PDA

View Full Version : First Post/ Kyle Singler?

dukefan_828
01-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Hi all, hope everyone is having a Great safe weekend and heres to hoping Duke can get back on track tonight! Before i get to the topic at hand since this is my first post a little about my self, a 21 yo 4th generation "die hard" duke fan :cool: Being that im still a bit on the youthful side my expertise really only dates back to 2003, i remember that uconn final four game being the first of many that i still have nightmares about! Although i have done my research and can hold conversation on 91,92,01, as well as the impact the 84 team had on the program. Proudly attended the last 3 ACC tourneys held in Greensboro :o:o unfortunately that included more hardship than hardware for us, but hey. :rolleyes: My grandparents were iron duke holders from mid 80's until i want to say 91 or 92 at which put the cost just became to much, although I myself have only had around 10 CID experiences. Have been reading on here a while decided to make an acct after FSU and just decided against adding my input, but looking forward to engaging in educated sports opinions here regularly now as i know we obviously hold ourselves to higher standards than "the other guys". Now before i get you guys angry on my first post let me get on topic!!

I have been living in asheville are the last two years and when i call home i've found myself asking this on more than one occasion when is K going to hang #12 from the raftors??! Not going to copy and paste a bunch of stats but the body of work is there and he won the big one. Top 5 all time in most major stats and wins. Coming in after JJ era the guy was really a savior for those duke teams imo and i think you have to put him on any all time duke team. Maybe not starting 5 but certainly on the team! If you guys have any info on when or why this hasnt happen yet as well as any opinon on the matter i'd love to hear, would like to see this happen sooner than later as it's well deserved and kyle signifies what a all around great duke player is to me.

LETS GO DUKE!!

Doria
01-21-2017, 07:47 PM
I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but welcome to the board!

Edouble
01-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Kyle was a great player, but does not meet the criteria for jersey retirement, which has been discussed on this board ad nauseum. He is not getting his jersey retired. He graduated and it would have happened by now.

In short, a Blue Devil needs to at least be a First Team All-American, if not National Player of the Year. National Defensive Player of the Year was good enough for Grant Hill to make it into the rafters. Kyle was a second team NABC All American his senior year.

I am really bad at the search function, but there are several threads where the nuances of jersey retirement have been discussed with some detail and thoughtfulness. I would recommend reading through these threads.

dukefan_828
01-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Kyle was a great player, but does not meet the criteria for jersey retirement, which has been discussed on this board ad nauseum. He is not getting his jersey retired. He graduated and it would have happened by now.

In short, a Blue Devil needs to at least be a First Team All-American, if not National Player of the Year. National Defensive Player of the Year was good enough for Grant Hill to make it into the rafters.

I am really bad at the search function, but there are several threads were the nuances of jersey retirement have been discussed with some detail and thoughtfulness. I would recommend reading through these threads.

Will do, thanks!

moonpie23
01-21-2017, 08:02 PM
welcome to the best college sports board in the land.....

always wear your safety belt...

dukefan_828
01-21-2017, 08:03 PM
welcome to the best college sports board in the land...

always wear your safety belt...

Saftey first... always. Lets go Duke!

Papa John
01-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Hi all, hope everyone is having a Great safe weekend and heres to hoping Duke can get back on track tonight! Before i get to the topic at hand since this is my first post a little about my self, a 21 yo 4th generation "die hard" duke fan :cool: Being that im still a bit on the youthful side my expertise really only dates back to 2003, i remember that uconn final four game being the first of many that i still have nightmares about! Although i have done my research and can hold conversation on 91,92,01, as well as the impact the 84 team had on the program. Proudly attended the last 3 ACC tourneys held in Greensboro :o:o unfortunately that included more hardship than hardware for us, but hey. :rolleyes: My grandparents were iron duke holders from mid 80's until i want to say 91 or 92 at which put the cost just became to much, although I myself have only had around 10 CID experiences. Have been reading on here a while decided to make an acct after FSU and just decided against adding my input, but looking forward to engaging in educated sports opinions here regularly now as i know we obviously hold ourselves to higher standards than "the other guys". Now before i get you guys angry on my first post let me get on topic!!

I have been living in asheville are the last two years and when i call home i've found myself asking this on more than one occasion when is K going to hang #12 from the raftors??! Not going to copy and paste a bunch of stats but the body of work is there and he won the big one. Top 5 all time in most major stats and wins. Coming in after JJ era the guy was really a savior for those duke teams imo and i think you have to put him on any all time duke team. Maybe not starting 5 but certainly on the team! If you guys have any info on when or why this hasnt happen yet as well as any opinon on the matter i'd love to hear, would like to see this happen sooner than later as it's well deserved and kyle signifies what a all around great duke player is to me.

LETS GO DUKE!!

Welcome to the board! My experience [I hesitate to say expertise; experience in terms of following the team] dates back to the mid-80s when K was architecting this grand creation. Have to agree, Kyle was a warrior, and an old-school type player who let his game do the talking and never really yapped it up out there on the floor. I tend to like those types of players more than the ones who are lippin' it up all game long... Act like you've been there, done that, and it ain't nothin' but a walk in the park... And never let any type of hard foul or physical play or verbal jabbing ever phase you... That was Kyle. He would have fit in nicely with any of K's early Duke teams—a timeless player/talent... I'd support his jersey in the rafters if the call were ever made.

Furniture
01-21-2017, 09:51 PM

LETS GO DUKE!!
Thanks for the post!!!
I love Kyle. One of my personal all time favorites! Buckets!!!!

sagegrouse
01-21-2017, 11:20 PM
Dukefan_828: Kyle's best chance for jersey retirement was his senior year, when it looked like teammate Nolan Smith might be the National Player of the Year. That season, K began to talk up Kyle, especially his career numbers, signalling that if Nolan's jersey was hoisted, so would Kyle's. Nolan had a great season and was first-team A-A but, in the end, was not in the running for NPOY. Also, Kyle had a bad shooting slump senior year and didn't get the expected recognition.

The other way to get your jersey retired is to be great player at Duke but have some terrific accomplishments outside of Duke -- the "Jeff Mullins Rule." Jeff was just on the precipice of being a first-team A-A his senior year and got some recognition as a junior (when Heyman was NPOY). Even though Jeff was first-team All ACC three times and both POY and athlete of the year, his accomplishments were a bit less than the standard for jersey retirement. But then there's the "other stuff." Jeff was Duke's first Olympian, was an NBA all-star a few times, and won an NBA championship. Then, never having coached before, he was hired as head coach at Charlotte and had a successful run there, including three conference championships. Mullins' accomplishments at Duke were less than Bob Verga's, but his jersey is the one in the rafters.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Saftey first... always. Lets go Duke!

Never trust those Asheville Duke fans...

Welcome to the fray.

ricks68
01-22-2017, 11:13 PM
Never trust those Asheville Duke fans...

Welcome to the fray.

I'll drink (a local craft beer) to that!😆

ricks

mattman91
01-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I'll drink (a local craft beer) to that!��

ricks

Me too!

dukefan_828
01-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Hey guys meet me down at the orange peel for the big game, dont forget your backpacks & hiking boots!! :cool::rolleyes:

LETS GO DUKE!