PDA

View Full Version : WBB 2017: a new hope

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2017, 10:09 AM
I don't see any threads dedicated to the women's season, and often single games are mentioned in passing in other threads, such as the one for the TV schedule, so I'm putting this one up for those to offer thoughts on the remainder of this year. I didn't see the game last night, but it looks like the women responded strongly to their close loss at State. They (currently ranked 15th) trounced #17 VT 84-59 in Cameron last night.
Coach P's team has now played 6 teams in the top 20, with a record of 4-2 in those matchups. The losses came against then #23 NCSU (they are very good, and that ranking merely reflected their climb from not being ranked at all; they are now 21st, which is ridiculous...talk about no respect) and # 6 FSU.
The upcoming schedule favors continued success, with only one ranked team on the list (ND, 1/26) before they play Miami on February 19th. Both of those games are at home, so that's a plus.
Barring a total collapse, this team will be back in the NCAA's, and playing the first rounds in Cameron once again. This team is markedly different than last year's squad. Gone are the transfers, gone are the continuous bad games (knock on wood), gone are the grumbling of fans (knock, knock, knock), gone are the injuries (LOTS of knocking!).
The squad on the court are playing very well, and looking like they are having a fun time while doing it. When they are not producing, our stars shoes are filled nicely by others that find ways to step up. In a tight conference, the women are 4th in the standings; that's a pretty respectable place to be, with big opportunities on the horizon to move into any one of the spots of them.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season holds, and the post season beyond. Also looking forward to reading the thoughts of others. LGD!

du_bb1
01-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Watched parts last night--3rd quarter was impressive-shut down D and Lexie was H O T.
Interesting sideline action after VT call for flagrant. Have no idea of particulars but VT coach (male) was
getting in to coach P's personal space and ref separated ??

From what I have seen this year they are valuing the ball much better than past years with
improved ball handling, seem to have good chemistry-overall better than had anticipated.:o

Kedsy
01-20-2017, 10:47 AM
I did see last night's game (on ESPN3). The team looked good. Lexie dominated (29 pts, 4 assts, 0 to's, 3 stls), and Becca did her thing (18 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assts, 3 stls), and clearly the two of them are what make the team go. But I was also impressed with the supporting cast. Kyra has been great (10 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assts, 2 stls), and is shooting 48% from three-point range this season (!). Leaonna (8 pts, 6rebs) gets better every game, Kendall has expanded her range out to about 18 feet, Oderah is one of the leading shotblockers in the ACC, and Erin just seems to do all the little things you need. Our team defense has been strong, and was outstanding against VaTech.

I don't think DBR discussed the State game, either. We were down 14 at the half and came all the way back to take a lead, though we ended up losing a close one in large part (ironically) because of, of all things, a Lexie Brown missed free throw (which hadn't happened before that since the Bush administration, or so it seemed, so I think she gets a pass for missing one). I was really proud of the way the team played and fought back in that game.

I have to say, I never thought the team would be this good after the personnel losses at the end of last season. Obviously, Lexie is the key, but I think all the players and coaches should be congratulated for what they've accomplished so far.

Here's hoping the accomplishments continue.

dudog84
01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
I don't see any threads dedicated to the women's season, and often single games are mentioned in passing in other threads, such as the one for the TV schedule, so I'm putting this one up for those to offer thoughts on the remainder of this year. I didn't see the game last night, but it looks like the women responded strongly to their close loss at State. They (currently ranked 15th) trounced #17 VT 84-59 in Cameron last night.
Coach P's team has now played 6 teams in the top 20, with a record of 4-2 in those matchups. The losses came against then #23 NCSU (they are very good, and that ranking merely reflected their climb from not being ranked at all; they are now 21st, which is ridiculous...talk about no respect) and # 6 FSU.
The upcoming schedule favors continued success, with only one ranked team on the list (ND, 1/26) before they play Miami on February 19th. Both of those games are at home, so that's a plus.
Barring a total collapse, this team will be back in the NCAA's, and playing the first rounds in Cameron once again. This team is markedly different than last year's squad. Gone are the transfers, gone are the continuous bad games (knock on wood), gone are the grumbling of fans (knock, knock, knock), gone are the injuries (LOTS of knocking!).
The squad on the court are playing very well, and looking like they are having a fun time while doing it. When they are not producing, our stars shoes are filled nicely by others that find ways to step up. In a tight conference, the women are 4th in the standings; that's a pretty respectable place to be, with big opportunities on the horizon to move into any one of the spots of them.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season holds, and the post season beyond. Also looking forward to reading the thoughts of others. LGD!

Small correction, Notre Dame is away next week. Though not so small considering the way the ladies are playing at home. :)

Amazing what chemistry and health can do to a basketball team. Hope both continue, I'll live with the results.

Steven43
01-20-2017, 01:40 PM
I did see last night's game (on ESPN3). The team looked good. Lexie dominated (29 pts, 4 assts, 0 to's, 3 stls), and Becca did her thing (18 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assts, 3 stls), and clearly the two of them are what make the team go. But I was also impressed with the supporting cast. Kyra has been great (10 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assts, 2 stls), and is shooting 48% from three-point range this season (!). Leaonna (8 pts, 6rebs) gets better every game, Kendall has expanded her range out to about 18 feet, Oderah is one of the leading shotblockers in the ACC, and Erin just seems to do all the little things you need. Our team defense has been strong, and was outstanding against VaTech.

I don't think DBR discussed the State game, either. We were down 14 at the half and came all the way back to take a lead, though we ended up losing a close one in large part (ironically) because of, of all things, a Lexie Brown missed free throw (which hadn't happened before that since the Bush administration, or so it seemed, so I think she gets a pass for missing one). I was really proud of the way the team played and fought back in that game.

I have to say, I never thought the team would be this good after the personnel losses at the end of last season. Obviously, Lexie is the key, but I think all the players and coaches should be congratulated for what they've accomplished so far.

Here's hoping the accomplishments continue.
Thank you for the update. Haven't been closely following the team this season, as I was just so disturbed at the negative things that were being said about Coach McCallie over the last few years that I had lost hope for the program to ever be able to move forward in a positive way under her leadership. I was just counting the days until Kevin White made a coaching change.

But you know, it is absolutely possible for Coach McCallie to have gained fresh insight and from that to have learned some things of significance that have allowed her to grow as a person and a coach through what have been some exceedingly trying times. It doesn't happen often. Most people are who they are and never make significant positive changes in their life, even though they may have great incentive for doing so.

Perhaps Kevin White is even smarter than I thought, and I already held him in the highest regard. I'm happy to see the women doing well and I'm going to start following the team much more closely going forward. Thanks Kedsy.

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Small correction, Notre Dame is away next week.

That's a pretty major correction! I misread the schedule on ESPN's page. (But they're fake news anyway, right? :rolleyes:)

ND is not the team it was last year, but they are still an elite program and that will be one tough atmosphere. It will be an excellent challenge for our women.

killerleft
01-20-2017, 03:30 PM
I can only echo the optimistic nature of this thread. Thanks to CB&B for starting it!

Saw the game against our rivals from Chapaheeya live. Always great to net a win against the Cheatin' Sylvias.

I'm hoping to see a couple more games at Cameron before the regular season ends. This team plays hard and seems to be a tight-knit group. More people in the stands would be very nice. They deserve it!

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2017, 04:01 PM
I can only echo the optimistic nature of this thread. Thanks to CB&B for starting it!

Saw the game against our rivals from Chapaheeya live. Always great to net a win against the Cheatin' Sylvias.

I'm hoping to see a couple more games at Cameron before the regular season ends. This team plays hard and seems to be a tight-knit group. More people in the stands would be very nice. They deserve it!

I hope that the crowds are growing this year. That would be a great reinforcement for this team. Have those that attended games noticed this to be the case? The crowds have sounded decent on tv/radio.
Side note to the mod that changed the title from DWB to WBB...you do know that the team proudly promotes "DWB" to identify themselves, right? (Duke Women's Basketball for those that are unfamiliar.)

burnspbesq
01-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Worth noting that this is the quickest Duke team in memory. They can play effective man defense. Lexie gets a lot of deflections. When they do play the matchup zone, they are able to close out to the corners quickly enough to contest what in past years would have been open threes.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Worth noting that this is the quickest Duke team in memory. They can play effective man defense. Lexie gets a lot of deflections. When they do play the matchup zone, they are able to close out to the corners quickly enough to contest what in past years would have been open threes.

