PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/23-1/29

pfrduke
01-23-2017, 11:41 AM
The conference is now starting to segregate itself into the haves and the have nots. Everyone at .500 and above looks to be in very solid position to make the tournament and, with maybe one or two exceptions, are the teams that people expected to be there at the start of the season. The real question is now whether anyone in the bottom 8 can make a run at a tourney spot. Boston College, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse don't feel like realistic contenders. Clemson, Pitt, and State have dug themselves big early holes that may be too deep to climb out of. Miami and, surprisingly enough, Wake Forest, have more interesting profiles. Both teams have no marquee wins but also no bad losses and, the conference being what it is, plenty of opportunities for scalps down the stretch. Wake hosts Louisville and Duke, plus has trips to Notre Dame and Duke; the Canes have Carolina, FSU, and Duke at home, plus UVA, Louisville, and FSU on the road. Those are my two best bets for getting an 8th and/or 9th tourney bid from the conference.

Monday
[13]Duke (3-3) hosts [78]NC State (2-5) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
[64]Pittsburgh (1-5) hosts [9]Louisville (4-3) (7:00, ESPNU)
[18]Notre Dame (6-1) hosts [6]Virginia (5-2) (8:00, ACCN)
[57]Syracuse (3-4) hosts [36]Wake Forest (3-4) (8:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
[96]Georgia Tech (3-4) hosts [14]Florida State (6-1) (7:00, ACCN)
[40]Miami (2-4) hosts [162]Boston College (2-5) (9:00, ACCN)

Thursday
[7]North Carolina (6-1) hosts [50]Virginia Tech (4-3) (8:00, ESPN)

Friday is dark

Saturday
[96]Georgia Tech (3-4) hosts [18]Notre Dame (6-1) (12:00, ESPNU)
[57]Syracuse (3-4) hosts [14]Florida State (6-1) (12:00, ESPN2)
[64]Pittsburgh (1-5) hosts [37]Clemson (1-6) (12:00, ACCN)
[40]Miami (2-4) hosts [7]North Carolina (6-1) (1:00, CBS)
[36]Wake Forest (3-4) hosts [13]Duke (3-3) (3:00, ACCN)

Sunday
[3]Villanova hosts [6]Virginia (1:00, FOX)*
[9]Louisville (4-3) hosts [78]NC State (2-5) (1:00, ACCN)
[50]Virginia Tech (4-3) hosts [162]Boston College (2-5) (6:30, ESPNU)

*This game could bring the Walton championship belt into the ACC for the rest of the season. Marquette took it from Creighton over the weekend and now plays host to Villanova on Tuesday. If Nova wins (not a small task, since it's a road game at a top 40 opponent, but Villanova will likely be a 4 or 5 point favorite), then it will hold the belt when Virginia comes to town.

CDu
01-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Huge week for UVa. Road games against Notre Dame and 'Nova. Hope the 'Hoos win both.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Huge week for UVa. Road games against Notre Dame and 'Nova. Hope the 'Hoos win both.

'Hoos over the Fighting Irish? With Brey at the helm? Nah...gimme the Irish over any team in the ACC other than Duke.

CDu
01-23-2017, 11:53 AM
'Hoos over the Fighting Irish? With Brey at the helm? Nah...gimme the Irish over any team in the ACC other than Duke.

In terms of our chances of winning the regular season title and getting the #1 seed in the ACC Tourney? Yes, a UVa win is preferred. And Brey has been the head coach and thorn in Duke's side for years now. He isn't coming back to Duke, and thus I don't feel any need to cheer for him moving forward.

left_hook_lacey
01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
JD King thinks tonight's game against State will be an old-fashioned tobacco road battle. Vegas does not agree. Has us as a 17 point favorite right now. Guess they like the new lineup changes Coach Capel rolled out in the 2nd half of the Miami game. :cool:

CDu
01-23-2017, 12:09 PM
JD King thinks tonight's game against State will be an old-fashioned tobacco road battle. Vegas does not agree. Has us as a 17 point favorite right now. Guess they like the new lineup changes Coach Capel rolled out in the 2nd half of the Miami game. :cool:

To be fair, the DBR front page article puts a LOT of caveats in that statement: IF State plays up to its potential, the game HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE an ACC classic.

left_hook_lacey
01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
To be fair, the DBR front page article puts a LOT of caveats in that statement: IF State plays up to its potential, the game HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE an ACC classic.

Fair point.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2017, 01:32 PM

and IF Duke plays up to its potential, the game HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE a 30-point blowout.

Both teams are clearly trying to figure it out; kinda how we figure it out sooner than the other dudes.

PackMan97
01-23-2017, 02:42 PM
When State crushes Duke and then destroys Louisville, we'll be right back in the hunt for an NCAA bid at 4-5.

:rolleyes:

Wahoo2000
01-23-2017, 04:15 PM
The conference is now starting to segregate itself into the haves and the have nots. Everyone at .500 and above looks to be in very solid position to make the tournament and, with maybe one or two exceptions, are the teams that people expected to be there at the start of the season. The real question is now whether anyone in the bottom 8 can make a run at a tourney spot. Boston College, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse don't feel like realistic contenders. Clemson, Pitt, and State have dug themselves big early holes that may be too deep to climb out of. Miami and, surprisingly enough, Wake Forest, have more interesting profiles. Both teams have no marquee wins but also no bad losses and, the conference being what it is, plenty of opportunities for scalps down the stretch. Wake hosts Louisville and Duke, plus has trips to Notre Dame and Duke; the Canes have Carolina, FSU, and Duke at home, plus UVA, Louisville, and FSU on the road. Those are my two best bets for getting an 8th and/or 9th tourney bid from the conference.

