PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Williams Gets It

madscavenger
01-20-2017, 05:52 AM
https://www.topbuzz.com/article/i6260659452401566212?app_id=1106

His Players Disrespected The National Anthem, What This Coach Does In Response? LOVE IT!

Buzz Williams and the Virginia Tech Men's Basketball team took time out to recognize and honor military veterans in this feature produced by HokieVision. Watch Buzz Williams educate his players on the meaning of the National Anthem and discuss the way the Hokie team will honor veterans before games...................

OZZIE4DUKE
01-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for posting this.

bluedev_92
01-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Awesome. Gave me chills. Great message for everyone.

jimmiles
01-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Awesome. Gave me chills. Great message for everyone.

what a guy I am really starting to like Buzz Williams..what a replacement when the time comes at Duke..in about 15 yrs, after which Buzz becomes reasonablyqualified to fill CoachK's shoes

bbq-devil
01-20-2017, 09:05 AM
what a guy I am really starting to like Buzz Williams..what a replacement when the time comes at Duke..in about 15 yrs, after which Buzz becomes reasonablyqualified to fill CoachK's shoes

I might actually start to pull for the Hokies (except when they play Duke). Totally class act.

Edouble
01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
This is pretty old, almost a year old, actually.

I actually really liked Coach K's response to a question on what he would do if his player's wanted to engage in some form of protest during the national anthem- he said that he would discuss it with his players. I also really liked Tony Bennett allowing his players to express solidarity and protest in their team poster.

Not a big fan of Buzz's myopic views.

And this whole thread should probably be taken down, as it is PPB material.

Indoor66
01-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Only if you choose to make it so.

DukieInBrasil

I actually really liked Coach K's response to a question on what he would do if his player's wanted to engage in some form of protest during the national anthem- he said that he would discuss it with his players. I also really liked Tony Bennett allowing his players to express solidarity and protest in their team poster.

agreed. i've said the pledge of allegiance and observed the flag enough in my life. i also understand that it is each and every American's right to engage in whatever protest they want, regarding the US flag, anthem or anything else. Buzz gets 0 extra cred in my book for forcing his views onto his players. I know K is a West Point product and i would be upset with K if he made a public display like this.

Basketball is a game, not a political indoctrination cult.

ChillinDuke
Add me to the list of people that came away impressed.

This completely changed my impression of Buzz Williams.

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
01-20-2017, 09:45 AM
You play for a coach, you play by his rules.

That's his rule.

End of discussion, from the player's perspective.

moonpie23
01-20-2017, 09:52 AM

totally agree......

those military guys were defending that RIGHT to protest.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2017, 09:58 AM
When Wellington Mara owned the Giants (IIRC), he made the entire team go to Catholic Mass before each game on Sunday. Catholic or not.

You play on his team, you play by his rules.

Buzz feels strongly about this. I personally applaud that. But whether I agree or disagree, it's his team and he has the right to do it.

And as Moonpie notes, we have the right to disagree because of folks who sacrificed to keep that right. So it seems to me that even if I disagreed, out of respect perhaps today is not the day to roil about it

freshmanjs
01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
When Wellington Mara owned the Giants (IIRC), he made the entire team go to Catholic Mass before each game on Sunday. Catholic or not.

You play on his team, you play by his rules.

Buzz feels strongly about this. I personally applaud that. But whether I agree or disagree, it's his team and he has the right to do it.

Don't think anyone is saying he doesn't have the right to do it. That's different from saying he "gets it." Whatever "It" is.

Troublemaker
01-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Add me to the list of people that came away impressed.

This completely changed my impression of Buzz Williams.

- Chillin

Of the ACC coaches, Buzz also gives one of the better postgame pressers -- a little beat meatier, a little bit more thoughtful.

Pretty darn good coach on the court as well.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Don't think anyone is saying he doesn't have the right to do it. That's different from saying he "gets it." Whatever "It" is.