So, you're saying that it's a fast tractor?

{ducks}

Really proud of the WBB this year. I hope Kevin White's faith in the program is rewarded; the players are happy; and our coach succeeds.

LGD!

DST Fan
01-21-2017, 08:21 AM
I thought the tractor was only part of the offensive scheme.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2017, 09:07 AM
I thought the tractor was only part of the offensive scheme.

probably. I never really understood it. I do not find tractors offensive in the least.

DukieInKansas
01-21-2017, 10:19 AM
probably. I never really understood it. I do not find tractors offensive in the least.

And they can be very useful.

burnspbesq
01-21-2017, 04:35 PM
So, you're saying that it's a fast tractor?

Think BMW wagon with a plow attachment.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Sloppy first half against BC, including a last second foul against a three point shooter who sunk all three free throws. The women lead by only 1, 29-28.
10 turnovers in the half and under 40% shooting have not helped us. Still another half to play though, so lots of time to make improvements. LGD!

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Half way into the third quarter, Duke came alive! The team turned a 5 point deficit into a 15 point lead. Boom!

burnspbesq
01-22-2017, 03:35 PM
The lead is up to 23 with 6:30 to go in the fourth. BC has gone eleven minutes without a basket.

Is BC a SEC team, circa 1963? Not a single African-American player in uniform.

ETA: Oops, I was wrong. They have one.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Want defense? Duke is currently in the midst of a 34-2 run. That is insane.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 03:53 PM
67-44 pt win. BC only scored 16 in the second half (and had Duke simply dribbled out to end the half instead of turning it over and enabling a last second 3 from the Eagles, it would have been only 13).

Like the men last night, a tale of two halves. On to South Bend!

Kedsy
01-22-2017, 04:13 PM
67-44 pt win. BC only scored 16 in the second half (and had Duke simply dribbled out to end the half instead of turning it over and enabling a last second 3 from the Eagles, it would have been only 13).

Like the men last night, a tale of two halves. On to South Bend!

Yeah, down by 4 early in the 3rd quarter and then a 34-2 run. On the road. It was something to see.

burnspbesq
01-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Crazy day in the ACC. Including Wake's OT win over GaTech, only two games were decided by single digits. And Duke's 23-point margin wasn't close to the biggest of the day; that would belong to Cuse, who beat Miami by 33. VaTech followed up its 25-point drubbing by Duke with a 28-point loss to FSU; the Hokies may not be in the top 25 tomorrow.

This may be blasphemy (bless me, Father, for I have sinned), but I think Duke has a shot against ND on Thursday.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Crazy day in the ACC. Including Wake's OT win over GaTech, only two games were decided by single digits. And Duke's 23-point margin wasn't close to the biggest of the day; that would belong to Cuse, who beat Miami by 33. VaTech followed up its 25-point drubbing by Duke with a 28-point loss to FSU; the Hokies may not be in the top 25 tomorrow.

This may be blasphemy (bless me, Father, for I have sinned), but I think Duke has a shot against ND on Thursday.

And the Canes are in for a huge drop. As you pointed out...that was a drubbing.
Sylvia's girls continued their season of futility with Notre Dame's warmup match against us; every time I see the Lady Heels play, I smile in hopes of this being a foreshadowing of the men after the hammer falls. (I have faith it will fall.)

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Nice team honor.

Women's basketball: Duke Blue Devils named Team of the Week

The Blue Devils, 17-3 overall and 5-2 in Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) play, made notice earlier in the season that they are back with wins over South Carolina, Kentucky and Louisville in December and early January. Last week Duke scored victories over 17th-ranked Virginia Tech and Boston College to remain in the mix for a possible ACC regular season title run.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-01-24/womens-basketball-duke-blue-devils-named-team-week

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Duke @ Notre Dame.

Tough loss tonight. DWB definitely had their chances, and played the part of spoiler for a good part of the game. Just not the better part.
While the final score (62-58) doesn't reflect it, this game felt over with 5 minutes left to play. The women were down by almost double digits, and put on an impressive rally fueled by some great defensive press, but too little, too late.

Still, to walk away from South Bend in defeat by only 4, it can fuel their fire for the remainder of the regular season as they look towards a hopeful rematch in the ACC tourney.

Kedsy
01-26-2017, 11:46 PM
Duke @ Notre Dame.

Tough loss tonight. DWB definitely had their chances, and played the part of spoiler for a good part of the game. Just not the better part.
While the final score (62-58) doesn't reflect it, this game felt over with 5 minutes left to play. The women were down by almost double digits, and put on an impressive rally fueled by some great defensive press, but too little, too late.

Still, to walk away from South Bend in defeat by only 4, it can fuel their fire for the remainder of the regular season as they look towards a hopeful rematch in the ACC tourney.

Notre Dame went on a run in the fourth quarter to seemingly put the game out of reach before Duke almost came back, but this game was neck and neck for three quarters (as well as in the final score). We had our chances, so it's a little disappointing, but overall playing that close at Notre Dame is an achievement.

Another achievement, apart from the final score: Duke did not look outmatched in this game. We looked pretty even with Notre Dame. Whether that's because they're a little down this year or because of Duke's improvement (or, more likely, some combination), it's a step in the right direction.

burnspbesq
01-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Duke's conference schedule was very front-loaded; 5-3 is not a bad record at this point. They should go 7-1 the rest of the way, and 8-0 is certainly possible.

Karl Beem
01-27-2017, 10:21 AM
The ND announcer said that Duke was #2 in the ACC!

dudog84
01-27-2017, 12:20 PM
The only disappointing thing about last night was the final score. Notre Dame was the preseason #1, and we lost by 4 at their place. Hated the last 30 seconds of the 3rd quarter, 2 bad turnovers took us from a possible lead to a 4-point deficit. But they never stopped fighting. Love this team.

At #6 FSU has been our only loss by more than 4 points this season. Perfect at home. Handed South Carolina their only loss. This team can play with anyone. Lexie is everything we could have hoped for. Becca is in a bit of a slump right now but she'll come out of it, better now than in March. Like Erin's interior passing. I could go through every single player and have a lot more good to say than bad.

This is fun, enjoy it.

devildeac
01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
The only disappointing thing about last night was the final score. Notre Dame was the preseason #1, and we lost by 4 at their place. Hated the last 30 seconds of the 3rd quarter, 2 bad turnovers took us from a possible lead to a 4-point deficit. But they never stopped fighting. Love this team.

At #6 FSU has been our only loss by more than 4 points this season. Perfect at home. Handed South Carolina their only loss. This team can play with anyone. Lexie is everything we could have hoped for. Becca is in a bit of a slump right now but she'll come out of it, better now than in March. Like Erin's interior passing. I could go through every single player and have a lot more good to say than bad.

This is fun, enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUF2rV9rhsY

;)

killerleft
01-27-2017, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUF2rV9rhsY

;)

And it's at Cameron Outdoor!

jwillfan
01-27-2017, 01:11 PM

This is fun, enjoy it.

It *is* fun. The reason I stopped going to games was that they just didn't compete against good teams - in fact it was the ND game at home a couple of years ago that made me step away. It was embarrassing for them. Am SO glad to see them not only win, but be in the games they are losing to good teams. This team just has a different feel than the last 3-4 years. Maybe it's Lexie and coach is content to let her take over, but I don't think that's it. Looking forward to attending a few more games this season

dudog84
01-28-2017, 10:12 AM
As much as I hate to link to ESPN, here's an article on Lexie with some Becca thrown in:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18562825/lexie-brown-helps-steer-duke-blue-devils-back-nation-elite

Hey jwillfan, when did you add that tag below your posts? That's pretty funny.