When you look at the conference in isolation from the rest of the country, it does only look like an 8, MAYBE 9, bid league. HOWEVER, the depth this year in college bball overall kind of seems to stink. Especially with some of the midmajors that frequently get multiple teams in. Tons of those leagues that usually get at least 2-3 teams in are looking like 1-2 bid max leagues this year, and some of the "power conferences" (american, Pac12, SEC) are looking somewhat dreadful as well. Despite their start to ACC play, Pitt still has a very strong RPI and is currently "in" according to most prognosticators. Miami, VT, & Wake also seem (currently) to be on the right side of the bubble, and even Clemson and (shockingly) NC State are usually listed in the first or second four out. To be fair, all 6 of those teams are probably a 2 game losing streak from dropping out of the field and/or off the bubble. Still, I've got to think with the rest of the cbb landscape looking the way it does now, we're probably more likely to get 9 or 10 teams in than 8.

Edited to add this: I don't know what the record is for most sub-.500 teams from one conference getting in is, but I think we might set it this year. I could see 3 or even 4 league teams at 8-10 (and maybe even 1 at 7-11 if their RPI and nonconference record are relatively good) making the tourney.

Wahoo2000
01-23-2017, 04:23 PM

You and me both. Chances seem remote though. We'll be dogs in both. Guessing -2 @ND, and probably -6ish @Nova. If we can show strong in both and grab 1 win, I'll be pretty happy.

If I had to choose 1? I guess ND since it keeps us in the mix for the best record in conference. A win @Nova would be sweet though. They might not lose again in the regular season and it'd be a real feather in our caps, and in the cap of the ACC as a whole.

Olympic Fan
01-23-2017, 04:27 PM
In terms of our chances of winning the regular season title and getting the #1 seed in the ACC Tourney? Yes, a UVa win is preferred. And Brey has been the head coach and thorn in Duke's side for years now. He isn't coming back to Duke, and thus I don't feel any need to cheer for him moving forward.

I disagree. As it stands, Notre Dame is 6-1 and Virginia 5-2 ... not much difference. We get each of them once, on the road.

As it stands, I like shooting for the top four (and the double bye), more than the regular season title. To that end, tying Virginia in the loss column would be a big step forward. As it stands, we have to pass three out of six teams ahead or tied with us -- Notre Dame (6-1), FSU (6-1), UNC (6-1), Virginia (5-2), Louisville (4-3) and Virginia Tech (3-3).

I'd rather see Notre Dame bring Virginia back to the pack a little bit.

And all things being equal, I'd rather see Notre Dame -- and Brey -- win than Virginia.

CDu
01-23-2017, 05:03 PM
I disagree. As it stands, Notre Dame is 6-1 and Virginia 5-2 ... not much difference. We get each of them once, on the road.

As it stands, I like shooting for the top four (and the double bye), more than the regular season title. To that end, tying Virginia in the loss column would be a big step forward. As it stands, we have to pass three out of six teams ahead or tied with us -- Notre Dame (6-1), FSU (6-1), UNC (6-1), Virginia (5-2), Louisville (4-3) and Virginia Tech (3-3).

I'd rather see Notre Dame bring Virginia back to the pack a little bit.

And all things being equal, I'd rather see Notre Dame -- and Brey -- win than Virginia.

In terms of winning the regular season, Notre Dame has to lose outside of us. We control our own destiny with UNC and UVa. We need help with everyone else, though several of these teams play each other still.

Even if you decide that the regular season title is out of reach, Notre Dame losing gives us more ways in which we can overtake teams in front of us. Notre Dame winning makes it that much harder to catch one of the teams in front of us.

pfrduke
01-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Louisville is absolutely housing Pittsburgh. The Panthers were already on life support for an NCAA bid but this might be the dagger. Ouch.

Wahoo2000
01-24-2017, 09:56 PM
In terms of winning the regular season, Notre Dame has to lose outside of us. We control our own destiny with UNC and UVa. We need help with everyone else, though several of these teams play each other still.

Even if you decide that the regular season title is out of reach, Notre Dame losing gives us more ways in which we can overtake teams in front of us. Notre Dame winning makes it that much harder to catch one of the teams in front of us.

CDu gets his wish, Domers fall at homw, 71-54.

Notre Dame only hit 3-18 from 3. Well below their average on FTs too. That was the difference between a tight contest and a runaway win for UVA.

On to Nova! Would love to snatch that Walton Belt from them and put it in the nation's best conference..... where it belongs. :-)

CDu
01-24-2017, 09:56 PM
In what was a close game through 30+ minutes, UVa ran away from Notre Dame for a 71-54 win in South Bend. Big win for the Hoos. FSU and UNC-CH atop the conference for now.

Nearing the halfway mark, the Noles look like an early favorite to get the 1 seed. Their back half of the schedule is really nice.

Wahoo2000
01-24-2017, 10:00 PM
In what was a close game through 30+ minutes, UVa ran away from Notre Dame for a 71-54 win in South Bend. Big win for the Hoos. FSU and UNC-CH atop the conference for now.

Nearing the halfway mark, the Noles look like an early favorite to get the 1 seed. Their back half of the schedule is really nice.

I'm going to be so bitter when somehow 3 of UVA, UNC, Duke, & Louisville all end up in the bottom half of the ACC tourney bracket.

Olympic Fan
01-24-2017, 10:15 PM
I'm going to be so bitter when somehow 3 of UVA, UNC, Duke, & Louisville all end up in the bottom half of the ACC tourney bracket.

Amazing -- we had our third 50-point game in the ACC this season.

UNC beat State by 51

Duke beat Georgia Tech by 53 (maybe poetic justice that State beats Duke and Georgia Tech beats UNC

And tonight, Louisville (without PG Quentin Snider) beats Pitt by 55 (106-51). That's the third largest margin of victory in ACC history and the biggest on the road.

