PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Miami (Jan 21, 2017)

JBDuke
01-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Miami?

dukejim1
01-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Matty Ice

arnie
01-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Miami?

Only one possible nominee - Matt's best game as a blue devil.

CDu
01-21-2017, 10:24 PM
I obviously went with Jones. But Bolden and Jackson deserve serious kudos for their play as well.

Bob Green
01-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Unless all the players who played are listed as choices, the poll has absolutely ZERO credibility! :mad:

devildeac
01-21-2017, 10:26 PM
I'd entertain voting for Bolden. (Not saying I would but I'd consider it.)

Papa John
01-21-2017, 10:27 PM
I'll dare to be different and pick Bolden—he was disruptive on D whenever he was in the game, and had a solid effort on the offensive end as well. Brought great energy the entire time he was in today. He and Old man Jones were the keys to this one...

duke4ever19
Someone always has to be the contrarian . . .

Dr. Rosenrosen
1A - Matt
1B - Marques

jwillfan
01-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Only one possible nominee - Matt's best game as a blue devil.

I'd rank his elite 8 (or was it FF semis?) game a bit higher but that's not to knock this one. He really got us going in the 2nd half.

jv001
01-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Matt got us started with some big makes and great defense. Bolden played a fantastic game and Coach Capel started the right 5 players in the 2nd half. Their energy was off the charts. I believe that might have been the best defense ytd. I voted for Matt for his all around play, but could have voted for Bolden as well. GoDuke!

gofurman
01-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Frank Jackson showed his athleticism today too.

killerleft
01-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Bolden. His defense was absolutely awesome when we needed it most. Gets my vote.

Matt's a senior. Glad to have the real Matt back!

tbyers11
01-21-2017, 10:42 PM
There were other good players out there tonight but the play of Matt Jones in the first 7 minutes of the second half may have saved the season for this Duke team.

weezie
01-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Amile had only one foul and his leadership was crucial too.

curtis325
01-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Jones was great, but Im going with Amile. They needed him back and he got 11 rebounds.

wsb3
01-21-2017, 10:56 PM
There were other good players out there tonight but the play of Matt Jones in the first 7 minutes of the second half may have saved the season for this Duke team.

My thoughts exactly...And I concur the player of the game was Matt Jones but I would like to divert from the norm & vote for Jeff Capel for MOTM. Before Matt's crucial play in the second half..something happened in the locker room that changed everything..& I hope that we look back from a great season & say this was the night that changed everything. I don't want to even think what might have happened if we went 2-4..

Newton_14
01-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Matt Jones turned the game with defense, energy and 3 bombs. I would take a team full of him.

uh_no
01-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Bolden. His defense was absolutely awesome when we needed it most. Gets my vote.

Matt's a senior. Glad to have the real Matt back!

This is the first time I've voted on MOTM in quite a while, since I largely believe it's a team game, and hate singling out one player over the others who may have silent contributions that don't show up in gaudy numbers. What I saw from Bolden, however, was enough to make me want to reward him. Both ends of the floor. hustly, clearly we changed how he switched on screens, and suddenly he was a major asset on the defensive end...and 8 points to boot. Welcome to Duke, big fella, you just became a major contributor.

ricks68
01-21-2017, 11:35 PM
This is the first time I've voted on MOTM in quite a while, since I largely believe it's a team game, and hate singling out one player over the others who may have silent contributions that don't show up in gaudy numbers. What I saw from Bolden, however, was enough to make me want to reward him. Both ends of the floor. hustly, clearly we changed how he switched on screens, and suddenly he was a major asset on the defensive end...and 8 points to boot. Welcome to Duke, big fella, you just became a major contributor.

Mrs Ricks says it's because his shorts fit now. She noticed it when he first got on the floor. (As good a reason as any, I guess.😉)

Sure was loud in there when Matt sunk his first 3 after his steal. Then it stayed really loud for a loooooooong time after that!😆

ricks

Neals384
01-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Please, please don't wanker with the format of the MOTM and the established process whereby we all get a vote. OP may think it's a clear unanimous choice, but if so, list all the players and let the electorate have their say.