Karl Beem
01-28-2017, 10:51 AM
It *is* fun. The reason I stopped going to games was that they just didn't compete against good teams - in fact it was the ND game at home a couple of years ago that made me step away. It was embarrassing for them. Am SO glad to see them not only win, but be in the games they are losing to good teams. This team just has a different feel than the last 3-4 years. Maybe it's Lexie and coach is content to let her take over, but I don't think that's it. Looking forward to attending a few more games this season

Hey BB played by tall, strapping, good looking babes - what's not to like!

chrishoke
01-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Great first half today at home against Wake - Lexie caps it off going coast to coast in 5.9 seconds and Duke leads 37-20.

chrishoke
01-29-2017, 02:20 PM
53-25 now. Lexie with 4 threes and 24 points. Go to hell WF.

devildeac
01-29-2017, 02:32 PM
53-25 now. Lexie with 4 threes and 24 points. Go to hell WF.

Any reports of wake players bear-hugging our players and throwing them into chairs? :rolleyes::mad:

chrishoke
01-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Any reports of wake players bear-hugging our players and throwing them into chairs? :rolleyes::mad:

LOL. Wake did get called for a contact technical.

DU82
01-29-2017, 05:03 PM
LOL. Wake did get called for a contact technical.

Kinda lame call. The Wake player pushed Erin trying to get to Rebecca, who sank the three. I guess the call was the Wake player hit Erin in the throat, that was the only thing we could figure (we only saw the replay once in Cameron.) Took Howard, Fine and Howard a while to review the play. (They were, as usual for the women's game, mediocre at best.)

Solid game for the women after the usual sluggish start. Wake hit 4 out of 8 threes early, then missed the next 8, I believe, before hitting a couple late when it didn't matter. The defense really shut them down after that (adjustments in the first quarter). On offense, Lexie was the star, again, but Leaonna is really coming on strong, with a double-double. She seems to really be in the flow, and the game is becoming easier to her. Making good adjustments for a freshman. Rebecca's shot has been off, but contributes on D and on rebounds. Kendall played well, as did Erin, which put Oderah on the bench for I believe the entire second half. I saw her holding her arm after a play in the first half, so she may have been hurt. I wish Faith and/or Crystal would develop a shot, since they're playing good D.

The team needs to stay focused and not slip up against the bottom of the conference. The two toughest games are at home against Syracuse and Miami, so that helps. Seeing that the sartorially challenged cheating evil smurfs beat State today, we're tied for fourth, one behind Louisville (it'll be tough to catch ND and FSU.) I think we have a solid chance of running the table and finishing in the top four, and the double-bye, in the ACC tournament.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2017, 05:10 PM
The lady heels pulled out a rare ACC win today, dominating NCSU. This moved Duke back into a tie for fourth in the standings. (With State and Syracuse, all at 6-3). Only thing it helped with Sylvia's ladies was their pride; they are still in the basement.

Indoor66
01-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Only thing it helped with Sylvia's ladies was their pride; they are still in the basement.

Fitting, truly fitting.

devildeac
01-29-2017, 07:12 PM
The lady heels pulled out a rare ACC win today, dominating NCSU. This moved Duke back into a tie for fourth in the standings. (With State and Syracuse, all at 6-3). Only thing it helped with Sylvia's ladies was their pride; they are still in the basement.

Would that be the bargain basement? :rolleyes:

jwillfan
01-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Hey jwillfan, when did you add that tag below your posts? That's pretty funny.

Added it when I became self conscious during the J Will rants regarding Grayson. Felt like I had to 'splain myself since I can't change my user name on the board. To me they are 2 different people. Clarification!

burnspbesq
01-30-2017, 02:20 AM
Kinda lame call. The Wake player pushed Erin trying to get to Rebecca, who sank the three. I guess the call was the Wake player hit Erin in the throat, that was the only thing we could figure (we only saw the replay once in Cameron.) Took Howard, Fine and Howard a while to review the play. (They were, as usual for the women's game, mediocre at best.)

Solid game for the women after the usual sluggish start. Wake hit 4 out of 8 threes early, then missed the next 8, I believe, before hitting a couple late when it didn't matter. The defense really shut them down after that (adjustments in the first quarter). On offense, Lexie was the star, again, but Leaonna is really coming on strong, with a double-double. She seems to really be in the flow, and the game is becoming easier to her. Making good adjustments for a freshman. Rebecca's shot has been off, but contributes on D and on rebounds. Kendall played well, as did Erin, which put Oderah on the bench for I believe the entire second half. I saw her holding her arm after a play in the first half, so she may have been hurt. I wish Faith and/or Crystal would develop a shot, since they're playing good D.

The team needs to stay focused and not slip up against the bottom of the conference. The two toughest games are at home against Syracuse and Miami, so that helps. Seeing that the sartorially challenged cheating evil smurfs beat State today, we're tied for fourth, one behind Louisville (it'll be tough to catch ND and FSU.) I think we have a solid chance of running the table and finishing in the top four, and the double-bye, in the ACC tournament.

It was a bad call, but not for the reason you mention. It was very high, and potentially dangerous, but IMO it should have been a flagrant 1. Not that I mind very much having Lexie shoot the FTs instead of Erin.

CameronBornAndBred
01-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Duke is at 15 in the AP poll today (coaches is released on Tuesday), which is a fair spot...not much change. The women Wuffies only dropped one, to 19th, despite the huge, sad loss to the Heels. VT dropped out entirely..finally! They should have been gone a week ago, but somehow had stayed in the top 20 despite a losing conference record. This week's loss cemented their disappearance.
Higher up ACC teams include FSU (6th), ND (7th), Louisville (9th), and Miami sits right behind DWB at 16. Syracuse rounds out the ACC at 24; that is an impressive seven teams from our conference in the top 25.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2017, 10:08 PM
NCSU's win over Louisville tonight moves us into a 4 way tie for 3rd place.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/standings

burnspbesq
02-03-2017, 10:22 AM
If that game felt like trench warfare, that's because it was; Duke had only 64 possessions vs. its season average of over 72 per game. The tractor did what the tractor does; Duke was slightly below its season average of 1.029 points per possession. The defensive end was another story: Duke was brilliant. The Blue Devils are sixth in the country in ponts allowed per defensive possession, at 0.749. Clemson got 0.587, an astonishing .288 below the Tigers' season average.

If you defend like that every night, you win a lot.

dudog84
02-03-2017, 01:28 PM
NCSU's win over Louisville tonight moves us into a 4 way tie for 3rd place.

At the risk of jinxing us...

We should run the regular season table. Of the teams left to play, only Syracuse and Miami are above .500 in the conference and we have both at home. Where we are undefeated.

Syracuse will drop from the tie if we beat them. We win the head-to-head tiebreaker with Louisville, lose it with NC State (both would also have to win out). Basically, if we take care of business we don't have to worry about what anyone else does and will get an all-important double bye in the ACC Tournament.

Nice season ladies! Keep it up!

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2017, 02:59 PM
An expected victory comes to fruition today, as DWB dominated UVA in Charlottesville. Despite it being a one sided contest, it didn't start that way. I tuned in about halfway through the 1st quarter, and Duke was down 8-0. My girlfriend said "wow, Duke is losing." I tossed in "By a lot." Literally, about a minute later, my girlfriend looked up and said "What happened?! How is that possible?" Duke was ahead, 9-8. Awesome run to set the tone for the rest of the game.
Side observation, UVA looked to have a really good crowd in attendance; it's nice to see our women play so well in a hostile environment.

Duke drives back home to Durham, 70-51 victors.

burnspbesq
02-05-2017, 03:14 PM
An expected victory comes to fruition today, as DWB dominated UVA in Charlottesville. Despite it being a one sided contest, it didn't start that way. I tuned in about halfway through the 1st quarter, and Duke was down 8-0. My girlfriend said "wow, Duke is losing." I tossed in "By a lot." Literally, about a minute later, my girlfriend looked up and said "What happened?! How is that possible?" Duke was ahead, 9-8. Awesome run to set the tone for the rest of the game.
Side observation, UVA looked to have a really good crowd in attendance; it's nice to see our women play so well in a hostile environment.

Duke drives back home to Durham, 70-51 victors.