Fair enough.

jacone21
01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Of the ACC coaches, Buzz also gives one of the better postgame pressers -- a little beat meatier, a little bit more thoughtful.

Pretty darn good coach on the court as well.

Yeah he definitely likes to coach on the court.

ipatent
01-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Sacrifice for the country deserves respect, but "Patriotism is the last refuge for scoundrels" didn't end up in the quotation books for nothing.

Troublemaker
01-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah he definitely likes to coach on the court.

haha, I meant as opposed to being impressive off the court in his interviews, etc as well.

brevity
01-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Yeah, it was posted on DBR already, in March 2016: Buzz Williams - more than just hoops (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37616)

For what it's worth, the earlier thread was posted by -jk.

It's almost as if the "Buzz Williams Gets It" problem can be solved by folding this thread into the earlier thread and giving it a title like, I don't know, "Buzz Williams - more than just hoops".

jacone21
01-20-2017, 10:29 AM
haha, I meant as opposed to being impressive off the court in his interviews, etc as well.

Well, I was referring to his tendency to be 3 or 4 ft onto the court helping his team play defense. I'm pretty sure he ran some of our guys off the three point line during our last game in Blacksburg.

Sixth Man

mo.st.dukie
01-20-2017, 10:33 AM
It's weird fo me that people tout freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to go where they want to go, be who they want to be, do what they want to do, as American ideals. Yet then think they should force people to stand for a song because it's the way, the only way, to honor America and its veterans. As if a) there aren't other actions one can do to honor the country and veterans and b) as if choosing to do some sort of protest during the song is only a direct disrespect to the country and veterans and not honoring them while also protesting. Can't tout freedom just when it's convenient for you and your beliefs. But the people elected a president who talks about protecting 1st Amendment rights yet any time someone says something bad about him he throws a childish twitter tantrum and directly attacks the freedom of the press.

Troublemaker
01-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Well, I was referring to his tendency to be 3 or 4 ft onto the court helping his team play defense. I'm pretty sure he ran some of our guys off the three point line during our last game in Blacksburg.

Sixth Man
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7090&stc=1

Ah, gotcha. I should've had a second cup of coffee this morning!

It's almost as if the "Buzz Williams Gets It" problem can be solved by folding this thread into the earlier thread and giving it a title like, I don't know, "Buzz Williams - more than just hoops".

Yeah, the thread derailment could've been easily avoided by both "sides", imo. Unfortunate. Like others, I was moved by the video.

Fish80
01-20-2017, 10:43 AM
It's weird fo me that people tout freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to go where they want to go, be who they want to be, do what they want to do, as American ideals. Yet then think they should force people to stand for a song because it's the way, the only way, to honor America and its veterans. As if a) there aren't other actions one can do to honor the country and veterans and b) as if choosing to do some sort of protest during the song is only a direct disrespect to the country and veterans and not honoring them while also protesting. Can't tout freedom just when it's convenient for you and your beliefs. But the people elected a president who talks about protecting 1st Amendment rights yet any time someone says something bad about him he throws a childish twitter tantrum and directly attacks the freedom of the press.

Freedom is so powerful, folks have the right to protest about the way other folks protest.

mo.st.dukie
01-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Freedom is so powerful, folks have the right to protest about the way other folks protest.

Yes but not force them to stand. If players want to protest they should be allowed to do that

curtis325
01-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Can't spork, but I'm in agreement.

Fish80
01-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Yes but not force them to stand. If players want to protest they should be allowed to do that

I never said force anything on anybody. I'm just saying one can choose to protest, another can disagree with that protest.

PSurprise
01-20-2017, 11:14 AM
How long til this thread gets the old lockeroo...?

elvis14
01-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Not long, today is just not the day for rah rah uplifting stuff...

flyingdutchdevil
01-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Yeah. Seriously. Love how we can't talk about HB2 but somehow this is okay...