I'm voting for Bolden, as this is the game where the light came on. Clearly established himself as being a plus factor going forward. Matt was awesome, no doubt, but my vote goes to the guy who did stuff we didn't know he could do.

uh_no
01-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Please, please don't wanker with the format of the MOTM and the established process whereby we all get a vote. OP may think it's a clear unanimous choice, but if so, list all the players and let the electorate have their say.

I'm voting for Bolden, as this is the game where the light came on. Clearly established himself as being a plus factor going forward. Matt was awesome, no doubt, but my vote goes to the guy who did stuff we didn't know he could do.

yeah...not a fan (aside from not being a fan of MOTM in general..). I mean, I've seen a few games where one player is so far and away the best player on the floor (think...30 points, 10 rebounds, some assists, no TOs, and lock down D) that you'd have some splainin' to do if you voted for someone else....but this is not one of those cases.....

There are clear cases for:
Matt
Amile
Bolden &
Jayson

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Unless all the players who played are listed as choices, the poll has absolutely ZERO credibility! :mad:
I was looking forward to a poll that I FINALLY knew had to be unanimous...and then I saw the choices. That was pretty weak, JB. Totally agree with Bob; at least let the field play out without skewing the results beforehand. And...as has been justly proven by the numbers, you lose anyway, not unanimous. (Maybe even moreso had you not forced it.)

That being said, Matt got my vote. Hopefully, next time, he gets it in a square race.

vick
01-21-2017, 11:50 PM

I like this format when there's no serious argument that another player was the best basketball player on the court--this is one of those times. It's not as if you can't make your contrarian vote anyway.

duke4ever19
01-21-2017, 11:55 PM
yeah...not a fan (aside from not being a fan of MOTM in general..). I mean, I've seen a few games where one player is so far and away the best player on the floor (think...30 points, 10 rebounds, some assists, no TOs, and lock down D) that you'd have some splainin' to do if you voted for someone else...but this is not one of those cases....

There are clear cases for:
Matt
Amile
Bolden &
Jayson

Exit polls showed a strong swing in Jones' favor. And now with the results coming in . . .

63 votes for Matt

6 votes for the others.

It's a landslide victory for the DeMattocrats.

53n206
01-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Until this game I didn't realize Bolden can smile. He has a nice smile.Hopefully he can smile really often for the rest of the season.

Furniture
01-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Exit polls showed a strong swing in Jones' favor. And now with the results coming in . . .

63 votes for Matt

6 votes for the others.

dont trust polls!

ricks68
01-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Actually, my wife said before the game started that Matt would be the star tonight, and questioned why he wasn't starting. (And she didn't change her mind even after she noticed Bolden ' s shorts fitting. No kidding.)

ricks

dukelifer
01-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Jones then Jackson then Bolden

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 12:09 AM
PS...Jeff Capel was one of my legit candidates.

weezie
01-22-2017, 01:58 AM
Unless they skyped with K at halftime....

-bdbd
01-22-2017, 02:10 AM
This was a pretty easy one.

Though Bolden was terrific too.

Devilwin
01-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Been a supporter of Matt Jones all along. He was spectacular tonight. He deserves MOTM hands down.
But Bolden had his best game.
Tatum was really good in the second half.
Frank was fearless on his drives to the hoop.
Amile was Amile. His mere presence on the court held it together.
Gutsy move by Coach Capel to bench Kennard and Allen.
We needed this one bad, and the guys took it from Miami, just ripped it out of their hands.

Devilwin
01-22-2017, 05:51 AM

63 votes for Matt

6 votes for the others.

Matt just "Trumped" everyone else..lol

JWA71
01-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Jones killed Miami.

WVDUKEFAN
01-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Definitely Mr. Jones. The kind of game he played last night is what he's capable of. His shooting has been streaky, and that is being kind. With that being said, I think Marques had a GREAT game last light. In the second half, he attempted to block a shot, and I couldn't believe how high he elevated. He's a big, and a whole heck of a lot more athletic that I originally thought. His footwork on defense was impressive as well. The whole team was better defensively.

rthomas
01-22-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm with Capel. Gonna have to break out the Sweat, Jeff, Sweat! chant.

BD80
01-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Someone always has to be the contrarian . . .