Duke shot 55 percent from the field, including 8-17 from three. Greenie came out of the locker room hot and stayed lot, leading the way with 21 on 7-10 (4-6 from three). Lexie had 17. Duke forced 17 turnovers, and converted them into around 25 points (waiting for the official box score). Solid win. Cuse comes to town Friday; shutting down the Orange offense will be a big challenge.

Kedsy
02-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Despite it being a one sided contest, it didn't start that way. I tuned in about halfway through the 1st quarter, and Duke was down 8-0. My girlfriend said "wow, Duke is losing." I tossed in "By a lot." Literally, about a minute later, my girlfriend looked up and said "What happened?! How is that possible?" Duke was ahead, 9-8. Awesome run to set the tone for the rest of the game.

What happened after that was just as impressive. UVa hit a 3 to go back ahead 11-9, and then Duke scored 14 more in a row, making the total run 23-3 after digging ourselves the 8-0 hole. Then, for the entire 3rd quarter, we outscored them 23-6.

Kendall had 3 blocks and 2 steals, Leaonna had 3 blocks, and Kyra and Becca had 3 steals each. Shooting guard Becca led the team in rebounds with 6, which isn't unusual because she leads the team in rebounds for the season. Erin had a very efficient game, not missing anything, with 2 for 2 from the field, 2 for 2 from the line, and 2 assists against zero turnovers. Kyra had 5 assists against only 1 turnover. Oderah shot 4 for 5 and had 8 pts, 5 rebs, and a block in only 15 minutes. Against one of the best defenses in the conference, we only turned the ball over 11 times. Overall, nice win.

CameronBornAndBred
02-06-2017, 09:10 AM
A look at the top of the ACC standings as we head into the homestretch leading up to the conference tourney in Myrtle Beach.

Florida State (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/52/florida-state-seminoles)
9-1
21-2

Notre Dame (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/87/notre-dame-fighting-irish)
9-1
21-3

Duke (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/150/duke-blue-devils)
8-3
20-4

Syracuse (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/183/syracuse-orange)
8-3
17-7

Louisville (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/97/louisville-cardinals)
7-3
20-5

NC State (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/152/nc-state-wolfpack)
7-3
17-6

Miami (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2390/miami-hurricanes)
6-4
17-5

Pretty nice spot for Duke to be in.

CameronBornAndBred
02-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Duke remains in the list for the top 16 seeds in the NCAA tourney. This is important, since those seeds open at home.

The top seeds are No.1 UCONN, No. 2 Baylor, No. 3 South Carolina and No. 4 Mississippi State...
The rest of the seedings after the top four were: 5. Florida State, 6. Notre Dame, 7. Oregon State, 8. Stanford, 9. Maryland, 10. Washington, 11. Texas, 12. Duke, 13. Louisville, 14. UCLA, 15. NC State, 16. DePaul.
The top-16 seeds will host the early rounds of the NCAA tournament, provided they don't have a scheduling conflict with their facility. The early rounds will run March 17-20.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18633712/uconn-remains-overall-no-1-spot-ncaa-women-basketball-committee-top-16-latest-reveal

DoubleBlue
02-08-2017, 12:45 AM
Lexie Brown's fresh start in Durham reinvigorates Duke, her passion for the game
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18562825/lexie-brown-helps-steer-duke-blue-devils-back-nation-elite

So while Brown playing basketball in a Duke uniform still feels new to those of us who only ever saw her in Maryland colors, the partnership with Greenwell builds. It has already produced wins against South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville and Virginia Tech, restoring the ranking once a given for the Blue Devils. The two average 34.1 points per game between them and have scored 46 percent of Duke's points this season, comparable to the share produced by Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson for UConn.

chrishoke
02-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Biggest game of the year coming up this Friday at home against Syracuse. Win that game and I believe wi we secure an ACC tourney bye and home court for the first two rounds of the NCAA tourney.

dudog84
02-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Ask and it shall be answered...

Was thinking that Haley Gorecki would have to be redshirted this year with only 5 regular season games left and was going to ask the board, but decided to check goduke first.

In the Syracuse game notes, it was announced that she is indeed going to be redshirted. This will put her in Leaonna Odom's class where we didn't have any guards, so maybe not a bad thing overall.

Wishing Haley the best so she can come back at 100%.

burnspbesq
02-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Duke is off to a sensational start against Cuse: up 16 at the half. Orange shooting less than 30 percent and getting less than 0.65 ppp.

chrishoke
02-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Duke wins 72-55, Becca w/ 18. Duke shoots 50%.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Like a well-oiled tractor.

Congrats, Devils!

Kedsy
02-11-2017, 01:24 AM
Duke wins 72-55, Becca w/ 18. Duke shoots 50%.

What a difference a year makes.

Interesting stats for the day: Lexie and Becca combine for 21 rebounds. Kendall and Oderah combine for 28 points.

burnspbesq
02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Duke once again living off its ACC-leading (first in both points allowed and defensive efficiency) defense against Pitt. Blue Devils leading by ten at halftime, 29-19. Sloppy, sleepy offense for Duke, but the Panthers are shooting 26 percent from the floor.

DU82
02-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Duke once again living off its ACC-leading (first in both points allowed and defensive efficiency) defense against Pitt. Blue Devils leading by ten at halftime, 29-19. Sloppy, sleepy offense for Duke, but the Panthers are shooting 26 percent from the floor.

Tired, I think. Same turnaround as the men did yesterday. Decent shot selection, just not falling.

Pitt adjusted a Bit in the second quarter. They couldn't do anything in the half court O in the first Q.

Reasonable flow to the first half, few fouls (the refs didn't really miss many) as opposed to playing Louisville or the Cheaters, who hack away down low, figuring the refs can't call them all. For -jk, this is his flowy hoops ( but with more layups missed!)

fisheyes
02-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Well, this is interesting:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/02/come-back-to-cameron

Hank Tucker makes a strong argument for the fans to put aside their distaste for the Coach and turn out to support the team on Senior Day.

It's a very good argument.

Go Duke!!!

killerleft
02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Being 'liked' is not near the top of the list of attributes I'd want in a head coach.

This Duke team has something going for it that recent ones haven't. I won't bring it up for reasons of superstition. Not mine, but other people's, of course.:o

We dribble better. We defend better. These women play extremely hard, but I've never seen one of McCallie's teams that hasn't.

Somehow, the unexpected loss of two prominent players from last year have resulted in a better team. What do we make of that?

Unrelated, I could get used to not being sent private messages asking me to join the 'ABM' train.

Finally, Go Duke! What a pleasant season so far.

DukieInKansas
02-14-2017, 11:02 AM
Wish I were closer so I could go on Sunday. I'll be cheering and thanking the Seniors from Kansas.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
I don't know if the chemistry has improved, or if Kevin White's review last summer had an impact, or if winning cures all ills, or whatever. The team is rolling and there's plenty of room on the bandwagon. This is the kind of year Coach P and the team definitely needed and deserved.

LGD!

CameronBornAndBred
02-14-2017, 04:39 PM
On board with all of the recent posts above. DWB is ranked 13th AP, 14th Coaches and we are solidly in 3rd place in the ACC, at the best time of year we can we be there.
Not rehashing, but I have lingering issues with Coach P. I was a strong supporter forever, and last year killed that enthusiasm. That was very hard on me to do. I'm not ready to give my trust so blindly (or at least through tinted glasses)...but there are two main reasons that this team is doing so well this year and she is one of them. The other reason is the team itself. For both entities to have come together so strongly as one thus far this season has me happy and confident of better days ahead.

I am really enjoying this year as a fan, and that is why I love to watch Duke Women's Basketball. If I were able, I would be there Sunday.

dudog84
02-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Our ladies won their 6th straight at Wake tonight, had a lead of around 30 points for most of the 4th quarter. Oderah lost half a tooth…and came back into the game a few minutes later.

Only have to split the final 2 games (Miami, at uNC) to wrap up the all-important double-bye in the ACC Tournament. Should win both, the girls are running like a fine-tuned machine.