Olympic Fan
01-25-2017, 12:50 PM
More bad injury news for Louisville. Tony Hicks, who replaced injured Quentin Snider at point guard and played great in the last two games, will miss 6-8 weeks with a broken hand.

Leaves them REALLY shorthanded in the backcourt until Snider returns from his hip flexor.

Duke79UNLV77
01-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Amazing -- we had our third 50-point game in the ACC this season.

UNC beat State by 51

Duke beat Georgia Tech by 53 (maybe poetic justice that State beats Duke and Georgia Tech beats UNC

And tonight, Louisville (without PG Quentin Snider) beats Pitt by 55 (106-51). That's the third largest margin of victory in ACC history and the biggest on the road.

Tech may be on its way to doing something similar to FSU. Probably won't end up that way, but it's a butt-kicking right now.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Tech may be on its way to doing something similar to FSU. Probably won't end up that way, but it's a butt-kicking right now.

Ssshhh.....

Need to be clever and/or subtle about things like these:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38809-The-quot-I-m-not-going-to-jinx-it-quot-thread-v3-0

Fish80
01-25-2017, 07:54 PM
41 to 13, okay, but G Tech has the 41????

What is going on?

gofurman
01-25-2017, 08:22 PM

What is going on?

And to think we beat gt by 50. Gt beat unc. It's a crazy league. Unc beats state by 50. We lose to state, at home! I think you see this more w freshmn dominant teams these days. UK losing at Tennessee last night.

Freshman. And a tough acc. = high variance

bluedev_92
01-25-2017, 08:28 PM

What is going on?

Insanity!! The ACC is nuts...

BandAlum83
01-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Insanity!! The ACC is nuts...

57-33

11:24 remaining.

gofurman
01-25-2017, 08:40 PM
57-33

11:24 remaining.

Do we want this? We aren't catching the Noles. And this puts GT at 4-4 !!!!! And UNC gets sole possession of first place. Ahhhhhh

BandAlum83
01-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Do we want this? We aren't catching the Noles. And this puts GT at 4-4 !!!!! And UNC gets sole possession of first place. Ahhhhhh

I want this. I'd like to see GT to do well against all expectations.

I have a lot more respect for GTs sports program and as an academic institution than I do for FSU

BandAlum83
01-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Lammers seems really good at remaining vertical on defense, even if he did just commit his 4th foul. And he's played an excellent game. 18/11/4 right now.

devildeac
01-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Hope this same f$u team shows up in CIS next month!

bluedev_92
01-25-2017, 09:15 PM

I do. Was happy to see FSU lose & GT win. Also means we have a huge win against a team with 2 top 10 wins.

gofurman
01-25-2017, 10:11 PM
I do. Was happy to see FSU lose & GT win. Also means we have a huge win against a team with 2 top 10 wins.

Agree I pull for gt. not fsu. But it puts our nemesis in sole possession of first place.

And yes we killed a now-better looking' GT team. But we also lost to a 'now worse' FSU team. I don't think it helps or hurts in that regard.

No biggie. The acc is brutal this year. It does stop ESPN from just talking Dukes loss. UK. Now FSU. Etc. everyone losing. Only difference w us is we lost at home

duketaylor
01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Shocked to see this result. Never would've thought it. Gotta be weirdest conference results for January I can remember. Need unc to follow suit. Still think UVA will be there late and last well into the Tourney. Very solid team and well-coached.

jv001
01-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Shocked to see this result. Never would've thought it. Gotta be weirdest conference results for January I can remember. Need unc to follow suit. Still think UVA will be there late and last well into the Tourney. Very solid team and well-coached.

Who is this unc you talk about? I know of a team named uncheat and they don't matter any more.:cool: Well, at least to me they don't. GoDuke!

Troublemaker
01-26-2017, 07:13 AM
GaTech and BC being better than expected is going to end up costing the ACC some tournament teams I believe. (Not FSU, obviously, who will make it.) Double-digit tournament teams will be difficult.

ChillinDuke
01-26-2017, 11:29 AM
GaTech and BC being better than expected is going to end up costing the ACC some tournament teams I believe. (Not FSU, obviously, who will make it.) Double-digit tournament teams will be difficult.

At what point does Georgia Tech play itself into NCAAT contention? Probably not yet (#77 KenPom, 12-8, 4-4 in conference, wins over UNC and FSU). But what if they beat ND at home on Sat? 13-8, 5-4 with 3 top 20 wins? Still not yet?

Just wondering...

- Chillin

duketaylor
01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
No way VT takes out the cheats tonight.........is there?

Any word on K returning this weekend? Kinda expecting it.

left_hook_lacey
01-26-2017, 12:45 PM
No way VT takes out the cheats tonight.....is there?

Nothing surprises me anymore with this 2017 season. But, smart money would say no, they don't have a good chance. UNC is a 15 points favorite last time I looked.

PackMan97
01-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Why in hell does UNC even have an athletic department? this is why they delay, obfuscate, deny and delay again...they've already had last season, looks like they'll get this season as well.

NSDukeFan
01-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Why in hell does UNC even have an athletic department? this is why they delay, obfuscate, deny and delay again...they've already had last season, looks like they'll get this season as well.

Haven't they already indicated the only reason they exist is to have an athletic department?

BandAlum83
01-26-2017, 04:28 PM

If the team was summoned to his house today, I'm thinking he won't be making a trip to Winston-Salem.

CDu
01-26-2017, 04:37 PM
If the team was summoned to his house today, I'm thinking he won't be making a trip to Winston-Salem.

I believe the meeting was Tuesday. But, as someone else noted on the first page, I suspect you're right that he won't be coaching Saturday.

