be rules, regulations, and red tape. I'm not sure if they are even allowed to have original thought anymore. :D

Original thoughts are allowed, but only if we obtain prior authorization from the @#$% insurance company :rolleyes::mad: .

Jeffrey
01-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Original thoughts are allowed, but only if we obtain prior authorization from the @#$% insurance company :rolleyes::mad: .

Quickly, delete your post before an insurance executive realizes there is an "Original Thoughts Authorization Form".

Clearly, they're medical experts and do not need your input. Word is some have even slept at a Holiday Inn Express. :D

gofurman
01-25-2017, 10:34 PM

Exactly We at least passed him the ball some. Now he only gets put backs. Reminds me of the singular-perimeter-only Duke teams that often don't do well. Most great teams have at least a threat inside we pass to. Jah, Boozer, Brand. When we fed Amile some w were a better team. It's that simple. I get that he's hurt right now but if he's playing hopefully that means he will again be healthy. It's a good ways until Saturday. Hopefully he feels better. Regardless if he can play D you can pass it to him three or four times on O. We don't even look at him anymore. Dude is so crafty. Top 25 Florida had no answer for him. Reward him!!!!! Pass to him. In terms of O we have 4 threats consistently - Kennard. Allen. Tatum. Jefferson. One of those things is not like the other. He plays the middle and not perimeter. One of them isn't given anything but garbage anymore. He opens it up for the other three!!!!

jv001
01-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Exactly We at least passed him the ball some. Now he only gets put backs. Reminds me of the singular-perimeter-only Duke teams that often don't do well. Most great teams have at least a threat inside we pass to. Jah, Boozer, Brand. When we fed Amile some w were a better team. It's that simple. I get that he's hurt right now but if he's playing hopefully that means he will again be healthy. It's a good ways until Saturday. Hopefully he feels better. Regardless if he can play D you can pass it to him three or four times on O. We don't even look at him anymore. Dude is so crafty. Top 25 Florida had no answer for him. Reward him!!!!! Pass to him. In terms of O we have 4 threats consistently - Kennard. Allen. Tatum. Jefferson. One of those things is not like the other. He plays the middle and not perimeter. One of them isn't given anything but garbage anymore. He opens it up for the other three!!!!

I'm with you regarding Amile getting the ball in the low post, but right now he's not near 100%. Even in the Miami game, he had no lift on his shot. Once he gets healthy, I'm with you on Amile getting some looks in the low post. Matter of fact, I'd like to see Giles get the ball in the low post. If for nothing else, I want to see if he has a low post game. GoDuke!

superdave
02-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Amile had three buckets in the paint very early vs ND, then didnt score again. He was aggressive at the outset, likely because he had a matchup advantage and because ND was overplaying the perimeter. But he was also putting the ball on the floor a lot all game, which is something he was looking for early in the season. If his minutes remain high, in the mid 30s, we may see more of his offense the rest of the season.

MChambers
02-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Amile had three buckets in the paint very early vs ND, then didnt score again. He was aggressive at the outset, likely because he had a matchup advantage and because ND was overplaying the perimeter. But he was also putting the ball on the floor a lot all game, which is something he was looking for early in the season. If his minutes remain high, in the mid 30s, we may see more of his offense the rest of the season.

I thought Amile looked pretty healthy Monday, with some very good low post moves and very good defense, other than too many fouls. I'm hoping with more rest between games he'll be a lot closer to 100%. That's critical if this team is to be capable of getting to the Final Four.

Troublemaker
02-02-2017, 10:07 AM
I thought Amile looked pretty healthy Monday, with some very good low post moves and very good defense, other than too many fouls. I'm hoping with more rest between games he'll be a lot closer to 100%. That's critical if this team is to be capable of getting to the Final Four.

Yeah, I think besides his rebounding numbers, Amile looked good out there. Better than in previous games.

His rebounding is something to watch, though, as he's only grabbed 4, 3, and 5 rebounds the past 3 games.

flyingdutchdevil
02-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I think besides his rebounding numbers, Amile looked good out there. Better than in previous games.

His rebounding is something to watch, though, as he's only grabbed 4, 3, and 5 rebounds the past 3 games.

Part of it is certainly health related, but I believe part is because Amile is the primary help defender. When he's out of position, he needs other members of the team (Tatum, Giles, Grayson) to man up and rebound, which they absolutely have done in the last two games.

Amile is a really good rebounder, but I'd rather have him as a help defender than a rebounder given our shaky perimeter D.

ricks68
02-02-2017, 11:42 AM
I have to admit that I am totally at a loss to even attempt to explain how Amile is able to play the way he has been playing. I am astonished at what he has been doing considering the source of my previous posts alluding to the status of his latest injury. I hope that it just keeps getting better. Go Amile!

ricks

Ballboy1998
02-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I have to admit that I am totally at a loss to even attempt to explain how Amile is able to play the way he has been playing. I am astonished at what he has been doing considering the source of my previous posts alluding to the status of his latest injury. I hope that it just keeps getting better. Go Amile!

ricks

Agreed. To my eyes, he still looks very hampered out there and is really gutting it out for the team and for his final season. It was great to see the team run a couple plays through him early in the ND game, as it was the closest he has looked to his "old self" on offense since the injury. He dominated the plodding ND big so easily that we basically did not see him for the rest of the game, which took away a lot of Amile's offensive advantage.

I think his production will continue to be a bit reduced because of playing hurt, but his advantage is best against slower, bigger defenders as opposed to smaller, quicker guys, and he hasn't had much time with those match ups in the last couple games. In addition, his foul trouble over the last few games has limited his minutes and thereby cut into his stats, both points and boards. Though, regarding rebounds, I thought in the ND game he made a number of "team rebounds" that didn't show up in his stats, like tipping the ball directly to a teammate, or clearing out the middle to leave an easy rebound for a teammate.

All of that said, I agree with the general thrust of this thread that Duke's offense looks better and has more balance when we run at least some sets for Amile in the paint.

English
02-02-2017, 02:03 PM

ricks

Apologies if I missed something obvious, but what does this mean? I read back through this reasonably short thread, but didn't see any hints. Are you aware of Amile's injury being worse than advertised/worse than should allow this level of play?