Notre Dame only beat Clemson by 4 tonight, Florida State lost to Virginia. We can win the Tournament this year.

burnspbesq
02-16-2017, 09:12 PM
UVa won the fourth quarter, 18-5. FSU's Shakayla Thomas sat out the fourth with her right arm in a sling.

Duke was careless with the ball early, and Wake had a nice run at the end of the first half to trail by only seven. Duke took control by scoring nine points on its first four possessions of the third, and never looked back. After a slow start Lexie caught fire after halftime and finished with 24 and seven assists. Oderah, in addition to the tooth, had 17 (on 7-9 shooting) and eight.

Duke shot 50.8% from the field, while holding Wake to 34 percent and 0.736 PPP and forcing 21 turnovers.

Miami comes to town Sunday for Senior Day. A big turnout would be nice. Oderah and Kendall deserve it.

dudog84
02-16-2017, 09:19 PM
UVa won the fourth quarter, 18-5. FSU's Shakayla Thomas sat out the fourth with her right arm in a sling.

Duke was careless with the ball early, and Wake had a nice run at the end of the first half to trail by only seven. Duke took control by scoring nine points on its first four possessions of the third, and never looked back. After a slow start Lexie caught fire after halftime and finished with 24 and seven assists. Oderah, in addition to the tooth, had 17 (on 7-9 shooting) and eight.

Duke shot 50.8% from the field, while holding Wake to 34 percent and 0.736 PPP and forcing 21 turnovers.

Miami comes to town Sunday for Senior Day. A big turnout would be nice. Oderah and Kendall deserve it.

Yes, very much so!

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2017, 09:49 PM
FSU has now lost two in a row. They have a showdown with ND looming to close out their regular season; it is not inconceivable for us to be tied with them for 2nd heading into the ACC tournament. (I think the Noles get the 2 seed due to them winning our lone head to head matchup.)
The Heels pulled out a last second squeaker vs GT tonight, a battle of two basement dwellers.
Both of Duke's upcoming games should be victories, but both could be trap games. I won't rest easy until the final horn sounds in Chapel Hill, and our women drive back to Durham in victory. Stay focused, ladies, LGD!!!

burnspbesq
02-16-2017, 10:20 PM
Yes, very much so!

If I lived within a three-hour drive, I would be there on Sunday, but I don't even live within a three-hour flight.

dudog84
02-16-2017, 11:07 PM
If I lived within a three-hour drive, I would be there on Sunday, but I don't even live within a three-hour flight.

I'm only an hour flight, but I won't make it either. I was back on campus for the first time in about 20 years this fall, and was quite nostalgic for how nice it would be to be local and be able to go to more Duke events, not just sports.

Kedsy
02-17-2017, 12:22 AM
...and forcing 21 turnovers.

The other thing about Duke's D is how many live ball turnovers we force. Against Wake, Duke scored 32 points off the 21 turnovers while Wake only had 17 points off of Duke's 17 turnovers (as burnspbesq pointed out, we were careless with the ball early, with almost half our turnovers (8) coming in the first quarter). That's in large part because most of Duke's TOs were of the dead ball variety, while Duke had 12 steals, all of which seemed to turn into fast breaks.

du_bb1
02-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Nice three hour drive--will be there

burnspbesq
02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Watched a replay of UVa's surprising win over FSU. The Hoos bore no resemblance to the team we beat handily 12 days ago. They fought and fought and fought some more, answered every Noles run with a run of their own, and got a monster fourth quarter from a freshman group that grew up all of a sudden. They crushed the league's top rebounding team by 10 on the glass and held the league's top scoring team 31 points below their season average. The two freshman post players, Aiyeton from Nigeria and Jabolonowski from Luxembourg (!), came off the bench to combime for 14 boards in about 30 minutes. Toussaint's step-back three with the shot clock about to expire, that gave Virginia the lead for good, was a star-in-the-making play.

They could be turning into the team that you don't want to have to play on Friday in Conway.

dudog84
02-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Here's a wild thought...

Coach P has to be a frontrunner for ACC Coach of the Year. That has to make some people's heads explode.

Offseason of losses and turmoil, we were picked pre-season to finish 6th in the ACC, unranked nationally (16 total votes - HA!), and are now on the verge of top 10 nationally.

Notre Dame has "underperformed", they were picked #1 nationally in the pre-season. Sue Semrau at FSU was a strong contender until the last 2 games (and they've done about as expected). Louisville has also "underperformed", they were #5 nationally pre-season. Miami and Syracuse were tied at #14 pre-season, and now they're at #16 and #21.

Wes Moore at NC State is the only real competition. Picked 7th pre-season ACC, unranked nationally (no votes) and currently #15. We're virtually tied in the ACC but our overall record is better (23-4 vs. 20-6). If we had just beaten State (3-point loss in Raleigh) I think it would be a lock.

Discuss... :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Here's a wild thought...

Coach P has to be a frontrunner for ACC Coach of the Year. That has to make some people's heads explode.

I would say that "some people" seem to have disappeared from this board after the gloom and doom posts in the off season. I love the unexpected success!

DukieInKansas
02-18-2017, 10:54 AM
I would say that "some people" seem to have disappeared from this board after the gloom and doom posts in the off season. I love the unexpected success!

I believe one is on an extended holiday - perhaps touring John Deere factories. Would love to know their thoughts on this year.

I'm so excited for the team that the year is going so well. Let's finish the regular season with all Ws!

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Here's a wild thought...

I think you are 100% correct. If she isn't the frontrunner, she has to be the second choice behind Moore. Even though I am wearing Duke blue glasses, I might lean towards him, but it depends on how the Wuffies close out the regular season and the ACC tourney. He has done a truly "out of left field" job.

devildeac
02-18-2017, 06:19 PM
I think you are 100% correct. If she isn't the frontrunner, she has to be the second choice behind Moore. Even though I am wearing Duke blue glasses, I might lean towards him, but it depends on how the Wuffies close out the regular season and the ACC tourney. He has done a truly "out of left field" job.

And just think about how many more farm vehicles they have at NCSU...

DukieInKansas
02-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Out to a fast start, gave up the lead but managed to come back for a 1 point lead at half time. Definitely ruled the 3rd quarter - Miami only made one field goal. Currently up 16 with under 4 left.

eta - Actually under 5 left.

dudog84
02-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Our ladies came out smoking after halftime and turned a 1-point lead into a 13–point rout over Miami (it was never close after about midway through the 3rd quarter).

That locks up a top-4 seed and double-bye in the ACC Tournament.

Also completes an undefeated season in Cameron, including wins over #3 South Carolina, #17 Kentucky, #8 Louisville, #17 Virginia Tech, #20 Syracuse, and #16 Miami.

Very impressive, ladies. Now beat that cheating program down the road next Sunday.

dudog84
02-19-2017, 04:16 PM
N.C. State loses, we are in all probability the #3 seed in the ACC Tournament.

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2017, 04:20 PM
NCSU got drubbed today by Wake, at home. This is a really bad loss for the Wuffies at the wrong time of year, but it is great for us. State is now 2 games out of 1st place compared to our one. (We have a 12-3 record, they are 10-3. Not sure why we have one more ACC game than they do on our schedules.)
Seems to me that as long as we don't have an off game against the Heels, we have at least 3rd place locked up.

DU82
02-19-2017, 04:24 PM
NCSU got drubbed today by Wake, at home. This is a really bad loss for the Wuffies at the wrong time of year, but it is great for us. State is now 2 games out of 1st place compared to our one. (We have a 12-3 record, they are 10-3. Not sure why we have one more ACC game than they do on our schedules.)
Seems to me that as long as we don't have an off game against the Heels, we have at least 3rd place locked up.

ESPN is behind. State's 10-4. We are almost certainly the three seed. ND and FSU would have to lose their last two games to fall behind us.

chrishoke
02-19-2017, 04:25 PM
The splash sisters were fantastic. Becca was tough as nails. So happy for the team.

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2017, 05:07 PM
ESPN is behind. State's 10-4. We are almost certainly the three seed. ND and FSU would have to lose their last two games to fall behind us.
One of them is going to lose the last game, so that's halfway there. :)

PS..hoping for ND to lose to 'Cuse and then to FSU. The Orange is currently winning nicely.

jimsumner
02-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Duke has put in a bid to host first and second-round NCAA action and seems likely to get a nod. HB2 does not impact on-campus NCAA events.