Olympic Fan
01-26-2017, 06:59 PM

I'd say probably not, except this seems to be a week for upsets. On Tuesday night, No. 1 Villanova, No. 2 Kansas and No. 4 Kentucky all went down (Nova and Kentucky to unranked foes). On Wednesday, it was No. 6 FSU and No. 8 UCLA (also to unranked foes) ... plus No. 5 Baylor only escaped an unranked foe due to the refusal of the refs to call a foul on a 3-point shot twice in the final 15 seconds.

It has not been a good week to be a top 10 team. Hopefully, that continues tonight.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Why does an athletic department disguise itself as a university?

Bob Green
01-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Saturday
[96]Georgia Tech (3-4) hosts [18]Notre Dame (6-1) (12:00, ESPNU)
[57]Syracuse (3-4) hosts [14]Florida State (6-1) (12:00, ESPN2)
[64]Pittsburgh (1-5) hosts [37]Clemson (1-6) (12:00, ACCN)
[40]Miami (2-4) hosts [7]North Carolina (6-1) (1:00, CBS)
[36]Wake Forest (3-4) hosts [13]Duke (3-3) (3:00, ACCN)

Can the home teams protect their courts today? All the road teams are favored to win. I'm ready for another big Saturday of ACC Basketball. I'm super ready for a Duke road victory!

Doria
01-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Can the home teams protect their courts today? All the road teams are favored to win. I'm ready for another big Saturday of ACC Basketball. I'm super ready for a Duke road victory!

I'm rooting for all the home teams today, with of course, the exception of the Deacs. Go Duke!

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Really curious to watch the ND/GT game.

I've watched two GT games this year and they looked beyond awful in both. My brain can not comprehend the UNC and FSU wins they pulled off.

Doria
01-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Wow, what a finish in that ND/Tech game!

Troublemaker
01-28-2017, 01:51 PM
At what point does Georgia Tech play itself into NCAAT contention? Probably not yet (#77 KenPom, 12-8, 4-4 in conference, wins over UNC and FSU). But what if they beat ND at home on Sat? 13-8, 5-4 with 3 top 20 wins? Still not yet?

Just wondering...

I would say GaTech is starting to look bubblish now, which is crazy. Pastner is the early (strong) favorite for ACC Coach of the Year. There was a LOT of criticism on DBR about the Pastner hire, but it looks like things might work out well for the Yellow Jackets.

Doria
01-28-2017, 01:53 PM
I would say GaTech is starting to look bubblish now, which is crazy. Pastner is the early (strong) favorite for ACC Coach of the Year. There was a LOT of criticism on DBR about the Pastner hire, but it looks like things might work out well for the Yellow Jackets.

There was a lot of criticism in a lot of places. But yeah, there's no denying that Pastner has legitimately exceeded expectations and gotten some excellent wins.

ETA: Ha ha, that was the worst rendition of the tomahawk chop I've ever heard by an opposing team's crowd!

Troublemaker
01-28-2017, 03:18 PM
I'll give credit for Duke playing with much more defensive focus the 2nd half, they rattled a weak team at home, but a better team is not going to wilt like that

lol

Hmmm, looks like UNC plays Miami on Saturday. Let's see how you guys fare against this weak team.

Ok, but we have a good Va. Tech at home first...one game at a time.

Is Miami still a weak team, Wheat?

Or is Miami a good team, a team that's on the bubble, and probably the right side of the bubble as of now after trouncing UNC today?

Duke's going to have to play at Miami later on in the season, too. Will be tough...

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Great defensive effort by the 'Canes today. They played with a lot of intensity at home and challenged the Heels on the boards all game.

Probably the worst played game by Berry since he arrived. Lost his composure in the first half, didn't value the ball and it affected his shooting rhythm, along with Miami's zone and active ball hawking. He's the team's leader and has to do a better job than he did today leading the team.

Kenny Williams also had a poor offensive game. Scoring from the 2g spot has been a weakness all season and it showed again this game.

Jackson had a nice game, despite getting his shot blocked several times inside. I liked how he didn't let it affect him and he stayed aggressive.

It was one of those games for the Heels that the ball didn't bounce their way on key plays off the rim, and Miami didn't bail them out by missing shots on those second chances.

Lots of time today for the freshmen Robinson, Woods and Bradley on the road. Roy threw them in the fire and challenged them, and for the most part they played OK. Miami's guys just played better.

Road wins are hard in the ACC, for everybody.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Is Miami still a weak team, Wheat?

Or is Miami a good team, a team that's on the bubble, and probably the right side of the bubble as of now after trouncing UNC today?

Duke's going to have to play at Miami later on in the season, too. Will be tough...

Relatively speaking in comparison to the top, say 30+ teams in the country, yes, Miami is a weak team. Playing strong defensively with confidence at home where the challenged shots fall and the comfort level is high makes weak team look better. It's why it's hard for teams to win on the road.

Add the poor shooting and focus UNC had today and you get a big win for them. I give them credit, they played well and UNC didn't.

PackMan97
01-28-2017, 04:05 PM
LOL @ Coach Williams throwing a chair during the Miami rout. Anyone want to take a guess if the ACC or NCAA disciplines him? I didn't watch the game but did that earn him a technical?

Today, we all go to Miami.

Three out of four ranked teams lose on the road with the fourth (you guys) behind the eight ball.

Doria
01-28-2017, 04:06 PM
LOL @ Coach Williams throwing a chair during the Miami rout. Anyone want to take a guess if the ACC or NCAA disciplines him? I didn't watch the game but did that earn him a technical?

Man, I watched the game sporadically, but I missed that. I'll have to check if there's any video of it online.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Three out of four ranked teams lose on the road with the fourth (you guys) behind the eight ball.

He did not get a T, probably because he was fairly hidden by players surrounding him.

Berry got one, but I'm not sure what that was for....

Doria
01-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Best day of results all season. All the teams I wanted to win did, I think.