That's not true ...

Indoor66
01-22-2017, 09:52 AM
I voted for Matt 'cause he deserves the recognition. That said, the man who made the whole show go was Amile. We have a chance to be good if he plays.

Edouble
01-22-2017, 10:02 AM
Bolden was my MOTM and it wasn't even close.

He turned the tide (for the season) on defense and was able to operate 30' and 3' from the basket on every play where Miami ran a ball screen. Unbelievable! Amile's presence was crucial, as well, in allowing Bolden to shine.

DukeDevilDeb
01-22-2017, 10:33 AM
I'll dare to be different and pick Bolden—he was disruptive on D whenever he was in the game, and had a solid effort on the offensive end as well. Brought great energy the entire time he was in today. He and Old man Jones were the keys to this one...

I love Matt Jones and thought he was the savior last night on both ends of the court. I have had him in 2 classes, and he is everything positive anyone has ever said about him. BUT... our offense goes nowhere without the defense. And while Matt made steal after steal and basket after basket, there was a kid out on the court who FINALLY controlled Miami's pick and roll... which has devastated us in the past and caused us to lost 4 out of the last 6 to them.

MARQUES BOLDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I voted for Matt (not that we really had a choice), but it needs to be said loud and clear... Marques' play on the defensive end of the court was absolutely magnificent in the second half. He brought ENERGY, the single biggest factor we lacked in that horrible first half. He brought skill. He brought positive attitude... And he had 8 points on the other end!

This is the first time I've really felt that we needed a MEN of the Match option. I'm hoping both of these guys will lead us out of the doldrums and back into DUKE BASKETBALL!!!

Go Devils!

Troublemaker
01-22-2017, 10:46 AM
1A - Matt
1B - Marques

This is the first time I've really felt that we needed a MEN of the Match option. I'm hoping both of these guys will lead us out of the doldrums and back into DUKE BASKETBALL!!!

Yep. As I wrote in chat last night, I would've voted for the DeSoto boys as a tandem. I can already envision CBS going to DeSoto in March for some sort of human interest segment on Matt and Marques as high school teammates before becoming 40% of #1 seed Duke's starting lineup.

Wander
01-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Would have voted for Jones, but can very easily make a case for Bolden and less easily make a case for Jefferson or Jackson.

Lamest poll in the history of DBR.

dukebluesincebirth
01-22-2017, 12:21 PM
I'll admit I've been a Matt critic (not on DBR) many times this season, but I'll gladly eat my words now. Matt won that game for us last night. Miami simply could not keep up with the Jones! Great game sir!

SupaDave
01-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Bolden was great - nice to see him getting healthy and confident. However, Bolden fed off Matt Jones' energy - not the other way around.

This game was all about Matt Jones. When he's hitting shots the whole court opens up.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Three cheers for the CROWD last night!
Love,Ima

uh_no
01-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Bolden was great - nice to see him getting healthy and confident. However, Bolden fed off Matt Jones' energy - not the other way around.

This game was all about Matt Jones. When he's hitting shots the whole court opens up.

It's splitting hairs, since "feeding off someone's energy" is somewhat nebulous as it is....but bolden was playing quite well on both ends in the first half, before matt started picking it up in the second half.

killerleft
01-22-2017, 06:04 PM
It's splitting hairs, since "feeding off someone's energy" is somewhat nebulous as it is...but bolden was playing quite well on both ends in the first half, before matt started picking it up in the second half.

Beat me to it. Bolden was just about the only bright spot in the first half. Jones was fantastic, and I have no trouble with him being the MOTM, but Jones may have been channeling Bolden. The Kid made his Marq:o!

Devilwin
01-23-2017, 05:43 AM
I sort of would like to see "Men" instead of "Man", if it is warranted, like hockey has it's three stars.
I would like to go on record as Matt's biggest supporter, even when I caught grief about it when he was struggling with his shot..lol

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Three cheers for the CROWD last night!
Love,Ima

Couldn't agree more. There is too much "Duke students are crappy fans" than "Duke students are the best fans". Okay, the "crappy fans" normally applies to Duke football (or so I've heard) but it's worth continuously praising the Crazies for their fantastic basketball performances.