Duke is playing defense at a pretty high level right now. It's funny to hear losing coaches come into the media room and complain "if we had just made some 3s" or some variant.

But nobody is making 3s against Duke. Miami was 7-28 today and to Katie Meier's credit, she complimented Duke's D. Not so Sylvia (Duh), Hillsman and others. But Pitt was 5-18 on 3s, Syracuse 10-37, Clemson 3-14, Carolina 4-26, VT 8-31. Even Notre Dame was only 3-16.

Teams consistently take 3s against Duke that look open but in fact are out of the shooter's normal comfort zone, are hurried or both. Duke has a lot of length in their zone and they use that to their advantage.

Duke used an interesting wrinkle today, playing Cooper, Chidom and Mathias at the same time for a good portion of the second half.

Both coaches cited that as a key to Duke's second-half turnaround and McCallie said we should expect to see more of it.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a perfect team. Lexie Brown is playing at an All-America level, Rebecca Greenwell at first-team All-ACC level. But a consistent third scoring option has yet to emerge, Greenwell is the leading rebounder--kudos for her but none of the post players are averaging much more than 5 rpg. Duke struggled early against Miami's press and turns it over too much.

Perimeter reserves Crystal Primm and Faith Suggs gave Duke nine minutes and zero points today. Brown and Greenwell are both averaging almost 34 mpg and it would be nice to give them some more rest. But Brown in particular is in superb condition and she's just so darn good, I can see why you wouldn't want to ever sit her down.

But lots more is going right than going wrong. Remember, Duke was picked sixth in the ACC last October and many thought that was ambitious. But Duke is playing hard, playing together and everybody seems to be on the same page, none of which was the case last season.

Winning twice in Durham and advancing to the Sweet Sixteen seems very reasonable for this team, especially if Odom figures out how good she can be and Brown and Greenwell may be good enough to carry Duke deeper. Which is a big improvement after staying home last season.

OldPhiKap
02-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Duke has put in a bid to host first and second-round NCAA action and seems likely to get a nod. HB2 does not impact on-campus NCAA events.

Duke is playing defense at a pretty high level right now. It's funny to hear losing coaches come into the media room and complain "if we had just made some 3s" or some variant.

But nobody is making 3s against Duke. Miami was 7-28 today and to Katie Meier's credit, she complimented Duke's D. Not so Sylvia (Duh), Hillsman and others. But Pitt was 5-18 on 3s, Syracuse 10-37, Clemson 3-14, Carolina 4-26, VT 8-31. Even Notre Dame was only 3-16.

Teams consistently take 3s against Duke that look open but in fact are out of the shooter's normal comfort zone, are hurried or both. Duke has a lot of length in their zone and they use that to their advantage.

Duke used an interesting wrinkle today, playing Cooper, Chidom and Mathias at the same time for a good portion of the second half.

Both coaches cited that as a key to Duke's second-half turnaround and McCallie said we should expect to see more of it.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a perfect team. Lexie Brown is playing at an All-America level, Rebecca Greenwell at first-team All-ACC level. But a consistent third scoring option has yet to emerge, Greenwell is the leading rebounder--kudos for her but none of the post players are averaging much more than 5 rpg. Duke struggled early against Miami's press and turns it over too much.

Perimeter reserves Crystal Primm and Faith Suggs gave Duke nine minutes and zero points today. Brown and Greenwell are both averaging almost 34 mpg and it would be nice to give them some more rest. But Brown in particular is in superb condition and she's just so darn good, I can see why you wouldn't want to ever sit her down.

But lots more is going right than going wrong. Remember, Duke was picked sixth in the ACC last October and many thought that was ambitious. But Duke is playing hard, playing together and everybody seems to be on the same page, none of which was the case last season.

Winning twice in Durham and advancing to the Sweet Sixteen seems very reasonable for this team, especially if Odom figures out how good she can be and Brown and Greenwell may be good enough to carry Duke deeper. Which is a big improvement after staying home last season.

I wonder though if we run into a problem like the MBB had with Albany. I still think HB2 might screw us on hosting.

Hope I am wrong.

DU82
02-19-2017, 07:38 PM
I wonder though if we run into a problem like the MBB had with Albany. I still think HB2 might screw us on hosting.

Hope I am wrong.

They've said that tournament games assigned to the higher seed are not affected by their decision, so at this point we'd have to lose our next two games to possibly fall out of the top 16. Remember that this affects NC State as well, although with their latest loss, they may fall out of hosting.

I don't know if the NCAA can/will change assignments for this reason, either. A lot of other factors to consider regarding the bracket, this is probably pretty low on that list.

DU82
02-19-2017, 07:52 PM

I loved the triple-big "pack line" in the second half. And remember that Rebecca is 6'1", so she's taller than some team's forwards. She does put herself in great rebounding position (examples of that in this game for sure.)

Some of the "lack" of rebounds by our bigs is less playing time, at least to my eye. Checking the stats, all of the post players (including Lynee in a very limited sample size) are averaging more rebounds per minute than Rebecca (not including stats from this afternoon.)

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2017, 08:32 PM
One of them is going to lose the last game, so that's halfway there. :)

PS..hoping for ND to lose to 'Cuse and then to FSU. The Orange is currently winning nicely.
ND rallied in the second for a come from behind win. Rats.

jimsumner
02-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Hope I am wrong.

Duke hosted NCAA Tournament games last fall in women's soccer and field hockey.

burnspbesq
02-20-2017, 02:00 AM
I loved the triple-big "pack line" in the second half. And remember that Rebecca is 6'1", so she's taller than some team's forwards. She does put herself in great rebounding position (examples of that in this game for sure.)

Some of the "lack" of rebounds by our bigs is less playing time, at least to my eye. Checking the stats, all of the post players (including Lynee in a very limited sample size) are averaging more rebounds per minute than Rebecca (not including stats from this afternoon.)

Duke ran that 3-2 look a lot a few seasons ago, with Alison Vernerey at the top and EWill and Hayley on the back row. Length at the top makes ball reversal difficult and also makes it difficult to enter the ball to the logo, where Hof was causing all kinds of problems during Miami's second-quarter surge. It's vulnerable to ball screens at the elbows, but Miami didn't try that very much. Nice adjustment by the Duke staff.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Duke hosted NCAA Tournament games last fall in women's soccer and field hockey.

Thanks, good to know.

dudog84
02-20-2017, 07:01 PM
There’s one game left in the regular season, and since nobody else has done it, I thought I’d take a shot at talking about the team. It’s been a great season, the ladies have only lost one game by more than 4 points, so even when they’ve lost they’ve been in the game. There are others on the board who I am sure know more about DWB and basketball in general than I do, and I hope they will chime in with their opinions.

Lexie Brown – everything and more than we could have hoped for. She’s the main reason I thought the pre-season prognostications of doom were so far off, she was a 3rd-team All-American and Final Four participant at Maryland, so she’s a team changer. Not afraid to take the big shot and delivers most of the time. I think she’s probably big in the locker room as well.

Rebecca Greenwell – finally 100% after a red-shirt year and other assorted injuries (including neck/shoulder issues from ramming into the scorer’s table last year) because she’s such a battler. Great chemistry with Lexie. Will pass Tricia Liston next year as the top 3-point shooter in Duke history. Great rebounding guard as well. Katie Meier made a great point at her post-game presser that Becca was easier to guard last year because she had to spend a great deal of her time at point guard, so eyes were always on her because she usually had the ball in her hands. Which brings us to…

Kyra Lambert – probably the most underrated reason we’ve had a great year. Her maturity from freshman to sophomore year has helped Lexie and Becca immensely. While we have better sets to break a press, she can do it single-handedly much of the time. I do wish she was more comfortable with her shot because she’s pretty good (40% from 3). She seems to be open a lot because of the concentration on Lexie and Becca and I keep shouting ‘shoot!’ at the TV. I don’t watch any women’s basketball other than Duke but this has to be one of the top-5 guard threesomes in the country.