DukieInBrasil
01-28-2017, 05:37 PM
what a crazy (good) day in the ACC!!!
From Duke's perspective, it was nearly perfect since no team that is currently more than 1 game in front of Duke won today. Also, the Holes were one of the teams to fall.
Crazy to think that GA Tech and Syracuse are both 0.5 games in front of Duke at this point, nearly half way thru the conference slate.
But best of all, was that amazing comeback fueled by Luke Kennard!!!!!! It is beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is his team now.

duke4ever19
01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Best day of results all season. All the teams I wanted to win did, I think.

My thoughts exactly. We made up a little bit of ground on a few teams today.

brevity
01-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Man, I watched the game sporadically, but I missed that. I'll have to check if there's any video of it online.

Is there ever! In case the embedded video below stops working, here are links from ESPN (http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18573259), Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/roy-williams-throws-chair-north-carolina-miami-acc-video/v851oup6v0jy1l9098876pia7), CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/watch-roy-williams-throws-down-chair-in-frustration-during-baffling-loss-to-miami/)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3R4hkjjx8

OldPhiKap
01-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Is there ever! In case the embedded video below stops working, here are links from ESPN (http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18573259), Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/roy-williams-throws-chair-north-carolina-miami-acc-video/v851oup6v0jy1l9098876pia7), CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/watch-roy-williams-throws-down-chair-in-frustration-during-baffling-loss-to-miami/)...

Bet that chair went right under the bus on the way back to the airport.

-jk
01-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Channeling his inner Bobby! But without the T. (Go figure!)

-jk

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Channeling his inner Bobby! But without the T. (Go figure!)

-jk

Now, to be fair, which I understand is a pipe dream around here when UNC is involved, this was a little different situation than Bobby Knight slinging a chair across the court to show up the officials. Roy was just trying to get his team's attention.

P.S.-I see what you did there, thx.��

brevity
01-28-2017, 08:06 PM
To be fair, which I understand is a pipe dream around here when UNC is involved, this was a little different situation than Bobby Knight slinging a chair across the court to show up the officials. Roy was just trying to get his team's attention.

I completely agree about the differing intent. But let's not forget that this is the second time this season that Roy has lost his cool and lashed out on inanimate objects in front of his unsurprised players. At worst, he deserves a Grayson-level media investigation every time he loses his cool. At best, he deserves to be mercilessly mocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD1jSxtnuuE

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 08:15 PM
I completely agree about the differing intent. But let's not forget that this is the second time this season that Roy has lost his cool and lashed out on inanimate objects in front of his unsurprised players. At worst, he deserves a Grayson-level media investigation every time he loses his cool. At best, he deserves to be mercilessly mocked.

Nobody deserves "Grayson-level" media infatuation, not even Grayson.

Roy's kids seem to be a little hard headed and its hard to get their attention sometimes, it's why the game has a coach.

TKG
01-28-2017, 08:22 PM
And let's not forget that while Roy was abusing the furniture (for the second time in 12 months) Teddy Valentine was "officiating " our game. For the Bob Knight reference to be complete TV Valentine would need to have been in Coral Gables.

norduck
01-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Now, to be fair, which I understand is a pipe dream around here when UNC is involved, this was a little different situation than Bobby Knight slinging a chair across the court to show up the officials. Roy was just trying to get his team's attention.

Ref P.S. So you can continuing trolling?

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Ref P.S. So you can continuing trolling?

norduck?

-jk
01-28-2017, 08:56 PM

Bobby was just trying to help a little old lady (http://www.si.com/longform/2015/1985/knight/):

“People jump at conclusions. But the game is going on and I hear somebody across the floor keep hollering, ‘Coach! Coach! Coach Knight!’ I get all kinds of suggestions, I try not to pay any attention to it…. Here’s a little old lady across the floor, reminded me of my grandmother... I said, ‘Did you want me for something?’ She said, ‘If you’re not going to sit down any more today than you have so far, could I have your chair?’” Ba-da-bum.

Roy just doesn't bring it the same way...

-jk

norduck
01-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Nobody deserves "Grayson-level" media infatuation, not even Grayson.

Roy's kids seem to be a little hard headed and its hard to get their attention sometimes, it's why the game has a coach.

I would say ADD or are we talking about attending Real classes?

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Bobby was just trying to help a little old lady (http://www.si.com/longform/2015/1985/knight/):

Roy just doesn't bring it the same way...

-jk

I miss old Bobby...ah the days when men were men, and coaches could coach, and everybody had much thicker skin....long before what has become the politically correct restrictions of the snowflake generation on the game.

BD80
01-28-2017, 09:21 PM
I miss old Bobby...ah the days when men were men, and coaches could coach, and everybody had much thicker skin...long before what has become the politically correct restrictions of the snowflake generation on the game.

Around here we attribute our use of quotes of others, even if the words originated with Donald Trump.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Around here we attribute our use of quotes of others, even if the words originated with Donald Trump.

Ok, you've lost me. What?

BD80
01-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Ok, you've lost me. What?

"ah the days when men were men, ... and everybody had much thicker skin...long before what has become the politically correct restrictions of the snowflake generation ..."

That isn't a Donald Trump quote?

Wheat/"/"/"
01-28-2017, 09:56 PM
"ah the days when men were men, ... and everybody had much thicker skin...long before what has become the politically correct restrictions of the snowflake generation ..."

That isn't a Donald Trump quote?

Not that I'm aware of...but great minds do think alike they say:)

weezie
01-28-2017, 10:09 PM
At best, he deserves to be mercilessly mocked.

