PDA

View Full Version : Big win for Wojo!

1999ballboy
01-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Wojo's unranked Marquette Golden Eagles team just beat #7 Creighton in a high-scoring affair, 102-94. 7 players scored in double figures for Marquette. Congrats, Wojo! Many people are following Collins in the other thread, but all of the other former Duke assistants are off to strong starts this season as well. Marquette has had a pretty tough early schedule and have been under the radar a bit. Maybe this win will give them a bit of momentum.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Wojo's unranked Marquette Golden Eagles team just beat #7 Creighton in a high-scoring affair, 102-94. 7 players scored in double figures for Marquette. Congrats, Wojo! Many people are following Collins in the other thread, but all of the other former Duke assistants are off to strong starts this season as well. Marquette has had a pretty tough early schedule and have been under the radar a bit. Maybe this win will give them a bit of momentum.
Don't mean to bust your chops but that happened yesterday. And yes, it was a great win.

MChambers
01-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, even a day late. Maybe we can discuss Wojo's team here, instead of the Northwestern thread!

Wander
01-22-2017, 07:27 PM
It's worth noting this was Creighton's first game without (arguably) their best player, who's done for the season. Not trying to bring the mood down, but it's possible the win doesn't look as good in March as would be inferred from their current ranking.

Troublemaker
01-22-2017, 08:49 PM
It's worth noting this was Creighton's first game without (arguably) their best player, who's done for the season. Not trying to bring the mood down, but it's possible the win doesn't look as good in March as would be inferred from their current ranking.

Maurice Watson going down saddened me. I saw Creighton destroy NC State earlier in the season, and they looked like one of the most fun and explosive teams in the country.

Clay Feet POF
01-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Big game tomorrow, Nova at Home. Thrilled to see Wojo slapping the Floor again.

CDu
01-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Was just going to add that. Creighton is likely to tumble a decent amount without their star PG.

Still an important win, but Creighton isn't a top-10 team without Watson (maybe not even top-25).

Blue KevIL
01-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Wojo and the Warriors take down #1 'Nova 74-72!

fisheyes
01-24-2017, 10:16 PM
WOW! Go Wojo!

I'm seeing an early round matchup that the NCAA won't be able to resist!

westwall
01-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Number 7 and now number 1!! Unbelievable for Wojo.

Billy Dat
01-24-2017, 10:48 PM
With K out and Capel's record not stellar, Wojo and Collins making sure their hats are in the ring. Classic.

Doria
01-25-2017, 01:55 AM
Arizona isn't doing too poorly, either. But yeah, nice wins. Go, Wojo!

jv001
01-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Number 7 and now number 1!! Unbelievable for Wojo.

I watched part of the 2nd half of that game. I liked the way Wojo's team played defense. They are a hard nosed bunch of young men. Great win. Now Marquette is Walton's #1 team.
I also saw Wake lose at Syracuse. Wake got some bad calls by the officials. I guess making up for the ones they got against NCSU. GoDuke.

NM Duke Fan
01-25-2017, 07:30 AM
With K out and Capel's record not stellar, Wojo and Collins making sure their hats are in the ring. Classic.

Wojo always exemplified gutty all out effort no matter what the situation or odds, consistency and character. I am very happy for him and perhaps this is another large step forward for "Coach W." I certainly would not rule him out for a future Duke role.

1999ballboy
01-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Looks like I made this thread a game too early. Now THIS one was impressive.

CDu
01-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Looks like I made this thread a game too early. Now THIS one was impressive.

Yeah, this one definitely qualifies as a big win.

OZ
01-25-2017, 02:59 PM

... and Chris Carrawell !!!!

BandAlum83
01-25-2017, 08:59 PM
... and Chris Carrawell !!!!

Is Carrawell on Wojo's staff?

CDu
01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Is Carrawell on Wojo's staff?

Yes, and Tyler Thornton is a grad manager with the team.

Ichabod Drain
01-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Yes, and Tyler Thornton is a grad manager with the team.

Is Tyler still there? He would have finished grad school by now. Haven't heard anything about him recently.

CDu
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Is Tyler still there? He would have finished grad school by now. Haven't heard anything about him recently.

He was still there last year. Don't see any info to say he isn't still there.

Clay Feet POF
01-25-2017, 11:40 PM

Not listed on the Coaching Staff. I think he left last year.

CDu
01-26-2017, 07:09 AM
Not listed on the Coaching Staff. I think he left last year.

To be clear, he was never part of the coaching staff.

Clay Feet POF
01-26-2017, 08:30 AM
To be clear, he was never part of the coaching staff.

OK You Win.

-jk
01-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Tyler's linkedin profile (https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyler-thornton-5a13b0b0) suggests he's still there...

-jk

BandAlum83
01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Tyler's linkedin profile (https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyler-thornton-5a13b0b0) suggests he's still there...

-jk

I had no idea he speaks Italian, Spanish and Chinese!

Also surprised to see he is a 3rd degree contact for me, even though he graduated 31 years after I did and has only 92 connections.

CDu
01-26-2017, 11:36 AM
OK You Win.

I mean, I'm not saying he is definitely still there, no I'm not sure why the snippy response. I was just noting that he wouldn't be on a list of coaches, because he isn't/wasn't a coach.

He might or might not be still there. Apparently his LinkedIn profile suggests he is still there. It may be that he hasn't updated his profile (which would be weird for someone with a grad degree in communications, but not necessarily unheard of).

summerwind03
01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I wasn't surprised to see that Marquette was fined $5000 for the students rushing the court. But I was surprised that they can choose the charity it is donated to.

Marquette athletic director Bill Scholl says the fine money will be donated to Camp Hometown Heroes, a charity that allows children who have lost a parent, sibling or other loved one who served in the military to attend free summer camp. Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski has worked with the charity.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18552240/louisville-g-tony-hicks-6-8-weeks-broken-hand (scroll down)

Skydog
01-26-2017, 06:28 PM
I wasn't surprised to see that Marquette was fined $5000 for the students rushing the court. But I was surprised that they can choose the charity it is donated to.

Marquette athletic director Bill Scholl says the fine money will be donated to Camp Hometown Heroes, a charity that allows children who have lost a parent, sibling or other loved one who served in the military to attend free summer camp. Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski has worked with the charity.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18552240/louisville-g-tony-hicks-6-8-weeks-broken-hand (scroll down)
So now isn't it the students responsibility to rush the court after every game?

elvis14
01-26-2017, 11:04 PM
So now isn't it the students responsibility to rush the court after every game?

You read my mind. $5000 isn't that much $$ for a D1 basketball program (Alabama probably pays it's 3rd string football players that much per game :p) so as fans why not support a worthy cause (and have a little fun after every game). How funny would it be to see the crown rush he court after a loss....wearing camo!

Clay Feet POF
01-27-2017, 08:15 AM
I mean, I'm not saying he is definitely still there, no I'm not sure why the snippy response. I was just noting that he wouldn't be on a list of coaches, because he isn't/wasn't a coach.

He might or might not be still there. Apparently his LinkedIn profile suggests he is still there. It may be that he hasn't updated his profile (which would be weird for someone with a grad degree in communications, but not necessarily unheard of).

Sorry for the Response. I apologize, Sorry