PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Duke Player- Prelim poll #3 (Multiple-choice)

JasonEvans
10-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Before you ask, "where is (insert name of prominent Duke player here) in this poll?!?!?" please check out the stickied thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3826&page=2) at the top of the bulletin board.

This is round 3 of the opening round in our poll seraching for the DBR BB's favorite Duke player of all-time.

Remember this is a MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL!! Feel free to vote for as many guys as you want from the list of 12 in this poll. The top 4 vote-getters will advance to the Round of 32 for one-on-one matchups. They will be seeded based on total votes.

-Jason "I found this round fairly easy-- 4 guys stuck out from the rest for me in this group" Evans

JasonEvans
10-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I love the fact that the Bulletin Board software says 7 people have read this thread but 9 people have voted in the poll so far. Hmmmm, I think the page views part is not 100% accurate.

--Jason

_Gary
10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Interesting, Jason. You found this one easy and I found it very hard. I could have voted for 6 or 7 easily, but limiting myself to just four was really tough. On the other hand, the last poll was really easy for me but it seemed to be tough for others.

Gary

micah75
10-13-2007, 11:34 AM
I love the fact that the Bulletin Board software says 7 people have read this thread but 9 people have voted in the poll so far. Hmmmm, I think the page views part is not 100% accurate.

--Jason

I've noticed that this happens on most every thread. The page views don't seem to get updated for a period of time, maybe 20 or 30 minutes, not sure.

Have to agree with Gary, this one is a bit tougher. I usually try to limit my votes to just 3, but this time I splurged a bit and went with 5. Hard to leave out Brian Davis, a real glue player for those 1st 2 NC teams.

grossbus
10-13-2007, 12:04 PM
taylor king?

JasonEvans
10-13-2007, 12:12 PM
taylor king?

I had a request to include everyone on the current roster, so I did.

I do not expect any of the current freshmen to advance to the round of 32. In fact, I don't think any current player will advance though I'd need to look at the competition in each first-round poll to really have a good idea of that.

-Jason

Lord Ash
10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
So I don't mean this to sound bad, but this was hard for me only because I wouldn't REALLY vote for any of these guys as my favorite Duke player. Now, what I mean by that is I wouldn't vote for any of them for my top; guys like Shane hold a very important place, and there is no one on this list I would put up there.

I may just vote for one or two; gotta look over this list a few times.

Bob Green
10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
So I don't mean this to sound bad, but this was hard for me only because I wouldn't REALLY vote for any of these guys as my favorite Duke player. Now, what I mean by that is I wouldn't vote for any of them for my top; guys like Shane hold a very important place, and there is no one on this list I would put up there.

I may just vote for one or two; gotta look over this list a few times.

In that case, vote for Mark Alarie!

dkbaseball
10-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Mon dieux, is Mark Alarie now relegated to old-timer status and unremembered by many here? Where's the love, people? This guy was a great, and extremely versatile player. When K introduced him at the Duke Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he said that he shows all his big men tapes of the '86 season and tells them: "I want you to play like Alarie played." Daniel Ewing had his moments, but nowhere close to the impact on the program that Alarie had.

_Gary
10-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow, I can't believe Brian Davis isn't getting more love. He's now in sixth place?!!! That really surprises me.

JasonEvans
10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Mon dieux, is Mark Alarie now relegated to old-timer status and unremembered by many here? Where's the love, people? This guy was a great, and extremely versatile player. When K introduced him at the Duke Hall of Fame induction ceremony, he said that he shows all his big men tapes of the '86 season and tells them: "I want you to play like Alarie played." Daniel Ewing had his moments, but nowhere close to the impact on the program that Alarie had.

Look folks-- I like Sean Dockery as much as the next guy, but him being close to Mark Alarie in this vote is JUST WRONG!!!

--Jason "wow, this is a really close vote-- even Brand and Boozer are not assured of moving on yet" Evans

Indoor66
10-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Look folks-- I like Sean Dockery as much as the next guy, but him being close to Mark Alarie in this vote is JUST WRONG!!!

--Jason "wow, this is a really close vote-- even Brand and Boozer are not assured of moving on yet" Evans

Youth will be served! :rolleyes:

JBDuke
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Jason, given that this is a poll of favorites, how can ANY result be wrong? I really respect Alarie's game - he was an excellent player and is the epitome of the inside/out big man in Coach K's "system", but he's not one of my favorites. Dockery IS one of my favorites, and it's largely due to his background. Sean came out of a very tough neighborhood and was an academic question mark coming in, but he worked hard both on and off-court, graduated on time, became a team leader, and had a "one shining moment" that Duke fans will remember forever.

If we were voting on "best" player, then I'd wholeheartedly agree with you - Alarie was a better player at Duke than Dockery. But, as we established early on, this is NOT a vote about "best", it's about "favorite", and so you're not necessarily going to get a roster of folks who have jerseys hanging in Cameron (or were very close candidates, like Mark).

JasonEvans
10-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Jason, given that this is a poll of favorites, how can ANY result be wrong? I really respect Alarie's game - he was an excellent player and is the epitome of the inside/out big man in Coach K's "system", but he's not one of my favorites. Dockery IS one of my favorites, and it's largely due to his background. Sean came out of a very tough neighborhood and was an academic question mark coming in, but he worked hard both on and off-court, graduated on time, became a team leader, and had a "one shining moment" that Duke fans will remember forever.

If we were voting on "best" player, then I'd wholeheartedly agree with you - Alarie was a better player at Duke than Dockery. But, as we established early on, this is NOT a vote about "best", it's about "favorite", and so you're not necessarily going to get a roster of folks who have jerseys hanging in Cameron (or were very close candidates, like Mark).

Darn you and your correct logic ;)

-Jason

monkey
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Jay Heaps gets a vote if only for that one UNC game in Cameron when they took all the starters out, game out of reach, and Jay and the other bench players led a comeback in the final minute that led to the starters being brought back in. Lot of heart.

I'm a bit surprised Boozer is getting so much love from the poll. He was a good player. But I don't remember him being much of a fan favorite. Guess NBA success is playing a role.

77devil
10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Who was the first player ever to appear in 4 consecutive Final Four tournaments? Hint: he is in this poll.

devildeac
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Who was the first player ever to appear in 4 consecutive Final Four tournaments? Hint: he is in this poll.

Greg Koubek

JasonEvans
10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm only gonna keep this poll open a little while longer-- maybe just a half an hour. The race between Alarie and Dockery is just so darn close right now.

--Jason "vote now, for a new poll will be coming soon!" Evans

jipops
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Greg Koubek

The fact that Koubek has gotten so few votes goes to show how the majority of voters must be post-'99 fans. How could Greg not be getting any more love!!!??? He was probably our best offensive rebounder on the '91 squad and quite adept at nailing the 3. He played so well for that championship team that he actually kept an immense talent like Grant Hill from starting most of the season.

And yes, thank you for bringing up the fact that he played in 4 Final Fours.

throatybeard
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Close it before Alarie gets shut out.