Oh hear, hear! The honorable gentleman from New Orleans makes a brilliant distinction...

gofurman
01-28-2017, 10:11 PM
what a crazy (good) day in the ACC!!!
From Duke's perspective, it was nearly perfect since no team that is currently more than 1 game in front of Duke won today. Also, the Holes were one of the teams to fall.
Crazy to think that GA Tech and Syracuse are both 0.5 games in front of Duke at this point, nearly half way thru the conference slate.
But best of all, was that amazing comeback fueled by Luke Kennard!!!!!! It is beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is his team now.

Our game was a great effort. I wanted unc to lose. Always. But in a way Miami and GT and cuse winning wasn't the best for Duke.. If those lose to Unc and Fsu as predicted we are in 6th place in the Acc instead of eighth ! That's a big difference. I have basically conceded we are playing for a tourney bid and a middle-of-pack acc place... Thus I (and this is hard to say) kinda wanted FSU to win. Weird days in the acc. Hard league. Toughest it's been in a while

CDu
01-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Our game was a great effort. I wanted unc to lose. Always. But in a way Miami and GT and cuse winning wasn't the best for Duke.. If those lose to Unc and Fsu as predicted we are in 6th place in the Acc instead of eighth ! That's a big difference. I have basically conceded we are playing for a tourney bid and a middle-of-pack acc place... Thus I (and this is hard to say) kinda wanted FSU to win. Weird days in the acc. Hard league. Toughest it's been in a while

We are essentially two games out of FIRST in the conference right now. With ten games to play. We control our own destiny with four of the teams in front of us. There are a lot of twists and turns left in this season.

duke4ever19
01-28-2017, 10:19 PM

As opposed to years when we don't?

duketaylor
01-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Many have given in to the notion Duke can't catch uncheat, FSU or UVA and that Duke's in serious trouble to get a bid. The 2nd point I'll agree is somewhat of a concern, the 1st I'm not much worried about because it means nothing (largely). Seeding for a team like this Duke team is really of no significance, IMO. No other team wants to see this talent against them, especially in a month and a half from now (if healthy). The ACC is currently undergoing cannibalism; but that's not really an awful thing since SOS will continue to be really strong. Kansas beats UK at UK tonight, helps Duke. GT wins at VCU as a 14-point dog in December, now has beaten uncheat and Notre Dame. 'Cuse beats FSU today. Conference is way deep in strength-folks talking that the ACC may get 10 bids. Heck, I'd argue more but it's still early. Only BC, Klemson, Pitt, Wake and maybe State are not in consideration at this point. The rest are .500 or better with lots of games to be played.
Two teams with 2 losses, three with 3 and five with 4. Nothing is anywhere close to settled at this point. UVA at Nova tomorrow is highly anticipated around here.

The other power conferences are less deep by a long shot and are very strong only at the very top. SEC, UK, then USC and UF (Bama and Ark hanging). Big 10, Twerps, Wisky, then N'western (did I actually type that?) and Purdue. Big 12, KU, Baylor, WVU, ISU, KSU, OSU, then it waters down. Pac 12, Zona, UCLA, Oregon, Utah with USC and Cal-yet their collective SOS and ratings are poor. Big East, Nova, Creighton (sans best player), Butler, X, now Marquette.

The American has maybe 3 now with Cincy, SMU and Memphis, then the A-10 has a few possible with Dayton, URI, VCU, and Richmond, but none are far up in ratings. Zags and St. Mary's out west. A few others are in the mix, but the ACC has a significant upper-hand. Very few non-con games left.

Just a brief summary on thoughts as we near February. No clear-cut favorite!! Like it!!

PackMan97
01-29-2017, 12:11 AM

Give me a fracking break! Coach Gottfried at State takes off his jacket and he gets a T. Coach Williams tosses a gosh darned chair and it's totally ignored by the Refs.

There are two sets of rules in the ACC...one for Carolina (and most of the time Duke, but not this year) and one for everyone else.

Coach Williams should be sitting on a show cause and never be allowed to coach another game...but there he is leading the Cheats and tossing chairs without punishment. What a load of bull poopie.

jv001
01-29-2017, 12:20 AM
Give me a fracking break! Coach Gottfried at State takes off his jacket and he gets a T. Coach Williams tosses a gosh darned chair and it's totally ignored by the Refs.

There are two sets of rules in the ACC...one for Carolina (and most of the time Duke, but not this year) and one for everyone else.

Coach Williams should be sitting on a show cause and never be allowed to coach another game...but there he is leading the Cheats and tossing chairs without punishment. What a load of bull poopie.

I usually agree with all your posts, but not this one. I admit that Duke did get it's share of calls in the early K years, but when Billy Packer started the "Duke get's all the calls" that changed. Now it seems we are on the wrong end of many calls. Today was a good example. But you are correct, uncheat does get all the calls and even in the scheduling of games(home-road). Well at least this season. I'll be glad to see the cheats get there due. GoDuke!

BandAlum83
01-29-2017, 12:25 AM

Totally hilarious clip. It's like he picks it up and doesn't know what to do with it.

He wants to throw it, but should he just slam it down? He wants to make a point, but doesn't have enough room to do it safely, so he kinda half slams, half throws it once he finds a safe spot.

Totally contrived and for show.

jv001
01-29-2017, 12:34 AM
Totally hilarious clip. It's like he picks it up and doesn't know what to do with it.

He wants to throw it, but should he just slam it down? He wants to make a point, but doesn't have enough room to do it safely, so he kinda half slams, half throws it once he finds a safe spot.

I'm really concerned about roy's health. He looked like he might pass out again today. I think it's his vertigo acting up when he get's really emotional. I can't make fun of anyone's health. GoDuke!

PackMan97
01-29-2017, 12:35 AM
I usually agree with all your posts, but not this one. I admit that Duke did get it's share of calls in the early K years, but when Billy Packer started the "Duke get's all the calls" that changed. Now it seems we are on the wrong end of many calls. Today was a good example. But you are correct, uncheat does get all the calls and even in the scheduling of games(home-road). Well at least this season. I'll be glad to see the cheats get there due. GoDuke!