Kendall Cooper – so glad she is back after missing the second half of last season. And she’s playing like she knows there isn’t much time left, seems to be getting better as the season goes along. I love it when the other team leaves her alone at 15 feet and she knocks it down.

Oderah Chidom – our other short-timer, she can go off for 15 and 8 in any game. Would like to see that happen a few times in the next few weeks. Slithery sneaky around the basket. My only concern with Oderah is her free throw shooting, we can’t have her in at the end of a close game.

Leaonna Odom – don’t call her ‘Ducky’, that privilege goes to her teammates. The most athletic and fastest member of the team. Love to watch her run past the opposing team. I think she’s a wild card for the team, can be a very tough matchup for any opponent. Has the talent to become one of the all-time greats at Duke.

Erin Mathias – probably the most improved player on the team. Not a stat machine, but usually so solid when she subs into the game. Great free throw shooter for a big so she will be important at the end of tournament games.

Crystal Primm – 1st guard off the bench, doesn’t get a lot of time because of how strong the first three are. A slasher to the basket, handles the ball pretty well. Great defender (actually, the whole team is defending lights out). Would like to see a 10-foot pull-up jumper from her.

Faith Suggs – positive energy player, more of a spot-up shooter. I imagine she’s a great presence in the locker room. I give her top odds on the team of being a future coach. If you get the chance, you should read her back-story.

Lynee Belton – I get the feeling Lynee is not at 100%, I think it’s knee issues. We obviously play a lot of 3-guard basketball so there’s not a lot of minutes after the top-4 big rotation. Hoping she gets healthy in the off-season as we’ll lose Kendall and Oderah.

Coach P – this will probably be my most controversial assessment. I’ve been mostly supportive of the coach, thinking that the problems of the last few years have been predominantly due to injuries. I believe guards are so disproportionately important to college basketball, and the injuries to Chelsea Gray and Alexis Jones wiped out several years for us. I think P is extremely competitive (which anyone would want) and was very frustrated. And didn’t always handle it well. She seems much better in pressers this year, which could be due to the off-season intervention, or could be due to winning curing all ills. It is nice to see the opposing coaches be the grumpy ones in their post-game pressers.

Transfers happen in all programs, and I pretty much discount freshman transfers for various reasons, but there’s no denying Azura’s departure was a shock. That being said, I’d much rather listen/pay attention to the 10 who stayed than the 1 who left. As I understand it, all practices are taped so if there was any abuse it would have been obvious. I imagine the most important interview was Lexie Brown, who played 2 years for Brenda Frese (no shrinking violet). And at the Miami post-game presser, Lexie said this has been the “most fun season I’ve ever had”. I’ll take her word for it.

Those not supporting the team because of the coach are only doing a disservice to the players and are missing out on a great season. She’s their coach, not yours. If you’re going to blame her for a bad season, you have to give her credit for this one. After the Wolfpack’s loss yesterday (and a good chance to lose at Virginia this Sunday), Coach P is very probably the ACC Coach of the Year. Absent misconduct, Kevin White would be ridiculed for firing her. It’s not gonna happen.

Me, I’m gonna enjoy the ride.

dudog84
02-20-2017, 11:35 PM
Some more good news that I forgot...we're sitting at #7 in the RPI.

heyman25
02-21-2017, 03:05 AM
Lexi Brown was the catalyst to the great season this team has had. After pleading for a big turn out Sunday our attendance was sub par about 4100 with capacity 9314.I give the coaching staff props for devising better schemes for the personnel.I think this team may make at least the sweet 16.

Karl Beem
02-21-2017, 03:08 AM
Lexi Brown was the catalyst to the great season this team has had. After pleading for a big turn out Sunday our attendance was sub par about 4100 with capacity 9314.I give the coaching staff props for devising better schemes for the personnel.I think this team may make at least the sweet 16.

Lexie is Duke's best BB player.

heyman25
02-21-2017, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the spelling correction . Apparently her dad Dee Brown former NBA player was at the Senior Day Game.
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/02/duke-womens-basketball-runs-past-no-16-miami-after-halftime-for-senior-day-victory

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=5975432

killerleft
02-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Yep, I fully expected at least 6000 at the game. The women deserved it. Sigh.

But those who showed up were loud, and we were treated to some fine defense. Rebecca Greenwell and Lexie Brown were a Dynamic Duo, as usual. Becca's 22 points and 13 rebounds were the highlight for me. Lexie was great, too. She get's off her shot so fast. Becca's tip-in to give Duke the lead at the half drew the big-noise award for the game. She was fouled hard, knocked to the floor, and jumped back up to make the free throw.

I'm not taking anything for granted, though. It's just been fun to watch the ladies playing extremely hard while obviously enjoying themselves. I'm hoping visit Carmichael and see if we can go 2-0 against Hatchell's bunch.

Go Duke!!

CameronBornAndBred
02-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Me, I’m gonna enjoy the ride.
Great post and solid summary. This year has been more than a pleasant surprise. Most years, this would be the standard for DWB, but obviously, this one nobody really knew what to expect.
I'm enjoying this ride very much.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
State plays the only victim of UNC's cheating scandal tonight. The Heels are 14-13 on the season, so a loss to the Wolfpack tonight would put them at .500. A loss to Duke this weekend will cap them off with a losing season.
Go Pack, Go Duke.

dudog84
02-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Ok ladies, if any of you are reading this thread, you're still not getting any respect. There are 4 teams with more losses ranked ahead of you, even though your 4 losses were on the road to unranked Vanderbilt (in November so who cares, even though you had me worried at the time), #6 FSU (now #8), #23 NCSU (now #17), and #8 Notre Dame (now #3). And only FSU was by more than 4 points. Meanwhile you beat 6 teams in the top 20.

But who cares what they think? All that matters are the games ahead, and you can play with anybody. Go out and show them what you're made of over the next few weeks!

jimsumner
02-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Brown and Greenwell voted All-ACC, Odom voted All-Rookie team.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211508496&DB_OEM_ID=4200

DukieInKansas
02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Brown and Greenwell voted All-ACC, Odom voted All-Rookie team.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211508496&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congratulations to all 3. What a fun season. Looking forward to cheering them on during the upcoming tournaments. I hope their last game in each tournament is a W.

DU82
02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Ok ladies, if any of you are reading this thread, you're still not getting any respect. There are 4 teams with more losses ranked ahead of you, even though your 4 losses were on the road to unranked Vanderbilt (in November so who cares, even though you had me worried at the time), #6 FSU (now #8), #23 NCSU (now #17), and #8 Notre Dame (now #3). And only FSU was by more than 4 points. Meanwhile you beat 6 teams in the top 20.

But who cares what they think? All that matters are the games ahead, and you can play with anybody. Go out and show them what you're made of over the next few weeks!

The issue with, say, Ohio State, is that they started in the top five, and we weren't ranked, so even though they lost almost every top game (except the one against Maryland) they remained ahead. I'd put our win over South Carolina over that win (especially since tOSU lost to USC.)

The rankings don't recognize that, but the preliminary seeding by the committee, and the ESPN bracketology do (Charlie Creme seems to do a better job than Joey Brackets on the men's side.)

dudog84
03-01-2017, 11:06 AM
The issue with, say, Ohio State, is that they started in the top five, and we weren't ranked, so even though they lost almost every top game (except the one against Maryland) they remained ahead. I'd put our win over South Carolina over that win (especially since tOSU lost to USC.)

The rankings don't recognize that, but the preliminary seeding by the committee, and the ESPN bracketology do (Charlie Creme seems to do a better job than Joey Brackets on the men's side.)

SHHH...I know, I'm just trying to make sure they keep that chip on their shoulder...

brevity
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
The 2017 Women's ACC Tournament has already started. Clemson defeated Virginia Tech 67-66 in Game 1. You can find a full schedule here (http://www.theacc.com/page/championship_w-baskbl). Duke has a double bye and begins play Friday night (TV coverage is regional Wednesday through Friday; this game may end up on a Fox Sports channel, but my cable system lists it on an alternate channel right now). After that, the Saturday semifinals and Sunday final are on either ESPN2 or ESPNU.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
The 2017 Women's ACC Tournament has already started. Clemson defeated Virginia Tech 67-66 in Game 1. You can find a full schedule here (http://www.theacc.com/page/championship_w-baskbl). Duke has a double bye and begins play Friday night (TV coverage is regional Wednesday through Friday; this game may end up on a Fox Sports channel, but my cable system lists it on an alternate channel right now). After that, the Saturday semifinals and Sunday final are on either ESPN2 or ESPNU.
The Hokies suffered a total collapse this season. Rewind to 7 short weeks ago; they were 15-0 and had climbed to 15th in the rankings after starting the season like Duke, unranked, but unlike Duke, not even mentioned.
After that plateau, it was free fall city, winning only 2 more games and effectively ending their season with this tourney loss. Huge wow.

jwillfan
03-01-2017, 06:32 PM
SHHH...I know, I'm just trying to make sure they keep that chip on their shoulder...

Anyone think Coach P should have been ACC coach of the year? This team waaay overachieved over pre-season predictions and overcame losses of impact players. Hope they use that in the ACC tourney and beyond.

dudog84
03-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Anyone think Coach P should have been ACC coach of the year? This team waaay overachieved over pre-season predictions and overcame losses of impact players. Hope they use that in the ACC tourney and beyond.

I don't have a big problem with this, I figured it would come down to the two of them. Wes Moore arguably did more with less (not to denigrate his players because they've done a great job, but do they have anyone like Lexie or Becca?).

Duke and NCState were #6 and #7 preseason ACC, and ended up tied #2 (3rd seed in ACC tourney) and tied #4 (4th seed). But think about this...if Duke had beaten NCState (lost by 3 in Raleigh), Duke would be all alone in 2nd place and NCState would have fallen to a tie for 5th and to the 6th seed.

Of course, the cards are always changing as I like to say, so if that had happened who knows how the rest of the season would have played out.

Coach P did overcome more turmoil, but she already has a couple of these and I believe this is Wes Moore's first. So spread the love. But by all means, use this as Us against the world!

dudog84
03-03-2017, 12:12 AM
This is pretty cool...Lexie made first team Academic All-America. That's a 5-player team, unlike the 10-player first team all-ACC (what's up with that?). Nobody from the uNC program made the team (sorry, couldn't resist).

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211512698&DB_OEM_ID=4200

What a wonderful all-around addition to our program she has been. Congrats!

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2017, 07:23 AM
The Lady Heels finish the year with a losing record, 15-16, 3-13. Awww, pass the Kleenex.

BD80
03-03-2017, 07:35 AM
The Lady Heels finish the year with a losing record, 15-16, 3-13. Awww, pass the Kleenex.

Does this count as a self-imposed postseason ban?

OldPhiKap
03-03-2017, 07:54 AM
This is pretty cool...Lexie made first team Academic All-America. That's a 5-player team, unlike the 10-player first team all-ACC (what's up with that?). Nobody from the uNC program made the team (sorry, couldn't resist).

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211512698&DB_OEM_ID=4200

What a wonderful all-around addition to our program she has been. Congrats!

Yay! Congrats!!

Yay! Go to Hell!!

Indoor66
03-03-2017, 08:12 AM

And they looked TERRIBLE doing it. 😃😎

burnspbesq
03-03-2017, 09:09 PM
On a day when two higher-seeded teams have already lost, Duke leads Cuse by three at the half on a buzzer-beating Lambert three. Defense is doing its thing, and Oderah is providing the third offensive weapon, but turnovers and poor defensive rebounding are giving the Orange lots of extra possessions.

burnspbesq
03-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Turned into a rout after halftime. Duke broke it open with a 9-0 run to close the third quarter, and cruised to a 22-point win. Cuse shot 17-74, including 4-21 by the ACC POY, Petersen. Meanwhile, Duke shot 52 percent, led by Lexie with 22 and a combined 21 for Cooper and Chidom.

Miami is next.

OldPhiKap
03-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Turned into a rout after halftime. Duke broke it open with a 9-0 run to close the third quarter, and cruised to a 22-point win. Cuse shot 17-74, including 4-21 by the ACC POY, Petersen. Meanwhile, Duke shot 52 percent, led by Lexie with 22 and a combined 21 for Cooper and Chidom.

Miami is next.

Go Devils!!!

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Congrats to DWB for cracking the top ten this season for the first time. Coming in at #9, they have only ND (#3) ranked higher from the ACC. Florida State miraculously stays in the top 10 at 10, Louisville is 13, Miami is 16, NCSU is 18 and Syracuse is 21.

killerleft
03-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Congrats to DWB for cracking the top ten this season for the first time. Coming in at #9, they have only ND (#3) ranked higher from the ACC. Florida State miraculously stays in the top 10 at 10, Louisville is 13, Miami is 16, NCSU is 18 and Syracuse is 21.

Congrats, indeed! Here's to hoping that the women will get their groove back in the NCAA Tournament. They can and certainly have played much better than they did in the ACC Final against ND.

Go Duke!

DukieInKansas
03-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Congratulations on returning to the Top Ten. Rest up and get ready for the tournament ride, Devils. Looking forward to seeing how far you can go. I say Final Four.

dudog84
03-06-2017, 04:44 PM

May I give myself a little pat on the head for predicting this exactly yesterday before the game in another thread? Also #8 in the RPI, so I'd say we're a solid 3 seed and therefore Cameron will get 2 more women's games. Only questions are the matchups and which region, ESPN has us in the West. Very few games left and none that will affect our seeding.

Anyone see us moving up to the 2 line? I don't, considering the teams above us.

A top 10 finish in the polls for this year is very cool!

DukieInKansas
03-06-2017, 06:00 PM
May I give myself a little pat on the head for predicting this exactly yesterday before the game in another thread? Also #8 in the RPI, so I'd say we're a solid 3 seed and therefore Cameron will get 2 more women's games. Only questions are the matchups and which region, ESPN has us in the West. Very few games left and none that will affect our seeding.

Anyone see us moving up to the 2 line? I don't, considering the teams above us.

A top 10 finish in the polls for this year is very cool!

As I recall, they discussed brackets during the game and mentioned you don't want to be a 2 seed in Bridgeport since UConn will be there. I'll take 3 in the west to avoid them until the Final Four.

dudog84
03-07-2017, 06:31 PM
We are also #9 in the coaches poll, and quite a few votes behind #8 in both. Still a strong #8 in the RPI. Maryland is the oddball, they are ranked #5/#3 in the polls but #17 in the RPI. That is because they have a gaudy 30-2 record, but have only beaten 2 ranked teams. One of those was #23 Arizona State at Thanksgiving who is now unranked and has one measly vote in the AP poll. The other win was Louisville on December 1. Unfortunately, their ranking will get them a 2 seed.

Anyone want to make a bet with me that, given our history and since Lexie now plays for us, Maryland will be the #2 seed in our region?

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
We are also #9 in the coaches poll, and quite a few votes behind #8 in both. Still a strong #8 in the RPI. Maryland is the oddball, they are ranked #5/#3 in the polls but #17 in the RPI. That is because they have a gaudy 30-2 record, but have only beaten 2 ranked teams. One of those was #23 Arizona State at Thanksgiving who is now unranked and has one measly vote in the AP poll. The other win was Louisville on December 1. Unfortunately, their ranking will get them a 2 seed.

Anyone want to make a bet with me that, given our history and since Lexie now plays for us, Maryland will be the #2 seed in our region?
I would love to watch that game.

CharlestonDave
03-08-2017, 03:54 AM
Excellent job by the Womans team this year .

I think that they should give a trophy to the team that losses to UCONN in the finals .

How did Duke do recruiting wise for next year ?

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Excellent job by the Womans team this year .

I think that they should give a trophy to the team that losses to UCONN in the finals .

How did Duke do recruiting wise for next year ?
You can take a look here for a summary. ESPN has the class ranked 12th.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings/rank?rank=12&class=2017&date=20161120

Edit...it's hard to know how up to date that is..it shows current as of late November.