I'll admit things for Duke may have changed with the last round of the ACC expansion, I haven't actually watched as many games as I used to, priorities and all that. Either way, Carolina is still a chosen one...I wonder why that might be?

jv001
01-29-2017, 12:37 AM
I'll admit things for Duke may have changed with the last round of the ACC expansion, I haven't actually watched as many games as I used to, prioritie sand all that. Either way, Carolina is still a chosen one...I wonder why that might be?

Swofford and the 1 billion idiot fans that live in North Carolina? :cool: GoDuke!

Indoor66
01-29-2017, 08:06 AM

Damn, that is the most succinct summary of unCheat I have ever seen!

Kudos! :D:cool:

OldPhiKap
01-29-2017, 08:06 AM
"It is better to seem than to be"

Indoor66
01-29-2017, 08:17 AM
"It is better to seem than to be"

There you go, going all Latin on us! :o:D:cool:

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Well, it didn't seem to impress his team. The guys look pretty nonchalant the whole time.
Love, Ima

Wheat/"/"/"
01-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Cry me a river and go look for the coverup of aliens at Area 51 for a real conspiracy.

Roy did get a T when he threw his jacket off reacting to poor officiating in that game, just like everybody else would have.

Some big deal, he didn't get a T for slamming that chair down in frustration with his players, while surrounded by his team and basically out of sight by the refs.

FYI, High emotions from coaches directed at their own players is not a T.

PackMan97
01-29-2017, 09:28 AM
FYI, High emotions from coaches directed at their own players is not a T.

UNC doing what they do best, cheating.

High emotion directed at furniture is a T....just ask every other coach in the ACC what would happen if they throw a chair.

You really don't think rules apply equally to UNC do you?

Tripping William
01-29-2017, 09:38 AM
2014 ACC Tournament final. K draws a T for the "high emotion" offense of tossing a pen at his bench (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/03/16/coach-k-technical-foul-shameful-ridiculous/6496661/). On the flip side, K thought the call was "shameful," but it appears ACC officiating standards have <ahem> "evolved" over the last couple of years?

Wheat/"/"/"
01-29-2017, 09:56 AM

High emotion directed at furniture is a T...just ask every other coach in the ACC what would happen if they throw a chair.

A rival doing what you do best, whining, and spreading lies.

A coach slammed a chair down in frustration at his own players, probably out of sight of the refs. Big deal.

He didn't "throw a chair" to show anybody up. Even you should be able to grasp that.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-29-2017, 12:06 PM
A rival doing what you do best, whining, and spreading lies.

A coach slammed a chair down in frustration at his own players, probably out of sight of the refs. Big deal.

He didn't "throw a chair" to show anybody up. Even you should be able to grasp that.

*munches his popcorn... waits for the next post*

allenmurray
01-29-2017, 12:10 PM
*munches his popcorn... waits for the next post*

It is always a treat to see UNC fan "wheat" come on to a Duke website to complain about Duke fans and the way that rivals act. The lack of self-awareness on his part is simply amazing. And the high regard in which some other Duke fans hold him has always been an incredible mystery to me, particularly some of the moderators who defend him

Wheat/"/"/"
01-29-2017, 12:33 PM
It is always a treat to see UNC fan "wheat" come on to a Duke website to complain about Duke fans and the way that rivals act. The lack of self-awareness on his part is simply amazing. And the high regard in which some other Duke fans hold him has always been an incredible mystery to me, particularly some of the moderators who defend him

Where have you seen me complain?

I just respond to what I read by trying my best to tell it like it is, respectfully, and as I see it.

The truth is the truth. Sometimes it's not flattering to your team. I don't toe the UNC line all the time either. I think moderators and many board members see that I never start all this petty crap, I talk about issues. (I'm not above responding to the pettiness when it's just too lame,however).

Some here just don't want to hear a challenging opinion and then make me the target when they realize I have a valid point, not continue to discuss the point.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-29-2017, 12:35 PM

I enjoy Wheat and feel he adds to the discussion 75% of the time. I have been derided for defending him in the past. But I sure don't mind watching him in a, uh, urination contest with a State Fan.

*makes more popcorn*

I have plenty to share.

Doria
01-29-2017, 12:38 PM
I enjoy Wheat and feel he adds to the discussion 75% of the time. I have been derided for defending him in the past. But I sure don't mind watching him in a, uh, urination contest with a State Fan.

*makes more popcorn*

I have plenty to share.

Yeah, don't keep it all to yourself! Anyway, carry on, gentlemen.

Furniture
01-29-2017, 12:44 PM

High emotion directed at furniture is a T...just ask every other coach in the ACC what would happen if they throw a chair.

Cruelty to Furniture should not be allowed. Anyway.

What a silly discussion this is folks. Go back to enjoying your Sunday.

Troublemaker
01-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Louisville has started to look really good, as Donovan Mitchell has made the leap into being a star. The rematch at UVA next week will be interesting, as the Cards and Hoos are probably the ACC's two best teams as of right now. (But these things evolve.)

arnie
01-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Louisville has started to look really good, as Donovan Mitchell has made the leap into being a star. The rematch at UVA next week will be interesting, as the Cards and Hoos are probably the ACC's two best teams as of right now. (But these things evolve.)

Pack laying another egg - they look totally lost. I'll never understand how we lost to them at home.

dukelifer
01-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Pack laying another egg - they look totally lost. I'll never understand how we lost to them at home.

Because Freshman are Freshman. Smith playing like one today and as he goes so goes the Pack.

dukelifer
01-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Tied game at Nova

dukelifer
01-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Nova with a tip at the buzzer

fisheyes
01-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Great game to watch.
UVa was impressive for most of the game on both offense and defense.
Villanova just had the D when it counted.

Defense wins championships.

dukelifer
01-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Spoiled an amazing coming out party performance by a Virginia freshman Ty Jerome.

sandinmyshoes
01-29-2017, 03:20 PM
The way ACC teams are beating up on one another, it would have been big for the conference if UVA could have pulled that off.

Wahoo2000
01-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Great game to watch.
UVa was impressive for most of the game on both offense and defense.
Villanova just had the D when it counted.

Defense wins championships.

If by "D", you mean that we had 2 open looks at 3 rim out/rattle out in the last 3 possessions, I agree. Nova's D was great. Also amazing was their ability to not foul (or get called for fouls) on many, MANY UVa (specifically Perrantes and Shayok) drives to the bucket. FTs were 24-3. They deserved an advantage, but that was a little crazy.

Still, I'll take it. Perrantes did almost nothing today, and he's the only player we're losing this year. Jerome looks like he'll be ready to take over the point next season without us missing a beat. Despite how well we played today, we're going to be a MUCH better team next year (by leaps and bounds). Could be similar in quality to our '15 team that started 28-1 (and I think everybody here knows how the "1" was....)

PackMan97
01-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Well..you know, it's tough to hold a team playing their third string PG to under 50% shooting and below 80 points...like really hard.

Papa John
01-29-2017, 04:33 PM
If by "D", you mean that we had 2 open looks at 3 rim out/rattle out in the last 3 possessions, I agree. Nova's D was great. Also amazing was their ability to not foul (or get called for fouls) on many, MANY UVa (specifically Perrantes and Shayok) drives to the bucket. FTs were 24-3. They deserved an advantage, but that was a little crazy.

Still, I'll take it. Perrantes did almost nothing today, and he's the only player we're losing this year. Jerome looks like he'll be ready to take over the point next season without us missing a beat. Despite how well we played today, we're going to be a MUCH better team next year (by leaps and bounds). Could be similar in quality to our '15 team that started 28-1 (and I think everybody here knows how the "1" was...)

Indeed... Someone please explain to me how an aggressive Villanova team was whistled for a total of 2(!!) fouls in the second half and 8(!) fouls over the course of the entire game? Now that is pretty amazing [read: ridiculous]...

Troublemaker
01-29-2017, 04:46 PM
Indeed... Someone please explain to me how an aggressive Villanova team was whistled for a total of 2(!!) fouls in the second half and 8(!) fouls over the course of the entire game? Now that is pretty amazing [read: ridiculous]...

Villanova is #1 in the country at keeping opponents off the FT line defensively, and UVA is #349 in the country at getting to the FT line offensively. Unless there's a massive season-long conspiracy, I'm guessing Nova doesn't foul a lot defensively and UVA doesn't draw a lot of fouls offensively, and they played to type in this game. (Source: kenpom)

Wahoo2000
01-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Villanova is #1 in the country at keeping opponents off the FT line defensively, and UVA is #349 in the country at getting to the FT line offensively. Unless there's a massive season-long conspiracy, I'm guessing Nova doesn't foul a lot defensively and UVA doesn't draw a lot of fouls offensively, and they played to type in this game. (Source: kenpom)

I would've expected about a 13-15 FTA discrepancy based on the numbers. 21? And only 2 fouls on Nova the entire second half? None in the last 15 min? In a game that physical?

Nova deserved to get 3-4 more calls than they did, but we deserved to probably get 6-7 more. So you're correct in the it's not as bad as it looked based on the difference in FTAs, but it was overall slightly tilted in their favor (even beyond the metrics and adding in typical home-court bias).

Still, I'll take the loss. I'd rather we looked as good as we did and lose, than look sloppy and win. (and that's almost never my mantra)

fisheyes
01-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Still, I'll take it. Perrantes did almost nothing today, and he's the only player we're losing this year. Jerome looks like he'll be ready to take over the point next season without us missing a beat. Despite how well we played today, we're going to be a MUCH better team next year (by leaps and bounds). Could be similar in quality to our '15 team that started 28-1 (and I think everybody here knows how the "1" was...)

Agree on the foul calls for sure.

I was clearly rooting for the Hoos to win but it's hard not to like a team that takes out the Cheaters on an awesome last second shot in the NCAAs!

Wahoo2000
01-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Agree on the foul calls for sure.

I was clearly rooting for the Hoos to win but it's hard not to like a team that takes out the Cheaters on an awesome last second shot in the NCAAs!

How could anybody not like Wright or Nova. Very easy to root for.

ACC refs, on the other hand.......

devildeac
01-29-2017, 08:54 PM

Yea, I've never seen a FT disadvantage like that before involving any UVa team. Or, with any game that Duke played at murland, f$u or Wake:rolleyes:. Oh, wait:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20140316

:rolleyes:

dukelifer
01-30-2017, 02:08 PM

UVa can hang with anyone in the country- that said they have a huge NCAA monkey on their backs. Need to shed that monkey at some point.

Troublemaker
01-30-2017, 04:25 PM
UVa can hang with anyone in the country- that said they have a huge NCAA monkey on their backs. Need to shed that monkey at some point.

The monkey shouldn't be that huge. UVA has played well in the tourney but run into hot underseeded opponents and/or fluky end-of-game runs.

One reason the monkey isn't huge is because they have time on their side. Just keep cranking out top 15 teams and eventually, you'll make a Final Four.

Olympic Fan
01-30-2017, 04:55 PM

Maybe, but when Villanova played Notre Dame on Dec. 10 (a very similar gme with Notre Dame leading most of the way and Villanova pulling it out late, Notre Dame shot six FTs ... Nova shot 22.

So in two close wins against ACC teams, Nova has outside ND/UVa 46-14 from the foul line.